PDA

View Full Version : Game postponed, damage to Reliant

austintexanite
09-13-2008, 12:00 PM
I just hope everyone is alright.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5999358.html

Nawzer
09-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah I just read that on Chron. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad but it's bad enough to the point they had to cancel it. That's a bummer but it's the right thing to do if the facility is not safe.

jaayteetx
09-13-2008, 12:11 PM
You know, I was kinda pissed when the NFL came out with the schedule. Three outta the first four on the road. Looks like its gonna work out best that way, seeing as how if the Texans had been scheduled for home games the next week or two the stadium wouldn't be ready.

jaayteetx
09-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Another thing the NFL might want to consider, schedule early home games for teams that might be affected by tropical weather, ie Miami, Houston, New Orleans, Carolina, Jax, and Tampa against division foes that way they could easily swap out their home dates.

Daravenator
09-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Man, you guys will do anything to avoid playing the Ravens!

No, seriously, what a biatch! I hope that, first of all, that all of you and yours are safe and that your homes, trucks, cars, etc are undamaged. Then I hope your stadium will be repaired in enough time for your next at-home game.

jaayteetex, that is an excellent suggestion! I wonder why none of those dime-store lawyers who work for the NFL have never thought of it!

I guess I'll have to jump over to the Cleveland Forums now, which will NOT be as cordial as the Texans Forum has been. Good luck and God bless to you guys and I'll be back probably in October!

jaayteetx
09-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks, maybe they'll have a troll surf these message boards and get a clue.

09-13-2008, 12:32 PM
dang it.

BSofA04
09-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh god, not Reliant!!!!!! :shocked

(But seriously, I hope everyone is ok)

valleytexfan
09-13-2008, 12:41 PM
bummer for the game...but I hope everyone in the Houston area is ok...

gtexan02
09-13-2008, 12:42 PM
What a downer.... sometimes things like sports games can really lift a towns spirits. Lets hope the astros have it in them to finish the wild card run

rockabilly
09-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I wonder if they may keep the game monday night, but move it to baltimore or a nuetral ground...maybe san antonio alamo dome - lot of houstonians there anyway.

gtexan02
09-13-2008, 12:44 PM
How would they do it on th eTExans Bye Week? Its not the same as the Ravens, and no NFL team is going to play 2 games in 2 days

gtexan02
09-13-2008, 12:45 PM
I hope they move it to SA

jaayteetx
09-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I wonder if they may keep the game monday night, but move it to baltimore or a nuetral ground...maybe san antonio alamo dome - lot of houstonians there anyway.

no way they move it to baltimore, i think the nfl learned their lesson with the saints

rockabilly
09-13-2008, 12:47 PM
They would move the bengas bye week. I dont think the Texans or the Ravens however want to use their bye week now...you need that midseason break.

jaayteetx
09-13-2008, 12:52 PM
How would they do it on th eTExans Bye Week? Its not the same as the Ravens, and no NFL team is going to play 2 games in 2 days

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53362&page=12

J-Russ
09-13-2008, 12:55 PM
This sucks, but I hope everyone is safe. If it was strong enough to damage reliant then we have to worry about people and the city of Houston first.

I hate that we have to play the Raven (possibly) later in the season, when they have a chance to become a more better team down the road. Right now they have 17 people dinged up and on their injury list, and a inexperienced QB, it would've been a perfect game to get our season going. I wonder if the neutral zone is still in play?

gtexan02
09-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Play it in the dome!

jaayteetx
09-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Play it in the dome!

The rats might get upset.

J-Russ
09-13-2008, 01:03 PM
The Texans and Ravens will have no comment until they hear from the league. Conference calls among three are scheduled for later today.

The NFL will determine where and when the Texans play the Ravens. The Texans' bye week (Oct. 26) is a possibility.

The big question is, can Reliant Stadium be repaired in time for the Texans' next home game Oct. 5 against Indianapolis.

