PDA

View Full Version : Are we gunning for the #1 pick?

jerek
10-12-2008, 01:49 PM
This is embarrassing. Schaub can't finish a drive, our defense is out of position and can't force turnovers? Patrick Cobbs? Are you serious?

Leahmic223
10-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Maybe...if we get it hopefully we draft a QB bcuz both of ours are mediocre and just can't get it done.

TexansSeminole
10-12-2008, 02:25 PM
I think we will have a top 5 pick. Who knows if it will be the #1 pick.

You can't win games when your QB constantly throws the ball into triple coverage or right to the defenders.

Leahmic223
10-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I think the only thing this team is missing on Offense is a QB...yeah sometimes our LT fails us...but sometimes THIS HAPPENS.

We need a QB that can still make a positive play when this happens either through the air or with his feet. We lose this game, time to start calling for Tebow or Stafford or someone I don't care.

J-Russ
10-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Schaub is my QB, I'm not worry about him. I'm worry about the LT, now if you're ready to declare Brown a bust, then maybe we should use our first pick on Eugene Monroe or something. But I'm not ready to give up on Brown.

Leahmic223
10-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I think Brown has been playing well, I don't think he's the problem.

The problem with our offense and the only problem is the play of our QB...look at all the turnovers this season...ALL BY OUR QBs.

Our QBs just don't perform well under pressure, it's time we get a QB that does. Until Matt turns around i'm convinced the QB is the problem...we have PLENTY of weapons on offense, it makes no sense we get in the red-zone and are lucky to get 3 points only.

bah007
10-12-2008, 02:58 PM
My Top 5 QB's:

1. Bradford, OU
2. Stafford, Georgia
3. Freeman, Kansas St
4. Tebow, Florida
5. McCoy, Texas

mussop
10-12-2008, 03:12 PM
My Top 5 QB's:

1. Bradford, OU
2. Stafford, Georgia
3. Freeman, Kansas St
4. Tebow, Florida
5. McCoy, Texas

Wouldnt mind seeing Bradford in steel blue!

Hookem Horns
10-12-2008, 03:48 PM

OU QB in the NFL? Has there ever been a decent one?

jerek
10-12-2008, 03:58 PM
The fact that, in response to a sarcastic post, we already have fans discussing who would be a good choice only goes to show just how bad it's gotten for us.

Hookem Horns
10-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Yeah, it doesn't look like we will have a shot at the #1 pick. There is a lot of competition for that this year.

dickieb
10-14-2008, 09:21 PM
This is embarrassing. Schaub can't finish a drive, our defense is out of position and can't force turnovers? Patrick Cobbs? Are you serious?

I'm glad you called Schaub out...

Ole Miss Texan
10-14-2008, 11:37 PM
I was wondering how I missed this thread but remembered that I completely ignored all the knee jerk reaction posts/threads.

In response to those people thinking that QB is the only position needed on Offense.. that's laughable. Center and Right Guard are HUGE question marks on our team right now. We're getting eaten alive in the middle. You wanna know how you beat Peyton Manning? Look at what DE/DT's do to Myers and Brisiel. I'm not going to get into anymore than this b/c it's a waste of time and I think the majority of people are just frustrated so they're talking out of their rear end.

I do think we're going to have a top ten pick but I doubt it's this high. $$$-wise I really hope we're not in the top 5 b/c those picks are just so expensive. And I do NOT support using a high 1st rd pick on a QB with the current state our team is in. We're fine with QB right now... we have to focus on other positions to build our team.

barrett
10-15-2008, 12:51 AM
the person who started this thread is a tool.

Corrosion
10-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Are we gunning for the #1 pick?

I should hope not , I dont see a player out there that is worth the money it would take to sign the #1 overall.

Kulluminatii
10-15-2008, 02:06 AM
We could easily get Slaton's old college teammate Pat White in the draft, would be a nice combo to see those two play again, on the same team. I have a feeling Pat White will do well in the NFL, and will be severely underrated, a great steal for the Texans.

Then again, maybe me being a fan of WVU is making me say crazy things:shoot:

HJam72
10-15-2008, 02:48 AM
I was wondering how I missed this thread but remembered that I completely ignored all the knee jerk reaction posts/threads.

