PDA

View Full Version : Steve Slaton- RB Savior

Ole Miss Texan
10-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Well I think we're all excited and thrilled about how well Slaton is doing. Add to that, the fact that he looks to be much more than a 3rd down change of pace type of back, and looks like a viable starter for us. Thought I'd post some of his stats after 4 games played.

Steve Slaton:
57 Rushes for 285 yards and 3 Touchdowns, 0 fumbles
-14.25 carries per game with a 5.0 ypc average (long of 50 yds)
16 Receptions for 100 yards and 1 Touchdown, 0 fumbles
-4.0 catches per game with a 6.2 ypc average (long of 30 yds)

That's 18.25 touches, averaging 96.25 yards , a 1 TD per game.

Keep it up Slaton!!!

You can compare his stats to the other rookie RB's here:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=RUSHING&season=2008&seasonType=REG&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

TexansSeminole
10-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Gotta love Slaton. Only rookie with 2 40+ yard runs. Also no fumbles!

Keep it up!

Texecutioner
10-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah Slaton continues to impress. He just might be the only bright spot about this season thus far. I still think we need another back to carry the load with him, but he's playing well right now.

GuerillaBlack
10-06-2008, 04:05 PM
He's fourth in rookie receiving right now and third in rushing. I say he finished in top 3 for rookie rushing yards and top 2 in TDs.

bah007
10-06-2008, 04:06 PM
He's exceeded my expectations so far.

I'll eat crow. I thought he was Reggie Bush Jr with a lower salary.

He's easily a better running back than Bush.

Double Barrel
10-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I was excited about drafting Slaton after seeing some of his highlights. He looks like the kind of RB that Kubiak wants in his system, and we did not have to break the bank to get him.

Every time he runs I do expect to see him get loose and bust out a long TD run. It has been awhile since we had that kind of explosive RB, so it is a breath of fresh air this season.

Carr Bombed
10-06-2008, 04:12 PM
It has been awhile since we had that kind of explosive RB, so it is a breath of fresh air this season.

The last time we had that kind of runner in Houston the football team had a different name and a different owner........even DD was not that explosive.

Anyways this thread needs to be changed from Steve Slaton- RB Savior to Steve Slaton- Team Savior, because he's pretty much the only reason why I'm going to be tunning in every Sunday....he's one of the few bright spots.

Double Barrel
10-06-2008, 04:13 PM
The last time we had that kind of runner in Houston the football team had a different name and a different owner........even DD was not that explosive.

yep. You nailed it. :howdy:

texanhead08
10-06-2008, 04:14 PM
I would like to have a power back as a change of pace, but Slaton has brought the goods so far. I kept saying in pre season he is going to be our no 1 when its all said and done. I thought it might be mid season before that happened, but talent always rises to the top.

alphajoker
10-06-2008, 04:17 PM
The kid can play...he has definitely been one of the few positives of this winless season to date.

kiwitexansfan
10-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Gotta love Slaton. Only rookie with 2 40+ yard runs. Also no fumbles!

Keep it up!

When was the last time we had a back break a 40yd run??

Have we ever had 2 40yd runs in a season?

I love having a breakaway back!!:splits:

Vinny
10-06-2008, 05:11 PM
he kinda reminds me of smallish Oiler RB, Allen Pinkett in style and look.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2021/2249161238_ed81f0d2e9_o.jpg

HoustonFrog
10-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I love how he just hits the hole and people. For his size he is laying a licking most of the time.

stingray
10-06-2008, 05:34 PM
he kinda reminds me of smallish Oiler RB, Allen Pinkett in style and look.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2021/2249161238_ed81f0d2e9_o.jpg

Man, What a flashback. I loved Allen, very solid running back.

Porky
10-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Pretty easy to extrapolate those numbers. Assuming he were to stay on exactly the same path -

1140 rushing yds
400 receiving
1540 total yds

Not bad for a guy getting less than 15 carries a game on avg.

He has exceeded my expectations thus far. He is far more physical than I thought he was. For his size, he gives no quarter and can dish it out as well as take it. He also hasn't fumbled, and has looked solid hanging onto the rock. I hope Green can stay healthy, as we might have a really good tandem IF that happens.

Pinkett is a decent comparison, but isn't he faster than Pinkett?

Hookem Horns
10-06-2008, 05:41 PM
The only one we need to compare him to right now is Reggie Bush. Is this guy going to be a better NFL back than Reggie Bush?

Vinny
10-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Pinkett is a decent comparison, but isn't he faster than Pinkett?
Probably a little bit. Pinkett was a bit thicker too.

Texan_Bill
10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Allan Pinkett listed at 5'-9" and 190 lbs Link: Allen Pinkett (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PinkAl00.htm?redir)

Steve Slaton listed at 5'-9" and 197 lbs Link: Steve Slaton (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SlatSt00.htm)

Thorn
10-06-2008, 06:21 PM
The only one we need to compare him to right now is Reggie Bush. Is this guy going to be a better NFL back than Reggie Bush?

2008 so far

Reggie Bush
Rushing - 183 yrds, 3.5 avg per carry, 0 TD
Receiving - 31 catches, 257 yrds, 2 Tds,
1 fumble

Steve Slaton
Rushing - 285 yds, 5.0 avg per carry, 3 Tds
Receiving - 16 catches, 100 yrds, 1 TD
0 fumbles

TheRealJoker
10-06-2008, 06:30 PM
2008 so far

Reggie Bush
1 fumble

Steve Slaton
0 fumbles

Reggie's first 4 games of his rookie season:

http://www.nfl.com/players/reggiebush/gamelogs?id=BUS294963&season=2006

Rushing - 147 yrds, 3.3 ypc, 0 TD
Receiving - 23 catches, 187 yrds, 0 TD
1 fumble

kiwitexansfan
10-06-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm too lazy to go to the stats, but Reggie also hadn't had a run over 20yds up till this year.

kiwitexansfan
10-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Just looking through the stats on HT.com and the longest rush in HT history was 51 yards by DD/DW.

He also had rushes of 40yds+ in most the seasons he played.

Darius Walker also has had a rush over 40yds once.

So that makes three Texans to do it.

I think Slaton is definately the most dynamic back we have ever had, given all this has happened in just 5 games.

buddyboy
10-06-2008, 07:26 PM

1 fumble

We as Texan fans love comparing our players against Reggie Bush, and I by no means am a Reggie lover, completely the opposite actually, but I do think it's kind of...sad? strange? immature? that we constantly compare Bush with how our players are doing. How about comparing how they're doing against the best in the league? We should be concerned with if they're on top, not whether they're better than some player we passed on a couple of years ago.

Just my 2 cents

ATXtexanfan
10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
does anyone know if slaton has an arm? any pass attempts at WV?

Corrosion
10-06-2008, 08:05 PM

1 fumble

You forgot to mention his $54 Million contract

superdave532
10-06-2008, 08:29 PM
He's exceeded my expectations so far.

I'll eat crow. I thought he was Reggie Bush Jr with a lower salary.

