PDA

View Full Version : The fluke big play

gtexan02
10-19-2008, 06:32 PM
In the past two weeks we have completely owned the other team in all 3 phases of the game..... except for a couple of fluke big plays.

The hail mary at the end of regulation
The 99 yarder to CJ
The Screen play to Cobbs
The flea flicker to Cobbs

Our team is very, very good. Except we get fooled easily. If we can limit these, the skies the limit...

Runner
10-19-2008, 06:36 PM
In the past two weeks we have completely owned the other team in all 3 phases of the game..... except for a couple of fluke big plays.

The 99 yarder to CJ
The Screen play to Cobbs

Our team is very, very good. Except we get fooled easily. If we can limit these, the skies the limit...

4 "flukes" two games? I may have to look up the definition of fluke, but it seems more a weakness.

Texan Asylum
10-19-2008, 06:37 PM

The 99 yarder to CJ
The Screen play to Cobbs

You can still get burned by the occasional play, but not incinerate your entire mental approach to the game.

It seems that way too many times a bit of adversity happens, then the team tends to fold like a thin piece of paper.

Texan JBZ
10-19-2008, 06:38 PM
That pass today was no fluke big play. The fluke you're looking for is named Richard Smith. In that situation in that time of the game when you're cruising along, our DC decides to leave our most vunerable DB one-on-one with the only player that the Lions have. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Richard Smith should be fired today simply for that. If the Lions had any kind of QB, Johnson would have had a record day because he was burning our DBs like fried bologna.

Good win by the team, but I can't take any more of the Richard Smith crap. It's not good for my HBP.

mattieuk
10-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Flukes often cost 7 points...

Don't matter if it ain't pretty. If its happening, its costing us on the scoreboard.

ATXtexanfan
10-19-2008, 06:39 PM
4 "flukes" two games? I may have to look up the definition of fluke, but it seems more a weakness.
Well put Daddy O

TexansSeminole
10-19-2008, 06:42 PM

Exactly. When I hear "fluke" I think of something that doesn't happen often.

4 in one game isn't a fluke it's a pattern of exploited weaknesses.

I don't really blame Petey for getting burnt though. Corners get burnt from time to time, especially in man coverage with an aggressive defense (which we seem to be). It happens. Just not a good play call by the D-Coordinator. You've got arguably their only pass catching threat line up against Petey...in man coverage? I don't know about that.

It's when Petey gets beat on easy routes and misses tackles that I get mad. This time he just got beat by a receiver with elite size and speed. Not much you can put on Petey there. We know his skill set and that skill set didn't correlate with the play calling.

Simple as that IMO.

That pass today was no fluke big play. The fluke you're looking for is named Richard Smith. In that situation in that time of the game when you're cruising along, our DC decides to leave our most vunerable DB one-on-one with the only player that the Lions have. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Richard Smith should be fired today simply for that. If the Lions had any kind of QB, Johnson would have had a record day because he was burning our DBs like fried bologna.

Good win by the team, but I can't take any more of the Richard Smith crap. It's not good for my HBP.

Didn't see this. I obviously agree.

J-Russ
10-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Ain't no fluke homie, just Richard Smith defense. Sprinkle on Faggins covering CJ and you get crème brûlée.

Note: Did Faggins get benched after that play? I remember seeing him on the sideline on the next defensive series with Bennett in. Knew this guy was going to break into his craptastic self again.

TexansSeminole
10-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Ain't no fluke homie, just Richard Smith defense. Sprinkle on Faggins covering CJ and you get crème brûlée.

Note: Did Faggins get benched after that play? I remember seeing him on the sideline on the next defensive series with Bennett in. Knew this guy was going to break into his craptastic self again.

Yea, he got benched from what I could tell.

I have been very critical of Petey in the past but this time, like I said before, I just don't really blame the guy. You run that play call (for both sides) 10 times and I bet Petey gets burnt 7 out of 10, if not more. I thought it was a good throw by their QB as well.

Brando
10-19-2008, 06:46 PM

Yes. Bennett came in after that and I hope he is the starter next week. I blame the safety(Demps) for not giving Faggins any help too. Regardless, Faggins got burned.

