PDA

View Full Version : Ahman Green - who is with me now?

gtexan02
10-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Over the past 7 weeks, I feel like I have been the only Ahman Green supporter on this board.

He didn't start the year very strongly, but over the past 3 weeks, he has quietly contributed and made a very positive difference in this football team.

He has run hard, run decisively, and run consistently. He isn't putting up huge gains, but he is constantly gaining 3-6 yards.

In todays game, he picked up that crucial 1st down that basically sealed the win for us. Kubiak clearly trusts him because of his veteran status, and I think it was very important for this team to have a guy like him in the game who knows the situations and knows what to do.

He and Steve have been the perfect 1-2 punch.

Last 3 games:
12 for 47
8 for 41
14 for 62 yards

He's averaging over 4.5 yards per carry, and picked up his first TD today.

Nothing spectacular, but exactly what we've needed. He restructured his deal so he was earning a more fair share of the pie. Hopefully people will get off his back a little, and give the guy the respect he is earning

Thorn
10-19-2008, 07:14 PM
He's played for three games in a row, the best he's done since he's been here. If he stays healthy him and Slayton are a very good one-two punch.

Texan Asylum
10-19-2008, 07:16 PM
He's played for three games in a row, the best he's done since he's been here. If he stays healthy him and Slayton are a very good one-two punch.

Seems to be that way, don't it. :cool:

mattieuk
10-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Provided he's suited up ever week, I'm happy to see him playing, no injuries and I think him and Slaton can be better than they're doing at the moment.

GuerillaBlack
10-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Having Slaton is also helping Green not having to have the full load with his bunch of injuries.

ATXtexanfan
10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Having Slaton is also helping Green not having to have the full load with his bunch of injuries.
Indeed GB, always loved your avatars

TheRealJoker
10-19-2008, 07:38 PM
He's being used perfectly right now. He's pretty much the best backup RB available on the market for us (provided he stays healthy).

He's also helping Slaton a lot. We ran DD/W into the ground in the short time he was here. Its great we've got a HC that will rest their back.

Hopefully in the offseason we'll pick up a power back to be the thunder to Slaton's lightning but for now Green is doing a fine job as the relief back.

Jackie Chiles
10-19-2008, 07:54 PM
I know Vonta is left-handed but I had either forgotten or straight did not know that Ahman was as well. Good to see him contributing.

ObsiWan
10-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Over the past 7 weeks, I feel like I have been the only Ahman Green supporter on this board.

for most of that time, you probably were

He didn't start the year very strongly, but over the past 3 weeks, he has quietly contributed and made a very positive difference in this football team.

He has run hard, run decisively, and run consistently. He isn't putting up huge gains, but he is constantly gaining 3-6 yards.

In todays game, he picked up that crucial 1st down that basically sealed the win for us. Kubiak clearly trusts him because of his veteran status, and I think it was very important for this team to have a guy like him in the game who knows the situations and knows what to do.

He and Steve have been the perfect 1-2 punch.

Last 3 games:
12 for 47
8 for 41
14 for 62 yards

He's averaging over 4.5 yards per carry, and picked up his first TD today.

Nothing spectacular, but exactly what we've needed. He restructured his deal so he was earning a more fair share of the pie. Hopefully people will get off his back a little, and give the guy the respect he is earningHe hasn't done anything Darius Walker didn't do when he was given a full shot.
Sorry. Minimal respect until he busts a 100-yd, multi-score game. For his salary that's what earns respect. I'll give you this much, as long as he (a) stays reasonably healthy, (b) keeps churning out yds at 4+ yds/carry, (c) and stops tripping over himself (which he did today), I'll stop calling for his head. I think that's fair. :)

I'm taking a lesson from the guys who say our expectations should be higher.

Norg
10-19-2008, 08:49 PM
hes alright we could deff get someone better

we should of picked up Alexander he even said he would work for the MIniumm wage in the NFL

its not like we dont got the money

thunderkyss
10-19-2008, 09:01 PM
For the money Ahman is getting, I'm not seeing a fair return. He's not getting any tough yards, and he's not getting anything the defense isn't giving us. Or that the OL isn't making.

The OL has been playing really well the last three weeks. Better from one week to the next. I think Denver South is within sight.

If Chris Taylor was healthy, I believe he would produce better than Green is. I believe Darius Walker should be playing instead of Green, because I think he would be doing better.

I'd like to say I have nothing against Ahman, but I truly believe he's holding us back.

