PDA

View Full Version : Titans to consider donning Oilers' throwback jersey in '09.

J-Russ
10-15-2008, 08:02 PM
It's a question that many fans have asked over the course of the decade of Titans football in Nashville and on Tuesday night's Titans Radio Jeff Fisher Show, the Head Coach gave an answer.

''There's a chance you will see us in throwback uniforms next season,'' Fisher said.

The franchise could opt to wear their former Oilers uniforms for a game in the near future, but in order to do so they would need to request permission from the NFL at least one year in advance. The Titans used the same procedure when they unveiled this season's 10-year logo that commemorates the first decade of Titans football played in Tennessee's state capital.

Though it hasn't been confirmed if or when they'll choose to unveil the jerseys, the franchise could opt to wear their former Oilers uniforms against the New York Jets at New Meadowlands Stadium. The 2009 schedule won't be released until next April, but Tennessee is guaranteed to play at New Meadowlands Stadium next season.

http://www.titansradio.com/cgi-bin/blurb_view.cgi?blurb=news615800

TxDavid
10-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Bastards.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
10-15-2008, 08:17 PM
If thats the case maybe the Ravens should wear browns throwback uni's

Double Barrel
10-15-2008, 08:23 PM
wow...that would be weird to see. Knowing Bud, it would not surprise me to see them wear the Oilers throwback unis against us.

I was recently talking to my buds about this very subject, and it looks like it'll probably happen.

Will the Chiefs go throwback and be the Kansas City Texans at some point? :um:

BattleRedToro
10-15-2008, 08:26 PM

I think you realize that the Ravens can't do that. They aren't the same team, whereas in the case of the Tennessee Titans they are the same team as the Oilers.

bah007
10-15-2008, 09:42 PM
I think you realize that the Ravens can't do that. They aren't the same team, whereas in the case of the Tennessee Titans they are the same team as the Oilers.

Umm yeah they are.

The Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore in & became the Ravens in 1996.

The "new" Cleveland Browns began play in 1999.

There is a difference though:

To relocate the team, the Ravens had to agree to leave all their "history" in Cleveland. So you are right. They can't do that.

Wolf
10-15-2008, 09:44 PM
you can get a look at the helmets
http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39845

Thorn
10-15-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't like this, not at all.

Wolf
10-15-2008, 09:56 PM
I know it is a year away but the good news is so far they have no one with a 00,1,and esp 34 on the roster

http://www.nfl.com/teams/roster?d-447263-o=2&team=TEN&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=UNIFORM_NBR&d-447263-n=1

mexican_texan
10-15-2008, 09:56 PM
wow...that would be weird to see. Knowing Bud, it would not surprise me to see them wear the Oilers throwback unis against us.

I was recently talking to my buds about this very subject, and it looks like it'll probably happen.

I hoped they would to commemorate the passing of Hank Stram.

GuerillaBlack
10-15-2008, 09:58 PM
you can get a look at the helmets
http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39845

**** the Titans and their fans. That's sick.

WWJD
10-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Well Bud owns the rights to that name and those uniforms.

So as with most owners he's going to do as he wishes.

gwallaia
10-15-2008, 10:26 PM
I would hope that Bud has one ounce of respect left in his old decrepit body not to do this. This would be very disrespectful to so many old Oiler fans.

Speedy
10-15-2008, 10:27 PM
the franchise could opt to wear their former Oilers uniforms against the New York Jets at New Meadowlands Stadium.

So maybe the Jets should wear their Titans unis in that game.

Sure wish they would have left the history here like the Ravens had to do for Cleveland. I hate having to click on Tennessee to look up old Oiler stats.

Blazing Arrow
10-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Finally! It is about time ...

Blazing Arrow
10-15-2008, 10:35 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u42/ProbowlVINCE/1981-98oilers.jpg

:drool:

Hookem Horns
10-15-2008, 10:37 PM
This post made sense. ;)

http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=864821&postcount=22

gwallaia
10-15-2008, 10:39 PM
This post made sense. ;)

Well played.

Honestly, the Titans do have the ugliest uniforms in professional sports. I'm not just saying that because I despise that evil little bastard bud, but those unis and logo are really bad.

TexansLucky13
10-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Bastards.

That was my immediate thought as well, followed by a few words that are not allowed on this board.

Just another notch in my "Hate the @#$%ing Titans" meter.

mexican_texan
10-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Well played.

Honestly, the Titans do have the ugliest uniforms in professional sports. I'm not just saying that because I despise that evil little bastard bud, but those unis and logo are really bad.
The OKC Thunder have pretty bad uniforms. As do the T-Wolves.

Hookem Horns
10-15-2008, 11:02 PM
The OKC Thunder have pretty bad uniforms.

Wow, those are bad. I thought they would still be the Sonics because I assumed there was some rule in basketball where relocation teams couldn't change their names. I thought that because they never change their names.

Thinking of Utah Jazz, LA Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Hornets, am I leaving any out?

BTW, those OKC colors look like a rip off of the Knicks who also have ugly uniforms.

mexican_texan
10-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow, those are bad. I thought they would still be the Sonics because I assumed there was some rule in basketball where relocation teams couldn't change their names. I thought that because they never change their names.

Thinking of Utah Jazz, LA Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Hornets, am I leaving any out?

BTW, those OKC colors look like a rip off of the Knicks who also have ugly uniforms.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/steve_aschburner/10/13/thunder.preview/russell-westbrook.jpg

BattleRedToro
10-15-2008, 11:22 PM

Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Clippers, New Jersey Nets.

dc_txtech
10-15-2008, 11:24 PM
This really chaps my ass. Screw you Bud Adams, I am going to dance a jig on your grave when you die.

TexanSam
10-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Bud will probably just piss everyone off and wear the throwback uniforms when the Titans play the Texans here at Reliant

Wolf
10-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Then we can make Earl an "Honorary Texan" if that happened ..would be funny
:specnatz:

Double Barrel
10-16-2008, 12:04 AM
I would hope that Bud has one ounce of respect left in his old decrepit body not to do this. This would be very disrespectful to so many old Oiler fans.

And maybe the Pope is not Catholic, Howdy Doody doesn't have wooden nuts, and the bear doesn't poop in the woods.

Not a chance, man. Bud is pure evil to his Boss Hog core. He could give a rat's azz about old Oiler fans or history if it could make him a buck.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u42/ProbowlVINCE/1981-98oilers.jpg

:drool:

Man, that helmet brings back memories...but you're just mean. :dontknowa

This really chaps my ass. Screw you Bud Adams, I am going to dance a jig on your grave when you die.

You better get in line before me, because you don't want to be dancing in doodoo.

Bud will probably just piss everyone off and wear the throwback uniforms when the Titans play the Texans here at Reliant

Nah, he'll do it at home, but against the Texans. There would be too much of a chance of violence if he tried that at Reliant. :bat:

mexican_texan
10-16-2008, 12:13 AM
There's no way Godell will allow it.

GP
10-16-2008, 12:14 AM
DIRTY Bastards.

Fixed it for ya'.

I hope they wear it against us, and I hope we smash them all game long.

I think that if you leave a city and you didn't take the original logo with you to the new city, then you shouldn't be allowed to disrespect the previous city's fans like that. Pure and simple: It's a slap to the city of Houston.

We should flood the NFL's offices with non-stop mail on this one.

dc_txtech
10-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Fixed it for ya'.

I hope they wear it against us, and I hope we smash them all game long.

I think that if you leave a city and you didn't take the original logo with you to the new city, then you shouldn't be allowed to disrespect the previous city's fans like that. Pure and simple: It's a slap to the city of Houston.

We should flood the NFL's offices with non-stop mail on this one.

If they did have the gall to wear that against us, I would hope our players would know what that meant to the fan base and play accordingly.

I would be willing to write 50 emails a day if we had a chance of changing the leagues mind.

Kulluminatii
10-16-2008, 01:39 AM
I would love for them to wear the uniform against us next season. And I would love to see the Texans bend over those fakes and show them who's boss.:texflag:

Vinny
10-16-2008, 02:06 AM

I think Nostradamus had a quatrain about this....he predicted the throwbacks in 2012 though.

ESAD2-14
10-16-2008, 06:56 AM

This was my first thought upon reading this thread. Bud probably already has that date marked on his calendar.

SheTexan
10-16-2008, 07:41 AM
This would be very disrespectful to so many old Oiler fans.

It would also be disrespectfull to present day Titan fans, who have tried so hard to form their own identity and separate themselves from ANYTHING to do with Houston! It's a slap in the face to them also. Bud changed the name, let him live with that and leave the history of the OILERS where it belongs, with the fans of HOUSTON!! He won't do it though simply because he is a pompus ******* who lives in the past! Well, those days are GONE and the Tenn Titans will never replicate what we had when they were called the Oilers, cause there will NEVER be another Earl Campbell!! Bud is OLD and SENILE! He would do this for BUD, not the fans of the Titans!!

Texan_Bill
10-16-2008, 07:45 AM
This post made sense. ;)

Best post of that entire thread....