In response to those people thinking that QB is the only position needed on Offense.. that's laughable. Center and Right Guard are HUGE question marks on our team right now. We're getting eaten alive in the middle. You wanna know how you beat Peyton Manning? Look at what DE/DT's do to Myers and Brisiel. I'm not going to get into anymore than this b/c it's a waste of time and I think the majority of people are just frustrated so they're talking out of their rear end.

I do think we're going to have a top ten pick but I doubt it's this high. $$$-wise I really hope we're not in the top 5 b/c those picks are just so expensive. And I do NOT support using a high 1st rd pick on a QB with the current state our team is in. We're fine with QB right now... we have to focus on other positions to build our team.

I really don't think Jerek is that stuck on just the QB position. I wasn't real happy with Schaub, either, but at least he (with a LOT of help) pulled it out.

I felt the same way about C and RG, but I thought they both did pretty well in this last game, especially in the run game. 'Course they could have been replaced and I wouldn't have even noticed. :) When D-Rob gets back out there, I'll be real impressed with whomever he replaced, lol.

HJam72
10-15-2008, 02:48 AM
the person who started this thread is a tool.

Now that's just funny. :spit:

I think a lot of people would have agreed with him at the time, though, including me.

beerlover
10-15-2008, 04:55 AM
In 7 years the Texans have hit the nail on the head only 4 times (Mario, AJ, Dunta & DeMeco) sure there are other- excellent players, but I think the point is we've missed on that same level of player @ QB, RB, LT, C, DB, DE, DT, OLB etc........ and if we must continue to suck the drive has to be- continue to upgrade positions of need.

I've been completely wrong about the 08 Texans so far, I really thought we would be winning more than losing & finish, picking next years 1st pick early 20's, at least higher than #18. I can't even predict one stinking score so I'm sure as hell not going to figure out where the Texans wind up now in the win loss category or placement of draft order. what I can say without a shadow of a doubt is its going to be a banner draft, lots of talented underclassman coming out with impending union/owner structure unsettled its just as much about how many as it is how high the Texans draft picks are.

Therefore despite whatever the record turns out to be leveraging position & evaulting talent is what its all about, just look at what Rick Smith was able to do with the 18th selection last draft, he traded down & still got a LT they wanted (who has started every game so far) & RB (who has established himself as the starting RB).

Also worth mentioning is this year the Texans own their 2nd rd. pick, the last time that happened they drafted DeMeco :)

Texan_Bill
10-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Worst thread evah!!!

BigBull17
10-15-2008, 12:14 PM

Then you wont mind next year. I believe he wont be eligible for the draft this offseason

Leahmic223
10-15-2008, 02:33 PM

You know Matt could have thrown more than 2 picks in that last game had the Fins secondary had better hands. The oline actually holds up for the most part good enough for the guy to throw for 300 yards, so there's no excuse for him to throw so many balls up for grabs.

imatexan
10-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Why was this thread created?:gun:

mussop
10-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Just curious, who would you take if we did get the #1 pick and had no trade down option?

Second Honeymoon
10-15-2008, 03:00 PM
this post was probably made right after either Schaub throw 2 picks to open the game or after Wilson fumbled his interception and they drove down the field to take the lead.

those are my guesses. it didn't look real good at either of those points of the game.

Second Honeymoon
10-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Just curious, who would you take if we did get the #1 pick and had no trade down option?

because they are already have their Offensive Tackles locked up in Brown and Winston (and this is a Tackle-rich draft) they really didn't need Oher or Davis as OL. Their best value would probably be Matthew Stafford the QB out of Georgia and we really don't need a QB either arguably.

I wouldn't take any of the DBs or RBs (Crabtree, Moreno, Davis, or Jenkins) #1 overall even though they are at more of a position of need than OL and perhaps QB. If we get like the 8th pick overall, I would like them to go after Orakpo or Laurinaitis or any of the DBs or RBs listed above.

ObsiWan
10-15-2008, 03:19 PM
because they are already have their Offensive Tackles locked up in Brown and Winston (and this is a Tackle-rich draft) they really didn't need Oher or Davis as OL. Their best value would probably be Matthew Stafford the QB out of Georgia and we really don't need a QB either arguably.

