PDA

View Full Version : Schaub has heart

TheRealJoker
10-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Say what you want about whether you think he's the long term answer or not as the QB for this football team. I've been as big of a critic of Schaub this season as anyone but that final drive just proved he's got the heart to play quarterback for the Houston Texans.

Lets hope this is a major confidence booster for our starting QB and we can ride the momentum of this win on an improbable run to the playoffs!!! :texflag:

edo783
10-12-2008, 04:35 PM
He has heart.....the rest of us had a heart attack!

Brando
10-12-2008, 04:37 PM
I love the way he didn't give up and brought us back. Big difference between this week and last week. :thinking: :kingkong:

bah007
10-12-2008, 04:39 PM
I was kind of hoping that he would go airborne over the goal line on the QB draw...

HJam72
10-12-2008, 04:39 PM
I'll tell you what it proves. It proves that AJ is a beast, that Walter is a pretty darn good receiver, and that Schaub, Carr, whoever can run a short TD up the middle with no LB coverage. If that QB sneak was a called play by Kubiak, then I have to give him credit for that. If not, I have to give Schaub credit for doing exactly what even Carr could've done very well.

grinch1134
10-12-2008, 04:41 PM
I'll tell you what it proves. It proves that AJ is a beast, that Walter is a pretty darn good receiver, and that Schaub, Carr, whoever can run a short TD up the middle with no LB coverage. If that QB sneak was a called play by Kubiak, then I have to give him credit for that. If not, I have to give Schaub credit for doing exactly what even Carr could've done very well.

Yep and I guess you would say that Carr could've made AJ and Walter look like beasts.

J-Russ
10-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Carr would've led this team to a 38-14 rout. Schaub put us in position to win the whole game, and he finish it off by giving us the win.

HJam72
10-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Yep and I guess you would say that Carr could've made AJ and Walter look like beasts.

Nope, just the goal-line run part. Not saying he could pass....at all.

TheRealJoker
10-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Carr would've been in a funk after throwing 2 INTs to open the game. Schaub got in a hole and worked himself out of it because he's got HEART.

You can say what you want about him as the long term answer for this team on one of the many other threads floating around. This thread is to give kudos to his greatest asset, his mental toughness and intestinal fortitude. He's got the heart to be our QB, but does he have the talent? We've got 11 more games to find out.

HJam72
Carr would've led this team to a 38-14 rout. Schaub put us in position to win the whole game, and he finish it off by giving us the win.

Yes, Carr would've, but AJ put us in that position....not Schaub. Not really.

grinch1134
Nope, just the goal-line run part. Not saying he could pass....at all.

Then why bring him up we just one a game with Schaub at QB.
:fans:

ziggy29
10-12-2008, 04:46 PM
I was kind of hoping that he would go airborne over the goal line on the QB draw...
Just so long as he didn't start helicoptering in...

mussop
10-12-2008, 04:46 PM
I love the way he didn't give up and brought us back. Big difference between this week and last week. :thinking: :kingkong:

You think Sage gave up?

HJam72
10-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Then why bring him up we just one a game with Schaub at QB.
:fans:
It was just a comment about how good even Carr was AT THAT ONE THING. That's all. I didn't expect to have to post 12 times to explain it.

Malloy
Say what you want about whether you think he's the long term answer or not as the QB for this football team. I've been as big of a critic of Schaub this season as anyone but that final drive just proved he's got the heart to play quarterback for the Houston Texans.

Lets hope this is a major confidence booster for our starting QB and we can ride the momentum of this win on an improbable run to the playoffs!!! :texflag:

I agree completely. Sage has it too, but he came up short last week. No, I'm not talking controversy here, I'm just happy that we have two QBs with heart :)

ATXtexanfan
Schaub has heart, lol, seriously, look at his stats, we won 1 game, he tried to lose this one in the 1st qtr. He sucks, two picks in the 1st qtr. How many td's to picks so far. What did we trade to get him?

Brando
10-12-2008, 04:48 PM
You think Sage gave up?

Nope, just different outcomes. We won this week and lost last week. Simple stuff my friend.:)

Still excited!!!!!!

J-Russ
10-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Carr would've been in a funk after throwing 2 INTs to open the game. Schaub got in a hole and worked himself out of it because he's got HEART.

Yep. Never let those INT faze his game. He just kept going back out there and working with confidence, he always had confidence in his WR and O-line, no matter how many time he got hit, sacked, or when his WR drop the balls.

