PDA

View Full Version : Just rewatched Jacks game

dalemurphy
10-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Ugggghh! I had forgotten that we had Jacksonville 4th and 8 on their last drive in the 4th quarter. Man, that game was ours to win.

thoughts:

1. Both Okoye and Robinson did a good job collapsing the pocket most of the day.

2. What's amazing to me is how quickly receivers are open when we drop 7 men. This must be a result of scheme, LBs, and/or safeties not doing their jobs most of the time.

3. Once again, Mario was excellent.

4. Duane Brown was absolutely awesome! He never received help. He picked up blitzes, once even passing the DE to the guard while he came off and got the blitzing CB and drove him out of the play. On Slaton's long run of 13, he made a diving cut block on the Lb to free up the second half of that run.

5. The combination of Briesel and Meyers simply aren't getting the job done in the run or pass game.

6. Bentley should be on the field instead of Diles or Greenwood.

7. Right now Reeves is our best CB.

buddyboy
10-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Ugggghh! I had forgotten that we had Jacksonville 4th and 8 on their last drive in the 4th quarter. Man, that game was ours to win.

thoughts:

1. Both Okoye and Robinson did a good job collapsing the pocket most of the day.

2. What's amazing to me is how quickly receivers are open when we drop 7 men. This must be a result of scheme, LBs, and/or safeties not doing their jobs most of the time.

4. Duane Brown was absolutely awesome! He never received help. He picked up blitzes, once even passing the DE to the guard while he came off and got the blitzing CB and drove him out of the play. On Slaton's long run of 13, he made a diving cut block on the Lb to free up the second half of that run.

5. The combination of Briesel and Meyers simply aren't getting the job done in the run or pass game.

Ouch. Bennet needs to wake up, and soon, otherwise Peyton is going to shred us. Honestly, sometimes I was actually happy to see Faggins on the field. :hides:

Texan_Bill
10-01-2008, 02:03 PM

:thinking: That doesn't bode well... Not that I'm a Reeves hater, but still.....

HOU-TEX
10-01-2008, 02:06 PM

thoughts:

Wow! I actually agree with you. :)

disaacks3
10-01-2008, 02:10 PM
:thinking: That doesn't bode well... Not that I'm a Reeves hater, but still.....
I too flinched at that...truth hurts.

The 4th and 8 came down to us missing an assignment by the numbers (scheme). DeMeco was the only guy with a chance to get Garrard, but if he'd attacked too soon (left his coverage assignment), Garrard would've dumped it to the open receiver w/ the same end result.

HJam72
10-01-2008, 02:29 PM

Yeah, that one really hurt.

thoughts:

Okoye's bad rep. right now is kind of undeserved, although I still question the draft pick based on things completely outside of his control.

Scary, ain't it? I think it might be all of the above.

Another good draft choice by Smithiak.

Biggest reason I wanted to reply. Meyers and Briesel are making our O-line weak in the middle. :wild::foottap:

Yep. Is Bentley the one who came in real shortly for Ryans and had a couple good tackles? I don't know about moving Ryans over, but that guy needs to be on the field somewhere.

Ouch. No, double-ouch. :headhurts: Bennett needs to get it together. Still hoping for a healthy return for D-Rob.

drewmar74
10-01-2008, 03:16 PM

These two points in particular jumped out at me. There were a couple of plays that Mario was an RCH away from pancaking Garrard. He was a factor all game long so I think to say that MW was excellent is absolutely correct.

I didn't watch too much of Brown as an individual but I did notice that his name was never called which to me is the biggest statement about a "big ugly's" play. It was a nice change of pace after the Pittsburgh game. I really felt for the big guy during that one.

Mr teX
10-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Ouch. Bennet needs to wake up, and soon, otherwise Peyton is going to shred us. Honestly, sometimes I was actually happy to see Faggins on the field. :hides:

that is until you saw him whiffing on a tackle during that fake punt....

