PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Coordinator thought

ChampionTexan
09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
For a several different reasons (not the least of which is he's still employed), this is very unlikely to happen before the end of the season, but what's the reaction to bringing in Rod Marinelli as the new DC next season.

This of course assumes he's terminated as the HC of the Lions, but with the guy who hired him no longer there, and a pretty sad record during his tenure, I'm thinking there's a good chance it's his last year up there.

I don't know if they were more than rumors and speculation, but I know I heard his name mentioned as the guy Kubiak was going to hire as DC until Detroit offered him a head job. If nothing else, that leads me to believe Kubiak has some sort of relationship with the guy. He's actually never been a DC, but he was an Asst. HC at Tampa, and he's on of the list of guys coaching there under Dungee/Kiffin.

This is actually only partially driven by the discontent with Richard Smith and the performance of his defense (So I'm looking for thoughts a bit deeper than "Anybody's better than who we've got now"). It's also the idea that even if Richard Smith goes, you've got to replace him with the right guy, and while there are those on this board who believe a trained chimp would be an improvement, the reality is you don't look for just a slight upgrade, if you look for the absolute best guy you can hire. Anybody think Marinelli would be that guy?

infantrycak
09-24-2008, 03:35 PM
His highest D position has been DL coach. The D for the Lions has done what while he has been there?--28th one year and 32nd the other.

One guy we know Kubiak wanted is on the staff now--Bush. Boot Smith and experiment with Bush (no matter what caveat is made, that will draw comments).

painekiller
09-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Anybody think Marinelli would be that guy?

I think he would be a very strong hire for the DC/asst HC job.

Another candidate might be the guy who replaced him in Tampa, Larry Coyer (http://www.buccaneers.com/team/staffdetail.aspx?coachid=78).

Also Mike Nolan might be on the hot seat in SF. I would be happy with him, Mike Singletary or Greg Manusky. Anyone who has a connection to the Ravens defense that won the Super Bowl.

Ckw
09-24-2008, 03:52 PM
His highest D position has been DL coach. The D for the Lions has done what while he has been there?--28th one year and 32nd the other.

One guy we know Kubiak wanted is on the staff now--Bush. Boot Smith and experiment with Bush (no matter what caveat is made, that will draw comments).

I still do not understand why if Kubiak wanted Bush so bad he has not fired Smith and promoted Bush?? We have too many nice guys in this front office is what I am beginning to think...

ChampionTexan
09-24-2008, 03:59 PM
His highest D position has been DL coach. The D for the Lions has done what while he has been there?

I agree that Bush is a solid candidate, and one I wouldn't mind seeing him as the guy. I'm asking the question not because I'm convinced he's the right guy, but because I'm thinking about whether he's the right guy.

In terms of his highest D position being DL, typically, those hired as DC's are either moving up from position coach, or down from HC, so I don't agree that his lack of prior DC experience is a real negative. I think the success of guys like Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin, and to a lesser extent Herm Edwards says his pedigree to be a DC is sufficient.

As far as the Lions having a less than stellar Defense, it's a valid point, and perhaps a deal killer. Brian Billick, Dom Capers, Kevin Gilbride, Romeo Crennell and Marvin Lewis would tell you there's not always a direct correlation between success at a coordinator level and success on the same side of the ball at the HC level. Heck, based on his Indy experience, Tony Dungy might even partially agree with that one.

da Bull
09-24-2008, 04:23 PM
A couple of days ago in the "Texan Chick Blog" Stephanie said that all of the current defensive minds have input into the game plan, which I would assume includes both Bush and Rhodes. If this is the case, we probably have an amalgam of schemes/concepts. This "scheme by committee" shows either a lack of leadership on Smith's part for not defining the direction; Kubiak's part for not showing overall management; or both. If it's Kubiak's way of team management then no matter who the D.C. is, the outcome will be the same unless Kubiak changes his M.O.

TEXANRED
09-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Two words, Ray Rhodes.

