PDA

View Full Version : Rams fire Linehan, sources say; Haslett expected to take over

Kaiser Toro
09-29-2008, 08:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3615358

St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan has been fired, two team sources said Monday morning.

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, a former head coach of the New Orleans Saints, was expected to be named interim coach, but details had not been finalized.

An official statement from the team was expected for around 9:30 a.m. ET.

Linehan asked for and received permission to address the team today when it reports for practice, the sources said.

The Rams dropped to 0-4 on Sunday with a 31-14 loss to the Buffalo Bills (4-0).

Linehan, 11-25 in his third season, last week was put on notice to make immediate improvements by owner Chip Rosenbloom.

After three blowout losses to open the season, Linehan benched quarterback Marc Bulger in favor of 38-year-old Trent Green. Linehan had six new starters in all, four on defense.

Rams running back Steven Jackson, who had criticized Linehan's decision to bench Bulger during his weekly radio show, had 110 yards on 24 carries and five catches for 78 yards.

Linehan had said he would meet with Jackson to discuss the radio-show comments before Sunday's game.

"I haven't talked to him about it but I will," Linehan said Friday. "No comment on it. Again, we're in this together and we're trying to find solutions to what has not been a good start to the season with our record.

"To sit here and not make some decisions, which are hard decisions for a head coach, I would not be doing my job. I will take at some point soon time to talk to Steven about it.."

In addition to pulling Bulger from the lineup, Linehan also released Fakhir Brown, a starting cornerback the past two seasons and a favorite of Haslett.

texasguy346
09-29-2008, 08:56 AM
With Haslett acting as the new head coach the Rams will go on to the Super Bowl for the NFC. :sarcasm:

They're an awful team right now, and they have no heart it seems.

HOU-TEX
09-29-2008, 10:05 AM
With Haslett acting as the new head coach the Rams will go on to the Super Bowl for the NFC. :sarcasm:

They're an awful team right now, and they have no heart it seems.

Yeah, the Rams defense has been awesome under Haslet. LOL!

The Rams are in complete disarray right now.

drewmar74
09-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah, the Rams defense has been awesome under Haslet. LOL!

The Rams are in complete disarray right now.

Maybe we can trade them Rick Smith for a six pack of Shiner?

Corrosion
09-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Maybe we can trade them Rick Smith for a six pack of Shiner?

You wouldnt get a six pack of warm backwash for Dick Smith .... much less Shiner.

WWJD
09-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I'd be on the phone yesterday if I were them to Cowher.

texasguy346
09-29-2008, 10:43 AM
I'd be on the phone yesterday if I were them to Cowher.

And if I were Cowher I'd keep dodging the Rams' phone calls & any number in that area code. He's got a nice gig at the moment with CBS, and when he does decide to return to coaching I'm sure he'll pick a better landing spot than St. Louis.

TexanSam
09-29-2008, 11:10 PM
I remember I wanted the Texans to give Linehan a long look and potentially hire him. And that's how I didn't get to be part of the front office.

cuppacoffee
09-30-2008, 09:05 AM
I remember I wanted the Texans to give Linehan a long look and potentially hire him. And that's how I didn't get to be part of the front office.

Me too.:redface:

:coffee:

texanhead08
09-30-2008, 09:43 AM
You guys I'm sure weren't the only ones. Linenhan was the hot coord a few years ago, but as you see not everyone is cut out to be a head coach. There are some on this board that thinks Kubiak is an *****, but look what we could have ended up with.

kastofsna
09-30-2008, 05:11 PM
from the pan to the fire

jlam
10-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Hide the cheerleaders.