Mr teX
10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah, that one really hurt.

Okoye's bad rep. right now is kind of undeserved, although I still question the draft pick based on things completely outside of his control.

Scary, ain't it? I think it might be all of the above.

Another good draft choice by Smithiak.

Biggest reason I wanted to reply. Meyers and Briesel are making our O-line weak in the middle. :wild::foottap:

Yep. Is Bentley the one who came in real shortly for Ryans and had a couple good tackles? I don't know about moving Ryans over, but that guy needs to be on the field somewhere.

Ouch. No, double-ouch. :headhurts: Bennett needs to get it together. Still hoping for a healthy return for D-Rob.

If i remember correctly, Meco was an OLB at Alabama. He was converted to MLB when he hit the pros so i don't think it would be a stretch to put him on the outside if they felt they had to get this kid bentley in there somehow. It likely won't happen though for various reasons.......don't quote me this though.

gtexan02
10-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I watched the highlights. How many times in a ROW did JVille scramble Garrard out of the pocket and get at least 5+ yards? Ouch

Fool me once, etc etc

Honoring Earl 34
10-01-2008, 03:32 PM

The 4th and 8 came down to us missing an assignment by the numbers (scheme). DeMeco was the only guy with a chance to get Garrard, but if he'd attacked too soon (left his coverage assignment), Garrard would've dumped it to the open reeiver w/ the same end result.

I think this is the play that Mario was standing up between the guard and tackle on the left . Thompson was right next to him standing up . Earl Cochran did an inside move from the RE position and Garrard saw nothing but open field .

After the play the announcer said ... sometimes you can get to cute . That's not cute that's ugly .

Hooston Texan
10-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I think this is the play that Mario was standing up between the guard and tackle on the left . Thompson was right next to him standing up . Earl Cochran did an inside move from the RE position and Garrard saw nothing but open field .

After the play the announcer said ... sometimes you can get to cute . That's not cute that's ugly .

That was not the 4th down play. The play you are referring to was a little earlier in the drive--Jax had a 3rd and 10 from our 48 with 4:54 to go (per the play-by-play). Had we stopped them there, they probably punt given the time and field position. But that's the play where Mario was standing and then everyone rushed to the right and nobody had contain to the left and Garrard trotted for the first down.

The 4th and 8 play was a classic example of the DT's losing middle contain. They both blew past (or got pushed past) Garrard and got bunched in with the DEs behind him. Had one of them done their jobs correctly, they would have at least been in front of Garrard. But neithed did, so all the linemen (OL and DL) ended up behind Garrard, letting him run in whatever direction he pleased.

mussop
10-01-2008, 04:17 PM

thoughts:

Think how different the attitude of this board would be if we would of stopped them on that one 4th down play.

1. Both Okoye and Robinson did a good job collapsing the pocket most of the day. I really like this Robinson kid. Him and Okoye will only get better.

Our OLB's are horrific!!!

He is the MAN!!

Passing on Mendenhall is looking smarter and smarter.

Briesel really makes me (miss) Weary.

After Ryans got hurt I was surprised Bently was subbed in at MLB. I would of though they would of slided Diles to the middle and put Bently on the outside. After seeing how good Bentley did in the middle I would like to see a lineup of Ryans and Adibi on the outside and Bentley in the middle.

I hate to throw judgement on our secondary until we develope some kind of a pass rush.

Double Barrel
10-01-2008, 04:20 PM

No doubt about it. Vinny and I were texting back and forth, and I told him that the 4th and 8 was going to haunt us if we couldn't stop it. Our current defense doesn't seem to be able to fight it's way out of a wet paper bag. That's gotta' change if we want to win any games this season.

Thanks for the game re-cap, too!

Jackie Chiles
10-01-2008, 04:50 PM
After seeing how good Bentley did in the middle I would like to see a lineup of Ryans and Adibi on the outside and Bentley in the middle.

