PDA

View Full Version : What happens to sundays game if Ike comes??

Pages : [1] 2

texanfan2002114
09-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I was just talking to Texans Pride and we were thinking what would happen to the Texans game this sunday if Hurricane Ike slams into Galveston/Houston.

Would the NFL screw us and move the game to Baltimore like what happened to the Saints and the NFL moved the game to NY and took a home game away from them?

Would they just move the game to a Monday or Thursday night game?

jaayteetx
09-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Well, I'm guessing if the Hurricane actually hits the area, a Monday game would be out of the question. Thursday, probably not an option either because of the logistics. I'm pretty sure Bob McNair woudln't allow the NFL to screw us over by putting the game in Baltimore, at least I hope not. So, all that said, I'm guessing they would play at a neutral site on Sunday.

b0ng
09-08-2008, 11:29 AM
I was just talking to Texans Pride and we were thinking what would happen to the Texans game this sunday if Hurricane Ike slams into Galveston/Houston.

Would the NFL screw us and move the game to Baltimore like what happened to the Saints and the NFL moved the game to NY and took a home game away from them?

Would they just move the game to a Monday or Thursday night game?

When fires were burning in San Diego, we ended up playing there anyway, so I'm guessing that unless Ike is completely devastating Houston, we'll probably be playing here.

Thorn
09-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Ike is not coming here, New Orleans is fixing to take another hit.

MojoMan
09-08-2008, 11:31 AM
The Saints are on the Road against the Redskins. Maybe we could play there.

The Cowboys are playing at home Monday night against the Eagles, so I guess playing at Texas Stadium is off the table.

jaayteetx
09-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Just saw this on Yahoo, and it made me laugh.
Ike, take a hike!

nunusguy
09-08-2008, 11:52 AM
I dunno, but I think they ususally make a call on this sort of thing atleast
several days before game-day so people can rearrange their plans. Logistically it can be a big deal, especially if they decide to have an evacuation of parts of the metro area which would have to begin on or before Friday. Aren't we talking Gulf Coast landfall sometime Saturday AM ?

ATX
09-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Time to test out that roof.

bpe3
09-08-2008, 12:41 PM
If Ike comes, we'll just drink hurricanes in the Yellow Lot instead of beer.
Man up, Sissies.

bpe3

GlassHalfFull
09-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Man up, Sissies.

bpe3

LOL, Great 100th post. Although, I don't think I will survive shotgunning multiple hurricanes.

Hardcore Texan
09-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Man up, Sissies.

bpe3

Sweet, I will be looking for you on Sunday then :cool::texflag:

Thorn
09-08-2008, 12:48 PM
It's not coming here, Mexico is fixing to take another hit.

GlassHalfFull
09-08-2008, 12:49 PM

:popcorn:

Brandon420tx
09-08-2008, 12:54 PM

:popcorn:

I hope Ike doesn't compromise

Thorn
09-08-2008, 12:57 PM

Don't worry, Ike's not coming here. Mars is fixing to take another hit.

Sal Rosenberg
09-08-2008, 01:05 PM
San Antonio?

Insideop
09-08-2008, 01:09 PM

:spit: Whatever it is you're drinking Thorn, just keep drinking it. You won't feel a thing when Ike hits!

Off topic; Were you a big fan of "Combat" when you were a kid?

HOU-TEX
09-08-2008, 01:11 PM

LMAO! You sure?

treygar
09-08-2008, 01:13 PM
San Antonio?

that'll never happen, for some unknown reason this is a Cowboys/Saints town.

Thorn
09-08-2008, 01:30 PM
:spit: Whatever it is you're drinking Thorn, just keep drinking it. You won't feel a thing when Ike hits!

Off topic; Were you a big fan of "Combat" when you were a kid?

I'm at work, must be the Diet Coke or I'm even more messed up than usual.

And yeah, I'm a big fan of "Combat".

drewmar74
09-08-2008, 01:55 PM

Ummmm..... I'm all for Mexico.

I don't think my friends and family in SE Louisiana can take another shot right now. I know that SW Louisiana has STILL not fully recovered from Rita.

Can we just send this thing to Venezuela?

How about this? We load up David Carr and have him go play some football down in Venezuela. The huge level of suckitude coming from down there will assuredly pull Ike into its vortex.

Texan_Bill
09-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Ike ain't coming here. Chuck Norris hates wife beaters so we're sending Chuck in.... :pirate:

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Just as the preliminary model tracks were pretty accurate for the New Orleans target for Gustav, the preliminary models for Ike are targeting Texas (in the Galveston area) as the most like likely target.

We could say that Ike's wrath has already hit Houston............yesterday.:shades:

http://weather.myfoxtampabay.com/maps/WTVT/custom/tropical/trackmap3.jpg

drewmar74
09-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Ummmm..... I'm all for Mexico.

I don't think my friends and family in SE Louisiana can take another shot right now. I know that SW Louisiana has STILL not fully recovered from Rita.

Can we just send this thing to Venezuela?

How about this? We load up David Carr and have him go play some football down in Venezuela. The huge level of suckitude coming from down there will assuredly pull Ike into its vortex.

Substitute our defense for David Carr. Then Ike will move very, very quickly to the SE.

The Dream
09-08-2008, 02:49 PM
What happens to sundays game if Ike comes??

it will blow right through ravens offensive line ulike the texans defense........

Overalls
09-08-2008, 03:59 PM
I work for the government and am considered to be essential in times of emergency. If Ike comes close to us I will be playing in it instead of where ever the game is played. When Rita hit I was up for 36 hours, with a broke hand, driving around in circles fixing problems. I hate to see what I would end up doing if Ike blows up and comes at us. So unless it makes a turn, there will be no football for me.

Hervoyel
09-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Entirely circumstantial post with just about nothing behind it....

I got this creepy feeling looking at Ike on a 5 day forecast and it looked so familiar to me that I went digging over on Wikipedia for the 1900 Galveston Hurricane.

They both ran right up Cuba and even do that little hitch to the north. Means nothing but it just caught my attention.

Double Barrel
09-08-2008, 04:34 PM
www.stormpulse.com is a great tracking site. Just thought I'd mention it. :howdy:

forcefollow
09-08-2008, 05:31 PM
My guess is the game will be moved or postponed where the texans o line will get blown off the line of scrimmage as if we were at home and the d line will get nutralized. Some things are always constant. The drop in the barametric pressure might relieve the pressure on Ahman Greens knee and he might make a half a series before going down with an eye lid strain.

drewmar74
09-08-2008, 06:17 PM
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/wolfy/

Here's another site that has so much information that it will make your eyes pop out.

3 ways to make Ike go away

1) Let Alex Gibbs cuss at it until it turns tail and runs

2) Put Mario in a 3 point stance facing it. It'll try to find Weaver's side of the line and go away.

3) Start playing all of the 2005 season on the jumbotron at Reliant. It'll be appalled and go away.

WWJD
09-08-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm at work, must be the Diet Coke or I'm even more messed up than usual.

And yeah, I'm a big fan of "Combat".

Isn't the guy in your avatar the actor that got killed by the helicopter blade while filming "Twilight Zone".....forgot his name now but his face is bringing back that memory.

Thorn
09-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Isn't the guy in your avatar the actor that got killed by the helicopter blade while filming "Twilight Zone".....forgot his name now but his face is bringing back that memory.

Vic Morrow, and yeah, that was a horrible way to go. I can't watch that movie because of it.

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Vic Morrow, and yeah, that was a horrible way to go. I can't watch that movie because of it.

That accident also still haunts me. The cameras kept rolling as he and one the young kids were decapitated by the blades, and the other youngster was crushed by one of the copter's runners.

WWJD
09-08-2008, 07:37 PM

Yea thanks for putting his name to his face...I remember seeing that movie when it came out.

If I remember right he was a fairly successful actor...

Brando
09-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Yea thanks for putting his name to his face...I remember seeing that movie when it came out.

If I remember right he was a fairly successful actor...

Vic Morrow Tribute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97t4SE0EQo4)

texanmojo
09-08-2008, 08:13 PM
just bring extra weights for the canopy. You will be fine.

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2008, 09:24 PM
It will be interesting how Reliant's roof fares. I know, we've been told Reliant was built to take hurricane winds, but I wonder about that, especially the roof..............especially because we were told a lot of other things.:shades:

TEXANS84
09-09-2008, 03:24 PM
3:12 [Comment From guest]
will the texans game be cancelled
3:12 Eric Berger: If Houston is forecast to get hit, I would definitely expect this.

Per Chron.com chat/weather.