He's easily a better running back than Bush.

my thoughts exactly, i was not happy at all when they picked him. he sure stuffed my foot in my mouth though. i'd take him over bush any day, he doesn't dance behind the line when he's running between the tackles, he just hits the holes and bounces off people.

Scooter
10-06-2008, 08:32 PM
We as Texan fans love comparing our players against Reggie Bush, and I by no means am a Reggie lover, completely the opposite actually, but I do think it's kind of...sad? strange? immature? that we constantly compare Bush with how our players are doing. How about comparing how they're doing against the best in the league? We should be concerned with if they're on top, not whether they're better than some player we passed on a couple of years ago.

Just my 2 cents

for all the crap that the team and fans got ... i think it's fair to serve crow as often as we want. mario > reggie. slaton > reggie.

superdave532
10-06-2008, 08:34 PM

Just my 2 cents

i feel like with all the hatred we had to put up with from the media, most of the rest of the league, and well, the majority of our fanbase, it's only fair that when we get a running back in the third round to outperform a guy everyone else wanted us to take with the first overall pick that we live it up. you gotta admit that was some epic trash talking the texans had to put up with for a while.

Carr Bombed
10-06-2008, 08:41 PM
2008 so far

Reggie Bush
1 fumble

Steve Slaton
0 fumbles

Make that 2 fumbles....LOL

Carr Bombed
10-06-2008, 08:56 PM

Make that 3 fumbles......

Corrosion
10-06-2008, 08:56 PM

Add another fumble to that ....:smiliedance: (Aints got it back tho)

Hervoyel
10-06-2008, 09:18 PM

yep. You nailed it. :howdy:

I always watched DD expecting him to break into the next level. I was looking for his 20 yard bust with him shaking a defender off like he did against Miami in his coming out game in 2003. I never looked for him to break a long one once it became clear that wasn't in his bag of tricks.

Slaton I think can break free and take it down the sideline for 6 almost any time he touches the ball. I think he's everything that Kubiak wanted and more. I think he is going to turn out to be the steal of this draft much like DeMeco was a couple of years ago. In another year, in this offense Slaton will be racking up 1300-1500 yards. I doubt he would do that in most other systems but he's exactly what the Texans (and I guess Bronco's as well) look for (plus he's got way more speed than you usually find in the bargain-back bin).

jus43
10-07-2008, 12:45 AM
does anyone know if slaton has an arm? any pass attempts at WV?

I watched Slaton play in every game @ WVU and never saw him throw a pass. I'm sure he probably could though - it was just never needed in our offense. Considering we only threw the ball 10 times a game while he was here. As a Mountaineer fan I said the day of the draft that the Texans got a steal getting him the in the 3rd round ... and to think, out of high school he was only recruited by Maryland to play DB and only went to WVU because they would give him a *shot*. WVU was the only team to recruit him as a RB and he was 4th string freshman year. Amazing kid.

Carr Bombed
10-07-2008, 01:19 AM
I watched Slaton play in every game @ WVU and never saw him throw a pass. I'm sure he probably could though - it was just never needed in our offense. Considering we only threw the ball 10 times a game while he was here. As a Mountaineer fan I said the day of the draft that the Texans got a steal getting him the in the 3rd round ... and to think, out of high school he was only recruited by Maryland to play DB and only went to WVU because they would give him a *shot*. WVU was the only team to recruit him as a RB and he was 4th string freshman year. Amazing kid.

Sounds like a kid that has always been overlooked and underestimated..... always had to prove his worth/ability and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I like those kinda football players.

David_Carr
10-07-2008, 01:30 AM
First, I LOVE Slaton.....I'm stoked about him. I'm excited about his future here.

IMAGINE if the Texans had Slaton (cheap) AND Bush....for a moment, imagine that.

Exactly.

Slaton AND Bush?

Wow.

Instead...They'll rely on Ahman Green (week to week) and Chris Taylor. Daydream for a moment about the dynamic of scheming against Bush and Slaton...while sliding Bush to the slot.

/Passing on Reggie will haunt the Texans for a decade. It's time to start seeking a silver lining and utilize it.

Carr Bombed
10-07-2008, 01:52 AM
/Passing on Reggie will haunt the Texans for a decade.

How? Do you realize how hard it is to find a DE as dominate as Mario? We already found a player like Bush in the 3rd round.....tell me the # of DEs that can be had out there of Mario's caliber"

The passing of Bush won't do crap, the passing of Mario would do nothing but make Weaver possibly our best DE.......and that is downright scary.

Newsflash little buddy.........if the Texans take Reggie they don't have Mario Williams.....OR Steve Slaton...........Steve Slaton was drafted to fill the "Reggie Bush role" in our offense and he's doing a great job. I mean name me a team that has two RBs at the top of their depth chart that are around 200lbs.... If anything the Texans need a banger.....a Marion the barbarian type of back, not Reggie Bush.

Scooter
10-07-2008, 01:58 AM
and bush my foot. if he were here at slaton's salary i'd consider it a good deal to play as slaton's backup. he's a more complete dante hall who's had an offense built around his hype. incase you missed it though, slaton's twice the runningback, and would be a mirror image receiver and returner. domanick davis was a dumpoff machine too.

and dont bring the passing on reggie into this. 31 coaches right now would take mario in a landslide. we got hakeem ... jordan wasnt available for the 06 draft.

Carr Bombed
10-07-2008, 02:10 AM
we got hakeem ... jordan wasnt available for the 06 draft.

Reggie Bush is Harold Minor (funny also came from...you guessed it...USC) in this comparison......I mean I can fault the texans for doing 20 other things during their draft history, before I even get to Bush.....the passing of Bush actually goes on the plus side of the Texans draft moves.

DiehardChris
10-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Reggie Bush is Eric Metcalf, but drafted #2 overall. The only reason the Saints even still give him carries as a RB is to save face for Reggie. What's his average - under 3 yards per carry? He's a soft, contact-avoiding, taunting, Subway-eating a-hole... but he's an amazing punt returner, no doubt.

If the Texans had the draft to do over a thousand times, they would take Mario a thousand times, and so would I.

Carr Bombed
10-07-2008, 02:20 AM
... but he's an amazing punt returner, no doubt.

Harold Miner was a incredible dunker, but never lived up to the expectations of the next jordan.......sounds familiar.....sayers/barry. Look Reggie Bush is a good player, but at #2 in the draft he was a wash, the fact that fans would take Slaton over him as a runner just 4 games into his rookie career should tell you all you need to know.

Reggie Bush is exciting and great hype.....he makes plays sometimes, the other times he barely makes a difference.

Malloy
10-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Slaton deserves all the praise he can get. Not only is he grinding out the yards and forcing defences to take him seriously, but he also holds on to the ball which is a pretty nice thing :)

That being said, I was very pleased to see Green on the field (upright, moving forward!) against the Colts. If he could only stay healthy he, combined with Slaton, would be a force to recon with in the backfield. What surprised me most about Green is that he has a real nice burst through the hole, and on more than one run he were one tackle away from breaking the big one.

