PDA

View Full Version : Texans Very Much Alive In AFC Playoff Race

Bipolar The Titan
10-20-2008, 08:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/standings

ok. (2-4) sounds bad but when you look around the conference... well, really it's not.

Jacksonville and Indianapolis are both (3-3)

That's not much better. Look at the 2nd place teams records.

Baltimore and the New York Jets are both (3-3). Chargers are 3-4. Broncos might bust the Patriots back to (3-3). The Texans are in a position to make a move. It's still early. They control their own destiny.

Congratulation on holding off the Lions. I bet you guys were thinking they were going to come back on you. Nearly did. Good luck next week against Cincinnati. If your team doesn't win that one just forget about all this happy talk.

Norg
10-20-2008, 12:05 PM
we got to win every game from here on out if we want to stay alive

i dont know if we can do it because we are going to have to beat some elite teams if we wanna have a chance at a wildcard

eriadoc
10-20-2008, 12:36 PM

i dont know if we can do it because we are going to have to beat some elite teams if we wanna have a chance at a wildcard

Really? Who? The Tacks are undefeated, but I really don't consider them elite. The Texans can beat them. The Colts are no longer elite.

The team still has the Bengals, Vikings, Ravens, Colts, Browns, Jags, Packers, Titans, Raiders, and Bears left to play. The Packers and Titans are probably the only two really good teams on that list. I know the Titans is a winnable game if they take care of the ball. I don't watch enough Packers football to comment intelligently, but even if I chalk that up as a loss, no one else on that list scares me.

Trail.Blazr
10-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Really? Who?

The Texans. Forget about the other teams for a bit. The Texans have got to stop beating themselves.

Should be 5-1 right now with a perfect divisional record.

The only team we've outright lost to is the Steelers. All other teams, we've been our own worst enemy... even the games we won.

eriadoc
10-20-2008, 01:12 PM
The Texans. Forget about the other teams for a bit. The Texans have got to stop beating themselves.

Should be 5-1 right now with a perfect divisional record.

The only team we've outright lost to is the Steelers. All other teams, we've been our own worst enemy... even the games we won.

Agreed, but the OP's point was that we still have to beat some elite teams. I can't find any elite teams left on our schedule - even us ;)

Jackie Chiles
10-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Really? Who? The Tacks are undefeated, but I really don't consider them elite. The Texans can beat them. The Colts are no longer elite.

The team still has the Bengals, Vikings, Ravens, Colts, Browns, Jags, Packers, Titans, Raiders, and Bears left to play. The Packers and Titans are probably the only two really good teams on that list. I know the Titans is a winnable game if they take care of the ball. I don't watch enough Packers football to comment intelligently, but even if I chalk that up as a loss, no one else on that list scares me.

I know most people on here hate the Titans but they are literally looking like the 2000 Ravens reincarnated. They are elite. They have allowed 66 points in 6 games this season and they have scored more points than we have. Chris Johnson is looking legit and their O-line is very good. O-line plus defense plus running game=Elite. Period.

I think we have a chance to beat them at home but only because its a division game and we seem to be out of the early season funk we had going. If I had to guess though I think our percentage chance to beat them might be about 20%. I expect the Titans to beat Indy next Monday night and I'll be rooting for them because we have no chance at the division this year. I don't think we have a real shot at a WC either but hopefully we can make things interesting.

ChampionTexan
10-20-2008, 01:14 PM

If the season ended tomorrow (one of the stupidest hypotheticals ever) at least one of the AFC wildcard teams would be 3-3 (and if Denver beats New England tonight, both wildcard teams would have a 3-3 record). That puts us one game out of the wildcard after 7 weeks. Not exactly the recipe for 10 "must win" games in a row - especially if you're just talking about "Staying Alive".

Throw in the fact that per ESPN's week 7 power rankings (and probably most power rankings you'll find), 7 of our final 10 games are against teams ranked 19 or lower and things shouldn't seem all that dismal. Lastly, those other three games are against our divisional opponents, and two of those are at home where we're 9-2 since the beginning of the '07 season.

