PDA

View Full Version : Ringing "endorsement" of Ahman Green

Koolaid Time
10-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Though in-season NFL trades are a rarity, four team executives talked to Yahoo! Sports about players they believe should be dealt prior to the deadline next Tuesday.

The executives agreed that the only teams that should really be cleaning house at this point are the Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions and St. Louis Rams. Even though the Houston Texans are 0-4, many observes believe they will rebound and play well.

Furthermore, the Texans don’t have many players who should just be dumped, aside from running back Ahman Green.

“And I would only take Green if I was truly desperate,” one of the executive said. “Thank God I’m not in that situation.” :gun:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-tradebait100808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Vinny
10-10-2008, 10:41 AM
we would probably be 2-2 if we had a coach that understood the dynamics of sound football strategy, so yeah we will rebound to a robust .500. Gotta reach high. I mean this team was downright giddy after 8-8 last year.

Runner
10-10-2008, 11:00 AM
2-2? Who do you think the Texans are, the Dolphins?:cool:

beerlover
10-10-2008, 11:08 AM

- Parcells

Porky
10-10-2008, 11:12 AM
we would probably be 2-2 if we had a coach that understood the dynamics of sound football strategy, so yeah we will rebound to a robust .500. Gotta reach high. I mean this team was downright giddy after 8-8 last year.

Yup, totally agree. In fact, I'm not so sure with better coaching we wouldn't be 3-1.

Think about the Titan game, where Kubes kept going for it instead of kicking FG's, and the lousy play calling etc. That game may have been a totally different ending with a little more forethought. No guarantee the outcome would have been different, but we would have had a fighting chance.

cowbellm00
10-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Though in-season NFL trades are a rarity, four team executives talked to Yahoo! Sports about players they believe should be dealt prior to the deadline next Tuesday.

The executives agreed that the only teams that should really be cleaning house at this point are the Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions and St. Louis Rams. Even though the Houston Texans are 0-4, many observes believe they will rebound and play well.

Furthermore, the Texans don’t have many players who should just be dumped, aside from running back Ahman Green.

“And I would only take Green if I was truly desperate,” one of the executive said. “Thank God I’m not in that situation.” :gun:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-tradebait100808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

:fans: I agree Green needs to get gone ASAP. Coach needs to focus more on newer talent, particularly at the RB position. He seems to have a problem with bringing old workhorses that are to prone to injuries, than young "moldable" kids ( like Slaton ) that wont hit the IR list by week 2 or 3.

gtexan02
10-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Green looked great last Sunday, rushing 12 times for 50ish yards or so. He had burst, vision, and power. Who cares if he takes a roster spot and 4 million? Its not like we'd use either of those on someone better. Obviously he's better than Walker or Taylor, so I say let him earn his money

Vinny
10-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Green looked great last Sunday, rushing 12 times for 50ish yards or so. He had burst, vision, and power. Who cares if he takes a roster spot and 4 million? Its not like we'd use either of those on someone better. Obviously he's better than Walker or Taylor, so I say let him earn his moneyhe also fell down without being touched on a critical third down.

BigBull17
10-10-2008, 12:25 PM
he also fell down without being touched on a critical third down.

That was SO wide open. The D line was running back into a zone. It would have been a huge play.

gtexan02
10-10-2008, 12:58 PM

So? I don't see the point. QBs are going to fumble snaps. Wide Receivers are going to drop balls. Running backs are going to occasionally trip. I don't see how one mis-step negates the entire game.

He didn't fumble the ball. His running was part of why we "should" have won.

Vinny
10-10-2008, 01:00 PM
So? I don't see the point. QBs are going to fumble snaps. Wide Receivers are going to drop balls. Running backs are going to occasionally trip. I don't see how one mis-step negates the entire game.

yer right...ahman is awesome! Just like my siggy.

SOLIS
10-10-2008, 01:30 PM
That's the same article that goes on to say that the Texans should trade Antwan Odom. Right...

Hell, for what it's worth, I wish Antwan Odom was a Texan. He sure as hell can't do any worse than Weaver, that non-pass rushing mofo.

HJam72
10-10-2008, 01:34 PM

I think he was just too pumped up on that play. Probably won't happen again. Can't say he won't get injured again very soon, though.

gtexan02
10-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Stupid internet. I'm pretty sure "yer" being sarcastic, but since I have horrible sarcasm detection and since your signature is awesome, who knows.

Anyway, I'm not saying Green is awesome. Alls I'm saying is that he looked great last Sunday. And I don't think that his one trip up completely negated a good day on the ground.

disaacks3
10-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Stupid internet. I'm pretty sure "yer" being sarcastic, but since I have horrible sarcasm detection and since your signature is awesome, who knows.

Anyway, I'm not saying Green is awesome. Alls I'm saying is that he looked great last Sunday. And I don't think that his one trip up completely negated a good day on the ground.

