PDA

View Full Version : The Glass is Half Full of Kool-Aid

Kaiser Toro
10-13-2008, 08:48 AM
We are 1-4 through week 6, I was hoping before the season started that after week 6 we would have been 3-3. The team has not quit which to me says a lot about the make up of the team and the staff. Moreover, this team refuses to quit when they go down early in games as they did so in the dark years time after time. I was saying to myself on the last drive, why not us, when do we get a chance to feel some glory, when do the good guys finally get a break to go our way? As Schaub threw the interception on the last drive I flew out of my seat and was heading back to Austin contemplating how I would sell my tickets next year - I was on the edge.

But as I was going up the aisle in our weekly Texans death march to our cars, I stopped in anticipation of the call on the field due to the challenge - we got the call. At that moment I slipped back into reality and remembered it was 4th and 10 and could not see us securing the line to gain. Consequently, Andre Johnson did what he has rarely done for being such a great and talented WR, he went up and made a play that not only can change a game, but a season. As I watched us march down the field, pessimism filled my mind again that we could not close this out as to many good things were happening to us and then before we knew it was Fourth and a season with 7 seconds on the clock. I was beerless and the guy that I was sitting next to, in seats that were not my own, handed me a beer and said, "drink some Kool-aid." I took a swig and realized that we made our breaks on this drive, we showed composure and we had players who could make plays. Schaub went in for the score, game over. Texans win and time to move on to the Lions.

We have plenty of pimples and warts still, but in the last three weeks there are players that are stepping up, that are getting better and, dare I say it, are being used correctly (save for Weaver in on a tackle with a Safety 30 yards down the field, ughhh).

We have another big game next week. This is a game we are suppossed to win, which in itsef is a new kind of pressure. Maintain the home field advantage, beat the teams that we are supposed to and then beat the Titans and Jags at home.

This season is not in the tank. Just as quality teams are not perfect every night, we are up and coming team and we will not be perfect every game, we just need to be perfect enough to leave the field with a victory.

Mission accomplished, now go find someone who understands time, score and situation and have them next to Kubiak the entire game for the love of God. :texflag:

spurstexanstros
10-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Actually it is empty cause I freaking drank it all.... the mods are gonna get tired of this today but... wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes yes.......

GlassHalfFull
10-13-2008, 08:51 AM
You rang? :glasshalffull:

Scooter
10-13-2008, 08:56 AM
YES! :wild:

FirstTexansFan
10-13-2008, 09:12 AM
I wanna believe, truly do, and a nice posting KT. Can't help but love Kubiak, it's in my Aggie blood to support a fellow Alum, but with that said, I just can't help but feel pessimistic. I felt no joy in our win yesterday, and replayed the game on the DVR this morning to see if a second shot of "win" would cure it.

I saw Schaub throw two interceptions, the second one on him completely (I believe his arm was hit as he delivered on the first one). I saw our defense look totally inept in allowing a man to go free with no one on him for their first touchdown. I saw Kubiak satisfied to go into the half BEHIND with ample time on the clock to at least get in field goal position.

In the second half we did look better, but with the game in our hands, we again allow ourselves to be snakebit by a player not comprehending that by just intercepting the ball, and falling down, we give ourselves the best opportunity to win the game. Yes, for once lady luck gave us the win, but if not for two amazing 4th down plays, we're 0 - 5.

My gut and history tell me, we'll overlook either the Lions or the Bengals, giving a team we should beat a victory. The November schedule looks like a nail in the coffin to me.

I've never been a negative Nancy, and have been called out many times on these boards for being a blind kool-aid drinking Homer. But guys, I'm just not feeling a sense of a good team here, and fear the worst for our future.

HoustonFrog
10-13-2008, 09:15 AM
KT, very nice post but here is my problem. I hear local honks talking about 9-7 because of the easy schedule..I mean..Detroit, Raiders, Cincy. Well in my book this team has no easy wins and they could easily be 0-5 right now. So I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer but I don't get why people think the Texans are so much "better" than these teams when they have found ways to lose. Cheers.:). I'd drink heavily at 9-7

spurstexanstros
10-13-2008, 09:17 AM
KT, very nice post but here is my problem. I hear local honk talking about 9-7 because of the easy schedule..I mean..Detroit, Raiders, Cincy. Well in my book this team has no easy wins and they could easily be 0-5 right now. So I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer but I don't get why people think the Texans are so much "better" than these teams when they have found ways to lose. Cheers.:)

9-7 that is selling us short...as I have said adnauseum 10-6 till proven otherwise..speaking of ad nauseum wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Texans_Chick
10-13-2008, 09:21 AM
9-7 that is selling us short...as I have said adnauseum 10-6 till proven otherwise..speaking of ad nauseum wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Kool-aid thread? 12-4, here we go...woooooooohooooooo!!!!!!

