PDA

View Full Version : Richard Smith Probation Period

barrett
10-17-2008, 05:16 PM
I just posted this idea in TC's pink soap thread but I got to thinking about how brilliant I am and I decided it was deserving of it's own thread....

Much like in alot of jobs, if you're not performing very well you can be put on probation for a period of time where there is a much more strict assessment of your productivity. Due to the schedule over the next two weeks we could really set up a very black and white probation period for Richard as fans. Here's my thinking....

Over the next two weeks we are going to be playing two teams back to back that have been completely decimated by injury, drama, loss of star players, starting QB's etc...

what a perfect scenario to begin the Richard Smith Probation Period or Richard Smith Pee Pee as we can refer to it.

The defense stinks. It's a fact. We're giving up 30 points a game, we're blowing leads every week, etc. etc. But you can't deny they have shown steady progress the last three weeks. Applying better pressure, secondary is improving, tackling is improving, 3rd down % is better. If the improvement continues we should expect to see the points given up to decrease as well.

With all that is going on with Detroit and Cincinnati it would be preposterous to think that we won't continue to see improvement over the next two games. So it's a perfect scenario for an extremely tight leash.

So here's the Richard Smith Probation Period idea:

How about we unify as a fan base and all bickering about Smith's job ceases until Sunday?

if there isn't continued progress sunday against a decimated offense.... as a unified fan base we demand:
fire the schmuck.

if there is progress sunday but regression against the decimated bengals.... as a unified fan base we demand:
fire the schmuck.

if there is continued improvement over those two games and it continues into Baltimore and Indy, we agree to agree that we have an improving defense but Richard Smith remains on probation through the end of the year...
as fans, we remain cautiously hopeful and support the texans front office decision to let it develop.

who's with me?

Polo
10-17-2008, 05:18 PM
I have no doubt the defense will play much better this Sunday than Sunday's past...

barrett
10-17-2008, 05:29 PM
thats why the probation period is fool proof. if it doesn't play better. it's smith's head. if it does.... he buys more time.

Wolf6151
10-17-2008, 06:58 PM
No Probation, just fire the man.

ATXtexanfan
10-17-2008, 07:16 PM
i say get rid of him

The Pencil Neck
10-17-2008, 08:27 PM
I will be rooting for whoever is coaching the Texans whenever they're coaching the Texans. I will be rooting for Smith every week he's our defensive coordinator. I expect to see improvement each week. I'm hoping that he proves me wrong, but I still don't think he's doing a good job and that we can find someone to do beter. And I'm going to keep saying it until he proves me wrong OR we get someone else in.

But that's just me.

Thorn
10-17-2008, 08:36 PM
At the end of the game, if we have more points than they do, we are good. If not, we shall blame the closest person possible. If that happens to be Richard Smith, then so be it. LOL

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Except for "feel good," winning will prove very little. On the other hand, unless the O totally tanks, if the defense can't contain these sorry O's, then serious consideration should be given to finding Smith a comfortable burial plot. And if the O does totally tank, serious consideration should be given to frugally arranging for additional room.:mcnugget:

b0ng
10-17-2008, 08:49 PM
So is that it? Is Richard Smith officially on notice for the rest of the season?

hradhak
10-17-2008, 09:09 PM
I'd agree that Richard Smith needs to be on a tight leash.
Given the relative weakness of these 2 teams I would like to see a few things:
1) More aggressive playcalling...blitzes, etc.
2) More turnovers
3) More sacks

I think these games are a perfect time for all of the above. If we can't do these things against bad teams, then how can we do it against good ones.

And to be fair, remember that the D isn't always giving up 30+ points a game. The offense and special teams have had TOs and blown fake punts etc. that have given up points.

The Pencil Neck
10-17-2008, 11:43 PM
I just want to say something about the Elephant sitting in the corner.

We have a history of making bad offenses look good when we're heavily favored and expected to do well. So... that doesn't bode well. But the thing that really scares me is... The Bengals.

Why? Two words: Ryan Fitzpatrick.

The quarterback for the Bengals is going to be Ryan Fitzpatrick aka Satan.

We really should destroy the Lions. And I think we should beat the Bengals but they've played hard in several games AND they have Fitzpatrick.

DexmanC
10-18-2008, 12:23 AM
I believe the first year of Kubiak, we had D-Rob, Mario Williams,
and Demeco Ryans. Mario and Demeco were ROOKIES, and not
as effective as they NEEDED to be. The offense was GARBAGE!!

