PDA

View Full Version : What happens to sundays game if Ike comes??

Pages : 1 [2]

Porky
09-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Bingo.

Come on, people, we've all seen this song and dance before. The storm will move through, residents will break out the chainsaws to cut up the downed tree limbs, the waters will drain, and everything will be back to normal within a day.

This is not worse than Alicia. The center of the city will be fine.

I think that is highly irresponsible. Nonetheless, durting Alicia we didn't have powr for darn near a week, among many other issues. This storm also is packing a more spread out punch so inland areas may experience weather at least as bad, and maybe worse than Alicia.

Texans_Chick
09-11-2008, 03:55 PM
ESPN radio is reporting that the game will be here Mon night if it can't be played Sunday.

I remember Alicia vividly. We just finished the last of the repairs from Rita damage this summer. I guess that is a good thing as we might have to do it again.

On the plus side, I'll be at the game if I have to swim there.

Everybody is just regurgitating the report that came out in the paper this morning.

If there is a freaking 16+ storm surge that hits Galveston bay straight on, I just have a hard time seeing how the Texans could have a game even by Monday.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I think that is highly irresponsible. Nonetheless, durting Alicia we didn't have powr for darn near a week, among many other issues. This storm also is packing a more spread out punch so inland areas may experience weather at least as bad, and maybe worse than Alicia.

What part of town were you in?

Mailman
09-11-2008, 03:57 PM

I'm just some guy on an internet message board, not an emergency management official. They're doing their jobs, but it's my opinion that most of you are overreacting. We're discussing the likelihood of the Texans-Ravens game being played, and I think you guys are in media frenzy mode.

houstonhurricane
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Everybody is just regurgitating the report that came out in the paper this morning.

If there is a freaking 16+ storm surge that hits Galveston bay straight on, I just have a hard time seeing how the Texans could have a game even by Monday.

+1. This is a pretty serious storm that very well may get even more dangerous as it approaches. Any thought of playing this game on Sunday in Houston should be scrapped.

Mailman
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM

Galveston is on an island in the Gulf of Mexico. Houston isn't.

spurstexanstros
09-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Okay, I have seen posts and a report on CBS sportsline.com that their is a chance the game MIGHT be moved to Atlanta. If this in fact is the case (i think we'll know by 4PM) how would someone like me, living in Georgia, aquire tickets. I'll throw on my Ryans jersey and scream my ass of for the team...

Oh hell no... if it is held in Atlanta and not here in SA.... I just dont know what id would do.. scream after loosing Texans radio here in SA and an organization that really doesnt care about the largest non-houston market in Texas. I would be really upset. Like a punch in the gut

disaacks3
09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Over in Westbury (not far from the Dome at all), we were without for closer to a day and a half.

I lived about five miles from the Dome in '83. We lost power for maybe half a day.

Has anyone considered just HOW IRONIC it would be if they couldn't get power restored to RELIANT stadium by Monday?

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Galveston is on an island in the Gulf of Mexico. Houston isn't.

:hmmm: that's interesting. Did not know that!!

Anyway, the point is that downtown Houston to downtown Galveston is only about 50 miles. Also the last time I checked, Galveston Bay is connected to the Houston Ship Channel which goes most of that 50 miles to inside the 610 Loop which then is connected to Buffalo Bayou which meets White Oak Bayou near the Main Street Bridge in downtown... Point being, we are essentially on the coast, we are not 200 miles inland like say Austin...

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Has anyone considered just HOW IRONIC it would be if they couldn't get power restored to RELIANT stadium by Monday?

Not really. Not after 'balloongate' from "some" group over in Orange Lot.

Mailman
09-11-2008, 04:11 PM
:hmmm: that's interesting. Did not know that!!

Anyway, the point is that downtown Houston to downtown Galveston is only about 50 miles. Also the last time I checked, Galveston Bay is connected to the Houston Ship Channel which goes most of that 50 miles to inside the 610 Loop which then is connected to Buffalo Bayou which meets White Oak Bayou near the Main Street Bridge in downtown... Point being, we are essentially on the coast, we are not 200 miles inland like say Austin...

When did water start flowing uphill? It's ridiculous to say Houston is essentially on the coast. The risk of flooding is determined more by rainfall than storm surge. As long as Ike doesn't stall like Allison did, they'll get the game in on Monday.

Yankee_In_TX
09-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Apparently, there are reports that if Tina will just eat the damn cake...Ike will back off.

