PDA

View Full Version : It is official MARIO WILLIAMS not a bust

spurstexanstros
10-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Mario Williams... again and again he made plays..... guy is awesome. we need the rest of the d to step up like him. I was impressed by bulman.. play him instead of weaver.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-12-2008, 03:44 PM
But Mario didn't have 20 sacks and 40 QB hurries today? That makes him inconsistent at best. :)

RazorOye
10-12-2008, 03:45 PM
when and where was the last time he was labeled a "bust"?

Was this recent? Did I miss it?

Leahmic223
10-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Tim Bulman...I like this guy.

I've seen him in two plays and both plays he hit the QB...

TheRealJoker
10-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Mario Williams is the face of this franchise. Hopefully his story thus far mirrors the rest of our season.

Beaten down and counted out early in his career only to rise above the adversity and become the premier DE in the NFL.

Just replace DE with team and hopefully that's how the rest of our season goes on our improbable playoff run!!! Damn it feels good to win!!!

Showtime100
10-12-2008, 03:49 PM
But Mario didn't have 20 sacks and 40 QB hurries today? That makes him inconsistent at best. :)

That you Skip? kidding.

That sack he had (or at least contributed to) was huge after the running into the kicker penalty. Wow. It's Sunday afternoon and I feel great.

Mailman
10-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I read the thread title and thought the body of your post would simply say

Signed,

2007 season

brakos82
10-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Just replace DE with team and hopefully that's how the rest of our season goes on our improbable playoff run!!! Damn it feels good to win!!!

Admit it, you just want to get laid... :user:

mattieuk
10-12-2008, 04:26 PM

We just need blanket coverage from ESPN on Mario now and I think it he's officially not a bust.

So, never then.

RazorOye
10-12-2008, 04:55 PM
We just need blanket coverage from ESPN on Mario now and I think it he's officially not a bust.

So, never then.

huh? that's gotta be sarcasm, right?

When was the last time anyone at ESPN said he was a bust?

You sound paranoid

This is so 2006.

I remember ESPN talking about how he was among the biggest 'snubs' for the Pro Bowl (e.g. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3160443)

Twenty months ago, on the evening in which the Houston Texans chose defensive end Mario Williams over tailback Reggie Bush with the first overall selection in the 2006 draft, I suggested the franchise should think about turning over such critical decisions to Mr. Magoo, who might actually demonstrate a little more foresight.

But on Tuesday night, with the taste of crow still fresh on my palate, I find myself wondering just who in the league, and in the voting public, are really the most nearsighted. Because during a year in which Blooper Mario has transformed into Super Mario, collecting the second-most sacks (13) in the league, the Texans' second-year end ranks among the most notable Pro Bowl oversights.

Mario is getting props - not sure where the "Mario is a bust" talk is coming from :shrug:

PapaL
10-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Tim Bulman...I like this guy.

I've seen him in two plays and both plays he hit the QB...

I agree! I like the guys who fight every play. No need to have an eye out for Bulman because when he's on the field, he's in on the play.

b0ng
10-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Anybody saying Williams is a bust is pretty much not worth listening to anyway. He's been in QB's faces too much this season to think that he's not a big presence on the field.

jlam
10-12-2008, 05:25 PM
huh? that's gotta be sarcasm, right?

When was the last time anyone at ESPN said he was a bust?

You sound paranoid

This is so 2006.

I remember ESPN talking about how he was among the biggest 'snubs' for the Pro Bowl (e.g. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3160443)

Mario is getting props - not sure where the "Mario is a bust" talk is coming from :shrug:

No respeck. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

RazorOye
10-12-2008, 05:26 PM
No respeck. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

is this the same jlam as sr?

jlam
10-12-2008, 05:31 PM
is this the same jlam as sr?

:covri:

Sideline
10-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Another 2 today....fantastic, at this rate he is staring down at another 22. haha.

Hookem Horns
10-12-2008, 09:25 PM
I think it's pretty clear now that Mario was the best pick of the 2006 draft. VY has lost the respect of his team mates and has flaked out. He may never play another down in Nashville. I think it safe to say now that Reggie Bush is not going to be a top NFL running back. D'Brick has not lived up to his billing in NY. Leinhart is riding the bench in Arizona.