Ole Miss Texan
09-24-2008, 04:43 PM
I've been wanting to start a thread for a while concerning our defensive personnel. Look at the players we currently have on our team and the coaches we currently have coaching them.

I think this is a great thread to explore both Defensive Schemes and Defensive Coordinators since the two should go hand in hand.

Before looking at DC's though, I think it's important for us to look at the players. Mainly Mario, Amobi, Demeco, etc. (all our "studs"). Do we want to continue as a 4-3 base defense or do we want to convert back to a 3-4? If we switch back would Amobi be an edge rusher, would Mario do well as a 3-4 end? Who would be NT- okam!? We can't field 3 LB's... how are we gonna field 4! I think Demeco would do well however he's used, what about the other LB's like Thompson, Bentley, Colvin... 3-4LBs? How does that affect the secondary? Draft coming up, we're talking about a lot of good LB's at the top.. :thinking:

So after we decide what we wanna do or what we can do with the current players... Do we go after a DC that generally favors a 4-3 or a 3-4?

I'm really interested to see all the changes that will be happening (around the league as well as in Houston).

HOU-TEX
09-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Two words, Ray Rhodes.

Nah, too soft.

We need to bring in a newbie. The SEC is known for some very good defenses. Willie Martinez from the Georgia Bulldogs for an example.

Ole Miss Texan
09-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Nah, too soft.

We need to bring in a newbie. The SEC is known for some very good defenses. Willie Martinez from the Georgia Bulldogs for an example.

I'm loving this idea. Who's the new Auburn DC, Rhodes? How has Muschamp looked in Austin? I'd love to get an SEC guy in here, have some scouts from the SEC follow him, and by gawd go get us some SEC defensive players in the draft. Demeco Ryans, Patrick Willis, Jerrod Mayo... the list goes on and on with stud SEC LB's and we need 2 more. :)

da Bull
09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
I've been wanting to start a thread for a while concerning our defensive personnel. Look at the players we currently have on our team and the coaches we currently have coaching them.

I think this is a great thread to explore both Defensive Schemes and Defensive Coordinators since the two should go hand in hand.

Before looking at DC's though, I think it's important for us to look at the players. Mainly Mario, Amobi, Demeco, etc. (all our "studs"). Do we want to continue as a 4-3 base defense or do we want to convert back to a 3-4? If we switch back would Amobi be an edge rusher, would Mario do well as a 3-4 end? Who would be NT- okam!? We can't field 3 LB's... how are we gonna field 4! I think Demeco would do well however he's used, what about the other LB's like Thompson, Bentley, Colvin... 3-4LBs? How does that affect the secondary? Draft coming up, we're talking about a lot of good LB's at the top.. :thinking:

So after we decide what we wanna do or what we can do with the current players... Do we go after a DC that generally favors a 4-3 or a 3-4?

I'm really interested to see all the changes that will be happening (around the league as well as in Houston).

I'm loving this idea. Who's the new Auburn DC, Rhodes? How has Muschamp looked in Austin? I'd love to get an SEC guy in here, have some scouts from the SEC follow him, and by gawd go get us some SEC defensive players in the draft. Demeco Ryans, Patrick Willis, Jerrod Mayo... the list goes on and on with stud SEC LB's and we need 2 more. :)

I think your base concept of discussion is great, but no need to wander into a discussion of SEC vs. the World....who's better? Let's talk about coordinator/defensive concepts.

Ole Miss Texan
09-24-2008, 05:47 PM
I think your base concept of discussion is great, but no need to wander into a discussion of SEC vs. the World....who's better? Let's talk about coordinator/defensive concepts.

I know... I know, I'm getting ahead of myself. What's the saying? "Old habits die hard." ? :heh:

TEXANRED
09-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Nah, too soft.

I wonder what Buddy Ryan is doing these days?

Malloy
09-24-2008, 07:30 PM
We can always try to get Capers back as DC :)

BattleRedToro
09-24-2008, 07:55 PM
I would love to see Jerry Glanville as the Defensive Coordinator of the Texans.

I know that we would bring more pressure, and we'd hit some people, instead of this no blitzing arm tackling D that Smith runs.

http://dawsonadvertiser.com/content/articles/2005/03/31/sports/news01.jpg

LonerATO
09-24-2008, 09:09 PM
oh snap the man in black! Get Elvis some tickets soon!

TEXANRED
09-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I would love to see Jerry Glanville as the Defensive Coordinator of the Texans.

I know that we would bring more pressure, and we'd hit some people, instead of this no blitzing arm tackling D that Smith runs.

http://dawsonadvertiser.com/content/articles/2005/03/31/sports/news01.jpg

Dude, don't tease like that. The day he got fired it was a sad sad day.

We would win this division if we had Glanville. But sadly, he is not goody goody enough so it would never happen.

You wanna talk about someone who could make Chicken salad out of Chicken poo, this is your man.

TexansSeminole
09-24-2008, 09:42 PM
One guy I would love to have on the Texans but it would be pretty difficult to get him:

Mickey Andrews

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/12/30/images/tb_fsu_andrews450.jpg

He's been the D-Coordinator for Florida State for 25 years. There is an outside chance that when Jimbo Fisher takes over for Bobby Bowden, Mickey Andrews may leave, or be replaced. I would hate to see it happen, and I would think it would be a really stupid move by Jimbo Fisher if he did it, but there is a small chance of it happening. I think Mickey thought he was going to be the next coach, and that's why he has been here for soooo long. He is 66 years old and has been coaching since 1965.

Experience:
1965-66 -- Erwin High School (assistant coach)
1966-67 -- Eastern Kentucky (offensive backs)
1967-70 -- Livingston (assistant coach)
1970-72 -- Livingston (head coach)
1972-76 -- North Alabama (head coach/athletic director)
1976-80 -- Clemson (defensive coordinator)
1980 -- Clemson (assistant head coach)
1981-82 -- Florida (defensive backs)
1983 -- Arizona Wranglers (USFL) (defensive coordinator)
1984-01 -- Florida State (defensive coordinator/defensive backs)
2002- -- Florida State (associate head coach/defensive coordinator/defensive backs)

He would be more than qualified IMO.

Some awesome quotes from him have been:

"I tell these guys all the time, you may be second team on that depth chart, but when you step out onto this field your a first teamer, and you need to play like a first teamer."

"We only had 6 missed tackles today, so that was good. Generally we try to keep it under 10, if you had under 10 missed tackles, then we played pretty good defense."

"Shutouts are good, you don't lose when you shut em out, but we only got one turnover in the whole ball game. We play 60 minutes and we only got one turnover to show for it? We need to work on that. But yea, the shutout is good."

"You can prevent penalties -- just don't do anything. We could go out there today and I promise you play 60 minutes and never get a penalty. But we aren't going to be any good on defense either."

and finally:

I kind of figure I have the best [assistant-coaching] job in America.

I'm sorry guys I just love this guy.

Texan JBZ
09-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Why Jerry Grey isn't a DC is beyond me. His defenses in Buffalo were always solid. What I liked the most is that they were salty. His players played with an edge which is what the doctor ordered for the Texans defense.

painekiller
09-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Why Jerry Grey isn't a DC is beyond me. His defenses in Buffalo were always solid. What I liked the most is that they were salty. His players played with an edge which is what the doctor ordered for the Texans defense.

He also would be a great hire. Surprised he is only a college position coach right now.

LonerATO
09-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Jerry is the HC of Portland State with Mouse Davis and I don't think he is going to leave anytime soon.

Texan JBZ
09-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Jerry is the HC of Portland State with Mouse Davis and I don't think he is going to leave anytime soon.

Portland State versus the NFL? I think Portland State loses that battle.

Goldensilence
09-25-2008, 12:02 AM
He also would be a great hire. Surprised he is only a college position coach right now.

Portland State versus the NFL? I think Portland State loses that battle.