:spit:

There was a joke on 610 this morning about Ike coming this weekend to "beat" Tina. (she's here in concert next month)

houstonhurricane
09-11-2008, 04:16 PM
When did water start flowing uphill? It's ridiculous to say Houston is essentially on the coast. The risk of flooding is determined more by rainfall than storm surge. As long as Ike doesn't stall like Allison did, they'll get the game in on Monday.

Surge will impact the bayous if it is large enough...

texanfan2002114
09-11-2008, 04:17 PM
There was a joke on 610 this morning about Ike coming this weekend to "beat" Tina. (she's here in concert next month)

Andre Ware tried to copy that joke from Chester Pitts. Chester Pitts said it yesterday after practice and told the joke better than Andre did.

ArlingtonTexan
09-11-2008, 04:19 PM
I am glad to see that some people have had a good enough experiences riding out hurricanes and tropical storms that they think everything guaranteed to be pretty much back to normal a day or two later.

Austrian
09-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Surge will impact the bayous if it is large enough...

This storm surge could be close to Katrina's IMHO. If nothing changes this is a VERY dangerous storm because of its huge wind field of max winds. Definitly more dangerous than Gustav. But that'S just my opinion.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I am glad to see that some people have had a good enough experiences riding out hurricanes and tropical storms that they think everything guaranteed to be pretty much back to normal a day or two later.

"Complacency is the mother of all (bleep) ups"

Mailman
09-11-2008, 04:34 PM
This storm surge could be close to Katrina's IMHO. If nothing changes this is a VERY dangerous storm because of its huge wind field of max winds. Definitly more dangerous than Gustav. But that'S just my opinion.

INLAND FLOODING POTENTIAL

I've had a lot of questions today about the potential for inland flooding, especially if the surge pushes water up the bayous rather than allowing them to drain.

Here's the response I received from the Harris County Flood District, which maintains the area's bayous:

If we experience storm surge, the bayous that would first be affected are those adjacent to Galveston Bay: the Galveston Bay watershed, Clear Creek, San Jacinto River and Cedar Bayou. Depending on how great the surge is, other channels that could be affected are: Houston Ship Channel, Armand Bayou, Goose Creek, Vince and Little Vince bayous and lower Buffalo Bayou.

Just so you know, a common myth about storm surge that we hear a lot is that a storm surge will handicap our bayou system's ability to drain. Actually, the majority of the bayous in Harris County will continue to function effectively during a storm surge. Most of our creeks and bayous are upland and drain by gravity.

Because of their natural slope toward Galveston Bay, a storm surge caused by a hurricane will not impede this process, as water will always flow downhill. Of the roughly 2,500 miles of channel in Harris County, only a small portion located near the bay will experience a limited ability to drain during a storm surge.

Furthermore, there is a gap in time from when a surge occurs and when rainfall in our area eventually drains into the bay. The storm surge occurs before and during a hurricane's landfall. By the time our area's rainfall drains through creeks and bayous to the bay, the storm surge will have receded.

Given the expectation that most areas will receive 2 to 4 inches of rainfall, and that isolated totals should only reach 10 inches, I do not anticipate significant inland flooding problems at this time.

The problems should be along the coast, and they're potentially very bad.
http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/09/post_48.html

texanfan2002114
09-11-2008, 04:37 PM
ASTROS SERIES WITH CUBS TO BE POSTPONED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"ST. LOUIS -- The Cubs' weekend games in Houston against the Astros are expected to be postponed, and the Cubs will head back to Chicago after Thursday's game against St. Louis to avoid Hurricane Ike, which is churning in the Gulf of Mexico and heading in the direction of Texas.

The Cubs and Astros are scheduled to open a three-game series Friday at Minute Maid Park. There was talk about having the Cubs and Astros play a day game Friday instead of a night game, but all plans are on hold.

The Cubs expected to make an official announcement prior to Thursday's game against the Cardinals. The Astros will make an announcement soon, an MLB official said."

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080911&content_id=3457639&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Vince and Little Vince bayous

That's funny, but I digress. :backsout:

Malloy
09-11-2008, 04:39 PM

Good point :)

Mailman
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
FUGG THE CUBS.

That is some whoreskit. It's perfectly acceptable for the Astros to play a game outside with lightning cracking all around, but the Cubs are too chicken to get on a plane to Houston.