I wouldn't take any of the DBs or RBs (Crabtree, Moreno, Davis, or Jenkins) #1 overall even though they are at more of a position of need than OL and perhaps QB. If we get like the 8th pick overall, I would like them to go after Orakpo or Laurinaitis or any of the DBs or RBs listed above.

How is this draft fixed for DLs, DBs or OLBs?
Those spots are the most in need of upgrading in my mind.
OBTW, we'll be drafting around the 18-20 spot - we'll just miss the playoffs and we'll all be bitchin' about the games we let slip away.

powerfuldragon
10-15-2008, 03:24 PM
No we're not. it was an unfortunate combination of bad luck and injuries.

/close thread.

Ole Miss Texan
10-15-2008, 03:39 PM
You know Matt could have thrown more than 2 picks in that last game had the Fins secondary had better hands. The oline actually holds up for the most part good enough for the guy to throw for 300 yards, so there's no excuse for him to throw so many balls up for grabs.

The thing that concerns me about Schaub are some of those throws that are just not good decisions... seems like some mental mistakes on his part. I'm hoping he can learn from his mistakes he's made over the past year and go forward. i think Kubiak can help with his development. If he gets that part down, he's going to be a very good QB.

Why go after a QB #1 overall when you're probably going to get, at best, what Schaub is doing this season? I seriously doubt any of the QB's this year will come in and be substantially better than Schaub. So now you're talking about upside. Kubiak thinks Schaub has that upside, he's got all the smarts, all the tools, he just has to put it together and quit making boneheaded decisions.

I'm a big fan of Schaub but I do realize he has faults that need correcting. Our overall team needs a lot of help. I'm really not worried about squeeking into the playoffs this year or next. I'm worried about getting our team build up solidly enough that we expect to go to the playoffs every year. We have way too many holes to be replacing the QB yet again right now.

Of course that's just my opinion and everyone is welcome to their own. I'd prefer using our 1st rounder on a position of need that will significantly upgrade our team for the short and long term. I don't see QB being that position.

Malloy
10-15-2008, 03:51 PM
we'll just miss the playoffs and we'll all be bitchin' about the games we let slip away.

Dude you're so wrong, stuff like that never happens here!

ObsiWan
10-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Dude you're so wrong, stuff like that never happens here!

riiiight....
whut wuz I thinkin'?

Mr teX
10-15-2008, 04:08 PM
In 7 years the Texans have hit the nail on the head only 4 times (Mario, AJ, Dunta & DeMeco) sure there are other- excellent players, but I think the point is we've missed on that same level of player @ QB, RB, LT, C, DB, DE, DT, OLB etc........ and if we must continue to suck the drive has to be- continue to upgrade positions of need.

I've been completely wrong about the 08 Texans so far, I really thought we would be winning more than losing & finish, picking next years 1st pick early 20's, at least higher than #18. I can't even predict one stinking score so I'm sure as hell not going to figure out where the Texans wind up now in the win loss category or placement of draft order. what I can say without a shadow of a doubt is its going to be a banner draft, lots of talented underclassman coming out with impending union/owner structure unsettled its just as much about how many as it is how high the Texans draft picks are.

Therefore despite whatever the record turns out to be leveraging position & evaulting talent is what its all about, just look at what Rick Smith was able to do with the 18th selection last draft, he traded down & still got a LT they wanted (who has started every game so far) & RB (who has established himself as the starting RB).

Also worth mentioning is this year the Texans own their 2nd rd. pick, the last time that happened they drafted DeMeco :)

um...that's wrong Daniels, Slaton & Winston, all have been great for us. You could even add in a couple more names who've been solid i just negelected to b/c it hasn't neccessarily shown up in them yet. The problem is we were so screwed up from the capers era that it's gonna take just a bit longer for us to get over that.

beerlover
10-15-2008, 04:42 PM

this is all hypothetical but since you ask you shall receive :specnatz:

fire Richard Smith & bring back Dom Capers to be DC.....run a hybrid 3-4 (use alot of 4-3 alignments). of course he never had a healthy NT to run the damn thing successfully (Payne had a tragic injury history, great guy but lame) so you go into the draft to remake the DL. the Texans lack power & space in the middle, Okam could make a fine back-up NT so thats not a waste plus we have good young depth with Deljuan Robinson & Travis Johnson. You use Amobi Okoye & Mario Williams as your ends (LDT/RDT) then with the 1st pick (wherever it happens to be) take 365-pound Terrence Cody to play the nose.