TheRealJoker
10-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Schaub has heart, lol, seriously, look at his stats, we won 1 game, he tried to lose this one in the 1st qtr. He sucks, two picks in the 1st qtr. How many td's to picks so far. What did we trade to get him?

Yes, he also had 300 + yards w/ 3 tds and 0 picks against the Jags.

We lost that game but won this game. I dont care if he throws more picks than TDs so long as he gets it together and wins the game at the end.

ATXtexanfan
10-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Wow, schaub outplayed ronnie brown. Memo to all, schaub still sucks

Hardcore Texan
10-12-2008, 04:52 PM

I totally disagree. Not everything is going to go great all the time, he hung tough under duress and made some great plays. I don't think he was 100% phsically either. He's still a young semi-experienced QB, I think he turned a corner today. I think he has great rest of the year.

Schaub won the game today after bouncing back from the shaky start.

Stemp
10-12-2008, 04:53 PM
4 Games played
5 TDs
7 INT.
1079 pass yards.
61.1% completion percentage.
269.75 yards per game.

The Pencil Neck
10-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Yes, Carr would've, but AJ put us in that position....not Schaub. Not really.

That's bull. Schaub made a lot of great throws in this game. AJ made some great catches but he also had that fumble. They both made mistakes and they both had great games.

ziggy29
10-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Would you prefer a guy who sucks in the 1st quarter and comes back to finish strong and WIN or a guy who plays three solid quarters of football, becomes unglued and melts down in the 4th to turn a sure-thing win into a loss?

Brando
10-12-2008, 04:59 PM
That's bull. Schaub made a lot of great throws in this game. AJ made some great catches but he also had that fumble. They both made mistakes and they both had great games.

Exactly, they both redeemed themselves.

ATXtexanfan
10-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Yes, he also had 300 + yards w/ 3 tds and 0 picks against the Jags.

We lost that game but won this game. I dont care if he throws more picks than TDs so long as he gets it together and wins the game at the end.
Beating the jags and beating ronnie brown at qb is 2 totallty different things, do you really believe in schaub, gerrard beat us on a draw as well, dolphins had the first pick last year, pennington showed up yesterday, we needed a miracle to beat MIAMI. Schaub sucks, tell me when he out duels a pro qb. I'll take the win but with a top 5 pick do we take a qb?

HJam72
Schaub is lucky he didn't have 5 Ints. in this game, including the last one that AJ caught. Yes, he moves the ball, but he throws into coverage WAY too much. I do have to give him the sickly issue. He's lost weight and all that.

We won this game because Houston has a big Johnson, lol.

Look, I'm glad we won the game and he scored and all that, and I'm NOT calling to start Rosencopter, but I don't give this win to Schaub.

J-Russ
Exactly, they both redeemed themselves.

You were saving that avatar for this type of occasion weren't you?

Nicely done.

Brando
10-12-2008, 05:01 PM
You were saving that avatar for this type of occasion weren't you?

Nicely done.

Yep!:texflag:

ziggy29
10-12-2008, 05:02 PM

You can make the big, game-saving plays when you use your Big Johnson!

Stemp
10-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Schaub is lucky he didn't have 5 Ints. in this game, including the last one that AJ caught. Yes, he moves the ball, but he throws into coverage WAY too much. I do have to give him the sickly issue. He's lost weight and all that.

And Miami is lucky that AJ couldn't hold on the ball on that reception in the red zone and that our LB doesn't know how to hold on the ball when running back an INT. They are also lucky their best LB was going against our rookie LT who cuased another turnover.

My point is, it works both ways.

TheRealJoker
10-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Beating the jags and beating ronnie brown at qb is 2 totallty different things, do you really believe in schaub, gerrard beat us on a draw as well, dolphins had the first pick last year, pennington showed up yesterday, we needed a miracle to beat MIAMI. Schaub sucks, tell me when he out duels a pro qb. I'll take the win but with a top 5 pick do we take a qb?

The Dolphins were the flavor of the week this past week due to their upsets over last year's AFC championship participants. The way they've played the last 3 games a game against the Jags would be a pickem with a slight edge to the Fins since they are playing better football right now. This isn't last year's Dolphins.

Pennington has accomplished more in his career than Garrard so the comparison in QBs is kind of a moot point.

ATXtexanfan
10-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Would you prefer a guy who sucks in the 1st quarter and comes back to finish strong and WIN or a guy who plays three solid quarters of football, becomes unglued and melts down in the 4th to turn a sure-thing win into a loss?
How many picks did ronnie brown have today? Schaub outplayed a running back at qb. Big deal. Tell me when he wins a game that vegas puts him at an under dog.

