PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak Presser Quotes

Brando
09-22-2008, 08:11 PM
A couple that was interesting, you can check out all of them at ht.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4658)

(on if he has decided to stick with QB Matt Schaub as the starter)

“Yeah, nothing’s changed. I’m trying to evaluate the ballgame to see how some of the things we’re doing so poorly that are not giving us a chance to win, but nothing has changed. Nothing’s changed with our team.”

on if they have the technology to rewind and watch replays before challenging a play)

“Our technology is whatever the visiting team gives us in the booths. So we’ve got TV up there. Sometimes we do get the replay; sometimes we don’t. So you have to make decisions. Unfortunately on the long pass, we did not see it until after they had went up and snapped the ball. That was a decision you just had to make off the cuff and I wish I’d a made it. I wish I’d have thrown it because it definitely would have come back.”

(on how tough it is to trust a player when they say to challenge a play)

“Sometimes it’s just your gut. I don’t know how to answer that question. I know Will (Demps) was hollering at me that I should challenge it. It’s just your gut whether you do it or not. So it’s just a mistake not to do it. I wish I would have done it.”

(on why you drop DE Mario Williams into coverage)
“Well, anytime you have a zone dog package, or you have a package for players, you can’t be 100 percent consistent just doing it one way. You have to show sometimes that you’ll be able to things more than one way. If he was always a rusher and Anthony (Weaver) was always your dropper or something, you get very predictable as a defense. So I think it actually helped us in the second half, as we went through the second half, to be more unpredictable.”

(on the red zone problems)

“First off, to get six trips down there, that’s a good thing. You like to get down there that much, but we weren’t very effective. We didn’t execute very well in the first half. In my opinion, we left 28 points out there in the first half not finishing off drives. Then in the second half, we give them the ball back on the 10, 11 and the one (yard lines). So that’s three times your ineffective down there. But when you don’t come away with points, it’s tough to win in this league.”

(on what he’s not happy about with the red zone offense after looking at film)

“Well, just not finishing. You have to find a way to score points down there. You have to find a way to score sevens. We had a drop down there; we had a busted play on a second down. I want to say a second-and-10 on the second drive. We had a totally busted play that we had worked on all week, and we busted it. You know, we had a third-down play where we had exactly what we wanted, exact defense, with two guys wide open and we don’t hold up to get the ball. I probably threw it too much in the second half in the re dzone, probably should have ran it more down there. But regardless, the bottom line is we didn’t finish down there.”

(on what he can tell fans who are down about the losses)
“Well, first off I’d tell them that we’re down, too. We’re disappointed in how we played. To me, yesterday, we’re in the football game all the way until the end. I mean, if we make one play in the third quarter, or fourth quarter, we’re right in that football game until the very end. So, we’re disappointed. We expect to play a lot better. We played two good football teams. We’re not playing very well right now. But we’re going to keep working and figure this out and play better football. We have another tough challenge this week.”

I would also like to give Dreesen props on his block on Vanden Bosch early in the game, he rang his bell, too bad we needed more of it.

I still love my Texans!

Discuss.....

imatexan
09-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Sounds exactly what I thought he was going to say, but then again what else more do we expect?

GP
09-22-2008, 10:18 PM
"...we're still evaluating..." = "I won't admit Matt Schaub can't hack it."

Kubiak has a hard head. Too many layers for the truth to penetrate quickly enough.

"Yeah, nothing's changed..." LOL. You can say THAT again.

Sheesh. Why didn't you apply for the A&M job, Gary?

GP
09-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Sounds exactly what I thought he was going to say, but then again what else more do we expect?

We expect to be one or two plays away from being right back in the game...instead of dominating our opponent.

We expect to continue to "evaluate," instead of ACTING ON A HUNCH.

I didn't think Gary Kubiak's era as Texans HC was going to end up being one big coach-speak session after another. Heck, Gary, just get a cardboard cutout and tape a recorded message to play during the pressers.

"The field was good."

"We battled hard."

"Of course we're disappointed about the loss."

"We just got to keep evaluating..."

Texans_Chick
09-22-2008, 11:46 PM
We expect to be one or two plays away from being right back in the game...instead of dominating our opponent.

We expect to continue to "evaluate," instead of ACTING ON A HUNCH.

I didn't think Gary Kubiak's era as Texans HC was going to end up being one big coach-speak session after another. Heck, Gary, just get a cardboard cutout and tape a recorded message to play during the pressers.

"The field was good."

"We battled hard."

"Of course we're disappointed about the loss."

"We just got to keep evaluating..."

What do you want him to say?

Something about crowning their backsides and throwing the game away?

Bull Pen 1
09-22-2008, 11:55 PM

I expect him to say I'm going to start Sage this week.

I'm sick of it all I'm selling my tickets for the Colts game and as long as Matt is our starting qb or he becomes a NFL qb. I was going to put them up for sale yesterday, but I decided to wait the 24 hours to cool off. No changes by the team and no changes on selling my tickets.

