PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Solomon Article on Schuab

HoustonFrog
10-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah we have heard alot of things over the last few weeks and Solomon isn't always my favorite but he asks alot of the same questions that I have seemed to ask here and he has alot of the same thoughts. I don't blindly accept he is better than Sage, etc or that he will end up being a star but SOME people are pretty bad fans when it comes to the situation...this is parts and pieces of it.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/6060889.html

.............................Schaub needs somebody to tell the world that he is the now and future quarterback of the Texans. Somebody to tell us that when his career ends, heíll go down as a great Houston quarterback.

Maybe Schaub just needs somebody to tell football fans in Houston just how cool he actually is. Thatís all.

Heís the better QB
Schaub, wide-eyed optimist that he is, came to town looking to make the city like him through his play. Right now, that is not good enough. Oh, most often his play should be good enough for people to like him, but for some reason, many are slow to recognize that.

Some fans at Reliant Stadium this past Sunday chose to boo Schaub after he threw a couple of early interceptions against Miami. (Thatís OK). They compounded the insult by calling for his backup by name. (Hello?).

Chanting for Sage Rose-and-the-ball-fell, who single-handedly gave away a sure Texans victory the last time he was on the field, is akin to saying, ďThank You, sir. May I have another?Ē

Is there something about the torture that yíall alike?

Have you married the wrong spouse more than once? Do you regularly take a second helping of spoiled milk? How many times did your mama have to tell you not to touch that hot stove before you stopped touching that hot stove?

They of little faith
From what I see, itís not that people think Rosenfels is better than Schaub so much as they are afraid to believe in Schaub.

Thatís the El Ocho Viejo effect combined with the H-Town QB Scorn Syndrome.

Consequently, Schaub is being held to a higher standard. He is being measured against the standard of greatness that Houston NFL fans have come to expect from its quarterbacks. You know, the Super Bowl legacies of Ö...

Sorry, thatís a publicistís line.

For a city regarded as soft on sports figures, Hous- ton has been rough on quar-terbacks. Dan Pastorini came in with flair and was quickly cooled down. Warren Moon arrived with fanfare and was almost driven out of town.............................................. .....

He comes to the stadium on off days to prepare for games. He does all media requests the team gives him, but he has turned down dozens of endorsements opportunities, radio shows and the like because he wants to earn the attention.

He is confident. So confident that he laughed when he entered the huddle while home fans were jeering him.

His teammates like and respect him. They enjoy hanging out with him. Owen Daniels and Andre Johnson, his top two targets, might be as close to him as anybody on the team.

When Schaub hosted a barbecue during OTAs, his teammates had a blast. When he had them over for a shindig after minicamp, all had a good time.

The coaching staff believes in him. The front-office staff loves him. The media canít even fabricate a complaint about him.

Yet for some reason, there are fans who have concluded that the Texans donít consider Schaub a leader. Daniels says Schaub should hire him as a publicist.

ďMattís a great guy. I vouch for him,Ē Daniels said.

ďHeís a professional. He prepares as well as anybody Iíve seen prepare in terms of knowing what a defense is doing and knowing our game plan like the back of his hand. Heís a good buddy, a funny guy thatís easygoing around the locker room. Heís a guyís guy.Ē

eriadoc
10-16-2008, 01:22 PM
That's all well and good, and I agree with much of it, but really, at the end of it all, there's one thing that trumps all:

8 turnovers in 4 games.

If he wants to shut the critics up, cut that down. It's really simple.

HoustonFrog
10-16-2008, 01:29 PM
That's all well and good, and I agree with much of it, but really, at the end of it all, there's one thing that trumps all:

8 turnovers in 4 games.

Agreed. But I do think that people are a little messed up when they give him no credit for a great game he lost..J'Ville and then chant for a guy who just single handedly gave away a win the week before. I'll post again what yahoo said yesterday

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-32questions101408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

25. Houston Texans: Were thousands of Texans fans roasting turkeys on Sunday, or were they actually calling for a quarterback who’d blown the previous game by turning over the ball three times in the final four minutes?

I think both guys are struggling at times but people need to just accept the situation and see where it heads this season. In all reality, if it isn't Schaub it will be a draft pick or a new vet.

