PDA

View Full Version : Best idea yet: Play the game in Texas Stadium on Tuesday night

GP
09-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Tuesday night in Texas Stadium.

ESPN could keep their set up, and stay an extra night. Jerry Jones encourages all TEXANS (meaning people who are from TEXAS) to rally and show up to support "the other Texas" team.

Jerry would score huge points for this, in a sign of Texas solidarity. Houstonians could still drive to the game, and it wouldn't be as neutral of a site as, say, Atlanta would be.

Bob and Jerry donate gate sales to the hurricane victims' relief fund. Done.

Why am I not the commissioner of the NFL?

ChrisG
09-13-2008, 02:32 PM
i would rather play in baltimore than use this as our bye

hopefully they will set up a game on tues or something

DiehardChris
09-13-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't like that idea. It's not enough time to prepare and heal up for the next game against Tennessee. Remember that Tennessee is perhaps the most physical team in the NFL.

Also, the idea of a home game for the Texans at Texas Toilet makes me sick.

GP
09-13-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't like that idea. It's not enough time to prepare and heal up for the next game against Tennessee. Remember that Tennessee is perhaps the most physical team in the NFL.

Also, the idea of a home game for the Texans at Texas Toilet makes me sick.

I think it beats having our bye week NOW, don't you think?

And while our noses would be held, having to play in Texas Stadium, it's not so bad that it be impossible. We might have a rivalry with them, but it hasn't reached a pinnacle yet.

DiehardChris
09-13-2008, 02:46 PM
I think playing Tuesday GREATLY increases our chances to lose at Tennessee.

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2008, 02:53 PM
I think playing Tuesday GREATLY increases our chances to lose at Tennessee.

Maybe. You still have Wed., Thurs., and Friday. One less day than if you played on Monday Night.

Hardcore Texan
09-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Might as well suck it up and have the bye week now, no way in hell do I want to see us play in Dullass.

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't mind it, because I would be able to go. :)

Brando
09-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Good idea GP, but what about Rice Stadium on Monday night? It beats changing the Texans, Ravens, and Bengals schedules, would give us the extra day off and our bye week would still be in place.

DiehardChris
09-13-2008, 03:26 PM
My concern about Rice is - don't they still have the old-style crappy astroturf? Kubiak already hates that our practice bubble has the old turf, and has said that he doesn't like putting Andre Johnson on it... so I can't imagine he'd be thrilled to have AJ playing a meaningful game on turf.

It's not a HUGE deal, but I'd just be afraid of them playing on that carpet... if they still have that old stuff. If not - it's a GREAT idea. I'd love to see a home game outdoors in September.

EDIT - Rice has that FieldTurf stuff - the rubbery mixture that a lot of NFL stadiums used. They got rid of the old turf in '06... so yeah, I hope we play it at Rice!

Brando
09-13-2008, 03:29 PM
My concern about Rice is - don't they still have the old-style crappy astroturf? Kubiak already hates that our practice bubble has the old turf, and has said that he doesn't like putting Andre Johnson on it... so I can't imagine he'd be thrilled to have AJ playing a meaningful game on turf.

It's not a HUGE deal, but I'd just be afraid of them playing on that carpet... if they still have that old stuff. If not - it's a GREAT idea. I'd love to see a home game outdoors in September.

Good point, I didn't even think about Rice Stadium's playing surface.

Edit: I checked and they have Field Turf

The new FieldTurf Duraspine system was installed in February of 2008 and is identical to the surfaces at Ohio State, West Virginia, as well as the home of the New England Patriots. The new field also sports updated logos and the Rice "R" at midfield.

LINK (http://riceowls.cstv.com/facilities/rice-stadium.html)

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2008, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't mind Rice either. Curious to see what the NFL will do.

DiehardChris
09-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Good point, I didn't even think about Rice Stadium's playing surface.

Edit: I checked and they have Field Turf

LINK (http://riceowls.cstv.com/facilities/rice-stadium.html)

LOL, yeah I checked the same thing - but it's all good. NFL uses that stuff too.

Mailman
09-13-2008, 03:36 PM
The difficulty of rescheduling the game on the fly in another stadium is the logistics of staffing the building and making it suitable to play an NFL game. There is no good solution for the Texans. We're f88kked no matter what. Either the team has to take an early bye or we lose a home game.

I can't imagine the NFL relocating the game on short notice. This sucks.

GP
09-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Paint some lines on the surface of Minute Maid Park.

Story says it survived and is in PLAYABLE condition: Minute Maid Park OK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3585407)

Brando
09-13-2008, 03:39 PM
LOL, yeah I checked the same thing - but it's all good. NFL uses that stuff too.

I forgot, I attended a game in 2000(Rice and Houston) and the bathrooms and concessions are horrible. Unless they did some work on the stadium, I don't know what they are going to do.

Edit: I also forgot with the new HD replay equipment, Rice stadium wouldn't be an option. The game has been moved to Week 10 anyway.

Hook'er
09-13-2008, 09:07 PM

ESPN could keep their set up, and stay an extra night. Jerry Jones encourages all TEXANS (meaning people who are from TEXAS) to rally and show up to support "the other Texas" team.

Jerry would score huge points for this, in a sign of Texas solidarity. Houstonians could still drive to the game, and it wouldn't be as neutral of a site as, say, Atlanta would be.

Rather play in the Alamo Dome, Texas Stadium is a dump!

spurstexanstros
09-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Rather play in the Alamo Dome, Texas Stadium is a dump!
Am much better idea, than Dallas, Baltimore or Atlanta. SA is a city without its wown team that can support an NFL game on short notice.

Because this is the second stupidest idea I have heard on the subject. A. the animostity between the two teams and cities. B. Jerry tried to torpedo the texans existance and for 4 years prohibited the Texans from marketing outside of Houston. C. Tuesday gives them no time to recover and plan for tennesee.
What is the first stupid idea of relocation? ( play in another state ATL or NO)

GP
09-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Am much better idea, than Dallas, Baltimore or Atlanta. SA is a city without its wown team that can support an NFL game on short notice.

Because this is the second stupidest idea I have heard on the subject. A. the animostity between the two teams and cities. B. Jerry tried to torpedo the texans existance and for 4 years prohibited the Texans from marketing outside of Houston. C. Tuesday gives them no time to recover and plan for tennesee.
What is the first stupid idea of relocation? ( play in another state ATL or NO)

Uh, as bad as the Texans are right now...I don't think Jerry is afraid of losing much of the market to the Mighty Houston Texans right now.

You just hate the Cowboys so much that you think this is like Russia vs. USA or something. At the end of the day, I think Jerry might say "Yes" if it made him look good in the public's eye.

LOL. We'll never know how things went down on this issue.

I do know this: Bob refused to play anywhere but Houston. Seems like plenty of places were reaching out, but Bob refused the handout. Correct?

dtran04
09-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Jerry doesn't allow the Texans to be shown on TV much less come to his city. LOL

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Jerry doesn't allow the Texans to be shown on TV much less come to his city. LOL

They were shown in DFW last season.

spurstexanstros
09-13-2008, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=spurstexanstros;998714]Am much better idea, than Dallas, Baltimore or Atlanta. SA is a city without its wown team that can support an NFL game on short notice.

Uh, as bad as the Texans are right now...I don't think Jerry is afraid of losing much of the market to the Mighty Houston Texans right now.

You just hate the Cowboys so much that you think this is like Russia vs. USA or something. At the end of the day, I think Jerry might say "Yes" if it made him look good in the public's eye.

LOL. We'll never know how things went down on this issue.

I do know this: Bob refused to play anywhere but Houston. Seems like plenty of places were reaching out, but Bob refused the handout. Correct?

I think we agree, just from different angles. The Texans dropped the ball by not having a plan in place if reliant was not viable. He should have learned from the NO situation, but he was stubborn and it is gonna cost his team. He writes the checks, and this season he has to take some of the blame if the Texans fade out. The game should have been played this week.

Bottom line first priority was to Houston and not playing game there, second having a back up plan in the event the worst case scenario happened. They did the right thing, but didnt plan before it happened. I am just glad there is not widespread fatalities.

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2008, 11:17 PM
It wasn't like the we were going to play the Ravens in Baltimore though (what happened between the Saints and Giants). We could have probably played in Austin, SA, or Dallas. Advantage Texans.

GP
09-13-2008, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=GP;998722]

I think we agree, just from different angles. The Texans dropped the ball by not having a plan in place if reliant was not viable. He should have learned from the NO situation, but he was stubborn and it is gonna cost his team. He writes the checks, and this season he has to take some of the blame if the Texans fade out. The game should have been played this week.

Bottom line first priority was to Houston and not playing game there, second having a back up plan in the event the worst case scenario happened. They did the right thing, but didnt plan before it happened. I am just glad there is not widespread fatalities.

Yeah, I think hindsight is always 20-20.

Our state's evacuation system probably got smarter (and better) since Katrina ravaged New Orleans. You see a heart-wrenching thing like that, and it tends to make you sit up and pay attention.

I don't think Bob thought this could happen to Reliant. Or he at least felt the odds were in his favor.

Reliant was said to be the best newly-built facility when it was unveiled...but the tray system for grass has not been as good as the Cardinal's system of dragging the whole thing in and out in one piece. And now? The roof engineering is in serious question. Bob is not happy right now.

I was going to call him on his cellie, tell him my ideas about how to turn lemons into lemonade this week, but I'm not going to do that now.

spurstexanstros
09-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Alamodome is booked until end of the month with convention so that is out. They will be ready on october 5 in case reliant is not ready, so we have to hope everything is good to go and everyone in houston is safe.... and go easy on Bob because apperently he had no choice.