Speedy
09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Latest forecast has Ike heading into the Port O'Connor to Corpus area very late Friday night to very early Saturday morning, and by game time Sunday it's expected to be nearing the Oklahoma border to the northwest of DFW.

I don't think there will be a postponement on that track and time table, and if it is still a little too close for comfort for the powers that be who'll decide the fate of the game, I could see an even later start, 7 pm Sunday, or even pushing it to Monday, which has been done before.

spurstexanstros
09-09-2008, 11:09 PM
It looks like its gonna hit corpus and head this way on sat. it could be a 3or 4 when it hitd corpus and 11 or two when it hits SA.

Koolaid Time
09-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Entirely circumstantial post with just about nothing behind it....

I got this creepy feeling looking at Ike on a 5 day forecast and it looked so familiar to me that I went digging over on Wikipedia for the 1900 Galveston Hurricane.

They both ran right up Cuba and even do that little hitch to the north. Means nothing but it just caught my attention.

If you look at the historical tracks of September hurricanes on Weather Underground, you will see its fairly common.

The really bad ones are like Carla and Celia that hit the coast perpendicular.

Koolaid Time
09-09-2008, 11:25 PM
It will be interesting how Reliant's roof fares. I know, we've been told Reliant was built to take hurricane winds, but I wonder about that, especially the roof..............especially because we were told a lot of other things.:shades:

I'd say the fabric portion of the roof would be gone, if exposed to sustained 90 mph+ winds for an hour or so. It should take gusts, however. The main stadium structure should be OK--maybe some glass breakage

The problem around Reliant is Brays Bayou, just 1/2 mile to the north. Any significant amount of rainfall in the area and Brays Bayou WILL flood.

Flooding may take out undergound electical and communications lines that supply Reliant. Winds would damage above ground transmission lines.

No juice, no phones, no coms..... no game.

Texans_Chick
09-10-2008, 12:37 AM
I'd say the fabric portion of the roof would be gone, if exposed to sustained 90 mph+ winds for an hour or so. It should take gusts, however. The main stadium structure should be OK--maybe some glass breakage

The problem around Reliant is Brays Bayou, just 1/2 mile to the north. Any significant amount of rainfall in the area and Brays Bayou WILL flood.

Flooding may take out undergound electical and communications lines that supply Reliant. Winds would damage above ground transmission lines.

No juice, no phones, no coms..... no game.

Also to consider is that a lot of the structural discussions of how much wind parts of building can sustain doesn't account for debris. So for example, a lot of skyscraper windows are supposed to withstand very high winds, but if there is debris in that wind, as there often is (such as stuff coming off of rooftop garages), that debris can damage structures at lower wind speeds than the manufacture says that they withstand.

Koolaid Time
09-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Also to consider is that a lot of the structural discussions of how much wind parts of building can sustain doesn't account for debris. So for example, a lot of skyscraper windows are supposed to withstand very high winds, but if there is debris in that wind, as there often is (such as stuff coming off of rooftop garages), that debris can damage structures at lower wind speeds than the manufacture says that they withstand.

Were you here during Alicia in 83? Pea-gravel off the roofs downtown took out most of the glass in the skyscrapers along Louisiana Street.

It was "raining" broken glass for several days afterward.

Texans_Chick
09-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Were you here during Alicia in 83? Pea-gravel off the roofs downtown took out most of the glass in the skyscrapers along Louisiana Street.

It was "raining" broken glass for several days afterward.

Yup.

Also, I have a friend who manages one of the skyscrapers and he was telling me about the difference between what the manufacture says will withstand winds and what really will hold with debris in it.

BigWig
09-10-2008, 07:38 AM
I think Htown will get spared at this point , here in the ATX I am starting to wonder though.

nunusguy
09-10-2008, 08:04 AM
I think Htown will get spared at this point
Way too soon to know about that.
We haven't heard a peep out of the Texans that I know of ? I'm surprised they haven't even announced a back-up scenario by now ? Or maybe I missed it ?
Yea, I was also here for Alicia and that was of course 25 years ago. You can only be lucky so long.
I got a 9AM flight Friday out of IAH, but its gonna go right down to the wire for me I'd say ? Back in '83 that crazy Lorenzo was still launcing Continental flights out of IAH after Alicia has made Galveston landfall.

gtexan02
09-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Any chance of the game being moved to Baltimore? I'll go up there and represent for the Texans if its moved. When will we know?

nero THE zero
09-10-2008, 08:10 AM
If the game is moved will we get refunds on our tickets?

gwallaia
09-10-2008, 08:15 AM
UH officials are talking about playing the UH-Air Force game, scheduled for this Saturday, at Texas Stadium.

texanmojo
09-10-2008, 08:20 AM
I'd welcome it if the roof got ripped off and if some of the external windows blew away...more air would circulate in the stadium and it would be like the open air stadium that should have been built in the first place. :)

hobie
09-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I'd welcome it if the roof got ripped off and if some of the external windows blew away...more air would circulate in the stadium and it would be like the open air stadium that should have been built in the first place. :)

I am in agreement of the roof.......think it's been opened 5-6 times in the existance of the place...why have it then...but still, if it meant having the storm come thru Houston, I would rather keep it closed...Nothing good would come of Ike visiting us...

Double Barrel
09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Latest forecast has Ike heading into the Port O'Connor to Corpus area very late Friday night to very early Saturday morning, and by game time Sunday it's expected to be nearing the Oklahoma border to the northwest of DFW.

I don't think there will be a postponement on that track and time table, and if it is still a little too close for comfort for the powers that be who'll decide the fate of the game, I could see an even later start, 7 pm Sunday, or even pushing it to Monday, which has been done before.

Two Monday Night Football games this year!

drewmar74
09-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Two Monday Night Football games this year!

I saw that mentioned, too. That would be awesome.

Even if we took a shelacking and laid a Najeh on the field, it would still be preferable to watching the 'pokes.

Overalls
09-10-2008, 11:27 AM
The word here in Baytown is that our Emergency Opperations Center will be staffed starting tomorrow morning. Looks like the higher ups are atleast starting to get concerned about Ikes posible impact on the area.

WWJD
09-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I think the Texans will be playing Sunday at Reliant..positive thinking!

Texans_Chick
09-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Here's my write up of Ike and the Texans game:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/10/texans-ravens-game-at-houston-in-question-due-to-hurricane-ike/

I talked with the Texans. They have plans but aren't likely to make any decisions for a while. They mentioned how they waited until the Friday before the Chargers game to make decisions about the fires they had last year.

rush2112mn
09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
game could be moved back a day to monday night......to be on the safe side........

Hardcore Texan
09-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Here's my write up of Ike and the Texans game:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/10/texans-ravens-game-at-houston-in-question-due-to-hurricane-ike/

I talked with the Texans. They have plans but aren't likely to make any decisions for a while. They mentioned how they waited until the Friday before the Chargers game to make decisions about the fires they had last year.

I wish those links in Fanhouse would open up a seperate window when you click on them, it annoys me for some reason to see what is linked and have to hit the back button every time.

*edit - thanks for the good info, especially the SciGuy's blog @ http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/09/how_much_should.html

hollywood_texan
09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I am living LAX at 9am CST on Friday. It's probably unlikely my flight will be cancelled to get refunds and I don't need more credit balances that'll probably will expire.

If I don't go, and the game goes on, I have credit on SWA that I don't care for and I lose the football tickets. I also have tickets to both Astro games Friday and Saturday night, and lose those too.

My return flight is Monday morning, which I am thinking would easily be a safe return flight.

My flight has to be cancelled on Friday for me to bail out on this unless they cancel the game before I leave, which is probably unlikely.

Hardcore Texan
09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I am living LAX at 9am CST on Friday. It's probably unlikely my flight will be cancelled to get refunds and I don't need more credit balances that'll probably will expire.

If I don't go, and the game goes on, I have credit on SWA that I don't care for and I lose the football tickets. I also have tickets to both Astro games Friday and Saturday night, and lose those too.

My return flight is Monday morning, which I am thinking would easily be a safe to return.

My flight has to be cancelled for me to bail out on this unless they cancel the game before I leave, which is probably unlikely.

Now that's dedication bro......:texflag:

eriadoc
09-10-2008, 01:30 PM
I wish those links in Fanhouse would open up a seperate window when you click on them, it annoys me for some reason to see what is linked and have to hit the back button every time.

Mozilla for the win!

ChampionTexan
09-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Mozilla for the win!

Actually, I'm using Microsoft IE, and I'm getting a separate window also.

IE for the tie!

eriadoc
09-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Mozilla just opens them in another tab. Besides, I could go into the top ten reasons why Mozilla beats IE hands-down, but that's a different thread.