Texans_Chick
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
No new news yet on game. This comes from their press release that just went out:

"HOUSTON – The Houston Texans will hold practice tonight at the Methodist Training Center. Practice will begin at 8:00 pm and is scheduled to last until 9:15 pm. Head coach Gary Kubiak will be available to media following practice and should be able to address the Hurricane Ike plan at that time."

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
FUGG THE CUBS.

That is some whoreskit. It's perfectly acceptable for the Astros to play a game outside with lightning cracking all around, but the Cubs are too chicken to get on a plane to Houston.

Ha.. I just posted something similar in the baseball forum....

Chainsaw
09-11-2008, 04:46 PM

It's been my experience. As a former south Florida resident, I've been through my share of storms. Down there everybody knew the routine, and everything was pretty much back to normal a day or two later. The Houston experiences have been similar, but with about 1,000% more freaking out, and more flooding.

It doesn't take that long for the power companies to make repairs and restore power downtown(hell, reliant has extra incentive to get it back quick). A tree is not going to fall on Reliant's roof. The levees aren't going to fail. Why can't we play Sunday?

ATX
09-11-2008, 04:46 PM
This sucks.....I just got a ticket to the game from a friend. Hope they end up playing here on Monday night.

False Start
09-11-2008, 04:49 PM
FUGG THE CUBS.

You read my mind! Thats the Scrubs for ya though. Bastids!http://74.86.44.120/phpBB2/images/smiles/nutkickhorns.gif

spurstexanstros
09-11-2008, 04:50 PM
No new news yet on game. This comes from their press release that just went out:

I guess no news is better than bad news? other than hurricane bearing down on Texas? what could be bad. Oh yeah holding game in Atlanta......If they do that they will never have a fanbase larger than myself V-man and texizgreat in San Antonio. Please tell us something.

I hope its monday... my son's birthday. He is a good luck charm for the Texans. When i first brought him home, he was crying during the Texans game at KC and I picked him up and walked into the room and at that point Marcus Coleman picked off a pass an ran 102 yards for a TD. If its on his b-day it may be good luck for the Texans.

texanfan2002114
09-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Kubes answer from practice today..

Head coach Gary Kubiak

(on any changes for the game on Sunday) “No, not that I know of. We are just approaching it like we are going to play. I think we are like anybody else, concerned about this thing and how it’s going to be. But we haven’t been told otherwise so we are preparing as if we are going to play.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4627

Kaiser Toro
09-11-2008, 04:52 PM
This sucks. Ike is like a french fry that falls between the seat and console of your car.

hollywood_texan
09-11-2008, 04:52 PM
This sucks.....I just got a ticket to the game from a friend. Hope they end up playing here on Monday night.

Hear ya and understand. I bought 6 tickets to the Astros scheduled for Friday and Saturday months ago, and then I have 6 season tickets to the Texans.

It looks like $600 is gone, down the drain. But, considering what people are going through in Houston living through this hurricane, it really is inconsequential.

Wishing the best for everyone in Houston and surrounding areas.

Blazing Arrow
09-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Do you think it is a coincidence that Pacman is now in TX and the increase chances for it to rain?

False Start
09-11-2008, 04:58 PM
This sucks. Ike is like a french fry that falls between the seat and console of your car.

Many a tater tot and fries have met their fate in my ride at the hands of the kid.

Mailman
09-11-2008, 05:04 PM
ASTROS SERIES WITH CUBS TO BE POSTPONED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"ST. LOUIS -- The Cubs' weekend games in Houston against the Astros are expected to be postponed, and the Cubs will head back to Chicago after Thursday's game against St. Louis to avoid Hurricane Ike, which is churning in the Gulf of Mexico and heading in the direction of Texas.

The Cubs and Astros are scheduled to open a three-game series Friday at Minute Maid Park. There was talk about having the Cubs and Astros play a day game Friday instead of a night game, but all plans are on hold.

The Cubs expected to make an official announcement prior to Thursday's game against the Cardinals. The Astros will make an announcement soon, an MLB official said."

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080911&content_id=3457639&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Actuallly, the series hasn't been postponed yet, just Friday's game.

texanfan2002114
09-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Actuallly, the series hasn't been postponed yet, just Friday's game.

Well if the Cubs aren't flying in tonight after their game with the Cards and we call can say they won't be flying in on Saturday during the hurricane then the series will be postponed.