Shaft75
09-23-2008, 12:02 AM

GP just wants to see a little conviction mixed in with optimism.

Not "I think we can..."

But "We damn sure will."

Kaiser Toro
09-23-2008, 12:47 AM
I watched the Broncos play yesterday and wished that we had that FO and staff. The results may not be there for us just yet, but the execution does not look/feel remotely close to Shanahan. We got the Benny Hill Show on offense and Cheez Wiz on defense.

Sometimes a quick break is the best thing for a player. We do it for other positions, and we have one of the best back up QBs in the game. If Schaub gets rattled early take him out and get him settled down, give him new perspective, keep your back up fresh, have a conversation about tactics rather than why did you do that or what happened, blah blah blah.

Mario dropping back into coverage is only a good thing for the opponent. I just remember thinking that our staff is reaching right now by trying to be cute on both sides of the ball. This is the NFL and anything can happen, but I would not be surprised if the locker room is close to being lost if changes are not made.

Texans_Chick
09-23-2008, 01:01 AM
This is from the team quotes, not on the website (don't have a link):

Owen Daniels: (on about the fans maybe talking about a quarterback controversy) “Yeah. I think everyone who I have spoken to, I guess, media-wise has mentioned it. I guess that’s expected in, I guess, the situation where (QB) Matt (Schaub) hasn’t played up to his ability. I think he’d be the first one to tell you that. That’s our guy. That’s all we really have to say about it. He’s going to play a lot better. We’re going to protect better for him and we’ve got to get him to get a win this week.”

Chester Pitts: (on what is happening along the offensive line that is making QB Matt Schaub hurry) “Bad technique. Honestly, that’s the easy way to sum it up. It’s definitely not want to or definitely not fight. It’s just finishing a little bit longer, being in better position; working together better as a unit.”

(on if the situation is better than it looks) “You know, I wouldn’t say it’s better than it looks. Well, I guess you could say it’s better than it looks to the layperson, yes. But for us, we knew, I mean in the middle of a play I know if I take a bad step, I know the moment I did it, ‘dang I wish I could pull that back.’ I just feel like it’s one of those things its just such small little details that if it goes this way, that way, it won’t be a problem. But it just hasn’t teetered our way.”

(on if they are braced for a clamoring for a QB change) “Not really. The people that are doing all the clamoring tend to not know football as well as the people that are making those decision. I don’t want to be rude or anything but the guys at home watching TV. need to stay at home watching TV and let the guys who know what they are doing do their jobs.”

(on if things like that come with the territory) “Absolutely. When anything goes wrong; if a running back fumbles twice, ‘oh, we need to get a new running back.’ If a linemen misses two blocks in a game, it’s ‘oh, we need to get his butt out of here and get someone better.’ But if you score two touchdowns, ‘oh, he’s great,’ but he could have missed three pass blocks in the game. What is it? Perception versus reality. There is no controversy and (QB) Matt’s (Schaub) going to be fine. The biggest thing I do is look at the mirror at myself and see what I can do to help Matt.”

I wonder what Pitts would say if he intended to be rude.

hookinreds
09-23-2008, 01:16 AM

They are who they thought they were!:laughjump:

GP
09-23-2008, 01:19 AM
I wouldn't beg for a RB to get fired or benched for a few fumbles.

I wouldn't beg for an OL to get fired or benched for a few missed blocks.

Pitts is off the mark with those comments, IMO. I think the OL has played well enough to afford a QB some time to throw the ball, and it started back in 2007. I understand he's trying to run interference for Matt Schaub, and that's nice and all, but I am not buying it. Not even for $1.

But I WILL beg for a QB change, even for a game, just to see if the change makes the team play better.

Why is this so damn hard to understand? I mean, it's like the mere thought of telling a grown man (Schaub) that he needs a breather is soooo out of line. People need to swallow some freaking pride for the POSSIBLE betterment of the t-e-a-m.

This shows how truly screwed up this team has become over the years.

Simply and utterly amazing.

LOL. Gee whiz... :heart:

GP
09-23-2008, 01:22 AM
GP just wants to see a little conviction mixed in with optimism.

Not "I think we can..."

But "We damn sure will."

Exactly what I am trying to say. Thank you for summing it up.

Capers had the word "execute," and Kubiak's is "evaluate."

So much evaluation, so little REAL progress from it. :thinking:

Malloy
09-23-2008, 04:48 AM
I like what Pitts said. I also believe its the truth, but I'm sure alot of people around here will take offense because of his comment on TV-guys. For one I appreciate Pitts comments much more than Kubiaks, from Kubiak (all HCs in general) I expect alot of blah blah execute-talk, but usually the players talk about the stuff they themselves see. For me that brings a more nuanced picture of what is going on.