Hervoyel
10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
I think Green's play the past three weeks has been very good and I'm more than happy to see that continue. As long as he plays and earns his money I'm not down on Green.

If the man suddenly goes "Mister Glass" on us again however I'm going to *****. He's not been on average a reliable asset to the team and there were options available for very reasonable money. I sat down around noon thinking the Texans and Lions were about to start and instead found out that we had a 3PM start time. I haven't been paying attention I guess. Anyway what should greet my eyes but Pittsburgh at Cincinnati and as I sit down what do I see but Cedric Benson up the middle for 8 yards. The Texans should have signed this man (or Alexander) months ago.

But as long as he's playing and effective I've got not one complaint about Ahman Green.

steelbtexan
10-19-2008, 09:20 PM
When the score got tight in the 4th q. I noticed Kubes put Green & he came up with a 9 yard run. This got us the 1st down that basicly won the game.

It shouldn't have come down to that.

Why does it always seem to come down to the end of every game , we have tp make a play on defense to win a game?

BuffaloglennTX
10-20-2008, 08:58 AM
For the money Ahman is getting, I'm not seeing a fair return. He's not getting any tough yards, and he's not getting anything the defense isn't giving us. Or that the OL isn't making.

The OL has been playing really well the last three weeks. Better from one week to the next. I think Denver South is within sight.

If Chris Taylor was healthy, I believe he would produce better than Green is. I believe Darius Walker should be playing instead of Green, because I think he would be doing better.

I'd like to say I have nothing against Ahman, but I truly believe he's holding us back.

So Green is holding us back from what? Fumbling away a game (nope)? Not hitting the holes quickly enough (nope)? I think Green is doing a good job as a sure-handed backup who follows his blocks and hits the holes quickly. Taylor was very slow hitting the holes, and Walker is on the practice squad for a reason. They have Green in the correct role now, which is where he should have been placed from the start. Thinking a 30 year-old running back should be carrying the ball 25 times a game is asinine. Here's to hoping Slaton and Green stay healthy and continue to rack up a combined 150 yard game.

Polo
10-20-2008, 09:23 AM
I wish Green would get less carries...Kept thinking that if Slaton had gotten an opprotunity with some of those holes Green had presented in front of him he would have gotten a whole lot more yards...If Slaton went down I would not be o.k with Ahman being THE guy again...

Good job for staying healthy ?

cdollaz
10-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I wish Green would get more carries, especially in the red zone. Slaton has better big-play capability, but his numbers are inflated every week by the one big run he gets. He gets stuffed for no gain or a loss too often. At least with Ahman, he is going to get positive yardage and makes decisions/hits the hole quicker. Slaton still waits too long before making the cut sometimes and allows the defense to string him out. He also can't move the pile/break tackles as well as Green. If healthy, Ahman is still the best back on the team, but I think splitting carries is the best thing for both of them and the team.

Livid13
10-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Green is done....cooked, over, fin.

dickieb
10-20-2008, 02:37 PM
I think the best thing in the green deal was that the front office reworked his contract this year. He now has to play to get paid, it's amazing what money can do when used as motivation.

LORK 88
10-20-2008, 03:31 PM
When healthy, he's done well for us. The past 3 games I'd say he's been a pleasant addition back to the lineup slitting carries with Slaton. It's working well for both of them and helps keep them fresh. As much as I like what Green's doing, I'm still very worried about another possible injury. I really hope he can keep it going throughout the season, I'm very cautiously optimistic about it right now. Still think we should take another RB in the first 4 rounds of the draft however.

HOU-TEX
10-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Praise him while you can because it's just a matter of time before he's carrying one of McLady's purses on the sidelines again. :photos:

El Tejano
10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
What about pass protection though. I think he has done a good job and has been instrumental in the development of Steve's pass pro.

Off topic I just got a Steve Slaton rookie card today.

Bigbots_02
10-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Im happy our run game is definitly showin improvement, HOWEVER from a fantasy football stand point... he's stealing points from me. I cut him cause he stayed hurt and now he wants to act right. Slaton had 80 yards and a TD, he had 60 and a TD. I lost by 1 *******in point. just makes me think sometimes there looking at MY fantasy football team and do this *******. Didnt help the guy I went up against had both Morris's on NE and PIT along with Lendall (fat @$$) white.

Norg
10-21-2008, 12:35 AM
i think hes already dinged up he has a on going foot problem i heard

Maybe we should give Walker a few carries