PDA

View Full Version : Coaching?

Texan Asylum
10-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this, but I wonder just how much of a grasp the coaches has on this team.

IMO, there are way too many mental mistakes and lapses that should've, and could've, been corrected by the coaching staff or the veterans. The burden has to land more to the coaching staff, as our veterans aren't as prevalent; and those who are, have been part of a losing tradition the majority of the time.

Instead of the dominating high from the first half, now we head into the next game with the mediocrity of the second. Someone HAS to be bigger than the funk that seems to plague this team.

I don't know, just seems that these guys are making little league level mistakes in a big league world.

ziggy29
10-19-2008, 06:24 PM
The entire team lacks the killer instinct, which I put on the coaching staff. Not just for failing to instill an attitude to finish strong, but also because their second half play-calling with leads on both offense and defense get tentative and look like merely trying to hang on rather than deliver a knockout punch. I think that play-calling rubs off on some of the players and makes them wonder if their coaches believe they can finish.

AnthonyE
10-19-2008, 06:26 PM
We won. Our running game was great, our passing game was great. Our defense was good for the most part. Save the complaints for tomorrow, please. Ya'll are bringing me down.

Texan Asylum
10-19-2008, 06:29 PM
We won. Our running game was great, our passing game was great. Our defense was good for the most part. Save the complaints for tomorrow, please. Ya'll are bringing me down.

Not complaining about the win, but ya gotta remember it was the Lions. We gonna win against the tougher teams of the league with what what was exhibited in the second half?

Thank goodness we got an easy one next week. :nicedog:

IlliniJen
10-19-2008, 06:31 PM
This game was another example of why Richard Smith needs to go.

I agree, this team lacks ferocity. We should have hung 40 points on the Lions and we seemingly started to play to protect a lead instead of playing to win with authority.

I know we won, but I'm disappointed in how we let them get back into the game. We need some killer instinct and learn to finish with a boot on the other team's throat.

Texan Asylum
10-19-2008, 06:32 PM

I agree, this team lacks ferocity. We should have hung 40 points on the Lions and we seemingly started to play to protect a lead instead of playing to win with authority.

I know we won, but I'm disappointed in how we let them get back into the game. We need some killer instinct and learn to finish with a boot on the other team's throat.

She said it better than I!

Rep to you Jen. :shades:

AnthonyE
10-19-2008, 06:35 PM

Now I agree with this. Having Faggins (who runs like a 4.57 40 yard dash) cover a Calvin Johnson (who runs a 4.3) the majority of the game in single man coverage is just ridiculous. I don't understand how they can allow that.

DexmanC
10-19-2008, 06:39 PM
The problem with super-aggressive offensive playcalling, is that you
tend to score, or turn the ball over. The Texans used such playcalling
in the first half of the last two games, and this was the first game
they were able to put up 21 points without turning the ball over.

If you have such a lead you SHOULD be able to play "ball control" and rely
on your defense. Problem is, TEXANS DON'T HAVE A DEFENSE.

The offense and the offensive coaches get NO complaints from me.
When special teams hands the defense a 70+ yard field to defend on 3
consecutive possessions, they should be EXPECTED to hold the Lions to
NO POINTS.

Defense was what let the Lions back into the game, not the offense.

Jackie Chiles
10-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Classic example of two teams that can play one half of good football. That's why we now have combined 2 wins. This is a game that should never have been close once we got up 21.

Texan Asylum
10-19-2008, 06:44 PM
This is a game that should never have been close once we got up 21.

Exactly! I was calling a 48-10 victory early on...if we would've carried into the second half, what we were putting on them in the first.

ATXtexanfan
10-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Dude, this is the last place a sensitive texan needs to be, a dominant win today would have been nice against a team that has mailed it in

pappy
10-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Dude, this is the last place a sensitive texan needs to be, a dominant win today would have been nice against a team that has mailed it in

The team that mailed it in was Dallas not the lions , credit goes where it is earned !

DexmanC
10-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Don't confuse a team that's bad with a team that quits.
The Lions are bad, but they did not quit.

HJam72
10-19-2008, 07:34 PM
It's not just Richard Smith and his play-calling. It's also his interchangeable safeties, leaving us without a true FS. Next offseason, he needs to go.

Not to knock the offense, but Schaub still needs to protect the ball.

Spike
10-19-2008, 10:46 PM
I hate to say it, but every week there is more and more evidence that this is just a poorly coached team. I understand that it isn't all on the coaches and there are definitely talent issues (especially on the defense), but when you start seeing the same sort of things over and over again, it has to fall on the coaching staff:

(1) Turnovers.
(2) Bad - no horrible - time management.
(3) Continually making the wrong call in critical points in games
-On a side note, I like the aggressive approach - but not when you have a team that is short on confidence. This is not a team that you can afford not to take a field goal when you have a chance to put points on the board. The o-line is not at a point where we can feel confident going for it on fourth and short.