Mr teX
10-16-2008, 01:30 PM
& what trumps 3 turnovers in 4 minutes to lose a game that was a sure-fire win?

eriadoc
10-16-2008, 01:40 PM
I've never called for Sage over Schaub, and I'm not one to get caught up in stadium chants. Without bringing Sage into the conversation at all, Schaub's judgment will come down to one single thing for me - his ability to make sound decisions on the football field. He has consistently made questionable throws in games dating back to his first. Sometimes he gets away with and sometimes he doesn't. Every QB makes questionable throws from time to time, but Schaub's off the deep end with it. His numbers reflect it, and those of that have watched the games know that his INTs could actually be higher.

This has nothing to do with Sage, for me.

HoustonFrog
10-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I've never called for Sage over Schaub, and I'm not one to get caught up in stadium chants. Without bringing Sage into the conversation at all, Schaub's judgment will come down to one single thing for me - his ability to make sound decisions on the football field. He has consistently made questionable throws in games dating back to his first. Sometimes he gets away with and sometimes he doesn't. Every QB makes questionable throws from time to time, but Schaub's off the deep end with it. His numbers reflect it, and those of that have watched the games know that his INTs could actually be higher.

Again, well said. It will come down to just that and in the end it will be him or next year will be a rookie learning or a vet coming in.

Texan_Bill
10-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Yeah we have heard alot of things over the last few weeks and Solomon isn't always my favorite but he asks alot of the same questions that I have seemed to ask here and he has alot of the same thoughts. I don't blindly accept he is better than Sage, etc or that he will end up being a star but SOME people are pretty bad fans when it comes to the situation...this is parts and pieces of it.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/6060889.html

Greeeaaaaat!!! Frog and Queen Soloman thinking alike :gun:

;)

HOU-TEX
10-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Speaking of Frogs. Huge game tonight for TCU.

Can they upset #9 BYU???? Will TCU's vaunted 'D' have a better showing than the OU game????

Find out tonight!!

Sorry for the randomness. :cool:

HoustonFrog
10-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Greeeaaaaat!!! Frog and Queen Soloman thinking alike :gun:

;)

I know, probably the one and only time!!

Speaking of Frogs. Huge game tonight for TCU.

Can they upset #9 BYU???? Will TCU's vaunted 'D' have a better showing than the OU game????

Find out tonight!!

Sorry for the randomness. :cool:

It's huge. I just don't know if the secondary can hack it. In the past TCU has had one of the top defenses and they really showed it...games against Nebraska years ago and Oklahoma 2 years ago but they show some cracks against the pass now. We need our stud DE to get pressure.

Mr teX
10-16-2008, 02:48 PM

Yeah but that's not saying much....that's true for all Qb's.

never mind the booers...a good portion of those are full on adult beverages & the others are just idiots... a big reason i don't like going to games of any sort.

IMO, What some fail to grasp, or just don't care about to really pay attention to, is that he's also barely finishing his 1st year as a starter this year. Despite him being in the league for 3 years, he's pretty much still a rookie starter as he missed a ton of games last year.... his play to this point essentially says that...some flashes & then...

He's never gonna put amazing stats like a Manning or Favre. But as long as Kubes keeps surrounding him with better talent, i could see him reaching say a Bernie Kosar type level....serviceable you know.

Double Barrel
10-16-2008, 02:50 PM
He is confident. So confident that he laughed when he entered the huddle while home fans were jeering him.

I gotta' dig that quote. It's the only way to be.

Schaub is still learning, but I see the potential for him to be a good QB in this league. In spite of his own mistakes, he still kept his head in the game and did what he needed to to when it mattered most.

HOU-TEX
10-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I know, probably the one and only time!!

It's huge. I just don't know if the secondary can hack it. In the past TCU has had one of the top defenses and they really showed it...games against Nebraska years ago and Oklahoma 2 years ago but they show some cracks against the pass now. We need our stud DE to get pressure.

I know I'll be watching. I actually like both teams, but I'd like to see TCU pull it out. It'll really be BYU's first test of the season. They really haven't played anybody. Their QB looks like a good one too.

