PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back #23. Oh how we've missed you.

TEXANS84
10-14-2008, 02:05 PM
It's going to be great to see #23 back on the field, even if it is for a limited basis these few home games.

http://assets.houstontexans.com/assets/stories/628.jpg

Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson will be back on the practice field Wednesday for the first time since suffering a torn knee ligament and torn hamstring in the Oakland game last season.

Robinson has been on the physically unable to perform list. The Texans arent expected to wait the maximum three weeks to put him on the roster. He could play Sunday.

Im encouraged by what Ive seen, coach Gary Kubiak said. Well have to be smart. Well put him in a competitive environment on Wednesday. Whether thats scout team or however we do that, well see how he comes out of that. Well work him Thursday probably on a limited roll with the defense. I think by Thursday evening well have a good idea of whether or not hes ready to play some.
Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6056571.html)

Tedc
10-14-2008, 02:08 PM
So, Superman can come back after being exposed to Kryptonite!

Welcome back, Dunte! Just don't push it. We can make it a little longer if it means you get healthy.

Thorn
10-14-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm scared at BOTH bringing him back to early and playing without him.

Good luck Dunta, we need your talent on the field!

Hardcore Texan
10-14-2008, 02:10 PM
It will be great to see him on the field. Him and Mario are my two favorite Texans. :texflag:

Mailman
10-14-2008, 02:12 PM
There's a video up at HT.com of Dunta's interview with Brooke Bentley.

I particularly enjoyed this: "I didn't work this hard to come back and not be the Dunta Robinson that people are used to."

Welcome back, 23. You've been missed.

powerfuldragon
10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
in related news, tornados spawned all over china as the entire city of houston breathed a sigh of relief.

mexican_texan
10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
"I've never wanted to hug a grown man so much in my life"

--Erik Winston.

Granted, he said it after the win, but I think he meant that Dunta comes back soon.

HOU-TEX
10-14-2008, 02:17 PM
It's going to be awesome seeing the Mini-Beast come out of the tunnel again.

Even more so when he lays the wood. :fans:

Errant Hothy
10-14-2008, 02:19 PM
There's a video up at HT.com of Dunta's interview with Brooke Bentley.

I particularly enjoyed this: "I didn't work this hard to come back and not be the Dunta Robinson that people are used to."

Welcome back, 23. You've been missed.

Truer words on this board have never been spoken.

SheTexan
10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Great news!!!! The fans will go wild on Sunday, if he gets to play!!!

TexansSeminole
10-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Scout team sounds good. Let him go up against Kdub and AJ for a week. Get him back in gear.

YellerLotYeller
10-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Welcome back two three!!!

I can already hear ribs crackin' around the league.

http://www.sport-desktops.com/images/thumbs/508.jpg

HJam72
10-14-2008, 02:28 PM
If he comes back healthy and Bennett can get back what he had last year, which Robinson's play may well have a positive impact on, our D grows a pair.

Double Barrel
10-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Man, that's great news! Our secondary lacks identity, and a leader like D.Rob can really make a difference. I look forward to seeing him back in action in any capacity.

HJam72
10-14-2008, 02:33 PM
I just hope D-Rob and Leach don't kill each other in practice.

Brandon420tx
10-14-2008, 02:50 PM

ROFL :fans: Leach is my favorate player on offense, Dunta on Defense.

I can't wait to see him at full power in a few weeks

cowbellm00
10-14-2008, 02:57 PM
:texflag::texan: hooray!! #23

Polo
10-14-2008, 02:58 PM

I went to a practice last yr. and Dunta won both of those battles...

Neither player was going all out, but Dunta put Vontay on the ground with some pretty good shots...

stevn8r
10-14-2008, 03:24 PM
What do y'all think we should chant when he comes on the field?

DUN-TAY! DUN-TAY! or
2-3! 2-3! or
D-ROB! D-ROB! or
ROBINSON! ROBINSON!

I like the first one myself.

Whatever it is, I can't wait to yell something!!! :wild:
Welcome back Dunta!!!!! BRING THE WOOD!!!!:fans:

gary
10-14-2008, 04:33 PM
I just hopes that he stays here next season.

Mailman
10-14-2008, 04:36 PM
I just hopes that he stays here next season.

If he's able to gradually become 80% of the player he was prior to the injury, there's almost no chance he's anywhere but here. The Texans will franchise him if that's what it takes.

