PDA

View Full Version : Plain and simple

brickman
09-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Our defense is not very good (or at least they didn't show it in week #1). Pittsburgh is a good team that pretty much did anything they wanted against us. Besides Super Mario and Demeco, I didn't see anybody that palyed well on the defensive side of the ball. The only games we can win are the teams we get in a shootout with and outscore them. Something needs to change. I didn't see anything in week #1 to get excited about. Hopefully, things turn around quickly.

We need some :kingkong: on d. :texflag:

Old School
09-08-2008, 09:10 AM
You left out Diles..He did lead the team in tackles with 11 (according to NFL.com). That has to count for something.:texflag:

Polo
09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Amobi was getting good penetration...

TEXANRED
09-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Our defense is not very good (or at least they didn't show it in week #1). Pittsburgh is a good team that pretty much did anything they wanted against us. Besides Super Mario and Demeco, I didn't see anybody that palyed well on the defensive side of the ball. The only games we can win are the teams we get in a shootout with and outscore them. Something needs to change. I didn't see anything in week #1 to get excited about. Hopefully, things turn around quickly.

We need some :kingkong: on d. :texflag:

Mario was about to be on fire. Two sacks and a FF. He even injured Big Ben. After that I think Pitt attempted 2 passes and ran everything up the gut.

You left out Diles..He did lead the team in tackles with 11 (according to NFL.com). That has to count for something
I am unimpressed by this number. Making the tackle 15 yards down field is a lot different than making a tackle at the line of scrimmage.

Its a combination of awful LBers and a front four that cant keep OLinemen off our LBers.

dskillz
09-08-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't think we can draw these sweeping conclusions after one week. Patriots got demolished to start the season against a crappy Bills team and went on to win the Super Bowl 3 years ago.

Not saying we are the Patriots or going to the Super Bowl, but we just got manhandled yesterday and how we respond this week will tell alot about the team. Not like the Ravens are a bunch of slouches on the defensive side of the ball themselves.

The one thing I did take away from the game is that Schaub still hasn't learned to value the ball. Last year he would have atleast 2 plays a game where he threw the ball up for grabs. He seems to have not learned to stop doing that.

thunderkyss
09-08-2008, 09:38 AM

I didn't see that at all.

As for the original post, if our offense doesn't get out of the funk they are in, you can forget about getting into a shootout with anybody.

I expected some issues on defense, and they actually performed better than my expectations. But the offense, I was caught totally by surprise.

I'm even more surprised there are no Start Sage threads yet.

Texan JBZ
09-08-2008, 09:38 AM

Were you holding the camera or playing the cheesy bass guitar licks. Because you definitely can't be talking about the Steelers game!

brickman
09-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm jsut frustrated. I was expecting so much more and we got our a**** handed to us. I know it was only week 1 .. let's just hope that they rebound in a big way this week against a rookie QB. If they can't handle Baltimore's offense, we are in for a long season.

thunderkyss
09-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Some other observations.

I hope everyone saw how their linebackers covered receivers. Even in Zone, when someone entered their zone, that person was their responsibility, and they followed their responsibility. They manned up on anyone entering their zone. Our guys find a spot, and cover that spot, until the ball is thrown, making it easy for receivers & QBs to find wholes, and sit in them.

I don't think Pitt picked on Reeves very much either. He also did his job, and there was that one great play, where the receiver thought he had the ball, and Reeves stayed with him the whole time, knocking the ball out of his hands.

I didn't realize how much we relied on Dunta in run defense. I mean I did, but I didn't. Before, we had problems stopping the run up the middle, now, they can beat us to the corners as well.

I thought I was happy with our DL, but after seeing damn near every screen pass being blown up by the Pittsburgh DL... and I mean their fat DEs...... I think we should expect our DL to play at that level. If you remember the commentator(Bill Billeck??) talking about Pitts DEs/or OLBs running for the sideline when they sniffed screen..... I got to thinking our guys don't ever run to the sideline(at least I haven't noticed before, but I'll be watching as we get beat on screens often).

alphajoker
09-08-2008, 10:05 AM

Were you holding the camera or playing the cheesy bass guitar licks. Because you definitely can't be talking about the Steelers game!

I thought he was making a good push through the OL myself.

Texan JBZ
09-08-2008, 11:54 AM
I thought he was making a good push through the OL myself.

What? Where? When? I mean, the Steelers ran the ball 39 times. Amobi Okoye had ZERO-COUNT THAT-ZERO TACKLES! Not even a f'ing assist. Hell, Vonta Leach registered an assist yesterday. What are you guys seeing that I'm obviously missing? The Steelers were pounding the ball on us and the starting DT doesn't even register ONE TACKLE! NOT ONE! 39 rushing attempts and not one damn tackle. That's a pathetic performance by Amobi. Terrible!

