PDA

View Full Version : Start Sage?

HJam72
10-06-2008, 11:58 AM
I know, maybe this is the stupidest idea I've ever had, but look at Sage's overall performance for a minute. What is Sage's biggest problem?--He's a gambler. He just HAS to get that shot at starting. He will dive with the ball, stretch out, whatever it takes. He moves the ball, moves the chains, has everyone around him in sync and playing well all the time, but he takes too many freaking risks.

So here's my crazy answer (don't flame me too hard):

OK, hot shot. Now, you start. Keep fumbling and it's over and you will never be a starter again. In fact, you will probably be off this team. Throw a few "hero" stupid passes and you are out as well. Protect the freaking football and you remain a starter. This is your ONE shot, hotshot, and Matt will be glad to take his job back.

jaayteetx
10-06-2008, 11:59 AM
NOT going to happen. Matt is the starter, period.

texanhead08
10-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks but no thanks. You stick with Schaub if the first two weeks didn't cost him his job being sick yesterday shouldnt either.

HJam72
10-06-2008, 12:00 PM

True, it won't happen. I've just got that "wonder/what if" thing going on.

Polo
10-06-2008, 12:01 PM
No...please do not start Sage....

Might further hurt his trade value....

Thorn
10-06-2008, 12:01 PM

True, but I'm not convinced Sage won't be starting a few more games before this season is over with.

Errant Hothy
10-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I know, maybe this is the stupidest idea I've ever had, but look at Sage's overall performance for a minute. What is Sage's biggest problem?--He's a gambler. He just HAS to get that shot at starting. He will dive with the ball, stretch out, whatever it takes. He moves the ball, moves the chains, has everyone around him in sync and playing well all the time, but he takes too many freaking risks.

So here's my crazy answer (don't flame me too hard):

OK, hot shot. Now, you start. Keep fumbling and it's over and you will never be a starter again. In fact, you will probably be off this team. Throw a few "hero" stupid passes and you are out as well. Protect the freaking football and you remain a starter. This is your ONE shot, hotshot, and Matt will be glad to take his job back.

There is a difference between gambling and just pointless mental mistakes that QBs in pop warner football do not make.

Also Schaub had a better game against Jax then Sage did against he Colts, and Jax is by far and away the better D. Sage should only ever see the filed again if and only if Matt's right arm gets amputated.

Malloy
10-06-2008, 12:09 PM
It could happen. If Schaub has been as ill as it sounds like, he might miss too much practice to be able to start next game. Honestly I would give Rosenfels a A- if it were not for the last 5 minutes of the game. Rosenfels gambled as should any person in his position (granted, he sure chose the wrong time to do it), but if he had succeded, most people around here would praise his play-making. I like a player who tries to make big plays, much more than your Caperish 'keep it close'-attitude, those players makes mistakes too (Favre comes to mind). I sure like players trying to make something happen as opposed to players afraid to make mistakes. To me it shows guts, and it gives me something to cheer for.

HJam72
10-06-2008, 12:11 PM
There is a difference between gambling and just pointless mental mistakes that QBs in pop warner football do not make.

Also Schaub had a better game against Jax then Sage did against he Colts, and Jax is by far and away the better D. Sage should only ever see the filed again if and only if Matt's right arm gets amputated.

I know, but I'm not convinced with Schaub's overall performance over the last year and 3 games. What I am convinced of is that Sage will always move the ball. Granted, his turnover problems ARE rediculous. I'm just struck with how good Sage could be if he only had a brain.

Errant Hothy
10-06-2008, 12:11 PM
It could happen. If Schaub has been as ill as it sounds like, he might miss too much practice to be able to start next game. Honestly I would give Rosenfels a A- if it were not for the last 5 minutes of the game. Rosenfels gambled as should any person in his position (granted, he sure chose the wrong time to do it), but if he had succeded, most people around here would praise his play-making. I like a player who tries to make big plays, much more than your Caperish 'keep it close'-attitude, those players makes mistakes too (Favre comes to mind). I sure like players trying to make something happen as opposed to players afraid to make mistakes. To me it shows guts, and it gives me something to cheer for.

Favre knowns when to protect the ball though, Sage it appears does not.

Errant Hothy
10-06-2008, 12:13 PM
I know, but I'm not convinced with Schaub's overall performance over the last year and 3 games. What I am convinced of is that Sage will always move the ball. Granted, his turnover problems ARE rediculous. I'm just struck with how good Sage could be if he only had a brain.

But Sage doesn't have the brain you wished he had. This has been proven, not only in his time here in Houston but in his other stops as well. If he did he likely would have been a starter somewhere by know.

Sage will always beat himself when given the chance.

HJam72

My whole point is that he does that stupid crap because he is trying to win the starting job. What if he already had it?

I know it's crazy, but I can't help wondering.

IlliniJen
Again, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Schaub is the starter. Cut. Dry. Sage just didn't make "mistakes" yesterday, he forgot basic football fundamentals: PROTECT THE DAMN BALL.

HJam72
10-06-2008, 12:14 PM
But Sage doesn't have the brain you wished he had. This has been proven, not only in his time here in Houston but in his other stops as well. If he did he likely would have been a starter somewhere by know.

Sage will always beat himself when given the chance.

Guess you're right. I have no idea what he did before the Texans.

gwallaia
10-06-2008, 12:21 PM
I will permit this under only one condition. The starting offense must be introduced, when the announcer says Sage, everyone in Reliant will yell as loud as possible. "YOU SUCK"

Malloy
10-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Uhm.. He throws more interceptions than I drink coffee.

The whole point of the Favre thingie was to point out that playmakers miss some and win some. Personally I like Favre, despite his fairly high interception rate.

Double Barrel
10-06-2008, 12:26 PM
No...please do not start Sage....

Might further hurt his trade value....

LOL! Ain't that the truth.

Porky
10-06-2008, 12:40 PM
So let me get this straight. A player costs us the game with stupid idiotic bone headed, moronic, mental mistakes, and his punishment is he gets to start the next game over the incumbment who was only not playing because he was sick.

Makes sense to me. :thinking:

powerfuldragon
10-06-2008, 12:44 PM
listen. sage wanted to win more than any of us on these forums. that's why he took those risks. granted, in hindsight they were pretty egregious, but you can't fault the man for trying to be heroic in our post-ike home opener.

Malloy
10-06-2008, 12:44 PM
So let me get this straight. A player costs us the game with stupid idiotic bone headed, moronic, mental mistakes, and his punishment is he gets to start the next game over the incumbment who was only not playing because he was sick.

Makes sense to me. :thinking:

Curious, how would you describe the first 50 minutes of the game, specifically Rosenfels performance?

Errant Hothy
10-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Uhm.. He throws more interceptions than I drink coffee.

The whole point of the Favre thingie was to point out that playmakers miss some and win some. Personally I like Favre, despite his fairly high interception rate.

Favre throws a boatload of INTs, but how many are as damaging as the fumbles Sage had yesterday? Favre knows when it is time to gamble and when it isn't, Sage does not.

Porky
10-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Curious, how would you describe the first 50 minutes of the game, specifically Rosenfels performance?

Erratic and careless, with some highs and lows. Even prior to that, ball security was a major issue.

Errant Hothy
10-06-2008, 12:48 PM
listen. sage wanted to win more than any of us on these forums. that's why he took those risks. granted, in hindsight they were pretty egregious, but you can't fault the man for trying to be heroic in our post-ike home opener.

I can't fault him for trying to be the hero, but I can fault him for making the stupidest of mistakes (not protecting the football). Sage was already the hero at that point in the game, despite a risky play down at the goal line, the only things he could have achieved by taking those risks were all negative.

Malloy
10-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Favre throws a boatload of INTs, but how many are as damaging as the fumbles Sage had yesterday? Favre knows when it is time to gamble and when it isn't, Sage does not.

Favres lost games on his own. Favre gambles all the time.

Again, my point is that _I_ like players like Favre that goes for it. Now do I like it when if all goes south? ofcourse not, but I'll still rather see a playmaker making plays at the risk of making mistakes than a player that does not take a risk in fear of making a mistake.

I guess we just look at people in a different way, that's OK with me.

Mr teX
favre does that b/c he's got a 50 cal machine gun for an arm....& he knows it

powerfuldragon
i have to admit, that last interception was whack.

Malloy
10-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Erratic and careless, with some highs and lows. Even prior to that, ball security was a major issue.

Interesting. I remember that one rush where he almost had the ball ripped from him. Erratic and careless I did not see, quite the opposite actually but hey...

HJam72
10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
i have to admit, that last interception was whack.

AJ was tripped. He was the intended receiver. 'Least that's what I heard, anyway. Guess the "trip" was unintentional.

Errant Hothy
10-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Favres lost games on his own. Favre gambles all the time.

Again, my point is that _I_ like players like Favre that goes for it. Now do I like it when if all goes south? ofcourse not, but I'll still rather see a playmaker making plays at the risk of making mistakes than a player that does not take a risk in fear of making a mistake.

I guess we just look at people in a different way, that's OK with me.

Name one game Favre has lost on his own when up by 2 scores? And while you're at it name me the games Sage has won by gambling?

Favre has never given up a 17 point lead to the lose the game, no other QB then Sage has.

Malloy
10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
I can't fault him for trying to be the hero, but I can fault him for making the stupidest of mistakes (not protecting the football).

Now THAT I can relate to, and I'm sure that Sage himself is very aware of this.

They should force him to carry the ball around (JJ-style) for a week, if he wants to make crazy QB-rushes his trademark play, at least make sure you hold on to the damn ball :)

Errant Hothy
10-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Interesting. I remember that one rush where he almost had the ball ripped from him. Erratic and careless I did not see, quite the opposite actually but hey...

There was the fumble that Brown recovered, the stupid ass play down at the goal line where Sage must have thought he was David Carr, a few passes into double coverage, a tip that should have been intercepted, and probably another play or two.

powerfuldragon
10-06-2008, 12:54 PM
AJ was tripped.
i'd want a qb with the awareness/wherewithal to notice something like that and look for another target.

Porky
10-06-2008, 12:57 PM

Apparently you missed the play where he carelessly stretched the ball out at around the 2 yard line so it could be swiped away by the Colts?

Malloy
10-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Name one game Favre has lost on his own when up by 2 scores? And while you're at it name me the games Sage has won by gambling?

Favre has never given up a 17 point lead to the lose the game, no other QB then Sage has.

Sorry, I guess my argument is out of the window now since I cannot name a single game... All I can say is I've seen a few GB games (GB gets shown quite alot over here) and I recall seeing him killing the game through INTs.

Also, it should be fairly clear by now that I do NOT like losing because of a playmaking player, but I dislike it less than losing because of players not even trying to make plays. In other words, I am NOT trying to compare Rosenfals with Favre, but pointing out that I like players who DO try to make a play...

HJam72
10-06-2008, 12:58 PM
i'd want a qb with the awareness/wherewithal to notice something like that and look for another target.

Another off the wall thought I keep having is that even "unintentional" trips of a receiver should warrant a some kind of minor penalty, like 5 yds. and no loss of down. Move up 5 yds. and run the play over again.

I can only assume he was tripped before the ball was thrown, based on how far he apparently was from where it went, so you must be right. I don't like QBs who throw to phantom receivers, either. Those timing plays are interception scary.

Errant Hothy
10-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Sorry, I guess my argument is out of the window now since I cannot name a single game... All I can say is I've seen a few GB games (GB gets shown quite alot over here) and I recall seeing him killing the game through INTs.

Also, it should be fairly clear by now that I do NOT like losing because of a playmaking player, but I dislike it less than losing because of players not even trying to make plays. In other words, I am NOT trying to compare Rosenfals with Favre, but pointing out that I like players who DO try to make a play...

Are you saying that Schaub does NOT try to make the play?

Malloy
10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
There was the fumble that Brown recovered, the stupid ass play down at the goal line where Sage must have thought he was David Carr, a few passes into double coverage, a tip that should have been intercepted, and probably another play or two.

I forgot about the Brown rescue, sorry about that one. The rest of the situations I did not find that horrible.