J-Russ
10-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Man, look at the talent we got in the backfield. we got Faggins and Reeves exceeding expectations, Molden developing, Bennett, Wilson, and now D-Rob. We sure got the talent to maybe do some corner blitzes like back in '04.

rollinstone18
10-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Just the man we need that can pop Calvin Johnson in the mouth.

Texecutioner
10-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Can't wait to see Robinson back on the field. One of the most exciting and underrated CB's in the league. Hopefully he can return to his old form. :kingkong:

Nawzer
10-14-2008, 04:58 PM
It's definitely awesome to have him back. Yet to be determined if he actually gets on the field or not this Sunday. I know Dunta will be doing everything in his power to play but hopefully the coaches will watch him carefully. But the most important thing is whether or not he can actually help the defense. He's been out for a while so we'll have to wait and see if he can just step right in and play. But it's definitely great to have him back.

Showtime100
10-14-2008, 05:05 PM
I've got to get my name in this thread. It seems like forever. Welcome back Dunta!!

:includeme:

I finally get to use that emoticon.

b0ng
10-14-2008, 05:52 PM
If he's able to gradually become 80% of the player he was prior to the injury, there's almost no chance he's anywhere but here. The Texans will franchise him if that's what it takes.

Wouldn't that be the first time the Texans ever had to use the franchise tag on anybody?

TEXANS84
10-14-2008, 06:07 PM
On HT.com:

"I'm the missing piece of the puzzle to our defense".

gary
10-14-2008, 06:49 PM
It's definitely awesome to have him back. Yet to be determined if he actually gets on the field or not this Sunday. I know Dunta will be doing everything in his power to play but hopefully the coaches will watch him carefully. But the most important thing is whether or not he can actually help the defense. He's been out for a while so we'll have to wait and see if he can just step right in and play. But it's definitely great to have him back.I think him just being out there will help out the D alot.

CloakNNNdagger
10-14-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm also in the group excited to see him back on the active team. But after the types of injuries he is to climb back from, 80% will be a hefty goal for even the end of the season. I hope he beats the odds, but I think the 80% number may be more realistic for the next season. I'm afraid we may not know what we really have until after the contract period lapses. If that occurs, the Texans and Dunta will both have tough choices to deal with. That said, if anyone will be putting out unlimited effort to pull off the unlikely, it WILL be Dunta.:pirate:

gary
10-14-2008, 07:35 PM
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

imatexan
10-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Seeing him on the field is going to be something, this guy has been a bright spot for years now, Woo!

False Start
10-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Its going the be sweet to see Dunta back. It makes me feel as if the true defensive leader is back on the field. His leadership really shined through with Bennett last season. :fans:

TEXANS84
10-15-2008, 11:24 AM
The Texans’ locker room was a feel-good place Sunday afternoon. But down at the end where the defensive players dress, there was an extra, audible buzz in the air.

“Twenty-three’s coming back,” one guy would say, then another. The refrain repeated over and over, interspersed with other forms of celebratory whooping and hollering. The defense had an extra reason to party. Not only were the Texans finally in the win column, one of their leaders would soon be returning to the fray.

To a man, the Texans like No. 23 because there’s nothing not to like about him. Dunta Robinson is friendly and affable. He’s charismatic. He’s cool, what with his “dreads,” pointy goatee, extensive body art and edgy wardrobe. Most important, he’s a fierce competitor, a big-time playmaker.

Or at least he had been until his lower right leg got all twisted around in a pileup on the Oakland Raiders’ field last fall, leaving Robinson in agony with two torn ligaments, torn-loose hamstrings and, it was first feared, career-threatening damage to the nerve that made his foot functional.

But all that’s old news now. The nerve was OK, and the other stuff slowly healed through equal doses of patience and hard work.

“Now,” Robinson said, “it’s time for football again. I’m itching. I was pacing back and forth the whole (pregame) walkthrough. It’s a blessing to be back to this point and even be talking about playing again. (The rehab) is winding down. I can’t wait to get back out there with my teammates.”

Full article (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6058634.html)

BigBull17
10-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Who knows, we may be at a turning point in our franchise, not just this season.

Polo
10-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Full article (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6058634.html)

Gave me goosebumps.

GlassHalfFull
10-15-2008, 11:56 AM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/kdcoughlen/welcomedunta2.jpg

Tedc
10-15-2008, 11:57 AM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/kdcoughlen/welcomeduntacopy.jpg

What, no Epstein?

Polo
10-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Welcome back, Welcome back, Wel-come baack!

Hardcore Texan
10-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Welcome back, Welcome back, Wel-come baack!

Here ya go......we need to hear it to get the full effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=130X7_mHD40

Polo
10-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Here ya go......we need to hear it to get the full effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=130X7_mHD40

Excellent!:goodpost:

As a 23 yr. old man I should neither like nor enjoy that so much....

Brando
10-15-2008, 12:11 PM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/kdcoughlen/welcomeduntacopy.jpg

I love it! Must spread rep...yada,yada,yada.

Hardcore Texan
10-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Excellent!:goodpost:

As a 23 yr. old man I should neither like nor enjoy that so much....

I am old enough that I actually watched that show *sheds tear*, can't remember if it was new episodes or re-runs though, I was pretty young.

Brando
10-15-2008, 12:28 PM
What, no Epstein?

Please excuse Epstein for not being in the picture.

Signed,

Epstein's mother's doctor

Texans_Chick
10-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Caveat...I adore Dunta Robinson. I enjoy watching him play and I enjoy his intensity and that he is one of the few Texans who isn't always Stepford about how things are going....however.

1. He's coming back from serious injury;
2. The defense wasn't great when he was playing on the field and then all of a sudden got sucky. They have been consistently sorry for 4 years straight. That's not all on him, but it is just the way it is.

/sorryforthebuzzkill

If he comes back this year anything like himself, it will be the biggest comeback story of the year.

TEXANS84
10-15-2008, 01:09 PM
With his contract expiring at the end of the season, I'm pretty sure he's going to go Haynesworth on a few people.

HOU-TEX
10-15-2008, 01:15 PM
With his contract expiring at the end of the season, I'm pretty sure he's going to go Haynesworth on a few people.

Very nice! Let's hope he'll refrain from the stomping portion. :)

Texans_Chick
10-15-2008, 01:16 PM

I know that his mind will be willing, but I wonder what his body will be able to do.....

gtexan02
10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Ironically, he has said the opposite has been true so far. He coul dhave gotten medical clearance but mentally wasn't ready

TEXANS84
10-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I know that his mind will be willing, but I wonder what his body will be able to do.....

My mind's telling me no

But my body, my body's telling me yes

Baby, I dont want to hurt nobody

But there is something i must confess (to you)

Whoo

I dont see nothing wrong

With a little bump and grind

R Kelly: "Bump and Grind Lyrics" (http://www.lyricsdownload.com/wayne-wonder-bump-and-grind-lyrics.html)

powerfuldragon
10-15-2008, 02:09 PM

that statement describes me at that post-marathon sorority party.

...but i digress, so.. dunta's back.

gary
10-15-2008, 03:59 PM
We'll see how he plays.

JWarren14
10-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Any news on how practice went today? I havent read anything, just the pre-pracitce quotes on HT.com. He wasn't on the injury report, but I noticed Kevin Smith and Calvin Johnson both sat out today vs. the Lions.

Ole Miss Texan
10-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Any word about him during practice today?

Reliant is going to ERUPT when they see #23 running out onto the field when he finally gets to play.

I think the biggest part of Dunta's return is not that he'll be SO much better than the other CB's we have, at least maybe not at this point. But he's going to be suited up and he brings this attitude that we've been lacking. The passion and drive that seems to have been gone from our team.

3rd and Inches
10-15-2008, 05:20 PM
I must say it's been a long time coming and a very long wait. I'm psyched to hear Dunta's practicing again. I think it would give the team a huge morale boost, especially on D, when he gets to return to the game. I'm as giddy as a school girl now.

TexansSeminole
10-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Dunta atleast understands the position well. Just getting him back and having a guy that understands the little things will help us greatly.

TEXANS84
10-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Any news on how practice went today? I havent read anything, just the pre-pracitce quotes on HT.com.

The Texans first day with Dunta Robinson back on the field was seemingly a success. His teammates razzed him. They were all clearly glad to see him dressed and playing alongside them.

Robinson played sparingly in the practice with the first-team defense. He wasn't on scout team though. And the plan this weekend is to use him for 15-20 plays, if he's ready. That's the play count Robinson said he would expect in his first game, and the coaches will probably agree with it.

His simple presence on the field gives the defense a little more swagger, and it adds a more competitive-edge to a secondary that was already pushing each other so much that DeMarcus Faggins took the starting job over Fred Bennett.