The Colts game marks the first of three in a row at home. Miami (Oct. 12) and Detroit (Oct. 19) are scheduled to come to Houston after Indianapolis.

We should get an answer by 3pm. Supposedly, they had some back-up plans from their last meeting, I guess they're going over now.

It sounds like Reliant is damage pretty bad, if they think it might not be fixed up by week 5. I was suggesting we move the Titans game home and switch the 2nd one in Tenn. but that might not be possible.

HardcoreTexan
09-13-2008, 01:13 PM
This is a very unfortunate situation. I do hope everyone is safe.

TheRealJoker
09-13-2008, 01:24 PM
I wonder if the return game against the Colts will be moved to a nat'l outlet as a special case flex schedule. I also wonder if it'll be similar to the Saints return to the Superdome that sparked their run to the conference title game in 06...

ChrisG
09-13-2008, 01:37 PM
anyone kno when the NFL is supposed to make a decision?

hopefully they find another answer other than using this as our bye

kastofsna
09-13-2008, 01:54 PM
this blows

any word on the actual damage?

Mailman
09-13-2008, 01:56 PM
What about playing the game in San Antonio?

ChrisG
09-13-2008, 01:58 PM
What about playing the game in San Antonio?

that is what im hoping for, a new venue for the game

a bye week this week will hurt our team in the long run (for the season)

J-Russ
09-13-2008, 02:05 PM
this blows

any word on the actual damage?

A preliminary assessment showed some damage to Reliant Stadium after Ike passed through.

``We lost about five panels from the stadium (roof), and then some doors were blown off,'' said Edgar Colon, chairman of the Harris County Sports and Convention Corp. By mid-morning, he had not been able to personally visit the site.

``We have not been able to give a visual inspection,'' Colon said. ``This right now is preliminary. We have not done a full inspection.''

http://blogs.chron.com/hurricanes/2008/09/texans_game_postponed_damage_r.html

steds
09-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Wow. This is the first I've heard of the hurricane, as I've just moved and don't have internet access or a TV atm. I hope it's not too serious.

Has the worst of it passed?

ChrisG
09-13-2008, 02:22 PM
u would think is a hurricane was coming through they would take down the banners lol

http://www.chron.com/photos/2008/09/13/13005669/260xStory.jpg

GP
09-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Tuesday night in Texas Stadium.

ESPN could keep their set up, and stay an extra night. Jerry Jones encourages all TEXANS (meaning people who are from TEXAS) to rally and show up to support "the other Texas" team. He would score huge points for this, in a sign of Texas solidarity.

Why am I not the commissioner of the NFL?

BSofA04
09-13-2008, 02:32 PM

ESPN could keep their set up, and stay an extra night. Jerry Jones encourages all TEXANS (meaning people who are from TEXAS) to rally and show up to support "the other Texas" team. He would score huge points for this, in a sign of Texas solidarity.

If not in San Antonio...why not? I like it.

kiwitexansfan
09-13-2008, 02:41 PM
and they said it was hurricane proof. whatever they decide to do this is not good news for the texans season. I would say this knocks 2 wins off our win total.

GP
09-13-2008, 02:43 PM
If not in San Antonio...why not? I like it.

This is where someone's Public Relations team is taking a nap: This is an easy score for both teams, as well as for the league.

It would work, especially with ESPN already in the building.

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2008, 02:52 PM

Please call the NFL. This suggestion wins.

J-Russ
09-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Apparently, from Fox news, there is reports that FEMA workers are tossing the football around instead doing search and rescue operation. I'm glad the stadium is still in good enough condition for these professionals rescuers to play in. :mcnugget:

DiehardChris
09-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Still a bad idea! In this thread and the other one devoted to it.

It's not enough time to get ready and face the most physical defense in the league, Tennessee. I don't really have a problem with the idea of them playing the game in Dallas - but not on Tuesday.

ATXan
09-13-2008, 04:38 PM
I know this would never happen in a million years but I would love to see them play here in memorial stadium. It would make up for the longhorn game that was canceled today, but besides football I hope everyone made it out safe from the storm.