:popcorn:

The Pencil Neck
10-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Yeah but that's not saying much....that's true for all Qb's.

never mind the booers...a good portion of those are full on adult beverages & the others are just idiots... a big reason i don't like going to games of any sort.

IMO, What some fail to grasp, or just don't care about to really pay attention to, is that he's also barely finishing his 1st year as a starter this year. Despite him being in the league for 3 years, he's pretty much still a rookie starter as he missed a ton of games last year.... his play to this point essentially says that...some flashes & then...

He's never gonna put amazing stats like a Manning or Favre. But as long as Kubes keeps surrounding him with better talent, i could see him reaching say a Bernie Kosar type level....serviceable you know.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your basic point... but...

This is his 5th year in the league, not his 3rd. He shouldn't really be getting a pass on anything because of inexperience.

And I also disagree with you in that I think he CAN put up amazing stats. If he stays healthy for a year, he can put up some huge numbers. Unfortunately, like guys like Favre and Elway, that looks like some pretty high interception numbers, too. If he can get the red zone and his short passing game working, he could be a great QB.

infantrycak
10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
And I also disagree with you in that I think he CAN put up amazing stats.

Yup, his pace would project to 4300 yards on a season. We won't talk about how his INT's would project right now.

eriadoc
10-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Yup, his pace would project to 4300 yards on a season. We won't talk about how his INT's would project right now.

*cough*26notcountingfumbles*cough*

Most reasonable people recognize that the jury is still out on Schaub, and there are some indications that he could put up some incredible numbers. Those same people ought to also recognize that there are indications he could be a bad QB. It's too early to tell, but we're probably about halfway through the evaluation process at this point.

El Tejano
10-16-2008, 03:35 PM
How about we get in Schaub's corner this week to try and get a win against Detroit?

Tedc
10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
People still read this guy? I thought he had a radio show in San Antonio.

Mr teX
10-16-2008, 03:39 PM

Good point I-cak...4300 yds is very good until your eyes move further right into that Interception column.

HoustonFrog
10-16-2008, 03:41 PM
People still read this guy? I thought he had a radio show in San Antonio.

Sorry I caught this while reading the sports in my "other office"

Tedc
10-16-2008, 03:44 PM
.......... in my "other office"

A very appropriate place for one of his articles.

Hervoyel
10-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Most reasonable people recognize that the jury is still out on Schaub, and there are some indications that he could put up some incredible numbers. Those same people ought to also recognize that there are indications he could be a bad QB. It's too early to tell, but we're probably about halfway through the evaluation process at this point.

Yeah but ol' timeless himself Brett Favre threw 20+ picks 5 times in his career and chucked up 24 of them in his second season as a starter. I'm not saying Schaub is another Favre but he is just in his second season as a starter and it's obvious that even the great ones throw a few picks (and sometimes a lot of picks).

I think he's still got some time to get that ironed out.

Yankee_In_TX
10-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Agreed. But I do think that people are a little messed up when they give him no credit for a great game he lost..J'Ville and then chant for a guy who just single handedly gave away a win the week before. I'll post again what yahoo said yesterday

I think both guys are struggling at times but people need to just accept the situation and see where it heads this season. In all reality, if it isn't Schaub it will be a draft pick or a new vet.

I am the king of defending the right to boo. But even I was a little emberassed by the Sage chants after the previous week. It's bad when players run by the Bullpen and tell you to stop booing.

Double Barrel
10-16-2008, 03:55 PM
I am the king of defending the right to boo. But even I was a little emberassed by the Sage chants after the previous week. It's bad when players run by the Bullpen and tell you to stop booing.

Ouch. Fortunately, our QB is no worse for wear.

Football has got no place for the thin-skinned that can't take a little criticism from tens of thousands of disenchanted fans. [/sarcasm]

GlassHalfFull
10-16-2008, 04:01 PM

I am not a big fan of fans booing our players and would never contribute myself. However, I think the Schaub booing on Sunday was a "perfect storm" situation. Throwing those two picks after the crazy loss the previous week and being 0-4 was just too much for some people. And truthfully, I read the calls for Sage as more facetious than anything else. I didn't think people were being serious, it was more a sarcastic thing, if that makes sense. And after the comeback, hopefully all of that is over.