The coaches will be careful with how they handle Robinson though. They want to see him on the field as much and as often as anyone. But they don't want to mess it up. They've watched him rehabilitate for almost a year, and they don't want to push him before he's ready.

Megan Manfull to the rescue (http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans/2008/10/dunta_robinson_survives_his_fi.html)

barrett
10-15-2008, 05:29 PM
VERY promising that they didn't even bother with the scout team thing.

Mr teX
10-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Megan Manfull to the rescue (http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans/2008/10/dunta_robinson_survives_his_fi.html)

Ha! he's got the bob sanders effect on the D...that's good to hear. This will be the 1st game of the year i attend this sunday & i'll be paying especially close to how he's moving out there. If i don't see any hitches or anything i might just stand up in my seat & :splits:

drewmar74
10-15-2008, 05:49 PM
If i don't see any hitches or anything i might just stand up in my seat & :splits:

Just be careful not to :hobie:

gary
10-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Malloy
10-15-2008, 06:09 PM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/kdcoughlen/welcomedunta2.jpg

After seeing this picture I'm convinced that the glass is completely emptied! :)

Hook'er
10-15-2008, 09:37 PM
It's going to be great to see #23 back on the field, even if it is for a limited basis these few home games.

http://assets.houstontexans.com/assets/stories/628.jpg

Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6056571.html)

I can't wait!

scourge
10-15-2008, 11:01 PM

"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised." - Zapp Brannigan

YellerLotYeller
10-16-2008, 12:09 AM
I saw Dunta walking across the bridge from the practice field on Kirby today. Seeing him in practice unis, holding his helmet made me freak out a little on the inside. The guy driving(Waste Mgnt. truck I think) next to me laid on his horn and Dunta threw his hands in the air like he was saying "I'm Baaack!"

It was a sweet sight to see.

:texflag:

BuffaloglennTX
10-16-2008, 01:16 PM
I wonder what could be done to get the word out beyond what the media has covered. How nice it would be to have 70,000 actual bodies in attendance for the player announcements, to roar in unison when #23 runs out onto the field. Granted it would be different from most games as other threads have pointed out with people showing up late, but wouldn't it be nice and appropriate for one of the team's hardest workers.

jlam
10-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Best of luck to Dunta, he's earned it.

Pretty amazing the way medical technology has progressed to allow these players to come back and compete at a high level so soon after what used to be (as little as 5-10 years ago) career threatening injuries. The right doctors and the right attitude and dedication to rehab is giving us some really unprecedented comebacks these days. Robinson tore his ACL and ripped his hamstring off the bone less than a year ago. Mike McKenzie tore his ACL in the second to last game of '07 and came back a few weeks ago. Willis McGahee's entire pro career after a horrific knee injury in college is amazing. Deuce McAllister has torn his ACL twice and had microfracture surgery and is still producing (albeit not at quite as high a level).

Great stuff.

Porky
10-16-2008, 04:28 PM
I would love to see him introduced in the starting lineup Sunday. Even if he just plays that first play, and then they yank him on 2nd down. Just to have him intro'd and get on the field I think would totally pump up the D and the crowd. :pirate:

HOU-TEX
10-16-2008, 04:35 PM
I would love to see him introduced in the starting lineup Sunday. Even if he just plays that first play, and then they yank him on 2nd down. Just to have him intro'd and get on the field I think would totally pump up the D and the crowd. :pirate:

Even if he doesn't start it'd be dumb not to announce him. Announcing Dunta would be an instant increase in decibel level.

It'd get the crowd pumped up more than usual. :fans:

gary
10-16-2008, 05:53 PM
I'll announce his name. CB number 23 Dunta you guys know the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pantherstang84
10-16-2008, 08:35 PM
This huge!

Welcome Back #23!!!!

Vinnie
10-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I really don't care if it is only 15-20 plays, we'll take what we can get! Welcome back D Rob!!! :doot:

Polo
10-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Cornerback Dunta Robinson looked even better in his second practice of the season. Coach Gary Kubiak will have until Saturday afternoon to decide whether to play Robinson on Sunday against the Lions.

Dunta improving: In his second practice back, Dunta Robinson looked more like his old self. He was wearing pads and hitting people with his D-Rob swagger.

“We put the pads on him today and he banged a few guys around,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “His reps picked up. There was nothing that came out of yesterday that was any setback at all. So as long as he wakes up tomorrow morning and he’s the same, then he should be ready to go.”

