PDA

View Full Version : Slaton Appreciation Thread

TexansLucky13
09-21-2008, 01:34 PM
104 yards and a touchdown in one half of play. The guy looks great.

Corrosion
09-21-2008, 01:42 PM
He's looked great against a very good defense .... Much better between the tackles than I expected on draft day and his blitz pick ups are getting better.

C.Brown hasnt looked bad either.

If Green gets another carry this season , it better be because of an injury .... :voodoo:

RipTraxx
09-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Ahman is done.

You go with the guy thats hot.

Slaton knows what he's doing. When he lowered the shoulder on Griffin on the goalline......priceless!

Corrosion
09-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Ahman is done.

Slaton knows what he's doing. When he lowered the shoulder on Griffin on the goalline......priceless!

Griffin is solid against the run .... that was impressive. :texflag:

RipTraxx
09-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Griffin is solid against the run .... that was impressive. :texflag:

I felt he should've been slated as the starter the day we drafted him. Kinda like Walker too. Dont know why Kubes doesnt.

imatexan
09-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Appreciation due, now lets get the w!

Ryan
09-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Too bad Kubiak is not smart enough to give it to him on the 1 *^*%$ yard line.:brickwall:

TexansLucky13
09-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Too bad Kubiak is not smart enough to give it to him on the 1 *^*%$ yard line.:brickwall:

I'm pretty sure they did...

Ryan
09-21-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure they did...

no it was 2nd and goal at the 1 and they passed twice. And then they have it to him at the 2 yard line and 4th and goal.

TexansLucky13
09-21-2008, 02:54 PM
no it was 2nd and goal at the 1 and they passed twice. And then they have it to him at the 2 yard line and 4th and goal.

Trust me, I wanted them to run it too. I'm just saying... they did run it twice on those 4 plays.

hradhak
09-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Slaton played really well today. I think he made a lot of plays happen that would otherwise never have materialized. With that said, he's gotta be utilized better. 2nd and goal on the 1 and you throw two passes? Punch it in with the rookie.

I think this game shoulda been a lot closer. You have a good kicker in Brown who'll get you points on the board. We coulda been one score down for the last drives if we kicked field goals.

valleytexfan
09-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Thank you, Slaton. You are on your way, buddy. talent just needs to get better around you. You'll see. Thankful you're here.:texflag:

J-Russ
09-21-2008, 05:02 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80afad40

One of the few bright spots on this team.

And for anyone that said Slaton is too small, watch him throw down Chris Hope and truck Michael Griffin.

Slaton is Beastmode.

OzzO
09-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Lovin' Slaton... just PLEASE let's not run him into the ground cause he's our one (current)positive spot.

Corrosion
09-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Lovin' Slaton... just PLEASE let's not run him into the ground cause he's our one (current)positive spot.

Maybe we have a use for Green after all. :jogger:

OzzO
09-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Yep - he can donate to Slaton his time in the tub.

nunusguy
09-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Slaton was very impressive today. And how about that play where he took it
up the middle for the TD and literally ran over the Titan defender. He seems to be a pretty dank hard-nosed little runner for a back I though was supposed to have durability issues.

TheIronDuke
09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Slaton was awesome. I love how he kept those feet churning. That's what I used to love about Domanick Davis, he was great at keeping those feet going and picking up the extra yard or so.

texanfreak
09-21-2008, 05:28 PM
yeah, slaton laid griffin out on the goalline. but I loved the stiff arm on the end of the 51 yard scamper.

texanfreak
09-21-2008, 05:29 PM
yeah, slaton laid griffin out on the goalline. but I loved the stiff arm on the end of the 51 yard scamper.:doot:

Koolaid Time
09-21-2008, 06:04 PM
He's looked great against a very good defense .... Much better between the tackles than I expected on draft day and his blitz pick ups are getting better.

C.Brown hasnt looked bad either.

If Green gets another carry this season , it better be because of an injury .... :voodoo:

Its obvious that Green is here just to pick up a check. He is another "Mike Hampton" that will be continiously injured.

Why was he even on the opening day team roster?

Corrosion
09-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Its obvious that Green is here just to pick up a check. He is another "Mike Hampton" that will be continiously injured.

I agree completely about Green ...

Thats easy to answer .... Slaton and Brown are unproven , hard to go into a season with a guy with zero NFL carries and a guy coming off of a major injury with 28 total NFL carries.

TEXANRED
09-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Slaton was awesome. I love how he kept those feet churning. That's what I used to love about Domanick Davis, he was great at keeping those feet going and picking up the extra yard or so.