Titans fans are all (jacked) up. On the one hand they want the records of the Earls and such, on the other hand they don't want the bad history of Pud's team's choke jobs and yet on the third, hand some are embracing the old unis... C'mon tinnbred fans - which is it???

gg no re
10-16-2008, 08:10 AM
There's no way God will allow it.
I'm not a religious man, but consider me a convert if a higher power can display some divine intervention.

:wwfsmd:

mexican_texan
10-16-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm not a religious man, but consider me a convert if a higher power can display some divine intervention.

:wwfsmd:
I'll get the holy tomato sauce.

El Tejano
10-16-2008, 08:51 AM
I was the biggest Oiler fan in all of Austin Tx. I was true Luv Ya Blue since 78 all the way to the end. So please hear me out when I say the most certainly are welcomed to wear that uni and wouldn't mind if they did that this year.

Doesn't anyone find it strange that The Oilers had some very talented if not most talented teams and always failed to reach The Super Bowl? Matter of fact they had some of the most historic losses in the playoffs while failing to get to The Super Bowl. Need I remind anyone of the comebacks produced by Buffalo, Denver and then finally Kansas City? Then, once they shed that Oil Derek, they immediately go to The Super Bowl.

If they want to bring that on themselves, they most certainly can. Maybe we may be able to pull a come from behind victory on them because of that uniform and their team can have all the bad luck.

Ole Miss Texan
10-16-2008, 09:17 AM
:cryinghysterically: <-- blast, that's not one?

Double Barrel
10-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I was the biggest Oiler fan in all of Austin Tx. I was true Luv Ya Blue since 78 all the way to the end. So please hear me out when I say the most certainly are welcomed to wear that uni and wouldn't mind if they did that this year.

Doesn't anyone find it strange that The Oilers had some very talented if not most talented teams and always failed to reach The Super Bowl? Matter of fact they had some of the most historic losses in the playoffs while failing to get to The Super Bowl. Need I remind anyone of the comebacks produced by Buffalo, Denver and then finally Kansas City? Then, once they shed that Oil Derek, they immediately go to The Super Bowl.

If they want to bring that on themselves, they most certainly can. Maybe we may be able to pull a come from behind victory on them because of that uniform and their team can have all the bad luck.

I like your thinking. Reverse voodoo psychology to keep their history of epic chokes alive. Well played, man.... :hmmm:

ChildressTitanMan
10-16-2008, 10:02 AM
I think it's long over due.

Bud should never have been allowed to change the name from the Oilers.The Bengals,Steelers,Oilers & Texans should be in the same division.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/Childress79/GoTitans/1967-70oilers.jpg

The Central had the best rivalries in football,they should have been preserved & enhanced by keeping the Oilers name alive IMO.

Forget Bud. The players were the Oilers & as well as the bad I have some great memories.

Double Barrel
10-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I could see them playing their retro jerseys against the Steelers, too, because of the old AFC Central rivalries. That would be strange to see after all these years.

texanskan
10-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Man battle of Kirby Dr. Houston Oilers vs Houston Texans

Overalls
10-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I can't blaim the Titans wanting to hold on to the Oilers history. I mean could you imagine rooting for a team named after the Inbred Children Of Uranus.

DiehardChris
10-16-2008, 02:14 PM
I weighed in on this here (http://www.houstondiehards.com/?p=2007).

Warning - may be offensive to hillbillies.

Texan_Bill
10-16-2008, 02:20 PM

the barefoot, meth-mouthed, Sudafed-cooking, Civil War-reenacting, sister-humping, dentist-ignoring, foothill-dwelling, jug band-listening, Falwell-loving, log cabin-building, white hood-wearing, cross-burning, wood-whittling, banjo-plucking, “I was just helping that sheep over the fence” hillbillies

Classic!!!

HOU-TEX
10-16-2008, 02:29 PM

:spit: That's friggin awesome!

Here are a couple other gems:

land of meth and questionable family lineage

The blathering, bloody-gummed hillbillies

I suggest denim overall jerseys, or some kind of grey-colored wool design

+Rep

Blazing Arrow
10-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Titans vs. Jets both in throw backs.

So the game would be Titans vs. Oilers. :smiliedance:

Texan_Bill
10-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Titans vs. Jets both in throw backs.

So the game would be Titans vs. Oilers. :smiliedance:

True, but at least New York was smart enough to figure out what Titans are, hence the name change after only 3 seasons..

Blazing Arrow
10-16-2008, 05:23 PM
True, but at least New York was smart enough to figure out what Titans are, hence the name change after only 3 seasons..

The only undefeated team in the NFL? I am confused ...

Sal Rosenberg
10-16-2008, 05:23 PM
This is horrible

Blazing Arrow
10-16-2008, 05:27 PM
It is going to be nice. Maybe they can sport their Super Bowl rings as well?

Texan_Bill
10-16-2008, 05:37 PM
The only undefeated team in the NFL? I am confused ...

We've been knowing that....

A team's record has nothing to do with the team's name. My point was that Sonny Werblin and Leon Hess were smart enough to change the name when the bought it - from ICOU to the Jets.

Blazing Arrow
10-16-2008, 05:52 PM
We've been knowing that....

Oh maybe it was we are top of the power ranking? And you will be knowing that for at least a few more weeks. LJ is sitting for going Pacman at a club.

A team's record has nothing to do with the team's name. My point was that Sonny Werblin and Leon Hess were smart enough to change the name when the bought it - from ICOU to the Jets.

Odd I thought we were talking about the Titans.

Texan_Bill
10-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Oh maybe it was we are top of the power ranking? And you will be knowing that for at least a few more weeks. LJ is sitting for going Pacman at a club.

Odd I thought we were talking about the Titans.

Set the cocktail down my man.....

3rd and Inches
10-16-2008, 06:02 PM

I'm writing this with tears still streaming down my face. That was a wonderfully articulate and well versed blog Chris. I give you kudos amongst kudos.

brakos82
10-16-2008, 06:04 PM
It is going to be nice. Maybe they can sport their Super Bowl rings as well?
I doubt Joe Namath is gonna be there.

Texecutioner
10-16-2008, 06:08 PM
I don't think that the league should let Bud do something like that. That would be disgraceful of Bud to do something like that.

The way I see it, I will never look at the Titans as the Oilers. I never have, and I laugh every time any fan out here tries telling me that they still have support for them because of the Oilers, because the Oilers died when Bud left and went to Tennessee and changed his team to the Titans. The Oilers are no more, and I really don't see how or why the league would let an owner with a long history of being an ass do something as low as this just to take a shot at the fans.

Blazing Arrow
10-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Set the cocktail down my man.....

Work happy hour does not start for another 30 minutes my friend.

Blazing Arrow
10-16-2008, 06:10 PM
I doubt Joe Namath is gonna be there.

I doubt that too ... what an odd comment. :whip:

Blazing Arrow
10-16-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't think that the league should let Bud do something like that. That would be disgraceful of Bud to do something like that.

The way I see it, I will never look at the Titans as the Oilers. I never have, and I laugh every time any fan out here tries telling me that they still have support for them because of the Oilers, because the Oilers died when Bud left and went to Tennessee and changed his team to the Titans. The Oilers are no more, and I really don't see how or why the league would let an owner with a long history of being an ass do something as low as this just to take a shot at the fans.

Actually as the owner of the Oilers/Titans franchise Bud has every right to have the team wear the throwbacks. If he was not forced out of Houston they would probably still be the Houston Oilers.

Probably sold me on a new jersey ....

Texecutioner
10-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Actually as the owner of the Oilers/Titans franchise Bud has every right to have the team wear the throwbacks. If he was not forced out of Houston they would probably still be the Houston Oilers.

Probably sold me on a new jersey ....

I actually considered you to be more of Titan fan with more class than that. Sorry that I was wrong.

Sure Bud can do whatever he wants, but the fact of the matter is that he would only be doing that against the Texans on purpose to take a shot at Houston fans. It wouldn't be for any other reason than that. The NFL should hold it's owners to higher standards than to let them go out of their way to irritate another fan base to that degree.

If Bud does indeed do this and have his team wear Oilers jerseys in our stadium, then if you or any other Titans fans decide to come into Reliant stadium wearing those same old Oiler Jerseys you will being doing it at your own risk. I'd advise against it at all costs, because fans out here will not be taking that lightly at all.

Tejas Bruja
10-16-2008, 06:34 PM

This is horrible

What's even more horrible is that Chris somehow managed to accurately describe every single member of my family AND list the EXACT reasons as to why I no longer associate with them! :embarrass

3rd and Inches
10-16-2008, 06:43 PM
If Bud does indeed do this and have his team wear Oilers jerseys in our stadium, then if you or any other Titans fans decide to come into Reliant stadium wearing those same old Oiler Jerseys you will being doing it at your own risk. I'd advise against it at all costs, because fans out here will not be taking that lightly at all.

Very very true. But, that's what parking lots are for.. and large bludgeoning devices. :D

LonerATO
10-17-2008, 12:41 AM

if I could give you anymore rep I would, that is one of the best post I have ever read about those hillbillies

LonerATO
10-17-2008, 12:47 AM

The city of Cleveland was super cool in forcing Modell in court to give up all the records and name. Unfortunately the city of Houston wasn't smart enough to do the same.