As ridiculous as it may sound, playoffs are still a realistic thought (that won't even require running the table). I'm not predicting it, I'm just hoping for it. The one thing I am predicting is that we'll know alot more about this team at the end of the season, and while I think virtually all current judgements - good or bad - are premature, the time is coming that will no longer be true.

eriadoc
10-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I know most people on here hate the Titans but they are literally looking like the 2000 Ravens reincarnated. They are elite. They have allowed 66 points in 6 games this season and they have scored more points than we have. Chris Johnson is looking legit and their O-line is very good. O-line plus defense plus running game=Elite. Period.

I think we have a chance to beat them at home but only because its a division game and we seem to be out of the early season funk we had going. If I had to guess though I think our percentage chance to beat them might be about 20%. I expect the Titans to beat Indy next Monday night and I'll be rooting for them because we have no chance at the division this year. I don't think we have a real shot at a WC either but hopefully we can make things interesting.

I hate the Titans, but that doesn't stop me from objectively analyzing them. They're a very good team, but I still don't put them at elite status yet. The Ravens comparison might be a good one, but no one considered the Ravens elite that year until they won it. Even then, the debate continues about how that was a down year and how the Ravens wouldn't have beaten some of the better teams that have won the SB, like the Colts and Pats. Until the Tacks win it with this formula, I'm not seeing elite.

That doesn't mean they aren't good enough to win the SB in a down year when the Chargers have fallen off, the Colts have fallen off, Brady is out, and even the Jags are down. So we'll see.

TD
10-20-2008, 01:21 PM
I hate the Titans, but that doesn't stop me from objectively analyzing them. They're a very good team, but I still don't put them at elite status yet.

Yep...hard to say "elite" when there's not a single team with a winning record on their completed schedule to date. Clearly very good, but there's not enough evidence to go beyond that.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
10-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I hate to be a debbie downer but we are still 0-3 in division play. I think we would need to win all the rest of the division games to have a chance.

Vinny
10-20-2008, 02:05 PM

I don't think there is any doubt from non-partisan fans that the Titans are one of the top 2-3 teams in the league and the Colts are just another decent but inconsistent team with holes right now. Most of the league is wildly inconsistent right now (perhaps except for the unbeaten Titans) and its hard to tell who the good teams are and who the bad teams are from week to week. I think the league starts to really define themselves around week 10 when the teams have played a broader sample of teams collectively.

TheRealJoker
10-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Its anybody's race at the moment. Injuries to perennial AFC favorites, the Pats, Chargers and Colts have busted the division wide open.

If the Texans had a capable DC and some veteran leadership they would be 4-2 right now and able to take advantage of this great opportunity to be an AFC football team.

As is however we are facing a nearly impossible challenge of going 10-6 with there still being a possibility of being on the outside looking in come week 18 :(

Brando
10-20-2008, 02:12 PM
I hate to be a debbie downer but we are still 0-3 in division play. I think we would need to win all the rest of the division games to have a chance.

We do have the 2 of 3 division games left at home, so that does help.

Double Barrel
10-20-2008, 02:50 PM
While I appreciate Titans fan's encouraging words, we still have to complete our first winning streak in franchise history for me to really start thinking about any kind of chance in the wildcard race. Cincy, although winless, is not a gimme' game. The Texans are more than capable of playing down to them and giving the game away on any given Sunday.

"Parity" is nice for teams like ours, though. Keep hope alive! :texflag:

Norg
10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Ok i didnt say the titans are elite They dont scare me never have never will we almost beat them last game on there own home turf

iam talking about

Minnoseta on teh Road

Lambo in December

Chicago

Ravens D

and the colts Yes the colts has long has the got a guy called manning there going to be Gaming !!!!!!!

BigBull17
10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
I hate the Titans, but that doesn't stop me from objectively analyzing them. They're a very good team, but I still don't put them at elite status yet. The Ravens comparison might be a good one, but no one considered the Ravens elite that year until they won it. Even then, the debate continues about how that was a down year and how the Ravens wouldn't have beaten some of the better teams that have won the SB, like the Colts and Pats. Until the Tacks win it with this formula, I'm not seeing elite.