Exactly. The only difference between DD and Slaton is Slaton is much much faster. If Slaton doesn't get horse collared on his 51 run he scores.

I would like to see a one two punch of Slaton/Walker. Thats a lot of speed in the back field.

Corrosion
09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Exactly. The only difference between DD and Slaton is Slaton is much much faster. If Slaton doesn't get horse collared on his 51 run he scores.

I would like to see a one two punch of Slaton/Walker. Thats a lot of speed in the back field.

I'm happy with Taylor and Slaton . If they are to add another back , I'd like to see a short yardage type guy who can just move a pile.

Texan Asylum
09-21-2008, 06:30 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80afad40

One of the few bright spots on this team.

And for anyone that said Slaton is too small, watch him throw down Chris Hope and truck Michael Griffin.

Slaton is Beastmode.

Thanks J-R for the video...rep your way!

And thank you Steve for being one of the bright spots that you represent on the team! :cool:

Keep it going! :jogger:

ATXtexanfan
09-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Slaton has already overachieved in my book, to bad his teammates aren't bringing it as well

kcdoubleeagle
09-21-2008, 07:06 PM
I just hope that this stops the whining about drafting a RB in the first round.....good god we need some linemen.

GuerillaBlack
09-21-2008, 07:38 PM
I just hope that this stops the whining about drafting a RB in the first round.....good god we need some linemen.

DLineman right? Our OLine isn't that bad at all.

Corrosion
09-21-2008, 07:49 PM

After watching the first two games ....

I'll take a DE , OLB and C with the top three picks .... in no specific order.

GuerillaBlack
09-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Yeah, we need a stud DE opposite Mario.

TEXANRED
09-21-2008, 08:04 PM

We need a RG, a Center, a NT, and a DE. Both lines still need help.

TEXANRED
09-21-2008, 08:07 PM

Just b/c Slaton is doing good doesn't mean you still don't draft a running back you feel can help you. Just look at Minn, Dallas, and Pitt.

TheIronDuke
09-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Don't forget we need safeties, long snapper, and water boy.

TexansLucky13
09-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Just b/c Slaton is doing good doesn't mean you still don't draft a running back you feel can help you. Just look at Minn, Dallas, and Pitt.

Yea... that Felix Jones pickup is looking like pure genius. That guy has some serious moves.

I would like to see them go for a power back so that we can have something like JAX has in MJD and Taylor. I don't want them to draft RB in the 1st round (we need either a DE or FS with that pick), but beyond that it's fine with me.

will742
09-21-2008, 08:30 PM
I've been a long time lurker and don't really ever post but I have to come out of my slumber to show my appreciation for this man, nay -- Beast.

Slaton has done nothing but work his butt off during training camp and practice to earn the position in which he is in right now. 3rd down back my a** we've get ourselves a feature back in this one, I feel it! :doot:

Corrosion
09-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Yea... that Felix Jones pickup is looking like pure genius. That guy has some serious moves.

I would like to see them go for a power back so that we can have something like JAX has in MJD and Taylor. I don't want them to draft RB in the 1st round (we need either a DE or FS with that pick), but beyond that it's fine with me.

Did I write that post ?! :spit:

You nailed it , I'd like to see more of a power back to compliment Slaton , But I dont think we've seen the best of C.Taylor yet. At this point in the season I'd like to see what if anything Taylor can offer before looking to spend draft picks on a RB when we have multiple other holes to fill. The list for me begins with DE , OLB , C and FS .

Insideop
09-21-2008, 09:33 PM
OK, I admit it, I didn't like the Slaton pick in the Draft. I thought he was too small (light) at 195 lbs to be a feature back. He sure looks like a great pick now and I'm happy we got him. I hope he keeps it up throughout the season. Go Steve! :jogger: Keep up the good work!

HoustonFrog
09-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Ran hard. Ran over guys and ran to catch a guy who intercepted a pass when others just quit.

HJam72
09-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Ran hard. Ran over guys and ran to catch a guy who intercepted a pass when others just quit.

He actually did put a wallop on one of the safeties. I was really proud of that, and the spin moves--God, have we needed a RB to do those.

I don't like him getting the handoffs right at the goal-line, though. He might be our best choice even for that right now, but it's not ideal.

Texans_Chick
09-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Slaton is the most encouraging thing we've seen in the running game in years.

That being said, they need to block better for him. Hopefully, not all defenses will be like the Titans but this offense can't afford the run stuffs and negative yardage.

The running game in the Kubiak system has three main functions:

1. Keep the defense honest. Make sure the QB doesn't get killed on bootlegs. Wear defenses down. Keep your defense off the field.

2. Always get positive yardage, even if it is a few yards. Long yardage situations are non-good for any team, but are especially bad when you have a lightish line.

3. Home run threat.

Even under Dayne, the Texans have been among the lowest in the league in run stuffs and negative yard running plays.

The best news about Slaton is that his teammates think great things about him. The number one thing you hear about Slaton is how tough he is. He's going to have to be tough if he is running like that and making stuff out of nothing.

HoustonFrog
09-22-2008, 09:23 AM
He actually did put a wallop on one of the safeties. I was really proud of that, and the spin moves--God, have we needed a RB to do those.

I don't like him getting the handoffs right at the goal-line, though. He might be our best choice even for that right now, but it's not ideal.

He laid the wood to that guy. Just knocked him into the endzone. He has got "pop" when he runs. I like it.

2BCF
09-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Slaton looks like a smaller version of Reggie Bush, the famous USC Heisman winner....not that guy who collects a check from the Saints.

HOU-TEX
09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah, Slaton was the reason I kept watching the game.

-Poor coaching on both sides of the ball (who the **** has Mario in coverage on a 3rd down???)

-Horrible play at QB

-Horrible play at WR (AJ should be ashamed)

-Once again Greenwood was invisible other than 1 tackle(I think)

-If Diles were any slower he'd be moving backwards. And for God sakes man, wrap up or something

-Zgoninia sucks, keep Okam in and let him learn

-Okoye didn't do much again

-Did we have another DE playing oposite MW? Oh yeah, I remember Weaver getting all fired up over his 1 tackle.

-I should've spent those extra 3 hrs visiting with my daughter who was home from College for the weekend.

beerlover
09-22-2008, 09:41 AM
OK, I admit it, I didn't like the Slaton pick in the Draft. I thought he was too small (light) at 195 lbs to be a feature back. He sure looks like a great pick now and I'm happy we got him. I hope he keeps it up throughout the season. Go Steve! :jogger: Keep up the good work!

@ one time Slayton was considered a 1st rd. talent when he came out. I liked the fact he got bigger & added some weight to erase doubts about his size going into the NFL but he lost some speed & cut-back ability which dropped his numbers moving over for Freshman phenomenon Noel Divine smallish, more elusive & slippery. if anyone paid attention, Steve Slayton essentially became the power back option with West Virginia & at the same time developed the size/power to be the NFL feature back he is looking like.

mootini
09-22-2008, 10:59 AM
I think you guys picked a great RB...Slayton is the real deal. As a Jag fan, I think he will run well on the outside vs. Jags. The Jags run defense is weak going side to side this year/so far. This week is going to be a big game for both teams. BEEF Week!!!

Mr teX
09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I think you guys picked a great RB...Slayton is the real deal. As a Jag fan, I think he will run well on the outside vs. Jags. The Jags run defense is weak going side to side this year/so far. This week is going to be a big game for both teams. BEEF Week!!!

tell MJD i appreciate the gutsy effort this week, he kept getting up slower & slower as the game wore on nevertheless, he pretty much got my fantasy squad over the hump this week with his performance.

mootini
09-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I was concerned why Drew was not in there on the last drive?

Mr teX
09-22-2008, 11:17 AM
I was concerned why Drew was not in there on the last drive?

looked like he tweaked something on 1 of his last runs, he was flipped in an awkward position...plus he was tired.

Spled
09-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I like the way he breaks from the first tackler so often.

Polo
09-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Hopefully they up his rating the next Madden update.

Vinny
09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Ahman is done.

I felt he should've been slated as the starter the day we drafted him. Kinda like Walker too. Dont know why Kubes doesnt.

I have to seriously question Kubiak's judgment in keeping Green on the roster then naming him a starter....then pulling Green for the first running play of the year vs the Steelers - then Green can't play in week 3 with us already having a bye week! pathetic.

Loved what I saw from Slaton though...but keeping Green at the top of the RB depth chart in lieu of last season and what we saw from Slaton in the preseason just has me more cynical about Kubiaks talent evaluation skills.

GuerillaBlack
09-22-2008, 05:59 PM

Hopefully this becomes Chris Taylor's job.

Texans_Chick
09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
I have to seriously question Kubiak's judgment in keeping Green on the roster then naming him a starter....then pulling Green for the first running play of the year vs the Steelers - then Green can't play in week 3 with us already having a bye week! pathetic.

Loved what I saw from Slaton though...but keeping Green at the top of the RB depth chart in lieu of last season and what we saw from Slaton in the preseason just has me more cynical about Kubiaks talent evaluation skills.

I think they were afraid of: 1. baby running backs getting their QB killed; 2. baby RB limiting the playbook; 3. baby running back fools gold.

He likes for rookies to earn their starting spots if he has choices so they don't get big head and learn how to prepare.

GP
09-23-2008, 12:46 AM
I think they were afraid of: 1. baby running backs getting their QB killed; 2. baby RB limiting the playbook; 3. baby running back fools gold.

He likes for rookies to earn their starting spots if he has choices so they don't get big head and learn how to prepare.

I usually like your analysis, but you're way too positive for me. LOL. Of course, maybe it helps neutralize my growing disdain for Kubiak recently. Slaton showed more dazzle in the preseason than any of Kubiak's other drafted Texans RBs in the past, and this is why SWTbound was so sure that Kubiak had to see what a lot of us were seeing in the preseason. Surely Kubiak knew that Slaton was our best chance. Surely?

I am going to PRAY that the depth charts are set the way they are because it's one of those tasks that nobody takes care of when preseason ends and somebody just keeps forgetting to update the depth chart or something...so, h-o-p-e-f-u-l-l-y it's not really updated like it should be. I'm going to choose to believe that Kubiak, by now, sees that Steve Slaton is his MAIN running back (the guy slated at the top of the depth chart).

Steve is doing nothing but flying really low under the radar right now, and he's handling his business like he knows he's made for this. You don't see him doing stupid stuff after a great play. He acts like he's been there before.

Dude is easily the gutsy RB we've needed for a long time. To escape Haynesworth, and break it big around the edge...to plow over Griffin and shovel him into the end zone for a TD...to not give up even when Schaub hung him out to dry with badly timed passes that should have been thrown earlier and HARDER...to twist, and stiff arm, and streak past guys who had angles on him...well, it was the ONLY thing keeping me glued to the TV.

This root beer's for you, Steve. Thank you for playing hard.

mussop
09-23-2008, 03:49 AM

How many times did Schaub get sacked? How many times did he get pressured and how many times did he get knocked down? How many times did our running backs get hit in the backfield? Even on the 2 long runs by Salton he had to break a tackle in the backfield. Not saying they wont improve just saying they aint that good at all, right now.

beerlover
09-23-2008, 05:06 AM
to Kubiak Slayton is but the apostle following the NFL RB creed of duty who yearn to capture a spoon of acceptance. consider this his official christening. Gary is very strong in his belief & I think Slayton will be made an example of, in a good way very slowly at first maybe but surely turning the corner of what so far has been a very forgetable beginning :)

Blake
09-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Week 3 Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week nominees

Quarterback Joe Flacco (http://www.nfl.com/players/joeflacco/profile?id=FLA009602) of the Baltimore Ravens (http://www.nfl.com/teams/baltimoreravens/profile?team=BAL), defensive end Phillip Merling (http://www.nfl.com/players/phillipmerling/profile?id=MER427282) of the Miami Dolphins (http://www.nfl.com/teams/miamidolphins/profile?team=MIA), running back Felix Jones (http://www.nfl.com/players/felixjones/profile?id=JON313929) of the Dallas Cowboys (http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL), quarterback Matt Ryan (http://www.nfl.com/players/mattryan/profile?id=RYA238179) of the Atlanta Falcons (http://www.nfl.com/teams/atlantafalcons/profile?team=ATL) and running back Steve Slaton (http://www.nfl.com/players/steveslaton/profile?id=SLA557176) of the Houston Texans (http://www.nfl.com/teams/houstontexans/profile?team=HOU) are the finalists for Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week honors for games played on Sept. 21-22.

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies

HOU-TEX
09-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Week 3 Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week nominees

Quarterback Joe Flacco (http://www.nfl.com/players/joeflacco/profile?id=FLA009602) of the Baltimore Ravens (http://www.nfl.com/teams/baltimoreravens/profile?team=BAL), defensive end Phillip Merling (http://www.nfl.com/players/phillipmerling/profile?id=MER427282) of the Miami Dolphins (http://www.nfl.com/teams/miamidolphins/profile?team=MIA), running back Felix Jones (http://www.nfl.com/players/felixjones/profile?id=JON313929) of the Dallas Cowboys (http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL), quarterback Matt Ryan (http://www.nfl.com/players/mattryan/profile?id=RYA238179) of the Atlanta Falcons (http://www.nfl.com/teams/atlantafalcons/profile?team=ATL) and running back Steve Slaton (http://www.nfl.com/players/steveslaton/profile?id=SLA557176) of the Houston Texans (http://www.nfl.com/teams/houstontexans/profile?team=HOU) are the finalists for Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week honors for games played on Sept. 21-22.

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies

Felix Jones or Matt Ryan will get it.

It's nice to see Slaton nominated though.