I think some Texans fans are still sensitive to this because of all the ridicule the team and fans took after the draft. Believe me, living in Austin it was getting unbearable.

Mario has 6 sacks on the season, is dominating and VY is riding the pine and questioning life. There is some joy to be had in that.

Mailman
10-12-2008, 09:28 PM
I think it's pretty clear now that Mario was the best pick of the 2006 draft. VY has lost the respect of his team mates and has flaked out. He may never play another down in Nashville. I think it safe to say now that Reggie Bush is not going to be a top NFL running back. D'Brick has not lived up to his billing in NY. Leinhart is riding the bench in Arizona.

I think some Texans fans are still sensitive to this because of all the ridicule the team and fans took after the draft. Believe me, living in Austin it was getting unbearable.

Mario has 6 sacks on the season, is dominating and VY is riding the pine and questioning life. There is some joy to be had in that.

Taking off my homer glasses for a moment.....one can make a very strong case for Jay Cutler.

Wolf
10-12-2008, 09:32 PM
no telling where this defense would be without Mario

He has 6 of the Texans 7 sacks so far this season

last season 14 of the 31 that we collected

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/hou/stats?year=season_2007

b0ng
10-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Taking off my homer glasses for a moment.....one can make a very strong case for Jay Cutler.

Correct. I'd have to say Cutler was probably the best player in that draft so far.

Hookem Horns
10-12-2008, 09:52 PM

I remember a lot of Titans fans wanting them to draft the hometown guy in Cutler. It's got to be killing them that Bud opted for VY for the main reason to stick it to Houston. Just think how the outlook of the Titans would be if they had Cutler along with that defense.

That being said I wouldn't take Cutler over Mario. He might turn out to be great and is showing promise however he could still turn out to be just a quality NFL starter.

He had a subpar game today in their loss to Jax.

Mario on the other hand is a freak and is only going to get better as the team and defense improves. Maybe I am just a fan of defense but I think I would take a Hall of Fame dominate DE over a QB.

spurstexanstros
10-13-2008, 08:55 AM

All you have to do is troll the sites looking for the we should drafted vince threads and Mario sucks threads around her and other places... this thread was for them...and to give Mario props.

Texans_Chick
10-13-2008, 09:30 AM
I remember a lot of Titans fans wanting them to draft the hometown guy in Cutler. It's got to be killing them that Bud opted for VY for the main reason to stick it to Houston. Just think how the outlook of the Titans would be if they had Cutler along with that defense.

That being said I wouldn't take Cutler over Mario. He might turn out to be great and is showing promise however he could still turn out to be just a quality NFL starter.

He had a subpar game today in their loss to Jax.

Mario on the other hand is a freak and is only going to get better as the team and defense improves. Maybe I am just a fan of defense but I think I would take a Hall of Fame dominate DE over a QB.

Cutler could never succeed as a Texan. If the Texans drafted Cutler over VY, even in some sort of trade down scenario, the fanbase would have lost its freaking mind more than it already did over the Mario pick.

HOU-TEX
10-13-2008, 09:33 AM
To me it was 'official' about 1 1/2 years ago. The guy was a beast, is still a beast and will always be a beast. :cool:

TexansLucky13
10-13-2008, 09:46 AM
It was official for me when I went to training camp the year after he was drafted. Just looking at him I could see that he was going to be a beast. If I were an offensive lineman or QB I would have nightmares about him.

mexican_texan
10-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Oh, thank God. I was worried he was a bust.

ObsiWan
10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Correct. I'd have to say Cutler was probably the best player in that draft so far.

Cutler is no doubt the best QB in the 06 draft, but award for the best player of the 2006 draft goes to (the envelope please)
....Vince Young!!

pardon me.... ...what...?
Oh, sorry. Excuse me...
That was the award for the Most OVER-RATED Player of the 2006 draft.