That doesn't mean they aren't good enough to win the SB in a down year when the Chargers have fallen off, the Colts have fallen off, Brady is out, and even the Jags are down. So we'll see.

Yeah, they are good(yuck) but can be beaten.

Dan B.
10-20-2008, 03:09 PM

I hate to be the "I knew all along" guy, but I saw something in that Ravens Defense that absolutely convinced me they would be dominant. I didn't predict them before the season or anything, and I don't remember what week, but it was early in the season that I saw them and I was certain that they had a phenomenal defense that gave them a Super Bowl caliber team. Now I didn't see the Ravens in preseason that year, but I did see Tennessee this year, and I honestly thought they'd be lucky to finish 8-8 in the preseason. I saw a Ravens style defense when Tennessee just outmuscled Jacksonville in week 1 though. It was confirmed when they dismantled us.

I'm not suggesting that the Tits will go 16-0 or anything, or that I am Nostradamus about this stuff -- my fantasy record attests to my total inability to prognosticate. I think 12-4 or 13-3 is around the most likely, and I think they will get the home field through the playoffs. I could see the Texans being responsible for one of those, although I'm not betting on 'em.

IMHO playoffs for the Texans are possible but extremely unlikely. I think we may get 2 of our remaining 3 div games, and I think the only team we may overtake is Indy. I don't think the Colts are quite done yet and think they are a 10-6 or 9-7 team that gives someone fits in the 1st round. I think we are going to be better than any team but the division winners in the AFC East and North. That still doesn't make us better than the Jags, Colts, and second place between Chargers and Broncos. I just don't see it, although every week I'm cheering to be proven wrong.

michaelm
10-20-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't think there is any doubt from non-partisan fans that the Titans are one of the top 2-3 teams in the league and the Colts are just another decent but inconsistent team with holes right now. Most of the league is wildly inconsistent right now (perhaps except for the unbeaten Titans) and its hard to tell who the good teams are and who the bad teams are from week to week. I think the league starts to really define themselves around week 10 when the teams have played a broader sample of teams collectively.

Just playing devil's advocate here:
The combined records of Tennessee's opponents so far are 12-26 (.315). Not a single team they've played is above .500 (three are 3-3).
Their only opponent who has more points scored than points allowed is Baltimore with 105 scored and 100 allowed.

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 03:19 PM

Isn't that the truth. This has been one of the most bizarre and unpredictable seasons that I can remember. It really is hard to see who the ELITE teams are this year. Several teams that were supposed to be strong are not, and a few that surprised us early on have had bad weeks as well.

And I totally agree with the Titans being a top 2-3 team. Surprisingly, I'd have to put the Bucs up there as an elite team that has quietly been winning and winning games pretty ugly as well with different QB's. You don't watch them on any week and feel like they are that great, but they seem to win the same way every single week. The Bucs remind me a lot of how the Titans have been this year.

El Tejano
10-20-2008, 03:23 PM

ok. (2-4) sounds bad but when you look around the conference... well, really it's not.

Baltimore and the New York Jets are both (3-3). Chargers are 3-4. Broncos might bust the Patriots back to (3-3). The Texans are in a position to make a move. It's still early. They control their own destiny.

Congratulation on holding off the Lions. I bet you guys were thinking they were going to come back on you. Nearly did. Good luck next week against Cincinnati. If your team doesn't win that one just forget about all this happy talk.

Not talking crap. This is purely my opinion but if we can take care of the business we have in front of us, I could see our record improving and the division itself getting tighter and tighter. I don't feel like Tenn. has really played anybody as of yet and I think their harder schedule is coming up. I think everyone in the AFC South needs to hold tight because it's going to get crazy.

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 03:24 PM

What more do you want to see out of the Titans to consider them elite? They've had to recover from realizing that their QB in VY is probably a bust but still won games, and then had to revert to Collins and still haven't lost. They have by far the best D in the league. Even with a poor QB and terrible WR's they are winning games. They have one of the best running games in the league and a very good thunder and lightning duo with it.

