PDA

View Full Version : Wins and losses after Ike

GNTLEWOLF
09-18-2008, 04:31 AM
I was just sitting here thinking about the similarities between the damage done to Houston by Ike and that done to New Orleans by Katrina. Part of that thinking led me down the road of wondering what effect the destuction of Houston by ike will have on the won /loss column this season. The Saints suffered a disasterous season after Katrina. I understand a lot of that was because they really didn't have any real home games after that event. But I was wondering how what must be a personally demoralizing event that effects the personal lives of these men and there families will have on this season. My hope is that it will put a chip on their shoulders and make them play from deep inside their hearts. I also have entertained the thought that this might cause them to have a hard time concentrating on football and might cause this season to be a step backward for us. Either way, What are your thoughts on this? How do you guys and gals see this as effecting the rest of our season? Does it make us better, or worse? Have any of you revised your won/ loss predictions based on this event?

kiwitexansfan
09-18-2008, 04:37 AM
I was expecting a 8-8ish season pre-Ike, when I heard we were going to get no bye week I dropped that to 6-10ish, after reading about the team and how they have been effected I am down to the 4-12ish area.

Real bad news for the win/loss column this year.

The emotional and logistical disruption will leave the team unfocused and tired... and that is enough to lose in the NFL.

Sideline
09-18-2008, 07:21 AM
8-8 at least, we are not as bad as that team that played Pittsburgh, dont give up on our season just yet. There are playoff spots open galore now in the AFC with the Patriots losing Brady, and the Colts and Jags not being the same teams as they have been.

Keep the Faith!!

Giant Tiger
09-18-2008, 09:19 AM
8-8 at least, we are not as bad as that team that played Pittsburgh, dont give up on our season just yet. There are playoff spots open galore now in the AFC with the Patriots losing Brady, and the Colts and Jags not being the same teams as they have been.

Keep the Faith!!

I like what you're saying & I really hope this will happen. But now I figure 5-6 wins. You're right about the Colts being on their way down, though. One of our wins will come against them.

HJam72
09-18-2008, 09:24 AM
15-0, baby! :fans::fans:

Texan Asylum
09-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Here's to the Houston Texans rising above the various storms in their lives cause by the hurricane, and perhaps inflicting a Texans' version of 'Ike' on the opposing teams. *Texans' hurricane smilie here*

houstonhurricane
09-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I don't mean to sound harsh, but there are Houstonians of all professions who are getting back to work - lawyers, doctors, EMT's, sales, clerks, etc. - while they don't have power at their homes. And they are required to do a good job and perform at their jobs - especially in the coming weeks.

My point is that this has been hard on all Houstonians; however, I don't think our overall record will or should be greatly impacted by the storm. We are what we are - either good enough to have our first winning record...or not.

El Tejano
09-18-2008, 11:29 AM
There are similarities between the Saints and Texans situation. Both teams had homes and families affected by a Hurricane, Both teams had their stadiums affected by the hurricane in which it caused them to reorganize a regular season schedule. However there is a major difference between what the Saints went through and what The Texans went through. The Saints couldn't even practice in New Orleans because everything was completley wiped out and their stadium had no chance of being repaired in the middle of the season. The Texans can and do practice at their current facilities, even if they can't play a game in Reliant this season, they are going to be able to play in Houston and will have their fans there. I don't see this as being the reason a season goes down the drain. Even Kubiak said the team came to the conclusion they can't use this as an excuse.

drewmar74
09-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Prior to Ike I felt like we were a 9-7 to 7-9 club.

After Ike, I feel like we're probably a 4-12 to 6-10 club. Some of this is based on the after effects of Ike, but a lot of it stems from having to play 15 consecutive games. The guys are going to be worn smooth out and have no bye week to get any dinged up players healthy.

Dancerdog
09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
I expect the Texans to play their hearts out in the aftermath of Ike. They know what winning means to their fans and I fully expect them to play with a chip on their shoulder. I believe they have the talent to get the job done on Sundays (and Monday nights). C'mon big guys. Let's shiow the NFL what Houston is all about. Play with intensity and heart and make us and yourselves proud. Houston, Texas Proud!

Texans_Chick
09-18-2008, 12:00 PM
There are similarities between the Saints and Texans situation. Both teams had homes and families affected by a Hurricane, Both teams had their stadiums affected by the hurricane in which it caused them to reorganize a regular season schedule. However there is a major difference between what the Saints went through and what The Texans went through. The Saints couldn't even practice in New Orleans because everything was completley wiped out and their stadium had no chance of being repaired in the middle of the season. The Texans can and do practice at their current facilities, even if they can't play a game in Reliant this season, they are going to be able to play in Houston and will have their fans there. I don't see this as being the reason a season goes down the drain. Even Kubiak said the team came to the conclusion they can't use this as an excuse.

Good points about the differences between the Saints and the Texans.

Even before the hurricane, this is a team with some issues, that was no good at playing on the road.

No telling how they respond. The Astros had no time to even comprehend what was happening to their homes and families before they were playing a game. The Texans have had a bit of time to comprehend their new normal and how much they could help our city out with just winning a football game.

Who knows, maybe this is a bonding experience for the team. Lots of guys having to stay at other guy's houses because they don't have electricity and whatnot.

Honoring Earl 34
09-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Good points about the differences between the Saints and the Texans.

Even before the hurricane, this is a team with some issues, that was no good at playing on the road.

No telling how they respond. The Astros had no time to even comprehend what was happening to their homes and families before they were playing a game. The Texans have had a bit of time to comprehend their new normal and how much they could help our city out with just winning a football game.

Who knows, maybe this is a bonding experience for the team. Lots of guys having to stay at other guy's houses because they don't have electricity and whatnot.

I would hope that the Texans rise above it all and give Houston something to be proud of this Sunday .

Now if I was betting on it I'd be much more skeptical because as TC said ... we have issues . It's a heart and head thing .

I'm going back to the first sentence and hope cause I would'nt bet that the Texans come out knowing this is a diversion for a city that has just gone and still going through hard times and play inspired football .