As for Ike, it looks like it's going to hit close enough to put Cat 1 winds in metro Houston, at least. If the track continues inching east, it could hit more directly.

Speedy
09-10-2008, 02:06 PM
I am in agreement of the roof.......think it's been opened 5-6 times in the existance of the place...why have it then...

In 62 Texans home games, including pre-season, 29¼ games with an open roof, 32¾ games with a closed roof.

Since they put in the "Pittsburgh" policy though, 9 open roof games, 20 closed roof.

GlassHalfFull
09-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Mozilla just opens them in another tab. Besides, I could go into the top ten reasons why Mozilla beats IE hands-down, but that's a different thread.

As for Ike, it looks like it's going to hit close enough to put Cat 1 winds in metro Houston, at least. If the track continues inching east, it could hit more directly.

I am a newly converted Mozilla firefox user and like a newly converted Christian, I am fervent in my praise. Hallelujah!!! Why did I use IE for so long?

Anyway, HISD just canceled all sporting events for the weekend and field trips. Bellaire HS was supposed to go play Southlake Carroll, north of Dallas on Friday night. The game is now canceled and the Bellaire program is seriously upset. The team was due to take a bus Thursday up to Dallas. I can't decide how I feel. Bellaire was going to be brutalized by Southlake Carroll, but I feel sorry for the kids who were looking forward to the trip. The back story is interesting, Southlake is having trouble finding teams willing to play them. They were paying for the buses, hotel, and all travel expenses for the team, in addition to giving Bellaire part of the gate.

Cjeremy635
09-10-2008, 02:21 PM
I am a newly converted Mozilla firefox user and like a newly converted Christian, I am fervent in my praise. Hallelujah!!! Why did I use IE for so long?

Anyway, HISD just canceled all sporting events for the weekend and field trips. Bellaire HS was supposed to go play Southlake Carroll, north of Dallas on Friday night. The game is now canceled and the Bellaire program is seriously upset. The team was due to take a bus Thursday up to Dallas. I can't decide how I feel. Bellaire was going to be brutalized by Southlake Carroll, but I feel sorry for the kids who were looking forward to the trip. The back story is interesting, Southlake is having trouble finding teams willing to play them. They were paying for the buses, hotel, and all travel expenses for the team, in addition to giving Bellaire part of the gate.

I don't follow high school ball, so why is this the case? Are they just that great that people don't want to take them on?

GlassHalfFull
09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't follow high school ball, so why is this the case? Are they just that great that people don't want to take them on?

They have been the Texas 5A state champs something like 4 out of the last 6 years. So yeah, most programs don't want to subject themselves to that.

Cjeremy635
09-10-2008, 02:31 PM
They have been the Texas 5A state champs something like 4 out of the last 6 years. So yeah, most programs don't want to subject themselves to that.

Well that's pretty crappy. What happened to people being up for the challenge? Isn't that what strives others to become better? I mean I could probably lay the smack down on The Sacred Heart School for the Mentally Disabled, but what kind of challenge would that be? Seriously?

hobie
09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Didn't they lose in the semis last year or the finals to Katy?? Katy would play them anyday, maybe not this season, but they have been just as dominate the last 7-8 years as well....

gwallaia
09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
It looks like the UH-Air Force game has been moved to Texas Stadium for Saturday. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SheTexan
09-10-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm confused. I didn't think high schools had a choice who they played. So why would Carrol have to worry about finding teams to play them? Also! They are PAYING for them to travel to Dallas? Is that acceptable these days? Geeeezzzzz, I must really be behind times!!:mcnugget:

GlassHalfFull
09-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Well that's pretty crappy. What happened to people being up for the challenge? Isn't that what strives others to become better? I mean I could probably lay the smack down on The Sacred Heart School for the Mentally Disabled, but what kind of challenge would that be? Seriously?

Didn't they lose in the semis last year or the finals to Katy?? Katy would play them anyday, maybe not this season, but they have been just as dominate the last 7-8 years as well....

I just know the story from the Bellaire side, Southlake was apparently looking around pretty hard for teams to fill in their schedule. And the deal they were offering us was pretty sweet. They asked Lamar and Westside (from our district) and were turned down.

And cynically, Texas HS football is big business and can be pretty damn petty at the coach's level. From what I hear from our coaches, setting the schedule each year is a nightmare of petty grievances and backstabbing.

HOU-TEX
09-10-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm confused. I didn't think high schools had a choice who they played. So why would Carrol have to worry about finding teams to play them? Also! They are PAYING for them to travel to Dallas? Is that acceptable these days? Geeeezzzzz, I must really be behind times!!:mcnugget:

Glass is probably speaking of non-district games. The teams in their district have no choice but to play unless they forfeit.

Heck, even though we'd probably get creamed, I wouldn't mind Pearland playing one of the top tier 5a Schools. Playing pre-district games against teams like Kempner, Madison, etc doesn't really offer up much of a challenge.

Twitch-Houston
09-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm in Corpus trying to decide whether to ride it out or evac to Houston. Either way I am going to game on Sunday if it happens I'm just trying to find anything at all on possibilities for Sunday.

Texan_Bill
09-10-2008, 02:44 PM

They do have a choice who they play except for district games. We used to go out to West Orange Stark H.S.

HOU-TEX
09-10-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm in Corpus trying to decide whether to ride it out or evac to Houston. Either way I am going to game on Sunday if it happens I'm just trying to find anything at all on possibilities for Sunday.

From the present looks of things, Houston might not be the best evacuation route to take.

Showtime100
09-10-2008, 02:47 PM
It looks like the UH-Air Force game has been moved to Texas Stadium for Saturday. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You sure?? I thought I heard literally 5 minutes ago there were no plans yet to move, but Texas/Arkansas might postpone until the 28th when both are scheduled off.

Twitch-Houston
09-10-2008, 02:57 PM
From the present looks of things, Houston might not be the best evacuation route to take.

Yea San Antonio is pretty booked up. Course if they move the game to the Alamo Dome, I'm there. Not that I've heard anything, but it's closer than Houston by about 30 minutes....ha ha

Hardcore Texan
09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
In 62 Texans home games, including pre-season, 29¼ games with an open roof, 32¾ games with a closed roof.

Since they put in the "Pittsburgh" policy though, 9 open roof games, 20 closed roof.

I don't understand why people get so upset about the roof being closed, who wants to sweat their butts off for 3 hours. I love the roof being closed during the hot months, I am glad they do it. I think it should be closed unless it is below 70. I would not have a bottom limit on it though, leave it open below 70 no matter how cold it gets. Just how I see it.

Twitch-Houston
09-10-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't understand why people get so upset about the roof being closed, who wants to sweat their butts off for 3 hours. I love the roof being closed during the hot months, I am glad they do it. I think it should be closed unless it is below 70. I would not have a bottom limit on it though, leave it open below 70 no matter how cold it gets. Just how I see it.

I was just reminiscing about the Denver NFL network game with my buddy just yesterday. That was the perfect football night. It was cool, the roof open and Mario and the rest of the Texans were on fire. So were we fans!...That was the best.

Silver Oak
09-10-2008, 03:34 PM

I'm with you 100%.

Having the roof open with the temp over 85 degrees reminds me of a quote from Hoosiers...

"Look, mister, there's... two kinds of dumb, uh... guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter, the second one you're kinda forced to deal with. "

gwallaia
09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
You sure?? I thought I heard literally 5 minutes ago there were no plans yet to move, but Texas/Arkansas might postpone until the 28th when both are scheduled off.

Confirmed by UH. The game will be in Dallas.

Showtime100
09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Confirmed by UH. The game will be in Dallas.

DAMN! I hit all the sites and there was nothing at the time. Thanks for getting back on that G.

gwallaia
09-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Exact time and stadium still TBD. It might be at SMU on Friday night.

gwallaia
09-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Hold The Phone of the "official" announcement.

hollywood_texan
09-10-2008, 04:43 PM
What about the Astro games?

WWJD
09-10-2008, 04:47 PM
What about the Astro games?

They just said on 610 they might move the game to the afternoon on Friday.

gwallaia
09-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Now it's official. UH loses home game to Ike.

http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/28177654.html

Showtime100
09-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Now it's official. UH loses home game to Ike.

http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/28177654.html

Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. I seems like the prudent thing to do. That would really cause problems for the fans worst-case.

TexansLucky13
09-10-2008, 05:26 PM
I think Toro could fare better in a hurricane than a Raven.

Thorn
09-10-2008, 05:30 PM
I am now officially more worried about Ike than I am about the Ravens.

ObsiWan
09-10-2008, 05:59 PM
you guys are still in Houston?

Tedc
09-10-2008, 06:08 PM
you guys are still in Houston?

IS there any better place to be?

Double Barrel
09-10-2008, 06:11 PM
I bet they move this game to Monday night. If Ike hits land on Saturday, it'll still be blowing on Sunday. I'd still try to attend, but I know the cheese and wine crowd probably couldn't make it.

Texans_Chick
09-10-2008, 06:16 PM
I bet they move this game to Monday night. If Ike hits land on Saturday, it'll still be blowing on Sunday. I'd still try to attend, but I know the cheese and wine crowd probably couldn't make it.

Bob McNair says everything is still TBD (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2008/09/hurricane_ike_and_the_texansra.html). They are waiting and seeing.

TexansLucky13
09-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Bob McNair says everything is still TBD (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2008/09/hurricane_ike_and_the_texansra.html). They are waiting and seeing.

My fiancee hates it when I use the phrase "We'll see". I finally understand why. Go figure that the one game I buy tickets to is being threatened by a hurricane.

Double Barrel
09-10-2008, 06:45 PM

Thanks, TC. I was wondering what the team's official stance would be at this point.

gtexan02
09-10-2008, 06:58 PM
If they move it, I hope its to San Antonio. I'd love it to be in Baltimore so I could attend, but I don't want to lose our hom efield advantage

TexansLucky13
09-10-2008, 07:05 PM
If they move it, I hope its to San Antonio. I'd love it to be in Baltimore so I could attend, but I don't want to lose our hom efield advantage

I doubt they will move it. If anything they will push it back to Monday, IMO.

Texans_Chick
09-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Most of the areas around Texas are a no go--its a big storm with still a lot of potential to go anywhere. Some of the models end up doing un-nice things to San Antonio. My folks live there and there is a bit of panic in the streets.

I'm guessing Monday night, Baltimore or postponed. If some of the worst case scenarios happen, Houston isn't going to be in condition to have a ball game here.

I think McNair is doing right by waiting and seeing.

b0ng
09-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm guessing Monday night, Baltimore or postponed. If some of the worst case scenarios happen, Houston isn't going to be in condition to have a ball game here.

I think McNair is doing right by waiting and seeing.

I don't really think there's a chance of it happening in Baltimore. It really sounds like there's a big "wait-and-see" approach going on.

Stemp
09-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I hope they just push it back to monday night. I won't be able to go to another home game till November and I don't want to go 2 months without being at a game.

ATXtexanfan
09-10-2008, 08:09 PM
i guess i'm screwed being in the austin area. no way to make a monday nighter. i can give my tickets to my family that will be in town. hate for those seats to be empty

eriadoc
09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
My only hope for a Monday game is if the colleges are still closed. I have a test otherwise :-(

nero THE zero
09-10-2008, 08:21 PM
I can't imagine them sending the game to Baltimore and putting us on a 4 game road trip. But, I also couldn't imagine a Monday night game if we get the kind of nastiness they're saying we will.

If they were to postpone it how would that be handled? We have different BYE weeks, so that's not an option. How could they do that?

Dr2bKay
09-10-2008, 08:30 PM
I am really hating the situation. Similiar to Hollywood Texan, I have a flight scheduled to come to the game. My flight comes in on Sat and leaves Monday morning...So a Monday night game is out for me. This really sucks. I am still praying that all turns out well and I won't be out of any money.

Koolaid Time
09-10-2008, 08:35 PM
There may be widspread power outages.. even if Relaint isn't damaged too bad, you can't have a game without electricity, phone lines, water, sewer..

Lets see what happens to the city infrastructure... and it doesn't help that you are 1/2 mile from Brays Bayou, which will flood...

Grams
09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
I am really hating the situation. Similiar to Hollywood Texan, I have a flight scheduled to come to the game. My flight comes in on Sat and leaves Monday morning...So a Monday night game is out for me. This really sucks. I am still praying that all turns out well and I won't be out of any money.

Flights will probably be cancelled on Sat, in and out of Houston. :(

DerekLee1
09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm guessing 90% that we don't play at 3:15 on Sunday, and 50/50 on changing the start time to Sunday night, or moving it to Monday night. No way do we play in B'more, but New Orleans would be a slight possibility if Reliant was unavailable Sunday or Monday.

EDIT:

The NFL says it will monitor Ike’s approach in advance of the Sunday game at Reliant Stadium between the Texans and Ravens. If it is impractical to play Sunday, the most likely choice would be to move the game to Monday night.

"The league is working on a plan,” said Texans owner Bob McNair. “When you tell us where it's going to hit and when it's going to hit, we can tell you the plan. We'll play here unless we're forced to play somewhere else."

TEXANRED
09-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I have heard reports that Ike is to make landfall as a cat 4 Hurricane. Harris county may see winds that of a Cat 1 to Cat 2 hurricane with lots of rain.

There are about to be 5 million people without power.

I seriously doubt we play Sunday.

Of course it would be fitting to have Reliant Stadium the only place in the entire town with power.

texanfan2002114
09-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I just watched Mark Berman on Fox 26 here in Houston and from he has been told from the Texans if the game isn't played Sunday, then it will be palyed Monday night here in Houston.

The plan is to play Sunday afternoon, but Mcnair said he wants whats best for the fans and if they have to move it, it will be moved to Monday not out of town, unless the NFL forces mcnair to move the game.

Koolaid Time
09-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I just watched Mark Berman on Fox 26 here in Houston and from he has been told from the Texans if the game isn't played Sunday, then it will be palyed Monday night here in Houston.

The plan is to play Sunday afternoon, but Mcnair said he wants whats best for the fans and if they have to move it, it will be moved to Monday not out of town.

I hope Bob has a few tractor-trailer sized diesel-electric gnerators on standby.... because if Ike hits as a high 3 or low 4 around Freeport-Matagorda he wont have power from the grid at Reliant for a couple of weeks.

rockabilly
09-10-2008, 10:11 PM
So, if the game is moved to Monday...what happens to TV coverage for those of us in Austin? Do they still get to show the game? Does NFL Sunday Ticket still get the game?

Texans Pride
09-10-2008, 10:29 PM
So, if the game is moved to Monday...what happens to TV coverage for those of us in Austin? Do they still get to show the game? Does NFL Sunday Ticket still get the game?

I'm guessing it would become a double header...Just like this weeks Monday night was. So they would both be televised on ESPN.

DerekLee1
09-10-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm guessing it would become a double header...Just like this weeks Monday night was. So they would both be televised on ESPN.

Thing is, the other MNF game is in dallas. One of us or the other is possibly going to get a 9pm CT start, ending at 12:30am. The other option I could see - similar to what happened with the Saints/Giants after Katrina - is that one game starts at 6p on ESPN and switches to ESPN2 at 7:30 so the already scheduled game begins on time on ESPN, except in regional coverage, where the Ravens/Texans game would remain on ESPN then switch to the Eagles/cowboys game when it's over.

What I DON'T think will EVER happen again is a "home" game in the opponent's stadium, like happened to the Saints in that same MNF game. What a terrible mistake that turned out to be for the NFL. Better to play in a "neutral" stadium.

oh, the IRONY if we were forced to play our game in the Superdome three years after their refugees fled to our city and lived in the Astrodome.

Second Honeymoon
09-10-2008, 11:04 PM
I think the Superdome makes sense if only symbolically. I wonder if they could have the Texans play in Texas Stadium around 3pm on Monday to give them time to finish the game before the 'other' Monday Night Football game between Cowboys and Eagles. Why not play two games in one day?

spurstexanstros
09-10-2008, 11:05 PM
storm is huge 900 miles wide. we are all gonna get some. when a storm comes find shelter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bom_mot/132913291/

This what we in San Antonio call the official shelter of Texas.

Ike will not pass through those walls.

Norg
09-10-2008, 11:36 PM
well umm i say they switch the game to MONDAY NIGHT !!!!!!!

Norg
09-10-2008, 11:40 PM
nevermind i say lets play the game during the hurricane with the ROOF OPEN Hardcore STYLE !!!!! !!!!!!!!!:texflag:

dalemurphy
09-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Well, it's not looking good. The updated forecast has Ike as a Category 4 hurricane on Friday and has it coming on shore around Victoria and moving north from there. I'm officially concerned about this game being played at all anywhere near Houston Sunday or Monday.

Norg
09-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, it's not looking good. The updated forecast has Ike as a Category 4 hurricane on Friday and has it coming on shore around Victoria and moving north from there. I'm officially concerned about this game being played at all anywhere near Houston Sunday or Monday.

the hurricane hits on Friday it will be long gone by the time sunday comes along

AnthonyE
09-10-2008, 11:48 PM
the hurricane hits on Friday it will be long gone by the time sunday comes along

It's supposed to hit friday night/saturday morning, but I see what you mean. But you never know, if it's a cat 4, we'll probably still be seing some strong winds and rain on sunday. We'll see.

dalemurphy
09-10-2008, 11:51 PM

The issue will be the amount of damage done. If large chunks of the city are without power I don't think the game will be played. Also, how/when do the Ravens get here. Issues like that are of concern as well.

Shaft75
09-10-2008, 11:57 PM
I will be so freakin pissed if we lose a home game. Especially after the crap we saw last Sunday.

This team has its mojo when in Reliant.

Thanks everyone for the updates. I hope everyone and their property comes out of this weekend unscathed. Unless, of course if you are upside down on your car and have gap insurance. In that case, go down to Freeport and find a parking lot near the beach! Get something positive out of Ike!

hollywood_texan
09-10-2008, 11:59 PM
The issue will be the amount of damage done. If large chunks of the city are without power I don't think the game will be played. Also, how/when do the Ravens get here. Issues like that are of concern as well.

The Ravens probably have to fly in no later than early Friday afternoon.

Which means we should hear word no later than late Thursday or early Friday. At least that's my thinking.

ReliantTexan
09-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Also, how/when do the Ravens get here. Issues like that are of concern as well.Well, if they're not able to fly in by sunday, I say we win by default. :texflag:

SheTexan
09-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Raven's will fly in on Friday, according to 10pm news.

hobie
09-11-2008, 04:22 AM
I will be so freakin pissed if we lose a home game. Especially after the crap we saw last Sunday.

Losing a home game is not that big of deal is it ? With what Houston and surrounding areas are about to go thru, that's the least of our worries, and honestly, if it was moved, it would not be that big of a deal to me..I am more worried on how our community is going to come thru this...

But I know what you mean by that statement...it would be a good way to put the storm behind us and have something to cheer about..

Malloy
09-11-2008, 04:30 AM
Well, if they're not able to fly in by sunday, I say we win by default. :texflag:

Awesome! The progression, our D gave up ZERO yards!! :)

KEYE SUX
09-11-2008, 04:33 AM
Losing a home game is not that big of deal is it ? With what Houston and surrounding areas are about to go thru, that's the least of our worries, and honestly, if it was moved, it would not be that big of a deal to me..I am more worried on how our community is going to come thru this...

But I know what you mean by that statement...it would be a good way to put the storm behind us and have something to cheer about..

I'm sorry if this comes of as being insensitive, but grow a sack. Most of us have lived on the coast for all our lives. What happened with Katrina sucked but we have faced so many hurricane warnings and threats that it is just a part of end-of-summer. Yes Katrina was bad and Ike looks bad as well but we can't act like the sky is falling on every single storm that may come within 200 miles of us. If you don't like it MOVE AWAY FROM THE COAST

Showtime100
09-11-2008, 05:37 AM
I'm sorry if this comes of as being insensitive, but grow a sack. Most of us have lived on the coast for all our lives. What happened with Katrina sucked but we have faced so many hurricane warnings and threats that it is just a part of end-of-summer. Yes Katrina was bad and Ike looks bad as well but we can't act like the sky is falling on every single storm that may come within 200 miles of us. If you don't like it MOVE AWAY FROM THE COAST

Put on your hardhat buddy. Does the word "INCOMING!!!!!" mean anything to you??

Wow, just...................speechless.

Grams
09-11-2008, 05:51 AM

Right now Ike is projected to come a shore near Freeport and go right through Houston. I do know that Ike could still move further east or west. Right now Ike is a cat 2 and expected to intensify to a Cat 3 or 4 before he hits land. This would put cat 2 or 3 winds right through Houston and the surrounding areas. This would cause a lot of damage and almost everyone in the surrounding areas will be without power for days,weeks.

Maybe for you guys that are not in the Houston and surrounding areas it is not something you are worried about, but for those of us that actually live in this area, forgive us for being more concerned about our families and property than about where and when a football game will be played.

After Saturday there may not even be a Reliant Stadium. At least one that is playable.

GlassHalfFull
09-11-2008, 06:15 AM

Given the fact that your location says you are in Austin, this post is pretty outrageous. Nice way to sit inland and throw stones at people much more in the path of the hurricane.

Also, Hobie said NOTHING to deserve this. Reread Hobie's post and explain to me what he said that sounded like the sky is falling.

Tedc
09-11-2008, 06:27 AM

Interesting that your words come from Austin and not Galveston or Houston. I am not disrespecting your post but do you have any idea what this storm is about to do? A Cat 3 (maybe stronger) is going to cause massive damage in the highly populated areas it is about to strike.

Showtime100
09-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Right now Ike is projected to come a shore near Freeport and go right through Houston. I do know that Ike could still move further east or west. Right now Ike is a cat 2 and expected to intensify to a Cat 3 or 4 before he hits land. This would put cat 2 or 3 winds right through Houston and the surrounding areas. This would cause a lot of damage and almost everyone in the surrounding areas will be without power for days,weeks.

Maybe for you guys that are not in the Houston and surrounding areas it is not something you are worried about, but for those of us that actually live in this area, forgive us for being more concerned about our families and property than about where and when a football game will be played.

After Saturday there may not even be a Reliant Stadium. At least one that is playable.

I know you weren't directing that at me, but I feel the need to say I can't imagine anyone having the opinion KEYE SUX seems to have. That post spoke for no one, well, certainly not me. I'm a Houstonian and always will be and if I lived in Houston right now I would be worried for all I have built to make the life I have for my myself and my family.

I found that post not only insensitive seeing how a major hurricane is bearing down on the people it is directed to, but incredibly lacking in understanding to the pressing circumstances of others. Hence the speechless "wow."

Hobie is right, the game is the toy section of life, but the hurricane taking aim at the coast is real life concern no one can afford to take lightly.

If I laid that on a little thick, sorry, I need coffee.

Malloy
09-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Well, I'm not in Houston (actually I'm on an entirely different continent), but I still hope for this sucker to deminish before hitting y'all. I have too many friends in Houston to ignore this thing, and honestly the game is of less concern to me than the people there. I'm a humanist, I don't buy into the dog-eat-dog mentality that some seem to subscribe to. Some places are more prone to the whims of nature than others, and I've never ever heard people on the coast complain about these realities of life. I am sure that most people on the coast realize the possible threat to themselves and everyone around them and take the neccesary precautions.

Telling you to suck it up would be unfair and classless... and lack the empathy that I myself value highly.

I'm not a religious man either, so I'll simply tell you good luck, and that you all are in my thoughts. If Ike does indeed hit Houston, the foodball game is the least of my worries.

That being said, if y'all beat Ike AND the Ravens, I'm buying the entire city a round! :)

Overalls
09-11-2008, 06:53 AM
This is a huge storm but so far the winds arn't too bad but if it does strengthen to a CAT 4 and stays as big as it is and continues to move at a speed of about 8 miles per hour. Let's say it has tropical storm winds 250 miles out from the eye, 125 from each direction, and it hits near here. How long will it take for the winds to get under tropical storm strength. 250 divided by 8 = 31.25. Now ofcourse, right now we don't know how it will affect our area but imagine if we have strong tropical force winds for even 24 hours. It won't be pretty.

BigWig
09-11-2008, 07:12 AM
One thing to consider also isnt Htwon mainly below sea level?
From my years of growing up in Bellaire it would flood like crazy, bayous would overflow, and we ould just ride the waves behind a big truck.
If this storm is cat 3 or 4 Htown could be in for some serious issues.

gwallaia
09-11-2008, 07:14 AM
They have called for a mandatory evacuation for Jefferson and Orange Counties. But I plan on staying put, the traffic coming out of Houston will be too much for the roads to take.

BigWig
09-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Greg, I know you know whats best but the longer you wiat the worse that road thing will get. Good luck, and keep us posted.

ChampionTexan
09-11-2008, 07:21 AM
From my years of growing up in Bellaire it would flood like crazy, bayous would overflow, and we ould just ride the waves behind a big truck.

No - most of Houston is slightly above sea-level including downtown (50 ft) and Bellaire (43 ft). There may be areas that are close to being at sea-level, but we aren't below it as parts of New Orleans are.

ObsiWan
09-11-2008, 07:42 AM

your instincts were right. it was insensitive.

Heath Shuler
09-11-2008, 07:53 AM
That sure is easy to say sitting in Austin. I am sad that you are a Texans fan and I share anything in common with you.

hobie
09-11-2008, 08:03 AM

I guess this was a reply to my post....I will address it now.
First, you live in Austin, sir, thats not the coast...look at the map.
Second, hurricane warnings and threats, indeed, but this one IS coming this time.
Did I say the sky was falling? Nope, I said losing the game would not be a big deal, other things are of more concern.
If we don't like it, MOVE AWAY...What are you, on drugs? When did I or anyone else even say we can't handle it, woe is us...
You have your opinions, and like most of us on here, none of us really give a rats about you or them...so, enjoy your nice weekend in Austin, me and the others here in Houston will hunker down and ride this out. See, we don't talk shit to others when something bad is about to happen..So I hope you have a good weekend, watch some football and get drunk...I am going to worry about the people here first, football is a game that can be missed..

Insensitive..not at all..IDIOTIC is more the line !!

TheIronDuke
09-11-2008, 08:03 AM

Oh no, that's not insensitive at all. In fact, I thought you were Mother Theresa when I first read this post.

ObsiWan
09-11-2008, 08:05 AM

As others have said, most of Houston proper is above sea level and 50 miles inland. By the time a cat 4 storm crawls over 50 miles of land a considerable amount of its power will be drained. New Orleans was trashed by floodwaters because a fair portion of that city IS below sea level.

Daravenator
09-11-2008, 08:10 AM
I hope the game is played either on-time, or the next day as MNF, in Houston. Losing a home game would suck.

Regardless, I hope all you guys, your families and your property make it through Ike unscathed. We can get some tropical storms and hurricanes in Maryland, including some that produce a lot of flooding if the storm surge comes straight up the Chesapeake (like Isabel in 2003) or that bring torrential rains that fall over the Susquehanna River drainage basin that empties in the Bay (like Agnes in '72). But we rarely get winds over 70 mph. We just got hit by TS Hanna last week and it was a sissy storm. Good thing, as these massive 85'-90' red and white oaks in my yard wouln't take kindly to winds like Ike's!

Batten down the hatches and be safe! Life is more important than football.

Kaiser Toro
09-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I will not be able to make if it is on Monday night, but am prepared to drive to Houston on Sunday no matter the conditions. My concern is the traffic going back to Houston.

All I can do is hope for the best. Y'all be smart, this is not your first time to the rodeo.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 08:16 AM

Says the guy who was 5 y.o. when Alicia rolled through and now lives some 200 miles inland... :rolleyes:

stingray
09-11-2008, 08:17 AM
I will not be able to make if it is on Monday night, but am prepared to drive to Houston on Sunday no matter the conditions. My concern is the traffic going back to Houston.

All I can do is hope for the best. Y'all be smart, this is not your first time to the rodeo.

Same thing here. I'm driving from South texas on Sunday if the game is not postponed. The Storm should pass by then but I hope the Highways are drivable.

Cjeremy635
09-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Did everyone get their supplies? I went yesterday on my lunch break and got stuff for the wife & daughter. I'm going to have to work through this thing (water utilities), so they will be on their own. I'm pretty concerned about that, actually, very concerned. I took out cash for her, bought them a lot of canned food and other items, I bought a 2 burner camp stove and 6 bottles of propane, plenty of water, gast tanks are filled, etc. I still feel like I'm forgetting something though. Anyways, I hope all of you guys/gals are prepared already, it's going to be tough to find those essential items today.

That's pretty much it, hope all of you guys will be safe. I'll keep you all in my prayers and I would appreciate it if you all would say a little prayer for the safety of my wife & daughter. Good luck to you all.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Did everyone get their supplies? I went yesterday on my lunch break and got stuff for the wife & daughter. I'm going to have to work through this thing (water utilities), so they will be on their own. I'm pretty concerned about that, actually, very concerned. I took out cash for her, bought them a lot of canned food and other items, I bought a 2 burner camp stove and 6 bottles of propane, plenty of water, gast tanks are filled, etc. I still feel like I'm forgetting something though. Anyways, I hope all of you guys/gals are prepared already, it's going to be tough to find those essential items today.

That's pretty much it, hope all of you guys will be safe. I'll keep you all in my prayers and I would appreciate it if you all would say a little prayer for the safety of my wife & daughter. Good luck to you all.

I did.... Man was Specs crowded!! :kingkong:

Cjeremy635
09-11-2008, 08:24 AM
I did.... Man was Specs crowded!! :kingkong:

lol....I'd be joining the part if I didn't have to work! On the other hand, I'm gonna like the O.T. :thinking:

hobie
09-11-2008, 08:26 AM

I will say a prayer for them..You say you feel as if you forgot something, well sometimes thinking too much is more of a bad thing if it makes sense..I'm sure you have taken care of all of the needed things, and that they can ride it out ok.. These next few days I am sure this place will be quiet, so I want to wish you all a safe few days and may we all come back here Sunday with no problems...
See ya'll on the other side !!!

GlassHalfFull
09-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Another good thing to have is a phone that plugs into the phone line, not just cordless phones. If the power goes out they still work, if the phone lines are ok. Cell towers get knocked out, we didn't have cell service for a couple of days during Allison.

Texans_Chick
09-11-2008, 09:05 AM
As others have said, most of Houston proper is above sea level and 50 miles inland. By the time a cat 4 storm crawls over 50 miles of land a considerable amount of its power will be drained. New Orleans was trashed by floodwaters because a fair portion of that city IS below sea level.

I live substantially inland. The windspeed calculator is suggesting that we may get +80 mile an hour winds.

The problem with the Bayou City is that a signficant storm surge will prevent the bayous and other bodies of water from draining. Early reports suggest that this storm may move quickly so rain fall totals might not be big. We need to hope that is right.

I don't see how they can have the game on Sunday. If you were the Ravens, would you want to send your team here this weekend?

drewmar74
09-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Another good thing to have is a phone that plugs into the phone line, not just cordless phones. If the power goes out they still work, if the phone lines are ok. Cell towers get knocked out, we didn't have cell service for a couple of days during Allison.

Great point and one often overlooked. We've got a "bear sitting on a log" phone that plugs into the wall. We break him out for special occasions like this.

Also, should cell towers get overloaded and voice calls aren't possible text messaging becomes a viable alternative. They may run slower but you've got a good chance of them getting through.... at least that was relayed to me.

Shaft75
09-11-2008, 09:11 AM
I wonder what Bob's plywood bill would look like for Reliant...

:texflag:

Errant Hothy
09-11-2008, 09:13 AM
I wonder what Bob's plywood bill would look like for Reliant...

:texflag:

No mater what it is, I think he can afford it.

El Tejano
09-11-2008, 09:26 AM
So have there been any announcements about the game?

GlassHalfFull
09-11-2008, 09:30 AM
I just got the following in an email from the Texans

The Houston Texans are currently evaluating the severe weather conditions projected for the Gulf Coast region. The team is in contact with the National Weather Service and the National Football League to determine the status of the Texans vs. Ravens game scheduled for Sunday, Sept. 14.
We will communicate updated game information throughout the day via HoustonTexans.com and regular email alerts.

Malloy
09-11-2008, 09:34 AM
What are the options really? Delay the game until the 'problem' is resolved (possibly monday), more the game to Raven turf, or play the game saturday or monday in Dallas?

JWarren14
09-11-2008, 09:51 AM
What would happen with our tickets if they moved it away, surely we would get a refund or something right? I would pissed to have paid for those preseason games and get screwed out of a regular season game

TexansLucky13
09-11-2008, 09:54 AM
What would happen with our tickets if they moved it away, surely we would get a refund or something right?

Yep, I am curious about the same thing. Also, since I am not a season ticket holder, I am wondering how that works.

SheTexan
09-11-2008, 09:59 AM
What are the options really? Delay the game until the 'problem' is resolved (possibly monday), more the game to Raven turf, or play the game saturday or monday in Dallas?

My guess would be they will play Sunday at a neutral place, not Baltimore or Houston. They will just use someone's elses' stadium.

Malloy
09-11-2008, 10:01 AM
My guess would be they will play Sunday at a neutral place, not Baltimore or Houston. They will just use someone's elses' stadium.

Thats why I'm thinking Dallas on monday, they have their own sunday game there, or are they on the road ?

TexansLucky13
09-11-2008, 10:02 AM

What about those of us with tickets (which is most of us)?

stevn8r
09-11-2008, 10:06 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hairpull ::shocked::cry2:
Doesn't Ike know that this is our home opener?!?!?!? And I have a new horn hat? And I have to drive in from Austin?

SheTexan
09-11-2008, 10:11 AM
What about those of us with tickets (which is most of us)?

Probably SOL!!:) J/K I really have no idea. BUT, the Texans have always been pretty fan friendly, so, I imagine they will think of something/someway to reimburse fans the cost of their ticket. They could take it off the cost of tickets for next year, if you are a season ticket holder, give out vouchers, whatever. Remember, this is out of their hands also. This is the home opener, so their marketing dept has been busy gearing up for this game. I just think they will do everything possible to keep the game at home, IF it is feasable and safe for all concerned.

CLTEXAN_FAN
09-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Thats why I'm thinking Dallas on monday, they have their own sunday game there, or are they on the road ?

What about the Alamo Dome? I wonder if that is an option.

GlassHalfFull
09-11-2008, 10:24 AM
What about the Alamo Dome? I wonder if that is an option.

The Alamo Dome is not setup for HD replay, so does not qualify for an NFL game.

A little birdie told me the option to move would be Atlanta, if it is necessary.

Good news for TD.

Malloy
09-11-2008, 10:27 AM
The Alamo Dome is not setup for HD replay, so does not qualify for an NFL game.

A little birdie told me the option to move would be Atlanta, if it is necessary.

Good news for TD.

In lieu of the hurricane and the possible moving of the game to another stadium, dont you think that the HD thingie could be ignored this time ?

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 10:32 AM
*thinks positive thoughts, thinks positive thoughts, thinks positive thoughts*

The game will be on as scheduled. Ike will make like Rita and turn even further east...

*thinks positive thoughts, thinks positive thoughts, thinks positive thoughts*

Although, I've heard on good authority that Atlanta is a possibility

CLTEXAN_FAN
09-11-2008, 10:39 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5994927.html

According to the chronicle it would most likely be moved to Monday Night.

Texans_Chick
09-11-2008, 10:41 AM

Maybe. If the storm is bad enough, that won't be an option.

PFT says he has heard a rumor of ATL as a neutral site.

texanfan2002114
09-11-2008, 10:44 AM

Thats old news. I said that last night around 9:30pm that Mark Berman was told that the game would be moved to Monday night before moving the game out of town.

euro-Texan
09-11-2008, 11:07 AM
That's what Sirius NFL radio has just reported. They didn't mention when the game would be made up. Has anyone heard anything more on this?

Tedc
09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
That's what Sirius NFL radio has just reported. They didn't mention when the game would be made up. Has anyone heard anything more on this?

I am not sure I believe that they would cancel a game. Altlanta, San Antonio, are possible places.

I would like to see a link.

Wolf
09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
I checked anyway, even though I knew better
but

our bye week is the 8th week
Ravens is 10th

beerlover
09-11-2008, 11:11 AM
don't know about that but I do know the roof is going to be closed :tinfoil:

euro-Texan
I can't post one as it's a radio station, but I will look around

Texan_Bill
Maybe. If the storm is bad enough, that won't be an option.

PFT says he has heard a rumor of ATL as a neutral site.

As I posted above, I've heard from a trusted person that Atlanta is definitely a possibility.

The Dude Abides
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
i've heard rumblings to a monday night move being made official by 4

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 11:17 AM
don't know about that but I do know the roof is going to be closed :tinfoil:

Funny!

http://healthhabits.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/captainobvious.jpg

euro-Texan
09-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey you can change my post to rumor if you want. I'm not making up what I heard.

Double Barrel
09-11-2008, 11:22 AM

And that will be conditional if Reliant is in good condition and has electricity.

Double Barrel
09-11-2008, 11:23 AM
As I posted above, I've heard from a trusted person that Atlanta is definitely a possibility.

Man, that would be a bummer.

If I was a betting man, I'd say Monday night or ATL are the best bets at this point.

euro-Texan
09-11-2008, 11:24 AM
And that will be conditional if Reliant is in good condition and has electricity.

Or if it is being used as an evacuation shelter...

gwallaia
09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
If the game is moved to Atlanta I will be expecting a refund for game tickets and parking pass or a deduct on next year's season tickets.

Shaft75
09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
All of us Texans fans and the Texan organization need to gather close to freeport with fans, blowers, etc. and blow Ike somewhere far far away from here. Just to keep our home opener.

Norg
09-11-2008, 11:50 AM
man i just realized i have class at my job on monday i hope they cancel that so i can go to the game if the put it on monday :texflag:

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 11:52 AM
If the game is moved to Atlanta I will be expecting a refund for game tickets and parking pass or a deduct on next year's season tickets.

They'll just apply the $ to our playoff tickets... :ok:

ATX
Atlanta? Screw that, this isn't about neutrality, this is a home game. Austin, San Antonio, Even Dallas, no scratch Dallas, would be better than Atlanta.

Malloy
All of us Texans fans and the Texan organization need to gather close to freeport with fans, blowers, etc. and blow Ike somewhere far far away from here. Just to keep our home opener.

I spend most of my time windsurfing, so if y'all can set this up on a regular basis it would be greatly appreciated :)

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 11:53 AM

What are you worried about? If the game is moved or postponed at least the SEZ will be as loud as the NEZ Sunday..

:tease:

False Start
09-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Atlanta? Screw that, this isn't about neutrality, this is a home game. Austin, San Antonio, Even Dallas, no scratch Dallas, would be better than Atlanta.

Thats what I was thinking. That would be some bullspit.

TEXANRED
09-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Or if it is being used as an evacuation shelter...
That is what the Astrodome is for.

euro-Texan
09-11-2008, 12:10 PM

Well, If yall get an 8 foot storm surge down there, you'll need more than the dome. I want to point out that an 8' storm surge or hurricane Ike for that matter is nothing more than a "RUMOR" at this point.

Silver Oak
I realize hurricanes are at best difficult to predict, but I really can't believe the NFL and the Texans don't have a set in stone plan in just this type of scenario.

Most multi billion dollar industries have multiple backup plans, but it seems like they were caught with their ass showing on this one.

In the grand scheme of things, I suppose it doesn't matter for all the other stuff the city is about to endure though.

Texan_Bill

That's for LA residesnts. We put our locals in the newer unit.

Carr Bombed
09-11-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm ready for Ike......already got my keg of beer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEOY0f_hNro

hollywood_texan
09-11-2008, 12:23 PM

I don't see how this game is played this weekend in Texas, except maybe El Paso.

I don't like the idea of the game played in Atlanta, but postponing the game isn't really an option.

Stemp
09-11-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't see how this game is played this weekend in Texas, except maybe El Paso.

I don't like the idea of the game played in Atlanta, but postponing the game isn't really an option.

If it's played in Atlanta, its gonna be dead silent in the stadium. Falcon fans don't really care about their own team and they sure won't go to a game between 2 other teams.

Double Barrel
09-11-2008, 12:26 PM

lol:

Man, that's some funny....wait...you were serious?

Hardcore Texan
09-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Has your flight been cancelled?

gwallaia
09-11-2008, 12:31 PM
lol:

Man, that's some funny....wait...you were serious?

Damn Skippy.

Mailman
09-11-2008, 12:32 PM

Why not? They should be able to get this game in on Monday night.

Am I the only one on this board old enough to remember Hurricane Alicia?

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 12:36 PM

<-------------Ummmmmm No!

Tedc
09-11-2008, 12:36 PM

I doubt it. Some of us are so old.......

Mailman
09-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Sci Guy's latest entry at Chron.com makes me think the storm will blow through without the sky falling on the Reliant roof.

I think the game gets played Monday night at Reliant.

Hardcore Texan
09-11-2008, 12:48 PM

No, I was 9 and rode it out in trailer home near the coast, thanks for the memories Mom and Dad....LOL

dickieb
09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Maybe move it up to OU stadium in Norman on Sunday - then I could make the game (wishful thinking). I am stationed up in OKC. I remember the San Diego fires last year and the discussions/concerns with replay/camera concerns, I'm not sure what stadiums would be possibilities except for NFL stadiums?

nunusguy
09-11-2008, 12:57 PM

Depending how bad this storm is, they may have trouble getting a game played at Reliant even Monday and once we're past Monday, I dunno for sure but I doubt there's any way to make up the game ?
Rather than risk this scenario, I'd think they'd announce an alternative game site in another city to be sure its played ?

hollywood_texan
09-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Electricity?

Who will be at the game anyway?

Mailman
The storm isn't strengthening, NFL honchos.

Play the damn game in Houston Monday night.

TexanSam
Maybe they'll just play the game in Baltimore and give us 9 home games next year

Mailman
09-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Electricity?

Who will be at the game anyway?

I lived about five miles from the Dome in '83. We lost power for maybe half a day.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 01:04 PM
I lived about five miles from the Dome in '83. We lost power for maybe half a day.

Over in Westbury (not far from the Dome at all), we were without for closer to a day and a half.

Errant Hothy
09-11-2008, 01:06 PM

Yet.

Factoring in size and pressure in the eye, things are still decidedly undecided.

hollywood_texan
09-11-2008, 01:08 PM

Play the damn game in Houston Monday night.

Broadcasting the game will be challenge considering how the storm could impact the area.

Let's say they decide on Monday Night in Housotn and then they can't pull it off? Maybe issues with electricity, the broadcasting crew isn't there, fans won't be there?

I don't like the idea of losing a home game, but the reality of the situation and the options available seem to indicate the game is played somewhere outside of Texas if they definitely want to play this game this weekend.

If they don't play it this weekend, how do they reschedule?

infantrycak
09-11-2008, 01:12 PM
If they don't play it this weekend, how do they reschedule?

Here is an off the wall suggestion from PFT.com

A reader has offered up an intriguing alternative that could have some merit. Week Two could be declared the Ravens’ and Texans’ bye week, and they could play on November 9 in Houston, when the Ravens are scheduled to have their bye.

The problem is that the Texans currently are slated to host the Bengals that day. But since the Bengals and Texans have a bye set for October 26, the Bengals-Texans game could be moved to the currently-scheduled open date. In turn, the Bengals’ bye would become November 9.

TEXANS84
09-11-2008, 01:23 PM
^ That scenario makes logical sense to me.

hollywood_texan
09-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Thanks.

As long as they don't mess with the Lions game at Reliant 10/19, sounds great to me.

Porky
09-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Sci Guy's latest entry at Chron.com makes me think the storm will blow through without the sky falling on the Reliant roof.

I think the game gets played Monday night at Reliant.

Going to be kind of hard to see in the dark, but it could improve Schaub's accuracy. :spit:

Mailman
09-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Going to be kind of hard to see in the dark, but it could improve Schaub's accuracy. :spit:

The power won't be out on Monday night.

Grams
09-11-2008, 01:49 PM
The power won't be out on Monday night.

Are you guaranteeing that all the power in Houston will be back on by Monday night?

Have you be hitting the beer already?

nunusguy
09-11-2008, 01:55 PM
A reader has offered up an intriguing alternative that could have some merit. Week Two could be declared the Ravens’ and Texans’ bye week, and they could play on November 9 in Houston, when the Ravens are scheduled to have their bye.

The problem is that the Texans currently are slated to host the Bengals that day. But since the Bengals and Texans have a bye set for October 26, the Bengals-Texans game could be moved to the currently-scheduled open date. In turn, the Bengals’ bye would become November 9.
That is an intriguing solution to the problem, however some peoples plans are bound to be screwed-up. Like me & family.
I'm planning on going to that game and NP for me since I live here. But my family members live in California & Missouri and they've already bought plane tickets for the weekend of the the Bengals game on 11-9, i. e. plane fare for the weekend of 11-9 with tickets for a game which is rescheduled to a weekend in Oct. Not good a combination !

Yankee_In_TX
09-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Are you guaranteeing that all the power in Houston will be back on by Monday night?

No, but let's face it - the city (i.e. gov't and big business) get priority fixing. So those close to the city probably will have power back (if lost) before the burbs.

J-Russ
09-11-2008, 01:58 PM

I rather have the Ravens game in Baltimore, and have us switch home games with the Titans. It'll be less complicated then the idea suggested in your quote.

Edit: now that I think about it, it'll mess up the 8 home games 8 road games for the Ravens... I don't know now. Maybe neutral site?

ObsiWan
09-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Nope.

I was living near Bellfort and Telephone Rd. (that's in the Hood :) )
I think our power was back on before dark.

Mailman
09-11-2008, 02:00 PM
No, but let's face it - the city (i.e. gov't and big business) get priority fixing. So those close to the city probably will have power back (if lost) before the burbs.

Bingo.

Come on, people, we've all seen this song and dance before. The storm will move through, residents will break out the chainsaws to cut up the downed tree limbs, the waters will drain, and everything will be back to normal within a day.

This is not worse than Alicia. The center of the city will be fine.

Mailman
09-11-2008, 02:02 PM

Nope, coffee. I don't sit by the TV waiting for the latest EVERYONE PANIC update.

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2008, 02:04 PM

A week 2 bye week would basically negate the advantage of any rest period which it should offer a team during a long season............With how things are going already and our team's track record, by the end of the season we'll be playing "Ten Little Indians."

J-Russ
09-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Just curious, is Dallas being affected by the storm as well? I don't think I saw a article on PFT about them yet.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 02:08 PM
A week 2 bye week would basically negate the advantage of any rest period which it should offer a team during a long season............With how things are going already and our team's track record, by the end of the season we'll be playing "Ten Little Indians."

PFT's solution works, but your post is exactly why I'm not in favor of it!

hollywood_texan
09-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Bingo.

Come on, people, we've all seen this song and dance before. The storm will move through, residents will break out the chainsaws to cut up the downed tree limbs, the waters will drain, and everything will be back to normal within a day.

The problem with your scenario, is that there is a chance the game isn't played. And if it is played, probably at very little capacity. What about the broadcast setup?

And what about the season ticket holders that can't make the game and still charged for the game anyway?

Are the Ravens even in Houston yet?

I suspect they are going to pick the situation that gives the highest degree of the game being played this weekend.

euro-Texan
09-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Just curious, is Dallas being affected by the storm as well? I don't think I saw a article on PFT about them yet.

Who cares about dullass?

Errant Hothy
09-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Who cares about dullass?

Maybe those of us who live in the DFW area.

Mailman
09-11-2008, 02:18 PM
The problem with your scenario, is that there is a chance the game isn't played. And if it is played, probably at very little capacity. What about the broadcast setup?

And what about the season ticket holders that can't make the game and still charged for the game anyway?

Are the Ravens even in Houston yet?

I suspect they are going to pick the situation that gives the highest degree of the game being played.

The Ravens are due to arrive tomorrow, before the storm.

My scenario is the likely scenario. Monday night is a long time away from Friday night/Saturday morning. As of now, the game is still scheduled for 3:15 Sunday.

False Start
09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
PFT's solution works, but your post is exactly why I'm not in favor of it!

Exactly! That's some bull.

I don't think Southern Oklahoma is in any real danger.

Cjeremy635
09-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Bingo.

Well, I broke out the chainsaws and repaired all I could after Rita, but I still didn't have power for 1 1/2 weeks after that storm. I wasn't in the direct path of the storm either, I'm located in northeast Harris County.

Mailman
09-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Well, I broke out the chainsaws and repaired all I could after Rita, but I still didn't have power for 1 1/2 weeks after that storm. I wasn't in the direct path of the storm either, I'm located in northeast Harris County.

Yet another reason why living inside the loop is better. I don't recall ever losing power for more than a few hours.

euro-Texan
09-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Okay, I have seen posts and a report on CBS sportsline.com that their is a chance the game MIGHT be moved to Atlanta. If this in fact is the case (i think we'll know by 4PM) how would someone like me, living in Georgia, aquire tickets. I'll throw on my Ryans jersey and scream my ass of for the team...

Mailman
09-11-2008, 02:32 PM
610 just reported that the Texans have told them that the game is still on for 3:15 Sunday.

hollywood_texan
09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
The Ravens are due to arrive tomorrow, before the storm.

My Friday flight to Hobby from LAX is already cancelled.

It appears all Southwest flight to Hobby are cancelled for Friday and Saturday.

Buffi2
09-11-2008, 02:39 PM
ESPN radio is reporting that the game will be here Mon night if it can't be played Sunday.

I remember Alicia vividly. We just finished the last of the repairs from Rita damage this summer. I guess that is a good thing as we might have to do it again.

On the plus side, I'll be at the game if I have to swim there.

GP
Apparently, there are reports that if Tina will just eat the damn cake...Ike will back off.

:spit:

Carr Bombed
610 just reported that the Texans have told them that the game is still on for 3:15 Sunday.

Hopefully I'll still have power to watch it...

GP
09-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Okay, I have seen posts and a report on CBS sportsline.com that their is a chance the game MIGHT be moved to Atlanta. If this in fact is the case (i think we'll know by 4PM) how would someone like me, living in Georgia, aquire tickets. I'll throw on my Ryans jersey and scream my ass of for the team...

You'd just walk in. How could they even sell tickets to a game that nobody in Atlanta cares about?

What would that ticket price be? About $5?

Oooh! Oooh! They could do the whole Single A Baseball gimmick: Bring an abused pit bull or animal torture device...and get in for FREE!