On defense they have the best all around defensive player in the league in Haynesworth on the line. They have one of the best linebackers in the league with Bullock. They have one of the best CB's this year in Finnegan. They also have one of the best safeties in the league with Michael Griffin. That is pretty exceptional when you have that many guys that are amongst the best in the league at that many positions on defense. Key positions at that.

Vinny
10-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Just playing devil's advocate here:
The combined records of Tennessee's opponents so far are 12-26 (.315). Not a single team they've played is above .500 (three are 3-3).
Their only opponent who has more points scored than points allowed is Baltimore with 105 scored and 100 allowed.Most of the NFL is within a game, or at .500 pards (http://www.nfl.com/standings)....you could say that about most teams. They have outscored their opponents 149 to 66 and have beat everyone in the division. As a contrast we have been outscored 140 to 179 and lost to everyone in the division.

dickieb
10-20-2008, 03:29 PM

Be careful trying to give us a wildcard spot... You guys just might need it when we kick your a$$ and take the division!

Just kidding - I just like to talk tough sometimes! :bat:

Bipolar The Titan
10-20-2008, 09:44 PM
I hate the Titans, but that doesn't stop me from objectively analyzing them. They're a very good team, but I still don't put them at elite status yet.

don't. I like it that way.

Kaiser Toro
10-20-2008, 09:46 PM
I hate the Titans, and that does stop me from objectively analyzing them. They're a very good team, and I have them at elite status.

Bipolar The Titan
10-20-2008, 09:53 PM
I still wish the Texans would have beat Indianapolis. That would have been freakin' sweet.

Norg
10-20-2008, 11:00 PM
I wish Indy will beat the titans next week on National TV

:texflag:

RTP2110
10-20-2008, 11:12 PM
It's a little early to even look at the playoff race.The only news would have to be bad though. We're freaking 14th out of 16 AFC teams.http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf

Yea, it's close technically. And I do hope we're still playing in January, but damn, we got a long way to go.

toronto
10-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Just a quick comment on the Titans' 'easy schedule.

1) Baltimore and Jax will most likely be around 6-3 or 5-4 due to creampuff schedules. So that will end the "they haven't beaten quality opponents' argument.

2) Last year NE had a similar run early with a hge point differential and a lot of easy wins, didn't they? Yes they were a truly special team (way better thn the Titans so don't think I am making that comparison, for the love of god), one of the greatest of all-time, but all I remember hearing last year was Belichick stating how hard it was to win, and that they would not take their foot of the pedal.

3) The next two games will determine if the Titans are truly elite. If they beat Indy/GB and get to 8-0? Get ready for your pepto, because the media attention will nauseate you.

As an aside, I've waited 30 years to see this team beat the snot out of their opponents, and i'm gonna keep enjoying it while it lasts.

Blazing Arrow
10-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Just a quick comment on the Titans' 'easy schedule.

1) Baltimore and Jax will most likely be around 6-3 or 5-4 due to creampuff schedules. So that will end the "they haven't beaten quality opponents' argument.

2) Last year NE had a similar run early with a hge point differential and a lot of easy wins, didn't they? Yes they were a truly special team (way better thn the Titans so don't think I am making that comparison, for the love of god), one of the greatest of all-time, but all I remember hearing last year was Belichick stating how hard it was to win, and that they would not take their foot of the pedal.

3) The next two games will determine if the Titans are truly elite. If they beat Indy/GB and get to 8-0? Get ready for your pepto, because the media attention will nauseate you.

As an aside, I've waited 30 years to see this team beat the snot out of their opponents, and i'm gonna keep enjoying it while it lasts.

Only thing cream puff on our schedule are the Moos 2x ...

Pit
Indyx2
Jagsx2
The golden crotched Browns
Green Bay
Minnesota
Chicago
J E T Suck Suck Sucks + Farve

10 of 16 against 'playoff teams'... if we make it show respect!

ChampionTexan
10-21-2008, 12:20 AM
It's a little early to even look at the playoff race.The only news would have to be bad though. We're freaking 14th out of 16 AFC teams.http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf

Yea, it's close technically. And I do hope we're still playing in January, but damn, we got a long way to go.

