PDA

View Full Version : Lovin' aint easy, and just rewatched it!!

dalemurphy
10-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Well, after the game, sitting at the 25 yard line and surrounded by Colts' fans, I proclaimed that I was done making the drive from Austin until they had at least a .500 record.

But, I'll be there for Detroit and Cincinnati- even if they lose to Miami.

It's hard and it sucks. I'm devastated. However, I'm devastated because we're so close to being good. Clearly now, after the Colts game and Jags game, it is evident we have a team and talent in place to be good going forward. I don't mean next year or 2010, I mean next week and every week after that. So, to all of the true fans, take this shot on the chin, pick yourself up and keep embracing the team even when it doesn't make sense to. One day, maybe soon, it will pay off.

Now to the game observations upon one live and one DVRed viewing:

1. Our DL, Mario first, Okoye, Robinson, even Weaver and Bulman... they all played very well. All day long the pocket was collapsing around Manning with a 4 man rush. Also, I like that Okoye was rotated in. He seemed much more explosive and effective. He even knifed through a double team a couple of times to create serious havoc.

2. Our CBs aren't bad at all. Reeves certainly isn't special but he's solid. Bennett was very good as was............... FAGGINS. WIth Robinson's return and Molden's development, the depth at CB will be a strength going forward.

3. Very happy to see Brandon Harrison play. I thought he was an immediate upgrade in the passing game.

4. Running game is rounding into shape. The staff is learning what plays we run well. ON the Slaton 40 yarder, it was the same play we've run a number of times successfully on 3rd and mediums:

Walter, from the slot cracks back on the DE and Brown pulls around the block and leads the sweep along with Leach... It's worked each of 4 times. This time instead of creating a running lane, Leach was able to secure the edge. We'll be seeing more of that formation and plays off of it all season.

5. Diles played great. I don't understand why this game the Lbs were in position, particularly against the pass, when that's never been the case in this team's history... Perhaps some adjustments were made, dare I dream, by the defensive staff to fix that issue. I know the Diles pick, he played underneath man coverage... Maybe our safeties are better and that's helping?

6. Slaton can take a lick!

7. I didn't need Dierdorf to tell me Vonte was having a good game.

8. Faggins is back to his '06 level. pretty solid

9. We need 3 qbs on the roster. It's ridiculous that schaub was too sick to start but was our #2 qb.

Vinny
10-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Brown tends to tip a pass or run play I've noticed...he tends to set up higher when the team is passing.

Mr teX
10-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Well, after the game, sitting at the 25 yard line and surrounded by Colts' fans, I proclaimed that I was done making the drive from Austin until they had at least a .500 record.

It's hard and it sucks. I'm devastated. However, I'm devastated because we're so close to being good. Clearly now, after the Colts game and Jags game, it is evident we have a team and talent in place to be good going forward. I don't mean next year or 2010, I mean next week and every week after that. So, to all of the true fans, take this shot on the chin, pick yourself up and keep embracing the team even when it doesn't make sense to. One day, maybe soon, it will pay off.

I don't know about that, i think we still need major upgrades in talent to be a good team....as in pushing us over the top. I think what you might be seeing is our coaching staff finally getting our players as prepared as they possibly can be & then adjusting in a timely fashion.

1. Our DL, Mario first, Okoye, Robinson, even Weaver and Bulman... they all played very well. All day long the pocket was collapsing around Manning with a 4 man rush. Also, I like that Okoye was rotated in. He seemed much more explosive and effective. He even knifed through a double team a couple of times to create serious havoc.

2. Our CBs aren't bad at all. Reeves certainly isn't special but he's solid. Bennett was very good as was............... FAGGINS. WIth Robinson's return and Molden's development, the depth at CB will be a strength going forward.

gotta disagree a little here. I agree about reeves, especially considering i thought he needed to be run out of town in the preseason, but 1 good game by faggins doesn't erase 7 years of terrible play.

3. Very happy to see Brandon Harrison play. I thought he was an immediate upgrade in the passing game.

yeah, there were a couple of plays where he was just a split second too late...but he was there in the right position. it's too early to tell, but i think all he may need is reps & he'll turn out to be a good player for us.

4. Running game is rounding into shape. The staff is learning what plays we run well. ON the Slaton 40 yarder, it was the same play we've run a number of times successfully on 3rd and mediums:

Pleasantly surprised by Green...he seemed to have that burst back. Slaton is rounding into form, but i still think he needs that compliment guy to him & Green, Brown & Taylor aren't that guy.

Walter, from the slot cracks back on the DE and Brown pulls around the block and leads the sweep along with Leach... It's worked each of 4 times. This time instead of creating a running lane, Leach was able to secure the edge. We'll be seeing more of that formation and plays off of it all season.

5. Diles played great. I don't understand why this game the Lbs were in position, particularly against the pass, when that's never been the case in this team's history... Perhaps some adjustments were made, dare I dream, by the defensive staff to fix that issue. I know the Diles pick, he played underneath man coverage... Maybe our safeties are better and that's helping?

9. We need 3 qbs on the roster. It's ridiculous that schaub was too sick to start but was our #2 qb.

On a side note, can someone tell me what Eugene Wilson was playing, i couldn't tell from the game. He's another one that needs more time on the field.

Vinny
10-06-2008, 03:24 PM
yes Wilson was in the game...they rotated heavilly on defense yesterday. For instance, Okoye was in on first and ten about every other series as far as I could tell.

Mr teX
10-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah i know he was in the game b/c he was making plays (go figure) i just wanted to know where kubes had him playing. I know coming from New England he played Safety & Corner but i couldn't tell where he was for us.

dalemurphy
10-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah i know he was in the game b/c he was making plays (go figure) i just wanted to know where kubes had him playing. I know coming from New England he played Safety & Corner but i couldn't tell where he was for us.

This was easily the best the defense has ever played versus a good offense. And, about 20 players were a part of it.

Hardcore Texan
10-06-2008, 07:28 PM

Thanks for posting this, it does help a little. I usually rewatch every game but I deleted it yesterday out of anger so I will not be watching it again.

Jackie Chiles
10-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Any chance you could elaborate on the play of Harrison? I'll probably get around to watching it again, well the first 55 mins at least, but what stood out to you? I still remember being disappointed when the team accidentally announced he was cut instead of the other Brandon.

PapaL
10-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for posting this, it does help a little. I usually rewatch every game but I deleted it yesterday out of anger so I will not be watching it again.

Me too!

Didn't want that crap taking up space on my dvr.

jaayteetx
10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Is it just me or is Reeves ALWAYS getting beat with his back to the ball? Is this a coaching point or what? His ball skills and instincts seem to be lacking.

Double Barrel
10-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd watch the game again if I had it. We saw our team actually play like an NFL team for 95% of the time. I can't blame them or deny their effort because one player made some epic mistakes. I hope they dust themselves off and learn from this and continue to improve their playing. That is all we can hope for at this point.

edo783
10-06-2008, 09:36 PM
The team played really well, even Sage with the exception of 4 min. On the Reeves thing, the kid would be dynamite if someone could teach him to turn for the ball. He did a couple of times and made a play. He is always right with the WR, just hasn't learned how to make a play on the ball. If he ever learns we will have a very good CB. If not, he will be marginal at best. The good news is that he seems to be improving each week.

awtysst
10-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Brown tends to tip a pass or run play I've noticed...he tends to set up higher when the team is passing.

Well if you noticed it, Im sure opposing coaches have as well. Perhaps he needs a little more practice not tipping off the play.

AnthonyE
10-06-2008, 10:06 PM

Unless you have NFLN, I think they'll be reshowing it tomorrow.

dalemurphy
10-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Any chance you could elaborate on the play of Harrison? I'll probably get around to watching it again, well the first 55 mins at least, but what stood out to you? I still remember being disappointed when the team accidentally announced he was cut instead of the other Brandon.

The windows were very small for all the balls that went into his area. I think Clark caught a couple in front of him but it was tight and he tagged him immediately. He was also isolated on receivers a few times and had them covered. I noticed more at the game yesterday. He was one of the players I was paying special attention to. It's a little more difficult on the TV to tell what's going on in the secondary. However, what was very apparent about yesterday was that receivers just weren't open yesterday. Almost every catch had to be a very good throw and good play by the receiver. Harrison was a big part of that, it appeared to me.

valleytexfan
10-07-2008, 01:12 AM

Agreed, thank you for this thread. Yes we're all disappointed and upset and angry, but it's because we all want the Texans to succeed. I agree with your points...the team looks better and aren't getting blown out ala week 1. But losses are losses and this team needs to get a W bad.

Great thread. :texflag:

Hooston Texan
10-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Is it just me or is Reeves ALWAYS getting beat with his back to the ball? Is this a coaching point or what? His ball skills and instincts seem to be lacking.

That was the knock on him in Dallas, and opposing offenses are well-aware of this issue. This is why, when Jacksonville was facing a make-or-break 3rd down against us in overtime, the play they called was a back-shoulder throw to Reeves' man (Matt Jones). As usual, Reeves was right there with Jones but didn't adjust to the ball, allowing him to make the catch.

I'm not sure if ball-skills like that are, at heart, an instinct issue. In other words, can they be taught. I know it is fashionable here to bash our own coaches, but certainly the Cowboy coaches tried to improve Reeves' play on that point, too. It may be that Reeves needs to use his eyes to stay with a receiver (the truly great corners can feel where the receiver is and thus can get their heads turned without losing the guy).

If Reeves had any kind of ball-presence, he'd be an All-Pro. The guy can stay with any receiver in the league.

BigBull17
10-07-2008, 12:29 PM
I liked the way the Oline played as well. Browns sack was product of a bad play design. Brown took a step to sell run against Freeney, who doesnt even play the run. You could see that in the replkay, and if you take that step, its real hard to catch up to Freeney. I like the way our line moves in space. They seem pretty fast.