PDA

View Full Version : In The Trenches

eriadoc
09-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like we see the same results no matter what personnel we have on the lines? That stats change, but the results always seem to end up the same. We can send seven guys and never get close to the QB, while on offense, we can keep guys in to protect and yet the other team always seems to pressure, rattle, and hit our QB. I hate this.

Corrosion
09-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Offensively I think our biggest problem is the center position being dominated on a consistant basis.

Defensively .... I really think its a scheme issue , their pressure packages are not very well disguised thus easily picked up.

ATXtexanfan
09-21-2008, 03:17 PM
True true very true

CloakNNNdagger
09-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Offensively I think our biggest problem is the center position being dominated on a consistant basis.

Defensively .... I really think its a scheme issue , their pressure packages are not very well disguised thus easily picked up.

Western union could not do a better job of telegraphing.

hradhak
09-21-2008, 03:21 PM
I'd agree that the defense is a scheme issue. Also our blitzes never seem to work well. We try them once and then give up on them. As it stands MW is going to draw a double team for the rest of the year. Until we get something else going scheme wise, our rush is going to get stifled.

TheIronDuke
09-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes, every game the Texans o-line is constantly getting pushed back and we blitz and some receiver is wide open and is hit easily for a first down. Maybe another 7 years we'll actually look like a for real NFL football team. In the meantime at least I didn't think we were playoff contenders.

The Pencil Neck
09-21-2008, 03:38 PM
OK.

I just want to take a moment to vent about this.

On one of the passes in the first half, Mario ALMOST made a great job of tipping the ball away from the receiver. Almost, but not quite.

But what bothers me about that is that MARIO was dropped back into coverage.

Mario.

Coverage.

I dont EVER want to see Mario dropped back in coverage again.

Thank you.

HJam72
09-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Let's see:

Defensive schemes completely suck (check)
Offense not calling (the right) audibles
Only one strong side DT who is not too small, and he is a rookie.
Weak center
Probably weak RG
Slaton is gutsy, but not ideal for the red zone.
Schaub cannot "make" plays.
AJ is dropping the ball again. Nice time for that crap too.

The good news is that we just played 2 2008 play-off teams (just wait) on the road. 2 biggest problems are weak inside core on both sides and DC that could learn something from Jr. High coaches.

PS-Gee, don't our 2 biggest problems sound like the same ones we've had for about 6 years now (other than LT)? Kinda frustratin' ain't it?

Texans_Chick
09-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Yes, every game the Texans o-line is constantly getting pushed back and we blitz and some receiver is wide open and is hit easily for a first down. Maybe another 7 years we'll actually look like a for real NFL football team. In the meantime at least I didn't think we were playoff contenders.

The Titans D was so fast off the line. Almost like they know the count better than our players.

Sometimes they were so quick they looked offsides.

TexansLucky13
09-21-2008, 03:47 PM
The Titans D was so fast off the line. Almost like they know the count better than our players.

At least twice they WERE offsides and there was no call.

Texans_Chick
09-21-2008, 03:49 PM
At least twice they WERE offsides and there was no call.

My eye seemed to think so.

The Pencil Neck
09-21-2008, 03:50 PM

I am POSITIVE they were offsides at least two times that were not called.

There were plays when both Brown and Winston got punked by the KVB and Kearse. And there were a couple of plays when both Myers and Pitts got totally punked by Haynesworth. Brisiel had some issues, too. BUT... overall... the line didn't play too bad considering what they were going up against.

I think when the line gels a little more and when Brown gets a bit more experience, the line is going to be fine.

This was one of the toughest lines we're going to face all year and we played better than we did against the Steelers.

Honoring Earl 34
09-21-2008, 03:50 PM

I noticed that also . The Titans DL looks like it's shot out of a cannon sometimes .

Reggie Bush just fumbled and Denver scored .

Runner
09-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I think when the line gels a little more and when Brown gets a bit more experience, the line is going to be fine.

What makes you think the line won't be changed up again next year so they'll have to have time to gel again? The Texans organization has never let the o-line grow together. They used it for scapegoats the first few years and it is still under-talented in a couple of areas now.

