PDA

View Full Version : Faggins to start.... again

J-Russ
10-11-2008, 01:49 AM
When the Texans play Miami on Sunday, Texans cornerback DeMarcus Faggins will start opposite Jacques Reeves for the second consecutive game, meaning Fred Bennett has been relegated to nickel back.

In the 30-27 loss to Indianapolis, Faggins and Bennett played their best games this season.

“I’ve worked hard to get back to this point, and this is another challenge,” Faggins said after practice Friday.

Faggins, an original Texan who was selected in the sixth round of the 2002 draft, started eight games last season and struggled so badly he was benched. He was booed by fans and criticized by the media. After the season, Faggins was a long shot to make the team.

“This (starting) is what they (coaches) decided. Some people might not like it, but this is what’s happened. All I want to do right now is help this team win. I’ll do whatever I can.”

Faggins’ return to the lineup comes at the expense of his friend, Bennett. As a rookie last season, Bennett started eight games and appeared to have the job locked up.

“They (coaches) said I wasn’t playing to the level of last year,” Bennett said. “That caught me off-guard, but I’m dealing with it. I’m going to work harder and get better. I’m angry about it, but who wouldn’t be? I know I can play. I think I proved that Sunday.”

Coming off the bench against the Colts, Bennett had three tackles, knocked down a pass and covered his man all over the field.

“That’s my best game this season, and I know I’ll play like that from here on out,” Bennett said. “Petey’s played well. He’s my guy. He and D-Rob (Dunta Robinson) showed me the ropes last season. We have a great relationship.”
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6052303.html

This is like a never ending nightmare, the guy finds a way to start every year. But now it's worst because we have him and his duplicate starting opposite of him, instead of D-Rob. Oh the horror.

Vinny
10-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Faggins has played well this year

J-Russ
10-11-2008, 02:16 AM
yea, I know... I'm just still suffering from the psychological effects from Lee Evans and that Falcons game last year. I just hope Bennett get out of his slump before Faggins inevitably get into his. If Faggins keep playing like he has though, then we might finally have a good problem to solve, once D-Rob comes back and Molden start getting into the groove.

Vinny
10-11-2008, 02:23 AM
I'm not counting on Dunta this season. Hopefully Faggins, Reeves and Bennett can give us decent enough play...I've seen some good stuff from Reeves and Faggins even though there are obvious holes in both of their games.

texanfreak
10-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I believe Dunta is trying to come back too soon. I know he wants to play and we want him back but his injury was a severe one. I just can't see him being fully recovered this early in the season. But if the doctors clear him to play who am I to disagree. I just hope when he does come back he hasn't lost a step.

eriadoc
10-11-2008, 10:46 AM
So they benched Bennett instead of Reeves? Yeah, that sounds about right for our defensive coaches. As soon as Bennett has a good game, they bench him.

Brando
10-11-2008, 11:03 AM
So they benched Bennett instead of Reeves? Yeah, that sounds about right for our defensive coaches. As soon as Bennett has a good game, they bench him.

He came off the bench last week, Faggins got the start last week too.

The Pencil Neck
10-11-2008, 11:46 AM

You've got the order of events wrong.

The coaches benched Bennett and THEN he has his best game.

They bench Okoye and THEN he has his best game.

Odd how that works out. Hopefully, they actually figured something out and didn't just get lucky for one game.

TheRealJoker
10-11-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm happy with benching players who aren't performing up to expectations from past performances if it makes them step up their game and improve. It seems that Bennett and Amobi are taking this as a challenge instead of pouting and demanding a trade.

barrett
10-11-2008, 12:38 PM
i agree. accountability.