Kubiak had been worried that practicing on the turf on Wednesday would be hard on Robinson’s body, but the corner said his knee and hamstring felt fine.

“Man, I haven’t felt that way in a long time,” Robinson said. “It was a good feeling, especially after running around as much as I did yesterday. It gives you a little bit more confidence knowing that I made it through my first practice, and hopefully I can make it through my second.”

Robinson hasn’t been placed on the active roster yet. To do so requires the Texans to make a personnel move, and they plan to wait until after Friday’s practice to make a decision about activating Robinson for Sunday’s game against Detroit.

“We’ve got ‘til three o’clock on Saturday, so you can always wait with those things,” Kubiak said. “Those are tough decisions. You’ve got to find some player that you’re going to let go or put on the practice squad or whatever you’re going to do. So we’ll wait to the last moment to do that. You never know what can happen between now and Saturday afternoon.”

If Robinson is activated for the game, the Texans plan to use him.

“If he’s up, he’s going to play,” Kubiak said.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4762

Toro59
10-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Cornerback Dunta Robinson has done so well in practice this week that he'll be activated for the Texans' game against Detroit at Reliant Stadium. The Texans named Robinson, who'll come off the bench as the nickel corner, as one of the team captains for Sunday's game.

"Dunta's had great practices, and unless he wakes up with a sore knee, he'll play against the Lions," coach Gary Kubiak said. "He's brought a lot of energy to practice this week."

To make room for Robinson on the 53-man roster, the Texans placed running back Chris Taylor on injured reserve. Taylor has been out with a quad injury since suffering the injury in the overtime loss at Jacksonville.

Robinson, who had two operations to repair a torn knee ligament and a hamstring that had been detached from the bone, had been on the physically unable to perform list. Under NFL rules, the Texans had three weeks for him to practice before they had to make a decision to activiate or place him on injured reserve for the season.

Because Robinson looked so good in practice the last three days and had no problems with his knee or hamstring, Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith elected to activate him. Kubiak said the plan is to play Robinson for up to 20 plays against the Lions.

"That's great news," Robinson said after practice Friday. "I feel great. I haven't had any swelling or soreness -- nothing. That even surprises me, to be honest with you. I can't wait to get out there."

Jacques Reeves and DeMarcus Faggins are the starting corners. Robinson and Fred Bennett are the backups. Robinson will be the first off the bench.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6064459.html

Polo
10-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Chris Taylor on injured reserve for a sore Quad ?

He can't be too happy about that....

Who's the back-up fullback now ?

Bennett demoted to the fourth corner ?

gtexan02
10-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Man, how the mighty have fallen. Fred was getting preseason press as being the top up and coming corner in the NFL. His metrics were beyond amazing according to many.

Now he's the 4th string corner on a banged up/struggling secondary. Ouch\

I hope he pulls through this slump now that his mentor is back. We saw the same loss of production from DRob after Glenn was traded

Toro59
10-17-2008, 02:47 PM

Cecil Sapp

The Pencil Neck
10-17-2008, 02:51 PM

Bennett demoted to the fourth corner ?

Cecil Sapp is our backup fullback.

Fourth or Fifth corner? That's brutal.

Where did you see that Taylor has been IR'd? I've missed that.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see it.

JayCee
10-19-2008, 06:42 PM
how did Dunta look out there today?

PapaL
10-19-2008, 06:43 PM
IMO, Tentative and hesitant and rusty.

Everything you would expect for a guy who has been out for almost a year.

gtexan02
10-19-2008, 06:56 PM
I was highly disapointed with DRob. He looked very hesitant, made a good defensive play but had to committ a penalty to do it, and was always last to the ball. Not a good first showing, but I think he'll come around

TexanSam
10-19-2008, 06:59 PM
I was highly disapointed with DRob. He looked very hesitant, made a good defensive play but had to committ a penalty to do it, and was always last to the ball. Not a good first showing, but I think he'll come around

I wasn't really disappointed. I wasn't expecting much out of him after not seeing any game time action in almost one year. It was just neat to see him back on the field. Hopefully he comes around within the next few games though.

TexansSeminole
10-19-2008, 07:02 PM
I wasn't really disappointed. I wasn't expecting much out of him after not seeing any game time action in almost one year. It was just neat to see him back on the field. Hopefully he comes around within the next few games though.

That's how I see it. Wasn't expecting a whole lot.