I am as happy as anyone that we have won two in a row and I am looking forward to a nice long win street. I am also hopeful that this coaching staff can start to make better decisions, but I don't think that we are being honest if we say that this coaching staff is getting the most out of this team or if that they give us any sort of advantage.

DexmanC
10-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Wow. Kubiak IS pissed at Richard Smith. Publicly he won't put family
business in the streets, but reading between the lines on his post-game
interview on HT.com, the man is DAMN honest and he pushes his coaches
and players HARD.

This team went from CRAP before Kubiak.
It's gotten better EVERY season since.
He's our coach.

FirstTexansFan
10-20-2008, 02:59 AM
Ok, I believe we all know that we'll probably not see any coaches fired before this season comes to a conclusion, but, I'd like to know how many feel like I do about this.

I told my wife before the game started today, if we drop either of our next two games, either against the Lions or the Bengals, the entire staff needs to be let go and start over. After today's win, I don't feel any better about this team than I did last week. Yes, I see some positives, but overall, I see a team unable to finish a game properly. We shouldn't be having nail biters against teams like the Lions.

I've noticed in most of the threads the complaints about time management, game decisions (i.e. the 4th down conversion we had that was remarked), Faggins blown play, fumbles at the most crucial times, and imo, and it's just that, my opinion, this team is just poorly coached. Maybe I'm just shell shocked after years of crap football, and I in no way claim to be an expert, but something about this team, and I use that term lightly, doesn't set well with me.

I'd make a poll just to see if I'm in the minority on this concept, but I don't know how :)

HJam72
10-20-2008, 03:09 AM
Ok, I believe we all know that we'll probably not see any coaches fired before this season comes to a conclusion, but, I'd like to know how many feel like I do about this.

I told my wife before the game started today, if we drop either of our next two games, either against the Lions or the Bengals, the entire staff needs to be let go and start over. After today's win, I don't feel any better about this team than I did last week. Yes, I see some positives, but overall, I see a team unable to finish a game properly. We shouldn't be having nail biters against teams like the Lions.

I've noticed in most of the threads the complaints about time management, game decisions (i.e. the 4th down conversion we had that was remarked), Faggins blown play, fumbles at the most crucial times, and imo, and it's just that, my opinion, this team is just poorly coached. Maybe I'm just shell shocked after years of crap football, and I in no way claim to be an expert, but something about this team, and I use that term lightly, doesn't set well with me.

I'd make a poll just to see if I'm in the minority on this concept, but I don't know how :)

I'd really prefer to just replace the DC and see what happens next year. I see what you're saying, but I'm just not convinced that Kubiak and most of his staff are in need of replacement yet. Plus, things just change too much when you switch the whole coaching staff. I don't wanna see this team switch to the run-and-shoot offense and back to a 3-4 D, lol. It's built for what it is now.

DexmanC
10-20-2008, 06:44 AM
I told my wife before the game started today, if we drop either of our next two games, either against the Lions or the Bengals, the entire staff needs to be let go and start over

This is the kind of quote, that makes me pose a question that Tom Jackson
once asked Michael Irvin on the air. "Are you retarded?"

This team has too much going GOOD for it to blow it up. Doing what you
suggest keeps bad teams BAD. The problem of the team is getting more
apparent. We have enough talent to be a mediocre defense, which is ALL
this team needs.

The offense is a half-season away from being one of the ELITE offenses
in the league. Kubiak took this team from ATROCIOUS to respectable, and
it gets better EVERY game. If you look at his post-game interview, you can
see he rides his team HARD, even after a game like this.

Today was the kind of game the old Texans would LOSE. This team is still
learning what it takes to win in the NFL. I'm sure they will understand
it takes more than 1.5 quarters of EXCELLENT football to be a consistent
winner. Are we so used to losing, that we would suggest blowing up the
coaching staff is a viable option at this time??

Again, are you retarded?

Tedc
10-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Again, are you retarded?

I hope you haven't offended the retarded.

I agree with you Dex, to a point, but there is no need to question one's intelligence. Most times you can make your own assumptions without pointing out what many people already see.

Right or wrong, opinions will be expressed here. Ain't it great?

BigBull17
10-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Now I agree with this. Having Faggins (who runs like a 4.57 40 yard dash) cover a Calvin Johnson (who runs a 4.3) the majority of the game in single man coverage is just ridiculous. I don't understand how they can allow that.