The award for the BEST Player of the 2006 draft goes to.....
...ladies & gentlemen, we have a TIE!
The co-winners are:
Mario Williams and Maurice Jones-Drew!!
Seriously, both of these guys have made a huge impact to their teams. Mario is the Texans' pass rush. MJD gave new life to the Jags rushing attack and extended Fred Taylor's career by at least two years.
Cutler is just now coming into his own. Mario & MJD have been producing since they first put on their respective pro uni's.

b0ng
10-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Seriously, both of these guys have made a huge impact to their teams. Mario is the Texans' pass rush. MJD gave new life to the Jags rushing attack and extended Fred Taylor's career by at least two years.
Cutler is just now coming into his own. Mario & MJD have been producing since they first put on their respective pro uni's.

Counter-point: MJD hasn't been nearly as effective this year as he was his first two years.

If not Williams or Cutler, I'd have to say Antonio Cromartie made a nice case for himself. And Marques Colston holy crap.

Hooston Texan
10-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Cutler is no doubt the best QB in the 06 draft, but award for the best player of the 2006 draft goes to (the envelope please)
....Vince Young!!

pardon me.... ...what...?
Oh, sorry. Excuse me...
That was the award for the Most OVER-RATED Player of the 2006 draft.

The award for the BEST Player of the 2006 draft goes to.....
...ladies & gentlemen, we have a TIE!
The co-winners are:

On the subject of the best picks of the 2006 draft, I think I hear these comments:

Hey, guys, what about me?
--DeMeco Ryans (2nd round, 2006)

Or me?
--Owen Daniels (4th round, 2006)

Maybe even me?
--Eric Winston (3rd round, 2006)

mexican_texan
10-13-2008, 01:38 PM
On the subject of the best picks of the 2006 draft, I think I hear these comments:

Or me?

Maybe even me?
David Anderson wasn't a bad pick.

HoustonFrog
10-13-2008, 01:53 PM
It seems to me that the Mario, Bush and Cutler picks are all starting to pay their dividends.....VY?........errrrrrrr.

jlam
10-13-2008, 04:57 PM
And Marques Colston holy crap.

Proof positive that blind mother****ing luck >>>>> all when it comes to the NFL draft.

austintexanite
10-13-2008, 05:34 PM

Sadly, I know where you are coming from. A lot of fellow Austinites need to get over the '06 draft.

ObsiWan
10-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Counter-point: MJD hasn't been nearly as effective this year as he was his first two years.

If not Williams or Cutler, I'd have to say Antonio Cromartie made a nice case for himself. And Marques Colston holy crap.

I won't say that Colston or Cromartie aren't worthy of discussion. Heck, if Colston could just stay healthy, there probably would be a 3-way tie.
But I think Mario and MJD have the edge.
Think of what our pass rush would be like if there's no Mario <shudder>.
And I'd be willing to bet that Jacksonville doesn't make the playoffs last year without MJD in the mix. And ask the Broncos if MJD is less effective than last season.

Cromartie had the benefit of being surrounded by playoff caliber teammates. So, while he plays great for sure, what would he be doing if he were here? OTOH, Colston would look absolutely great opposite AJ (I drool just thinking about it), but he wouldn't make quite the impact on our offense that Mario has on our defense.

I stand by my selections.
:)

powerfuldragon
10-13-2008, 06:06 PM
we need a bulman appreciation thread. boy was shoving the dolphins's fatmen backwards all game.

The1ApplePie
10-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Mario rules! (comming from a known Reggie fan)

I'm still not sure how the man passes steroids tests though. I think the man is a natural talent but he is getting 1980s era Raiders D-Lineman arms now.

wolf123
10-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Texans definatly had the best draft and thats all that matters!!:whip:

ObsiWan
10-13-2008, 11:08 PM

I'm still not sure how the man passes steroids tests though. I think the man is a natural talent but he is getting 1980s era Raiders D-Lineman arms now.

"its best not to burden yourself with the secrets of scary people"
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjA1NDIzMzc4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTYxMTI3._V1._ SX485_SY323_.jpg

kcdoubleeagle
10-14-2008, 06:35 AM

steroids are a reality in the NFL....i think we all know that....sure hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings with that statement....:texansam:

Scooter
10-14-2008, 06:54 AM
edit

BigBull17
10-14-2008, 07:07 AM
It seems to me that the Mario, Bush and Cutler picks are all starting to pay their dividends.....VY?........errrrrrrr.

