PDA

View Full Version : I thought Ahman Green was our #1 RB?

prostock101
09-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Because Slaton got more of the carries.

S. Slaton 13 carries for 43 yards 3.3 ypc
A. Green 5 carries for 28 yards 5.6 ypc

Why give the rookie Slaton the load over an experienced and healthy? Green.

I think Slation has great potential but why the big discrepancy?

And by the way, is there anyway we can get McKinney and Weary back?

Meyers and Brisiel really got eaten alive.....

J-Russ
09-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Because Slaton got more of the carries.

S. Slaton 13 carries for 43 yards 3.3 ypc
A. Green 5 carries for 28 yards 5.6 ypc

Why give the rookie Slaton the load over an experienced and healthy? Green.

I think Slation has great potential but why the big discrepancy?

And by the way, is there anyway we can get McKinney and Weary back?

McKinney doesn't fit the scheme and Weary was place on IR. I never been high on Brisiel, I'm still hoping that Frye converts to G and takes over.

Kubes already said that he was gonna go easy with Green for the first game, and he looked pretty effective too with his limited carries.

Slaton getting the majority of the carries tells me one thing, the coaches doesn't think much of the "back-up RB" Taylor. I'm thinking we'll bring another RB in, because right now we have two RB we're going to use, one being a undersize rookie and the other being an injury-prone veteran.

alphajoker
09-07-2008, 07:44 PM

Yeah, they were blown into the backfield a few times thoughout the game. Kind of worries me that this could happen all season.

Hervoyel
09-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah, they were blown into the backfield a few times thoughout the game. Kind of worries me that this could happen all season.

It's going to take a while for them (the offensive line) to learn how to do this and so I hope we're seeing the worst play of their season as far as this is concerned. I hope as they get more in sync with one another we start seeing some of the "little guys creating creases through technique that we've all heard about.

Today was pretty much a "worst case scenario" opponent for a young line playing it's first real game with this scheme.

I hope.

ATXtexanfan
09-07-2008, 08:21 PM
ahman is our #1, have you seen his paycheck

dtran04
09-07-2008, 08:24 PM
I actually really liked what I saw with the RBs when they were given a chance. Slaton pretty much made the 1st guy miss everytime. It's up for the line to make that 1st guy a single LB, not all of them.

ObsiWan
09-07-2008, 08:25 PM

yeah, just wait until Haynesworth and VDB get a hold of them
Tenn. held Fred Taylor and MJD to 31 total yds rushing today

edo783
09-07-2008, 08:42 PM
One of the historical issues with the "Gibbs" type lineman is that they have more trouble holding up against the pass rush.

Runner
09-07-2008, 09:13 PM
It's going to take a while for them (the offensive line) to learn how to do this and so I hope we're seeing the worst play of their season as far as this is concerned.

The thing is, we've been hearing this same refrain for years. The Texans haven't picked up young talent on the line and developed it. They bring in old vets like Salaam (or worse), and after a year they have to gel again when the vet is replaced.

This has gone on for two coaching staffs and front offices. Maybe they'll stick with the guys they have now for a couple of years, but what are the odds of that? I think we'll talk about the need to gel next year.

eriadoc
09-07-2008, 09:17 PM
McKinney doesn't fit the scheme and Weary was place on IR. I never been high on Brisiel, I'm still hoping that Frye converts to G and takes over.

I'm guessing that won't happen, since Frye was cut. Did we pick him back up, and I missed it?

bah007
09-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm guessing that won't happen, since Frye was cut. Did we pick him back up, and I missed it?

Practice Squad I believe.

Hervoyel
09-07-2008, 10:09 PM
The thing is, we've been hearing this same refrain for years. The Texans haven't picked up young talent on the line and developed it. They bring in old vets like Salaam (or worse), and after a year they have to gel again when the vet is replaced.

This has gone on for two coaching staffs and front offices. Maybe they'll stick with the guys they have now for a couple of years, but what are the odds of that? I think we'll talk about the need to gel next year.

I think we may be doing that next year too and that does worry me a little. I am fairly certain however that next year we will have Duane Brown at LT, Chester Pitts at LG, Chris Meyers at C, and Eric Winston at RT. I think if we're making changes to the line next year it will be at RG and getting one player in sync with the rest is progress. At least we won't be going through all of this with everyone again.