Pitts is right, its all about perception. If you expect Kubiak to be vague and non-concrete, well then chances are that thats exactly what you'll pick up :)

But hey, thats just me, a #69 fan :)

Blake
09-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Pitts: When anything goes wrong; if a running back fumbles twice, ‘oh, we need to get a new running back.’ If a linemen misses two blocks in a game, it’s ‘oh, we need to get his butt out of here and get someone better.’ But if you score two touchdowns, ‘oh, he’s great,’ but he could have missed three pass blocks in the game.

This is funny. The team has been brainwashed, or they all just have each others back when it comes to stuff like this.

Matt Schaub through 2 games is 42/70 for 390 yards, 1TD, 5 INTS, 8 sacks, 3 fumbles and 1 rushing TD.

So what Pitts meant to say is that if a running back fumbles twice, or a QB throws 5 interceptions, fumbles 3 times and is sacked 8 times the fans need to shut up and let football people make football decisions.

Thanks Chester.

Bottom line is yes, we have played 2 tough defenses, but that doesn't mean our team should look incompetent. Ineffective. I assume that the Texans are going to stick with Schaub to see what he can do against the Jags. And if he falters, then what? "Well we went against 3 top defenses"

You cant keep making excuses for players. We are an NFL football team too. Why cant we be hearing from our opponents how their team did so bad, and "well, the Texans are a top offense, or top defense." It always seems to be the other way arround.

HJam72
09-23-2008, 10:30 AM
I expect him to say, "Well, first off, Richard Smith sux. Then, there's the non-audible into a run play up the middle right into a 9 man front. Sometimes, I have to play Faggins, and we all know that ain't gonna work. Slaton is our only RB, like you didn't know that. Weaver is a stand up and stay put machine. Greenwood does make a lot of tackles on those 12 yard runs against us, though. I like to go for it on 4th and too freaking long....A LOT. That kind of makes me look stupid, but whatever. Anyway, then there's the biggest problem right now, which is that we have at least one inside linemen on both sides of the ball who is playing at a position they are too small for, or at least too weak. But, hey, at least our QB isn't pouting on the sidelines....well, not yet anyway. Thank you for your support."

GP
09-23-2008, 10:44 AM
I expect him to say, "Well, first off, Richard Smith sux. Then, there's the non-audible into a run play up the middle right into a 9 man front. Sometimes, I have to play Faggins, and we all know that ain't gonna work. Slaton is our only RB, like you didn't know that. Weaver is a stand up and stay put machine. Greenwood does make a lot of tackles on those 12 yard runs against us, though. I like to go for it on 4th and too freaking long....A LOT. That kind of makes me look stupid, but whatever. Anyway, then there's the biggest problem right now, which is that we have at least one inside linemen on both sides of the ball who is playing at a position they are too small for, or at least too weak. But, hey, at least our QB isn't pouting on the sidelines....well, not yet anyway. Thank you for your support."

Actually, the honeymoon is definitely over between Kubiak and Schaub. Did you see the shot of them jawing at each other?

I remember the Carolina game, when Schaub threw to AJ in the end zone an he was triple covered...Schaub ran to the sideline and told Kubiak "I won't do that again..." I laughed because it's like, 'What? Yes you will. You're acting like you can just say 'I won't do it again' and it'll just come true."

The San Diego game, for me, was the sign that Matt Schaub is not going to make it as a starter in this league. He had two back-to-back possessions of throwin ginto questionable coverage, with the same result. And then he got creamed from the blinside on the second interception because he forgot that he's not jsut watching the game like the fans are in the stands...he's a live body, and the defender nailed him for not paying attention.

Kubiak is losing it. But at least he seems to have MAYBE found a decent RB, for a change. That's a positive for him right now.

EDIT: Kubiak is losing it, IF he thinks we buy his pressers and his coach-speak. This isn't Pop Warner anymore, the parents don't care about "trying hard" or "evaluating to see what we can do better" etc.

Brando
09-23-2008, 11:23 AM
I think we need to at least have a home game under our belt and to have a normal week of practice before calling for Kubiak to be fired or a QB change. The start of the schedule was tough to begin with and our first home game was pushed back because of Hurricane Ike. We should have played our first game at home already and sometimes that helps you get jump started when you get some good ol' home cooking. We were dealt a bad hand so Kubiak and Co. are trying not to fold only 2 games into the season.

Porky
09-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Let's read between the lines.

A couple that was interesting, you can check out all of them at ht.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4658)

(on if he has decided to stick with QB Matt Schaub as the starter)

Sure, I'm married to the guy. I mean I gave up what 2 high picks for this loser. You think I am going to dump him now and make me look like a fool? I mean I couldn't be tighter with the guy if I were wearing his used jock. Oh what's that, you don't see a panty line?

on if they have the technology to rewind and watch replays before challenging a play)

Technology shemcology. I was channeling my inner Dom Capers on that play. Didn't you see my clueless Capers look as the Titans ran down the field looking like the invasion of Normandy. I mean, I much prefer to challenge plays that don't have a snowballs chance in hell of being overturned.