Thank god the Titans drafted His Majesty Vince instead of Cutler, or they could be really freakin good. er, better

Malloy
10-14-2008, 07:16 AM

Or me?

Maybe even me?

Sometimes I forget how many awesome players we got that year, both through the draft, trades and FA. It also reminds me how many sub-par players we carried around back then. We have clearly progressed :)

Malloy
10-14-2008, 07:20 AM

I agree, I wonder if it is mental (the whole 'crisis' a few weeks back suggest it), why VY has been continually regressing as a NFL QB. Mental problem, horrible coaching (that is, utilizing VYs strengths), or playcalling? I have no idea, but one thing I will say, I would be alot more scared seeing VY Wildcatting that Pennington.

Malloy
10-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Thank god the Titans drafted His Majesty Vince instead of Cutler, or they could be really freakin good. er, better

BETTER than really freaking good...? Now thats scary :)

Scooter
10-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Sometimes I forget how many awesome players we got that year, both through the draft, trades and FA. It also reminds me how many sub-par players we carried around back then. We have clearly progressed :)

progression - http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2120&type=team ... love it or hate it, kubiak has drafted incredibly. what's especially hard to swallow is the amount of salaries that kubiak's successfully dumped and worked around during his 2.3 seasons.

i whole heartedly believe that if charles spencer's career hadnt been ruined, the texans' 06 draft would be mentioned with the 74 steelers when all is said and done. franchise left and right tackles, a 9 time probowler at MLB, and the best DE of the era from one draft. i'm a fan of dayne but damn. oh, and david anderson WILL be an impact when he breaks a starting lineup ... i'm afraid it wont be as a texan though. for being the worst draft ever, this may have been one of the best drafts ever. i dont think anyone has done more in one year than kubiak, malloy's right on that we dumped an excessive amount of sub-par players and replaced them with a one year turnaround.

Malloy
10-14-2008, 07:55 AM
progression - http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2120&type=team ... love it or hate it, kubiak has drafted incredibly. what's especially hard to swallow is the amount of salaries that kubiak's successfully dumped and worked around during his 2.3 seasons.

Oh dear, I just looked at the 05 draft and felt sick. Short of TJ (and I guess the jury is still out on him, whether he was worthy of the first round pick), the only player here that showed a little bit of heart and potential is Morency.

I need a drink now... :)

El Tejano
10-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Oh dear, I just looked at the 05 draft and felt sick. Short of TJ (and I guess the jury is still out on him, whether he was worthy of the first round pick), the only player here that showed a little bit of heart and potential is Morency.

I need a drink now... :)

And the only one that did anything was Jerome Mathis but where is he now.

Malloy
10-14-2008, 08:46 AM
And the only one that did anything was Jerome Mathis but where is he now.

I thought about Mathis.... and got sad.

More drinkie!

BigBull17
10-14-2008, 11:15 AM
BETTER than really freaking good...? Now thats scary :)

I hate em, but they are already freakin good. It would just be scary.

Ole Miss Texan
10-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Well after 6 weeks of play, Mario Williams leads all AFC Defensive Ends in Sacks with 6. And that's through 5 games. He has the highest sack/game percentage in the entire NFL. He's on pace for 19 sacks this season and would put him at 37.5 sacks for his 3 year career. Simply incredible.

Ole Miss Texan
11-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Well through week 11, Mario is still leading all AFC Defensive Ends in Sacks (8). :mario:

cowbellm00
11-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Mario Williams... again and again he made plays..... guy is awesome. we need the rest of the d to step up like him. I was impressed by bulman.. play him instead of weaver.

True he's not a bust, but the rest of the D-Line is.

El Tejano
11-18-2008, 02:23 PM
True he's not a bust, but the rest of the D-Line is.

Hey,

Were trying!!!

Signed,

Tim Bullman and DelJuan Robinson

BigBull17
11-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Hey,

Were trying!!!

Signed,

Tim Bullman and DelJuan Robinson

Cochran is also playing ok. Those three are doing all they can, but they are undrafted FA. They just arent that talented. Bullman had Manning dead to rites but got a rear naked choke from Ugoh.