PDA

View Full Version : Who is the 2nd-Best Player From the 2006 Rd. 1 Draft?

eriadoc
09-10-2008, 10:51 AM
OK, Mario is the best player from the 1st round of the '06 draft, because I'm a homer. Deal with it.

Who is the second best? Bush? No. VY? Definitely not. Cutler? Maybe. 2006 draft looks pretty good overall so far.

Mario Williams
Reggie Bush
Vince Young
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
A.J. Hawk
Vernon Davis
Michael Huff
Donte Whitner
Ernie Sims
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler
Haloti Ngata
Kamerion Wimbley
Brodrick Bunkley
Tye Hill
Jason Allen
Chad Greenway
Bobby Carpenter
Antonio Cromartie
Tamba Hali
Laurence Maroney
Manny Lawson
Davin Joseph
Johnathan Joseph
Santonio Holmes
John McCargo
DeAngelo Williams
Marcedes Lewis
Nick Mangold
Joseph Addai
Kelly Jennings
Mathias Kiwanuka

PS - Also because I'm a homer, Ryans is the best player from the draft overall, but I am only including Round 1 :)

HJam72
09-10-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't know, but it should've been DeMeco Ryans. :whip:

Wolf
09-10-2008, 10:54 AM

my thoughts exactly

Errant Hothy
09-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I'd say either Antonio Cromartie or AJ Hawk.

eriadoc
09-10-2008, 10:55 AM

That would have meant someone else took him on Round One. Yikes.

Errant Hothy
09-10-2008, 10:56 AM

Ryans should've have gone in Rd 1, but I think we can all agree that we are thankful that he didn't.

eriadoc
09-10-2008, 10:56 AM

Over Kiwanuka, Davin Joseph, Santonio Holmes, or Addai?

Errant Hothy
09-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Over Kiwanuka, Davin Joseph, Santonio Holmes, or Addai?

Yeah.

Who's your pick?

TexansLucky13
09-10-2008, 11:01 AM
My top 5:

Mario
Cutler
Addai
Cromartie
Maroney

HOU-TEX
09-10-2008, 11:02 AM
A.J. Hawk

Polo
09-10-2008, 11:02 AM
What if we would have went another direction and Mario somehow ended up with the Titans

:yikes:

hadaad
09-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Cutler or Hawk. I can't really choose. And you CAN'T MAKE ME!

Malloy
09-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Cutler #2.

And thats pure hindsight!

eriadoc
09-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah.

Who's your pick?

I think, because of the gravity of the position, I might go with Cutler, but the ones I mention are definitely right there as well. I also think that, before it's all said and done, a few other guys will be thought of as very good draft picks (Greenway, Lawson, Ferguson, Mangold, Whitner, and maybe Huff if he gets out of OAK).

eriadoc
09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
What if we would have went another direction and Mario somehow ended up with the Titans

:yikes:

Mario next to Haynesworth would have sucked for us, especially with KVB on the other side.

Polo
09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm going to say Joseph Addai.

As a rookie he came in and performed very well in a starting role despite having big shoes to fill.

Very consistent since day one.

eriadoc
09-10-2008, 11:07 AM

As a rookie he came in and performed very well in a starting role despite having big shoes to fill.

Ahh, going with the hometown guy ... at least, the one that matters ;)

chicagotexan2
09-10-2008, 11:09 AM

I'm with you, Cromartie is a stud.

HOU-TEX
09-10-2008, 11:09 AM

I thought about Addai too, but he sure seems to get dinged up alot lately. :thinking:

Plus, I'll always give the nod to a defensive front seven player. :cool:

beerlover
09-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Jay Cutler. He looks like the second coming of Elway, since offseason diagnoisis of type 1 diabetes. Great role model for eveyone afflicted, know someone or have type 2 diabetes, that you can still do everything a normal person can & in his case better :cool:

Texan_Bill
09-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I know who the Titans would have rather picked.... :whistle:

*cough Cutler cough*

TexansLucky13
09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
I know who the Titans would have rather picked.... :whistle:

*cough Cutler cough*

The Titans with Cutler would be *gulp* incredible. Thank gosh they picked Vince.

rmartin65
09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
I would have to say Cutler. Cromartie is a close 3rd, but Cutler gets the nod because of his position.

Spled
09-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Cutler.

nunusguy
09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Jay Cutler. He looks like the second coming of Elway, since offseason diagnoisis of type 1 diabetes. Great role model for eveyone afflicted, know someone or have type 2 diabetes, that you can still do everything a normal person can & in his case better :cool:
If we could do it all over again, knowing everything we know right now, I'd have to choose Cutler.
Sorry Mario, but Culter is afterall a QB and I can only wonder why he was on the Board as long as he was given the incredible premiums teams put on QBs ? Afterall, there was never any question which QB
had the best arm and which one played in the best college conference.

HoustonFrog
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Antonio Cromartie has to be up there. The guy is a stud.

Cutler, Santonio Holmes, Addai, Hawk

rollinstone18
09-10-2008, 01:30 PM
If we couldn't get Mario, I'd want Cutler.

eriadoc
09-10-2008, 01:32 PM
So what would the backlash have been like at the time if we would have taken Cutler #1 overall instead of Bush, VY, or Mario, or even Ferguson?

No one knows about the draft.

beerlover
09-10-2008, 01:32 PM
If we couldn't get Mario, I'd want Cutler.

Texans owned the 1st pick :winky:

swtbound07
09-10-2008, 01:34 PM
i say cromartie is the class of that draft. absolutely sick. best corner in the nfl

TexansLucky13
09-10-2008, 01:38 PM
So what would the backlash have been like at the time if we would have taken Cutler #1 overall instead of Bush, VY, or Mario, or even Ferguson?

No one knows about the draft.

So that would have been:

#1 - Cutler
#2 - Bush
#3 - Vince
#4 - Mario

I've heard that the Saints thought very highly of Mario, but I doubt they would've taken him over Reggie. Also, I don't think Bud would've passed on the chance to say "screw you" to Houston, so I put Vince there anyways.

The Jets would've ended up with Mario IMO. Cutler to AJ would have been a legendary combination. That said, our defense would suck even worse than it ever did, even with Meco. We might have grabbed a DE instead of Amobi in the '07 draft.

eriadoc
09-10-2008, 01:52 PM
So that would have been:

#1 - Cutler
#2 - Bush
#3 - Vince
#4 - Mario

I've heard that the Saints thought very highly of Mario, but I doubt they would've taken him over Reggie. Also, I don't think Bud would've passed on the chance to say "screw you" to Houston, so I put Vince there anyways.

The Jets would've ended up with Mario IMO. Cutler to AJ would have been a legendary combination. That said, our defense would suck even worse than it ever did, even with Meco. We might have grabbed a DE instead of Amobi in the '07 draft.

Of course, we would have had two extra 2nd round picks to work with as well.

thunderkyss
09-10-2008, 01:58 PM

Hands down. I mean I love DeMeco, but Joseph Addai should have been the MVP for the Superbowl(I don't know that he wasn't, but I think he definitely should've been.

TexansLucky13
09-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Of course, we would have had two extra 2nd round picks to work with as well.

Thats true. So what would you have changed in the '07 or '08 draft if we had those picks, or who would you have picked up?

beerlover
09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
So that would have been:

#1 - Cutler
#2 - Bush
#3 - Vince
#4 - Mario

given your scenero the Texans liked Ted Ginn who went #9 to Miami (I still would have taken Amobi) since the trade to Atlanta is never done to get Schaub (Texans get Cutler) we also get back two 2nd rd picks (traded to Atlanta). Now the Texans could address either Defense or Offense but why not take the LT here to protect Cutler, Tony Ugoh (#42 Colts). this past draft (08) if the Texans had their LT & opted to trade down, more than once to add even more picks to address needs/holes & got a RB to complete the offense, Matt Forte (44). with multiple picks plus the #48th back Calais Campbell DE (#50) or Quentin Groves DE (#52). Then besides Molden/Slayton add one or two more prospects.

but thats all hindsight, right now I'm very happy the way things worked out :)

TexansSeminole
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I'd probably go
Antonio Cromartie - Probably one of the top 5 if not top 3 corners in the league.
Jay Cutler - Great young QB.
DeMeco Ryans - 295 tackles 5.5 sacks 2 INTs in his career.
Ernie Sims - 264 tackles 1.5 sacks 1 INT in his career.
Haloti Ngata - turning into a great NT.
Santonio Holmes - huge deep threat.

Notice there is 4 guys from the 2006 first round that were on the 2005 Florida State defense, except Cromartie didn't play that year (he had a knee injury, of course). Kamerion Wimbley (16 sacks @ OLB in 3-4) and Brodrick Bunkley (41 tackles 3 sacks @ DT) have both been solid for the Browns and Eagles.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-10-2008, 02:52 PM
We're about to face the second best player drafted in the 1st round of the 2006 draft...

Haloti Ngata

Errant Hothy
09-10-2008, 02:53 PM
I'd probably go
Antonio Cromartie - Probably one of the top 5 if not top 3 corners in the league.
Jay Cutler - Great young QB.
DeMeco Ryans - 295 tackles 5.5 sacks 2 INTs in his career.
Ernie Sims - 264 tackles 1.5 sacks 1 INT in his career.
Haloti Ngata - turning into a great NT.
Santonio Holmes - huge deep threat.

Notice there is 4 guys from the 2006 first round that were on the 2005 Florida State defense, except Cromartie didn't play that year (he had a knee injury, of course). Kamerion Wimbley (16 sacks @ OLB in 3-4) and Brodrick Bunkley (41 tackles 3 sacks @ DT) have both been solid for the Browns and Eagles.

I'm afraid that Ngata is going to abuse Meyers much like Hampton did.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Ngata is going to abuse whoever we line up in front of him, especially when the Ravens line him up at linebacker giving him a 5 yard running start.

Daravenator
09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
I was going to stay out of this thread until I read the last few posts.

Personally, I'd pick Addai, as he made an immediate impact to his team. But Ngata is turning into a real beast. When he was drafted, one of his "negatives" was that he took some plays off a game at Oregon. Last week, one of the announcers of the Ravens-Cincinnati game said "that Ngata, he never takes a play off."

kiwitexansfan
09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Everyone stole my thunder with the Harry Ngata praise.

I love me some defensive lineman, and a big nasty nose tackle is the stuff defenses are built on.

b0ng
09-10-2008, 07:03 PM
While I like defense (And I personally don't see how you guys think AJ hawk is all that in the NFL, he does have a cool name though) I think the 2nd best player in the first round of the 2006 draft has to be Cutler. Dude is climbing the mountain of STUDLINESS this season while the other 2 quarterbacks are floundering.

Also, I like Cromartie, Ngata, and Ernie Sims (big scary crazy linebackers are awesome), but I just have to point back to Cutler. He's making the Bronco's good again.

Honoring Earl 34
09-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Anyone remember or was in the 2006 MB mock draft ? We did it before the combine .

b0ng
09-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Anyone remember or was in the 2006 MB mock draft ? We did it before the combine .

Texans Talk Mock Draft Thread Recap (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18669&highlight=Mock+Draft)

ATXtexanfan
09-10-2008, 08:05 PM

agreed

Honoring Earl 34
09-10-2008, 08:08 PM
This should be fun ... thanks Bong .