If both stay healthy these two guys will win us games this year.

BigBull17
10-07-2008, 07:17 AM
I would like to have a power back as a change of pace, but Slaton has brought the goods so far. I kept saying in pre season he is going to be our no 1 when its all said and done. I thought it might be mid season before that happened, but talent always rises to the top.

That, 2 safties, a CB, 2 OLB's, and a rush end are all we need in the draft... Maybe a guard or two..., Ok, maybe a DT... and Center... and Qb... yikes...

GuerillaBlack
10-07-2008, 07:43 AM
That, 2 safties, a CB, 2 OLB's, and a rush end are all we need in the draft... Maybe a guard or two..., Ok, maybe a DT... and Center... and Qb... yikes...

We don't need a QB in the draft. Just another stud safety or CB in the draft. Maybe a DT, too.

Thorn
10-07-2008, 07:47 AM
We don't need a QB in the draft. Just another stud safety or CB in the draft. Maybe a DT, too.

I think we should get a QB in the middle to late rounds to start grooming up. But this time keep him, at least on the practice squad, if he shows some stuff and is trainable. I'm wasn't sad to see Brink leave, but I thought we should have hung onto Boyd. Although I'm not sure that Boyd had any practice squad eligability left to him.

10-07-2008, 09:01 AM
i loved the pick when we made it, and i love it even more now. slaton is easily the best back we've ever had here... all we need now is a power back in the second round (hopefully james davis), and i'll be very satisfied with the RB position. green looked suprisingly explosive on sunday.

GP
10-07-2008, 10:24 AM
What has impressed me the most is that Slaton is picking up the blitz and solidly blocking his man.

He missed a block on a blitzer vs. the Jags...but I think his real assignment on that play was to release out of the backfield and be a safety valve for Schaub...Slaton tried to jump back into the path of the defender, but it was too late.

Other than that one play, have you seen Slaton allow a defender a clean path to the QB? I can't recall a play where it happened.

Slaton is doing well in all phases of thegame: Protecting the ball, making runs count when he has the opportunity, and providing effective blocking for the QB.

I've ragged Kubiak for his gambling ways on how he drafts RBs...but I think he found one, by golly.

BigBull17
10-07-2008, 11:16 AM

How could you not spend a 3rd to 4th round pick on a QB, just in case? We arent soooo locked in with a starter that you dont even bother looking at one.

GP
10-07-2008, 01:54 PM
How could you not spend a 3rd to 4th round pick on a QB, just in case? We arent soooo locked in with a starter.back up that you dont even bother looking at one.

With where we are at, in terms of needing MORE defensive help than we even thought we needed, I would be in the same camp which says we don't go QB in the draft unless we are drafting really high in the first round and there is just a phenomenal young QB who is grading out very well.

I don't like Schaub NOR Sage right now. But you look at our defense, and it's just about 3 or 4 really gifted players away from being able to lock down other teams. Especially when I feel we'll have a new, and better DC at the controls in 2009. It hinges upon THAT, by the way.

We're really hurting in the secondary. If we could clamp down on two DBs and another safety in rounds 1-3, I'd be very happy. I'm not a fan of paying for free agent DBs...the history there, league-wide, is not very encouraging. Free agent DBs are making big bills and aren't really worth it, in the end, IMO.

Bennett is going to make it. I think he's hitting a sophomore slump, but I still like his physicality and overall promise as a keeper. Dunta is so iffy right now, we might as well as admit we need another DB on his side, in his spot.

Safety is an issue. Always has been. Demps had been holding it down, but now he's looking average once again.

Our dline and LBs are holding ground, though. It's the secondary that I think needs to be addressed in the next draft. My goodness, if we can return our oline, QBs (ugghh), Slaton, and our WRs and TEs...we're doing fine on offense IMO. It's that dadgum secondary that is needing some help.

Just my two cents. I can't see us going QB until really late in the draft.

Polo
10-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Isn't Brink still on the PS ?

HOU-TEX
10-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Isn't Brink still on the PS ?

No, we don't have any QB's on the PS.

BigBull17
10-07-2008, 03:27 PM
With where we are at, in terms of needing MORE defensive help than we even thought we needed, I would be in the same camp which says we don't go QB in the draft unless we are drafting really high in the first round and there is just a phenomenal young QB who is grading out very well.

I don't like Schaub NOR Sage right now. But you look at our defense, and it's just about 3 or 4 really gifted players away from being able to lock down other teams. Especially when I feel we'll have a new, and better DC at the controls in 2009. It hinges upon THAT, by the way.

We're really hurting in the secondary. If we could clamp down on two DBs and another safety in rounds 1-3, I'd be very happy. I'm not a fan of paying for free agent DBs...the history there, league-wide, is not very encouraging. Free agent DBs are making big bills and aren't really worth it, in the end, IMO.

Bennett is going to make it. I think he's hitting a sophomore slump, but I still like his physicality and overall promise as a keeper. Dunta is so iffy right now, we might as well as admit we need another DB on his side, in his spot.

Safety is an issue. Always has been. Demps had been holding it down, but now he's looking average once again.

Our dline and LBs are holding ground, though. It's the secondary that I think needs to be addressed in the next draft. My goodness, if we can return our oline, QBs (ugghh), Slaton, and our WRs and TEs...we're doing fine on offense IMO. It's that dadgum secondary that is needing some help.

Just my two cents. I can't see us going QB until really late in the draft.

Yeah, but if Schaub doesnt do it for you the rest of the year, you have to look into a guy for the future. You dont spend 7th rounders on those guys. People will want a sign that the team is trying to correct mistakes, so you gotta spend a moderate pick on the guy.

GP
10-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah, but if Schaub doesnt do it for you the rest of the year, you have to look into a guy for the future. You dont spend 7th rounders on those guys. People will want a sign that the team is trying to correct mistakes, so you gotta spend a moderate pick on the guy.

From what I have seen of how McNair does business...

Schaub will be back for another year.

He will work out because this whole franchise is ridiculously committed to proving that it made a wise investment of two 2nd round draft picks. Only an injury would necessitate the drafting of a high-round QB.

After Sunday's performance, Sage is probably not going to be a Texan next year. But, again, injuries could be a factor.

Kubiak is either really a cool cucumber under all this pressure, or he's putting on a real clinic in terms of showing a poker face to the media during his pressers and media interviews.

It doesn't sound like the team is really dwelling on what happened.

It doesn't excuse Sage's mistakes, don't get me wrong. And I know the players were hurt. But reality is a _____. And that reality is this: Game's over, it's done. Next up: Miami.

Schaub, healthy, will be the QB next year.

b0ng
10-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Sage will be a Texan next year unless some team offers up a ridiculous amount of money to him. He's still a decent backup who can win some games for you if he has to fill in for a stretch.

Slaton is a dream come true. Him and Chris Johnson seem to be the best RB's out of the entire class.