Mailman
09-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Well if the Cubs aren't flying in tonight after their game with the Cards and we call can say they won't be flying in on Saturday during the hurricane then the series will be postponed.

Play one on Sunday and two on Monday.

hollywood_texan
09-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Play one on Sunday and two on Monday.

You still have a flight issue to get in town in time to play on Sunday.

ArlingtonTexan
09-11-2008, 05:13 PM
It's been my experience. As a former south Florida resident, I've been through my share of storms. Down there everybody knew the routine, and everything was pretty much back to normal a day or two later. The Houston experiences have been similar, but with about 1,000% more freaking out, and more flooding.

It doesn't take that long for the power companies to make repairs and restore power downtown(hell, reliant has extra incentive to get it back quick). A tree is not going to fall on Reliant's roof. The levees aren't going to fail. Why can't we play Sunday?

I will use Roger goddell's words

We’re looking at alternatives if the storm is severe enough that it would prevent us from playing, whether that’s damage to the stadium, or fans not being able to get to the stadium, or whether, frankly, there’s just higher priorities in that community than playing a football game. We understand our place in the community, and we understand the first priority is public safety. We would not do anything to stress emergency workers and law enforcement workers from doing their job.”

texanfan2002114
09-11-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks Hollywood!!

AnthonyE
09-11-2008, 05:17 PM

I remember a few years ago Reliant Stadium lost power during a game, lol.

Mailman
09-11-2008, 05:18 PM

Tough cookies. If those p*ssies refuse to take an earlier flight, that's on the Cubs.

Coming from the team that's forced other teams to deal with the logistics of a night game in one city followed by a day game at Wrigley for the last ninety years, I consider it poetic justice.

Vinnie
09-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Many a tater tot and fries have met their fate in my ride at the hands of the kid.

Word

hollywood_texan
09-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Tough cookies. If those p*ssies refuse to take an earlier flight, that's on the Cubs.

Coming from the team that's forced other teams to deal with the logistics of a night game in one city followed by a day game at Wrigley for the last ninety years, I consider it poetic justice.

Probably the best thing to do is play these games later after Ike has passed and the damaged is assessed. I am talking about the Astros and the Texans.

People (including players) putting there lives at risk for a game just seems pointless when the games could be played at a later date.

Besides, more fans will be there if played at a later date anyway.

I bet they will reschedule.

Mailman
09-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Probably the best thing to do is play these games later after Ike has passed and the damaged is assessed. I am talking about the Astros and the Texans.

People (including players) putting there lives at risk for a game just seems pointless when the games could be played at a later date.

Lives will be at risk on Sunday and Monday?

Come on.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 05:36 PM

I'm with you on playing a later date - makes sense all the way around. However, I wouldn't think getting a flight is difficult considering they charter their own..

texanfan2002114
09-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I just got word from a good friend of mine who is in charge of the security of Reliant Stadium and he said that the Texans and the NFL has not made a decision yet and are waiting to release their plan either late tonight or tomorrow morning.

From all indication he has, the game will be played in Houston and will be played either Sunday afternoon or Monday night.

Mailman
09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
i just got word from a good friend of mine who is in charge of the security of reliant stadium and he said that the texans and the nfl has not made a decision yet and are waiting to release their plan either late tonight or tomorrow morning.

From all indication he has, the game will be played in houston and will be played either sunday afternoon or monday night.

what? People will die!!

hollywood_texan
09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Lives will be at risk on Sunday and Monday?

Come on.

Maybe not directly from the storm on Monday. But, what about public services, including Police, Fire, and EMS being available?

Further, you are assuming once this storm blows through, everything will be just fine to hold and play a game. In addition, you are assuming there will be enough fans to attend to make it worth while.

It takes a lot of time and effort to do these events.

Texans_Chick
09-11-2008, 05:49 PM

There's storms. And then there's STORMS.

We don't know which one this is going to be. When they start talking storm surges like Carla (http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html), that is outside my frame of reference as someone who lived on the coast and in Houston for many years.

If Houston gets a direct hit with significant winds, we could be without power for days into weeks.

This is a large freaking storm. Bigger than Katrina. If people get in trouble,it's going to be a while before the storm clears the area to go help peoples.

houstonhurricane
09-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Just saw on ProFootballTalk.com that the game is set for Monday night - CBS regional coverage...

houstonhurricane
09-11-2008, 06:10 PM
RAVENS-TEXANS WILL PLAY MONDAY NIGHT IN HOUSTON
Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2008, 6:06 p.m. EDT
And right after we hit the button posting our most recent entry, we received an e-mail informing us that the Week Two game between the Ravens and Texans will be played on Monday night, September 15, at 8:30 p.m. EDT.