We're listed as 14th, but in actuality, we're tied for 11th, and only one game behind the team that currently has the last wildcard spot (whichever of the 3-3 teams that is). Right now, a 3-3 team would be in the playoffs, and we're 2-4 - doesn't sound like that long a way to go to me (with 10 games left no-less).

So yeah, it's a little early to be worried about looking at the playoff race, or writing it off.

Hookem Horns
10-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Sorry but this team is not making the playoffs unless some things start drastically changing.

I saw 2 bad teams play on Sunday. While the Texans were initially able to take advantage of a real bad team, their own weakness started showing pretty significantly as the game progressed.

Norg
10-21-2008, 12:46 AM
hmmm anything can happen

i just hope we beat cincy,Minn,balty

we will be sitting at 5-4 going into are rematch in INDY

spurstexanstros
10-21-2008, 09:29 AM
The goal for this team should be "OPERATION .500" They need to be at or near .500 to have a chance. post back when we are there.

10-6 till proven otherwise.

Blake
10-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Personally I think its comical to think that the 2-4 Texans have a shot at the wild card this season. Their 2 wins are against the Lions and Dolphins. We still have to play Indy at Indy, Titans defense, Baltimore's defense, at Vikings defense, at Browns. Its just not gonna happen.

Oh yeah and GB at GB...

ObsiWan
10-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Personally I think its comical to think that the 2-4 Texans have a shot at the wild card this season. Their 2 wins are against the Lions and Dolphins. We still have to play Indy at Indy, Titans defense, Baltimore's defense, at Vikings defense, at Browns. Its just not gonna happen.

Oh yeah and GB at GB...

Agreed.

Until our defense demonstrates it can stop people and not give up big plays and maybe force a turnover or three AND until the offense stops giving the damned ball away twice a game, we will suck hind tit in the division and the conference.

Sorry, but the Kool-Ade is wearing off.

The Pencil Neck
10-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Sorry but this team is not making the playoffs unless some things start drastically changing.

I saw 2 bad teams play on Sunday. While the Texans were initially able to take advantage of a real bad team, their own weakness started showing pretty significantly as the game progressed.

There are a lot of teams with weaknesses on our schedule. Lots of teams that are beatable. That doesn't mean we'll beat them, but there isn't a team on our schedule that doesn't have a problem.

Leahmic223
10-21-2008, 01:01 PM

Oh yeah and GB at GB...

I'm not afraid of any of these teams.

We whooped Indy, and they don't seem as good as they used to be. What happened last time against them was a fluke, luck was on their side that day. Even some of their guys seemed lucky after the win.

Titans have a defense but their offense is unproven, we will see.

Baltimore and Minnesota have NO OFFENSE. Just like we have a offense but no defense...these two teams have no offense and between them only their RB are any good. No reason to mark these two teams as a definite loss.

The Browns are wildly inconsistent. Their defense is bad...and their offense is inconsistent.

The teams i'm worried about the most are the ones in our division. And look our 3 losses came from our own division, just like last year we took like 5 hits from our own division.

gary
10-21-2008, 05:00 PM
We should have at least three three wins that being said I just don't see us at this point winning enough games to make the playoffs but I hope that I am wrong though. At the end of the season that little Sage screw up in the Colts game just might be the difference between 10, 11, 12 wins and maybe even the playoffs I think that at the end of the season when it is all said and done we'll have anywhere from 8, 9, or 10 wins which won't be enough wins for this team to make the playoffs IMO hopefully next year will be our year to make it happen after we fire RC I hope. I might be very wrong about this year and hope that I am. We'll see how it all plays out soon enough though. Won't we?

NBT
10-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Really funny how nobody really took the Titans very seriously during preseason. Then Fisher gave the reins to Kerry Collins and voila, they are playing like champions. Collins finally has an offensive line that gives him protection so he doesn't have to run for his life. He is playing far above where he has ever played before. The Titans, under Jeff Fisher are finally for real, dangit!!!!

gary
10-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Agreed.

Corrosion
10-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Lets get back to .500 before we start thinking about making the play-offs , right now we are at .333 and in last place. Last place teams dont make the play-offs.