Texan JBZ
10-19-2008, 06:51 PM

Man, I can't even blame Petey for that one. He never should have been locked man-to-man with Calvin Johnson in the first place. He's simply not good enough. Put that one all the way on Dick(head) Smith.

J-Russ
10-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Yea, I don't blame Faggins on that play either. We all knew he would get burnt if he was left one on one with their team best receiver. That was on Richard Smith, he should know his players weakness and he should of known Faggins would choke on that play, what was he doing on CJ anyways?

I just hope the Faggins as a starter experiment.... nightmare is finally over. Hopefully this is the last time he will ever start for us.

ATXtexanfan
10-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Petey vs CJ, my money is on CJ, it is what it is

Texanmike02
10-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Bad play call, but at the same time, you've gotta bet that Det is going to run the ball in that situation. Who knew they'd lee evans us?

Mike

gtexan02
10-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Apparently "Fluke" was a poor choice of words, but I think you guys konw what I meant. Lets not argue semantics so much as discuss what this is. We are vulnerable to getting fooled.

We were fooled on the flea flicker.
We were fooled on the screen play.
We were fooled on the 96 yarder.

The hail mary was actually probably designed to let him catch it if it was not in the end zone

dtran04
10-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Reeves really does run with receivers well. Luckily they didn't test him too much today.

J-Russ
10-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Reeves really does run with receivers well. Luckily they didn't test him too much today.

That one play where he ran right into the receiver should of been a pass interference, other then that he looked really good. He was def. our best CB this week.

gtexan02
10-19-2008, 07:04 PM
In the game vs. Detroit, our Defense gave up 326 yards of total offense. Of that 326 yards, 58 was a garbage time hail mary where I'm guessing the coaches told the defense to let him catch it if it was before the end zone. And 96 was a "fool-ya" play where the defense was obviously not preparing for a pass.

If we get rid of the garbage catch stats and the stupid mistake, our D holds Calvin Johnson without a catch and holds the offense in total to only 172 yards of total offense.

In the game vs. Miami, our defense gave up 370 total yards of offense to the Miami offense. Of that, 53 was on 1 flea flicker "fool-ya" play and 80 on a screen play where the defense was obviously not thinking screen.

If we get rid of those 2 fool-ya plays, our defense held Miami to 237 yards of total offense.

Obviously you can't just wipe out big plays (whats to say they wouldn't have dinked and dunked all the way up the field if that big play hadn't been there), but after watching both games, I am fairly confident that our defense is MUCH improved. We are making the occassional crucial error--- and giving up 4 big plays in 2 games is the result of that--- but if we can limit those mistakes in the coming weeks, I think we have the chance to really have something ehre

dtran04
10-19-2008, 07:05 PM
That one play where he ran right into the receiver should of been a pass interference, other then that he looked really good. He was def. our best CB this week.

I think they didn't call it because the ball was way off to the side. It was karma anyway as the Lions got some calls back later on.

ziggy29
10-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Man, I can't even blame Petey for that one. He never should have been locked man-to-man with Calvin Johnson in the first place. He's simply not good enough. Put that one all the way on Dick(head) Smith.
Agreed completely. In management, one of the things you need to learn to do is determine the strengths and weaknesses of your personnel, and do not use place them in situations that set them up for failure.

Having Petey "cover" CJ man to man is setting him up to fail. That's on the coaches.

Texan Asylum
10-19-2008, 07:22 PM
In the game vs. Detroit, our Defense gave up 326 yards of total offense. Of that 326 yards, 58 was a garbage time hail mary where I'm guessing the coaches told the defense to let him catch it if it was before the end zone. And 96 was a "fool-ya" play where the defense was obviously not preparing for a pass.

If we get rid of the garbage catch stats and the stupid mistake, our D holds Calvin Johnson without a catch and holds the offense in total to only 172 yards of total offense.

In the game vs. Miami, our defense gave up 370 total yards of offense to the Miami offense. Of that, 53 was on 1 flea flicker "fool-ya" play and 80 on a screen play where the defense was obviously not thinking screen.

If we get rid of those 2 fool-ya plays, our defense held Miami to 237 yards of total offense.