DiehardChris
10-17-2008, 01:05 AM
if I could give you anymore rep I would, that is one f the ebst post I have ever read about those hillbillies

Aw, thanks man! My blood pressure rises when it comes to the Oiler legacy and the Titans. I become kind of a name-calling jerk, which I'm not in any other case. /shrug

toronto
10-17-2008, 01:05 AM
**** the Titans and their fans. That's sick.

Guess you're lumping me in... :(

Blazing Arrow
10-17-2008, 01:22 AM
I actually considered you to be more of Titan fan with more class than that. Sorry that I was wrong.

Sure Bud can do whatever he wants, but the fact of the matter is that he would only be doing that against the Texans on purpose to take a shot at Houston fans. It wouldn't be for any other reason than that. The NFL should hold it's owners to higher standards than to let them go out of their way to irritate another fan base to that degree.

Yeah that was low brow but you guys have been lack luster lately ... hardly any fight in you. I needed to press the button so you get all up in arms and fired up about the next game.

I want the preseason Texans fans back again :foottap:

DiehardChris
10-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Yeah that was low brow but you guys have been lack luster lately ... hardly any fight in you. I needed to press the button so you get all up in arms and fired up about the next game.

I want the preseason Texans fans back again :foottap:

You should read my blog post then LOL

I'm ALWAYS "that guy" when it comes to the Titans. :D

gwallaia
10-17-2008, 07:48 AM
You know what would be fun? Have Bud wear an Oilers jersey to Reliant and mingle with fans out in the parking lots before the game.

Texan_Bill
10-17-2008, 08:50 AM
You know what would be fun? Have Bud wear an Oilers jersey to Reliant and mingle with fans out in the parking lots before the game.

Joe would string him as a pinata....

Bipolar The Titan
10-17-2008, 08:53 AM
I look at my team as a rusty old Nova that has been restored to show room new. I love the Titans just as much as any Houston fan loved them as the Oilers... maybe more than even some Houston fans love the new team in Houston... I mean, goodness... It's a damn uniform! It's nothing to get all up in arms about. Arguing about whether it's right or wrong is like trying to argue away the fact that the American Civil War happened... it's stupid. We are all fans. We all love the game. **** happens. It was all out of our control. (for the most part) I mean, for the glory of the game isn't it cool to see the Titans and Texans square off? It's like the Ravens and Colts... or maybe the Rams and Cardinals... or even the Cowboys and Chiefs... it's been 10 years! Can the healing begin already?

HOU-TEX
10-17-2008, 09:33 AM
I look at my team as a rusty old Nova that has been restored to show room new. I love the Titans just as much as any Houston fan loved them as the Oilers... maybe more than even some Houston fans love the new team in Houston... I mean, goodness... It's a damn uniform! It's nothing to get all up in arms about. Arguing about whether it's right or wrong is like trying to argue away the fact that the American Civil War happened... it's stupid. We are all fans. We all love the game. **** happens. It was all out of our control. (for the most part) I mean, for the glory of the game isn't it cool to see the Titans and Texans square off? It's like the Ravens and Colts... or maybe the Rams and Cardinals... or even the Cowboys and Chiefs... it's been 10 years! Can the healing begin already?

When Bud's 6' deep with maggots pouring out his decomposed eyes......sure. :)

gwallaia
10-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Bud is 85.

When his time comes and the Devil calls him home, I hope it happens during football season so we can properly celebrate the event with a big Tailgating Extravaganza.

Texan_Bill
10-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Bud is 85.

When his time comes and the Devil calls him home, I hope it happens during football season so we can properly celebrate the event with a big Tailgating Extravaganza.

That would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

WWJD
10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
The only time the Texans should be worried about the Titans and their unis is twice a year. Otherwise they're there and we're here. Most are much happier with Mr. McNair and a new team. In the long run HOUSTON is better off.

If he wants to send the team out there in Columbia blue minis let him. It doesn't matter anymore!

Texecutioner
10-17-2008, 12:44 PM

I'm not one of these guys in here that typically cares about the old Bud Adams garbage. He's gone and in another city. We have a new team now and I've moved on.

There is one thing that you'll never understand though. You weren't an Oiler fan, and you didn't root for them for years and years, nor do you cherish those same memories and still have some of the old memorabilia that you're proud to have.

When the Oilers went to Tennessee, they died. They became the TItans, a new team. Therefore, there shouldn't be any retro jerseys for the TItans, because they aren't the Oilers. The Oilers were HOUSTON OILERS. Your team is the Titans, and you guys wearing old Oiler jerseys to me would be no different than the Tampa Bay Bucs putting on Oiler jerseys and coming into Reliant stadium. It would be disrespectful and wrong, because many fans out here still cherish those sports memories and don't associate the Titans with the Oilers. If Bud would have decided to keep the Oiler name and uniform and just take it to another city, then that would be different. He started a new era and has done very well with the Titans. There is no need for him to try and come back here poking with us Houston fans and trying to rehash the past and irritate fans by doing that. Everyone knows Bud Adams and his style and if you're going to act like Bud wouldn't be doing that intentionally to get under the skin of Houston fans, then your just denying what you is the truth. Again, I don't think the Titans should even be allowed to wear those Oiler jerseys, but since they can and if they will then they need to do it somewhere else against another team. Come to Reliant stadium wearing the Oiler jerseys and throwing more mud at the Houston fans will make it a very ugly game, and many fans including myself are not going to take that lightly at all.

Wolf
10-17-2008, 02:45 PM
If they want to use the Oilers, then they ought to use the 97 oilers then
http://www.texnews.com/texsports97/oilers061397.html

When the Oilers take the field Aug. 2 for their first game in Tennessee, an exhibition game with the New Orleans Saints, players will wear their powder blue uniforms with only a patch on the left shoulder and on the back of each helmet commemorating the inaugural season here.

Adams showed off the new logo, which features the traditional blue oil derrick on a background of a slanted, red Tennessee flag with the words "Tennessee Oilers" along the bottom and the number "97" beside the derrick. At the top edge is a blue circle with three white stars from the state flag.

"The folks at NFL Properties are now working on our uniforms," Adams said. "We'll use this uniform this year, but being our inaugural year, we wanted to have something with Tennessee on the Oiler jerseys and helmets."

Wolf
10-17-2008, 02:47 PM
http://www.titansonline.com/news/titans_news_detail.php?PRKey=4779

http://www.titansonline.com/wpimages/OILERS/oilerslogo97web.jpg

Wolf
10-17-2008, 03:02 PM
If Tennessee wants to really go retro well
http://api.ning.com/files/niYMWGjOl4c04LG6cmrP88ZpHOFSn*ZZvDtefaZcKa0CU2zWJp-Vse8Qb6--FT-je2diI*drhBuEYwYfatEPmA4AkWZ1PE2d/raccoon_attack_3.jpg

or

http://www.laughingsheep.co.nz/images/hat_possum.jpg

Texecutioner
10-17-2008, 03:06 PM
If Tennessee wants to really go retro well
http://api.ning.com/files/niYMWGjOl4c04LG6cmrP88ZpHOFSn*ZZvDtefaZcKa0CU2zWJp-Vse8Qb6--FT-je2diI*drhBuEYwYfatEPmA4AkWZ1PE2d/raccoon_attack_3.jpg

or

http://www.laughingsheep.co.nz/images/hat_possum.jpg

:spit::spit::spit::spit:

Ah man, I needed that!

Wolf
10-17-2008, 04:14 PM
finally found the racoon hat I had been searching for

possum could be the away jersey and raccoon for home or vise versa
http://www.brownsfashion.com/public/pictures/products/standard/87054_1.jpg

ChrisG
10-17-2008, 04:46 PM
This post made sense. ;)

i love the kids sig who replied "conVINCEd yet?" -- nope!:gun:

Hookem Horns
10-17-2008, 05:33 PM
This one is so much better. I think I also have a new avatar for the Titans board.

http://www.houstondiehards.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/new-crosslogo.gif

Nah, I changed my mind on the avatar thing. The cross thing crosses the line a bit.

WWJD
10-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Nah, I changed my mind on the avatar thing. The cross thing crosses the line a bit.

Good decision. That is offensive on so many levels.

Bipolar The Titan
10-17-2008, 11:06 PM
I understand your point of view on an emotional level and I appreciate the way you thoughtfully put all that but there are parts of it I really am not in agreement with. First, Bud Adams I believe is a Texas resident. Let's get that out of the way right out of the gate. I believe I do understand feelings of loss, betrayal, and resentment. I'm glad you've healed. I would be fond of memorabilia too. I've collected some of my own. I have ten years of two-tone blue are coursing through my blood and it feels great.

I've spent one-third of my life consumed with this football team. I'd be a crazy postal freak if the Titans just up and left for Los Angeles. I can't fully empathize so I guess you are right about that but that team didn't die. They moved on and renamed, yes, they even renamed the color, but they still wear it and sometimes professional sports teams just move. There are winners and losers in that equation but at the end of the day it's all about money, money, money.

I agree that it would be in poor taste to wear the oil derricks back to Houston for a Prodigal Son's homecoming. Hell, Fisher is still the coach! You've got to admit though, it makes for great television. I bet there would be a hellu'va ratings boost. I can envision it on Sunday Night Football, coast to coast. It would be quite a spectacle. But in poor taste. Never would Bud Adams agree to doing something in poor taste to turn a buck. Not Bud. :devilpig:
...and a part of him would probably do that to attempt to get under the skin of some Houston fans but that generates interest in what he's selling so it's inherently selfish on more than one level.:devilpig:
then again, I bet a lot of people would do the exact same thing. Our fan base is stoked about the whole thing. The Titan fans I've heard from can't wait to see them rock the derrick. I guess I have some kind of romanticized idea about the whole rivalry looking 20 years down the road.

You know though, that history is all with that team. A franchise was not born. The Titans franchise didn't take an nfl holy water bath in the arms of Art Modell either. I get that the town was so furious with B.A. they didn't even care about the name, colors, or franchise records... none of that? right? I'm kinda talking out of my ass here at this point making an assumption that the City of Houston declined to file an injunction or what have you in court over the whole damn thing because they were p.o'ed to the point of not really giving a damn?

From an entrainment standpoint, Titans in oil derricks versus the Texans in Houston is a good show. I bet the ticket market for that particular game would belong to the seller. People would pack that place out just for the gall of wearing those unis. I like an ugly game. I mean, think of it this way. What if the Texans pound the Titans like Bubba pounds Chowder at Butt Rape Penitentiary? On national television? In the oil derrick unis. How freakin' sweet would that be for you?

I'm not one of these guys in here that typically cares about the old Bud Adams garbage. He's gone and in another city. We have a new team now and I've moved on.

There is one thing that you'll never understand though. You weren't an Oiler fan, and you didn't root for them for years and years, nor do you cherish those same memories and still have some of the old memorabilia that you're proud to have.

When the Oilers went to Tennessee, they died. They became the TItans, a new team. Therefore, there shouldn't be any retro jerseys for the TItans, because they aren't the Oilers. The Oilers were HOUSTON OILERS. Your team is the Titans, and you guys wearing old Oiler jerseys to me would be no different than the Tampa Bay Bucs putting on Oiler jerseys and coming into Reliant stadium. It would be disrespectful and wrong, because many fans out here still cherish those sports memories and don't associate the Titans with the Oilers. If Bud would have decided to keep the Oiler name and uniform and just take it to another city, then that would be different. He started a new era and has done very well with the Titans. There is no need for him to try and come back here poking with us Houston fans and trying to rehash the past and irritate fans by doing that. Everyone knows Bud Adams and his style and if you're going to act like Bud wouldn't be doing that intentionally to get under the skin of Houston fans, then your just denying what you is the truth. Again, I don't think the Titans should even be allowed to wear those Oiler jerseys, but since they can and if they will then they need to do it somewhere else against another team. Come to Reliant stadium wearing the Oiler jerseys and throwing more mud at the Houston fans will make it a very ugly game, and many fans including myself are not going to take that lightly at all.

Bipolar The Titan
10-17-2008, 11:09 PM
If they want to use the Oilers, then they ought to use the 97 oilers then
http://www.texnews.com/texsports97/oilers061397.html

hey, thanks for posting this. i found it informative.

Texecutioner
10-18-2008, 12:05 AM
I understand your point of view on an emotional level and I appreciate the way you thoughtfully put all that but there are parts of it I really am not in agreement with. First, Bud Adams I believe is a Texas resident. Let's get that out of the way right out of the gate. I believe I do understand feelings of loss, betrayal, and resentment. I'm glad you've healed. I would be fond of memorabilia too. I've collected some of my own. I have ten years of two-tone blue are coursing through my blood and it feels great.

I've spent one-third of my life consumed with this football team. I'd be a crazy postal freak if the Titans just up and left for Los Angeles. I can't fully empathize so I guess you are right about that but that team didn't die. They moved on and renamed, yes, they even renamed the color, but they still wear it and sometimes professional sports teams just move. There are winners and losers in that equation but at the end of the day it's all about money, money, money.

I agree that it would be in poor taste to wear the oil derricks back to Houston for a Prodigal Son's homecoming. Hell, Fisher is still the coach! You've got to admit though, it makes for great television. I bet there would be a hellu'va ratings boost. I can envision it on Sunday Night Football, coast to coast. It would be quite a spectacle. But in poor taste. Never would Bud Adams agree to doing something in poor taste to turn a buck. Not Bud. :devilpig:
...and a part of him would probably do that to attempt to get under the skin of some Houston fans but that generates interest in what he's selling so it's inherently selfish on more than one level.:devilpig:
then again, I bet a lot of people would do the exact same thing. Our fan base is stoked about the whole thing. The Titan fans I've heard from can't wait to see them rock the derrick. I guess I have some kind of romanticized idea about the whole rivalry looking 20 years down the road.

You know though, that history is all with that team. A franchise was not born. The Titans franchise didn't take an nfl holy water bath in the arms of Art Modell either. I get that the town was so furious with B.A. they didn't even care about the name, colors, or franchise records... none of that? right? I'm kinda talking out of my ass here at this point making an assumption that the City of Houston declined to file an injunction or what have you in court over the whole damn thing because they were p.o'ed to the point of not really giving a damn?

From an entrainment standpoint, Titans in oil derricks versus the Texans in Houston is a good show. I bet the ticket market for that particular game would belong to the seller. People would pack that place out just for the gall of wearing those unis. I like an ugly game. I mean, think of it this way. What if the Texans pound the Titans like Bubba pounds Chowder at Butt Rape Penitentiary? On national television? In the oil derrick unis. How freakin' sweet would that be for you?

You've made some valid points as far as ratings and excitement, but I really don't think the rest of the NFL will care as much. Maybe if both teams were top teams, but most NFL fans outside of Houston that I know don't go out of their way to watch the Texans on any week unless they are Texans fans.

It might make for some interesting anticipation, but it isn't worth the drama for people that still hold those Oilers memories sacred. You guys are not the Oilers. Even if you put the jerseys on, the Titans will never be the Oilers. You guys are the Titans and you guys should develop some pride in being what the Titans are to Tennessee, not what they used to be or be called to Houston. I can't control what the city did or did not do back then. I just know that my fondest memories of ever being a football fan were sitting in the end zone every week in the Dome wearing my Columbia blue Oilers shirts and sporting my Oilers starter jacket around town. This is the kind of stuff that guys like you just wouldn't understand, because you weren't a part of it. You didn't have to feel the deep pain that many of us felt when Buffalo took our hearts out in that playoff game. I personally knew the Gilbride family and the Moons very well back then. My family knew Bubba Mcdowell very well back then as well. The Oilers were more than just a team to us. I still have my Oilers drinking glass that they used to give away at the gas stations around town.

It would be like someone socking me in the stomach if I had to watch any game with the Titans wearing Oilers jerseys. And coming to Reliant like that, ah man I couldn't even imagine the emotions that could be drawn from that. I'm afraid of what I might do if I saw some obnoxious Titans fan acting a fool in Reliant with a retro Oilers jersey on while the Titans are wearing Oilers jerseys. You think I'm joking I'm sure, but I'm a very passionate fan and those were some of my most passionate years of a fan in my entire life. I'll never forget walking out of the dome chanting with other fans "Good bye Jerry!!!" Speaking of some of those Glanville years.

I could care less about Bud, and as I've said before he is out of here. However, he does make his little comments quite a bit to take shots at us and he did draft VY just to rub it in our noses even though it back fired on him recently. If he wants to take it to the extra level of putting those old jerseys on his players to play us in our own stadium, then he had better hope that he can get back on his private jet in one piece, because I just don't know.

The Titans have a few of my Longhorns on their team, so I root for my boys on the team. I don't totally hate the Titans, because we have the Texans now, and I know that eventually Mcnair will hire the right people and we'll be a top franchise for a long time when that happens. But if Bud decides to try and open old wounds like that and spit in our faces as loyal fans, then he had better watch the game from Tennessee and warn his fans to stay home for that particular game. I can't imagine seeing a bunch of Tennessee fans coming into our stadium wearing our old stuff. Just to hard to swallow for a passionate fan like myself who remembers the 90's the way I do.

TEXANRED
10-18-2008, 12:42 AM
I say if Bud does it we gather in front of his house and have ourselves a bonfire.

Its not like we cant find out where he lives.

LonerATO
10-18-2008, 01:22 AM
You've made some valid points as far as ratings and excitement, but I really don't think the rest of the NFL will care as much. Maybe if both teams were top teams, but most NFL fans outside of Houston that I know don't go out of their way to watch the Texans on any week unless they are Texans fans.

It might make for some interesting anticipation, but it isn't worth the drama for people that still hold those Oilers memories sacred. You guys are not the Oilers. Even if you put the jerseys on, the Titans will never be the Oilers. You guys are the Titans and you guys should develop some pride in being what the Titans are to Tennessee, not what they used to be or be called to Houston. I can't control what the city did or did not do back then. I just know that my fondest memories of ever being a football fan were sitting in the end zone every week in the Dome wearing my Columbia blue Oilers shirts and sporting my Oilers starter jacket around town. This is the kind of stuff that guys like you just wouldn't understand, because you weren't a part of it. You didn't have to feel the deep pain that many of us felt when Buffalo took our hearts out in that playoff game. I personally knew the Gilbride family and the Moons very well back then. My family knew Bubba Mcdowell very well back then as well. The Oilers were more than just a team to us. I still have my Oilers drinking glass that they used to give away at the gas stations around town.

It would be like someone socking me in the stomach if I had to watch any game with the Titans wearing Oilers jerseys. And coming to Reliant like that, ah man I couldn't even imagine the emotions that could be drawn from that. I'm afraid of what I might do if I saw some obnoxious Titans fan acting a fool in Reliant with a retro Oilers jersey on while the Titans are wearing Oilers jerseys. You think I'm joking I'm sure, but I'm a very passionate fan and those were some of my most passionate years of a fan in my entire life. I'll never forget walking out of the dome chanting with other fans "Good bye Jerry!!!" Speaking of some of those Glanville years.

I could care less about Bud, and as I've said before he is out of here. However, he does make his little comments quite a bit to take shots at us and he did draft VY just to rub it in our noses even though it back fired on him recently. If he wants to take it to the extra level of putting those old jerseys on his players to play us in our own stadium, then he had better hope that he can get back on his private jet in one piece, because I just don't know.

The Titans have a few of my Longhorns on their team, so I root for my boys on the team. I don't totally hate the Titans, because we have the Texans now, and I know that eventually Mcnair will hire the right people and we'll be a top franchise for a long time when that happens. But if Bud decides to try and open old wounds like that and spit in our faces as loyal fans, then he had better watch the game from Tennessee and warn his fans to stay home for that particular game. I can't imagine seeing a bunch of Tennessee fans coming into our stadium wearing our old stuff. Just to hard to swallow for a passionate fan like myself who remembers the 90's the way I do.

I agree with almost everything you have said and yes seeing Titans using the Oilers uniform would piss me off. I think that is one game I would not watch nor care to watch no matter the results.

hot pickle
10-18-2008, 06:53 AM
jesus bud if u wanna wear throwbacks why didnt u just keep the oilers name.

what a clown... i hope he burns in u know were... lol

hot pickle
10-18-2008, 06:57 AM
I agree with almost everything you have said and yes seeing Titans using the Oilers uniform would piss me off. I think that is one game I would not watch nor care to watch no matter the results.

ummm here in canada sir.. and this year is the first time ive missed a texans game cause i live at my gf's and i do go out of my way to watch them... i will be taking the monday off work when they play the jags on MNF.... dont wanna be a dick... but texans fans arent just in houston.... we are all over the place and we love our texans

:texflag::texflag:

Speedy
10-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Honestly, I couldn't care less what that old fart does with his football team. He can't piss me off any more. Now days, I just laugh at the old buzzard that he has such a grudge against Houston, the town that made him. Whatever you sour, bitter old man.

Enjoy your 5-0 start Tennessee fans, 'cause we here in Houston know what's about to happen.

Double Barrel
10-18-2008, 12:28 PM
I've arrived at the same place as Speedy. The Houston Oilers are dead to me. Nothing more than memories of days gone by. My team is the Houston Texans, so I'm not going to waste any of my energy on Pud Adams, his football team, and whatever money-making scheme he's got up his sleeve.

I will always have a place in my heart for Houston football players. But the franchise they played for is history and nothing more to me now. It's like an ex-wife. Remember the good times, but invest no emotions in re-living the past. It was a bitter divorce and she's a crack whore now (true story on all levels).

GO TEXANS!! :texflag:

Texan_Bill
10-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Healing starts (as HOU-TEX so eloquently put it) when Pud Adams has maggots coming out of his eyeballs.... Until then, may every bad Karma debt be bestowed on him..

Second Honeymoon
10-20-2008, 09:07 AM
After Bud dies, I think a class move by his inheritors/family, would be to give us our Oiler tradition, record books, and uniforms back. Let Tennesse start their own tradition, for crying out loud they have already done more in Tennessee than they ever did in Houston.

I would cry tears of joy if I ever saw the Texans play in the old Oilers uniform. It's already obvious that the Oilers werent what was cursed. It's our city.

WWJD
10-20-2008, 09:52 AM
After Bud dies, I think a class move by his inheritors/family, would be to give us our Oiler tradition, record books, and uniforms back. Let Tennesse start their own tradition, for crying out loud they have already done more in Tennessee than they ever did in Houston.

I would cry tears of joy if I ever saw the Texans play in the old Oilers uniform. It's already obvious that the Oilers werent what was cursed. It's our city.

Uh...I don't know bout that. I think Texans fans do not want anything Oilers ever worn again.

Houston has the Texans. There is NO going back. The Oilers are dead.

9nines
10-20-2008, 09:59 AM
A couple of things:

‘1) Next year is the 50th anniversary of the American Football League. I think all original AFL teams will wear original jerseys a game or two.

‘2) Why do past Oilers fan have to be Texans fans and not like the Titans? I followed the Oilers all my life and to me the team never moved because it is located in place where it can never leave – my heart. So even if the team were to move again, I will still follow it and be a fan of it.

DBCooper
10-20-2008, 01:38 PM
‘2) Why do past Oilers fan have to be Texans fans and not like the Titans? I followed the Oilers all my life and to me the team never moved because it is located in place where it can never leave – my heart. So even if the team were to move again, I will still follow it and be a fan of it.

That's because you do not get it.

Hervoyel
10-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Uh...I don't know bout that. I think Texans fans do not want anything Oilers ever worn again.

I don't agree with this. I collect Oilers stuff right alongside my Texans stuff. Of course I also keep an eye out for Gamblers stuff as well. I wouldn't wear an Oiler jersey to a Texans game but I'd own one and I'd wear it.

Hervoyel
10-20-2008, 01:49 PM

While nothing like this in this world is permanent I do not think this will be possible. I expect that the deal was made with the understanding that this was not to be skirted around once Bud was in the cold hard ground. Once he's dead it will become a case of going against the wishes of the deceased team founder and nobody wants that.

I would like to see it too but the word "forever" was used repeatedly when this BS "retiring" of the name Oilers was announced.

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 02:00 PM

I agree in the fact that I would love to see the Texans in retro jerseys as the Oilers. This is still a Houston football team and the Oilers were a Houston football team.

However, stop with the whole "We're cursed and the city is cursed". I hate when I hear any fans say that, and it sounds weak. This city is not cursed. The Rockets won two championships. The Oilers should have won a SB, but they screwed up and that was what happened. They were a really good team in the AFC for many years though. They just didn't get it done. The Texans are not cursed. They just have made bad decisions with a lot of players, management, and coaching. Eventually the cycle of the NFL will favor the Texans and we'll be a top team for a while at some point. How good will they be or how much will they achieve is yet to be known, but we'll get there.

Vinny
10-20-2008, 02:02 PM

I'm a huge Oiler fan and have been since the early 70's and would love to see some sort of tribute to MY team here in Houston...but not too thrilled about it in Nashvegas. The Oilers may very well be dead but luv ya blue lives on forever...at least till us fans die out.

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm a huge Oiler fan and have been since the early 70's and would love to see some sort of tribute to MY team here in Houston...but not too thrilled about it in Nashvegas. The Oilers may very well be dead but luv ya blue lives on forever...at least till us fans die out.

Although this wouldn't happen Vinny, but how would you feel if the Texans were able to wear old Oilers jerseys as their retros?? I would feel proud personally, because I don't associate the Oilers with the Titans and never have.

Texan_Bill
10-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Some of us were there...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/248/458477385_514e742296.jpg?v=0

Some of us even remember that the Oilers had cheerleaders (albeit with "big hair"), until Pud's cheap a$$ got rid of them....

http://www.charlieanderson.com/images/Various/dolls.jpg

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Some of us were there...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/248/458477385_514e742296.jpg?v=0

Some of us even remember that the Oilers had cheerleaders (albeit with "big hair"), until Pud's cheap a$$ got rid of them....

http://www.charlieanderson.com/images/Various/dolls.jpg

Awsome!!! Great pics! Did you find those on Google images? I would like to find some more.

Texan_Bill
10-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Awsome!!! Great pics! Did you find those on Google images? I would like to find some more.

Yup.. But it's not as easy of a search as you might think...

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Yup.. But it's not as easy of a search as you might think...

Yeah, I figured that. That is exactly why I asked hoping you found them somewhere else.

By the way, when I was a kid my family and I always sat in the end zone at the dome. I think it was called THE BULLPEN back then, but I'm not totally sure. the Bull Pen might have been on the other side.