(on how tough it is to trust a player when they say to challenge a play)

I mean I know Demps is one of the smartest vets we have around here, but hey when I am channeling Capers I prefer to get into my inner zen and I block out all of those lousy distractions like vets screaming at me to throw the flag. The good news is I am now one with myself.

(on why you drop DE Mario Williams into coverage)

Because all teams take their best defensive player and best pass rusher and have him running around chasing WR's and TE's in coverage. Duh.

(on the red zone problems)

Red zone? I love that drink. You got any?

(on what he’s not happy about with the red zone offense after looking at film)

Film? It was a great film. I loved the part where they went into the wookie bar. That cracked me up. And chewbacca. What a riot!

(on what he can tell fans who are down about the losses)

It's only been 7 years. For goodness sakes, Rome wasn't built in a day. I am preaching patience. I'm sure by the year 2525, we'll give a winner to this city. Patience people!

Discuss.....

Yankee_In_TX
09-23-2008, 11:38 AM
1. Don't be friggin' "disappointed" like Ohio State lately. Be pissed. Be angry. Be fired up! Kubes and Jim Tressel both are "players coaches," recruit guys who "do the right thing," etc. Down side? After so long, the players seem to absorb the coaches attitude. Someone step up and get angry and a little dirty.

2. If the Texans didn't have replay access in TN then something is really wrong with the NFL rules or in TN and I would be making a huge stink.

HoustonFrog
09-23-2008, 11:38 AM
So GP, when Sage throws a few interceptions and they lose are you then going to say, "well it is the same as Schaub." Your obsession has been going a long time now. I'm not happy with Schaub at this time. But I'm also not happy with 99% of the other guys who aren't doing their job. I give him another start and see if the team and he as a whole improve. I'd throw out stats from last year but you ignored them then too.

I'm just over the same stuff and the same play and the same reactions.

BigWig
09-23-2008, 11:49 AM
1. Don't be friggin' "disappointed" like Ohio State lately. Be pissed. Be angry. Be fired up! Kubes and Jim Tressel both are "players coaches," recruit guys who "do the right thing," etc. Down side? After so long, the players seem to absorb the coaches attitude. Someone step up and get angry and a little dirty.

2. If the Texans didn't have replay access in TN then something is really wrong with the NFL rules or in TN and I would be making a huge stink.

Kinda like
Kubiak= Pardee ( nice guys)- sometimes winners
Parcells= Cowher (tough guys)- always winners

Maddict5
09-23-2008, 01:35 PM
+ rep to pitts for saying that.. its so true and he worded it very well

as for the team, we gave as good as we got for much of the game against a very good team on the road. we'll be alright when its all said and done. 'growing pains' are so much easier to go through on paper, eh?

anyway sorry for interrupting gp's and porky childish rants.. continue on

CloakNNNdagger
09-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Chester Pitts:

(on if they are braced for a clamoring for a QB change) “Not really. The people that are doing all the clamoring tend to not know football as well as the people that are making those decision. I don’t want to be rude or anything but the guys at home watching TV. need to stay at home watching TV and let the guys who know what they are doing do their jobs.”

Isn't this what we've been doing for how many years??................and the results?? Seems like some of the players and coaches would more appropriately stay at home watching TV and let the guys that know what they are doing do their jobs.:shades:

Vinny
09-23-2008, 05:09 PM
“Well, anytime you have a zone dog package, or you have a package for players, you can’t be 100 percent consistent just doing it one way. You have to show sometimes that you’ll be able to things more than one way. If he was always a rusher and Anthony (Weaver) was always your dropper or something, you get very predictable as a defense. So I think it actually helped us in the second half, as we went through the second half, to be more unpredictable.”this quote is mindboggling. Weaver can't get a sack in a grocery store but Williams will drop into coverage with Weaver leading the edge rush because of our desire to be tricky and unpredictable? We drop our only viable pass rusher into coverage? Good grief

Double Barrel
09-23-2008, 05:40 PM
What team is scared of Mario Williams in coverage?! Seriously?!?! Is it me, is it the hippie lettuce, am I looney-tunes here?!? No offensive coordinator is sitting back in meetings saying "I sure hope they don't drop Mario into coverage, because we have absolutely nothing to counter that play".

Oh wait, I forgot, Chester reminded me to "let the guys who know what they are doing do their jobs", like dropping a premier PASS RUSHER into covering WRs. Oh silly me, how dumb am I?

"What is it? Perception versus reality" says Chester.

I see, our perception is that it's the same old crap year after year. But that's not the reality! The reality is that we are a GREAT team that just happens to be playing lousy football and losing games. Dang, if only I could...change...that...dern...perception. Maybe I need rabbit ears. My perception has snow on the screen.