You sure its not a 5.47? I called the 96 yarder when I saw the coverage. To start Faggins is completly inexcusable. You bench Bennet, our best cover corner, for a guy who has proven time and time again that he cant cover the big boys.

Silver Oak
10-20-2008, 07:27 AM
like those of us in the stands and watching on tv, the players weren't as into the game in the second half as if it had been a closer game against a better team. yes, they're pro's and should know how to put away a team, but it happens every week in the NFL, NBA, and MLB.

there's always the inevitable comeback, to make those of us who like to wager on football games, a little nauseous when the line gets tight.

Texans_Chick
10-20-2008, 08:39 AM

They were playing zone. But yeah.

Chronicle has an article about how hard Petey was practicing and how he had got his confidence back. (And I am guessing Bennett was in the doghouse about something, practice-wise or attitude wise). Public praise of a try hard guy is usually one of their ways of communicating to a player.

And I read that article and thought, Petey's problems aren't ones of confidence. Dude just isn't a starter and it does nobody any good if you try to make him one.

Calvin Johnson is 6'5" tall. Petey Faggins is listed at 5'10" but I am guessing that is generous--I think I'm taller than he is. Johnson is both stronger and substantially faster than both Faggins and me.

It is not a good idea for either Faggins or me to be primarily responsible for covering Calvin Johnson. At least they had the sense to take Faggins out of the game, unlike the Buffalo game where they kept the exact same coverage with Faggins that allowed Lee Evans to get two (!?!) 83 yard (!!!!!)touchdowns (ARGH!!!!!) in the first quarter of a game.

FirstTexansFan
10-20-2008, 10:16 AM
This is the kind of quote, that makes me pose a question that Tom Jackson
once asked Michael Irvin on the air. "Are you retarded?"

This from the guy who in the middle of a thread about football see's a need to interject his opinion on politics? :)

I suppose the anonymity of the internet gives some a false sense of bravado. What I expressed was an opinion, looking for answers from others to see if my thoughts were of the mainstream, or outside of that. You're response to that was quite juvenile, and I assume from it, you're still waiting on puberty to arrive.

I'll leave it to others to give ya negative rep, but don't expect a cold beer and a handshake from me if we should meet at a tailgate :)

threetoedpete
10-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Well, TC you could say the great satin didn't call the correct coverage. If you watch the play, and the TV guys pointed it out, sure does look like Will Demps jumped an out route in the flat. They know Petie's limitations. So you could say that Smith didn't give Petie help over the top. Or you could say that Demps just plain flat blew a coverage. My interpretation of the coaching quote is that Demps was coached, and he didn't get it. That was the coaching flaw. Demps has no margin of error when he guesses wrong.

The fourth down call in the second quarter, that was just kubes being hard headed. What were they before the attempt on fourth down this season ? o fur five wasn't it ? Whether it's the guru or Kubes...no you can't go for it on forth and short with these guys. No matter how short it is. They don't have the push to get it done from the inside on short yardage. Just for the record...the line judge guessed again and the lions got screwed on the call.
Schaub's knee was clearly on the turf...the ball short of the line to gain.

If you keep doing the same thing over and over again and keep achieving the same results...that's insanity.

bigbrewster2000
10-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Well, TC you could say the great satin didn't call the correct coverage. If you watch the play, and the TV guys pointed it out, sure does look like Will Demps jumped an out route in the flat. They know Petie's limitations. So you could say that Smith didn't give Petie help over the top. Or you could say that Demps just plain flat blew a coverage. My interpretation of the coaching quote is that Demps was coached, and he didn't get it. That was the coaching flaw. Demps has no margin of error when he guesses wrong.

The fourth down call in the second quarter, that was just kubes being hard headed. What were they before the attempt on fourth down this season ? o fur five wasn't it ? Whether it's the guru or Kubes...no you can't go for it on forth and short with these guys. No matter how short it is. They don't have the push to get it done from the inside on short yardage. Just for the record...the line judge guessed again and the lions got screwed on the call.
Schaub's knee was clearly on the turf...the ball short of the line to gain.

If you keep doing the same thing over and over again and keep achieving the same results...that's insanity.
So is the great Satin a giant fabric roll floating in the air above the stadium? :)

Demps was responsible for the middle of the field on the long TD so technically there was not anyone that was supposed to have over the top coverage. 8 men in the box on that play. Petey should have known that for one and played off CJ, second he really never should have been asked to cover him in the first place.

On the 4th down call just chalk that up to karma and be done with it. Either way we would be 1 for 6. Just sayin.