The game will be televised regionally on CBS, and won’t be broadcast by ESPN as a second Monday night game.

The Eagles and Cowboys will meet on Monday night in Dallas.

www.profootballtalk.com

beerlover
09-11-2008, 06:11 PM
610 just confirmed Monday Night- Cowboys vs. Eagles blocked out in this area :spit:

Showtime100
09-11-2008, 06:13 PM
No Texans for Austin (I assume). :thumbdown :sos: :hairpull: :crying:

BigTimeTexanFan
09-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Here's to our very first Monday night game:wesmantexanfan:, technically!

Texans_Chick
09-11-2008, 06:23 PM
From the Texans press release:

Due to the importance of allowing the Houston area to focus on its recovery from the expected arrival of Hurricane Ike on Friday, the Houston Texans' home game Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens has been re-scheduled for Monday night at Reliant Stadium at 7:30 p.m. Houston time (8:30 p.m. ET). The game originally was scheduled to be played on Sunday, September 14 at 3:15 p.m. Houston Time (4:15 p.m. ET).

The Texans-Ravens Monday night game will be televised on local CBS stations in the primary and secondary markets of the Texans (Houston, Beaumont-Port Arthur, and Bryan, Texas) and the Ravens (Baltimore; Washington, DC; Salisbury, MD; and Harrisburg, PA).

Showtime100
09-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Anybody have KEYE Gary's number?

Overalls
09-11-2008, 06:40 PM
I will be working from 7:00 a.m. tomorrow until further notice. Depending on the severity of the storm, I may not get off untill Sunday morning. After working for that long in the storm I don't know if I will want to go to the game Monday night. Oh, well.

StarStruck
09-11-2008, 06:47 PM
610 just confirmed Monday Night- Cowboys vs. Eagles blocked out in this area :spit:

Interesting. I didn't realized that cable games were blocked. Since I have tickets to the Texans game I will be there, so I can still keep up with the score, then see what actually happened later. Win or lose, I have no concerns that full information will be readily available continuously.

WWJD
09-11-2008, 06:57 PM
If you don't have electricity it won't matter....

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 06:59 PM
I will be working from 7:00 a.m. tomorrow until further notice. Depending on the severity of the storm, I may not get off untill Sunday morning. After working for that long in the storm I don't know if I will want to go to the game Monday night. Oh, well.

You'll be there.... :texflag:

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2008, 07:45 PM
The Girls will not be blacked out as I understand it...........they will be on ESPN???????

ObsiWan
09-11-2008, 07:57 PM
The Girls will not be blacked out as I understand it...........they will be on ESPN???????

How do you know it won't be blacked out? I was looking fwd to seeing Philly spank that butt.
I was hoping to be able to DVR one and watch the other

...assuming we have pwr down here in Clear Lake.

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2008, 08:18 PM
How do you know it won't be blacked out? I was looking fwd to seeing Philly spank that butt.
I was hoping to be able to DVR one and watch the other

...assuming we have pwr down here in Clear Lake.

Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5995675.html)
Hurricane Ike has forced the Texans’ home opener against the Baltimore Ravens to be moved to 7:30 p.m. Monday night at Reliant Stadium.

The game will be televised on local CBS stations in the primary and secondary team markets: Houston, Beaumont-Port Arthur and Bryan.

The Monday night game between the Eagles and Cowboys at Texas Stadium will be shown at its regular time on ESPN.

Kaiser Toro
09-11-2008, 08:22 PM
If the NFL were smart they would set up a test in this type of situation where a game is moved to primetime on Sunday or Monday - live stream it on the network's site that lost the broadcast. They can easily move their sponosrs over there and they would have no problem.

Give it free, of course, but request a questionairre to be filled out about the experience. Win win for everyone.

ObsiWan
09-11-2008, 08:25 PM

Be careful out there.

Hope they're paying you doubletime
:money:

ObsiWan
09-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5995675.html)
Hurricane Ike has forced the Texans’ home opener against the Baltimore Ravens to be moved to 7:30 p.m. Monday night at Reliant Stadium.

The game will be televised on local CBS stations in the primary and secondary team markets: Houston, Beaumont-Port Arthur and Bryan.

The Monday night game between the Eagles and Cowboys at Texas Stadium will be shown at its regular time on ESPN.

Thanks!!

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2008, 09:06 PM
610 also just confirmed that the Girls will NOT be blacked..............just like cockroaches........can't get rid of them.................until the playoffs, that is.:cowboy1:

El Tejano
09-12-2008, 09:30 AM
So I'm getting conflicting info here. Some are saying it is going to be on ESPN2 and Direct TV. But then I read in the Chronicle that it will not be shown on neither of the two.

TexanBorn51
09-12-2008, 10:03 AM
I just called Directv not on there and it shows on my TV only potponed on CH717. As far as ESPN2 check this link out http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=122723

Overalls
09-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Be careful out there.

Hope they're paying you doubletime
:money:

Thanks. I am going to try to be carefull but they are talking about a 20ft storm surge and we already have some streets that are flooding out with the storm still a good ways away. It could get hairy around here before tomorrow afternoon.

CloakNNNdagger
09-12-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but with the intensity and the path of the anticipated storm, what makes you feel secure that there will be electricity, land line telephone or cell phone sevice to receive the game? That question hit me as a very realistic concern..........more realistic by the hour.:headhurts::mcnugget:

TexanBorn51
09-12-2008, 02:19 PM
I live in san Antonio. I emailed Houston Texan Radio 610 yesterday and asked if it would be live streamed on the net and today their reply is, "Sorry, but we are only allowed to stream 4 games this year and this weekend's game is not one of them." So live stream radio is also ruled out. If I remember right Houston is still in Texas right......? lol

ObsiWan
09-12-2008, 03:32 PM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but with the intensity and the path of the anticipated storm, what makes you feel secure that there will be electricity, land line telephone or cell phone sevice to receive the game? That question hit me as a very realistic concern..........more realistic by the hour.:headhurts::mcnugget:

you said it like that on purpose didn't you?
:D

CloakNNNdagger
09-12-2008, 04:05 PM
you said it like that on purpose didn't you?
:D

You've got me soooooo figured out.:)

Norg
09-12-2008, 06:05 PM
THis storm will be puny i dont even think my electricty is going to go out

iam going to go exercise during the storm LOL

Its 5 o clock and nothing has happend its not even raining

CloakNNNdagger
09-12-2008, 07:15 PM
THis storm will be puny i dont even think my electricty is going to go out

iam going to go exercise during the storm LOL

Its 5 o clock and nothing has happend its not even raining

You must be a rookie in more than one way to write that last statement. I'm a 1st responder...............the impact of this storm here in Houston will not begin to be felt until after midnight. I would hope that you have no one that depends on you acting in a responsible manner. They may not fare too well.

Kaiser Toro
09-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I was going to email my tickets and glad I did not as I do not see how they play on Monday given the early looks of Ike's impact. However, a football game may be a welcome distraction for Houstonians.

Speedy
09-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Lost power for about an hour. Absolutely no wind, rain, anything when it went out.

Back on for now.

kcdoubleeagle
09-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I have a feeling that football might not happen Monday night.......love the game..but think Houston's focus will be on storm surge victims..

Silver Oak
09-13-2008, 04:45 AM
with what I'm seeing on the tv right now, I don't think the game will be played on Monday.

texanmojo
09-13-2008, 05:53 AM
I have a feeling that football might not happen Monday night.......love the game..but think Houston's focus will be on storm surge victims..

if the game can be played, i will be there. I want a break froom this storm.

Mailman
09-13-2008, 06:11 AM
According to a rep from CenterPoint Energy, the medical center and downtown are still with power because those areas are serviced by underground power lines. The areas serviced through overhead lines are almost all without power.

Reliant Stadium should have power, so I doubt the power issue would prevent the game from kicking off. Other concerns, perhaps, but not the electricity.

Buffi2
09-13-2008, 06:43 AM
if the game can be played, i will be there. I want a break froom this storm.

Me too and I have a huge oak tree laying across my driveway. My truck may have to learn how to hurdle.

Mailman
09-13-2008, 06:57 AM
They better play that game. Let the city unite behind our Texans and Stros!

jaayteetx
09-13-2008, 11:20 AM
http://blogs.chron.com/hurricanes/2008/09/texans_game_postponed_damage_r.html
Looks like Reliant has damage and the game is postponed. Bummer.

jaayteetx
09-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Just now reading McClains blog and he mentioned the possibility of the game being played in Atlanta. If thats true, its a crock if you ask me, clear advantage to the Ravens not having to play in front of a hostile crowd. The should just make it a bye week for both teams and figure out something from there. The Texans shouldn't lose a home game because of mother nature.