12 rushes for 47 (long of 9) is looking GREAT? Jeez, our standards have really lowered, haven't they? :mcnugget:

Second Honeymoon
10-10-2008, 03:17 PM

vinny, by the excuse laden tone of some posters you would think they were giddy at 0-4.

this sunday is the barometer for me. yeah i know the season is pretty much over but this is a proverbial 'must win'. if we can't beat the dolphins (regardless of their improvement) this organization needs to take a long long look in the mirror from top to bottom and rededicate themselves to putting a winning product on the field...of which they have failed to do in 7 seasons.

sadly, after hearing McNair's comments the other day, I could see us doing the exact opposite and cutting players to save money and retaining our subpar coaching staff.

Texecutioner
10-10-2008, 03:40 PM

Are you honestly going to stick up for Amaan Green at all at this point and act like he renders any worth to this team? He can't be counted on for anything but jokes and punch lines at this point like the David Carr threads.

I knew it was a stupid signing from the beginning because he had been on the down slide in GB already. But after this long of doing nothing, he shouldn't have one fan of the Texans believing in him. He'll be hurt again in a game or so.

CloakNNNdagger
10-10-2008, 04:02 PM

Couldn't resist posting this link to reflect might great ambivalence to this situation.

If your're happy and you know it clap your hands...... (http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mba/lowres/mban1510l.jpg)

gtexan02
10-10-2008, 04:49 PM
12 rushes for 47 (long of 9) is looking GREAT? Jeez, our standards have really lowered, haven't they? :mcnugget:

Yeah, Great. I stand by it, too. Almost every time he touched the ball he picked up yardage. Times when I didn't think there was a hole to hit, he picked up at least a few.

This was his first game back after not playing for a few. And he was sharing time with Slaton.

I think that Slaton + Green looked GREAT on Sunday.

The NFL is a what have you done for me lately kind of place. I don't care if he isn't worth what he's being paid. Its McNairs money, not mine. And from our amazing success in FA, I doubt we'd have anyone better even if we had cut him.

So if he gives me 4 yards a carry for the rest of the season and can give Slaton some much needed breaks, I think we've got a nice 1-2 RB punch

Corrosion
10-10-2008, 04:59 PM

They are who we thought they were .... The Texans .... 32-68

Fox
10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah, Great. I stand by it, too. Almost every time he touched the ball he picked up yardage. Times when I didn't think there was a hole to hit, he picked up at least a few.

This was his first game back after not playing for a few. And he was sharing time with Slaton.

The NFL is a what have you done for me lately kind of place. I don't care if he isn't worth what he's being paid. Its McNairs money, not mine. And from our amazing success in FA, I doubt we'd have anyone better even if we had cut him.

So if he gives me 4 yards a carry for the rest of the season and can give Slaton some much needed breaks, I think we've got a nice 1-2 RB punch

Agree with this. We may be 0-4, but we should still be able to look at the games objectively and give props where they are due. Despite our record, there have been some bright spots on the field, and one of them was the Green/Slaton duo last Sunday.

Ole Miss Texan
10-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Green is one of those guys we're quick to jump at b/c he's always injured and was being paid too much. He's not the primary running back we thought he'd be... or at least that we wanted him to be.

But I like how his contract was renegotiated. I mean, our RB situation is what it is. I loved our rushing game last week. I would have expected it the opposite when the season started: Green w/ Slaton coming in a little. I too love the Slaton/Green mixture and think Green does better (with his age and injuries) coming off the bench. I hope we can keep it up. Green is one of those guys that when I see a good run from him, I feel bad for ever doubting him b/c he looks great. I just wish he'd look great more often.

Slaton is and has to be our starter. The guy is a stud, but he does need help. I feel more confident having Green go in as spot duty than I do with Taylor or Walker or any of the other guys that are available in FA.

Green will be replaced soon enough, but right now he's the best backup we have for Slaton.

CloakNNNdagger
10-10-2008, 06:23 PM

S + G did look better than any combination we've thrown out there so far. But, besides the constant worry of "when does Green go down next," we have to keep in mind, they were facing one of the worst DL and run defenses in the league. I would have to reserve unbridled joy for when we face a "descent" D.

The Pencil Neck
10-10-2008, 10:07 PM
S + G did look better than any combination we've thrown out there so far. But, besides the constant worry of "when does Green go down next," we have to keep in mind, they were facing one of the worst DL and run defenses in the league. I would have to reserve unbridled joy for when we face a "descent" D.

116 yards against the Titans?

Not that I'm suggesting unbridled joy at this point.

gtexan02
10-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Guess who was great again? Green and Slaton. Batman and Steve. Whatever you want to call them.

Green had limited action, but he made the most of it averaging over 5 yards a carry.
Slaton was bottled up occassionaly but had some great runs in there.

The two of them combined to put up about a 100 yards on only 23 carries.

This was against a team with an up and coming run defense:
Limited LT to 30 yards on 12 carries
Limited the 2 starting rushers of NE to about 50 yards on 15 carries
Limited Edge and Hightower to 75 yards on 28 carries

spurstexanstros
10-13-2008, 11:21 AM
bout time ahman had a good game.