The second year of Kubiak, both the defense and offense played
very disciplined, but since they were so young on both sides of the
ball, the greatness-to-be was only seen in flashes.

This year, the 3rd year of Kubiak, the offense is looking more elite
as the season goes on; however, they turn the ball over TOO DAMN
MUCH!! A great offense can help a defense get better, just by
STAYING ON THE FIELD.

I predict that when the offense gets better at HOLDING ON TO THE BALL,
the defense will improve, by NOT having to stay on the field for 80
FREAKING SNAPS!!!

Quit blaming Smith, blame our quarterbacks for not protecting the ball. The
ENTIRE TEAM will get better, when our qb's take to Kubiak's teachings. I
LOVE the fact that the coach wants the offense to be aggressive, and
when they learn to be aggressive, yet smart with the football, the Texans
will have an ELITE offense for MANY years to come

Look at what the Patriots did with an elite offense, and a mediocre defense
last season...

16-0..

In conclusion..
ELITE offense + mediocre-or-better defense = Perennial Contender
(See Indianapolis Colts for another example)

Corrosion
10-18-2008, 12:24 AM
I have no doubt the defense will play much better this Sunday than Sunday's past...

I dont know about that , you know the Texans have a history of making no name QB's look like the next Joe Montana .....

CloakNNNdagger
10-18-2008, 10:56 AM
The Lions have been outscored 40-0 in the first quarter this season while the Texans have been outscored 38-12.

With these numbers in mind, Smith better show that the D can hold the Lions to their historical pattern...................and Schaub better wake his butt up before the end of the game.

wolf123
10-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Hopefully we dominate the Lions and our stats look even better!:texflag:

CloakNNNdagger
10-18-2008, 04:04 PM
The Bengals head coach announced today that Carson Palmer will not be QB against the Texans next week. So Smith better have the squad looking like raging bulls for at least TWO consecutive weeks.

ObsiWan
10-18-2008, 04:06 PM
The Lions have been outscored 40-0 in the first quarter this season while the Texans have been outscored 38-12.

With these numbers in mind, Smith better show that the D can hold the Lions to their historical pattern...................and Schaub better wake his butt up before the end of the game.

whut he said!

The Pencil Neck
10-18-2008, 10:48 PM
The Browns head coach announced today that Carson Palmer will not be QB against the Texans next week. So Smith better have the squad looking like raging bulls for at least TWO consecutive weeks.

Two words: Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Hagar
10-19-2008, 11:26 AM
No probation, it time to fire him. And like you, here's my idea that wa on TC's column: Put Frank Bush in now. It's his probation time. Kubes like Bush but we can't keep wasting time here. We need to make moves. Give the defense to Bush until the end of the season, if there's improvement, great then consider him for the job, but if the defense is still inept, bring in a real defensive coordinator.

My vote - Ron Rivera

Corrosion
10-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Forget probation , forget prohibition , hang that sucker.

barrett
10-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Ok, so far the Richard Smith Probation Period is going as planned. The defense has continued to improve AS EXPECTED and they played well against both Detroit and Cincinnati as expected. More so Cin than Det but overall they played well in both games. This week is the first of a few real tests for Smith. We're going to play a mediocre team with a top rated running attack. it's not a balanced attack but we should expect continued improvement from the D especially against the pass. They may give up more yards than we'd want against the run but if overall they continue to improve then I think we can continue forward with Smith's probation period through Jax and Indy games.

ObsiWan
10-29-2008, 09:31 PM
If he can game plan a defense that keeps Minnesota out of the endzone he gets another week.

Corrosion
10-29-2008, 09:45 PM
4.5x3=13.5 ..... thats a lotta 1st downs on the ground. I think they have to force Minn to make mistakes in the redzone that result in either FG's or TO's .... Limit the TD's. I expect Minn to move the ball on the ground between the 20's.

Hagar
10-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Ok, so far the Richard Smith Probation Period is going as planned. The defense has continued to improve AS EXPECTED and they played well against both Detroit and Cincinnati as expected. More so Cin than Det but overall they played well in both games. This week is the first of a few real tests for Smith. We're going to play a mediocre team with a top rated running attack. it's not a balanced attack but we should expect continued improvement from the D especially against the pass. They may give up more yards than we'd want against the run but if overall they continue to improve then I think we can continue forward with Smith's probation period through Jax and Indy games.Oh please, its Detroit and Cincinnati. If we're getting excited about beating up on those two teams then its a sad state of affairs in Texas.

If he has success against teams that actually have an offense, then I'll start to re-evaluate my position.