Silver Oak
10-12-2008, 05:09 PM

post game interview, Schaub said the draw was the play from the sidelines, but if it wasn't there, some pass options were there as well.

good play call and good execution.

HJam72
10-12-2008, 05:11 PM
post game interview, Schaub said the draw was the play from the sidelines, but if it wasn't there, some pass options were there as well.

good play call and good execution.

Thanx for the info. I was too busy running around punching the air to see it. :splits:

ATXtexanfan
10-12-2008, 05:12 PM
The Dolphins were the flavor of the week this past week due to their upsets over last year's AFC championship participants. The way they've played the last 3 games a game against the Jags would be a pickem with a slight edge to the Fins since they are playing better football right now. This isn't last year's Dolphins.

Pennington has accomplished more in his career than Garrard so the comparison in QBs is kind of a moot point.

Pennington lined up WR tells you where his career is

Scooter
10-12-2008, 05:15 PM

ronnie brown at qb? oh you mean when they used a trick formation to beat the AFC champs and then san diego ... those crappy bastards. do you remember what happened the last time we played pennington?

be honest, you lost money because of this game didnt you.

Leahmic223
10-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I actually think if Jacoby never returns the punt the team rolls over for the loss.

I think that pumped up the team after it looked like the Fins would just roll to a win.

LonerATO
10-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Finally after all this time Kubes makes some great play calls and for some reason Matt stepped up and ran with it

ATXtexanfan
10-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I actually think if Jacoby never returns the punt the team rolls over for the loss.

I think that pumped up the team after it looked like the Fins would just roll to a win.
Bingo

Goldensilence
10-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Guys seriously. We won a game at least give it a bit to celebrate a hard earned victory after the way it's gone the past two weeks. I got to ask why oh why after a win you could possibly mention the name David Carr? The two things have never been synonomus. Get over it.

mussop
10-12-2008, 05:43 PM
ronnie brown at qb? oh you mean when they used a trick formation to beat the AFC champs and then san diego ... those crappy bastards. do you remember what happened the last time we played pennington?

be honest, you lost money because of this game didnt you.

Without Brady the Pats arent the same team and the Chargers havent played defense all year but hey I know it makes youre argument look better so roll with it.

mussop
10-12-2008, 05:49 PM

If Miami had intercepted all the passes taht hit them in the hands schaub would have sucked the whole game. If you consider throwing a pass right into a defendars hands onky to have youre WR make a great take away catch finishing strong well then there you go.

Malloy
10-12-2008, 05:52 PM

Damn you HJam, now I've got food all over the screen! :)

eriadoc
10-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but our last QB had tons of heart at one time. That's not enough. I want a QB who continually makes good decisions and doesn't throw into double and triple coverage all the time. I want a QB that sees the lurking defender just waiting to make an INT. I'd like to have a QB that can throw the ball 35 yards with some real zip.

The win is nice, but player evaluation can occur independent of wins and losses.

nunusguy
10-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Schaub & AJ were great in the clutch today. Has to be a real morale builder.
Right after Pittsburg, I didn't think we had any talent, now I think we do and
wonder how good we might be when we can eliminate these mistakes ?
But Matt made his mistakes, but on the other hand winning with that drive at the end of the game and scoring the TD himself was truly Elway-esque.
Gotta be huge for his confidance.

eriadoc
10-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Schaub & AJ were great in the clutch today. Has to be a real morale builder.
Right after Pittsburg, I didn't think we had any talent, now I think we do and
wonder how good we might be when we can eliminate these mistakes ?
But Matt made his mistakes, but on the other hand winning with that drive at the end of the game and scoring the TD himself was truly Elway-esque.
Gotta be huge for his confidance.

As I've pointed out several times, Kubiak can run an offense as well as anyone in the NFL This team put up over 5k yards last year, which is amazing when you consider what all went on, who went down, etc. I have no doubt that we have enough offensive talent and we have a great offensive mind in Kubiak.

Turnovers killed us last year and they're the biggest reason we're a 1-win team right now. People like to say we're better than our record and that might be true, unless you factor in talent at protecting the ball.

Texanfan4ever
10-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but our last QB had tons of heart at one time. That's not enough. I want a QB who continually makes good decisions and doesn't throw into double and triple coverage all the time. I want a QB that sees the lurking defender just waiting to make an INT. I'd like to have a QB that can throw the ball 35 yards with some real zip.