Obviously you can't just wipe out big plays (whats to say they wouldn't have dinked and dunked all the way up the field if that big play hadn't been there), but after watching both games, I am fairly confident that our defense is MUCH improved. We are making the occassional crucial error--- and giving up 4 big plays in 2 games is the result of that--- but if we can limit those mistakes in the coming weeks, I think we have the chance to really have something ehre

Good points. :)

feebleminded
10-19-2008, 07:41 PM

Nope, but Harrison did. Harrison was supposed to be giving Faggins help over the top on that play.

HJam72
10-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Nope, but Harrison did. Harrison was supposed to be giving Faggins help over the top on that play.

Ouch.

PS-Are we actually sure of this?

bo orlando
10-19-2008, 07:54 PM

looked to me like the biggest problem was faggins looking into the backfield expecting a run.

GP
10-19-2008, 07:55 PM

We caught the Lions when they were still shell-shocked by the Kitna issue, as well as Roy Williams sailing away.

I saw Orlovsky finally acting like he owned that QB spot, and I feel like he and the rest of that team will start getting their legs underneath them. In a lot of ways, their offense looks like ours:

QB: Unproven, but given the reins

RB: Speedy rookie

WR1: AJ and CJ are similar, but I think AJ is definitely better

WR2 & 3: Furrey & McDonald are sort of like Walter

The difference is in the TE, as well as in our offense having more chemistry due to being together longer.

Had we played Detroit, in our house, next week...this would probably have been a closer game throughout.

Was nice to see us march down the field at will.

Texan JBZ
10-19-2008, 07:57 PM
looked to me like the biggest problem was faggins looking into the backfield expecting a run.

:spit: You do know who Petey Faggins is, don't you?

feebleminded
10-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Ouch.

PS-Are we actually sure of this?

Most of our alignments started with us showing a single safety (usually Demps) and Harrison staring his drop right before the snap. We were showing 7 man fronts (when we were in base) most of the game.

I don't think Harrison was pulled out the rest of the game, but he was on the sidelines for at least some of the snaps in the next def series.

J-Russ
10-19-2008, 08:03 PM

Now that I think about it I remember seeing Ferguson alot after that play as well. A two for one substitute.

utahmark
10-19-2008, 08:20 PM
you got to love a defense who sits back and doesnt take any chances. we sacrifice aggression and creating turnovers with solid laid back defense that makes teams drive the length of the field................ in one play!

start freaking blitzing all the time! we give up the big play anyway.

dtran04
10-19-2008, 08:31 PM
They blitzed plenty. It seems like they aren't because they NEVER get there. This team has terrible blitzers.

Runner
10-19-2008, 08:33 PM

Apparently "Fluke" was a poor choice of words, but I think you guys konw what I meant. Lets not argue semantics so much as discuss what this is. We are vulnerable to getting fooled.

The hail mary was actually probably designed to let him catch it if it was not in the end zone

You may call this semantics too, but if these are usual plays for the Texans I wouldn't characterize the team as very, very good. The defense has a long way to go to be characterized as such.

Before the offense is very, very good, Schaub has to: 1) stop fumbling and 2) quit throwing the ball at defenders. Opposing defenses have dropped a few interceptions that were right at them.

The Texans have many of the right pieces in place, but I'll save the superlatives until they earn them

utahmark
10-19-2008, 08:36 PM
they did blitz more than usual. im just saying if you gonna give up the big play you might as well be more aggresive and the blitz was pretty successful as far as i could see. we didnt get to him but we made there qb rush and he missed on some throws when he was under pressure.

HJam72
10-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Wonderful. All those first round picks on the D-Line and we can pressure the LIONS' QB, but only get to him once, on a day that we blitz considerably more than usual. :cool:

utahmark
10-19-2008, 08:44 PM
i think we had 2 sacks.

HJam72
10-19-2008, 08:46 PM
i think we had 2 sacks.

You're right, it was two. I guess they didn't have the ball that much either, lol.

bo orlando
10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
:spit: You do know who Petey Faggins is, don't you?

yep, and he was looking into the backfield watching for the run while johnson blew right by him. kubiak even alluded to it with his postgame comment about needing better "coverage technique."

