PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Draft redo - ESPN Poll

Ole Miss Texan
10-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Just thought this poll on ESPN was interesting. I don't put to much into it because people are probably voting for their personal team, so needs are probably all different. Interesting nonetheless.

If the 2006 NFL Draft were held today, who would you choose as the top pick?

Jay Cutler 43%
Reggie Bush 31%
Mario Williams 14%
Maurice Jones-Drew 9%
Vince Young 3%

You can view the map. Of importance 22% in Texas picked Mario, and 58% in Tennessee chose Jay Cutler. :)

polls on the bottom right
http://espn.go.com/

BigBull17
10-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Just thought this poll on ESPN was interesting. I don't put to much into it because people are probably voting for their personal team, so needs are probably all different. Interesting nonetheless.

You can view the map. Of importance 22% in Texas picked Mario, and 58% in Tennessee chose Jay Cutler. :)

polls on the bottom right
http://espn.go.com/

Wow. Cuttler I can see, but still Reggie....? A slot/kick returner/overrated RB who cant run between the tackles...? Ill pass.

V Man
10-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Wow. Cuttler I can see, but still Reggie....? A slot/kick returner/overrated RB who cant run between the tackles...? Ill pass.

Probably all cause of last night. Tony Kornnerd was all over Reggie like he is on Brett.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
10-07-2008, 04:18 PM
It's still hype. I think most coaches when looking for a back would rather take MJD out of the 06 class. Most people probably don't pay attention to Reggies real stats or performance, they just figure that he is in a lot of commericals so he must be good, just like Peyton Manning.

RazorOye
10-07-2008, 04:23 PM
It's still hype. I think most coaches when looking for a back would rather take MJD out of the 06 class. Most people probably don't pay attention to Reggies real stats or performance, they just figure that he is in a lot of commericals so he must be good, just like Peyton Manning.

so he's not good?

Absurd.

Personally I'd have them ranked as follows:

Mario
Cutler
Reggie
MJD
VY

Ole Miss Texan
10-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Looking back I would have:

1 Mario Williams
2 Trade down
3 Trade down even if we didn't get full value

Double Barrel
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM

Mario
Cutler
Reggie
MJD
VY

I agree with your order, except hindsight being 20/20 and all, I would not have VY on my own list, and, I would have DeMeco Ryans either third or fourth (I'm big on defense that way).

RazorOye
10-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I agree with your order, except hindsight being 20/20 and all, I would not have VY on my own list, and, I would have DeMeco Ryans either third or fourth (I'm big on defense that way).

nor would I - I was just going by the list that was given

gtexan02
10-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Reggie should be first. Decoys like that only come around once a decade.

Seriously though, depending on whether you need offense or defense Cutler and Williams are the obvious top choices. No one else on the list comes close

HOU-TEX
10-07-2008, 05:57 PM
so he's not good?

Absurd.

Mario
Cutler
Reggie
MJD
VY

Honestly, using the previous two years as a gauge I'd have MJD above Bush.

Mario
Cutler
MJD
Bush

*puts homer glasses on*

Mario
D-Ryans
OD
The Caveman
DA

Cutler

RazorOye
10-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Honestly, using the previous two years as a gauge I'd have MJD above Bush.

Mario
Cutler
MJD
Bush

and I can see that argument too - it's by no means a no-brainer with me putting Bush ahead of MJD. I took the first 5 games this year into consideration and I like Bush better - but I'd not object to someone placing MJD ahead of Bush

Ole Miss Texan
10-07-2008, 06:33 PM
and I can see that argument too - it's by no means a no-brainer with me putting Bush ahead of MJD. I took the first 5 games this year into consideration and I like Bush better - but I'd not object to someone placing MJD ahead of Bush

That's exactly my point/way of thinking. It depends on the team and the team's style/preference of player. For instance, Reggie would be a marginal upgrade if we added him to our team. Maurice Jones-Drew I think would make a HUGE difference. But for other teams, having a player like Reggie would be more beneficial.

I'm still not a big fan of choosing a RB so early in the draft (unless his name rhymes with Badrian Jeterson) b/c the drop off in RB talent is so minimal, especially taking into account they will probably be in the league for half the time.

Not that you can predict anyone's career, but O-linemen and D-linemen generally play in the league far longer on average than other positions. so if you have some really good players on the DL or OL, it will help your team much longer.

mattieuk
10-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Mario (we've gotta say that one on here...)
MJD
Cutler
Bush
DeAngelo Williams (for saving my FF last year)
Ryan Plackemeier (punter from Wake for Seattle, cut this year)
Vince Young.

End draft.

J-Russ
10-07-2008, 07:49 PM
The people of football nation is dumber then I thought....

imatexan
10-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Wow at least Mario should be closer!

Carr Bombed
10-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Unbiased list...

Cutler (sorry, but a franchise QB is the most valuable thing in all of sports)
Mario
MJD
Don't care
Don't care

BattleRedToro
10-08-2008, 12:56 AM
For instance, Reggie would be a marginal upgrade if we added him to our team.

Call me a homer, but I don't agree at all that Bush is an upgrade over Slaton.

In addition, when you take into account the cost aspect, the advantage clearly is in Slaton's favor.

beerlover
10-08-2008, 04:45 AM
why can't we just say 2006 was a great draft class & leave it at that? many teams helped themselves, just wish the same talent was on the board in 2002 :brickwall:

rmartin65
10-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I voted Cutler. Mario would be second, then MJD. VY last. In the draft.

BigBull17
10-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Unbiased list...

Cutler (sorry, but a franchise QB is the most valuable thing in all of sports)
Mario
MJD
Don't care
Don't care

Agreed. Cutler is the only guy I would take ahead of Mario. And VY would be a 3rd round pick. Its almost laughable they put him on this list...

QUOTE=beerlover;1018102]why can't we just say 2006 was a great draft class & leave it at that? many teams helped themselves, just wish the same talent was on the board in 2002 :brickwall:[/QUOTE]

We got so screwed on our 02 draft class. There was great talent there, to bad Casserly was GM...

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-08-2008, 01:46 PM
If you would choose Mario over Jay Cutler you are delusional. A really good DE who gets like 12 sacks a year or a really good QB who can lead a team and touch the ball on every play? There is only one right answer.

That's the unbiased truth.

stingray
10-08-2008, 01:48 PM
If you would choose Mario over Jay Cutler you are delusional. A really good DE who gets like 12 sacks a year or a really good QB who can lead a team and touch the ball on every play? There is only one right answer.

Who says Mario will get only 12 sacks a year. He might average 15 or so. Answer me this. Would you rather have Reggie White on your team for 15 years or John Elway. I don't think that is an obvious answer. And sacks aren't the only indicator of a great defensive lineman. Just putting pressure on a QB is good enough. The Giants only sacked Brady 5 times last year in the SB. Technically that is only five plays but they were constantly in his face and knocking him down and he was always rushing his throw.

Carr Bombed
10-08-2008, 04:35 PM
I don't know man.......John Elway is my ALLTIME favorite QB, he took teams that had no business going to the Superbowl to the Superbowl. I would have to go with him.

but it doesn't matter, both players deserved to go #1 and we got 1 of them......atleast it wasn't the 2002 draft (you'd be amazed at all the busts that were in that draft if you go back and look at it.), but that's another thread.

stingray
10-08-2008, 04:42 PM
I don't know man.......John Elway is my ALLTIME favorite QB, he took teams that had no business going to the Superbowl to the Superbowl. I would have to go with him.

but it doesn't matter, both players deserved to go #1 and we got 1 of them......atleast it wasn't the 2002 draft (you'd be amazed at all the busts that were in that draft if you go back and look at it.), but that's another thread.

I probably would also take Elway but I don't think you could go wrong with eiter one.

imatexan
10-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Cutler IS NOT Elway though, come on people!

stingray
10-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Cutler IS NOT Elway though, come on people!

No he is not. I was comparing a great QB to a great Defensive end. And Mario is no Reggie just yet either.

b0ng
10-08-2008, 07:47 PM

Yes this is true that Cutler is pretty much the top guy out of that class, however, it's not completely out of the realm of sanity to say "I want that stud pass rushing DE".

Bush above Mario is a travesty that only the ESPN Loyal could pull off.

Spled
10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Anyone that understands football would have Mario over Reggie. I wouldn't trade Slaton straight up for Bush.