[/sarcasm]

Honestly, Richard Smith's defensive mind is garbage, IMHO. But, then again, he's one of the "guys who know what they are doing", and I'm just a dumb ol' one of the "guys at home watching TV".

But Chester did remind me "to stay at home watching TV". For home games, too, Mr. Pitts?

[/more sarcasm]

Honestly, TC, I'm in need of a good old coaching meltdown worthy of a Bud Lite commercial. I want to see Kubiak angry that so much of his hard work and dedication to this team is being pissed down the drain. I want to see him so beyond himself that his head looks like it's going to explode into a mushroom cloud of brain matter onto the waiting press.

Obviously, it's not his style. So I don't expect it to ever happen.

But emotion is my point. They are acting way to business-like about losing. Pitts basically telling the fanbase to STFU, Kubiak doing his coachspeak thing. The team circling the wagons like water twirling down a drain. I just want to see someone, anyone, with this team just get up and scream at being a team that just can't get it together.

But that wouldn't be the niiiiice thing to do. Hey marshmallows! Let's sing kum-by-yah now. Ahh, that blanket is sooooo soft. Warm and fuzzies.

I'm just venting. Don't pay me any attention. No need to flame me, folks. I'm with this team until the End of Days. My passion is not always a positive thing in the face of insanity.

Porky
09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
this quote is mindboggling. Weaver can't get a sack in a grocery store but Williams will drop into coverage with Weaver leading the edge rush because of our desire to be tricky and unpredictable? We drop our only viable pass rusher into coverage? Good grief

Unpredictable? you want unpredictable? Wait till you see the new zone caveman package next week. You bring the Geico caveman to the line, have him grunt a few times to scare the line, then (and here is the unpredicatble part) you ease him back in coverage, and when the receiver catches the ball, he clubs him, puts him on the spit and grills him for BBQ. Problem solved. :pirate:

CloakNNNdagger
09-23-2008, 06:54 PM
What team is scared of Mario Williams in coverage?! Seriously?!?! Is it me, is it the hippie lettuce, am I looney-tunes here?!? No offensive coordinator is sitting back in meetings saying "I sure hope they don't drop Mario into coverage, because we have absolutely nothing to counter that play".

Oh wait, I forgot, Chester reminded me to "let the guys who know what they are doing do their jobs", like dropping a premier PASS RUSHER into covering WRs. Oh silly me, how dumb am I?

"What is it? Perception versus reality" says Chester.

I see, our perception is that it's the same old crap year after year. But that's not the reality! The reality is that we are a GREAT team that just happens to be playing lousy football and losing games. Dang, if only I could...change...that...dern...perception. Maybe I need rabbit ears. My perception has snow on the screen.

[/sarcasm]

Honestly, Richard Smith's defensive mind is garbage, IMHO. But, then again, he's one of the "guys who know what they are doing", and I'm just a dumb ol' one of the "guys at home watching TV".

But Chester did remind me "to stay at home watching TV". For home games, too, Mr. Pitts?

[/more sarcasm]

Honestly, TC, I'm in need of a good old coaching meltdown worthy of a Bud Lite commercial. I want to see Kubiak angry that so much of his hard work and dedication to this team is being pissed down the drain. I want to see him so beyond himself that his head looks like it's going to explode into a mushroom cloud of brain matter onto the waiting press.

Obviously, it's not his style. So I don't expect it to ever happen.

But emotion is my point. They are acting way to business-like about losing. Pitts basically telling the fanbase to STFU, Kubiak doing his coachspeak thing. The team circling the wagons like water twirling down a drain. I just want to see someone, anyone, with this team just get up and scream at being a team that just can't get it together.

But that wouldn't be the niiiiice thing to do. Hey marshmallows! Let's sing kum-by-yah now. Ahh, that blanket is sooooo soft. Warm and fuzzies.

I'm just venting. Don't pay me any attention. No need to flame me, folks. I'm with this team until the End of Days. My passion is not always a positive thing in the face of insanity.

LMAO, must spread the rep.......it seems that the emotion of anger will be generated only when seats are unfilled and revenues are affected. How many coaches have left the Texans to be successful elsewhere (on the field), except at a lower level of employment. Kubiak's et al. football reputation may be tainted for good.............that in itself should be reason to get angry.

Here was Kubiak at the beginning of our 1st season. The only fire I ever saw........and always directed to referees. The only other shots I've tended to see have been of Kubiak walking around nervous or seemingly on the verge of crying.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/REDSKINS_TEXANS_FOOTBALL_HTT119.JPG

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08nt6eAdyJ3eU/610x.jpg

brakos82
09-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Geez, haven't you ever heard of downsizing?

CloakNNNdagger
09-23-2008, 07:18 PM

Tried to ............ isn't working. But it let's you appreciate Kubiak's neck vein lots better.:thisbig:

MightyTExan
09-23-2008, 08:16 PM
This sounds familiar.......................
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/
Scheme, personnel and approach,” Marinelli said regarding areas in which changes could be made. “We have just a great opportunity for us [to] sit down and really do a nice job of looking at it.”