David_Carr
10-07-2008, 06:25 PM
How? Do you realize how hard it is to find a DE as dominate as Mario? We already found a player like Bush in the 3rd round.....tell me the # of DEs that can be had out there of Mario's caliber"

The passing of Bush won't do crap, the passing of Mario would do nothing but make Weaver possibly our best DE.......and that is downright scary.

Newsflash little buddy.........if the Texans take Reggie they don't have Mario Williams.....OR Steve Slaton...........Steve Slaton was drafted to fill the "Reggie Bush role" in our offense and he's doing a great job. I mean name me a team that has two RBs at the top of their depth chart that are around 200lbs.... If anything the Texans need a banger.....a Marion the barbarian type of back, not Reggie Bush.

Uhhhh...dominant? Eventually it could happen. To say that right now is silly. I'll continue to evaluate him week to week without the Texans colored glasses on.

If the Texans take Bush, they don't have Mario. Thanks for the newsflash, I hadn't quite figured that out just yet. And obviously, I'm PERFECTLY content with that.

Passing on Bush has ALREADY set this team back. They've had to allocate additional D-Line picks to prop up Williams, they are just now developing an offensive weapon that isn't named Andre Johnson, they still have no return game (fingers crossed Jacoby, please be the guy) and the franchise is a national embarassment with ZERO national exposure.

I travel the country for a living and everywhere I go, everyone I know, is familiar with the fact I'm a die-hard Texan fan. The ribbing I take at the expense of whoever's decision it was to pass on Bush is never ending.

And they're right...so far.

/"Little Buddy"? Do we know eachother? Are you at the tailgate or in the BullPen?

GuerillaBlack
10-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Uhhhh...dominant? Eventually it could happen. To say that right now is silly. I'll continue to evaluate him week to week without the Texans colored glasses on.

If the Texans take Bush, they don't have Mario. Thanks for the newsflash, I hadn't quite figured that out just yet. And obviously, I'm PERFECTLY content with that.

Passing on Bush has ALREADY set this team back. They've had to allocate additional D-Line picks to prop up Williams, they are just now developing an offensive weapon that isn't named Andre Johnson, they still have no return game (fingers crossed Jacoby, please be the guy) and the franchise is a national embarassment with ZERO national exposure.

I travel the country for a living and everywhere I go, everyone I know, is familiar with the fact I'm a die-hard Texan fan. The ribbing I take at the expense of whoever's decision it was to pass on Bush is never ending.

/"Little Buddy"? Do we know eachother? Are you at the tailgate or in the BullPen?

I gave you a chance until there.

J-Russ
10-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Slaton deserves all the praise he can get. Not only is he grinding out the yards and forcing defences to take him seriously, but he also holds on to the ball which is a pretty nice thing :)

That being said, I was very pleased to see Green on the field (upright, moving forward!) against the Colts. If he could only stay healthy he, combined with Slaton, would be a force to recon with in the backfield. What surprised me most about Green is that he has a real nice burst through the hole, and on more than one run he were one tackle away from breaking the big one.

If both stay healthy these two guys will win us games this year.

I agreed. They looked like a pretty formidable duo on Sunday. But I don't think we can count on Green to stay healthy for rest of the season, much less for back to back games. I think we should go after Kenny Watson (http://www.nfl.com/players/kennywatson/profile?id=WAT450800), who the Bengals just waived, as an insurance policy, incase Green ends up in the injury report... again.

HJam72
10-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Shshshshshsh! The Carr's are arguing. :popcorn:

Carr Bombed
10-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I gave you a chance until there.

I gave him a chance until I saw........."David Carr".

If he doesn't think Mario is a dominant DE I would really love to hear his definition of a dominant DE.

Thorn
10-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I agreed. They looked like a pretty formidable duo on Sunday. But I don't think we can count on Green to stay healthy for rest of the season, much less for back to back games. I think we should go after Kenny Watson (http://www.nfl.com/players/kennywatson/profile?id=WAT450800), who the Bengals just waived, as an insurance policy, incase Green ends up in the injury report... again.

I don't think we can count on Green every game either, but damn, if he does stay healthy him and Slaton in the backfield, our recievers, and a QB that makes good decisions, that would rack up some wins.

Carr Bombed
10-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Shshshshshsh! The Carr's are arguing. :popcorn:

Nah, I'm not going to argue with him.....it aint worth my time. I mean his name is David Carr.......and he's ranting on and on about Reggie Bush..Must be a cali connection somewhere.

David_Carr
10-07-2008, 06:53 PM
I gave him a chance until I saw........."David Carr".

If he doesn't think Mario is a dominant DE I would really love to hear his definition of a dominant DE.

I'm not seeking "chances". Most of the daily contributors here know me personally and are familiar with my opinions since 2001.

Pull up the stats for the last 36 games and make a case that he's dominant. I'll counter back with how many plays he's been completely shoved out of over the same period of time.

I firmly agree he could eventually become dominant...it could happen sometime this year...the point I was making, that you artfully dodged, was that taking him and passing on Bush set this franchise back years.

/Flame on.

b0ng
10-07-2008, 06:58 PM
I firmly agree he could eventually become dominant...it could happen sometime this year...the point I was making, that you artfully dodged, was that taking him and passing on Bush set this franchise back years.

/Flame on.

Okay, no dodging here, taking Bush as the #1 pick and giving him that much money would have set the franchise back way more than not picking him did (Which it didn't at all).

Feel free to try to refute this as Reggie Bush is not a true running back (Just ask Saints fans).

David_Carr
10-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Okay, no dodging here, taking Bush as the #1 pick and giving him that much money would have set the franchise back way more than not picking him did (Which it didn't at all).

Feel free to try to refute this as Reggie Bush is not a true running back (Just ask Saints fans).

The difference between Mario's contract and Reggie's contract has beenwasted on several free agents that haven't panned out. The difference in Bob McNairs wallet between marketing Reggie or Mario widens that Gulf.

Reggie Bush is not a true running back. He's a weapon. Hence, my original post that the Texans STILL would have drafted Slaton and the Texans would have both of them...a dynamic playmaking force to couple with Johnson.

Carr Bombed
10-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm not seeking "chances". Most of the daily contributors here know me personally and are familiar with my opinions since 2001.

Pull up the stats for the last 36 games and make a case that he's dominant. I'll counter back with how many plays he's been completely shoved out of over the same period of time.

/Flame on.

I didn't dodge the point, I simply didn't take it serious, because it's absolutely laughable........you can have Reggie, I'll take Drew Brees.......you know the player that really semi-turned that franchise around.

Also Mario is dominant, the light came on last season and it's carrying over this season. He's equally skilled at stopping both the run and the pass (not many pass rushers can do both).

Also I really don't think you want to play the "Pull up the stats for the last 36 games and make a case that he's dominant." card, because if I reverse that on you and ask you to do the same for your boy Reggie you'll be embarrassed.

The drafting of Mario (thus passing of Reggie) did not "set this franchise back years", the drafting of David Carr and hiring crappy NFL coaches did that......drafting Reggie Bush would've only further added to it. Our defense has 5 sacks right now.........Mario has 4 of those. Our offense doesn't have a problem scoring the ball, passing the ball, or running the ball right now......passing up Reggie didn't do crap.

You can travel the country and take all the flack that you allow yourself to take and it still won't change the facts with the situation. Unlike you I don't let people around the country influence my opinions.........I just laugh in their face and then write them off as mindless sheep lead by BSPN.

b0ng
10-07-2008, 07:09 PM
The difference between Mario's contract and Reggie's contract has beenwasted on several free agents that haven't panned out. The difference in Bob McNairs wallet between marketing Reggie or Mario widens that Gulf.

The fact that Mario has played his position that he was drafted for and does it well is the big difference. If Bush could be a running back that got yards on the ground in running situations as well as catch out of the backfield then yes you might have a point.

But he doesn't so you don't.

Reggie Bush is not a true running back. He's a weapon. Hence, my original post that the Texans STILL would have drafted Slaton and the Texans would have both of them...a dynamic playmaking force to couple with Johnson.

Reggie Bush can make plays as long as he is lined up wide or in the slot. He is not a playmaker when the play is any sort of running play. You are off your rocker if you think a guy who has only this season done anything of note is better off than a guy who is considered one of the top 5 at his position in the NFL.

David_Carr
10-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I didn't dodge the point, I simply didn't take it serious, because it's absolutely laughable........you can have Reggie, I'll take Drew Brees.......you know the player that really semi-turned that franchise around.

Also Mario is dominant, the light came on last season and it's carrying over this season. He's equally skilled at stopping both the run and the pass (not many pass rushers can do both).

Also I really don't think you want to play the "Pull up the stats for the last 36 games and make a case that he's dominant." card, because if I reverse that on you and ask you to do the same for your boy Reggie you'll be embarrassed.

The drafting of Mario (thus passing of Reggie) did not "set this franchise back years", the drafting of David Carr and hiring crappy NFL coaches did that......drafting Reggie Bush would've only further added to it. Our defense has 5 sacks right now.........Mario has 4 of those. Our offense doesn't have a problem scoring the ball, passing the ball, or running the ball right now......passing up Reggie didn't do crap.

You can travel the country and take all the flack that you allow yourself to take and it still won't change the facts with the situation. Unlike you I don't let people around the country influence my opinions.

Drew Brees is fantastic with or without Bush/Tomlinson. Mario has shown flashes of "turning the corner" since midway last year. He's also reliably inconsistent.

I'm please to pull up Bush's numbers...including starting in the NFC championship game and having a down sophmore year. Payton figured out the most effective way to utilize his talent now and the sky is the limit.

David Carr/Capers/Casserly indeed set the franchise back...Bush was the chance to redirect it...and they missed it.

NOBODY influences my opinion. I recognize...I REALLY do, the want and need to grasp anything positive and cling to it. It looks like Mario is turning a corner. There are worse things to do than to clutch at his "dominance" and shout it out...unfortunately, it just isn't true yet. Again, eventually and maybe even this season, it will become reality, but stating that now is just wish and want.

Carr Bombed
10-07-2008, 07:17 PM
If Mario is a "inconsistent DE"........every damn DE in the NFL is inconsistent . you can't get to the damn QB on every snap/every game.....especially when your being doubled and chipped all the damn time.

You really making a fool out of yourself here.

Anyways I got to cut this short because my Rockets (a team that will win more then they'll lose this year) game is coming on......I'm sure I'll have plenty of funny stuff to read at 10:00.

GuerillaBlack
10-07-2008, 07:22 PM
If Mario is a "inconsistent DE"........every damn DE in the NFL is inconsistent . you can't get to the damn QB on every snap/every game.....especially when your being doubled and chipped all the damn time.

You really making a fool out of yourself here.

Anyways I got to cut this short because my Rockets (a team that will win more then they'll lose this year) game is coming on......I'm sure I'll have plenty of funny stuff to read at 10:00.

Don't forget, everything isn't about sacks. Pressure to the QB, clogging up running lanes, etc. And yes, Rockets game coming on. I'm having them on the computer and the debate on the tele.

David_Carr
10-07-2008, 07:23 PM
The fact that Mario has played his position that he was drafted for and does it well is the big difference. If Bush could be a running back that got yards on the ground in running situations as well as catch out of the backfield then yes you might have a point.

But he doesn't so you don't.

Reggie Bush can make plays as long as he is lined up wide or in the slot. He is not a playmaker when the play is any sort of running play. You are off your rocker if you think a guy who has only this season done anything of note is better off than a guy who is considered one of the top 5 at his position in the NFL.

Well, considering that the Texans moved Mario all over the line trying to find him a place and as recently as the Pittsburgh game were dropping him into coverage would implode that arguement...in addition to the fact that the Saints already had a reliable back in Deuce when they drafted Bush.

So I do.

Reggie is a weapon. He wasn't lined up too awful far out in the slot on his two TD runs last night...or his TD in the NFC Championship game.

Discounting Bush's rookie year is disingenuos. Bush had a solid rookie campaign and Mario was garbage. Mario had a solid sophmore campaign and Bush was garbage. This season, they are all square to date.

You can make the arguement that moving Mario all over the line hurt his rookie season. You can make the arguement that trying to use Bush as Christian Okoye last year when Deuce went down hurt his sophmore season.

Reggie has produced more on the field to help his team be in a position to win than Williams has. Granted, he actually gets the ball and scores points and is versatile, but that's not his fault.

J-Russ
10-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Discounting Bush's rookie year is disingenuos. Bush had a solid rookie campaign and Mario was garbage. Mario had a solid sophmore campaign and Bush was garbage. This season, they are all square to date.

What are you talking about? Bush had a decent rookie season.. ok I'll give you that. Mario had a sub-par rookie season due to injuries, but went on to have a all-pro type next season, while Bush falters in his 2nd year. This year Mario continues to light it up, and Bush still show no signs of improvement after three years.

b0ng
10-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Well, considering that the Texans moved Mario all over the line trying to find him a place and as recently as the Pittsburgh game were dropping him into coverage would implode that arguement...in addition to the fact that the Saints already had a reliable back in Deuce when they drafted Bush.

So I do.

Reggie is a weapon. He wasn't lined up too awful far out in the slot on his two TD runs last night...or his TD in the NFC Championship game.

You can make the arguement that moving Mario all over the line hurt his rookie season. You can make the arguement that trying to use Bush as Christian Okoye last year when Deuce went down hurt his sophmore season.

Reggie has produced more on the field to help his team be in a position to win than Williams has. Granted, he actually gets the ball and scores points and is versatile, but that's not his fault.

You absolutely have no idea what you are talking about. Reggie Bush wasn't even the best rookie on his team. On top of the fact that the Saints went the NFCCG basically on Drew Brees, Deuce McCallister and Marques Colston. Bush can't run the ball well. He doesn't do it. He flat out, cannot run the ball enough to be a feature back. He can't do it. Therefore, you still have no point. Just because the Saints had success for one whole year, and Bush still was mediocre at best doesn't mean he was worth that pick.

Face it, Bush was the wrong pick, everybody just about got it wrong except for the people picking. There is no way on earth that you can convince anybody other than Mel Kiper Jr of this thinking. Your points are grasping at straws at best. Come back when Reggie Bush is even thought about when it comes to accolades due to their performance on the field. Even this year the most he's done so far is returned 2 punts for TD's. Kevin Walter is a better weapon in the passing game, and Steve Slaton is a better weapon in the running game. About the best Bush could hope to be on this Texans squad is punt returner. That's it.

So yeah, I'm still sticking with the fact that Bush didn't set anything in Texas back when he was drafted.

Thorn
10-07-2008, 07:30 PM

Mario is great and Reggie sucks. You wanna know why I think that? Mario is a Texan and Reggie isn't, and that's all I need to know.

Besides, Slaton is doing as well or better than Reggie Bush anyway at about a tenth of the price.

Mari-OWNED!
10-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Reggie has produced more on the field to help his team be in a position to win than Williams has.

This is just a brain dead statement. Comparing an offensive player to a defensive player is like comparing apples and bananas.

stingray
10-07-2008, 07:44 PM
This is just a brain dead statement. Comparing an offensive player to a defensive player is like comparing apples and bananas.

Well, his name is David_Carr

wolf123
10-07-2008, 08:06 PM

So I do.

I don't know one other person who would rather have bush then mario. They even had a panel on outside the lines and nfl live and everyone said mario is the better player by a wide margin. Mario wasn't just solid his sophmore campaign he was one of the best DE in the league!

TheIronDuke
10-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Just seeing a poster with the name David_Carr, using an av with the Astros in their rainbow unis, and talking about how the Texans made a mistake in not drafting Reggie freaking Bush makes me glad that I live in the present. I think y'all are arguing with a ghost or something.

Ryan
10-07-2008, 09:51 PM
On pace to be a 1,000 yd rusher! Great selection by Smithiak!

David_Carr
10-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Just seeing a poster with the name David_Carr, using an av with the Astros in their rainbow unis, and talking about how the Texans made a mistake in not drafting Reggie freaking Bush makes me glad that I live in the present. I think y'all are arguing with a ghost or something.

The username goes back 7 years to the old board before Kevin picked up the slack and gave us this forum. I'll be sure and change my username just for the attack dogs today. (unlikely).

That's Cammy in the middle (as an homage) with Bags and Bidge on the sides. I don't understand how you can't (won't) get behind that. It took the 'Stros 18 years to make the playoffs in '80 and then another 11 to get back after the '86 NLCS.

Sometimes...regretably...it takes time.

/The ghost comment was ironic. Mario is nicknamed "Casper" for a reason, because of how quickly he usually disappears in a game after making a single play.

Carr Bombed
10-07-2008, 11:26 PM
So I guess Freeney, Peppers, and Allen are his Ahole uncles? Well atleast we got the friendly one.

David_Carr
10-07-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't know one other person who would rather have bush then mario. They even had a panel on outside the lines and nfl live and everyone said mario is the better player by a wide margin. Mario wasn't just solid his sophmore campaign he was one of the best DE in the league!

Then you should likely chat with some folks that either are not Texan fans or get out of state.

Go back and pull up Mario's numbers from the first half of last season...

David_Carr
10-07-2008, 11:32 PM
What are you talking about? Bush had a decent rookie season.. ok I'll give you that. Mario had a sub-par rookie season due to injuries, but went on to have a all-pro type next season, while Bush falters in his 2nd year. This year Mario continues to light it up, and Bush still show no signs of improvement after three years.

Seriously?

We agree to a point, but insinuating that Bush hasn't been the focal point of the Saints offense this season is not anywhere near accurate.

He IS the Saints offense this year to date.

/AND special teams

Ole Miss Texan
10-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Slaton is awesome.

Reggie Bush thread is here in the NFL section -> http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54307

b0ng
10-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Ken caminiti is a steroid eating assbag. Reggie bush is as much the focal point of the Saints offense as much as billy miller is. There is no way that you are seriously making these comments without the intention of trolling unless you have a metal object stuck in your brain.

See how easy it is just to spew garbage that unsubstantiated and uninformed? Don't think your the first to pull that clever little stunt. Also, you can go on your own time and ask other teams messageboards who they would rather have and come back with some statistics.

J-Russ
10-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Slaton is nflplayer.com rookie of the week.

Slaton admits he has a sizeable chip on his shoulder after falling into the third round of the April draft (89th overall) to the Houston Texans. Now out to show that he can be a starting running back in the league, that mindset helped Slaton have another strong game on his way to Rookie of the Week honors from NFLPLAYERS.COM.

http://www.nflplayers.com/user/content.aspx?fmid=178&lmid=443&pid=2207

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4723

10-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Ken caminiti is a steroid eating assbag.

he's been dead almost three years now... geez.

GP
10-08-2008, 05:31 PM
The username goes back 7 years to the old board before Kevin picked up the slack and gave us this forum. I'll be sure and change my username just for the attack dogs today. (unlikely).

That's Cammy in the middle (as an homage) with Bags and Bidge on the sides. I don't understand how you can't (won't) get behind that. It took the 'Stros 18 years to make the playoffs in '80 and then another 11 to get back after the '86 NLCS.

Sometimes...regretably...it takes time.

/The ghost comment was ironic. Mario is nicknamed "Casper" for a reason, because of how quickly he usually disappears in a game after making a single play.

He is doing his job. Reggie is doing his job. Vince is...well, he isn't.

I have no problem admitting that Reggie Bush can make a play or two, but building up a straw man (Mario) and burning him down, when it's clear Mario is not some big bust as he was predicted to be, is absurd.

This isn't deathmatch, where Mario and Reggie square off and see which one lives and which one dies. Good grief, this is like 3rd grade when we argued whether G.I. Joe could beat He-Man.

Here's something to ponder: Maybe they can both be good? GASP! Is it possible? Or do we have to have a HIghlander mindset where "only ONE can remain"?

:splits:

buddyboy
10-08-2008, 06:01 PM

During his rookie year, they moved MW up and down the line to find him a place. Last year, they found that place and mostly kept him there. And now? He's a "weapon", just like you say Bush is. They're obviously not just trying to find him his place anymore, they're moving him around to throw off the offense, to take advantage of matchups, and as for the dropping him into coverage? Well, you can put that on our brilliant DC, who drops DEs (not just Mario) into coverage like it's going out of style.

Jackie Chiles
10-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I think Reggie has stepped up his game this year but there is no way I would take him over Mario for the present or future of this franchise. I am very curious to know how many DEs in the league right now you think are playing better than Mario. Also, I read some other NFL General message boards from time to time and from what I see the very large majority of people around the country feel like we absolutely got that pick right.

leebigeztx
10-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Since the thread is wreked, I'll stand with my original thought about the Bush. Bush is Eric Metcal. He's a satellite players that if u get in space, he can make plays. Cleveland had problems trying to get metcalf in his career. They trries big back small back combo like the saints. He was a great slashing runner, light in the pants, really god receiver, and dangerous return man, ask pittsburgh. After they got tired oftrying to make him a nfl rb, Atlanta used him as a run and shoot receiver andhe had 1000 yds. That's Reggie Bush.Up until now, he hadn't even proved to be a good return man. Devin Hester is the same kind of guy who make the same if not more plays. Kubiak never had a guyy like him so why would he experiment with his 1st coaching job. Looking at it, it was the right decision. Kubes want a back he can turn and hand the ball to and get tough yard. Slaton seems to be that guy. Mario is a dominant,turn the protection type de. Those guys are paid 2nd only to qb's. If salary is anyindication of importance, qb's,rde,lt,cb,wr,,rb is the pecking order. Even a guy like LJ coming off a geat yr got 10m less than allen. Guys like Bush aren't franchise players. He's no LT,Faulk, or even westbrook. He's a glorified 3rd down back whom the media loves. That's it.

David_Carr
10-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Ken caminiti is a steroid eating assbag. Reggie bush is as much the focal point of the Saints offense as much as billy miller is. There is no way that you are seriously making these comments without the intention of trolling unless you have a metal object stuck in your brain.

See how easy it is just to spew garbage that unsubstantiated and uninformed? Don't think your the first to pull that clever little stunt. Also, you can go on your own time and ask other teams messageboards who they would rather have and come back with some statistics.

Should I? Should I?....I won't.

I'll let the post compounder go. I get it, I had several thousand posts here once too.

/Anyone actually read the above quoted post word-for-word? (too funny)

//I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the tailgate Sunday!

Honoring Earl 34
10-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Seriously?

We agree to a point, but insinuating that Bush hasn't been the focal point of the Saints offense this season is not anywhere near accurate.

/AND special teams

Crack kills .

Carr Bombed
10-10-2008, 12:45 AM
This isn't deathmatch, where Mario and Reggie square off and see which one lives and which one dies. Good grief, this is like 3rd grade when we argued whether G.I. Joe could beat He-Man.

Here's something to ponder: Maybe they can both be good? GASP! Is it possible? Or do we have to have a HIghlander mindset where "only ONE can remain"?

:splits:

I vote for the "deathmatch" where Mario would just physically remove Reggie's head from his body and shove it up his brown eye....as far as weight loss, it be more effective then eating subway every week.

Carr Bombed
10-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Seriously?

/AND special teams

Uh...Brees is the Saints offense, he's the one that spreads the ball.......the only reason why Bush has been a bigger part of the touches is because the, high profile TE, high profile RB, and high profile WR are out......congrats to Bush for being the saviour/4th option.....being 4th in line = #2 ovrl pick, I love your math, it makes the world of sense.

BigBull17
10-10-2008, 07:19 AM

Yeah, cause Slot WR/Punt Returners are worthy of the 1st overall pick... God bless... All he would offer is a face, and maybe a little attention. He is an absolutly awful RB. We dont have the other weapons that dont allow teams to focus on him. Then, you take into account that Mario has 4 of our 5 sacks. And had something like 75% of our sacks last year. What would this defense look like with out him...?

Sal Rosenberg
10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Stevie "Wonder" Slaton?

Vinny
10-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Since the thread is wreked, I'll stand with my original thought about the Bush. Bush is Eric Metcal. He's a satellite players that if u get in space, he can make plays. Cleveland had problems trying to get metcalf in his career. Bush has already proven to be a superior player to Metcalf in his brief career. One reason you always see no name WR's produce with the Saints is because defenses have to keep a man out of your wr coverage and dedicate them to a rb full time. Bush impacts the game on a few levels and makes the players around him better when used properly.

eriadoc
10-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Bush has already proven to be a superior player to Metcalf in his brief career. One reason you always see no name WR's produce with the Saints is because defenses have to keep a man out of your wr coverage and dedicate them to a rb full time. Bush impacts the game on a few levels and makes the players around him better when used properly.

I'm going to have to disagree with that. They're the same player, really. Metcalf caused tons of matchup problems in his career, and he was a real problem for opposing teams on returns. I think people have forgotten how good a player Metcalf was. However, neither of those players are worth a top 5 pick.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MetcEr00.htm

Vinny
10-10-2008, 11:03 AM
It's not like Metcalf was Jabbar Gaffney....Metcalf was a pro bowler.

Sal Rosenberg
10-10-2008, 01:06 PM
What about Drew Brees?

WesmanTexanfan
10-10-2008, 01:09 PM
We should make a trade for Michael Bush, that would be an excellent 1-2....

Texan_Bill
10-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I think a better comparison to Reggie Bush would be James Brooks (with regards to rushing attempts, pass receptions and returns).

Metcalf in his second and third season had less than 100 rushing attempts, each year.

eriadoc
10-10-2008, 01:18 PM
I think a better comparison to Reggie Bush would be James Brooks (with regards to rushing attempts, pass receptions and returns).

Metcalf in his second and third season had less than 100 rushing attempts, each year.

If I were Bush's coach, he'd have less than 100 rush attempts this year and last. 3.small YPC does not inspire confidence. And I do think that Reggie could approach Metcalf's receiving numbers if he were given the chance. Sure, he gets a lot of catches now, but at 7.4 yards per reception, I'm not impressed.

TexansSeminole
10-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I'd put Bush at receiver. The dude can def play receiver. He's just what your looking for in a receiver.

Texan_Bill
10-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I would move him all over the field but as Eriadoc said, cut his rushing plays back a bunch.

TexansSeminole
10-10-2008, 01:37 PM
If I were Bush's coach, he'd have less than 100 rush attempts this year and last. 3.small YPC does not inspire confidence. And I do think that Reggie could approach Metcalf's receiving numbers if he were given the chance. Sure, he gets a lot of catches now, but at 7.4 yards per reception, I'm not impressed.

Well he has 7.4 yards per reception because of where he is on the field when he catches the ball most of the time. The Saints throw alot of swing passes to him and have him slash up in there, almost like a running play. If he was a slot receiver that number would be alot different. I think they should put Reggie at the slot.

RipTraxx
10-10-2008, 01:45 PM
I'd put Bush at receiver. The dude can def play receiver. He's just what your looking for in a receiver.

I always said Reggie was a receiver that breaks tackles like a running back.

HJam72
10-10-2008, 01:47 PM
I always said Reggie was a receiver that breaks tackles like a 3rd down back.

Fixed that for ya.

Runner
10-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Reggie has six touchdowns this year while helping to open up the field for the rest of his team. That equals the total for all of the Texans RBs and FBs (running and receiving) + Andre Johnson + all of the Texans kick and punt returners.

I'd call that productive even if people don't like seeing him at running back. It is about the whole picture, not how he does in the single facet of between the tackles running.

The Texans could use a player that productive, but in that case I don't think fans here would be denigrating his performance.

ArlingtonTexan
10-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Reggie has six touchdowns this year while helping to open up the field for the rest of his team. That equals the total for all of the Texans RBs and FBs (running and receiving) + Andre Johnson + all of the Texans kick and punt returners.

I'd call that productive even if people don't like seeing him at running back. It is about the whole picture, not how he does in the single facet of between the tackles running.

The Texans could use a player that productive, but in that case I don't think fans here would be denigrating his performance.

The fact Bush isn't very good running between the tackles was discussed at length before he was drafted. I find it funny that he is critized for not doing something that few thought he could do well and were only hoping that he would get better at in the pros. Many people can't get by the name running back when judging him although WR would not be appropriate either.

eriadoc
10-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Well he has 7.4 yards per reception because of where he is on the field when he catches the ball most of the time. The Saints throw alot of swing passes to him and have him slash up in there, almost like a running play. If he was a slot receiver that number would be alot different. I think they should put Reggie at the slot.

I agree with you. The way he's used was entirely my point. Bush could be the best slot WR in the NFL, but he's not used as such.

If they didn't even bother handing him the ball between the tackles, he could be just as effective as he is right now in the other aspects of the game, perhaps moreso. If the Saints lined him up in the slot and treated him like a WR, he'd have a greater impact, I think. He'd still be capable of lining up in the backfield occasionally, and he'd be a great candidate for tosses, HB or WR screens, reverses, or even that Miami wildcat formation. Or really anything they can do to get him in space. They just need to recognize that the between-the-tackles RB experiment has failed and focus on maximizing his potential.

He's still not worth a top 5 pick.

Runner
10-10-2008, 03:20 PM
The point is that having him at RB makes the DBs account for him and frees up the other receivers. Having him at receiver takes the pressure off the D by allowing them to play more convetionally. This is the type of scheming to the team's talents some fans would like to see the Texans do.

Bull Pen 1
10-10-2008, 06:20 PM
When I started reading this post I thought it was about Steve Slaton.

Can someone change the title of the post?

David_Carr
10-10-2008, 11:23 PM
When I started reading this post I thought it was about Steve Slaton.

Can someone change the title of the post?

Preston: for the record...I began by stating that I LOVE Slaton and mentioned how fascinating it would be to have him paired with Bush.

The Mario fan(s) came out of the woodwork to defend him by bashing Bush.

I was VERY careful in my description of Mario. I don't want the "you slammed Mario" accusations on Sunday from the folks. All I posted was that eventually he could be "dominant", but he just isn't quite yet.

Bro', you know I'm looking for a silver lining too, but that's just not accurate.

wolf123
10-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Preston: for the record...I began by stating that I LOVE Slaton and mentioned how fascinating it would be to have him paired with Bush.

The Mario fan(s) came out of the woodwork to defend him by bashing Bush.

I was VERY careful in my description of Mario. I don't want the "you slammed Mario" accusations on Sunday from the folks. All I posted was that eventually he could be "dominant", but he just isn't quite yet.

Bro', you know I'm looking for a silver lining too, but that's just not accurate.

If mario isn't dominate then what defensive ends are? He's a difference maker in the run game and against the pass.

Carr Bombed
10-11-2008, 12:07 AM
If mario isn't dominate then what defensive ends are? He's a difference maker in the run game and against the pass.

The guy obviously doesn't know crap about the DE position......he thinks if Mario isn't getting to the QB every snap he's "taking plays off" or if he doesn't get a sack every game....he's "inconsistent" It's a big joke.

David_Carr
10-11-2008, 12:25 AM
The guy obviously doesn't know crap about the DE position......he thinks if Mario isn't getting to the QB every snap he's "taking plays off" or if he doesn't get a sack every game....he's "inconsistent" It's a big joke.

Yup, that's me. I think he needs to hit the QB every snap.....

/sarcasm

He's inconsistent. Period.

That pushes our disagreement to a loggerhead.

I'll be sure to come back and revisit this discussion directly with you 10 weeks from now. Mario might very well have become dominant by then...or... reverted back to his first 24 game self.

Who knows.

//I'll bow out and allow you the last word in advance of that discussion on this topic...so flame me good, it's an exposed chin kid.

Carr Bombed
10-11-2008, 12:36 AM
4 weeks of football.....4 sacks, right up there in tackles too......with the leaders in the NFL at his position. Which tells me that not only has he been able to get to the QB (despite no other threat on the team to take pressure off of him).......he's also been a complete DE, who can stop the run. Those kinda players are hard to find.........a hellava lot harder to find that a scat receiving back that can put up receiving #s in a spread offense.

TheRealJoker
10-11-2008, 01:01 AM
If Mario is inconsistent then what does that make Reggie?

GNTLEWOLF
10-11-2008, 01:58 AM
I was one of those people who thought we had made a big mistake taking Mario over Bush. That first season, I posted several times claiming that Mario would never be dominant nor worthy of the first overall pick. Even I can see the Texans did the right thing and that Mario is dominant. I also see that Reggie is having a better season this year, but he still would have been the wrong choice.

Dan B.
10-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Anyone curious what Slaton would do as a KR/PR?

I'd submit there may be a new NFL total yards leader.

jerek
10-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Slaton has lived up to my expectations, which were very high of him. I loved his style, skillsets and work ethic and thought they would translate to early (though not this early) success at the pro level.

He has also been a boon to my fantasy team: I drafted him 13th in our league and was pretty proud of that pick, given my general inability to win at fantasy football.

Carr Bombed
10-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Anyone curious what Slaton would do as a KR/PR?

I'd submit there may be a new NFL total yards leader.

Atleast move him to Punt returns........Jacoby Jones completely sucks and doesn't really deserve to be returning right now......he only has one big regular season play returning punts (Colts game last year) and he got hurt at the end of it.

TheRealJoker
10-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Atleast move him to Punt returns........Jacoby Jones completely sucks and doesn't really deserve to be returning right now......he only has one big regular season play returning punts (Colts game last year) and he got hurt at the end of it.

Makes me wonder what could've been had Harry Williams not gotten hurt in the Dallas game. He was clearly our best special teams gunner and would've most certainly won a roster spot. I dont even know if Jacoby would've made the team had Harry not gotten hurt, I remember Kubes said he would have to think "Very hard" about keeping 6 WRs before the Dallas game because of Harry's play.

Needless to say, losing Harry was a huge blow to our special teams as you can see this year.

/rant

J-Russ
10-11-2008, 11:18 AM

If Jacoby suck at PR then Andre Davis must've enter a new level of ineptitude at KR. We should move Jacoby over to KR since he was doing well with the chance he got in pre-season at kick returning.

False Start
10-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I remember watching him pay in College, and I was very impressed. There was one game I watched in which he went off and was looking like the next big thing. I remember telling my brother about him the next day and how I wish the Texans would draft him. Then on draft day we did! I was super stoked, and he has not let me down. Another thing I like about the kid is he wears number 20 like Barry Sanders, that's a good thing. :cool: