PDA

View Full Version : New Home Stadium?

Hook'er
09-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Where will we play home games the rest of the 08 season?

J-Russ
09-13-2008, 09:13 PM
You're over-reacting. Does it really take more then 3 weeks to fix the roof and a couple of doors at reliant?

Hook'er
09-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Rice stadium? Alamo Dome?

stingray
09-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Wal-Mart parking lot..

J-Russ
09-13-2008, 09:16 PM
How bout the Longest Yard Stadium? They can fit a couple of hundreds of people and plus, they provides their own cheerleaders! This place get my vote.

ChrisG
09-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Wal-Mart parking lot..

1st downs will be marked by shopping carts :spit:

El Tejano
09-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Wal-Mart parking lot..
Nah, because they will promise to provide ice and then back out.

DiehardChris
09-13-2008, 09:53 PM
nah, because they will promise to provide ice and then back out.

lol

Corrosion
09-13-2008, 10:04 PM
How bout the Longest Yard Stadium? They can fit a couple of hundreds of people and plus, they provides their own cheerleaders! This place get my vote.

I gotta pass on that one , its those cheerleaders they would provide. They prolly got some VY sausage in their G-strings.

ensign_lee
09-15-2008, 12:38 AM
What's wrong with that stadium next door? I think that other football team used to play in it...something called the Astrodome or something? :D

bigfan77801
09-15-2008, 03:09 AM
The rats might be not like being disturbed. And how can I change my user name?

gtexan02
09-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Remember earlier in the year? The astrodome will cost osmething like 500 million to bring up to code. Its out.

I don't know how long Reliant will take to fix up, but its a bit disapointing, given it was suppsoed to be able to resist hurricane force winds. Good thing it wasn't used as a shelter

Thorn
09-15-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm a little dissapointed my tax dollars spent on that stadium didn't get what I helped pay for.

El Tejano
09-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm a little dissapointed my tax dollars spent on that stadium didn't get what I helped pay for.

That brings up a very good point. I'm sure Mcnair is pretty ticked about this too, though.:pirate:

gtexan02
09-15-2008, 10:55 AM
The article says 5/9 of the roof panels fell off. It sure looks like there a lot more than 9 roof panels

IlliniJen
09-15-2008, 11:16 AM
I hope McNair kept the receipt. I'd want my money back if I were him. In cash.

Htownsportsfan
09-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Screw the roof! I am not a fan of the heat but with all of the suffering and loss our friends and neoghboors have been going through it would be nice to try and show a sense of normalcy as soon as possible. Football is far from the most important thing this week but if the roof is not ready by the next home game tear the damn thing off file an insurance claim and lets get Houston going again!

It also would help if we could keep the cool fronts like the one here today coming in on a regular basis!

Remember to say a prayer for those who were lost as well as those of us who were lucky enough to be spared!

God bless

Texan_Bill
09-15-2008, 11:29 AM

The article says 5/9 of the roof panels fell off. It sure looks like there a lot more than 9 roof panels

Can't swear to it, but I think the HLS&R paid for the retractable roof...

In any event, this town will recover and we will be watching football somewhere here in the city within a few weeks...

stevn8r
09-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I have a GREAT idea!!!

Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium here in Austin!!!!!!

It is big enough, close enough, new enough, no one uses it on sundays and its still in Texas! And I bet KEYE would show the games and we would attract more Austin Fans. I just wonder if it is possible :thinking:

Khari
09-15-2008, 11:53 AM
The rats might be not like being disturbed. And how can I change my user name?

PM me what you want it changed to.

Nawzer
09-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Hopefully the roof and whatever else that needs fixing get's fixed soon. We might actually not need the roof if the weather stays the way it is. Even if it get's warmer I think they can keep it open. Anyway, if worse comes to worse they can play in the parking lot behind my apartment.

Drew_Smoke
09-15-2008, 12:54 PM

Staple some blue tarps over it and lets get it on!

gtexan02
09-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Staple some blue tarps over it and lets get it on!

No way! Then it'll be just like a Jaguars home game.

Texan_Bill
09-15-2008, 02:10 PM
No way! Then it'll be just like a Jaguars home game.

:spit:

He meant tarps over the roof, not the seats.... :kingkong:

KEYE SUX
09-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't see why peolpe keep suggesting college stadiums. I don't believe adult beverages can be served due to NCAA rules, even though it is a non sanctioned event. F-HD. Put the game down in San Antonio. Close enough to H-town and still get tasty beverages.

texanhead08
09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Adult Beverages are sold at Robertson Stadium. Its not big enough to host the texans but not all college stadiums are alcohol free.

kiwitexansfan
09-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Reliant will be ready.

Its not like the Superdome in NO which was full of the after effects of katrina, just some structural damage which they can use some of McNair's millions to fix.

TEXANRED
09-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Here is what I do not understand. If its just roof panels and they might not be able to get repaired in time, then why can they just not remove any hazards that remain on the roof, open the door, and leave open for the rest of the season.

I was listening to 610 and they suggested Rice Stadium, but what is the difference playing at Rice or playing at Reliant with the roof open?

They will have plenty of time to finish the roof in the offseason. Lets focus on the regular season.

gwallaia
09-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Five roof panels gone and some flooding on the first floor?

Play the games at Reliant for Christ's sake!

drewmar74
09-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Five roof panels gone and some flooding on the first floor?

Play the games at Reliant for Christ's sake!

Make it an outdoor stadium for the year. Put some duct tape on it and lets go.

*the severity of Ike is not lost on me. BUT, in a few weeks once power comes back, I'm sure that some of you might enjoy a game at Reliant. Might give some normalcy to a very abnormal time....

New_Texans
09-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Why dont we play all our home games in the away teams stadium and call it home games.

signed,

Bud Selig and Drayton "Traitor" McLane

KEYE SUX
09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Why dont we play all our home games in the away teams stadium and call it home games.

signed,

Bud Selig and Drayton "Traitor" McLane

McLane insisted on the HOME game in Houston. He should have refused to even let the team go to Miller Park. Make Selig have to have the Astros "forfeit" the games and the we can tell him that we didn't show up "to insure fairness" in the game like he told us for the World Series.

...and then of course we kick old bud in the balls and spit on his sorry a@@!

El Tejano
09-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Here is what I do not understand. If its just roof panels and they might not be able to get repaired in time, then why can they just not remove any hazards that remain on the roof, open the door, and leave open for the rest of the season.

I was listening to 610 and they suggested Rice Stadium, but what is the difference playing at Rice or playing at Reliant with the roof open?

They will have plenty of time to finish the roof in the offseason. Lets focus on the regular season.

As an insurance agent, myself. The reason why that needs to get replaced now is for future liability issues. An insurance company wants to pay for the damages under the claim. If they don't repair damages now and something else happens between now and the offseason, the insurance company will not be able to properly asses what is damage due to hurricane and what is due to things that happened after the hurricane.

Tedc
09-16-2008, 11:02 AM

That is why god gave us all hardhats.:tedc:

dtran04
09-16-2008, 03:05 PM
ESPN says that McNair is considering Rice if Reliant can't be fixed.

Chicagotexan1
09-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Where will we play home games the rest of the 08 season?

Butler Stadium!! Home of the Fightin Westbury Rebels!! And crackheads and hookers.

GP
09-16-2008, 04:38 PM
ESPN says that McNair is considering Rice if Reliant can't be fixed.

Might as well.

I wonder about the tone of the conversation between McNair and the company that built/engineered Reliant's roof. I imagine that's been an animated discussion, don't you think?

Uh, Bob...there might be more storms like Ike every few years.

I haven't been to Reliant. Is it as good as it should be? Just curious. Seems like the idea to have trays of grass is not working too well for football, and now the roof issue has hit the fan.

Texan_Bill
09-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Make it an outdoor stadium for the year. Put some duct tape on it and lets go.

*the severity of Ike is not lost on me. BUT, in a few weeks once power comes back, I'm sure that some of you might enjoy a game at Reliant. Might give some normalcy to a very abnormal time....

Can't do that. According to Bob McNair, Reliant isn't built for drainage in the event of heavy rains (hey, it's Houston, heavy rains are always a possibility) (on if it is an option to play in the stadium with an open roof) "Well, I understand there's an issue with drainage; if it's open and you have a lot of rain, it's an issue. But if you have good weather like this, there's good possibility that you could just play with it open. Certainly that's what was anticipated. But I think the drainage is something that is a concern if you had a tropical deluge. Just two or three inches of rain in a very short period of time, that could create a problem."

Link: McNair hopeful Reliant will be game ready by Oct-5.html (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-4-116/McNair-hopeful-Reliant-will-be-game-ready-by-Oct--5.html)

ESPN says that McNair is considering Rice if Reliant can't be fixed. At first I didn't think that was possible because they removed the seats in the endzone. They are there, so they can be un-tarped making it a possibility.

Butler Stadium!! Home of the Fightin Westbury Rebels!! And crackheads and hookers.
:foottap: I resemble that remark.....

bigfan77801
09-16-2008, 09:07 PM
I just saw the same thing on Yahoo.
Link:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texansstadium-mcnair&prov=ap&type=lgns

Texans_Chick
09-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Here's a collection of links I put together on FH that summarizes everything and contains the video:

Texans Players' Houses Damaged; Owner Bob McNair Optimistic About Reliant Stadium (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/16/texans-players-houses-damaged-owner-bob-mcnair-optimistic-abou/)

They are going to have to be the most disciplined team ever to deal with all the stuff they are going through.