Marinelli said it’s not the low point of his coaching career, and that the goal is to stay the course. “What I’m about, I keep doing it,” Marinelli said. “Keep working at it and keep evaluating, keep working, coaching.”

We are so boned.

GP
09-23-2008, 09:01 PM
So GP, when Sage throws a few interceptions and they lose are you then going to say, "well it is the same as Schaub." Your obsession has been going a long time now. I'm not happy with Schaub at this time. But I'm also not happy with 99% of the other guys who aren't doing their job. I give him another start and see if the team and he as a whole improve. I'd throw out stats from last year but you ignored them then too.

I'm just over the same stuff and the same play and the same reactions.

You know what, I just deleted my original post (which was aimed squarely at you).

Because, honestly, it won't matter or make any difference.

So I'll respond to those who are wondering if this season is going to lead somewhere promising.

All I can say is this: The bloom is off the Kubiak rose. And the petal known as Schaub is just one part of the wilting process. I just want to see Kubiak make the decisions that give us the best chance to win, and Schaub isn't a part of those plans BUT he's right there front-and-center. Richard Smith isn't "it" at DC, there's another petal. The ZBS has undersized linemen who are getting obliterated off the snap, there's another petal. Kubiak's game management is another petal.

AJ is dogging it, not even giving a crap anymore. He knows a withering flower when he sees one.

So, I don't need to respond to you. People are beginning to figure out that this idea of "waiting" and "evaluating" and "looking at stats that show why Schaub is better than Sage" is a crock of dookie.

Speedy
09-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Honestly, TC, I'm in need of a good old coaching meltdown worthy of a Bud Lite commercial.

Hey coach, we tried out this boomerang and it didn't come back.

I wish I’d have thrown it because it definitely would have come back.

Hey coach, what do you tell people who aren't down with drinking Coors Light at the game?

Well, first off I’d tell them that we’re down, too.

GP
09-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey coach, we tried out this boomerang and it didn't come back.

Hey coach, what do you tell people who aren't down with drinking Coors Light at the game?

YOU ARE THE BOMB!

Best post in the past three days. Period.

Texecutioner
09-23-2008, 10:02 PM
YOU ARE THE BOMB!

Best post in the past three days. Period.

Yeah, I have to agree. Nice one.

HJam72
09-24-2008, 08:31 AM

LOL :thisbig:

Double Barrel
09-24-2008, 10:26 AM
“Our technology is whatever the visiting team gives us in the booths. So we’ve got TV up there. Sometimes we do get the replay; sometimes we don’t. So you have to make decisions. Unfortunately on the long pass, we did not see it until after they had went up and snapped the ball. That was a decision you just had to make off the cuff and I wish I’d a made it. I wish I’d have thrown it because it definitely would have come back.”

I was thinking about this point last night. Does the home team get extra electronics that are not available to the visiting team at some stadiums? Or, does the league enforce 'parity' in the coordinators' booths?

And, if there is a disparity to make it part of a "homefield advantage", what are the visiting team's booth at Reliant like? Knowing McNair, they are probably all decked out with HD monitors.

I know it is up to the home team to show replays and stuff. But I'm just curious about the accommodations given to our coaches.

infantrycak
09-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I was thinking about this point last night. Does the home team get extra electronics that are not available to the visiting team at some stadiums? Or, does the league enforce 'parity' in the coordinators' booths?

Don't know the answer to your question--I would have thought there were rules on minimum equipment packages.

What is amazing about that reception IMO though is that ref blew the call not once, but two times--blatant offensive interference and then blatant out of bounds. It didn't so obviously change a game as the Hochuli blown call, but it arguably was a worse job by a ref and there is no discussion about it. In fact, the play has made several highlight reels as a good play.

Double Barrel
09-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Don't know the answer to your question--I would have thought there were rules on minimum equipment packages.

What is amazing about that reception IMO though is that ref blew the call not once, but two times--blatant offensive interference and then blatant out of bounds. It didn't so obviously change a game as the Hochuli blown call, but it arguably was a worse job by a ref and there is no discussion about it. In fact, the play has made several highlight reels as a good play.

:thud:

I don't have power, so I have been out of the loop on NFL news and replays. Maybe that's a good thing after reading this...

Texans_Chick
09-24-2008, 10:42 AM
this quote is mindboggling. Weaver can't get a sack in a grocery store but Williams will drop into coverage with Weaver leading the edge rush because of our desire to be tricky and unpredictable? We drop our only viable pass rusher into coverage? Good grief

Yeah, I highlighted that quote in my Chron.com post about the defense (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2008/09/the_houston_texan_defense_did.html)and said this about it:

Hmmm. So you take your only real pass rusher, and you drop him back in coverage. Yeah, that's unpredictable.

It reminds me of this time I was playing pickup basketball with a bunch of guys. I rarely shoot because I am no good. But I thought the lane was open for a second, so I'm driving for a shot and see a 6'4" defender slip right in front of the basket. And realize I am in big need-a-bail-out trouble. At the last second, the tall guy decides to be gallant, and steps to the side with an elaborate bow and pantomimed hat tip.

It was so surprising and funny that I started laughing and totally whiffed the wide open layup.

You see, maybe that was Smith's strategy. To come up with such an absurd package that maybe Kerry Collins would goof up because he was laughing so hard.

Me personally, I could go the whole rest of my life without seeing Williams dropping into coverage.

I appreciate that they are trying something, I guess. The entire defense has been a 2+ year experiment of trying to find schemes that do anything other than leaving the Texans at the bottom of the league defensively.

What I do know is that if the Titans can hang 21 points and 225 yards in the first half on the Texans, then Houston is in trouble when they face a real offense.

Polo
09-24-2008, 10:44 AM
In the second half, the Texans hardly missed a tackle, holding the Titans to 88 yards of total offense and a field goal. Houston also got creative. Defensive coordinator Richard Smith lined up defensive end Mario Williams next to DeMeco Ryans at linebacker. Williams was able to harass Collins in the second half and drop into pass protection to keep Tennessee's offense honest.

“I thought our spinner package in the second half caused them some problems and made them get rid of the ball,” Kubiak said. “And, as always, just causing havoc and making the quarterback make a quick decision is as important as walking out of the game with sacks.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4660

I don't understand folks being upset with the defense trying to get creative...The complaint is that we're too bland and then when we do something different and the results are seemingly positive we gripe anyway...

Yeah Mario is our best pass rusher...He's also our best overall player over there...

I have no problem with them using him in a variation of ways as long as it's effective...

Double Barrel
09-24-2008, 10:48 AM
The entire defense has been a 2+ year experiment of trying to find schemes that do anything other than leaving the Texans at the bottom of the league defensively.

Word.

Get a real defensive coordinator already.

In the second half, the Texans hardly missed a tackle, holding the Titans to 88 yards of total offense and a field goal.

We can't take credit for Fisherball. Dude is notorious for getting a lead and sitting on it. It's whack to act like our defense was oh-so-great in the second half because the Titans went vanilla to kill some time.

HOU-TEX
09-24-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't understand folks being upset with the defense trying to get creative...The complaint is that we're too bland and then when we do something different and the results are seemingly positive we gripe anyway...

Yeah Mario is our best pass rusher...He's also our best overall player over there...

I have no problem with them using him in a variation of ways as long as it's effective...

I think that's the whole point. It wasn't effective. This "spinner package" looked ok when they were bouncing MW around the Dline as a pass rusher and he got close to the QB.

The first time he dropped into coverage in the first quarter he wasn't even close to the guy. They were in what appeared to be a zone coverage with MW short with Reeves about 10 yards behind. The WR zipped right between them and went for about 20 yards. MW dove, but was nowhere close to the ball or the player. I think this was the play.

I don't mind standing MW up and letting him "pick his *****", but pass coverage not so much

2-6-HOU 32 (8:26) 5-K.Collins pass short left to 17-Ch.Davis to HOU 11 for 21 yards (35-J.Reeves).

Polo
09-24-2008, 12:20 PM
One play of twenty yards hardly quantify's it as "not working" IMO.

I can point to many more plays where Mario has been a pash rusher and we've been gashed for much more. Guess Mario as a pass rusher is a bad idea too ?

I didn't say it worked everytime but it did produce positive results.

You guys wanted the Co-ordinator to be less predictable and more creative...I think he's trying to do that...

Polo
09-24-2008, 12:30 PM
We can't take credit for Fisherball. Dude is notorious for getting a lead and sitting on it. It's whack to act like our defense was oh-so-great in the second half because the Titans went vanilla to kill some time.

They tried to run it, we stopped the run.

They tried to pass, we stopped that too.

Dont know how you can argue with this:

3rd Quarter

15:00 4:43 TEN Punt
07:45 1:09 TEN Field Goal
05:12 2:01 TEN Punt
01:49 1:37 TEN Punt

4th Quarter
7:05 2:18 TEN Punt
04:20 1:50 TEN Punt

The one field goal they got was after the Texans failed 4th down try.

Titans have a good running attack and in the second half when they could have really put their foot down our defense didn't let that happen. Even when they did try to pass we disrupted the play.

infantrycak
09-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Titans have a good running attack and in the second half when they could ahve really put their foot down our defense didn't let that happen.

The Texans D did play better in the 2nd half. Interesting it took a player rather than the coach to inspire that performance change.

Double Barrel
09-24-2008, 12:40 PM

3rd Quarter

4th Quarter

Titans have a good running attack and in the second half when they could have really put their foot down our defense didn't let that happen. Even when they did try to pass we disrupted the play.