TexansLucky13
10-13-2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.edinformatics.com/inventions_inventors/Kool-AidMan.jpg

Every game is a Texans win unless proven otherwise!!

Texan JBZ
10-13-2008, 09:23 AM
I wanna believe, truly do, and a nice posting KT. Can't help but love Kubiak, it's in my Aggie blood to support a fellow Alum, but with that said, I just can't help but feel pessimistic. I felt no joy in our win yesterday, and replayed the game on the DVR this morning to see if a second shot of "win" would cure it.

I saw Schaub throw two interceptions, the second one on him completely (I believe his arm was hit as he delivered on the first one). I saw our defense look totally inept in allowing a man to go free with no one on him for their first touchdown. I saw Kubiak satisfied to go into the half BEHIND with ample time on the clock to at least get in field goal position.

In the second half we did look better, but with the game in our hands, we again allow ourselves to be snakebit by a player not comprehending that by just intercepting the ball, and falling down, we give ourselves the best opportunity to win the game. Yes, for once lady luck gave us the win, but if not for two amazing 4th down plays, we're 0 - 5.

Did you continue to fast forward until the 59:57 mark in the game when Matt Schaub ran the ball in for the TD? Did you continue to fast forward further to the 60:00 minute mark in the game when it was over and the Texans won? Look, I could care less about the "if" not for two amazing 4th down plays, we're 0-5 quote. They made the plays and we're 1-4. You think Indy was worried about how Sage handed over the game over to them last week? You think they were worried about how bad they looked most of the game? You think the Jags were worried about how they won that game against the Texans two weeks ago? Hell no! All that matters is they won the game. That's all that matters in this league, wins and losses. Nobody cares how. That is, except for us Houston Texans fans! :fans:

Kaiser Toro
10-13-2008, 09:29 AM

My gut and history tell me, we'll overlook either the Lions or the Bengals, giving a team we should beat a victory. The November schedule looks like a nail in the coffin to me.

I've never been a negative Nancy, and have been called out many times on these boards for being a blind kool-aid drinking Homer. But guys, I'm just not feeling a sense of a good team here, and fear the worst for our future.

In my guarded optimism I believe no fan or player should be complacent. We are not good enough yet. But what we did yesterday was provide two snapshots of what we can do - we were down early once again and answered. Moreover, the players know that we can put together a 12 play drive with less than a minute and win the game.

By no means am I saying that we now have the secret sauce to get to the playoffs this year, but we do have the experience to warrant a belief that we have players that can get us to the finish line when are backs are against the wall. That belief is what makes a guy in the trenches stay more focused for their assignment, to give that extra effort to disrupt the pocket, to muster the legs to keep driving to the line to gain and a QB to make the right decision.

El Tejano
10-13-2008, 09:32 AM
I think for the most part, you have to look at this win and think about what the Texans did that they wouldn't have done in years past.

They made clutch time plays
They came back from behind twice.
They never quit.

This team wants to win and I'm sure we will do what we can now to make it happen these next two weeks.

FirstTexansFan
10-13-2008, 09:41 AM
In my guarded optimism I believe no fan or player should be complacent. We are not good enough yet. But what we did yesterday was provide two snapshots of what we can do - we were down early once again and answered. Moreover, the players know that we can put together a 12 play drive with less than a minute and win the game.

By no means am I saying that we now have the secret sauce to get to the playoffs this year, but we do have the experience to warrant a belief that we have players that can get us to the finish line when are backs are against the wall. That belief is what makes a guy in the trenches stay more focused for their assignment, to give that extra effort to disrupt the pocket, to muster the legs to keep driving to the one to gain and a QB to make the right decision.

You know me bro, it doesn't take much to get me excited about my team. And I've posted on these boards on several occasions that I detest coming here to read negative postings, (living in Cowboy country makes ya hunger for positive things to be said) about the Texans. Maybe too many years of seeing them fail has finally drove me to the dark side, or maybe I'm finally getting a bit of football knowledge (reading the postings here can educate even a dumb guy like me).

While I agree they are showing what potential they are capable of, that little voice in my head tells me, we're poorly coached, ill prepared, and oblivious to situational awareness. I see overpaid professional athletes making mistakes unpaid high school players wouldn't make.

Reading positive things being said by both you and other veteran posters makes me wanna drink some Kool Aid as well, but for now, I'm going to take a wait and see attitude.