Edit: At the time, I laughed at the boos and told the guy behind me to call for Owen Daniels, if he had to call for someone. He laughed also, and stopped.

Edit of the Edit: Maybe I wasn't laughing, now that I think about it. I may have been crying.

HoustonFrog
10-16-2008, 04:05 PM

I don't mind booing when appropriate but Sage chants are a little out of line considering the week before.

eriadoc
10-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah but ol' timeless himself Brett Favre threw 20+ picks 5 times in his career and chucked up 24 of them in his second season as a starter. I'm not saying Schaub is another Favre but he is just in his second season as a starter and it's obvious that even the great ones throw a few picks (and sometimes a lot of picks).

I think he's still got some time to get that ironed out.

Maybe, but there are a couple key differences. First, they threw a lot of TDs to counter those INTs. Lots of people sort of associate high INT numbers with Favre, but he has thrown 455 TDs to counter his 294 picks. Elway threw a lot of picks early in his career, but it was a different era then. QBs generally got more time to develop back then. In part because of the salaries these guys get paid, I don't think Schaub will be allowed that leeway.

I think this is the litmus test season for Schaub. If he hasn't shown he's the guy by the end of the season, he'll still be our starter next year, but there will be someone holding a clipboard with an eye on the job.

Double Barrel
10-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I am not a big fan of fans booing our players and would never contribute myself. However, I think the Schaub booing on Sunday was a "perfect storm" situation. Throwing those two picks after the crazy loss the previous week and being 0-4 was just too much for some people. And truthfully, I read the calls for Sage as more facetious than anything else. I didn't think people were being serious, it was more a sarcastic thing, if that makes sense. And after the comeback, hopefully all of that is over.

The guys chanting for Sage around me seemed to be serious, at least judging by the number of F-bombs they were dropping with regards to Schaub.

I found it sort of amusing, in that tragic comedy kind of way.

Hooston Texan
10-16-2008, 04:45 PM
The fanbase has long been fractured on the subject of the starting QB.

First, there was the "Is this David Carr the answer?" debate that ran for most of the Capers years. A subset of this debate was "is Carr or the OL to blame".

Then came the mother of all fissures: the "do we draft Vince" debate (also known as "Vince or Reggie" and then became "Vince or Reggie or Mario"). The pro-Vince side, of course, wanted Vince. The anti-Vince side either claimed Carr should get a shot under the renowned QB guru we just hired or just did not want Vince.

While the VY scrape never really calmed down, the "Carr versus Rosenfels" debate began in the 2006 season and lasted until Sage's injury that year. But upon the start of the offseason, that debate started anew.

When it came time to make the decision on the QB, the Texans, in essence, chose "none of the above" and traded for Schaub.

So, to the guys who advocated Carr (not that anyone's willing to admit that publicly these days), Schaub was the one who punched his ticket out of town. To the guys who advocated Vince, Schaub simply became the next Texan QB who was Not-Vince. To the guys who advocated Sage, Schaub became the guy who unfairly blocked his path to the starter's spot.

We're a fractured bunch, and only some demonstrated performance and positive results will bring unity.

Nawzer
10-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Matt Schaub is my guy. I think he's a better qb than Sage Rosenfels. Talent wise there might not be that much of a difference but I think Schaub is the better of the two. I don't think Schaub will ever be a superstar qb in this leauge, but I think he will do enough to help us win games. I'm sticking with Schaub at least until the end of the season. I think we have to wait till he actually plays 13 or 14 games in a row before we can judge him.

The Pencil Neck
10-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Good point I-cak...4300 yds is very good until your eyes move further right into that Interception column.

Now... go look at the stats for guys like Favre and Elway and Bradshaw and you'll see lots of years where they had more picks than TD's. Especially early on in their careers. Even Peyton has had a couple of years with more than 20 interceptions (granted, one of those was his rookie year.) Are you going to tell me that all those guys were bad QB's?

And... at this point... Schaub isn't even done with this year, his second as a starter. He's got a lot to learn and he's shown tons of promise at this point. It's just way too early to ditch him and start over. IMO.

The Pencil Neck
10-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Maybe, but there are a couple key differences. First, they threw a lot of TDs to counter those INTs. Lots of people sort of associate high INT numbers with Favre, but he has thrown 455 TDs to counter his 294 picks. Elway threw a lot of picks early in his career, but it was a different era then. QBs generally got more time to develop back then. In part because of the salaries these guys get paid, I don't think Schaub will be allowed that leeway.

I think this is the litmus test season for Schaub. If he hasn't shown he's the guy by the end of the season, he'll still be our starter next year, but there will be someone holding a clipboard with an eye on the job.

Let's take a look at Favre 5 games into his second year as a starter.

At that point, the Packers were 2-3. Favre had thrown 5 TD's and 10 INT's.

When you look at guys like Favre and Elway over their entire career, their TD to INT ratio looks much better than if you actually look at specific years. It's unfair to look at Favre's overall numbers and compare them to Schaub's numbers so far. Over his first two years, Favre had 37 TD's and 37 INT's. Just 2 years ago, Favre went 18-18 and the year before that he went 20-29.

I think Schaub just needs some time to work his way out of this bad spot. And frankly, I think he has. But we need to see what his numbers are at the end of this year... unless he just turns into a interception machine. If he continues to throw lots interceptions, then he needs to be pulled. But he deserves the change to show what he can do.

Heath Shuler
10-16-2008, 05:33 PM
I think Solomon is a piss poor excuse for a columnist and if you need any proof here it is(from the article):

It was taken to a new level when David Carr hit town with high expectations and a huge salary, then departed as the most disrespected figure in Houston sports history.

How do you disrespect a QB as bad as Carr?

Norg
10-16-2008, 06:08 PM
hey hey we have gotten better we gave Mr Mittens 5 solid years before showing him the door

whos to say we wont give Matt 5 years

heck some Teams around the league give 2 years or less with there QB LOL

IMO Houston has gotten better with there QB

threetoedpete
10-17-2008, 01:08 AM

Well let's see, the stud rookie misses two chip blocks. One was a ricochet job. And one Brown just got beat. Sage is never going to be anything other than a streaky Qb. He's been that his hole career. You've got two picks and forty-eight million invested in the guy. Unless Mr. McNair takes a wrecking ball to the thing, they aren't going to make a switch. Kubiak is loyal to the vets to a fault. The more the o-line improves the better the guy will get. His throws were horrible last week. There's no getting around that fact. And Kubiak stuck with him. Read what you will into that. What I see is a HC who is going to sink or swim with this guy.

buddyboy
10-17-2008, 01:46 AM
Well let's see, the stud rookie misses two chip blocks. One was a ricochet job. And one Brown just got beat. Sage is never going to be anything other than a streaky Qb. He's been that his hole career. You've got two picks and forty-eight million invested in the guy. Unless Mr. McNair takes a wrecking ball to the thing, they aren't going to make a switch. Kubiak is loyal to the vets to a fault. The more the o-line improves the better the guy will get. His throws were horrible last week. There's no getting around that fact. And Kubiak stuck with him. Read what you will into that. What I see is a HC who is going to sink or swim with this guy.

Are you advocating putting in Sage?

BigBull17
10-17-2008, 07:23 AM

8 turnovers in 4 games.

Well, 8 in 4 games, compaired to 3 in one game. If you stretch Sages out to 4 games, its 12. Haha

HJam72
10-17-2008, 07:39 AM
I will definitely wait 'till the end of the season on Schaub, but that doesn't mean I won't gripe (about both of them). :)

Kaiser Toro
10-17-2008, 08:52 AM
I am a Schaub supporter and I booed him last week. I also cheered for him.

When players give me something to cheer for I cheer. When they stink it up, I boo.

I often think that if we booed a little more during the Dark Ages it may have helped getting rid of the former regime faster.

HOU-TEX
10-17-2008, 08:56 AM
I think Solomon is a piss poor excuse for a columnist and if you need any proof here it is(from the article):

It was taken to a new level when David Carr hit town with high expectations and a huge salary, then departed as the most disrespected figure in Houston sports history.

How do you disrespect a QB as bad as Carr?

Poor beer on his wife. :worm:

The dude sucked as a QB, but damn, pooring beer on his wife is just weak. Only a spineless punk would do something like that.

texanhead08
10-17-2008, 04:52 PM
I wanted some of that stuff the people chanting for Sage were smoking. I could have used it after the past couple games.

Texecutioner
10-17-2008, 05:17 PM

That seems pretty fair.

Ole Miss Texan
10-17-2008, 05:39 PM
I typically use stats as only a fraction of a tool when comparing players b/c circumstances, opposing teams, conditions are all different. Additionally, they can be VERY misleading at times while at other times paint a very good picture. I've never hid the fact that I'm a big Schaub fan. I've also never hid the fact that I think Sage is a good QB and I really like the guy. If I had to pick the QB for the Texans, I'd pick Schaub 10 times out of 10- but the decision isn't mine.

Here's Matt and Sage's full 2008 season if you were to project (again misleading):
Schaub: Record 4-12- 372 completions on 608 attempts for 4,304 yards. 20 TD's, 28 INT's, 56 rushes for 220 yds 8 TD's with 16 Fumbles (4 Lost)

Rosenfels: Record 0-16- 336 completions on 528 attempts for 3,936 yards. 16 TD's, 16 INT's, 64 rushes for 256 yds, 0 TD's with 48 Fumbles (32 Lost)

Again, I think that's very misleading esp. on Sage's part b/c he's only had 1 shot and this is assuming he has 16 epic meltdowns in a row, which is highly unlikely. But there's the stats.

ObsiWan
10-17-2008, 06:18 PM

Booing the starting QB is a Houston tradition. Think back to the Oiler days, those of you who were around. Can you think of anyone who lined up under center that wasn't booed mercilessly when the team was losing??
Dante Pastorini was booed
Snake Stabler was booed
Moon was booed and called everything but a child of God
Steve McNair was booed - although not as badly as Pasto and Moon
And after the we-beat-the-hated-Cowboys honeymoon was over, Carr was booed (although, inexplicably, the ladies kept supporting him even when it was clear he sucked. Some still do)

Well, now its Schaub's turn. He should be thankful he's not in Philly.

But like others have said, when we start winning - regularly - the boos will turn to cheers.

We fans are finicky like that. And, trust me, many of the folks that booed him will swear they "KNEW all along" that Schaub was The One" Hell, they may start calling him Neo.

worldlyman
10-17-2008, 07:32 PM
I personally try not to count the games against the Titans and Steelers, two very rough and tough defenses on the road to start the season, the lack of a running game and protection and all that.

If I remember correctly, Matt Schaub was over 300 yards with 3 tds and NO PICKS against a decent Jacksonville Jags team that controlled the vaunted Denver Broncos and Jay Cutler in the Mile High City!

Let's face it, the Miami Dolphins are a TOUGHER team than what they appear to be...their win against the Chargers exemplary.

The Texans looked confused and bewildered by the Fins' Wildcat, falling behind 3-14 to start. Of course, Schaub made a couple bad decisions in trying to make a comeback. And Joey Porter was in his faceguard and blindside a good part of the game.

But in his last two starts, Schaub is 4 tds and 2 picks. 650+ yards. Damn impressive even if a little flawed.

I guess all the nitpickers would love to have Vince Quitter Young here?

We know that Rosenfels couldn't handle a two minute offense. I still like having Sage as a backup as LONG AS he learned from his mistake. But do people forget that Schaub engineered two successful two minute drives?

The intangibles, people. Look how Schaub fought to get the victory, despite the Dolphins pressure and idiotic booing!

Look toward the improvement. Forget the first two games of the season! Hopefully, he can go Dan Fouts all over the Lions this Sunday.

I love the Texans but I think many fans and their judgement of Schaub is missing something in the big picture.

Nope, I think Schaub has a chance to become an excellent quarterback here.

Heath Shuler
10-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Poor beer on his wife. :worm:

The dude sucked as a QB, but damn, pooring beer on his wife is just weak. Only a spineless punk would do something like that.

Agree wholeheartedly, the people around that loser should have made sure that he never did anything like that again. However, I donít think one act made Carr ďthe most disrespected figure in Houston sports history.Ē