PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate Mario's run defense?

TheRealJoker
09-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I think I read somewhere that he was statistically one of the top 10 DE in the league his rookie year for avg ypc when teams ran to his side. How would you rate him as a run stopper compared to other DEs in the league, any statistical evidence would be appreciated.

barrett
09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
well last sunday he was blowing up the line and into the back field before he even had a chance to notice that the play had been misdirected around him.

time will tell but i have a feeling he's going to be good at everything.

Specnatz
09-11-2008, 02:38 PM
well last sunday he was blowing up the line and into the back field before he even had a chance to notice that the play had been misdirected around him.

time will tell but i have a feeling he's going to be good at everything.

There was two specific plays that happened on, and one of them was the TD by Parker.

beerlover
09-11-2008, 03:20 PM
found this little tidbit off NFLDraftScout.com pay special interest to bold print-

Williams recorded 87 tackles, 13 sacks, 22 stops for losses, five forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and five blocked kicks as a senior for Coach Kevin Williams. He also played running back as a senior because of injuries at that position, rushing for 590 yards and three touchdowns on 58 carries. He also recorded over 100 tackles as a junior.

just how cool would it be if the Texans put Mario Williams in @ RB down on the goal line to punch-in the end zone :mario3:

dtran04
09-11-2008, 03:25 PM
He's great when they run directly at him. It's the counters, draws, and screens that get him, by design of course. Overall, probably better than his actual pass rush skills in my opinion. Once he gets those skills down, watch out.

V3rm0nt3r
09-11-2008, 03:29 PM
found this little tidbit off NFLDraftScout.com pay special interest to bold print-

Williams recorded 87 tackles, 13 sacks, 22 stops for losses, five forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and five blocked kicks as a senior for Coach Kevin Williams. He also played running back as a senior because of injuries at that position, rushing for 590 yards and three touchdowns on 58 carries. He also recorded over 100 tackles as a junior.

just how cool would it be if the Texans put Mario Williams in @ RB down on the goal line to punch-in the end zone :mario3:

we finally have an answer to our RB problem!!!:trophy:

Thorn
09-11-2008, 03:51 PM
we finally have an answer to our RB problem!!!:trophy:

Does this remind anyone else besides me of The 'Fridge from the old Steelers? LOL

rmartin65
09-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Wow, thats over 10 yards per carry.

disaacks3
09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Does this remind anyone else besides me of The 'Fridge from the old Steelers? LOL
Only in the fact that they play on the Defensive line. :d:

Heck, Mario has speed to turn the corner. I just can't imagine the Texans coaches taking any chances on him getting hurt that way. That said - I'd friggin LOVE it if they did!!

Old School
09-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I do believe you are referring to the Fridge that played for the Bears @ 1985. William Perry:thinking:

Thorn
09-11-2008, 04:23 PM
I do believe you are referring to the Fridge that played for the Bears @ 1985. William Perry:thinking:

You're right. My brain is a little scrambled right now.

RipTraxx
09-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I'd give him 8.5-9 on the run.

Malloy
09-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Yeah, we need Mario to stay on the tield for both offensive and defensive plays :)

Honestly, if he does that, he can take plays off!

marks01234
09-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I think I read somewhere that he was statistically one of the top 10 DE in the league his rookie year for avg ypc when teams ran to his side. How would you rate him as a run stopper compared to other DEs in the league, any statistical evidence would be appreciated.

His run defense is raw at this point but he strength at the line is unbelievable. He every bit as strong and quick as Richard Seymour was in his prime with NE.

He does struggle with misdirections, screens, etc. He's young though and seems to learning a fast rate.

Daravenator
09-11-2008, 10:11 PM
You'll find out how good the Ravens think he is when he's double-teamed most of the day.

You guys got one helluva draft pick there in Mario.

kiwitexansfan
09-11-2008, 11:55 PM
You'll find out how good the Ravens think he is when he's double-teamed most of the day.

You guys got one helluva draft pick there in Mario.

I love the Mario pick for what it says about the organisation as a whole. It says they will do what they feel is the right thing in the face of criticism and public pressure. It took large amounts of testicular fortitude to make the choice, and what do you know, it paid off.

As for Run Defense he is a beast, once he starts to recongnise when they are trying to use his penetration against him, he will be a brick wall they can't bust through.

RB's will be like this..... :brickwall:

mattieuk
09-12-2008, 09:21 AM
I'd give him 8.5-9 on the run.

On D or his offensive running abilities :thinking:

Gotta be specific now we've unveiled another RB to try out now. The thought of Mario following Vonta through D lines makes me smile.