Hervoyel
10-19-2008, 09:13 PM

The 99 yarder to CJ
The Screen play to Cobbs

We're a young team and young teams have a tendency to fall for junk like this or give up big plays. It's just a matter of growing up and getting football wise.

But on the big TD that was all classic Petey. Not sure how you stop that though because even if he played it to the best of his ability Faggins is just way outclassed by CJ.

Vinny
10-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Most of our alignments started with us showing a single safety (usually Demps) and Harrison staring his drop right before the snap. We were showing 7 man fronts (when we were in base) most of the game.

I don't think Harrison was pulled out the rest of the game, but he was on the sidelines for at least some of the snaps in the next def series.

I texted everyone on my gameday text circle that Harrison was pulled right after that play...I need to watch the taped game today but I'm pretty sure that Harrison was in on that play and the coaches were talking to him right after the play as the binoculars were on the sidelines after the play. The next series we saw #25 in his place if my memory serves.

threetoedpete
10-20-2008, 10:55 AM

The Miami screen play, was nearly flawlessly executed. The first door opened when Dilles stuck his nose inside, between the two lineman instead of attacking the outside shoulder of the tackle. Simple rookie error. Always play the outside shoulder and turn the play back to the help inside. Always. Dilles got caught in a second of indecision and opened the door on the screen play. Steale got a great down field block. And we don't have the speed at safety, or LB for that matter with Ryans nursing an ankle, to hope for help after the horse is out of the gate.

Screen play was no fluke. It was a perfectly executed screen pass. Give the devil his due.

Vinny
10-20-2008, 10:57 AM
The Miami screen play, was nearly flawlessly executed. The first door opened when Dilles stuck his nose inside, between the two lineman instead of attacking the outside shoulder of the tackle. Simple rookie error. Always play the outside shoulder and turn the play back to the help inside. Always. Dilles got caught in a second of indecision and opened the door on the screen play. Steale got a great down field block. And we don't have the speed at safety, or LB for that matter with Ryans nursing an ankle, to hope for help after the horse is out of the gate.
Harrison should have made the tackle downfield but wasn't physical and let the play come to him instead of attacking the ball and couldn't shed the block...a real S would have made that play. The Fins center made great blocks at the second level...but way before Harrison.

Livid13
10-20-2008, 11:02 AM
No offense to the original post, but the Texans are a long way from being a very good team. There is no excuse for the way they simply rolled over in the second half. This team needs a consistent fire in its belly and play all 60 minutes, balls out, imo.

spurstexanstros
10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Exactly. When I hear "fluke" I think of something that doesn't happen often.

4 in one game isn't a fluke it's a pattern of exploited weaknesses.

I don't really blame Petey for getting burnt though. Corners get burnt from time to time, especially in man coverage with an aggressive defense (which we seem to be). It happens. Just not a good play call by the D-Coordinator. You've got arguably their only pass catching threat line up against Petey...in man coverage? I don't know about that.

It's when Petey gets beat on easy routes and misses tackles that I get mad. This time he just got beat by a receiver with elite size and speed. Not much you can put on Petey there. We know his skill set and that skill set didn't correlate with the play calling.

Simple as that IMO.

Didn't see this. I obviously agree.

Ding ding exactly correct, I was sitting on that side of the field and I noticed the Cj took two steps and beat Petey. CJ is huge and a phenomenal athelete, However Petey should have at least bumped him, or even laid him on the ground with tin the first 5 yds.

I did.... Teams look for that guy. Both Smith and Faggins needs to be gone. Petey needs to stop waiving at two blondes sitting on sideline and focus on the field.( I would wave at them too but focus)
Bad play call, but at the same time, you've gotta bet that Det is going to run the ball in that situation. Who knew they'd lee evans us?

Mike

Hey that is my line.

TexansSeminole
10-20-2008, 01:01 PM

Screen play was no fluke. It was a perfectly executed screen pass. Give the devil his due.

Yea, I thought that play was mostly Diles' fault. Amazing how one small decision to go inside rather than outside the offensive lineman can cost you a touchdown, but that's pretty much what I saw on that play. Of course, as Vinny said, he didn't get much help from the secondary.