Thorn
10-13-2008, 09:47 AM
The last three games have shown me the Texans can win football games. To bad they only have one win so far, but there'll be more wins this year. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Texans are NOT bottom feeders in the NFL, they belong in about the middle of the pack and are not a play off team just yet.

gtexan02
10-13-2008, 09:56 AM
I love how we dominate every aspect of the game last week and then 1 player gives away the game, and everyone gets mad when we say "We could have been 1-3"

But then we win this game, legitimately, and pepole are saying we should be 0-5.

What?

spurstexanstros
10-13-2008, 10:00 AM
http://www.edinformatics.com/inventions_inventors/Kool-AidMan.jpg

best post erver???????

HoustonFrog
10-13-2008, 10:03 AM
I love how we dominate every aspect of the game last week and then 1 player gives away the game, and everyone gets mad when we say "We could have been 1-3"

But then we win this game, legitimately, and pepole are saying we should be 0-5.

What?

I never said it like that..if my comment about 0-5 was causing this response. My point was that no win is an easy win for this team. They can't exactly look down on anyone.

Seņor Stan
10-13-2008, 10:13 AM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/senorstan/battleredkoolaid.jpg

Fixed it for you

Scooter
10-13-2008, 10:14 AM
no, but i dont believe for a second that we're looking up at anyone either. there are teams that we dont match up well against but i havent seen any quit from the texans. mario and demeco missing crucial wide open tackles, AJ fumbling in the redzone, the legend of rosencopter (i still laugh everytime i see that word lol) ... this season's full of suprises and downright flukes and we're not even a third of the way done. despite murphy's law we're still improving and playing hard and competing and even just got a win regardless. we are a good team and will be a great team.

TexansLucky13
10-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Fixed it for you

Gracias!!

:tiphat:

ObsiWan
10-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Fixed it for you

Very nice!

oh and update Mario's stats:)
Year-to-date:
20 tackles/ 15 solo & 5 assists/ 6 sacks/ 2 forced fumbles

TexansLucky13
10-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Very nice!

oh and update Mario's stats:)
Year-to-date:
20 tackles/ 15 solo & 5 assists/ 6 sacks/ 2 forced fumbles

Don't forget he also collected 3 of these....

http://www.potozniak.org/pics/1up.jpg

Jackie Chiles
10-13-2008, 11:51 AM
I think Kubiak stated it perfectly in the post-game presser that we are making a lot of mistakes but we are doing some incredible things as well.

On offense exhibit A would be the play of Schaub and Andre for obvious reasons.

But I have been even more excited about what i've seen from the D. First, the bad: we give up a huuuuge play early to the wildcat on a busted coverage. Then we give up a huge screen to the same RB. But, I cannot for the life of me remember when we have been so good on third downs over the course of two games as we have been. Also I think we have been bringing legitimate heat on the opposing QB for 3 weeks now even though the only guys showing up in the sack stat sheet is Mario. Lastly we really clamped down on the run the last three weeks(for those of you who say not against Jacksonville look at the numbers our D gave up not our ST on the fake).

Even after that heart breaker in Indy I was extremely excited to get to this game. During the game this team gave me the usual frustrations and madness but in the end they pulled it out and hopefully got that monkey off their back. Well, this season's monkey at least, gonna need to make the playoffs or win a playoff game to get this franchise's monkey off our back.

Anyway what i'm saying is we are doing some things that I haven't seen in a long time and making progress every week. If we can keep ironing out the mistakes and building every week it should be a nice ride to watch. Not saying we will make the playoffs or even have a winning record but I can't wait till next week.

Kaiser Toro
10-13-2008, 01:34 PM
With 11 games to play we are two games out of a wild card spot. How is that for Kool-aid with a slice of reality. :)

No team plays perfect every drive, quarter, half or game. Being realistic goes both ways.

jerek
10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
The commentators mentioned at one point that we were the "best 0-4" team in the NFL. While many of the other 0'fers were on the way down and toward rebuilding, it felt like we were "on the way up."

When you consider that we were coming off of two very close losses to two good opponents (Jax and Indy) yet we lost in large part due to boneheaded mistakes, I go back and forth on believing in that sentiment. But I think, in large part, it's true.

We are putting a lot of the pieces in place. We still need to learn to close out games, but as KT said so well, in spite of our multiple gaffes, yesterday was a big step in that direction.

My wife walked by me yesterday with a minute and change to play and asked "how are they doing." I told her, "they've lost," yet I held out some small sliver of hope that they might actually put it together. Like someone here said, "why not us?" I was surprised and elated to watch AJ make that amazing catch, Walter come up with big yards, and Schaub run it in for the winning score on the very last snap of the game.

This is the stuff that winning football teams are made of--just as Manning and the Colts found a way to overcome their late deficit and beat us last week. We might one day look back on this game as a major corner we turned.