PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward Block on Keith Rivers = Broken Jaw

Blake
10-20-2008, 05:26 PM
http://blacksportsonline.com/index/2008/10/rlhinesdirty.html

Good block? Cheap shot with helmet lead?

Sal Rosenberg
10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
http://blacksportsonline.com/index/2008/10/rlhinesdirty.html

good block? Cheap shot with helmet lead?

great block!broken jaw??????

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 05:28 PM
I was about to post this. I watched it as it happened. Guys take those shots at WR's all of the time, and personally I like to see Hines lay out some LB's. He is one of the toughest WR's of all time if not the toughest. That was an awsome play! :photos:

bah007
10-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Let me put it this way:

If a defensive player did that to a defenseless offensive player it would be a hefty fine. Maybe even a one game suspension.

But it was an offensive player hitting a defenseless defender. So great block Ward!

Texan_Bill
10-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Great block. I wish the NFL had more physical receivers that could lay you out...

DiehardChris
10-20-2008, 05:36 PM
He wasn't defenseless - he wasn't looking AND he was still involved in the play. If he was far away from the play, or not running hard to be involved in it - then yeah, it would be more like headhunting. What do they ALWAYS say about that situation? You have to have your head on a swivel. As long as it's not from behind, I don't see how it can be a dirty hit.

bah007
10-20-2008, 05:38 PM
He wasn't defenseless - he wasn't looking AND he was still involved in the play. If he was far away from the play, or not running hard to be involved in it - then yeah, it would be more like headhunting. What do they ALWAYS say about that situation? You have to have your head on a swivel. As long as it's not from behind, I don't see how it can be a dirty hit.

I'm not saying it was dirty. It was a hell of a block.

I have a lot of respect for the way Hines Ward plays the game.

But if that was Rivers decking Ward while Ward was running to make a block then Rivers would have empty pockets.

DiehardChris
10-20-2008, 05:39 PM
I mean - look at the play! I just watched it again and I can't believe anyone would think it was dirty - Rivers was ABOUT TO MAKE THE TACKLE... what is Ward supposed to do? Gently stop him and deep tongue kiss him?

Come on. Rivers should have been looking up field if he was worried about getting hit.... but man, broken jaw - that sucks. Ouch.

Blake
10-20-2008, 05:42 PM
I just don't like him leading with his helmet. That's how he broke Keith's jaw. That's how he did his damage. Keith can always get up from a de-cleater, but you cant play with wire holding your mouth shut.

DiehardChris
10-20-2008, 05:42 PM
... and I'm not saying that you're saying it's dirty. I don't think there would be a fine if the roles were reversed - because Rivers was SO CLOSE to the play - he was literally about to make the tackle. Now, if this had happened somewhere way away from the ball, fine... but there's no double standard - at least on this play.

gg no re
10-20-2008, 05:43 PM
If I have a son, Hines Ward is going to be the role model I'm going to force upon him

A child cannot do anything to make their parents prouder than to break a man's jaw in the name of teamwork.

DiehardChris
10-20-2008, 05:45 PM
I just don't like him leading with his helmet. That's how he broke Keith's jaw. That's how he did his damage. Keith can always get up from a de-cleater, but you cant play with wire holding your mouth shut.

Watch it again. He led with his shoulder, not his helmet. His helmet made contact - but he did not lead with it. Huge difference. Again I ask, what should he have done? Hit him in the knees? Rivers would have two blown knees if he had done that.

Ward didn't do anything even remotely wrong on that play. I can't speak for the rest of his hits - I haven't seen them all, but there was nothing at all wrong with that. It's not like he purposely hit him in the jaw. It just happened as a result of his follow through because his shoulder shot was so hard.

bah007
10-20-2008, 05:45 PM
If I have a son, Hines Ward is going to be the role model I'm going to force upon him

A child cannot do anything to make their parents prouder than to break a man's jaw in the name of teamwork.

What about Jason Witten getting his helmet knocked off last year & still trying to run for the score?

gg no re
10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
What about Jason Witten getting his helmet knocked off last year & still trying to run for the score?I'm not raising no son to look up to a Cowgirl.

....although it was pretty manly for a cowgirl.

Maybe I'll raise my daughter to look up to Witten.

Joe Texan
10-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Was that a QB he hit. I don't think so. Good Block and carry on Mr. Ward,
I said Good day.

Blake
10-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Watch it again. He led with his shoulder, not his helmet. His helmet made contact - but he did not lead with it. Huge difference. Again I ask, what should he have done? Hit him in the knees? Rivers would have two blown knees if he had done that.

Ward didn't do anything even remotely wrong on that play. I can't speak for the rest of his hits - I haven't seen them all, but there was nothing at all wrong with that. It's not like he purposely hit him in the jaw. It just happened as a result of his follow through because his shoulder shot was so hard.

Yeah its just a coincidence that his helmet broke his jaw and that Hines is one of the most fined players for hits like that.

You are exactly right on one thing. You are unaware of his prior questionable "blocks."

Lets just see if he gets fined. Im thinking 20K.

DiehardChris
10-20-2008, 06:02 PM
But we're talking about THIS play, are we not? I get that the guy has a sketchy past - but on this play he clearly led with his shoulder. What do you think he should have done? Rivers was clearly going to make the stop... and if Ward have taken it down a notch and slowed down, then HE would have been the one who got hurt.

awtysst
10-20-2008, 06:04 PM
From what I could see Hines Ward's helmet hit River's shoulder. I tried slowing it down to a frame by frame view but that was inconclusive. My statement is this. If Ward's helmet hit River's shoulder its a hard clean it. And I like it. If Ward's helmet hit River's helmet then it is uncalled for.
Since it looked like the former I say big ups to Mr. Ward!

beerlover
10-20-2008, 07:16 PM
even a 13 year old (mine) recognized ownage :hothboy:

Ward could play FS :specnatz:

mexican_texan
10-20-2008, 07:19 PM
He used way too much force. Kevin Walter is a great team player who never hurts anyone.

mattieuk
10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Ward totally unloaded on Rivers, and made a great play for his team. Unlucky about the injruy to Rivers, hope he gets better soon, but hey, its football, s**t happens, and he got hit bad whilst trying to make a play. Hazard of the job.