You guys mean this Jerry Gray right?

http://www.redskins.com/gen/coaches/Jerry_Gray.jsp

leebigeztx
09-25-2008, 12:28 AM
I keep saying the same thing that they need to decide what kinda front they're going to be and go from there. Mario can 1 or 2 gap. TJ and Okye are 1 gappers while okam and zgoninia are 2 gappers and weavver sux. I think Okam should be in between mario and okoye with cochran on the otherside. Let okam 2 gap, mario, okoye, and cochran get upfield. Of course they could sign haynesworth or suggs and everything getseasier.

threetoedpete
09-25-2008, 01:08 AM

Well I'm not going to be drawn into one of these again. What I know for a fact is we ran five zone blitzes Sunday and five times no one got there. And the other little fact is they've been doing this non performance garbage for three years. Eventually, even John McClain will have to own up to the fact some of the talent on this team has been over hyped by the media. Maybe Bush can get something different out of them. What I'm seeing is they are bring their best efforts and their best efforts are putrid. Might be coaching philosophy. But I doubt it. How about they demote Smith now and let Bush game plan the games and see what's what and who's who ?

RipTraxx
09-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Well I'm not going to be drawn into one of these again. What I know for a fact is we ran five zone blitzes Sunday and five times no one got there. And the other little fact is they've been doing this non performance garbage for three years. Eventually, even John McClain will have to own up to the fact some of the talent on this team has been over hyped by the media. Maybe Bush can get something different out of them. What I'm seeing is they are bring their best efforts and their best efforts are putrid. Might be coaching philosophy. But I doubt it. How about they demote Smith now and let Bush game plan the games and see what's what and who's who ?

What did Bush do before he was here...? Im not a fan of DL coaches being a D Coord. Usually LB coaches make the the best DCs.

TEXANRED
09-25-2008, 06:40 AM

Grey wants to be in complete control of the defense. He wants to be the only one that can hire and fire. Basically he wants to be the HC of defense. Kubiak will not agree to that.

Ole Miss Texan
09-25-2008, 08:43 AM
What did Bush do before he was here...? Im not a fan of DL coaches being a D Coord. Usually LB coaches make the the best DCs.

Bush was the Linebackers coach with Arizona until we hired him. He's now the "Senior Defensive Assistant" but works closely with the Defensive Line. I'm not mistaken, Kubiak really wanted to hire Bush in 2006 but the Cardinals wouldn't let him go that year. From his resume, it seems he's really coached each 'unit', I wouldn't be surprised if he's next in line to take over, and it actually could have been a plan of Kubiak's from the beginning.
BUSH’S COACHING LEDGER
2007-08: Senior Defensive Assistant, Houston Texans
2006: Asst. Head Coach/Linebackers, Arizona Cardinals
2004-05: Linebackers, Arizona Cardinals
2001-03: Special Teams, Denver Broncos
2000: Secondary/Nickel Package, Denver Broncos
1995-99: Linebackers, Denver Broncos
1992-94: Linebackers, Houston Oilers
1987-92: Scout, Houston Oilers
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=21

Texan JBZ
09-25-2008, 08:55 AM
You guys mean this Jerry Gray right?

http://www.redskins.com/gen/coaches/Jerry_Gray.jsp

Yeah, that one. I didn't know if Zorn kept him on his staff or not.

HJam72
09-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Grey wants to be in complete control of the defense. He wants to be the only one that can hire and fire. Basically he wants to be the HC of defense. Kubiak will not agree to that.

If we had a good enough DC, I really wish Kubiak would agree to it. It seems like every head coach has their hands on one side of the ball that they probably shouldn't.

infantrycak
09-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Well I'm not going to be drawn into one of these again.

Drawn into one of what again?

Eventually, even John McClain will have to own up to the fact some of the talent on this team has been over hyped by the media. Maybe Bush can get something different out of them. What I'm seeing is they are bring their best efforts and their best efforts are putrid. Might be coaching philosophy. But I doubt it. How about they demote Smith now and let Bush game plan the games and see what's what and who's who ?

If your point is the talent needs an upgrade then sure that would help too. But (1) it is hard to do that mid-season and (2) different schemes take advantage of different types of talent. To me it does not appear Smith's schemes take advantage of what talent is on the field and maybe other schemes would take better advantage of what is on the roster. For example, even as a rookie Adibi might very well be playing for Dungy or guys who like speed over size.

hadaad
09-25-2008, 11:03 AM
I think he would be a very strong hire for the DC/asst HC job.

Another candidate might be the guy who replaced him in Tampa, Larry Coyer (http://www.buccaneers.com/team/staffdetail.aspx?coachid=78).

Also Mike Nolan might be on the hot seat in SF. I would be happy with him, Mike Singletary or Greg Manusky. Anyone who has a connection to the Ravens defense that won the Super Bowl.

Wasn't Coyer DC when Kubes was OC in Denver? THAT'S what we need.

MORE BRONCOS!

Goldensilence
09-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Drawn into one of what again?

If your point is the talent needs an upgrade then sure that would help too. But (1) it is hard to do that mid-season and (2) different schemes take advantage of different types of talent. To me it does not appear Smith's schemes take advantage of what talent is on the field and maybe other schemes would take better advantage of what is on the roster. For example, even as a rookie Adibi might very well be playing for Dungy or guys who like speed over size.

If that is the point he's trying to make no one is saying this defense couldn't use more talent. Question becomes do we need more talent to overcome putrid coaching? I like a guy like Zac Diles and yeah he's what looks like to be a hustle type player but at what point does his lack of speed become a detriment overall to the defense? I mean isn't that why Chaun Thompson and Kevin Bentley brought in? Not saying Adibi is a burner but our LB corps does lack some speed. Not saying Smith has been given all pros to work with but at this point three years into his tenure it's not like he hasn't been given ANYTHING to work with.

For a first time HC like Kubiak it should've been an imperative point to get a DC with a successful track record.

Polo
09-25-2008, 11:39 AM
I still think it's more talent/players vs what the co-ordinator is doing, but I won't argue that someone couldnt come in and take these same players and make more of them...

painekiller
09-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Wasn't Coyer DC when Kubes was OC in Denver? THAT'S what we need.

MORE BRONCOS!
Coyer oversaw an aggressive attaching defense that was in the top 10 almost every season. He utilizing his LBs much better than we have. Now he is working in the Tampa 2 and that defense was a top 10 defense.

I do not care where he coached, he was a success everywhere he has been.

threetoedpete
09-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Coyer oversaw an aggressive attaching defense that was in the top 10 almost every season. He utilizing his LBs much better than we have. Now he is working in the Tampa 2 and that defense was a top 10 defense.

I do not care where he coached, he was a success everywhere he has been.

So we're going back to the 34 ? Look, either you believe the OLBs are more than blue collar stop gaps or you don't. The conundrum is simply this, if you go with the non athletic OLBs you've got to upgrade the Safeties and or the off side end. They like their safeties. I don't like them but Smith and Kubiack do. After three years of sending people you've got to decide if it's scheme or the fact that they don't have anyone who has the ability to get there...under any circumstances. With any DC or scheme. What I'm seeing it's athletic ability. I've been wrong before. I'd rather be wrong on this one but I'm not. The production over the last three years proves it. They can't get there.

Goldensilence
09-25-2008, 06:31 PM
So we're going back to the 34 ? Look, either you believe the OLBs are more than blue collar stop gaps or you don't. The conundrum is simply this, if you go with the non athletic OLBs you've got to upgrade the Safeties and or the off side end. They like their safeties. I don't like them but Smith and Kubiack do. After three years of sending people you've got to decide if it's scheme or the fact that they don't have anyone who has the ability to get there...under any circumstances. With any DC or scheme. What I'm seeing it's athletic ability. I've been wrong before. I'd rather be wrong on this one but I'm not. The production over the last three years proves it. They can't get there.

Tampa 2 is usually a 3-4.

I hope we wouldn't consider going to a 3-4 talk about a monumental waste on Mario's Williams talent that'd prove to be.

painekiller
09-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Tampa 2 is usually a 3-4.

Last time I looked the Bucs run a 4-3, the Colts run a 4-3, the Bears run a 4-3, the Chiefs run a 4-3, and the Lions run a 4-3. That would cover the main Tampa 2 teams.

Tampa 2 is a 4-3, cover 2 can be used from any front. So no, I am not asking us to go back to a 3-4.

IMO other than Ryans, we have guys that could play well in the 3-4.

I am looking for a defense that will utilize a 1 gap DT, and the Tampa 2 would. BTW I grew up on the 46 defense and it was a fun to watch.

rickyb
09-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Two words, Ray Rhodes.

did buddy ryan spawn any children?

Kaiser Toro
09-25-2008, 09:26 PM
did buddy ryan spawn any children?

Rex and Rob, both DC's in the NFL.

Lucky
09-25-2008, 09:54 PM
...but what's the reaction to bringing in Rod Marinelli as the new DC next season.
My reaction is that Kubiak needs to turn this season around with the players and coaches he has.

One guy I would love to have on the Texans but it would be pretty difficult to get him:

Mickey Andrews

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/12/30/images/tb_fsu_andrews450.jpg

A good coach doesn't scream.

Signed,
Richard Justice

Goldensilence
09-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Last time I looked the Bucs run a 4-3, the Colts run a 4-3, the Bears run a 4-3, the Chiefs run a 4-3, and the Lions run a 4-3. That would cover the main Tampa 2 teams.

Tampa 2 is a 4-3, cover 2 can be used from any front. So no, I am not asking us to go back to a 3-4.

I am looking for a defense that will utilize a 1 gap DT, and the Tampa 2 would. BTW I grew up on the 46 defense and it was a fun to watch.

Doh... in between school and work today i was catching up a bit on the boards and put that up backwards. Been a long day between morning classes and 8 hr work shift. Please allow myself to take my shoe out of my mouth...right...now.

BattleRedToro
09-26-2008, 02:39 AM
I hope we wouldn't consider going to a 3-4 talk about a monumental waste on Mario's Williams talent that'd prove to be.

I don't think the problem is with Mario or DeMeco as far as playing the 3-4 is concerned, although I believe that the 4-3 better utilizes their talent. The problem is the waste of Amobi Okoye.

painekiller
09-26-2008, 11:35 AM
The problem is the waste of Amobi Okoye.

I think Okoye would be a 3-4 DE like Gary Walker. He reminds me of a young Walker when he first joined the Oilers.

My 3-4 would have Cochran, Okam, and Okoye as the down lineman, Mario would become the DeMarcus Ware of our LBs.

Now we would need some more LBs that could play, and they would need to be the larger type, not the shorter type we currently employ.

TexansSeminole
09-26-2008, 01:14 PM
We have the middle linebacker for the Tampa 2, but we don't have the outside linebackers, or the secondary, which is a huge part of the equation. Diles and Greenwood would get surgically defeated on every play. Xavier Adibi, based on his college play, has the ability to be a Tampa 2 style linebacker. We would also need a better pass rush as the front 4 needs to be able to get pressure alone in a successful Tampa 2. I think we have alot of good players on our defensive line but we need a more explosive, and frankly suitable player than Weaver is on the other side of Mario. Our secondary also doesn't cut it. Tackle missers like CC Brown are back breakers in a Tampa 2.

I'd like to see some form of a cover 2 system here if that's the direction we are going. It's a defense that can be extremely hard to beat if you have the players. You've just got to have the players.

Polo
09-26-2008, 01:17 PM
In case you guys didn't know, we run the Tampa 2 at times...

We were in the Tampa 2 on the now infamous Demeco on Hines Ward play...

HOU-TEX
09-26-2008, 01:21 PM

Yes we do. I reckon most, if not all teams run a version of the Tampa 2 at times.

TexansSeminole
09-26-2008, 01:21 PM

Yea, everyone runs the cover 2. I don't think we have the players to run it all the time like Tampa does.

Great thing about the Tampa 2 is that you can run it for the majority of the game. As long as you have the players.