Ryans is too entrenched at the Mike for them to make that kind of a move but I really wonder if that wouldn't be our most productive combination of linebackers. Hopefully we get to at least see some glimpses of Adibi soon.

Seņor Stan
10-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the game re-crap, too!

Fixed it for you.

But seriously, nice recap dale.

Tailgate
10-01-2008, 05:01 PM

Yup. Our future still has Dunta in it. How he comes back and how close he gets his form back to where he was before the injury is huge. Not to mention Molden should hopefully have a say in the #2 spot. Bennett is looking more and more like depth. Maybe its just a bad spell.. but we will see. Then we still have to draft a top playmaking saftey or get one in free agency. Our secondary right now is knowhere where it will be 12 months from now.

J-Russ
10-01-2008, 05:42 PM

thoughts:

Good stuff.

The one on D.Brown really excites me, so I guess we can now put the LT as a need to a rest.

I knew coming into this year that Brisel was going to suck, I'm disappointed that Myers is also in that sucky class that his RG is in.

I think we should put Bently as our SLB, and Adibi as our WLB. Hopefully our coaches are considering it, I can't stand another week of whiff tackling.

Number 7 is really saying alot... Bennett and co. must be really sucking if you're saying Reeves is playing on a another level then they are.... considering how he got burned and picked on the whole game.

Hopefully now people will lay off Okoye, I think he's going to start turning it up last Mario did last year... it would help if he had a competent DT next to him. Thank god TJ is out now and Zgnonia is in... this will work for now.

Runner
10-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Think how different the attitude of this board would be if we would of stopped them on that one 4th down play.

If pigs had wings they could fly. But pigs don't, and the Texans didn't - as usual. The attitude is justified.

Polo
10-01-2008, 06:10 PM
If pigs had wings they could fly. But pigs don't, and the Texans didn't - as usual. The attitude is justified.

I'd say seeing a flying pig is a whole lot less likely than us stopping Jacksonville on that fourth down.

Being one play away does not equal seeing a pig fly.

Runner
10-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Different likelihoods certainly. Sadly that wasn't reality.

Maybe when the Texans start coming through in the clutch when they have the chance the attitudes will change. Until then, some fans don't take pride in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

alphajoker
10-01-2008, 08:15 PM

The 4th and 8 came down to us missing an assignment by the numbers (scheme). DeMeco was the only guy with a chance to get Garrard, but if he'd attacked too soon (left his coverage assignment), Garrard would've dumped it to the open receiver w/ the same end result.

I just watched the game myself and after watching this play a few times, I thought to myself...now would have been the perfect time to have Weaver or any DL drop into coverage. If you drop a DL back into coverage on that play, you at least have a someone between the 1st down line and the QB. Once DeMeco covered Taylor in the flat, the whole middle to right side of the field was open and Garrard wisely used his feet to move the chains. Richard Smith was just outcoached again.

BigBull17
10-02-2008, 12:26 PM

You sir, have a sick sense of humor...

BigBull17
10-02-2008, 12:30 PM
After Ryans got hurt I was surprised Bently was subbed in at MLB. I would of though they would of slided Diles to the middle and put Bently on the outside. After seeing how good Bentley did in the middle I would like to see a lineup of Ryans and Adibi on the outside and Bentley in the middle.

If they slide meco to OLB, I may weep. If you do that, there is no way you should have passed on Pat Willis. Man is an animal, and would make a huge difference in our D.

Spike
10-02-2008, 01:31 PM
If i remember correctly, Meco was an OLB at Alabama. He was converted to MLB when he hit the pros so i don't think it would be a stretch to put him on the outside if they felt they had to get this kid bentley in there somehow. It likely won't happen though for various reasons.......don't quote me this though.

Agreed. I also agree that it is crazy to move a pro bowl player from his position - but this team has to get the best 11 guys on the field. If that means moving Ryans over, then so be it.

The Pencil Neck
10-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Who are our 3 best linebackers? Whoever they are, we need them on the field.

Really, really badly.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Thompson, Ryans, and Bentley out there.

Use Thompson primarily as a blitzer who gets to move around a lot. Ryans and Bentley have primary responsibility of stopping the run and secondary responsibility of underneath coverage or man to man with the RB's.

We still go with 4 down linemen (Cochran, Okam/Z, Okoye/TJ, MW) but they're just almost always supplemented by Thompson rushing. We go with a scheme where the idea is for most everyone to get penetration and disruption on every play. That should disrupt the run plays as well as get pressure on the QB.

In the secondary, we go with tight man coverage. It's on the safeties to cover the TE.

But... that's just me.

:fans:

Mr teX
10-02-2008, 01:57 PM

Really, really badly.

Use Thompson primarily as a blitzer who gets to move around a lot. Ryans and Bentley have primary responsibility of stopping the run and secondary responsibility of underneath coverage or man to man with the RB's.

We still go with 4 down linemen (Cochran, Okam/Z, Okoye/TJ, MW) but they're just almost always supplemented by Thompson rushing. We go with a scheme where the idea is for most everyone to get penetration and disruption on every play. That should disrupt the run plays as well as get pressure on the QB.

In the secondary, we go with tight man coverage. It's on the safeties to cover the TE.

But... that's just me.

I'm with you on almost everything except the bolded. TJ doesn't need to see the field at all...dude's garbage. Get Robinson instead.

The Pencil Neck
10-02-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm with you on almost everything except the bolded. TJ doesn't need to see the field at all...dude's garbage. Get Robinson instead.

I think TJ's problem is that he's just been used out of position. But I like Robinson, too.

barrett
10-02-2008, 05:24 PM
I hate to throw judgement on our secondary until we develope some kind of a pass rush.

Fair enough. I admire your patience.

HJam72
10-02-2008, 05:55 PM
TJ for Okoye's backup. :texflag: :fans::bouncey:

Goldensilence
10-02-2008, 05:56 PM
I think TJ's problem is that he's just been used out of position. But I like Robinson, too.

Agreed.Both(Amobi and TJ) need to stop being treated like stand up DTs and instead gap penetrating DTs.

I also don't think we have the best 3 linebackers on the field.

The lack of player development in our defensive backfield is staggering.

markn
10-02-2008, 10:24 PM

Sad but true.

drewmar74
10-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Agreed.Both(Amobi and TJ) need to stop being treated like stand up DTs and instead gap penetrating DTs.

I also don't think we have the best 3 linebackers on the field.

Agreed on the DT's. How did Okam play last weekend? I know he saw some playing time but, I have to admit, I didn't pay much attention to the trenches - I was too busy watching Garrard run all over us.

Best 3 linebackers? Ryans outside, Adibi outside, Bentley at the mike?

mussop
10-02-2008, 11:21 PM
If they slide meco to OLB, I may weep. If you do that, there is no way you should have passed on Pat Willis. Man is an animal, and would make a huge difference in our D.

Tell me about it. Willis was my guy in that draft. I still think Okoye will become a very good player but the thought of Willis and Ryans flying all over the field made me drool.

BattleRedToro
10-03-2008, 06:49 AM

Really, really badly.

But... that's just me.

The only problem I see in your analysis is the possibility that Okam is not ready to start. This is assuming that the starters will spend more time on the field than the backups. If you were calling for the type of rotation where the named starter is really insignificant due to the constant substitution of players to keep the line fresh then my point is moot. Otherwise, I believe Zgonina should be the starter until Okam is ready to take over. Okam should still see significant time on the field to gage his progress, that way the coaches will know when he is ready to takeover as the starter.

The Pencil Neck
10-03-2008, 12:00 PM
The only problem I see in your analysis is the possibility that Okam is not ready to start. This is assuming that the starters will spend more time on the field than the backups. If you were calling for the type of rotation where the named starter is really insignificant due to the constant substitution of players to keep the line fresh then my point is moot. Otherwise, I believe Zgonina should be the starter until Okam is ready to take over. Okam should still see significant time on the field to gage his progress, that way the coaches will know when he is ready to takeover as the starter.

