PDA

View Full Version : Benson cleared

ArlingtonTexan
09-25-2008, 07:32 PM
per profootballtalk.com

Former Bears running back Cedric Benson has been cleared of drunk driving and drunk boating, reports Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times.

A grand jury declined to indict Benson on charges stemming from his May and June arrests.

It was those arrests that triggered Benson’s termination by the Bears. He he since drawn little interest.

“Cedric is grateful to all who have supported him,” his attorney, Sam Bassett, said in a statement. “It was particularly difficult for him to lose the job that he loved with the Bears. He is eager to have an opportunity to again demonstrate that he is a quality running back who can contribute to a winning team. More importantly, he intends to demonstrate that he is worthy of being a positive role model in his community. He has learned much from this ordeal.”

Texecutioner
09-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Got his attourney's phone number by chance?

Stemp
09-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Got his attourney's phone number by chance?

Sorry, he's full time retainer for Texas athletes and athletic alumni. :cowboy1:

Texecutioner
09-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Sorry, he's full time retainer for Texas athletes and athletic alumni. :cowboy1:

Shoot, the guy has gotta be pretty good man to get him off of both cases like that. :cowboy1:

Koolaid Time
09-25-2008, 08:41 PM
"Magical" things always happen in Travis County Grand Juries with former UT Football Players and DWI charges--as long as nobody was hurt in a wreck.

Kaiser Toro
09-25-2008, 09:34 PM
"Magical" things always happen in Travis County Grand Juries with former UT Football Players and DWI charges--as long as nobody was hurt in a wreck.

It escapes me, but what other former UT Football players who had DWI charges, after they graduated, were able to go before a Travis County Grand Jury and be acquitted?

Koolaid Time
09-25-2008, 10:04 PM
It escapes me, but what other former UT Football players who had DWI charges, after they graduated, were able to go before a Travis County Grand Jury and be acquitted?

Benson had a DWI dropped once before...

It is really amazing that a Grand Jury could find NO PC on ANY of the charges.. especially the resisting arrest.. when the cops had to pepper spray him to get him into cuffs and off the boat.

Kaiser Toro
09-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Benson had a DWI dropped once before...

It is really amazing that a Grand Jury could find NO PC on ANY of the charges.. especially the resisting arrest.. when the cops had to pepper spray him to get him into cuffs and off the boat.

He had two within a month timeframe.

Was this just a widebrush swipe? No big deal if it was, just asking.

Koolaid Time
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
He had two within a month timeframe.

He also had one back in 2002-- when he was a student there.

Was this just a widebrush swipe? No big deal if it was, just asking.

Ricky Williams had a DWI dismissed while he was at UT.

Seems like UT Football players do get a sweet deal-- as long as it isn't robbery, assauly, possession of controlled substances, etc.

bah007
09-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Maybe its because Travis County cops are for the most part, the worst cops in Texas.

Stemp
09-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Maybe its because Travis County cops are for the most part, the worst cops in Texas.

Were they Travis county or Austin PD? My understanding is that Austin PD is notorious for letting things slide for Texas players, especially on 6th St. But then, maybe that is how every college town's cops are.

bah007
09-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Were they Travis county or Austin PD? Austin PD is notorious for letting things slide for Texas players, especially on 6th St.

I'm pretty sure he was arrested on Lake Travis by Travis County officers.

Errant Hothy
09-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Bigge question is that now that he has been cleared, will anybody in the NFL have intrest or has he sucked too much since he entered the NFL?

Koolaid Time
09-25-2008, 11:24 PM
I think everyone is missing the point.

I don't care about the cops in Austin, or if they go easy on Texas players. Cedric Benson is now a viable RB walking the street with zero legal trouble. He may not have been a top tier RB in terms of productivity when he was the every down back for Chicago, but he was very productive as a change of pace back behind Thomas Jones. I think he would be a great "thunder" back to go along with Steve Slaton.

And the best part, now that hes walking the street, he doesn't have a top 5 pick contract that we have to deal with. I see no reason to not move on this guy today.

If I were Rick Smith, I'd cut Ahman Green immediately, and get on the horn with Cedric's agent.

Even if he is cleared of criminal charges, cant the Commish still keep him out?

El Tejano
09-25-2008, 11:54 PM
If for any reason, bring him in to get reps in practice. Ahman being out affects this team more than not being there at games. With very few runningbacks to practice with it puts limits on our offensive and defensive practices. Bring Benson in and get him going with this very young offense.

Wolf
09-26-2008, 12:03 AM
didn't he sign with detroit?
did i read that somewhere on here >?

drewmar74
09-26-2008, 09:41 AM

That was going around for a while. IIRC, Detroit brought him in for a "look see" in case of injury.

Showtime100
09-26-2008, 10:43 AM

Uh-uh. Williamson County, the county to the north bordering Travis has the worst cops in the state. I can't remember who it was, but an ex-player got off there too. No freaking way, you just have to see it to believe it.

This was just another drop in the hat for ex-UT players in this area.

Wolf
09-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Uh-uh. Williamson County, the county to the north bordering Travis has the worst cops in the state. I can't remember who it was, but an ex-player got off there too. No freaking way, you just have to see it to believe it.

This was just another drop in the hat for ex-UT players in this area.

williamson, is bad, I wouldn't so much a speed in that area

ChampionTexan
09-26-2008, 11:12 AM

You may be confusing him with Rudi Johnson.

Wolf
09-26-2008, 11:15 AM
yes I got confused, reports were he tried out

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53765

ArlingtonTexan
09-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Even if he is cleared of criminal charges, cant the Commish still keep him out?

Yes, if he feels there is a pattern of behavior.

Showtime100
09-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Yes, if he feels there is a pattern of behavior.

I would imagine after the Pacman decision the bar has been significantly lowered in term of what defines a pattern in the eyes of the NFL. No matter where Benson ends up he deserves no further action from the NFL and I hope he gets his chance. That would just be one injustice on top of another.

bah007
09-26-2008, 12:11 PM
We can all speculate, but we don't really "know" if Benson was cleared because he really was innocent or if it has to do with his UT ties.

With that said, if Chris Henry is even allowed to ever step on a football field again, then there is no grounds to keep Benson out of the league.

Maybe a short supsension would be a wake up call for him though.