ATXtexanfan
10-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Lets get back to .500 before we start thinking about making the play-offs , right now we are at .333 and in last place. Last place teams dont make the play-offs.

true, true, very true

Thorn
10-21-2008, 06:14 PM

quoting you saves me typing. LOL

Blake
10-21-2008, 07:46 PM
http://msp73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/aykis16/playoffs.jpg

Sorry, I had to do it.

GuerillaBlack
10-21-2008, 07:49 PM

Sorry, I had to do it.

The hell? What are the "plea offs"?

All the Texans need to do is stop getting conservative on offense. Still go for those big plays until the 4th quarter. They got a lead, but then just stopped. i still want to see an Andre Johnson 70 yard TD if we're leading by 21. Keep the train rolling until the backups come in.

J-Russ
10-21-2008, 07:59 PM

Sorry, I had to do it.

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/vader-fail.jpg

Sorry, I had to do it.

GuerillaBlack
10-21-2008, 08:01 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/vader-fail.jpg

Sorry, I had to do it.

Is this directing at me son? I own in gifs. :)

J-Russ
10-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Is this directing at me son? I own in gifs. :)

It was for the poster that couldn't spell 'playoffs' correctly. ;)

Corrosion
10-21-2008, 08:02 PM

I think thats where the bad teams go to line up for top draft picks.

J-Russ
10-21-2008, 08:03 PM
I think thats where the bad teams go to line up for top draft picks.

The NFL's purgatory. Neato.

The Pencil Neck
10-21-2008, 08:05 PM

Lots of teams that have been in last place in their division at 6 games into the season have made the playoffs. There's a LOT of football left in the season.

Corrosion
10-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Lots of teams that have been in last place in their division at 6 games into the season have made the playoffs. There's a LOT of football left in the season.

I cant dispute those facts .... I'd just like to see this team at .500 or better before we start talking about a play-off spot .

The schedule from here on gives them every opportunity to position themselves for the play-offs .... They play two , maybe three teams that I look at and say that this team is a better football team than the Texans .... Show me , dont tell me.

ObsiWan
10-21-2008, 08:16 PM
In this most squirrelly of NFL seasons, my definition of "elite" is that you beat the teams you should beat and rise to the level of those teams that the talking heads believe to be better than you.Also, once you get any team down, you do what is necessary to crush them. No meltdowns or "miracles" permitted.

In this crazy season, only the Titans have done that every game.

So far. That's not to say they won't eventually slip up too. So check back when they've played 9-10 games.

Blake
10-21-2008, 08:34 PM
It was for the poster that couldn't spell 'playoffs' correctly. ;)

Google playoffs playoffs under images and thats the first one you get. Maybe I should proof read those next time.

RTP2110
10-21-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm not afraid of any of these teams.

We whooped Indy, and they don't seem as good as they used to be. What happened last time against them was a fluke, luck was on their side that day. Even some of their guys seemed lucky after the win.

Titans have a defense but their offense is unproven, we will see.

Baltimore and Minnesota have NO OFFENSE. Just like we have a offense but no defense...these two teams have no offense and between them only their RB are any good. No reason to mark these two teams as a definite loss.

The Browns are wildly inconsistent. Their defense is bad...and their offense is inconsistent.

The teams i'm worried about the most are the ones in our division. And look our 3 losses came from our own division, just like last year we took like 5 hits from our own division.

Gotta disagree on the Vikings game. Their offense has been shaky, but they just put up 41 on the Bears in Chicago. Peterson is going to be hell. Making things even tougher, they will coming off of a bye week. Don't forget that we are historically and currently a terrible road team.

TheRealJoker
10-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Gotta disagree on the Vikings game. Their offense has been shaky, but they just put up 41 on the Bears in Chicago. Peterson is going to be hell. Making things even tougher, they will coming off of a bye week. Don't forget that we are historically and currently a terrible road team.

Kris Brown is gonna be the key to beating the Vikings. That DL is just plain nasty and I think our offense is gonna have all sorts of trouble against it. But we'll do enough to get Brown within 60 yards and that's all he needs to win us the game in the last seconds :whip: