PDA

View Full Version : Where was Andre Davis?

El Tejano
09-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Um....last I remember about Andre Davis was not only did he have 3 kick off returns for TDs last year, but that he also was a pretty darn good receiver for us. He was playing well in the absence of Johnson and when Johnson was there he was great as the 3rd receiver.

I saw Anderson as the 3rd receiver. Now, Anderson had a good camp but so did Andre Davis. IMO if Andre Davis was in there we probably make more of those 3rd downs because teams have to respect his ability to stretch the field. Any DB or LB probably saw Anderson and said ' Oh it's on now'.

I think Kubes tried to fix something that wasn't broke. When we have Johnson, Davis and Walter as our wideouts we have a pretty good group. Matter of fact it showed when we were playing in the preseason. What was Kubes thinking? I hope he puts Davis back in next week.

Cjeremy635
09-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I thought about that too when he said Anderson was the #3 now. I like Anderson, don't get me wrong, but Davis proved himself to me last year and he played well in the games that we needed him to. Also, I was thinking about this last night, what's the deal with Jones? Jacoby is really only on the roster as a punt returner at this point and I'm not so sure he can relive his highlight real of his rookie season in that job. Part of me thinks he has "some" potential, the other part thinks he is a waste of a roster spot for someone with more potential (whether on defense or offense). I'd hate to cut him and see him perform well on another team, but a what point do you expect him to perform as a reciever? I don't trust his hands as a clutch reciever and squirm when I see him run with the ball, due to his fumbling problems.

gtexan02
09-09-2008, 10:46 AM
The other weird thing about Anderson was that he was getting zero separation on Sunday. Add to that problem that Schaub was basically locked onto him on 3rd down, and you have the makings of a nasty day

texanfan2002114
09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I thought about that too when he said Anderson was the #3 now. I like Anderson, don't get me wrong, but Davis proved himself to me last year and he played well in the games that we needed him to. Also, I was thinking about this last night, what's the deal with Jones? Jacoby is really only on the roster as a punt returner at this point and I'm not so sure he can relive his highlight real of his rookie season in that job. Part of me thinks he has "some" potential, the other part thinks he is a waste of a roster spot for someone with more potential (whether on defense or offense). I'd hate to cut him and see him perform well on another team, but a what point do you expect him to perform as a reciever? I don't trust his hands as a clutch reciever and squirm when I see him run with the ball, due to his fumbling problems.

Kubes did not say Anderson was the third wr. What he said was that Anderson is the z receiver or the slot receiver when the Texans go 3 wide, while Andre Davis is the back up to Andre Johnson and Kevin Walter. Davis is not a slot receiver and lines up on the outside.

So if they go 3 wide and Anderson is not out there, Walter moves to the slot and Davis takes Walter's spot on the outside. Other than that Anderson is the starting slot receiver.

Polo
09-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Yesterday on the radio Kubiak basically said that David Anderson and Andre' Davis don't play the same position.

Davis is the second wideout behind both Walter and Johnson...

If you remember, last year when all the recievers were healthy Jacoby got most of the slot action...

The slot is normally better for quick guys or guys with good size... Andre' Davis is more fast than quick and he's not big...

El Tejano
09-09-2008, 12:10 PM
I just think that putting Andre Davis, Johnson, and Walter in there is something that is going to get far better results for us. I don't care if he lines up wide and Walter goes in the slot. To me Walter is great for the slot, people have to account for his hands and ability to make YAC. That opens alot more for Owen Daniels and our wideouts.

Hervoyel
09-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Where was Andre Davis?

Late in the 3rd quarter Kasey Studdard was feeling "peckish" and ate him. We'll be signing a free agent later this week to take his spot on the roster. Studdard has been told to stop eating team mates and been given a feed bag full of Hostess Ding-Dongs to wear when he's not playing to prevent this from happening in the future.

thunderkyss
09-09-2008, 12:36 PM
I just think that putting Andre Davis, Johnson, and Walter in there is something that is going to get far better results for us. I don't care if he lines up wide and Walter goes in the slot. To me Walter is great for the slot, people have to account for his hands and ability to make YAC. That opens alot more for Owen Daniels and our wideouts.

I'd agree with you, but it didn't look like our QB had time to make the defense "respect" Andre's speed. And for what it's worth, I don't think the combination of WRs we had on the field would have addressed the problem we had Sunday.

Polo
09-09-2008, 12:40 PM

I won't dispute that, though I personally like Anderson on the field more.

ObsiWan
09-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Where was Andre Davis?

Late in the 3rd quarter Kasey Studdard was feeling "peckish" and ate him. We'll be signing a free agent later this week to take his spot on the roster. Studdard has been told to stop eating team mates and been given a feed bag full of Hostess Ding-Dongs to wear when he's not playing to prevent this from happening in the future.

dammit!
I thought we solved that issue by cutting Ron Dayne!