DiehardChris
09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I know this would never happen in a million years but I would love to see them play here in memorial stadium. It would make up for the longhorn game that was canceled today, but besides football I hope everyone made it out safe from the storm.

Now THAT would be awesome. To see the Texans in Austin. Yes, totally impossible - but man, it would be great.

jaayteetx
09-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Just wondering, did they have the roof closed? Maybe if they would have had it open they could have avoided damage. They could have removed the turf beforehand to avoid saturation of the field. I'm not an engineer or anything, can somebody who is maybe help here?

09-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Just wondering, did they have the roof closed? Maybe if they would have had it open they could have avoided damage. They could have removed the turf beforehand to avoid saturation of the field. I'm not an engineer or anything, can somebody who is maybe help here?

dude... it'd be a LOT more damaged if it was left open... i really hope you were kidding...

jaayteetx
09-13-2008, 05:51 PM
dude... it'd be a LOT more damaged if it was left open... i really hope you were kidding...

the stadium or the roof? and no i wasn't kidding. like i said, i'm not an engineer or anything. just seems like if it were retracted, it would have been more protected.

brakos82
09-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Texans-Ravens postponed until 11/9 (http://www.khou.com/sports/stories/khou080913_mp_texans_ravens_game.71972ebb.html)

mattieuk
09-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Probably a good idea to reschedule the game, after seeing pictures from the safety of my living room on the news Houston looks pretty devastated in areas.

Thoughts and prayers with everyone in Houston tonight, and we can only hope that everything isn't too bad and clear-up can get underway, and life get back to normal.

kastofsna
09-13-2008, 06:27 PM
this sucks for the Texans, they're not getting a true bye-week now.

hot pickle
09-13-2008, 06:41 PM
the texans and the ravens should each get an extra 3rd round pick for this.... what a crock of 5H1T

DiehardChris
09-13-2008, 06:44 PM

Exactly. This right now is not a bye week. This is a stressful time for the players and the city alike. A bye is supposed to be a break. This isn't a break.

Also - 3 consecutive road games against playoff teams to start the season. Ugh.

tedr
09-13-2008, 06:45 PM
I'd like to play this weekend too, but it does mean that the Texans will have four straight home games (Oct. 5, 12, 19, 26) since the Bengals game has been moved to Oct. 26. Of course, we'll end up playing three on the road to start the season.

gtexan02
09-13-2008, 07:31 PM
This really sucks. Instead of getting 2 weeks to prepare for an opponent, we only get 1

Giant Tiger
09-13-2008, 07:50 PM
the texans and the ravens should each get an extra 3rd round pick for this.... what a crock of 5H1T

Or an extra home game next year :thinking:

Texans_Chick
09-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Even if Reliant wasn't damaged, the city is in no condition to host a game.

And I am guessing that the Texans are in no condition to play a game. I haven't met anyone who slept through last night, other than kids.

It would have been stupid to require the Texans to play at a neutral place when their familes were at risk.

GP
09-13-2008, 10:28 PM
This is just a no-win, for everyone.

And that includes Texas residents affected by the hurricane.

I'm safe way up here in Amarillo, so I can't imagine the emotions of those down on the gulf coast. The NFL needs to do a solid for Houston.

J-Russ
09-13-2008, 10:57 PM

Yep. It's like working at a 13 hour job without a real lunch break. Your lunch break was given to you after the first hour, so now you're going to have to work for 11 hour straight after your "break". HA. Considering how injury-prone our teams our, this might be a decisions that bite us in the butt later on the season.

But right now this isn't about football, it's about the safety of the people and city. I can understand where Bob is coming from, I mean the people of Houston can't even watch their own team because they are busy cleaning up the messes around their house, neighborhood, and city. It'll be selfish for us 'out of towners' to demand a game this week. We don't know what the city of Houston is going through, so we can't say much about the situation.

thunderkyss
09-14-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm typing this from an iPod touch this is just a test

Allstar
09-14-2008, 01:12 AM
This really sucks. Instead of getting 2 weeks to prepare for an opponent, we only get 1

Technically we get 2 weeks to prepare for Baltimore.

jaayteetx
09-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Technically we get 2 weeks to prepare for Baltimore.

Good point, although things will certainly change between now and then.

jaayteetx
09-14-2008, 01:17 AM
Bad news Ravens fans, #23 will be back on the field!:redtowel:

barrett
09-14-2008, 02:28 AM
I'd like to play this weekend too, but it does mean that the Texans will have four straight home games (Oct. 5, 12, 19, 26) since the Bengals game has been moved to Oct. 26. Of course, we'll end up playing three on the road to start the season.

excellent point! yes we do loose a bye weeek but for a team like us with such drastic dispairity between home and away games it may be better for us to have those 4 games instead of a week off! if we can make it through the road stint ok we could be in good shape!

Seņor Stan
09-14-2008, 06:44 AM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2008/09/13/13013043/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Malloy
09-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Look at that Astrodome, so nice... and unhurt :)

Ckw
09-14-2008, 02:55 PM
I like what the guy a few posts up to me said: all this does is allow Dunta to be back for the Baltimore game. :kingkong:

GP
09-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Look at that Astrodome, so nice... and unhurt :)

It's made of solid steel.

Reliant must be made of fiberglass and aluminum or something.

Is this off-season or something? Man, I really hate the weather right now. Bob should sue the weather for this.

Sue the weather.

GuerillaBlack
09-14-2008, 03:37 PM

Just open the roof or something right? Wouldn't that work?

KEYE SUX
09-14-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm sorry but I just don't get the 4 home games in October arguement. Is this better than 3 home games and a week to recover and rest up for the rest of the season...er..um...(cough)...playoff push?

GuerillaBlack
09-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Say you work for 16 hours a day and you get a one hour break. Would you rather take that break after the 1st hour, or after the 8th hour?

GP
09-14-2008, 10:57 PM
If we make the playoffs after all this crap...

It will be a story-book year.

Texans suffer a huge loss in Pittsburgh to start the season, screwed out of a normal bye week, and then rattle off 15-straight games...and make the playoffs when they were supposedly in the toughest division in the NFL and expected to finish nowhere near the top.

Maybe this turns things around. Maybe...

GuerillaBlack
09-14-2008, 11:11 PM

Texans suffer a huge loss in Pittsburgh to start the season, screwed out of a normal bye week, and then rattle off 15-straight games...and make the playoffs when they were supposedly in the toughest division in the NFL and expected to finish nowhere near the top.

The only thing I'm hoping for. That the city and team rally together for a storybook year.

KEYE SUX
09-14-2008, 11:13 PM
it worked for NO.

kiwitexansfan
09-15-2008, 12:24 AM

Or maybe we go 5-11 because of the disruptions....

I guess that is why they play the games.

gtexan02
09-15-2008, 08:37 AM
it worked for NO.

They did horribly the year Katrina hit. Thats why they got the #2 pick in the draft. They did well the year after Katrina

KEYE SUX
09-15-2008, 02:25 PM
They did horribly the year Katrina hit. Thats why they got the #2 pick in the draft. They did well the year after Katrina

Sorry. I guess I was only remembering the "homecoming" back to the superdome

Koolaid Time
09-15-2008, 11:45 PM

Regardless of damage, its hard to have a tailgate and football game with FEMA using the Relaint Parking lots to stage dozens of tractor trailer rigs.

Seņor Stan
09-16-2008, 10:43 AM

In my opinion, that may be the only option to get the Reliant ready. The question is, will they be able to open the roof?

As far as fixing the roof, they don't stock those huge piece's of material at the Home Depot (correct me if I am wrong Wolf :) )

I would imagine there is a lead time of several weeks if not months on custom pieces like that. I don't know if they would want to play in the stadium with the pieces missing or not.

Now, if we had a stadium like this one, then we could go down to the Home Depot, pick up a few pieces of aluminum siding and be ready to roll.

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/DallasCowboys/aerial.jpg

El Tejano
09-16-2008, 11:04 AM
The only thing I'm hoping for. That the city and team rally together for a storybook year.

Please see my thread titled "Fans Step Up"

Texan Asylum
09-16-2008, 11:11 AM

I haven't read the entire thread (well actually hardly any!) so this question might have already been asked, so please excuse the repeat if that's the case...

What would the logistics be of using the Astrodome for Texans' football till Reliant is ready? Is there any reason it cannot be utilized?

Texan_Bill
09-16-2008, 11:19 AM
What would the logistics be of using the Astrodome for Texans' football till Reliant is ready? Is there any reason it cannot be utilized?

The Astrodome would not be an option. It is dilapidated and generally a mess. The last time I stepped foot in it (during the construction of Reliant) the astroturf looked like worn out - outdoor carpet. The stadium stunk of mold. I doubt that it would even be healthy for the public to be in there.

Texan Asylum
09-16-2008, 11:31 AM
The Astrodome would not be an option. It is dilapidated and generally a mess. The last time I stepped foot in it (during the construction of Reliant) the astroturf looked like worn out - outdoor carpet. The stadium stunk of mold. I doubt that it would even be healthy for the public to be in there.

Bummers...

There's not talk of tearing it down, or anything like that, is there?

Wolf
09-17-2008, 12:02 PM
sorry stan, that material is sold out LOL

here is a bigger aerial view

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/ike/geo-C25955575.jpg

I think I still see TB down there tailgating :specnatz:

Is that J-love next to him? (sorry HOU-TEX)

sorry for the double post, I forgot this thread existed and posted on another thread

TEXANS84
09-17-2008, 12:15 PM
All the paneling blew off the North side of the stadium directly over the Bullpen.

Guess now we can officially say "The Bullpen will blow the roof off the stadium".

Wolf
09-20-2008, 04:37 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/sports/pro/football&sa=NFL&eid=3599237

The damage caused by Hurricane Ike to Reliant Stadium, home of the Houston Texans, is not deterring the team from its plans to host the Indianapolis Colts on Oct. 5.
The damage caused by Hurricane Ike to Reliant Stadium, home of the Houston Texans, is not deterring the team from its plans to host the Indianapolis Colts on Oct. 5.

The result of the damage, however, might force the Texans to play the rest of the season with the roof open.

The stadium and its retractable roof are sound structurally and mechanically, according to the Houston Chronicle, but five Teflon-coated fiberglass roof panels more than 350 feet each were dislodged and will have to be repaired. Four of the five damaged roof panels are located above the playing surface.

GuerillaBlack
09-20-2008, 04:43 PM
So where's the fifth panel?

*calls Sherlock*

Daravenator
09-22-2008, 10:39 AM
On a side note, how are you guys faring more than a week after Ike? Galveston looks hard-hit from what I see. How's Houston coming along?

Wolf
02-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Abseilers drop in to repair stadium

Published Date: 01 February 2009
By Rosemary Gallagher
SCOTTISH experts have been called on to provide specialist abseiling teams to repair an American football stadium damaged by Hurricane Ike.
Industrial testing firm Reel Group is repairing the retractable roof of the Reliant Stadium, home of the Houston Texans, which suffered serious damage as the city was battered by 120mph winds for six hours on September 13 last year.

Soon after the hurricane abated, the stadium's owners contacted the Houston offices of Aberdeen-based international inspection and testing company Reel, part of the Global Energy Group, for help in assessing the extent of the damage. Reel, whose usual customers are from the offshore oil and gas industry, had a team of rope access specialists on the 265ft high stadium roof that day to begin the inspection.

http://business.scotsman.com/business/Abseilers-drop-in--to.4934036.jp