I'll go along with that. But right now, Okam seems to be the only guy not getting pushed back consistently. Zgonina has gotten canned several times over the past couple of games and I don't know if he's got what it takes to hold the point of attack like we need. But I'll settle for a rotation of Zgonina and Okam.

I don't want to see TJ in that position because I think he's out of position and I think when he's in there beside Amobi, our run defense becomes very suspect.

Porky
10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
I'd say seeing a flying pig is a whole lot less likely than us stopping Jacksonville on that fourth down.

Being one play away does not equal seeing a pig fly.

You sure about that?:thinking:

BattleRedToro
10-04-2008, 07:08 AM
I'll go along with that. But right now, Okam seems to be the only guy not getting pushed back consistently. Zgonina has gotten canned several times over the past couple of games and I don't know if he's got what it takes to hold the point of attack like we need. But I'll settle for a rotation of Zgonina and Okam.

I don't want to see TJ in that position because I think he's out of position and I think when he's in there beside Amobi, our run defense becomes very suspect.

I agree. TJ is playing out of position when he is in at Nose Tackle. He should be in a rotation with Amobi. Then, our 3-technique Tackle would remain fresh during the game. That should help the pass rush and the run defense: the pass rush due to fresh legs at the 3 and run defense due to better run stoppers at the nose.

leebigeztx
10-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I actually believe in the 24 hr rule after a game, but I've been busy lately and had the chance to rewatch the game again. Just a few things.

Poor technique. Many will say poor coachingand that can be part of it. Out of Garrad 23 completions, 17 or so were between the numbers. Out of those 17, 13 were the same route, the quick slant. Now, when a defender/cb is n press, the 1st deal is to get ur hands on the receiver and re-route the guy. Once u do that, u can't, I repeat, can't let guy get inside leverage. Everytime they needed a completion, they ran the slant, reeves gave up inside technique and its a easy completion. That is very,very poor technique in which the cb gave the qb a easy read.

The obvious, the scamble. There wassnt a person in the stadium who didn't think garrad wasn't going to scramble at the end. Where was the instructions to cup rush?The rush should have been so to surround garrad in the pocket, stay in the lanes and keep him inside without giving up lane integrity. At the end of the game, they gave up the integrity, garrad got loose and hurt the texans. Just a couple of observations. On to the colts game now.

CloakNNNdagger
10-04-2008, 09:53 PM
I actually believe in the 24 hr rule after a game, but I've been busy lately and had the chance to rewatch the game again. Just a few things.

Poor technique. Many will say poor coachingand that can be part of it. Out of Garrad 23 completions, 17 or so were between the numbers. Out of those 17, 13 were the same route, the quick slant. Now, when a defender/cb is n press, the 1st deal is to get ur hands on the receiver and re-route the guy. Once u do that, u can't, I repeat, can't let guy get inside leverage. Everytime they needed a completion, they ran the slant, reeves gave up inside technique and its a easy completion. That is very,very poor technique in which the cb gave the qb a easy read.

The obvious, the scamble. There wassnt a person in the stadium who didn't think garrad wasn't going to scramble at the end. Where was the instructions to cup rush?The rush should have been so to surround garrad in the pocket, stay in the lanes and keep him inside without giving up lane integrity. At the end of the game, they gave up the integrity, garrad got loose and hurt the texans. Just a couple of observations. On to the colts game now.

Blitzes were telegraphed routinely by stagnant formations that seldom changed during the count. In addition, it seemed that all of the lineman and LBs were trying to rush the QB from the outside instead of up the middle, possibly because they were physically overmatched. They were overpursuing. I wonder if Smith has ever heard of the concept of "spy."

RED_ROOSTER
10-05-2008, 11:17 AM
good points made