View Full Version : Kubiak's 3:30 press conference

Carr Bombed
10-06-2008, 04:30 PM
it's about to start

http://houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=2617&play_clip=Y

tap tap tap tap.

Ole Miss Texan
10-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks, just turned it on. Who the heck is that lady?

J-Russ
10-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I hope I hear Kubiak publicly announcing for Sage to get the heck out of town and never to come back. That should get some applauses from the reporters.

Carr Bombed
10-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Some PR lady, it's amazing how positive they stay.

Carr Bombed
10-06-2008, 04:38 PM
We are such a nice team....too nice.

Mailman
Kubiak looks pissed, let's just hope it's directed at the team and the coaching staff and not the media wanting answers.

bah007
Some PR lady, it's amazing how positive they stay.

That's cuz they get paid no matter what the outcome is.

We don't get our money back if they lose.

mussop
10-06-2008, 04:43 PM
I hope I hear Kubiak publicly announcing for Sage to get the heck out of town and never to come back. That should get some applauses from the reporters.

The guy played his ass off. Its not like he hs a ton of experience starting. I sure hope you arent involved with youth sports. You remind me of some of the coaches I had growing up.

J-Russ
10-06-2008, 04:45 PM
The guy played his ass off. Its not like he hs a ton of experience starting. I sure hope you arent involved with youth sports. You remind me of some of the coaches I had growing up.

What coach would that be? Coaches that likes to win? Yes, I would hope that was the kind of coach you had, who wants to be a loser?

CrosbyTexansFan
10-06-2008, 04:48 PM

What do you expect? Players have been villified in the past for way less.....and actually run out of town for way less...... David Carr????? Was he not run out of town for not protecting the football????

As far as the interview seems to be going......Kubiak is low key, I feel he's putting up a front for the media. I bet practice is centered around one thing this week.........."PROTECT THE FOOTBALL AT ALL COST!".........after that they will likely also work on "PROTECTING THE FOOTBALL!!". THEN........after the players are clear on all that........they may just work a little bit on "PROTECTING THE FOOTBALL"!!!!!!

Texecutioner
10-06-2008, 04:49 PM
What coach would that be? Coaches that likes to win? Yes, I would hope that was the kind of coach you had, who wants to be a loser?

The kind of fans that swear up and down that an 14-22 coach is a winner.

mussop
10-06-2008, 04:53 PM

Ever watch the Bad news bears? The coach of the team that the Bears played in the championship game. Its one thing to be competive but its snother to allow that competitveness to take away youre common sense.

Texan Asylum
10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
.........."PROTECT THE FOOTBALL AT ALL COST!".........

Word!

mussop
10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
The kind of fans that swear up and down that an 14-22 coach is a winner.

Nope not what Im saying at all. Do you think Sage should be run out of town??

J-Russ
10-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Ever watch the Bad news bears? The coach of the team that the Bears played in the championship game. Its one thing to be competive but its snother to allow that competitveness to take away youre common sense.

No, I can't say I have watched that movie before. And if you can't tell the difference between sarcasm and seriousness, then I just don't know how well your senses are. I wouldn't want to just cut Sage right out, I still think some teams out there would toss a 7th rounder for him. 6th if we're lucky.

mussop
10-06-2008, 05:00 PM
No, I can't say I have watched that movie before. And if you can't tell the difference between sarcasm and seriousness, then I just don't know how well your senses are. I wouldn't want to just cut Sage right out, I still think some teams out there would toss a 7th rounder for him. 6th if we're lucky.

Thats what emoticons are for. You should learn how to use them. From reading previous posts of yours I highly doubt you were being sarcastic.

So youre saying you would trade Sage right now for a 6th or 7th rounder??

utahmark
10-06-2008, 05:01 PM

his value didnt drop from that one play. if anything it went up for the 3.5 quarters of good football he played.

Mailman
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
What do you expect? Players have been villified in the past for way less.....and actually run out of town for way less...... David Carr????? Was he not run out of town for not protecting the football????

My gawd this board is difficult to read today.

Kubiak never vilified David Carr or said he wanted to run him out of time, he openly supported him. I cannot believe that some of you actually think the coach should be slamming on the backup quarterback publicly one day after a monumental collapse. A coach's job is to bring out the best in his players and get them to believe in themselves individually and collectively, not trash them in the press. Sage's play yesterday speaks for itself. If Kubiak were to act as foolish as you all are acting today, he'd lose the team immediately. Loyalty is essential.

J-Russ
10-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Thats what emoticons are for. You should learn how to use them. From reading previous posts of yours I highly doubt you were being sarcastic.

So youre saying you would trade Sage right now for a 6th or 7th rounder??

I would, but I'd bet that the other 31 GMs would ROFL at that offer.

oh btw, I'm still being sarcastic. But I would definitely jump on that 3rd, if offered again.

mussop
his value didnt drop from that one play. if anything it went up for the 3.5 quarters of good football he played.

Exactly! That is what I mean by his competitive nature taking over his common sense.

texanhead08
I would have rather Sage pull a Carr and run out of bounds for a sack than putting the ball on the ground to have it scooped up and ran back for a td.

mussop
10-06-2008, 05:04 PM

Kubiak never vilified David Carr or said he wanted to run him out of time, he openly supported him. I cannot believe that some of you actually think the coach should be slamming on the backup quarterback publicly one day after a monumental collapse. A coach's job is to bring out the best in his players and get them to believe in themselves individually and collectively, not trash them in the press. Sage's play yesterday speaks for itself. If Kubiak were to act as foolish as you all are acting today, he'd lose the team immediately. Loyalty is essential.

Yay!!! Common sense prevails!!!!! Yay!!!!

Tedc
10-06-2008, 05:05 PM

Who is your second string QB then? Owen Daniels?

And taking Matt's injury history in account, you would be fired if you were the GM.

There are not a ton of QB's out there right now and Sage is one of the best backups in the league.

mussop
10-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I would, but I'd bet that the other 31 GMs would ROFL at that offer.

oh btw, I'm still being sarcastic. But I would definitely jump on that 3rd, if offered again.

We should of done that last year. But that has nothing to do with yesterday.

Mailman
10-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I would have rather Sage pull a Carr and run out of bounds for a sack than putting the ball on the ground to have it scooped up and ran back for a td.

Nuh uh! You would? Really?

J-Russ
10-06-2008, 05:08 PM

And taking Matt's injury history in account, you would be fired if you were the GM.

There are not a ton of QB's out there right now and Sage is one of the best backups in the league.

omg. I was kidding. I think everyone sarcasm meter has exploded from watching that epic fail game yesterday.

Of course we should wait until the off-season, I just never ever want to start Sage over a healthy Schaub and would dread to see Sage start again. But the first opportunity I get in the off-season, I would jettison his ass out of here.

Yankee_In_TX
10-06-2008, 05:09 PM
As far as the interview seems to be going......Kubiak is low key, I feel he's putting up a front for the media. I bet practice is centered around one thing this week.........."PROTECT THE FOOTBALL AT ALL COST!".........after that they will likely also work on "PROTECTING THE FOOTBALL!!". THEN........after the players are clear on all that........they may just work a little bit on "PROTECTING THE FOOTBALL"!!!!!!

funny, wasn't that the theme of the entire training camp?

Double Barrel
10-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Nobody feels worse about yesterday's debacle than Sage Rosenfels. I have no doubt about that, so I would not expect our head coach to publicly crucify the guy.

In this league, you had better dust yourself off and get back on that horse quick. Do you think the Dolphins give a crap about our last game? They will be here ready to play and wanting a win. We had better be the same way - forgetting this last game - and be ready to go, as well. It's the only way we can possibly win.

Kubiak is not going to dwell on it and today is probably the last he wants to give it too much thought.

CrosbyTexansFan
10-06-2008, 05:14 PM

I never said that Kubiak "villified" Carr........or that Kubiak run Carr out of town........

I simply said Carr was Viilified by fans for not protecting the football.........
He was also dumped because he could not protect the football........And I expect THAT decision was done with agreement and maybe some disagreement between several folks in Texans management. But the final vote came down that Carr was gone and Shaub was in.

Also Carr ws just an example..........MANY other players have been "run out of town" on various teams over the years for screwing up on & off the field for that matter........sometimes over more trivial things than this past Sunday's game.

Shaft75
10-06-2008, 05:17 PM
funny, wasn't that the theme of the entire training camp?

You'll have to forgive the guys for not staring at each other's asses all day long...

HOU-TEX
10-06-2008, 05:18 PM
You'll have to forgive the guys for not staring at each other's asses all day long...

I reckon the QB doesn't have much of a choice. LOL!

will742
Soooo.... can anyone tell us what Kubiak is saying/said?

CrosbyTexansFan

One of the best backups in the league???? Did you see that game Sunday? Sure, Sage has good skills, but mentally, he's scary & undisciplined.

utahmark
10-06-2008, 05:19 PM
has he said anything yet.

texanhead08
10-06-2008, 05:20 PM
If he was told in the walkie talkie which I hope he was not to do anything stupid and then he pulled his helicopter move he should be fined end of story.

CrosbyTexansFan
10-06-2008, 05:20 PM

Not much....he's very "low key" about last Sunday.......says they are focused on next Sunday. Basicly saying the typical "company man" things. Remarkably, the press is not really grilling him too hard either.

mussop
10-06-2008, 05:21 PM
One of the best backups in the league???? Did you see that game Sunday? Sure, Sage has good skills, but mentally, he's scary & undisciplined.

Thats why is a BACKUP. These things can be fixed with coaching and experience.

J-Russ if you were kidding my opologies, I think alot of us are still in shock.

J-Russ
10-06-2008, 05:23 PM

np man. it was a bad loss, and I'm still a little overly upset at sage for his careless mistake.

Mailman
10-06-2008, 05:24 PM

About what you'd expect....lotsa finger-tapping with furrowed brow.

Execution. Just gotta "find a way" to protect the ball. Players are still encouraged about the team's overall performance. Vonta Leach was awesome. Steve Slaton, what more can you say about the kid, he's surprised us with his exceptional play. Defense played very well and the team probably put together its best statistical game in a very long time. He's "very concerned" about Pittman's long snaps.

CrosbyTexansFan
10-06-2008, 05:28 PM

I'd rather have a old nearly retired vet for a backup.......someone who is not out there trying to impress folks for a starting job & making dumb mistakes. Thats the mental part I was speaking of. Starter or back up.........mental mistakes are unacceptable. A vet like I detailed above would be alot less likely to make them. Not only that..old QB's as backups can act as good QB coaches for the new guys in the league.....teaching them things like..........well.........."PROTECTING THE FOOTBALL AT ALL COST".

utahmark
10-06-2008, 05:35 PM
I'd rather have a old nearly retired vet for a backup.......someone who is not out there trying to impress folks for a starting job & making dumb mistakes. Thats the mental part I was speaking of. Starter or back up.........mental mistakes are unacceptable. A vet like I detailed above would be alot less likely to make them. Not only that..old QB's as backups can act as good QB coaches for the new guys in the league.....teaching them things like..........well.........."PROTECTING THE FOOTBALL AT ALL COST".

daunta culpepper or vinny testaverdie.

Rex King
10-06-2008, 05:36 PM
About what you'd expect....lotsa finger-tapping with furrowed brow.

Execution. Just gotta "find a way" to protect the ball. Players are still encouraged about the team's overall performance. Vonta Leach was awesome. Steve Slaton, what more can you say about the kid, he's surprised us with his exceptional play. Defense played very well and the team probably put together its best statistical game in a very long time. He's "very concerned" about Pittman's long snaps.

Oh, no. Please don't tell me he said that word. It's bringing up repressed memories of the Little Black Book and the Fish Mouth.

mussop
10-06-2008, 05:39 PM

Youre preaching to the chior on this. I wanted us to draft Julius Peppers and sign FA Trent Dilfer our opening year. Get a QB later and have Dilfer tutor him and eventually hand over the reigns. I have never been a throw a young QB into the fire kinda guy.

We are stuck with Schaub now but I would of prefered to bring in a seasoned vet with the new coaching staff and draft a young gun to take over later but oh well.

Texan Asylum
10-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Nobody feels worse about yesterday's debacle than Sage Rosenfels. I have no doubt about that, so I would not expect our head coach to publicly crucify the guy.

In this league, you had better dust yourself off and get back on that horse quick. Do you think the Dolphins give a crap about our last game? They will be here ready to play and wanting a win. We had better be the same way - forgetting this last game - and be ready to go, as well. It's the only way we can possibly win.

Kubiak is not going to dwell on it and today is probably the last he wants to give it too much thought.

:goodpost:

Yep, 'bout how I feel about the deal.

Put the man out there again, and give him a chance to redeem himself. He'll do it, and we'll be calling for him to start again this time next week.

Second Honeymoon
10-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Youre preaching to the chior on this. I wanted us to draft Julius Peppers and sign FA Trent Dilfer our opening year. Get a QB later and have Dilfer tutor him and eventually hand over the reigns. I have never been a throw a young QB into the fire kinda guy.

We are stuck with Schaub now but I would of prefered to bring in a seasoned vet with the new coaching staff and draft a young gun to take over later but oh well.

I was there with ya man. mcnair was just so enamored with marketing dream Carr that he forgot about the football. face of the franchise...what a freakin joke. why not get someone who can actually play the game before you let the marketing losers get loose?

as for Schaub, this is the year he has to win the job. Sage will be gone and what other option would we have? Brink? Maybe the competition would be good for the team. Lord knows we havent had an open QB competition ever in the history of this franchise....

FIRE KUBIAK

Chicagotexan1
10-06-2008, 06:43 PM

Are you Vince Youngs mom? Sage is a grown man and when a grown man effs up big he should be called on it.

PapaL
10-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Anyone going to share what was said or should we get some tissue for all the crying going on here?

Texan_Bill
10-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Anyone going to share what was said or should we get some tissue for all the crying going on here?

Same thing you would imagine any HC would say after the worst loss ever....

What he said was........ coachspeak: :blah:

Texans34Life
10-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Link doesn't work anymore and it's not archived on the site.

Recap?

Buffi2
10-06-2008, 07:05 PM
What he said was........ coachspeak: :blah:

But wait - didn't he say that he played for/coached (can't remember) a team that started out 0-3 or 4 and still made the Super Bowl?:shades: That takes coachspeak to a whole new level!

Trail.Blazr
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
daunta culpepper or vinny testaverdie.

Heavens no!

I'll get over Sage's fumbles. He's a far better option.

Norg
10-06-2008, 07:17 PM
anywayz In terms of the QB positon

Matt is the starter QB thats really a closed book

but we should trade sage during the OS and pick up maybe a veteran QB who i dont know iam not a scout but off the top of my head

Jack Plummer/Matt schaub wouldnt be that bad of a combo

maddogmrb
10-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Yes, Sage messed up at the end of the game - especially the interception.

The first fumble was because he was showing us heart and courage and a desire to win the game which has been & is still missing on this team and coaching staff. The 2nd fumble was not his fault.

Let me ask you which of our QB's has won more games in a Texans uniform?

Let me ask you which of our QB's is the ONLY one to have the Texans up by 17 on the Colts for the 1st time in franchise history?

This loss did not cost us the season or a shot at the playoffs. Both of those were pretty well lost in Pittsburg. If anything, this game gives us hope of better things to come whoever is the QB. But, you folks are acting like Sage cost us the season and that is far from the truth. Perhaps we will finally have some real QB competition. After all, what has Matt ever done to be annointed the starter without any competition?

Let me ask you which of our QB's has thrown a TD pass to Andre Johnson this year?

Let me ask how many passes did AJ catch in 3 games with our starter versus one game with our backup?

utahmark
10-06-2008, 07:29 PM
i just watched the presser and people are sure turning what he said around to make him look bad. he did say people would of been praising sage if he would of got the first down. right after that he said thats not what he should of done he should of went down. and instead of saying he was proud of the team he said he was proud of a lot of the guys in the locker room. which is a big difference.

funny how you guys either hear what you want or just purposley turn things around or take half a quote to help support what ever your view is.

Trail.Blazr
10-06-2008, 07:43 PM
yes, sage messed up at the end of the game - especially the interception.

The first fumble was because he was showing us heart and courage and a desire to win the game which has been & is still missing on this team and coaching staff. The 2nd fumble was not his fault.

Let me ask you which of our qb's has won more games in a texans uniform?

Let me ask you which of our qb's is the only one to have the texans up by 17 on the colts for the 1st time in franchise history?

This loss did not cost us the season or a shot at the playoffs. Both of those were pretty well lost in pittsburg. If anything, this game gives us hope of better things to come whoever is the qb. But, you folks are acting like sage cost us the season and that is far from the truth. Perhaps we will finally have some real qb competition. After all, what has matt ever done to be annointed the starter without any competition?

Let me ask you which of our qb's has thrown a td pass to andre johnson this year?

Let me ask how many passes did aj catch in 3 games with our starter versus one game with our backup?

rep!

Texans_Chick
10-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Kubiak presser. (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4715)

Question. What team is he talking about here? I couldn't figure it out,

(on how he will deal with this situation) ďIíve been in this same situation before. I was with a Super Bowl team that started 0-4 or 0-5, I canít remember. Iíve been a part of that. If youíre around long enough in this league, youíll go through it. Thatís a part of it. Itís a very, very tough time. Like I said, we knew we would face some very good people here early. Weíll continue to do that this week. Itís just something weíve got to battle through. You donít want any practice at it, but weíre getting some right now. So, weíll find a way to work through it.Ē

dalemurphy
10-06-2008, 07:51 PM

I'm not sure either. I went to pro-football-reference.com, which is a great site and looked through all the Denver winning seasons in the 80s and 90s and couldn't find any where they were winless through 4 games.

I seem to recall an Oakland team in the early 80s start of 0-3 or 0-4 and make the playoffs and perhaps the Superbowl. But, didn't find that either... I only had 15 minutes to look.

Anyway, the way the season has transpired, this is just the kind of scenario that makes a special story like that possible- not that I'm predicting. Simply, we've run into kind of a perfect storm with the scheduling, the hurricane, and the hard losses the past two weeks... We are one of the best 0-4 teams in the history of the NFL. If the team doesn't quit, I think the rest of the season will show that to be the case...

Get ready for our first winning season ever: the 9-7 2008 Houston Texans! that's my prediction, though I'm hoping for 10 wins and a wild card.

Drew_Smoke
10-06-2008, 07:51 PM

Denver or SF the year after a Super Bowl???

Honoring Earl 34
10-06-2008, 07:53 PM

I think he's been involved with 5-6 SB teams . Maybe it was with a strike team ?

Ok ... I looked and found a couple of slow starters but not 0-4 .

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/

htexfan
10-06-2008, 08:25 PM

Let me ask you which of our QB's is the ONLY one to have the Texans up by 17 on the Colts for the 1st time in franchise history?

This loss did not cost us the season or a shot at the playoffs. Both of those were pretty well lost in Pittsburg. If anything, this game gives us hope of better things to come whoever is the QB. But, you folks are acting like Sage cost us the season and that is far from the truth. Perhaps we will finally have some real QB competition. After all, what has Matt ever done to be annointed the starter without any competition?

Let me ask you which of our QB's has thrown a TD pass to Andre Johnson this year?

Let me ask how many passes did AJ catch in 3 games with our starter versus one game with our backup?

Excellent post here! Don't crucify the man. He played the best 3 quarters I have seen yet. He was leading our team very well. If given the chance he would redeem himself no doubt. Truth is though, niether Shaub nor Rosenfels is going to take us to the promise land... keep starting Sage, at least he plays aggressive. If we must get into stupid plays let's put Shaub's interception fest into the mix. Shaub has lost plenty of games for us.

GP
10-06-2008, 08:38 PM
START SAGE!

Just yanking a few chains.

Rosencopter. Who coined that word? Kaiser?

LOL. So I read the thread, and Kubiak gave us coach-speak, correct?

Thread is done.

Goldensilence
10-06-2008, 08:48 PM

Reminds me of the Titans game last year where the club was born. Man the guy played out of his mind in the second half. Sure right after he flopped belly over in the first half.

Praise the guy for bandaging up a shot in foot right after you forget he's the one who pulled the trigger.

Double Barrel
10-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Anyway, the way the season has transpired, this is just the kind of scenario that makes a special story like that possible- not that I'm predicting. Simply, we've run into kind of a perfect storm with the scheduling, the hurricane, and the hard losses the past two weeks... We are one of the best 0-4 teams in the history of the NFL. If the team doesn't quit, I think the rest of the season will show that to be the case...

Get ready for our first winning season ever: the 9-7 2008 Houston Texans! that's my prediction, though I'm hoping for 10 wins and a wild card.

Sounds good to me! :texflag:

This game will either make or break the collective spirit of this team. They have to know that they were in position to win the last two games. It's just a matter of finishing the job. They will either learn from the experience or let it break them. We find out next Sunday if this season has any chance at success or if it's going to be a lost cause.

I'll be there, and I know who I will be rooting for! :fans:

eriadoc
10-06-2008, 09:49 PM

The second fumble was absolutely his fault. He was running with the ball stuck out there and no awareness whatsoever. We all crucified YKW for far less offensive fumbles than that one. All three turnovers were directly on Sage.

That doesn't mean I hate the guy as a QB or anything, but they were his fault.

Lucky
10-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Sage will be gone and what other option would we have?
Sage is signed through the 2009 season. Sage might be gone, but it will be because he's either traded or cut.

Schaub threw a couple of TDs to AJ in the Jags game. Andre just didn't hold on to them. What's funny about the Sage TD pass is that it looked like a Colt interception, then Johnson swoops in for the grab.

Schaub is a NFL starting QB. Rosenfels is a NFL backup QB. I don't understand how fans who watch every game can't see that. I really like Sage, but he's missing an essential requirement to become a NFL starter. Poise. What I've learned from 7 seasons of Texans football is that a QB either has poise, or he doesn't. It can't be coached. At least not by Kubiak.

Texans_Chick
10-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Sounds good to me! :texflag:

This game will either make or break the collective spirit of this team. They have to know that they were in position to win the last two games. It's just a matter of finishing the job. They will either learn from the experience or let it break them. We find out next Sunday if this season has any chance at success or if it's going to be a lost cause.

I'll be there, and I know who I will be rooting for! :fans:

I know that some people want Kubiak to go nuts.

And at least Richard Justice wants Bob McNair to do something. I'm not sure what. Maybe throw a conniption?

It seems to me that if you are going to be an o-fer team, a coach freaking out is the wrong signal to send to the team. Especially after someone who a lot of people in that lockerroom like, Rosenfels, did something completely cabrito-like.

They need confidence. They need to learn to win and close. Not a lot of good vets on this team to show them how.

Hervoyel
10-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Sage is signed through the 2009 season. Sage might be gone, but it will be because he's either traded or cut.

Schaub threw a couple of TDs to AJ in the Jags game. Andre just didn't hold on to them. What's funny about the Sage TD pass is that it looked like a Colt interception, then Johnson swoops in for the grab.

Schaub is a NFL starting QB. Rosenfels is a NFL backup QB. I don't understand how fans who watch every game can't see that. I really like Sage, but he's missing an essential requirement to become a NFL starter. Poise. What I've learned from 7 seasons of Texans football is that a QB either has poise, or he doesn't. It can't be coached. At least not by Kubiak.

I'm pretty sure nobody is going to be throwing away 3rd (or even 5th) rounders for Sage after that putrid 4 minutes of play. The Texans seem to have this delusion that they're sporting one of the best backups in football so they probably won't cut him either. I agree with you and think he's here through 2009 at least. I don't understand it and frankly I've never understood it but Kubiak thinks he's got a good backup so he won't try to upgrade the position unless Sage gives him a couple more days like last Sunday. Hopefully he doesn't get the chance.

dalemurphy
10-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I know that some people want Kubiak to go nuts.

And at least Richard Justice wants Bob McNair to do something. I'm not sure what. Maybe throw a conniption?

It seems to me that if you are going to be an o-fer team, a coach freaking out is the wrong signal to send to the team. Especially after someone who a lot of people in that lockerroom like, Rosenfels, did something completely cabrito-like.

They need confidence. They need to learn to win and close. Not a lot of good vets on this team to show them how.

Exactly. You can't judge Kubes' coaching job in regards to the team's response to this loss by analyzing his public persona.... Instead, judge it by how the team plays on Sunday and in subsequent weeks.

I've been fairly critical of Kubiak this season. However, while he may be weak in game management, one thing he has been successful at is getting the team to respond well after adversity- from game to game.

The1ApplePie
10-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Don't have my flash player right now so I just want to know:

Did Kubiak make sure to take credit for John Elway's career?

Hervoyel
10-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Exactly. You can't judge Kubes' coaching job in regards to the team's response to this loss by analyzing his public persona.... Instead, judge it by how the team plays on Sunday and in subsequent weeks.

I've been fairly critical of Kubiak this season. However, while he may be weak in game management, one thing he has been successful at is getting the team to respond well after adversity- from game to game.

Which is fortunate because he can't manage a game to save his life and so the Texans seem destined for a regular weekly dose of adversity for the foreseeable future.

LoneStarState
10-06-2008, 11:35 PM

Maybe if they'd shop wisely in free agency they could get some of those players instead of washed up has beens...

LonerATO
10-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Maybe if they'd shop wisely in free agency they could get some of those players instead of washed up has beens...

or dump the crappy talent the team has so they can stop being stagnant

Runner
10-06-2008, 11:42 PM
The Texans seem to have this delusion that they're sporting one of the best backups in football so they probably won't cut him either.

The Texans signed him, Kubiak touched him on each shoulder with a sword, then pronounced him the backup.

Ergo, he's the best backup the Texans could possibly have.

The1ApplePie
10-07-2008, 12:14 AM
The Texans signed him, Kubiak touched him on each shoulder with a sword, then pronounced him the backup.

But he's no Bubby Brister

GP
10-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Bubby Brister and Billy Joe Tolliver were THE BOMB!

Back to topic:

I bet Kubiak is still in his office right now at 12:15 a.m., "evaluating" his rear off.

When you're a HC in the NFL, there is NO rest during the season, fellas....

mussop
10-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Are you Vince Youngs mom? Sage is a grown man and when a grown man effs up big he should be called on it.

Do you have a point or are you just rambling?

maddogmrb
10-07-2008, 09:09 AM
The second fumble was absolutely his fault. He was running with the ball stuck out there and no awareness whatsoever. We all crucified YKW for far less offensive fumbles than that one. All three turnovers were directly on Sage.

That doesn't mean I hate the guy as a QB or anything, but they were his fault.

I didn't see it that way. I saw him preparing to throw the football and his arm was hit from behind as he was starting his motion.

maddogmrb
10-07-2008, 09:13 AM

What basis do you have to make these comments? Personally, I think they're both really good backup QB's. Schaub has had plenty of times where he has lost composure and had happy feet in the backfield and thrown reckless interceptions and lost the ball as he was being hit. The major difference I see between the 2 QB's is Sage seems to be in more of an attack mode, which I like, and the W-L numbers as starters for this team.

maddogmrb
10-07-2008, 09:17 AM

Likewise, the Texans traded for Schaub (a career backup), Kubiak touched him on each shoulder with a sword, then pronounced him the starter and, in the opinion of many Texans fans, one of the best starters ever and an untouchable........

maddogmrb
10-07-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm pretty sure nobody is going to be throwing away 3rd (or even 5th) rounders for Sage after that putrid 4 minutes of play. The Texans seem to have this delusion that they're sporting one of the best backups in football so they probably won't cut him either. I agree with you and think he's here through 2009 at least. I don't understand it and frankly I've never understood it but Kubiak thinks he's got a good backup so he won't try to upgrade the position unless Sage gives him a couple more days like last Sunday. Hopefully he doesn't get the chance.

Geez, I guess you have to say the same for Matt Schaub then because there are many times when he has lost his composure, got happy feet, threw reckless interceptions, and lost the ball as he was being hit. AND, Matt's W-L record with the Texans is worse than Sage's. So, obviously the coaches and fans are under the delusion that Matt Schaub is a starting NFL QB........ maybe we can get a 7th rounder for Matt?

RE-SIGN AND START ALEX BRINK!!!

Blake
10-07-2008, 09:25 AM
I didn't see it that way. I saw him preparing to throw the football and his arm was hit from behind as he was starting his motion.

I've watched that clip many times and feel that he was not in a throwing motion when it was stripped. It was away from his body so he could get rid of it quickly, but that was his mistake. Thinking about making the quick pass rather than protecting the football.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
10-07-2008, 09:36 AM
START SAGE!

Just yanking a few chains.

Rosencopter. Who coined that word? Kaiser?

LOL. So I read the thread, and Kubiak gave us coach-speak, correct?

Thread is done.

I say bring in Jared Lorenzen. I would love to have someone who can not only throw the ball, but also put me to shame at a buffet. Another upside is he could fit in nicely in Gibbs system as well. Talk about dual purpose threat.

http://www.onlineathens.com/images/081500/lorenzen.jpg

The pillsbury throwboy will take us to the promised land.

Kaiser Toro
10-07-2008, 09:40 AM
http://www.onlineathens.com/images/081500/lorenzen.jpg

The pillsbury throwboy will take us to the promised land.

It looks like he ate Doug Flutie or is a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Doug Flutie Float.

nunusguy
10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
I didn't see or hear his presser, but I was all for coming down really hard on him and the team for their efforts - after the Pittsburg game. But not Sunday vs. the Colts.
I'm sure everyone on the team must have felt miserable in spite of a really steller performance in the first 55 minutes or so. And Kubiak did nothing wrong. Actually he had a very good game plan and his game day management was reasonably good.

dickieb
10-07-2008, 10:27 AM
It's been said many times on this board - we have two very good backup QB's. I still think Sage is one of the best backup'sin the NFL. (That New York Giants backup is pretty good too - his name escapes me at the moment?)

GP
10-07-2008, 10:43 AM
I didn't see or hear his presser, but I was all for coming down really hard on him and the team for their efforts - after the Pittsburg game. But not Sunday vs. the Colts.
I'm sure everyone on the team must have felt miserable in spite of a really steller performance in the first 55 minutes or so. And Kubiak did nothing wrong. Actually he had a very good game plan and his game day management was reasonably good.

But you can see the timid nature of this team when the game is getting tougher and any little bobble might cost us.

There is, IMO, a little bit of a perpetual cycle of this team freezing up in critical moments. Not one fan here can disregard it. When things get tight, when the momentum can swing one way or another, which way are YOU as a fan thinking that it's going to swing toward....us or our opponent?

I won't say that I have special powers or anything, but I was nervous just as soon as we took the lead early in the game. I didn't think we'd be able to sustain it, and when Sage fumbled the first time...I gotta' admit that I felt pretty strongly that we were going to lose. Somehow, some way.

Kubiak DOES traditionally, for some reason, start games slow and then we're charging back all game long. There's not a stake-in-the-heart, slit the defense's throats mentality when the game begins. And it's not there at the END of the game either.

I just keep thinking a thought that brings my spirits up: I'm not a Cubs fan. Now there is some fan torture.

Silver Oak
10-07-2008, 10:47 AM
But you can see the timid nature of this team when the game is getting tougher and any little bobble might cost us.

There is, IMO, a little bit of a perpetual cycle of this team freezing up in critical moments. Not one fan here can disregard it. When things get tight, when the momentum can swing one way or another, which way are YOU as a fan thinking that it's going to swing toward....us or our opponent?

maybe they'll soon learn as a team, how to put away a team when they have the lead, instead of letting them get back up and into the game. it's cliche, but it's just a growing process most sports teams have to go through.

Polo
10-07-2008, 10:49 AM

I think all fans get a little nervous/tense when the game gets tight...Whether it be Colts fans, Pats fans or whoever...and from any sport...

We've won some close games in Kubiaks tenure...Like...the first time we ever beat the Colts as franchise...

GP
10-07-2008, 11:01 AM
I think all fans get a little nervous/tense when the game gets tight...Whether it be Colts fans, Pats fans or whoever...and from any sport...

We've won some close games in Kubiaks tenure...Like...the first time we ever beat the Colts as franchise...

Yeah, but THAT game was not a total beat-down like we gave the Colts this past Sunday.

We've beaten them 1 time.

We're getting owned by the Titans, too.

And the Jags? We had a bit of an edge on them, for a short time, and it's been lost recently. I think Garrard's scramble plays, at the end of theg ame, were completely by design...it was drawn up, and Del Rio said "Dude, just drop back, don't even worry about throwing the ball. Run it. It's working every time. Just run it."

Kubiak and his gang of experts are not out-witting the opponent, at least not when it counts the most. Dude: The Colts players felt sorry for us. That's when you know it's getting bad.

GP
10-07-2008, 11:17 AM
maybe they'll soon learn as a team, how to put away a team when they have the lead, instead of letting them get back up and into the game. it's cliche, but it's just a growing process most sports teams have to go through.

I agree. It'll click some day. But when that "some day" arrives is anyone's guess.

I am expecting our team to come out and represent themselves well on Sunday. Maybe they needed to see just how bad it can get if each individual player, even when playing a really good game all game long, can still mess things up and hand the opponent an easy win.

Maybe Rosencopter had some sort of larger purpose, even if that sounds a little cheezy...

Polo
10-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Kubiak and his gang of experts are not out-witting the opponent, at least not when it counts the most.

At some point you have to rely on your players...

Even the best coaches have to rely on their players to step up and make plays...

Absolutely impossible to out scheme everyone to the point that your scheme is winning games and not the players...

I'm pretty sure if Kubiak could have schemed against Rosenfels he would have...

Not sure how anyone see's the last game as anything but some dumb errors by Sage...

GP
10-07-2008, 11:28 AM

Even the best coaches have to rely on their players to step up and make plays...

Absolutely impossible to out scheme everyone to the point that your scheme is winning games and not the players...

Not sure how anyone see's the last game as anything but some dumb errors by Sage...

Del Rio has constantly out-witted us, Polo. I mean, it's not even a real debate.

Fisher? I think he's out-coached Kubiak, as well. And with less talent than we've had to work with (which is salt in the wound, to me).

Kubiak comes across as a deep thinker, not a guy who instantly knows what to do...or is even contemplating three steps ahead.

We disagree. I'm cool with that.

maddogmrb
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM
nm this time

bigbrewster2000
10-07-2008, 11:55 AM

As already stated, all three turnovers fall on Sages shoulders. Protecting the ball is priority number 1.
There are plenty of factors here namely Sage getting his starts when AJ was healthy.
Let me ask you which of our QB's is the ONLY one to have the Texans up by 17 on the Colts for the 1st time in franchise history? So you are giving credit to the QB for a great defensive effort for the fisrt time in franchise History? Weak argument. Schaub put up the same points the week prior.

Let me ask you which of our QB's has thrown a TD pass to Andre Johnson this year? I dont really see your point here. I might if Schaub hadnt thrown a TD yet or even a TD to a WR, but the facts are he has done both. Besides its not for lack of trying. AJ dropped 1 gimmie TD and 2 other ones a top flight WR probably should have come down with and they were all in the same game.

Let me ask how many passes did AJ catch in 3 games with our starter versus one game with our backup? I will happily break that down for you
Game 1: 10 catches 112 yds
Game 2: 2 catches 29yd 3 dropped TD's
Game 3: 3 catches 38yds But KW gets 7 catches and 2 TDs and Slaton adds another.
AJ getting the ball again on Sunday is more likely a team commitment to get AJ the ball than something to do with what QB was playing in the game

Comments bolded above. I dont really see where any of you questions can be justified on Sage's behalf.

Double Barrel
10-07-2008, 01:27 PM

yep. You can't fault the coaches or owner for just plain stupid mistakes made by one player. The loss to Indy is really on Sage's shoulders. The rest of the organization did what they needed to do to win the game.

HOU-TEX
10-07-2008, 02:17 PM
yep. You can't fault the coaches or owner for just plain stupid mistakes made by one player. The loss to Indy is really on Sage's shoulders. The rest of the organization did what they needed to do to win the game.

I think that is the reason this loss is much more difficult to get over. The team played very good Sunday.

Hervoyel
10-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Geez, I guess you have to say the same for Matt Schaub then because there are many times when he has lost his composure, got happy feet, threw reckless interceptions, and lost the ball as he was being hit. AND, Matt's W-L record with the Texans is worse than Sage's. So, obviously the coaches and fans are under the delusion that Matt Schaub is a starting NFL QB........ maybe we can get a 7th rounder for Matt?

RE-SIGN AND START ALEX BRINK!!!

Nothing Schaub has ever done compares to what we saw out of Sage on Sunday in that ridiculous five minute span. On top of that following Kubiaks words on the subject I now have to ask what coach would ever trust Sage to go out and follow instructions and protect the ball. The only kind of starting QB Sage was ever going to possibly amount to was the obedient game-manager type and he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt on Sunday that he can't do that.

Schaub has the remainder of the season IMO to show that he's going to pan out. If he can't manage it this year then I'm worried that we just gave away a pair of 2's for a guy who didn't pan out. It happens but it will suck to be looking for our franchise QB again so I hope all goes as planned with Schaub.

BigBull17
10-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Nothing Schaub has ever done compares to what we saw out of Sage on Sunday in that ridiculous five minute span. On top of that following Kubiaks words on the subject I now have to ask what coach would ever trust Sage to go out and follow instructions and protect the ball. The only kind of starting QB Sage was ever going to possibly amount to was the obedient game-manager type and he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt on Sunday that he can't do that.

Schaub has the remainder of the season IMO to show that he's going to pan out. If he can't manage it this year then I'm worried that we just gave away a pair of 2's for a guy who didn't pan out. It happens but it will suck to be looking for our franchise QB again so I hope all goes as planned with Schaub.

Couldnt agree more. On top of that, Schaubs good game was alot better than Sage's. Matt did it with very little run game agains a better D. Indy isnt a force, and Slaton/Green ran their asses off.

Double Barrel
10-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Rosenfels also had the benefit of a defense that was playing their asses off and keeping the Colts to 10 points through the 4th quarter, as well.

I heard some yahoo on the radio at lunch talking about Sage being the reason we were up 27-10. Sure, he was a part of it, but it was a team effort to be in that position. Dude kept ranting that the coaches shouldn't look at the 3 turnovers because Sage was doing what he could to win the game. Hogwash. Sometimes our radio hosts in this city are waaaay to nice. I would have run that guy and made fun of him the rest of the day if it was my show.

Polo
10-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Just to add to that...

When the team plays good, Schaub tears it up....He's gotta reach a level (if he wants to remain a starter) to where he can make plays when things around him aren't going well...

No doubt in my mind that Schaub doesn't cost us the game by trying to go above and beyond the call of duty...

Schaub may not be the answer, but I can pretty confidently say Sage is not the answer.