The penalty in the endzone isn't that bad. It's on a two point conversion and if your beat why not commit a penalty? They are already close, why not give yourselves another chance to stop the play if your beat on the first one.

edo783
10-19-2008, 10:01 PM
I wasn't expecting much, so I thought he did reasonably well in what for him was a pre-season game. He made one nice smack on a guy at the sidelines to knock him out of bounds.

Norg
10-19-2008, 11:25 PM
His intro today was epic ill give him that LOL

Polo
10-20-2008, 08:26 AM
I was impressed with Dunta...He showed that he still has some explosion wich is what I was worried about most...He showed that he can still jump, he showed that old d-rob explosion when making that tackle on the sideline...

The other stuff looked like just bad timing and getting his game legs back which should come around with more playing time...

nunusguy
10-20-2008, 08:49 AM

Are you really serious ?
D-Rob hadn't played a single down, a single snap in any kind of game (including exhibition or preseason games), in almost a full year. And you somehow thought he'd just step out there on the field and play like he did in the 2007 season ? And I didn't even mention a very, very severe injury (actually a multiple injury), that many said might have ended his career.
I thought it was nothing short of remarkable that he was back out on the field so soon, as realistically I think many other players wouldn't have returned (if they had returned at all) under the circumstances, until the 2009 season.
I have nothing but praise to D-Rob for being back at it so soon. And most of all, I just hope they take it slow and gradual and think of the long-term for D-Robs & the Texans sake.

CloakNNNdagger
10-20-2008, 08:51 AM
It was his first time back, and he played with heart. But his "rust" was quite evident. What was particularly disturbing to me was in his furvor in giving the message "I am back," there were several plays where he "piled on" when the O player was obviously down. It was surprising that he wasn't called for it.

BuffaloglennTX
10-20-2008, 09:01 AM
His intro today was epic ill give him that LOL

Somebody tell us - was it really, really loud for his intro or just sort of the usual half-full stadium with piped in crowd noise? I couldn't make this game but sure wished I could have been there losing my voice for D-Rob's return. :texflag:

HOU-TEX
10-20-2008, 09:51 AM
It was his first time back, and he played with heart. But his "rust" was quite evident. What was particularly disturbing to me was in his furvor in giving the message "I am back," there were several plays where he "piled on" when the O player was obviously down. It was surprising that he wasn't called for it.

Bennett made up for the no calls towards the end of the game. What a dumb move. :foottap:

disaacks3
10-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Bennett made up for the no calls towards the end of the game. What a dumb move. :foottap: Mario wound up and threw a PUNCH at one point (someone else got called for Roughness)...I need to go back & review the tape.

Dunta looked VERY rusty and got burned, etc. all day. I didn't really expect more though. If he's not back to good reads in 2-3 games, THEN I'll start getting worried.

b0ng
10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Mario wound up and threw a PUNCH at one point (someone else got called for Roughness)...I need to go back & review the tape.

Dunta looked VERY rusty and got burned, etc. all day. I didn't really expect more though. If he's not back to good reads in 2-3 games, THEN I'll start getting worried.

I really don't expect him to be his old self really until the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if right now he's really the 2nd or 3rd best corner on the team. He also hasn't practiced really at all with the team until this week. So yeah, he's probably as rusty as possible, and it might take another offseason to really work on it before he's back up to "full speed".

He'll get his play time, but I don't expect anything really from Dunta being back. And I think a lot of teams are going to try to throw at him when he's on the field because they know it's been awhile for him. Might as well exploit him until he shows you that he shouldn't.

I'm just glad he pretty much looked like his old self, just out of place a lot. I don't think he'll stay a step slow the rest of his career.

mattieuk
10-20-2008, 11:55 AM
I really don't expect him to be his old self really until the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if right now he's really the 2nd or 3rd best corner on the team. He also hasn't practiced really at all with the team until this week. So yeah, he's probably as rusty as possible, and it might take another offseason to really work on it before he's back up to "full speed".

He'll get his play time, but I don't expect anything really from Dunta being back. And I think a lot of teams are going to try to throw at him when he's on the field because they know it's been awhile for him. Might as well exploit him until he shows you that he shouldn't.

I'm just glad he pretty much looked like his old self, just out of place a lot. I don't think he'll stay a step slow the rest of his career.

I think the rustiness will be there for a good few weeks yet. He had a serious injury, and is lucky to be playing football a this level at all. His head will come back quicker than his physical superiority. He should be performing by our wildcard matchup I think...

CloakNNNdagger
10-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Mario wound up and threw a PUNCH at one point (someone else got called for Roughness)...I need to go back & review the tape.

Mario had 2 Lions overtly go for his knees on a double team (unnoticed by the astute zebras) at the same time on the same play. I wouldn't have faulted him for doing anything after that play.

OzzO
10-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Somebody tell us - was it really, really loud for his intro or just sort of the usual half-full stadium with piped in crowd noise? I couldn't make this game but sure wished I could have been there losing my voice for D-Rob's return. :texflag:

Ditto this question. In the post game notes, they mentioned how it was setup for the defense to be called in intros and D-Rob would be the last out. I think they said someone on defense took his helmet, so he came out w/o it. D-Rob said he was so excited to run back out there that he just did a little "clown dance".

:specnatz:

TEXANS84
10-20-2008, 01:23 PM
It was loud as hell when Dunta came in. Definitley an emotional time.
There were a few more people in the seats for the 3pm game rather than noon games.

cuppacoffee
10-20-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm also in the group excited to see him back on the active team. But after the types of injuries he is to climb back from, 80% will be a hefty goal for even the end of the season. I hope he beats the odds, but I think the 80% number may be more realistic for the next season. I'm afraid we may not know what we really have until after the contract period lapses. If that occurs, the Texans and Dunta will both have tough choices to deal with. That said, if anyone will be putting out unlimited effort to pull off the unlikely, it WILL be Dunta.:pirate:

I was doubtful he would ever play again after reading about his injury at the time. Expressed it in writing then. Do they make an eraser for past message board posts..:D

:coffee:

10-21-2008, 11:37 AM
does anybody think robinson is gonna start a game this season?

El Tejano
10-21-2008, 12:06 PM
does anybody think robinson is gonna start a game this season?

I would bet on first game in December, MNF against the Jags.

gary
10-21-2008, 05:22 PM
I think so if we're contending at that point.

gtexan02
10-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Are you really serious ?
D-Rob hadn't played a single down, a single snap in any kind of game (including exhibition or preseason games), in almost a full year. And you somehow thought he'd just step out there on the field and play like he did in the 2007 season ? And I didn't even mention a very, very severe injury (actually a multiple injury), that many said might have ended his career.
I thought it was nothing short of remarkable that he was back out on the field so soon, as realistically I think many other players wouldn't have returned (if they had returned at all) under the circumstances, until the 2009 season.
I have nothing but praise to D-Rob for being back at it so soon. And most of all, I just hope they take it slow and gradual and think of the long-term for D-Robs & the Texans sake.

I expected him to play like a 3rd string NFL CB, and I didn't think that he did. The coaches told us he was ready, but I think mentally, he still has some hurdles to go through. He piled on by throwing his body around a lot at the end of plays, but otherwise seemed hesitant to me. Coming back from an injury like that takes both physical and mental rehab. You have to learn to trust your body again, and I didn't think Drob had that trust yet. And I would prefer him to get more than a short week of practice before being put into a vital role.

Like I said, I think he'll come around. But this is the NFL. Every game is meaningful. You put your best guys out there, and I don't see how the coaches could have thought that a rusty Dunta was better than Fred Bennett.

I want him back as much as the next guy. And I know game time experience will help speed that up. But at the same time, you can't put liabilities into important roles in my opinion. He had been back at practice and back to contact for a week. I think after waiting a year, another week or so of practice and maybe some special teams duty would have been smarter. We just got lucky it was the Lions and they weren't able to expose him.

Anyway, enough with the negativity. I think we can all agree that it was a breath of fresh air to see a Texan player actually make it through Rehab, and I think we can also all agree that it will be an exciting day when we see DRob lay the wood again. He was the hardest hitting member of our D, and I look forward to him regaining that title

J-Russ
10-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Defensively, the main change will be at cornerback where the Texans want to see Dunta Robinson to see about 30-35 plays on the field in the base and/or nickel. The Texans plan to utilize him more than last week and see how he does. They will also continue to split the amount of plays between DeMarcus Faggins and Fred Bennett right down the middle. Both players are still trying to prove they deserve to be on the field more than the other, but, right now, their play is still very even.

http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans/

Could we possibly see him starting by Minnesota or Baltimore?

The Pencil Neck
10-24-2008, 08:27 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans/

Could we possibly see him starting by Minnesota or Baltimore?

I believe so.