There will be more changes and more calls for patience.

The Pencil Neck
09-21-2008, 03:54 PM
What makes you think the line won't be changed up again next year so they'll have to have time to gel again? The Texans organization has never let the o-line grow together. They used it for scapegoats the first few years and it is still under-talented in a couple of areas now.

The line is going to be fine THIS year.

Honoring Earl 34
09-21-2008, 03:56 PM

It's an attitude thing to me because except for Fat Albert ... the Titans are'nt that big yet we get shoved back . I guess this is why they look pretty equal during TC .

Runner
09-21-2008, 03:59 PM
The line is going to be fine THIS year.

It is just as likely there will be changes this year. The interior of the line goes backward too much.

alphajoker
09-21-2008, 03:59 PM
OK.

I just want to take a moment to vent about this.

On one of the passes in the first half, Mario ALMOST made a great job of tipping the ball away from the receiver. Almost, but not quite.

But what bothers me about that is that MARIO was dropped back into coverage.

Mario.

Coverage.

I dont EVER want to see Mario dropped back in coverage again.

Thank you.

Yeah, I saw that, too. I'm really certain now that our DC has no idea of what he's doing.

The Pencil Neck
09-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Also, did anyone else see the play where Slaton picked up a D-Lineman (I think it was Haynesworth). I was really impressed by his blocking today.

TheIronDuke
09-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Mario in coverage is laughable. Just because the opponent's not expecting it doesn't mean it's not a retarded idea.

Runner
09-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I saw that, too. I'm really certain now that our DC has no idea of what he's doing.

Everyone wants to see the defense do something exotic - what is more exotic than the reverse blitz? Take the team's best (only) pass rusher and drop him into coverage. It is a very rare play - enjoy it when you have the opportunity to see it. :rolleyes:

b0ng
09-21-2008, 04:07 PM

Casey Hampton and Albert Haynesworth with John Henderson coming up.

Why look at that 3 All-pro caliber DT's and our Center looks like he can't handle himself and we all wonder why.

Runner
09-21-2008, 04:15 PM

Why look at that 3 All-pro caliber DT's and our Center looks like he can't handle himself and we all wonder why.

If this is an "on the brink of the play-offs" team* as many fans claim, the players and the team as a whole should be able to compete with anyone. Just because they aren't the best player/team on the field doesn't mean they should be dominated so much of the time.

* I didn't think they were. Too many of the same holes as always with no real improvement.

Norg
09-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Are D line is good at best and was putting pressure IMO

its just are seconday is horrid ....

but are Dline is muccchhhh muchhhh better then are O LINE

Corrosion
09-21-2008, 04:33 PM

Yep , they came up against top flight competition .... and in the AFC South they are gonna see Fat Albert and Henderson twice a year .... Those guy's are expected to make plays ..... They just seem to make an awful lot of plays against the Texans.

Looking at the types of defenses the Texans will face at least 25% of the season and in 50% of their divisional games they would be better suited with a ....dare I say .... Cowbow's type O-line and scheme .... Road grader type guy's rather than the ZBS and smaller more agile linemen.

Honoring Earl 34
09-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Looking at the types of defenses the Texans will face at least 25% of the season and in 50% of their divisional games they would be better suited with a ....dare I say .... Cowbow's type O-line and scheme .... Road grader type guy's rather than the ZBS and smaller more agile linemen.

The Cowboys that Jimmy Johnson built was I get 4-5 yards a pop and there's nothing you can do about it . The only thing that stopped them was Jerrah ,

HJam72
09-22-2008, 07:41 AM
I noticed that also . The Titans DL looks like it's shot out of a cannon sometimes .

Some of that (I think) is the DEs moving sideways out away from the OTs right before the ball is snapped and then rushing in when it is snapped. Our OTs did not handle that tactic well at all. I'm not sure I agree that that tactic should be allowed when the OTs can't move at all until the ball is snapped, but whatever. As long as they can do it, we need our OTs to learn to handle it.

My point is they were moving before the ball was snapped, but not across the line. It made it look like they were super quick off the ball. Regardless, it worked way too well for them.