Showtime100
09-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Just now reading McClains blog and he mentioned the possibility of the game being played in Atlanta. If thats true, its a crock if you ask me, clear advantage to the Ravens not having to play in front of a hostile crowd. The should just make it a bye week for both teams and figure out something from there. The Texans shouldn't lose a home game because of mother nature.

I'll bet that doesn't happen. Just a hunch, nothing more. It shouldn't happen either for the reasons you mentioned. It's not like the end of the season with little wiggle room.

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Maybe New Orleans? Aren't they away this week?

Brando
09-13-2008, 11:56 AM
http://blogs.chron.com/hurricanes/2008/09/texans_game_postponed_damage_r.html
Looks like Reliant has damage and the game is postponed. Bummer.

It's a bummer not only because that we will not play but we will not have a home game until Oct. 5th against the Colts.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/bobbummernu4.jpg

gtexan02
09-13-2008, 12:49 PM
We can't play the Ravens on our Bye Week. They have a game that week already

jaayteetx
09-13-2008, 12:54 PM

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53362&page=12

Htownsportsfan
09-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Just got power back on here in cypress and wanted to check in and see how the folks on the board were doing! There sure was alot of BS and Bravado being spewed on this board prior to the storm and was wondering how those who doubted what a ***** mother nature is have faired?

ATX
09-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Time to test out that roof.

Failed from what I hear.

Twitch-Houston
09-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Hope everyone made it through alright. Hurricane Ike turned out to be Hurricane "S"Ike for us here in Corpus. We didn't get anything from the hurricane.

HJam72
09-15-2008, 12:20 PM

Well then, they'll just have to forfeit to us. :)

El Tejano
09-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Well then, they'll just have to forfeit to us. :)
That sounds like the victory for The Comebacks!

Brando
09-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Hope everyone made it through alright. Hurricane Ike turned out to be Hurricane "S"Ike for us here in Corpus. We didn't get anything from the hurricane.

We didn't get anything. I thought since the storm was so wide we would get some high winds and rain but nothing.

You know Tina took a lot of shit from Ike and so did Houston(people and sports teams) and surrounding cities. Well you know what Tina did she recovered, made a comeback and hit the top of the charts. I'm hoping we can do the same for our communities and our sports teams.

Go Houston and Go Texans!

Wolf
09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
aerial overview of Reliant from the www.noaa.gov website
http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/ike/geo-C25955575.jpg

I haven't followed any thing about reliant.. but looks like 4 of the plates gone?
(or whatever you call it)

Twitch-Houston
09-17-2008, 11:53 AM
aerial overview of Reliant from the www.noaa.gov website
http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/ike/geo-C25955575.jpg

I haven't followed any thing about reliant.. but looks like 4 of the plates gone?
(or whatever you call it)

I wonder where they landed.:panic:

Drew_Smoke
09-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Anyone heard the latest??? I hope she's ready Oct 5th.

Drew_Smoke
09-20-2008, 12:48 AM
Ok...I am not sure what thread is relevant...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6012353.html

TheIronDuke
09-20-2008, 01:23 AM
I'm sorry if this comes of as being insensitive, but grow a sack. Most of us have lived on the coast for all our lives. What happened with Katrina sucked but we have faced so many hurricane warnings and threats that it is just a part of end-of-summer. Yes Katrina was bad and Ike looks bad as well but we can't act like the sky is falling on every single storm that may come within 200 miles of us. If you don't like it MOVE AWAY FROM THE COAST

Now with some hind-sight I want to let you know that this post pissed me off when I read it a week ago. I was too worried about how to take care of my family as I knew that a hurricane was bearing down on us to respond to it. I'm still without power at my house in NW Houston and I'm a bit aggravated that it's been a week pretty much to the hour that I have been knocked out of power.

Your comment was incredibly insensitive and I hope you feel like a douche for posting what you did. If you want us all to move away from the coast then guess what, there will be NO HOUSTON. No Houston means NO HOUSTON TEXANS!!! I can only hope a natural disaster doesn't strike you and your family up in Austin forcing you to live a week or so in the summer without power. But if it does, grow a sack. Try to show some compassion to the city of the NFL team you claim to support.