HOU-TEX
09-08-2008, 12:00 PM
I didn't see that at all.

As for the original post, if our offense doesn't get out of the funk they are in, you can forget about getting into a shootout with anybody.

I expected some issues on defense, and they actually performed better than my expectations. But the offense, I was caught totally by surprise.

I'm even more surprised there are no Start Sage threads yet.

Good Lord man, 38 points and almost 200 yards rushing. What the hell were your expectations?

I think we all expected issues on defense, but damn, that was just embarrassing.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
09-08-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm jsut frustrated. I was expecting so much more and we got our a**** handed to us. I know it was only week 1 .. let's just hope that they rebound in a big way this week against a rookie QB. If they can't handle Baltimore's offense, we are in for a long season.

I feel the same way. I have been a very optimistic fan since the inception, but this year I have been pretty pesimistic because honestly talk is cheap. The FO can talk about all the improvements in camp, etc, but until it finally translates to playing and winning against playoff type opponents then I will still continue to watch, but I will be slightly less thrilled about it.

treygar
09-08-2008, 12:27 PM
I agree with the first post and would like to add that Schaub is just a second rate Carr that will eventually throw more INT's and take just as damaging field position sacks until we figure out just what an offensive line is.

Spled
09-08-2008, 03:21 PM
One thing in defense of the defense is that the offense didn't help them too much with 2 interceptions and one four and out after another.

J-Russ
09-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Our offense was worst then our D. Hard to believe that huh.

When we were on offense, we couldn't do crap against the Steelers. The only time we scored a TD was when the Steelers started to lighten up and throw us some pity points. Our only real score came from a FG, and we wouldn't even had scored that if Mario hadn't cause a FF and if Meco didn't run it down to the 10 yards line. We couldn't even freakin score a TD, after being given awesome field position. Basically on the 10 yards line, It was like the Steelers were taunting us saying "come on, score on us if you can". Pathetic.

Garbage time aside, our score should have really been 0-38.

ReliantTexan
09-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Good Lord man, 38 points and almost 200 yards rushing. What the hell were your expectations?

I think we all expected issues on defense, but damn, that was just embarrassing.Seriously, the Steelers were 5 for 5 in the red zone. Our D didn't even give our offense a chance to keep this game close. I put this loss for the most part on the defenses shoulders, not that the offense was any good it's just that the defense let this game get out of hand so quickly, that we were down 21-0 in the second half. I don't care how well you're offense is playing, you'll never win if your defense is that bad.

ReliantTexan
09-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Our offense was worst then our D. Hard to believe that huh.

When we were on offense, we couldn't do crap against the Steelers. The only time we scored a TD was when the Steelers started to lighten up and throw us some pity points. Our only real score came from a FG, and we wouldn't even had scored that if Mario hadn't cause a FF and if Meco didn't run it down to the 10 yards line. We couldn't even freakin score a TD, after being given awesome field position. Basically on the 10 yards line, It was like the Steelers were taunting us saying "come on, score on us if you can". Pathetic.

Garbage time aside, our score should have really been 0-38.What do you think the score would have been if the Steelers would have kept most of their starters in on offense and didn't just play clock managment the entire second half?

J-Russ
09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
What do you think the score would have been if the Steelers would have kept most of their starters in on offense and didn't just play clock managment the entire second half?

NBA-like, with us at 0 though. In fact this reminds me of the Rockets game we had a few years back against the Suns. It was on national TV, and we were getting smoked by them, I think they had a 50 something point lead somewhere in the 3rd Q. Would've been even higher if they hadn't rest Nash and co.

I'm just glad some of the coaches out there are decent enough to take pity on the lowly teams, and allow them to score some pity points and make it seems like it was an actual game.

ReliantTexan
09-08-2008, 10:27 PM
NBA-like, with us at 0 though. In fact this reminds me of the Rockets game we had a few years back against the Suns. It was on national TV, and we were getting smoked by them, I think they had a 50 something point lead somewhere in the 3rd Q. Would've been even higher if they hadn't rest Nash and co.

I'm just glad some of the coaches out there are decent enough to take pity on a lowly team. Let's just hope the Texans decided to have their worst game of the season yesterday. :)

Wolf
09-08-2008, 10:29 PM
good news was ben was only 13-14

:sarcasm:

we got an old fashioned prison beating

reminds me of "necessary roughness" movie where the prisoners scrimmaged Texas State

J-Russ
09-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Let's just hope the Texans decided to have their worst game of the season yesterday. :)

Me too. The season is still not lost, and we can only hope the lights turn on before it's too late.

Giant Tiger
09-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Let's just hope the Texans decided to have their worst game of the season yesterday. :)

Agreed. Everybody played bad. At least it's better than 3 or 4 losses because one guy messed up each game :hairpull: