PDA

View Full Version : How Much Money Have You Spent Per Home Win?

eriadoc
10-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I know a lot of folks have spent a helluva lot more money than I have. I got my season tickets at the beginning of 2005. Prior to that, I shared a season ticket with a friend, so I only paid for and attended four home games a year. Adding up PSL expenditures, season tickets, parking, and only $20/game for concessions (I've gone over that several times), I estimate I have personally spent about $733 per home win. I'm not factoring in paraphernalia or tailgating expenses.

How much have you spent? Have you gotten your money's worth?

Double Barrel
10-06-2008, 12:16 PM
All told, I have spent thousands over the years on season tickets (2002), parking, merchandise (including three custom jerseys and dozens of shirts & hats, etc.). I really don't want to take a calculator to it...mainly because it would probably depress me.

Truth be told, the Texans have a great marketing department....and I've been a sucker for it. I don't regret, but I don't see myself continuing to spend more money on merchandise and stuff.

I'm on the fence if I can, or should, afford my 2009 season ticket. Regardless of how the season turns out, one thing is certain and that is an increase in the season ticket and parking prices. It's insane how a perpetually bad product can continue to increase in price.

eriadoc
10-06-2008, 12:18 PM
All told, I have spent thousands over the years on season tickets (2002), parking, merchandise (including three custom jerseys and dozens of shirts & hats, etc.). I really don't want to take a calculator to it...mainly because it would probably depress me.

Truth be told, the Texans have a great marketing department....and I've been a sucker for it. I don't regret, but I don't see myself continuing to spend more money on merchandise and stuff.

I'm on the fence if I can, or should, afford my 2009 season ticket. Regardless of how the season turns out, one thing is certain and that is an increase in the season ticket and parking price. It's insane how a perpetually bad product can continue to increase in price.

I'm actually curious to see numbers from people. Putting a calc to it set things in perspective for me, and I was curious where I am on the scale of idiocy.

Htownsportsfan
10-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I know I will get flamed for this by the entire board, and its not saying I am ok losing not in the least.

But my family had Oiler season tickets until the season they left town and we are charter psl holders like many of you, I will go to games win or lose as long as there is football in town. I hated every football season that came in went while we had not team and while I am sick of losing and want things to change I would rather have a bad football team I can go and watch than no football team. I dont regret one dollar I hav spent on this team, well wait I have had a few hot beers and cold hot dogs I wish I had not paid for!

I have clients cut from the same cloth as Bob Mcnair successful and business and love the trill of victory! Its the same draw that gets them into horse racing, nobody hates losing as much as Bob Mcnair I feel safe is saying that!

Tedc
10-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Whatever it is, it is worth every penny.

I remember when we didn't have a team to complain about or tailgating at all.

eriadoc
10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I know I will get flamed for this by the entire board, and its not saying I am ok losing not in the least.

But my family had Oiler season tickets until the season they left town and we are charter psl holders like many of you, I will go to games win or lose as long as there is football in town. I hated every football season that came in went while we had not team and while I am sick of losing and want things to change I would rather have a bad football team I can go and watch than no football team. I dont regret one dollar I hav spent on this team, well wait I have had a few hot beers and cold hot dogs I wish I had not paid for!

I have clients cut from the same cloth as Bob Mcnair successful and business and love the trill of victory! Its the same draw that gets them into horse racing, nobody hates losing as much as Bob Mcnair I feel safe is saying that!

I don't see why you should get flamed by anyone for saying that. Different people have different thresholds for how much money they are willing to spend on various activities. Personally, I've hit my limit on how much I am willing to pay for losing football given the economy these days and other expenditure demands in my life. If the team were worth a damn, then that would change my outlook on it. I'll still be a fan, but I'll be watching on TV, spending approximately $733 less per home win.

I was just curious where that ranked among the other members, so I could put my expenditures in perspective. I know what I've spent, but without some points of comparison, it's just a number. I could compare it to other entertainment expenditures in my budget, but it so far surpasses anything else that it's not really viable to do so.

eriadoc
10-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Whatever it is, it is worth every penny.

As much as I wanted a team back then, I think my blood pressure and anxiety levels were much healthier then, LOL.

Double Barrel
10-06-2008, 01:08 PM

And I remember a time when I didn't spend a dime enjoying the team that was here before, too. ;)

jerek
10-06-2008, 01:14 PM
I'll still be a fan, but I'll be watching on TV, spending approximately $733 less per home win.

Great post and interesting to do the math!

I've never held season tickets. Never thought they worth the money--sorry but I'm sure someone will flame me for that--when I can watch the game on HD at home and attend 1, maybe 2 games in person every year with my friends who work for the team.

I'd probably feel that way whether I'm making $50k/yr or $150k/yr. But that's just me personally. Like you say, everyone has a different threshold for what they're willing to pay for their various hobbies, activities and interests. It would probably astound some people that I'm willing to pay $5,000 for a camera or $3,500 for a TV. My wife thinks I was an id!ot to pay $175 out of pocket when I traded in my 360 for a PS3. I think she does *not* need nine pairs of khaki pants (to her credit, she typically only shops sales.) Everyone's got different perspectives.

As much as I wanted a team back then, I think my blood pressure and anxiety levels were much healthier then, LOL.

I've been there, but fortunately I've managed to detach myself from the "it's my team mentality."

Tedc
10-06-2008, 01:58 PM
And I remember a time when I didn't spend a dime enjoying the team that was here before, too. ;)

True but they left.

Why did they leave?

Money.

Again, just be happy that we have a team to complain about. If you want out, get out of it. Football can be too intense for the fickle fairweathered fan.

(Not directed to Double Barrel but if anyone is offended by the statement above, it may be a time to ask yourself why.)

eriadoc
10-06-2008, 02:08 PM
True but they left.

Why did they leave?

Money.

Again, just be happy that we have a team to complain about. If you want out, get out of it. Football can be too intense for the fickle fairweathered fan.

(Not directed to Double Barrel but if anyone is offended by the statement above, it may be a time to ask yourself why.)

Geta clue, man. The fickle fair weather fans either left this bandwagon a long time ago or they never got on. Fair weather fans don't stick around for 32-68. Fair weather fans only come out when there's fair weather, of which there's been none.

So no fickle fair weather fans are here to be offended by your statement.

gtexan02
10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
After every loss, some get upset, and the rest get this "holier than thou" lemming mentality, where if you question your fanhood you are either a traitor or a fairweather fan.

Loyalty is great and all, but c'mon

Double Barrel
10-06-2008, 02:18 PM
True but they left.

Why did they leave?

Money.

I've got to agree with eriadoc. Anyone rooting for the Houston Texans after six plus seasons of crap football is a true fan. And it doesn't look like this season will end up as a wining effort, so make that seven seasons.

As far as justifying Pud Adams history, shame on you (!;)!). Pud made money on the Houston market. It was all about power and his desire to OWN the stadium without the involvement of the Houston Rodeo.

I don't make a lot of money. I'd venture that I make a whole lot less than most people on this board (save for students and perhaps retired folks). With two kids and another on the way, it is a simple matter of economics about affordability and return on the investment.

But I'm a Houston Texans fan for life. Buying season tickets has nothing to do with that status.

Ole Miss Texan
10-06-2008, 02:19 PM
The Texans are like a drug-addicted friend.

Those that don't know them instantly flame and scold them. Those close to them support them and want them to get better. Those that are extremely close / almost like family slap them in the face and tell them to shut the **** up and get better.

Sometimes the ones that are hardest on the Texans happen to be the most loyal fans. :cool:

imatexan
10-06-2008, 02:25 PM
This is an interesting question and one day soon it will affect me, I know this might sound bad but the thought of not having Texans season tickets is ONE of the reasons that makes me want to be sucessfull. Since the first NFL seaon my family,friends, friends of the family pretty much everyone that i have a close relationship too had season tickets at some point. I never had a problem getting tickets to a game and never had to pay for any games. However, if the situation comes up I do have a stash that is put away just for that reason(not being able to get tickets).

TexansFight
10-06-2008, 02:27 PM
The fans on this board and who fill up Reliant or anything but fair-weather fans. We are some of the heartiest and loyal fans around. Along with the Lions, no other fan base has suffered as much as we have. This town and the fans of this team deserve a better product on the field.

The Oilers had several bad stretches but they NEVER had as bad a stretch as the Texans have had. The longest the Oilers sucked before becoming a playoff team was 5 years according to my memory. We are in year 7 with no realistic shot of playoffs or a winning record.

eriadoc
10-06-2008, 02:40 PM
OK, since no one is really answering the original question, I'll redraft it. Prices are going to continue to rise, irrespective of the wins and losses - that is the reality of the NFL right now. How high will be too high for you? If they're winning, I expect that number will be higher than it will if they continue to lose at the pace they've shown so far, but what is that number for you?

Kaiser Toro
10-06-2008, 02:48 PM
By my estimates $759.37 per win. Friggin ouch.

Seņor Stan
10-06-2008, 02:54 PM
I have it figured at about $5.08 per win. Just a few caps and a couple shirts.

Move the figure up to about $1,343 per win if you count lost productivity due to time spent posting at TexansTalk.com.

Brando
10-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Per win? I think we will need a $700 Billion bailout as a fanbase.

bignasty
10-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Well I know I spent around 10,000 this year alone. I bought 4 additional PSl's and tickets plus more jersey's for the family

Polo
10-06-2008, 03:07 PM
It ain't trickin' if ya got it!

eriadoc
10-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Well I know I spent around 10,000 this year alone. I bought 4 additional PSl's and tickets plus more jersey's for the family

Well, since the original question was how much per win, you can't really answer yet ;)

jerek
10-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Since you're asking, I've spent approximately, oh, $30 or so per win. That's including a couple of jerseys/shirts and the 3 games I've paid to go to.

Tedc
10-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I guess I am in the minority here. I feel that because of the money that I have put in to see NFL action, and tailgating, I have had the pleasure to meet a lot of great people that I wouldn't have met otherwise. What price can you attach to that? I feel richer today than I did before the Texans began play.

Do I want them to win? You bet. Will I ***** about the losses? You bet. I will still be there when they begin to win because I am on this rollercoaster to stay.

Texan_Bill
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
I guess I am in the minority here. I feel that because of the money that I have put in to see NFL action, and tailgating, I have had the pleasure to meet a lot of great people that I wouldn't have met otherwise. What price can you attach to that? I feel richer today than I did before the Texans began play.

Do I want them to win? You bet. Will I ***** about the losses? You bet. I will still be there when they begin to win because I am on this rollercoaster to stay.

QFT!!! I'll ***** because I want to win too, but I still appreciate having a team for the very reasons Ted mentioned.. Also add, if there were no team, what the hell would we all being doing with our time right now??

Double Barrel
10-06-2008, 05:04 PM

nah, you're not in the minority, my friend. It's just an emotional venting session within 24 hours after a tough loss. I think most folks will regain perspective once the dust settles and we get ready to gear up for the Dolphins game.

I agree with your points about the experience and friendships formed.

But, you have to admit that it becomes difficult to keep that appreciation in the forefront of thought when the product increases in price every year in spite of being a relatively bad product. And like you said, it is all about the money at the end of the day, and it's tough to see the friendship forest when you can't see through the money trees. :shades:

I have struggled to pay for my ticket the past couple of seasons, and it was only through the gracious Christmas gifts in the form of cash from relatives, wife, and friends that I have bought them the past couple of years. So maybe I just don't make enough to really justify the purchase, but being a fanatic the people in my life see how much it means to me to go to the games. I'm sure Dave Ramsey thinks I'm being stupid about it.

Speedy
10-06-2008, 05:26 PM
My best lowball guesstimation for 20 home wins, not including pre-season, is about $620 per win.

OUCH!!!!

Tedc
10-06-2008, 05:26 PM
I have struggled to pay for my ticket the past couple of seasons, and it was only through the gracious Christmas gifts in the form of cash from relatives, wife, and friends that I have bought them the past couple of years. So maybe I just don't make enough to really justify the purchase,

Could you imagine if you were (what an awful thought) a Cowboys fan? They will be completely finacially locked out of the new stadium.

Double Barrel
10-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Could you imagine if you were (what an awful thought) a Cowboys fan? They will be completely finacially locked out of the new stadium.

yeah, I've got some friends up in the Ft. Worth area that are fit to be tied about that particular subject. Jones is pricing the little guy out of the market, and there are plenty of willing deep pockets to buy up those expensive PSL's so it doesn't really matter to the owner.

Back to our subject, some non-football fan friends of mine ask me about the costs. When I tell them they tend to gasp and talk about how 'expensive' it is. But, when I point out that the gameday is approximately 9-10 hours long with tailgating and the game, which works out to about $6-$7/hour with your best friends, they start to see the bigger picture of it all.

Texan_Bill
10-06-2008, 05:50 PM
* Original PSL - $1,800.00

* Average cost of seats over 6 seasons $66.00 x 2 seats = $ 132.00 (per game) x 63 home games (including preseason) = $8,300.00

* Average cost of parking $30.00 x 63 games = $ 1,890.00

* Average food and beverage (includes tailgating and inside Reliant Stadium) $ 150.00 x 63 games = $ 9,450.00

= $ 21,440.00 / 32 wins = $670.00 per win

:yikes:

*switches to Busch Light and hot dogs*

Brando
10-06-2008, 05:52 PM
* Original PSL - $1,800.00

* Average cost of seats over 6 seasons $66.00 x 2 seats = $ 132.00 (per game) x 63 home games (including preseason) = $8,300.00

* Average cost of parking $30.00 x 63 games = $ 1,890.00

* Average food and beverage (includes tailgating and inside Reliant Stadium) $ 150.00 x 63 games = $ 9,450.00

= $ 21,440.00 / 32 wins = $670.00 per win

Having a NFL team back in Houston, Priceless!:texflag:

Texan_Bill
10-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Having a NFL team back in Houston, Priceless!:texflag:

If I were to figure out what I would have spent in a Gentlemen's establishment over that same period, I would think the Texans are an awesome investment in comparison.... :smiliedance:

cuppacoffee
10-06-2008, 07:52 PM

I saw a clip on one of the news shows about a Jets fan who's 4 psl's in their new stadium is going to cost him $80,000. He has been a Jets fan for many years but now will lose his tickets. :mad:

Fans are being priced out...only the large corporations will be able to afford tickets to give to their favored customers. Probably non fans who will come late and leave early. Drinking and visiting, not having a clue what's happening on the field.

Next step is all games being broadcast on NFL network, pay per view. :money:

It's coming folks.

Capitalism/greed at it's finest...:bigboss:

:coffee:

awtysst
10-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Total $ spent on Reliant tickets: $300
02 Liberty White Texans jersey:$10
Red Texans cap and black Texans beanie: $5 total.
Total $ spent on refreshments@ Reliant: $80
Total $ spent at Solider field: $75
Total $ spent on refreshments at Soldier Field: $20

Total games attended (including road game in Chicago):5
Total victories witnessed: 4
Total cost per victory(per person): $122.50/2= $61.25

This does not take into account the $ I have spent at the sports bar.
I have probably spent another $450 on the Texans there.