PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Weaver makes $6,200,000.00 this year

DiehardChris
09-30-2008, 03:11 AM
Er, I don't really have a point. I'm just saying. I hadn't glanced at the player salaries in a couple of months, and this just kind of made my jaw drop. I know it's not news - but... my god.

I mean, my GOD.

Earl Cochran was finally healthy enough to be activated this week - and he actually got a little bit of pressure. At this point, I would be totally okay with Weaver putting his six-million dollar ass on the bench and letting Earl start. How could it turn out ANY WORSE than it has so far? We all know Weaver is not a pass-rusher, but at his BEST he's been mediocre against the run - so why not trot Earl out there? Couldn't hurt, right?

RIGHT??

I need pills. The defensive line is killing my soul.

buddyboy
09-30-2008, 03:13 AM
Just another brilliant FA signing by the FO

nunusguy
09-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Just another brilliant FA signing by the FO

This is on Kubiak, this is his boy.
But for the record Rick Smith hadn't arrived on the local scene until after Kubiak picked up this guy in FA.

Runner
09-30-2008, 07:17 AM
As is common with almost any signing, the board in general was as excited to get this guy as Kubiak. Of course, the professionals are supposed to be better at this than the collective consciousness here.

BigBull17
09-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Wow, 1 million dollars a tackle...

gtexan02
09-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Its not like we could cut him and get that all as cap room. And its not like we're personally paying his salary. Frankly, I'm glad he's getting tons of McNair's money. McNair is a good businessman, and hopefully he is getting angry that non-producers are taking his hard earned money.

Sure he deserves to be either restructured or cut eventually, but as for now, his contract is what it is. Its not beneficial enough for us to cut him, so we've just got to hope he starts playing better

Grams
09-30-2008, 09:15 AM
There is an Anthony Weaver on this team? Making over 6 mill this year?

Where is he - someone needs to point him out to me. I don't think I have heard his name called once during a game or even seen him on TV during the game.

Are you sure he is on the Texans?

(I would add a sarcasm smiley, but had no idea where to find it.)

Mr teX
09-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Er, I don't really have a point. I'm just saying. I hadn't glanced at the player salaries in a couple of months, and this just kind of made my jaw drop. I know it's not news - but... my god.

I mean, my GOD.

Earl Cochran was finally healthy enough to be activated this week - and he actually got a little bit of pressure. At this point, I would be totally okay with Weaver putting his six-million dollar ass on the bench and letting Earl start. How could it turn out ANY WORSE than it has so far? We all know Weaver is not a pass-rusher, but at his BEST he's been mediocre against the run - so why not trot Earl out there? Couldn't hurt, right?

RIGHT??

I need pills. The defensive line is killing my soul.

Lol, even if he added his total production from last year to this year, he's still only actually earned about 1/300th of that.

The david carr of the defense....just absolutely stealing McNair's money.

will742
09-30-2008, 09:35 AM
I just threw up a little. :mcnugget:

Marcus
09-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Not defending Weaver at all here. He's been a total bust.

But still, hindsight comes into play here. If Kubiak knew beforehand that Weaver was going play like he is, he wouldn't have signed him. FA signings are just like draft picks, they are crap-shoots. You don't have a crystal ball in your back pocket.

IMO, FA signings, in general, are bad idea. No matter how good they were beforehand, once they get the big contract, there goes the incentive to perform.

I'm not excusing Kubiak here. It was his signing, and Weaver is making him look bad. But I'll best there's no one in the world that knows that more then Kubiak.

Vinny
09-30-2008, 10:07 AM

But still, hindsight comes into play here. If Kubiak knew beforehand that Weaver was going play like he is, he wouldn't have signed him. FA signings are just like draft picks, they are crap-shoots. You don't have a crystal ball in your back pocket.

actually signing a guy with 3 years of game film under his belt is totally different than drafting a rookie that has never played against the stronger quicker players of the NFL. Bobby Grier has done a miserable job scouting NFL FA players to date.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm sticking with the Smiles, Lollipops and Unicorns theme.... At least Weaver is a Jimi Hendirx and Led Zeppelin fan... :)

HOU-TEX
09-30-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm sticking with the Smiles, Lollipops and Unicorns theme.... At least Weaver is a Jimi Hendirx and Led Zeppelin fan... :)

Figures...:hobie:

Texan_Bill
09-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Figures...:hobie:

<------I'm sporting solidity with Celina.... BTW, nice Kubes, "Mr. Team Rainbow" :rolleyes:

Marcus
09-30-2008, 11:08 AM
actually signing a guy with 3 years of game film under his belt is totally different than drafting a rookie that has never played against the stronger quicker players of the NFL. Bobby Grier has done a miserable job scouting NFL FA players to date.

I think the 3 years of game film dictates how much money goes into the FA signing. I know there are exceptions, but for the most part, I think a player's best years come before he goes on the FA market. They don't ever play like they did pre-FA game film. Once they pocket the signing bonus, they know that's the last big pay-day. No reason to be hungry anymore.

beerlover
09-30-2008, 11:13 AM
its all about timing (off the field) he's a good guy blessed with outstanding gig so more power to him :)

if after that 05 season the Texans had any inkling at all that Mario Williams was going to be the pick (addressing DE) they could have upgraded another need, QB using money saved from Weaver signing & canceling Carr extension the Texans could have signed free agent QB Drew Brees http://www.squibkick.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/drew-bress-vs-cowboys.jpg

now I'd say he is tied to Richard Smith, who wanted him in the beginning. when one goes so shall the other :backsout:

Specnatz
09-30-2008, 12:53 PM

Yeah lets not look at what he did in baltimore, I mean that would not be prudent at all. Weaver has sucked and his first two years he was injured, add that to the fact that I am sure his numbers were completely inflated by the players he played around and then you add the Richard smith defensive scheme into the mix.

Again Hind sight ........................

edo783
09-30-2008, 01:08 PM
And he is earning every single nickle...................NOT.

Texecutioner
09-30-2008, 01:21 PM

IMO, FA signings, in general, are bad idea. No matter how good they were beforehand, once they get the big contract, there goes the incentive to perform.

I'm not excusing Kubiak here. It was his signing, and Weaver is making him look bad. But I'll best there's no one in the world that knows that more then Kubiak.

He was never that good in Baltimore. We gave him way to much money and over paid for what he was worth. Now we're having to stick with him even though it's like he isn't even out there on the field. Weaver is one of the wost signings that we've ever had.

spurstexanstros
09-30-2008, 01:30 PM

As has Amobi? why isnt any one on the guy who said he wanted 14 sacks this year.

ObsiWan
09-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah lets not look at what he did in baltimore, I mean that would not be prudent at all. Weaver has sucked and his first two years he was injured, add that to the fact that I am sure his numbers were completely inflated by the players he played around and then you add the Richard smith defensive scheme into the mix.

Again Hind sight ........................

ding!
ding!
ding!
ding!
We have a winner!

Texecutioner
09-30-2008, 01:43 PM
As has Amobi? why isnt any one on the guy who said he wanted 14 sacks this year.

Good question? I guess most people have been more concerned with so many other inefficiencies.

I haven't noticed him at all in these first few games. Has anyone been watching him play by play? Has he been affective at all?

spurstexanstros
09-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Good question? I guess most people have been more concerned with so many other inefficiencies.

I haven't noticed him at all in these first few games. Has anyone been watching him play by play? Has he been affective at all?

I did notice his # 91 jersey getting run over by gerrard for the go ahead score.

Vinny
09-30-2008, 01:56 PM

he gets pushed around easily.

powerfuldragon
09-30-2008, 02:07 PM
lol mcnair's getting robbed blind. poor guy.

Texecutioner
09-30-2008, 02:21 PM

Why do you think that is though? The guy looked like he had so much promise last year. What is it that he is or is not doing to get himself mentally ready to dominate? Do you think he lacks the strength because of his young age? He is the last guy I expected to struggle this year.

Vinny
09-30-2008, 02:40 PM

Why do you think that is though? The guy looked like he had so much promise last year. What is it that he is or is not doing to get himself mentally ready to dominate? Do you think he lacks the strength because of his young age? He is the last guy I expected to struggle this year. The reason sophomore slumps are common at the pro level is that when you are a rookie there is really no 'book' on your game when it comes to dealing with groups of the fastest big men on the planet. Okoye now as a 'book' and teams are exploiting his lack of size and he hasn't been able to generate enough explosion to leverage the blockers in front of him to win enough battles. A smallish DT has to use quickness and leverage on larger men since he isn't going to bullrush too many NFL Guards into the QB unless they are off their center of balance. I wouldn't consider him a bust yet but we need to see an occasional impact play or hes no better than guys you should be able to get in the 4th and 5th rounds. I still like the chances that he will be a better player later but the more he shows up and gets pushed around the less I like those chances as the weeks unfold.

Mr teX
09-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Why do you think that is though? The guy looked like he had so much promise last year. What is it that he is or is not doing to get himself mentally ready to dominate? Do you think he lacks the strength because of his young age? He is the last guy I expected to struggle this year.

as vinny said he is getting pushed around easily, but some of that's b/c the defensive genius Richard Smith doesn't have him playing towards his strengths. He has him holding up guys a good portion of the time instead of letting him use his speed, 1 of the main things that made him stand out at Louisville.

& trying to hold the point against 300-600 lbs of meat is a tough deal for a barely 21 undersized DT. His situation is reminiscent of when they were trying to line Mario up everywhere on the D-line when he was a rookie; another example of not really playing a guy to his strengths.