The win is nice, but player evaluation can occur independent of wins and losses.

Schaub as far as starting QB's go, is still a rookie. How many total games has he started in hhis lifetime? Anyone have that statistic?

Polo
10-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Matt Schaub isn't a rookie...

He hasn't started a whole lot of games, but he has been in the NFL too long for that rookie talk IMHO...

The Pencil Neck
10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Schaub as far as starting QB's go, is still a rookie. How many total games has he started in hhis lifetime? Anyone have that statistic?

He's 5-12 as a starter.

Texanfan4ever
10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm talking about games where he has actually BEEN the starter. Not when he was a backup. That doesn't carry that responsibility. Not rookie in the true sensse, but rookie as far as the responsibility of carrying your team.

Hooston Texan
10-14-2008, 02:13 PM

Would you consider either Drew Brees or Jake Delhomme to be a "pro QB"? If not, I'm not sure what to say.

As for the defense Schaub was playing against, check out what Philip Rivers managed against the Dolphins the previous week. His lifetime record as an NFL starter is 30-12 (if one believes such a stat tells the story), and Miami stoned him.

Hooston Texan
10-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm talking about games where he has actually BEEN the starter. Not when he was a backup. That doesn't carry that responsibility. Not rookie in the true sensse, but rookie as far as the responsibility of carrying your team.

The Texans' record in games he started is, to date, 5-10. In two of those ten losses (both Titan games last year), he was knocked out early with the game well in doubt. If he was a pitcher, Schaub would have gotten a no-decision in those two games. In the other game where he was KO'd (San Diego), we were trailing 28-3, so that loss belongs on his ledger by any metric.

So, if you follow baseball rules, Schaub's record as a Texan is 5-8. If you count both Tennessee losses against him, it is 5-10. Schaub lost both his starts with the Falcons.

alphajoker
10-14-2008, 03:29 PM

Oh, no!!! Reliant Stadium should be declared a no fly zone for home team QB's.

Double Barrel
10-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I was happy to see Schaub fighting until the end. In spite of some bad decisions early in the game, in spite of lots of hometown booing, in spite of the crowd chanting "we want Sage", he still persevered and won the game.

While not an 'elite' QB at this point, it is good to know that there is fight left in that dog. Every QB, even the great ones, has bad games. What defines them is how they overcome and stay focussed. I can't complain about MS after a win and after connecting with no. 80 for 178 yards. I just can't ***** about it right now.

Mailman
10-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I want a QB who continually makes good decisions and doesn't throw into double and triple coverage all the time. I want a QB that sees the lurking defender just waiting to make an INT.

This is almost a word-for-word criticism many Giants fans have directed at Eli Manning.

Mailman
10-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Matt Schaub isn't a rookie...

He hasn't started a whole lot of games, but he has been in the NFL too long for that rookie talk IMHO...

You raise a good point. One major reason the Texans traded for Schaub and signed him to a fat contract despite his lack of starting experience was his tenure as an NFL backup and the hundreds of hours of practice reps and film study required to hold that job.

Aaron Rodgers has made that transition. Why can't Schaub?

Texans_Chick
10-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I was happy to see Schaub fighting until the end. In spite of some bad decisions early in the game, in spite of lots of hometown booing, in spite of the crowd chanting "we want Sage", he still persevered and won the game.

While not an 'elite' QB at this point, it is good to know that there is fight left in that dog. Every QB, even the great ones, has bad games. What defines them is how they overcome and stay focussed. I can't complain about MS after a win and after connecting with no. 80 for 178 yards. I just can't ***** about it right now.

ESPN researchers (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-5-77/Breaking-down-Schaub-s-winning-performance.html?post=true) had an interesting stat. In the last game, Schaub was best with longer passes of 15+ yards. He was 9 for 7. I know that people have brought up Ocho Viejo in this thread, and I'm pretty sure that he wasn't reknown for the long ball.

Other interesting info that came up in the presser is that they were having problems early with Schaub's helmet transmitter. Shouldn't be an excuse for anything, but just an observation.

Texans_Chick
10-14-2008, 04:51 PM
You raise a good point. One major reason the Texans traded for Schaub and signed him to a fat contract despite his lack of starting experience was his tenure as an NFL backup and the hundreds of hours of practice reps and film study required to hold that job.

O really?