You have a point, but I'm just not sure how much I want to hang my hat on it.

The entire Titans team takes on the persona of Fisher. So they have historically played very conservative ball when they have a lead in the second half. There is a reason why Jeff Fisher has some ungodly win record when he goes into the second half and fourth quarter with a lead.

I bet a lot of defenses look good in the second half in Titans game for this very reason.

Why can't our D come out of the gate playing that way?

Texans_Chick
09-24-2008, 12:47 PM

3rd Quarter

4th Quarter

Yeah, but did you read my write up about this?

Yes, in some ways they played better. But they also had the benefit in a number of situations of the Titans being stuck near their own endzone due to Texans non-scores and punts, and wanting not to do stupid stuff.

They didn't even try to throw in the 4th quarter.

Really, the best things that happen for the defense is when the opposing offense does stupid stuff. Not because they are pressured into it but because the opposing offense fails to execute.

This defense is very up and down. One moment they might do something great, and then they follow it up with stuff of head scratching stupidity. That happens less when your best players are also not some of your youngest.

Polo
09-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Why can't our D come out of the gate playing that way?

They aren't that good.

Probably the same reason Matt comes out Shaky and then kinda gets it going.

I think our players/coaches gotta do a better job of being fired up out of the gates.

HOU-TEX
09-24-2008, 12:51 PM
One play of twenty yards hardly quantify's it as "not working" IMO.

I can point to many more plays where Mario has been a pash rusher and we've been gashed for much more. Guess Mario as a pass rusher is a bad idea too ?

I didn't say it worked everytime but it did produce positive results.

You guys wanted the Co-ordinator to be less predictable and more creative...I think he's trying to do that...

I'm not sure I understand your logic.

MW was drafted as DE that could rush the passer as well as the run. He has since proven he could do so.

There are many ways to switch things up along the Dline in order to be productive. Dropping MW, Weaver, Kalu and any other lineman into coverage is asinine IMO.

Look at the Ravens for example. There are times where they might have only one or two Dlinemen with their hand down while the rest are bouncing around like fleas along the line.

To each their own, I reckon. But IMHO, our defensive scheme sucks and it falls directly on the DC. Before long it'll fall in Kubiaks lap for staying with it/him.

:fans:

Polo
09-24-2008, 12:55 PM

Titans had two possesions...Both were three and out....Their net yards for both those drives was 7 yards....

And you're right...Their play-calling was conservative on one drive cuz it started from our 1 yard line...

I'm not saying our defense is good...I just think that they do deserve a little credit for stepping it up in the 2nd half...It wasn't all on the Titans conservative play-calling...In the third qtr they were still throwing it deep and running screens....

This is the same team that we almost had the historical comeback against...I seriously doubt that Fisher thought his 21-12 lead was safe heading into the second half...

badboy
09-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Word.

Get a real defensive coordinator already.

We can't take credit for Fisherball. Dude is notorious for getting a lead and sitting on it. It's whack to act like our defense was oh-so-great in the second half because the Titans went vanilla to kill some time.The other team does not really need much of an offense if we keep giving them the ball.

ChampionTexan
09-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Titans had two possesions...Both were three and out....Their net yards for both those drives was 7 yards....

And you're right...Their play-calling was conservative on one drive cuz it started from our 1 yard line...

I'm not saying our defense is good...I just think that they do deserve a little credit for stepping it up in the 2nd half...It wasn't all on the Titans conservative play-calling...In the third qtr they were still throwing it deep and running screens....

This is the same team that we almost had the historical comeback against...I seriously doubt that Fisher thought his 21-12 lead was safe heading into the second half...

I would add that as pathetically ugly as this game was from our standpoint, it was still win-able well into the 2nd half. Throw out the last second interception return, and it was a 12 point game. With several unsuccessful and/or out and out stupid 4th down attempts from deep inside Titans territory, you simply can't pin this on the D. Yeah, if we'd scored and Tennessee was starting drives outside their 10 yard line, that might have changed the offensive strategy that the Titans used, but so what. The reason we will never know what would have happened is because the offense and coaching decisions were just horrible at pivotal points in the game.

Double Barrel
09-24-2008, 01:24 PM
They aren't that good.

Probably the same reason Matt comes out Shaky and then kinda gets it going.

I think our players/coaches gotta do a better job of being fired up out of the gates.

Without a doubt, man.

Vinny
09-25-2008, 08:57 AM

That stat tells me everything....We always "improve" statistically when the other team is "putting us away"....its a shame that is all we have to hang out hat on. When Fisher was asked about not having any 4th quarter passes for two games in a row, he responded:

"It's not unusual. It's just the way we are. We're running the football and winning games".

gtexan02
09-25-2008, 09:14 AM
We did really well against the Steelers in the 4th quarter, when they brought in Mendenhall too