However, the end zone side that we used to sit at was the most fun I ever used to have at football games. There were so many character types of fans that were always in that section. If some of you sat back there ever do any of you remember this one group of guys that would dress up in different costumes every single week? They didn't really wear Oiler's gear, they would wear different stuff that was just strange but it was really cool back then because it was so different. This group of guys (About 4) were on the news quite a bit and would be pointed out. I was curious if anyone in here used to sit back there ever and remembered any of this?

Vinny
10-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Although this wouldn't happen Vinny, but how would you feel if the Texans were able to wear old Oilers jerseys as their retros?? I would feel proud personally, because I don't associate the Oilers with the Titans and never have.

I would love to see that if we had other circumstances for sure.

Hookem Horns
10-20-2008, 02:30 PM

So if your wife ever leaves you for another man will you feel like she never really left because she is located in your heart? Would you actually say "that's my girl!" while watching some toothless hillbilly slobbering all over her?

Texan_Bill
10-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I figured that. That is exactly why I asked hoping you found them somewhere else.

By the way, when I was a kid my family and I always sat in the end zone at the dome. I think it was called THE BULLPEN back then, but I'm not totally sure. the Bull Pen might have been on the other side.

However, the end zone side that we used to sit at was the most fun I ever used to have at football games. There were so many character types of fans that were always in that section. If some of you sat back there ever do any of you remember this one group of guys that would dress up in different costumes every single week? They didn't really wear Oiler's gear, they would wear different stuff that was just strange but it was really cool back then because it was so different. This group of guys (About 4) were on the news quite a bit and would be pointed out. I was curious if anyone in here used to sit back there ever and remembered any of this?

Check out the Astrodome's myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/houstonastrodome

If you are talkign about the temporary bleachers by the outfield wall, I've been down there a few times but our tickets were in section 430(ish)

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 03:02 PM

If you are talkign about the temporary bleachers by the outfield wall, I've been down there a few times but our tickets were in section 430(ish)

I can't believe the dome has a myspace page. Thanks for posting that. Those old pics are great, and makes me really miss the dome. I wish we could have at least one game there a year for old times sake.

As far as that section goes, all I could tell you was that it was one of the end zone sections. We always had tickets on one side of the end zone, and if anyone had been in that same section in the front, I bet that they would remember some of these character that I am referring to. Those were some great memories, although some really painful ones.

Overalls
10-20-2008, 03:35 PM

I have collected Oiler stuff since I new what football was. I have stuff going back to their AFL days. I saw Earl run in the Dome and still carry a scar from the Buffalo game but there is no way the Texans should ever wear the old Oilers jersey. The only connection between the two teams are the citys in which they play/played. The Oilers are dead. Leave them in your heart.

Blazing Arrow
10-20-2008, 03:59 PM
The Oilers are not dead they just evolved to a higher place. No Oilers team started out 6-0 in a season and no Oiler team went to the Super Bowl. The team is the team. Should the SF Giants drop the NY history?

gwallaia
10-20-2008, 04:07 PM
The Oilers are dead.

Hervoyel
10-20-2008, 04:13 PM
The Oilers are not dead they just evolved to a higher place. No Oilers team started out 6-0 in a season and no Oiler team went to the Super Bowl. The team is the team. Should the SF Giants drop the NY history?

Did someone step on a frog?

DBCooper
10-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Did someone step on a frog?

I think that was a Flaming Sparrow.

Speedy
10-20-2008, 04:42 PM

Unless you're 90, do you think anybody in NY gives a crap about the baseball Giants? Do you think they wish the Mets could wear the old Giants unis? I'm guessing the answer to both of those questions is NO. Again, unless you're 90. The Mets are not the Giants and the Texans are not the Titans.

Nobody in Philly cares about the A's, nobody in Cleveland gives a flip about the Rams and nobody in Chicago couldn't care less about the Cardinals. And when more time passes and when this football team known as the Texans gets some winning seasons under their belts, nobody in Houston will give a flip about the Titans/Oilers.

Scum Adams thinks he's taken the history away from us, and some folks here seem to be fooled by this, but you can't take history away. The history is here and always will be as long as there's people around with the memories. Ask the greatest Oiler of them all where he thinks the history is. He'll tell you it's not in Possum Holler. Scum Adams couldn't take Earl Campbell to Tennessee nor does he want to go. That ought to tell you all you need to know about it right there.

Hookem Horns
10-20-2008, 05:05 PM
I wonder if anyone in San Diego cares about the Rockets.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/sdrock/RocketsSDlogo.gif

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 05:15 PM

You wouldn't have a clue about anything that has to do with the Oilers. Here you are trying to tell us what we should think, but yet you find a condescending way of acting like the Titans are superior to what the Oilers were and rub it in our noses?

You're just a band wagon jumper who hopped on the Titans when they went over to Tennessee. The jerseys are not the Oilers jerseys, nor do they say Oilers on them.

Going from Houston to Tennessee is a higher place? You don't belong in this discussion any way, so why don't you find a nice dirt road in Nashville or some other backwoods town out there and get lost. :loser Go hunt for a possum or have a teeth counting contest, or whatever it is you guys do in that state.

Texan_Bill
10-20-2008, 05:19 PM
You wouldn't have a clue about anything that has to do with the Oilers. Here you are trying to tell us what we should think, but yet you find a condescending way of acting like the Titans are superior to what the Oilers were and rub it in our noses?

You're just a band wagon jumper who hopped on the Titans when they went over to Tennessee. The jerseys are not the Oilers jerseys, nor do they say Oilers on them.

Going from Houston to Tennessee is a higher place? You don't belong in this discussion any way, so why don't you find a nice dirt road in Nashville or some other backwoods town out there and get lost. :loser Go hunt for a possum or have a teeth counting contest, or whatever it is you guys do in that state.

Pssst... Arrow is from that colorful 'special' *not that there's anything wrong with that* area in northern California.

Second Honeymoon
10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
lots of differing opinions. i think it would be kinda cool to see the Texans in the old Oilers uniforms but I guess I still have a little spot in my heart for those damn Oilers.

most of the player's hearts are still in Houston. Bum, Earl, Mauck, and even current Titans assistant coach Bruce Matthews has stated as much....and Bruce played a good portion of his career in Tennessee.

I ain't gonna hate on the Titans. they have done real well since they got to Tennessee. Just shows you how important a good head coach is. They don't have the most talent in the league but they are probably the strongest team this season. It's a good brand of football they are playing. run the ball, dominate the line of scrimmage, and just murder people on defense.

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Pssst... Arrow is from that colorful 'special' *not that there's anything wrong with that* area in northern California.

Oh, so he's basically a band wagoner any way ha? I really don't care where he's from. I don't mind other fans coming here wanting to talk football, but he has clearly came into this exact thread at least twice now attempting to down grade our history as fans while rubbing it in our noses as well. I guess certain Californians like to just pick teams to root for since they don't have any of their own in certain cities. :tomato:

Texan_Bill
10-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Oh, so he's basically a band wagoner any way ha? I really don't care where he's from. I don't mind other fans coming here wanting to talk football, but he has clearly came into this exact thread at least twice now attempting to down grade our history as fans while rubbing it in our noses as well. I guess certain Californians like to just pick teams to root for since they don't have any of their own in certain cities. :tomato:

You have to basically laugh it away man...

Tinnbread fans want the history when its conveniently good history, but then, stay away from it when it's something bad like the Buffalo game. If you're ever bored just go back and read some of the previous threads (you can start with the VY sausage thread). Once you glance through it or some of the others, you'll definitely see a theme.

The only one I know that was a fan of the Houston Oilers and actually followed the team was ChildressMan79. The irony being that Ray was born in Tennessee before going to Texas A&M and subsequently being here since (sans one year with the Cowboys)

Double Barrel
10-20-2008, 06:04 PM

Far be it from me to defend a Titans fan, but BA has always said that he's been a Houston Oilers fan ever since he was a kid. Not being from the Houston area, he doesn't have the local ties to the team, so he just rooted for the franchise when they moved. (He and I have gone around this very issue on numerous occasions, as I could never understand why he wouldn't just root for his own hometown team with a history of championship successes...but that's another story for another day. I do believe him, though, that he's been an Oilers/Titans for a long while.)

IF the Texans were to ever sport another franchise's uniforms, I'd be highly disappointed in them. However, I'd prefer they go with Gamblers colors instead of the Oilers (whose franchise is still in existence as evidenced by this thread). If I take away nostalgia for our old Luv Ya Blue team, I think the Gamblers had cooler looking unis, logo, and colors. JMO

DBCooper
10-20-2008, 06:12 PM
IF the Texans were to ever sport another franchise's uniforms, I'd be highly disappointed in them. However, I'd prefer they go with Gamblers colors instead of the Oilers (whose franchise is still in existence as evidenced by this thread). If I take away nostalgia for our old Luv Ya Blue team, I think the Gamblers had cooler looking unis, logo, and colors. JMO

I loved the Oilers uniforms.