Lots of Green Bay fans not very happy with Rodgers (http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronrodgers/gamelogs?id=ROD339293) these days. He's hurt for one. Often holds on to the ball too long. Shortish for a QB, Tedford guy. It's too early to say for him.

Green Bay's three wins have been against Detroit, Minnesota and Seattle. He has had some good games mixed in with some clunkers. Schaub's best QB rating this season is better than Rodger's best, though Rodger's average is better, as is expected by a guy who hasn't been challenged much by good defenses.

ObsiWan
10-14-2008, 04:59 PM

First, we won't have a top five pick (or top ten for that matter).

Second, our first round pick ought to be a fast, hard-hitting, ball-hawking FS or a fast, hard-hitting OLB, to go with Diles and Ryans.

I don't mind drafting a QB for development in the later rounds - but our defense needs more pieces than the offense at this point, IMHO.

ObsiWan
10-14-2008, 05:12 PM

No QB sees the defense perfectly everytime. I call your attention to the Zack Diles INT off of Peyton Manning or the pick-six his little brother threw on MNF. But I'll have to agree with the "real zip" comment. That's the one thing I wish Schaub had more of - arm strength. I remember some of us commenting last season about balls that were underthrown.

What would VY have done last week if Tennessee fans had boo'ed him like they boo'ed Schaub?? Oh wait, we know don't we?

Ole Miss Texan
10-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I loved seeing Schaub fight till the end and make that winning drive at the end of the game. The season isn't over yet and regardless of our record, it's good to get Schaub in as many different game time situations as possible. It frustrated me to hear the crowd chanting for Sage so early in the game. It's obvious Kubiak is sticking with Schaub and I just wish the fans could support that decision. I'm not saying we all have to be blind sheep following whatever decision the team makes, but what this team needs is for our fans to cheer FOR them. Sometimes I think the fans are so idiotic it almost makes me cry. Why be so loud when it's 4th down and our offense has the ball? The majority of the time most fans don't know when to cheer and when to shut the hell up. And booing your starting quarterback so early in the game when it's obvious he's going to stay in the game is completely counterproductive. I'm glad Schaub ignored everything and focused on the game and led us to victory. He's proving to be a professional which is what he's supposed to be, it would have really concerned me if he couldn't handle it- but he did.

As far as QB in the 1st round? I think and hope that is the last thing on our mind come draft time. Even if we have the same play from our QB(s) the rest of the season, that position is scratched from my 1st round list unless there is a combination of absolutely incredible value and there is a major injury. Besides that combination, we have too many other needs than to be looking for a QB. I'd also like to see us keep that QB upright before we even think about spending high $ and high draft picks on another QB. Get the OL and DL fixed first, then go after a franchise QB if he's not already on the team. You'd think some fans would have learned that by now.

ObsiWan
10-14-2008, 05:26 PM

Why not indeed...
Let's seeee.... how many years did Aaron Rodgers get to watch Brett Favre play QB? Three.
And who did Schaub have to learn from during his 3 yrs as a back-up in ATL? Michael Vick.
Its a wonder Schaub wasn't scarred for life.

Mailman
10-14-2008, 05:33 PM
I meant it rhetorically. I'm confident that Schaub will develop into a solid starter, but I need to see him reduce his mental mistakes.

ObsiWan
10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
I meant it rhetorically. I'm confident that Schaub will develop into a solid starter, but I need to see him reduce his mental mistakes.

oh... my bad. there's no rhetorical smiley is there..?
I totally agree. These damned INTs have got to stop. We're on pace to give up 40+ turnovers this year if we don't get that fixed.

Ole Miss Texan
10-14-2008, 06:48 PM

oh... my bad. there's no rhetorical smiley is there..?
I totally agree. These damned INTs have got to stop. We're on pace to give up 40+ turnovers this year if we don't get that fixed.

I think Schaub has a lot of potential to be a great QB. Not like an Elway or Montana... but all he has to do in Kubiak's offense is make solid throws. He's got the rollout, play action and all that down. He just has to learn from these unwise throws and mental mistakes as mentioned.

Lots of QB's, even great ones, trust themselves so much. Looke at Favre, he throws into double/triple coverage a lot. sometimes he pulls it off, sometimes he doesn't. I'm not bringing this up b/c it's one of the weakest arguments and one that i despise. But Favre (for example) is asked to win games, he's asked to be the playmaker... to force throws. Schaub is the opposite. He's not a guy we NEEd to make plays all the time. This offense is built for throws where the QB isn't forced to make tough ones w/ multiple defenders waiting. They are asked to manage the game and make wise throws to open receivers, leading them to gain valuable yards after catch.