Definitely read the presser (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4635) too.

This is Travis Johnson...

(on if his house is salvageable) “Well, the insurance is going to say whether it is or not, but right not it’s not looking like that. Like I said, I’m blessed to have somewhere else to go and to have food to put in my stomach and to feed my kids. So, like I said, I’m still blessed and I’ll be alright.”

(on the damage to his house) “A whole lot of damage, unexplainable damage.”

(on where he stayed) “Ended up going to another house in Quail Valley.”

(on if it was a friends house) “Yeah. We’ll be alright though.”

(on what part of town he is in) “Missouri City, Estates of Silver Ridge. There’s a lot of stuff that I’ve got to figure out, but I’ll be alright.”

(on how sad it was to see his house in that sort of shape) “Oh, it was very sad because most of us have worked our entire life just like any other person, work our whole life to have the American dream: own a house, a car, two dogs, and a cat. To see it destroyed, it’s kind of disheartening, but at the same time, you just have to pick yourself up, and the show must go on and life itself.”

(on if trees fell on the house) “No, I lost the shingles first and then the water just started coming in after that and destroyed the ceilings in the house.”

(on what he does with his family now that the Texans’ schedule has changed) “I guess you have to give the wife instructions before you leave the house. Most wives know what to do because they have that motherly instinct. I guess you’ve got to move on because we still have to come to work just like everybody, just like you all have to come to work, we’ve got to come to work. So, like I said, we’re just blessed to still have our health and to have each other, so we’ll be alright.”

(on if he can still concentrate on football through all of this) “You have to. When you think about it, this is what bought you the house that’s fallen in the first place. It’s kind of like this is my job. So, to be a professional, you’ve got to be able to take the good with the bad. We’re still blessed to be able to come out here to enjoy our teammates and friends. So, we’ll be alright.”

(on if anything that he treasured was destroyed) “Not yet. I’m still in the process of getting some of my memorabilia out. Really, I’m trying to get my Muhammad Ali stuff out because that’s irreplaceable really. I got the photo albums out and stuff like that. I guess it’s little stuff. It’s more sentimental stuff than true value stuff right now.”

(on if the insurance people have come by yet) “No, the insurance people haven’t come by yet. I’m still trying to get to it. They’re supposed to come by tomorrow but you never know with these insurance people.”

(on what happened to his house) “Oh, the house is just damaged really badly. So, it’s one of those things you’ve just got to try to make a way.”

(on if it was a tree that damaged the roof) “No, I lost the shingles first and then the water started coming in. My ceiling collapsed. (DE) Mario’s (Williams) mom and I were really the only two houses to sustain a lot of damage in that area. We’ll be alright.”

(on if it was scary during the storm) “It wasn’t really scary. It was more that I didn’t want to sleep because you have to worry about your kids and wife. My mother-in-law is in town, so you really worry about them more than you worry about yourself. They slept in the closet. I still stayed in the bed even though my wife told me, ‘A window’s going to break on you.’ I didn’t feel comfortable being too far away from where I could hear everything going on.”

(on what part of the house was damaged) “The family room, the theatre room, the upstairs, the downstairs, you name it.”

(on if he lost anything) “I lost stuff. I lost a lot. But, like I said, you don’t lose anything when you’ve still got your family. So, like I said, if it’s God’s will, it’s his way. So, I’ll make a way.”

My FH post includes a picture I took down the street from Mario's house. The street his house is off looks like a tornado went through there.

Koolaid Time
09-17-2008, 02:16 PM
But I think the drainage is something that is a concern if you had a tropical deluge. Just two or three inches of rain in a very short period of time, that could create a problem.

Surely Bob realizes that Reliant Stadium was built within the Brays Bayou Floodplain? Ever notice the large stormwater detention pond over by the Yellow Lot?

And unlike the Astrodome, it was built at grade level. That saved it from massive construction delays after Allison.

And two or three inches of rain in a couple of hours will cause street flooding anywhere in Houston.

hollywood_texan
09-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Surely Bob realizes that Reliant Stadium was built within the Brays Bayou Floodplain? Ever notice the large stormwater detention pond over by the Yellow Lot?

And unlike the Astrodome, it was built at grade level. That saved it from massive construction delays after Allison.

And two or three inches of rain in a couple of hours will cause street flooding anywhere in Houston.

I believe he was referring to the stadium not being designed to have the roof open while it's raining.

The designers probably didn't design for drainage inside the stadium assuming the roof would be closed every time it rains.

I don't think he was referring to drainage outside the stadium as you are describing.