The tacks don't deserve to look that cool. (among other reasons)

Blazing Arrow
10-20-2008, 06:15 PM

I was a fan before they were the Titans and I still remain a fan. You assume I have no clue what the Oilers franchise is about while knowing nothing about me. Take your condensing stereo types and shove them. FWIW most of the country feels like people from Texas are cattle humping want to be cowboys who would be lucky if they knew how to dial a phone. Stereo typing people just makes you look ignorant. But please tell me about my teeth and lack of education. I will go hide under my two degrees. :rolleyes:

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Far be it from me to defend a Titans fan, but BA has always said that he's been a Houston Oilers fan ever since he was a kid. Not being from the Houston area, he doesn't have the local ties to the team, so he just rooted for the franchise when they moved. (He and I have gone around this very issue on numerous occasions, as I could never understand why he wouldn't just root for his own hometown team with a history of championship successes...but that's another story for another day. I do believe him, though, that he's been an Oilers/Titans for a long while.)

He may have been an Oiler fan or whatever, but he is coming into a Texans board and rubbing salt on old wounds. I'm a die hard Texans fan, but I'll still cherish my Oilers memories as well and the "Luv ya blue", expression will always run in my veins just as the Texans pride does now. I knew a few of the players back then and some of the coaches as well. I still have old memorabilia of the Oilers stuff in my office.

Saying that the Titans went to a higher place is not only stupid, but uncalled for and an insult to our city in general. Bragging on a 6-0 record and waving it around saying how the Oilers of old were never this good and :blah: yada yada yada is just an attempt to cheapen what the old Oilers were.

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 06:45 PM
I was a fan before they were the Titans and I still remain a fan. You assume I have no clue what the Oilers franchise is about while knowing nothing about me. Take your condensing stereo types and shove them. FWIW most of the country feels like people from Texas are cattle humping want to be cowboys who would be lucky if they knew how to dial a phone. Stereo typing people just makes you look ignorant. But please tell me about my teeth and lack of education. I will go hide under my two degrees. :rolleyes:

You can call yourself an Oilers fan all you want, but no real Oilers fan would be coming in here and attempting to cheapen what we did back in the 90's or 80's by saying something like "They've moved to a higher place". We don't need to hear you brag on your team's record in here while trying to bring up the fact that "No Oilers teams ever could do that", or "no Oilers teams could ever go to a SB".

BiPolar Titan fan comes in here and discusses football politely and respectfully. He made his case and gave his opinions in here with respect that this is a Texans board and all. You came in here to take a few cheap shots and crack a few. And you're trying to accuse me of stereotyping you after you say that the Oilers left town to go to a HIGHER place, and then return with your own stereotypes about us being cowboys who can't dial a phone? :crazy::blah::blah: Maybe I do need to put a cowboy hat on and my boots as well, because your BS is getting to deep for me.

And for the record, I bet that Oilers team of 93 with Gary Brown, Warren Moon, and many others would put a nice beating on this current Titans team.

Double Barrel
10-20-2008, 06:47 PM
He may have been an Oiler fan or whatever, but he is coming into a Texans board and rubbing salt on old wounds. I'm a die hard Texans fan, but I'll still cherish my Oilers memories as well and the "Luv ya blue", expression will always run in my veins just as the Texans pride does now. I knew a few of the players back then and some of the coaches as well. I still have old memorabilia of the Oilers stuff in my office.

Saying that the Titans went to a higher place is not only stupid, but uncalled for and an insult to our city in general. Bragging on a 6-0 record and waving it around saying how the Oilers of old were never this good and :blah: yada yada yada is just an attempt to cheapen what the old Oilers were.

I understand your perspective, Tex. I really do...

But, I have let the past go and choose not to live there anymore. I will always appreciate our city's football history. Good times, bad times, warts and all. They are just memories now. And nothing we do, say, or believe, will ever bring it back to the way things were.

I hate the Titans as much as anybody. I was a diehard Cowboys hater until the Titans were created. Now, I can barely give a rat's azz what happens to the girls. My hatred for the Titans eclipses anything/everything that I have disliked about Dallas' team.

All that being said....we, the fans, own the memories. Pud can never take that away. As long as each of us draws a breath from this planet, we will always have those memories (some I wish I could forget, too *cough*35-3*cough*).

The fact remains, however, that the Oilers/Titans were always Pud's team. The colors, the symbols, the records...all of it is OWNED by Pud. Always has been. And I cannot escape the basic fact that Pud and his franchise are intertwined, represent each other, and are inseparable.

So to hold on to those symbols and those colors, only serves to hold onto that which is Pud. Because the uniforms are not what our memories are made of. They are just the decoration to the great football games and players we remember.

After Pud dryhumps the carcass of those symbols, then the cycle of greed is complete. And all that will really mean anything about our old team is the word HOUSTON at the end of the day. JMO

Blazing Arrow
10-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Oh, so he's basically a band wagoner any way ha?

Since you do not know the definition of the word I will help you out.

Bandwagon:

1. a cause or movement that is gaining popularity and support

So tell me again how a back water team as you like to call them who has never won a championship is routing for a 'popular' team. They were not to popular during the Billy Joe years I can tell you that!

I really don't care where he's from. I don't mind other fans coming here wanting to talk football, but he has clearly came into this exact thread at least twice now attempting to down grade our history as fans while rubbing it in our noses as well. I guess certain Californians like to just pick teams to root for since they don't have any of their own in certain cities. :tomato:

No one has down graded your history. As allot of you like to point out it has been 40 years without a championship and now we look to have yet another team in contention in 10 seasons. It seems what ever we are doing is giving us the shots at a title at least.

Who would you chose if it were the Raiders or Titans?

Texecutioner
10-20-2008, 06:57 PM

Bandwagon:

So tell me again how a back water team as you like to call them who has never won a championship is routing for a 'popular' team. They were not to popular during the Billy Joe years I can tell you that!

No one has down graded your history. As allot of you like to point out it has been 40 years without a championship and now we look to have yet another team in contention in 10 seasons. It seems what ever we are doing is giving us the shots at a title at least.

Who would I choose? I would choose where I'm from of course. I was a huge Joe Montana fan and 49er fan when Joe and Jerry were there growing up, but I never had them or any other team I liked over the Oilers because I am a Houstonian born and raised and I was raised into the culture of being a Houston fan and I will always be one EVEN WHEN I"M DEAD.

The Titans are not the Oilers. They are the Titans. I laugh at these pathetic fans out here in Houston that still try acting like they are the Oilers as well and not supporting the Texans. To me they are a disgrace, when they come into Reliant rooting for the Titans.

I don't know exactly where you are from, but I would think that you would be a Niner fan or a Raiders fan if you're from Northern Cali.

LonerATO
10-20-2008, 07:44 PM

I hate myspace, but that is pretty sweet

LonerATO
10-20-2008, 07:52 PM

Bandwagon:

Not trying to be a **** but I think I would choose my hometown team and stick with them thick and thin

Hookem Horns
10-20-2008, 08:10 PM

The Raiders if I were from No Cal. Both teams have screwball owners however the Raiders have a rich NFL history and tradition.

Hervoyel
10-20-2008, 08:27 PM
You know, for all the attention we give and raging debate we have over this subject I imagine this has no impact whatsoever on the Texans. We might want to see them wear that uniform or see the Titans never put it on again but I bet the Texans response to this would go something like

"Titans to consider donning Oilers' throwback jersey in '09"
"Texans to consider giving a crap if it happens"

Blazing Arrow
10-20-2008, 08:43 PM
The Raiders if I were from No Cal. Both teams have screwball owners however the Raiders have a rich NFL history and tradition.

The Marcus Allen incedent finally killed any love I had for that team.

I do like the 9ers and have seen the majority of the games they have played.

Why aren't any of you Cowboys fans? When the Oilers left it was not certain you would get another team and that is a team with a rich history and allot of wins to cling onto.

DBCooper
10-20-2008, 08:50 PM
FWIW most of the country feels like people from Texas are cattle humping want to be cowboys who would be lucky if they knew how to dial a phone.

And what does the rest of the country think of people from NoCal?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Blazing Arrow
10-20-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't know exactly where you are from, but I would think that you would be a Niner fan or a Raiders fan if you're from Northern Cali.

I actually am pretty close to the A's/Raiders stadium. I was there on Friday night. You have to realize that at the time I was a kid the Raiders moved and then came back. Would you root for the Titans if they returned to Houston today? Would they be the same team to you?

Blazing Arrow
10-20-2008, 08:54 PM
And what does the rest of the country think of people from NoCal?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Tree hugging, pot smoking, hippi, homos who can not go more then an hour without a Starbucks 1/2 caf decafe non fat lattes with a sprinckle of cinimon. The point of that comment was not to say I believe in the stereo type just to point out how stupid they tend to be.

DBCooper
10-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Tree hugging, pot smoking, hippi, homos who can not go more then an hour without a Starbucks 1/2 caf decafe non fat lattes with a sprinckle of cinimon. The point of that comment was not to say I believe in the stereo type just to point out how stupid they tend to be.

I know. I just wanted to help.

San Francisco is actually one of my favorite cities.

Hookem Horns
10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Why aren't any of you Cowboys fans? When the Oilers left it was not certain you would get another team and that is a team with a rich history and allot of wins to cling onto.