Schaub needs to stop forcing throws, especially in the red zone. In the red zone, the field shortens up considerablly so it doesn't surprise me that Schaub struggles like he does in the open field. I think this is something he can work through and learn from though. I also think Kubiak feels if he keeps putting Schaub out there and doesn't give up on him, he'll learn and be highly successful.

If Kubiak was like some of these fans and so shortsighted, Schaub... well no QB could develop from starting experience. Mistakes are going to be made, and good QB's learn from them. I hope Schaub is put in tough situations throughout the season so he can learn and develop from them.

b0ng
10-14-2008, 07:12 PM
He's not a guy we NEEd to make plays all the time. This offense is built for throws where the QB isn't forced to make tough ones w/ multiple defenders waiting. They are asked to manage the game and make wise throws to open receivers, leading them to gain valuable yards after catch.

With the way our defense has been playing, I don't think it's the offense we have to worry about putting us in a big hole right out the gate. To say the least, the D has not done us any favors in the first half of the game. When you've got defenses who know that you're going airborne because your down 14 or 21 in the third, it makes it a hell of a lot harder to make wise throws to open receivers. Also, the offensive line is experiencing growing pains due to the Center, and Left Tackle are both new to the team and the other vets probably don't have as good of a grasp on their tendencies and shortcomings like they did Weary and Salaam. Those two things combines make it really brutal on the QB because he has to make the right throws at the right time to the right people with "FAT"ALBERT HAYNESWORTH coming at his grill.

ReliantTexan
10-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Schaub has heart, lol, seriously, look at his stats,Lol ok. 371 yds. a passing TD, rushing TD and 2 picks . He led the NFL in passing yds so he must have done something right. Yeah he made some bad throws, but he rebounded and put us in position to win, that's all that matters.

BigBull17
10-15-2008, 08:21 AM
You think Sage gave up?

Nah, but he cracked. He let his errors get to his head and tried too hard to make up for them. And Carr, or VY for that matter, would have crawled into a hole and hid till the beat down was over.

HoustonFrog
10-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Nah, but he cracked. He let his errors get to his head and tried too hard to make up for them. And Carr, or VY for that matter, would have crawled into a hole and hid till the beat down was over.

I find this a funny comment on the state of some Texan fans. It is so true

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-32questions101408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

25. Houston Texans: Were thousands of Texans fans roasting turkeys on Sunday, or were they actually calling for a quarterback who’d blown the previous game by turning over the ball three times in the final four minutes?

Texanfan4ever
10-15-2008, 05:59 PM
The Texans' record in games he started is, to date, 5-10. In two of those ten losses (both Titan games last year), he was knocked out early with the game well in doubt. If he was a pitcher, Schaub would have gotten a no-decision in those two games. In the other game where he was KO'd (San Diego), we were trailing 28-3, so that loss belongs on his ledger by any metric.

So, if you follow baseball rules, Schaub's record as a Texan is 5-8. If you count both Tennessee losses against him, it is 5-10. Schaub lost both his starts with the Falcons.

Thanks - I hadn't researched it and wasn't sure. Good, or interesting, to know.

barrett
10-15-2008, 06:16 PM
on one hand i agree that schaub has the potential to be a very good quarterback. he's certainly shown signs of it. but he has also shown a consistent ability to make mistakes. not in the sense that he always makes mistakes but i wouldn't feel totally confident in saying that he's improved in the few games he's played. (i welcome you to correct me here)

sitting on the bench for 3 years couldn't have hurt him and i'm sure he's a better qb because of it. but i have to ask myself is he showing progress? it's hard to say. he came out of the gates so well! has he regressed? i don't think so by any means. i think we have a tendency to place too much value on those first two games of '07. or at least on what the texans showed us in those two games. both of those teams that we beat went on to pretty lousy seasons. we went on to a very average season. in the end i would say that his play over all in the games that he played was average to above average as far as comparing him to the rest of the leagues quarterbacks.

would he have continued to improve if he hadn't been injured? who knows.

i try to compare him to someone like Romo who also sat on the bench for a few years. (several more if i am to be correct about this) but he came out and showed skills right off the bat. (much like schaub) he played poorly a few times and continues to play poorly from time to time. is he more consistent than schaub? it's hard to say. his football team certainly wins more games consistently than schaub's does.

but i think it's a fair comparison to analyze as far has schaub's progress is concerned.