Mario Williams is a unique talent so is Cody. when you boil all the measureables down into a brew :stirpot: striving for both excellence & balance its not always the best rated prospect who shines its the best fit into a system that excells. Who for instance is convinced that Amobi Okoye is not a great talent? yet his production on the field suffers, why? is it the system, coaching what is holding him back from becoming a dominant NFL lineman? move Diles inside next to DeMeco & put Bulman (LOLB) & Chaun Thompson (ROLB) with Mario/Cody/Okoye up front I think you could really have something special.

sorry but you had to ask :tiphat:

mussop
10-15-2008, 06:11 PM
The thing that concerns me about Schaub are some of those throws that are just not good decisions... seems like some mental mistakes on his part. I'm hoping he can learn from his mistakes he's made over the past year and go forward. i think Kubiak can help with his development. If he gets that part down, he's going to be a very good QB.

Why go after a QB #1 overall when you're probably going to get, at best, what Schaub is doing this season? I seriously doubt any of the QB's this year will come in and be substantially better than Schaub. So now you're talking about upside. Kubiak thinks Schaub has that upside, he's got all the smarts, all the tools, he just has to put it together and quit making boneheaded decisions.

I'm a big fan of Schaub but I do realize he has faults that need correcting. Our overall team needs a lot of help. I'm really not worried about squeeking into the playoffs this year or next. I'm worried about getting our team build up solidly enough that we expect to go to the playoffs every year. We have way too many holes to be replacing the QB yet again right now.

Of course that's just my opinion and everyone is welcome to their own. I'd prefer using our 1st rounder on a position of need that will significantly upgrade our team for the short and long term. I don't see QB being that position.

I agee with everything you said. I dont have alot of faith in Schaubs ability right now but believe he can still grow into a good enough QB to lead this team.

As far as who I would pick, Oher or Monroe whomever fits our blocking scheme best would be my choice. So what if we already have our T of the future. You dont get many chances to draft a stud LT that can help this team for the next 10 to 12 years. Its not like we have too much talent on the OL either. Any one of Oher, Monroe, Winston or Brown could move inside and drastically improve our offense. Remember how the Oilers kept drafting OL year after year and all the sudden they were a powerhouse for years to come. It wasnt a coincidence.

I know our D needs help but there is no one (at this point) worthy of the #1 pick on that side of the ball.

mussop
10-15-2008, 06:13 PM
this is all hypothetical but since you ask you shall receive :specnatz:

fire Richard Smith & bring back Dom Capers to be DC.....run a hybrid 3-4 (use alot of 4-3 alignments). of course he never had a healthy NT to run the damn thing successfully (Payne had a tragic injury history, great guy but lame) so you go into the draft to remake the DL. the Texans lack power & space in the middle, Okam could make a fine back-up NT so thats not a waste plus we have good young depth with Deljuan Robinson & Travis Johnson. You use Amobi Okoye & Mario Williams as your ends (LDT/RDT) then with the 1st pick (wherever it happens to be) take 365-pound Terrence Cody to play the nose.

Mario Williams is a unique talent so is Cody. when you boil all the measureables down into a brew :stirpot: striving for both excellence & balance its not always the best rated prospect who shines its the best fit into a system that excells. Who for instance is convinced that Amobi Okoye is not a great talent? yet his production on the field suffers, why? is it the system, coaching what is holding him back from becoming a dominant NFL lineman? move Diles inside next to DeMeco & put Bulman (LOLB) & Chaun Thompson (ROLB) with Mario/Cody/Okoye up front I think you could really have something special.

sorry but you had to ask :tiphat:

Throw FA Albert Haynesworth in there instead of Cody and you got a deal!