What if the Dodgers and Giants were the only baseball teams in Cali and the Giants left for Nashville, how many Giants fans do you think would become Dodgers fans?

It's a good comparison because the Dodgers have a much richer history than the Giants.

Blazing Arrow
10-20-2008, 10:09 PM
What if the Dodgers and Giants were the only baseball teams in Cali and the Giants left for Nashville, how many Giants fans do you think would become Dodgers fans?

It's a good comparison because the Dodgers have a much richer history than the Giants.

excuse you?

The Dodgers are a bunch of do nothing want to be Giants franchise. To even imply that a team that housed Mays and McCovey, Bonds Cepeda is not on a different pedestal then the Dodgers is absolutely ridiculous

The battle of the bay and the quake series, Gibson ... every great moment in Dodger history has something to do with the Giants. Without the Giants the Dodgers are nothing.

Hookem Horns
10-20-2008, 10:35 PM
excuse you?

The Dodgers are a bunch of do nothing want to be Giants franchise. To even imply that a team that housed Mays and McCovey, Bonds Cepeda is not on a different pedestal then the Dodgers is absolutely ridiculous

The battle of the bay and the quake series, Gibson ... every great moment in Dodger history has something to do with the Giants. Without the Giants the Dodgers are nothing.

Why would the Dodgers want to be the SF Giants franchise? You think they would prefer to have won absolutely nothing since moving to California just like the Giants? I don't think the LA Dodgers would want to trade in their 5 World Series titles for an empty trophy case.

Sure, I will give you that the Giants are on a different pedestal than the Dodgers, albeit a much lower one if you want to start comparing past greats. Bonds? You're seriously throwing that trash out there as something to be proud of?

The quake series? The Giants got swept in that series. Is getting swept in a series 19 years ago all the Giants fans have to hang their hats on these days? BTW, when you mention Gibson and great Dodger moments in one sentence I think of the A's not the Giants though I am sure a lot of great Dodgers moments have occurred against the Gnats so you might be right there.

Without the Giants the Dodgers are nothing.

Well they surely would have a lot less wins in their history.

Blazing Arrow
10-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Having a rich history does not always mean getting the title ....

Hookem Horns
10-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Having a rich history does not always mean getting the title ....

It sure doesn't hurt. Outside of Giants fans I don't think anyone would have the Giants down as a more storied franchise over the Dodgers.

Regardless, I think I have just proven my point in regards to the Cowboys and Houston. I assume you are a Giants fan and it doesn't sound like you would be jumping on the Dodgers bandwagon if the Giants left California and there were no other teams in that state. Why, because you probably grew up hating the Dodgers. The same is true of most x-Oilers fans and the Cowboys.

BTW, I am a Dodgers fan just in case you couldn't tell ;)

Blazing Arrow
10-20-2008, 11:47 PM
BTW, I am a Dodgers fan just in case you couldn't tell ;)

But why?

How can you follow a Houston team and a LA team at the same time ... that does not make sense. Regardless of you obvious inofficiancies at choosing teams in a way you prove my point. :highfive:

The place a team playes does not make a fan. The ability to suck up the losses and pray for the win and always have a little of you that thinks you will go undefeated is what makes it 'your' teams.

Do you chose your signifacant other based on the place they were raised? No .. so why should something you love as much as your football team be based on the place it exists?

TexansLucky13
10-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Do you chose your signifacant other based on the place they were raised? No .. so why should something you love as much as your football team be based on the place it exists?

No simple metaphor can describe the Oilers situation. The heart of Houston was removed when Bud relocated the team. No one expects you to understand this because words cannot do justice to that travesty. You just have to live it... and believe me when I say that you don't want to have lived through it.

Blazing Arrow
10-21-2008, 12:20 AM
No simple metaphor can describe the Oilers situation. The heart of Houston was removed when Bud relocated the team. No one expects you to understand this because words cannot do justice to that travesty. You just have to live it... and believe me when I say that you don't want to have lived through it.

Something you experienced at conception I guess?

By your profile you are 20 ... I have 11 years of history on you ... I guess by this boards defenitions I trump you on being a fan. I would love to hear your arguments thought. I might be able to use them.

TexansLucky13
10-21-2008, 12:55 AM

By your profile you are 20 ... I have 11 years of history on you ... I guess by this boards defenitions I trump you on being a fan. I would love to hear your arguments thought. I might be able to use them.

I guess that means I'll still be a Texans fan when you are dead and gone.

As a matter of fact I was 10 when the Oilers were yanked from Houston, and that's old enough to understand the effect it had on the people of this city. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that this town loves football (or in your case, perhaps it does?)

TEXANRED
10-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Well I got 2 on you. (I turn 33 next month) And I have actual memories of Earl running the ball and my dad screaming at the TV.

As far as the Tampons, oh, er, I mean Titans go, I could care less now. I have ranted and screamed and thrashed about like a two year old not getting his way. I am over them now.

I have many times compared the Titans to an ex wife and how the fans in Houston who follow them are sad lonely pathetic creatures who can't grasp the fact that she left you.

Well now it seems the tables are turned. Instead of us pinning for her it seems that she has gone out of her way to keep our attention. Everything from VY, retiring Oiler greats, and now playing in Columbia Blue. Its almost like she realizes she made a mistake leaving us for that other guy. She is not even that other guys #1 girl. She always plays second to the SEC. Even the home that was built specially for her is second rate.

Well I am here to say, I am over them and Go TEXANS!

Buccaneer Bruce
10-27-2008, 09:09 PM
I lived in Houston while the Texans were announced, I was disappointed to see the Oilers name/logo/history was not left in Houston, but I really love the Oilers uniforms and I hate the Titans uniforms.

Hookem Horns
10-27-2008, 09:30 PM
I lived in Houston while the Texans were announced, I was disappointed to see the Oilers name/logo/history was not left in Houston, but I really love the Oilers uniforms and I hate the Titans uniforms.

Nice screen name. I grew up loving the Bucco Bruce uniform. It was my favorite in the NFL. I had an orange Doug Williams jersey when I was a kid. I rooted for the Bucs along with the Oilers as a kid. I hated when they switched however the new uniform is good and is "tougher".

I started following the Giants more when I was in the north and started losing my rooting interest in the Bucs (I have no connection to Florida). However I still root for them over everyone but the Giants and Texans. I even own a Bucs shirt and hat somewhere.

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/nat-409-7.jpg

cheb_aladdin
12-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Bul****

I can't imagine Oilers' uniform to be worn outside HOUSTON! texanpride

it belongs to Houston ONLY

ATX
12-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Bul****

I can't imagine Oilers' uniform to be worn outside HOUSTON! texanpride

it belongs to Houston ONLY

How about they wear them when they play us at home next year?

cheb_aladdin
12-14-2008, 09:53 AM
How about they wear them when they play us at home next year?

lol ... ATX,

you gotta read b/w the lines! ... i meant the uniform belongs to a "HOUSTON" team.

but anyways... i hope the titans will forget about this and leave the Oilers jersey ******* alone! :cowboy1:

BullBlitz
12-14-2008, 10:11 AM

People should respect the fact that it's his franchise and his property.

BullBlitz
12-14-2008, 10:12 AM
You can call yourself an Oilers fan all you want, but no real Oilers fan would be coming in here and attempting to cheapen what we did back in the 90's or 80's by saying something like "They've moved to a higher place". We don't need to hear you brag on your team's record in here while trying to bring up the fact that "No Oilers teams ever could do that", or "no Oilers teams could ever go to a SB".

BiPolar Titan fan comes in here and discusses football politely and respectfully. He made his case and gave his opinions in here with respect that this is a Texans board and all. You came in here to take a few cheap shots and crack a few. And you're trying to accuse me of stereotyping you after you say that the Oilers left town to go to a HIGHER place, and then return with your own stereotypes about us being cowboys who can't dial a phone? :crazy::blah::blah: Maybe I do need to put a cowboy hat on and my boots as well, because your BS is getting to deep for me.

And for the record, I bet that Oilers team of 93 with Gary Brown, Warren Moon, and many others would put a nice beating on this current Titans team.

I doubt that very seriously. That whole Warren Moon era was a disappointment.

kastofsna
12-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Nice screen name. I grew up loving the Bucco Bruce uniform. It was my favorite in the NFL. I had an orange Doug Williams jersey when I was a kid. I rooted for the Bucs along with the Oilers as a kid. I hated when they switched however the new uniform is good and is "tougher".

I started following the Giants more when I was in the north and started losing my rooting interest in the Bucs (I have no connection to Florida). However I still root for them over everyone but the Giants and Texans. I even own a Bucs shirt and hat somewhere.

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/nat-409-7.jpg

there are talks of the Bucs having a throwback game next year. everyone in Tampa wants it, they love the old unis. but Derrick Brooks is against it since he had to play in those days

awtysst
12-14-2008, 11:26 AM
So the Titans are gonna don the old Oilers Jerseys. WIll the jets don the New York Titans colors?!

http://images.bleedinggreennation.com/images/admin/NYTitans_ActiveWindow.jpg

vs

http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/33-50/33-50235-F.jpg