PDA

View Full Version : The much dreaded "cushion"

gtexan02
09-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Why is it that on every 3rd and 5, our DBs give a 6 yard cushion to the opposing teams WRs?

Why is it on every 3rd and 10, that cushion is 12 yards?
Every 3rd and 2, the cushion is 3 yards?

Are other teams WRs so good that they achieve separation whenever they want, or do we have some weird scheme?

DBCooper
09-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Why is it that on every 3rd and 5, our DBs give a 6 yard cushion to the opposing teams WRs?

Why is it on every 3rd and 10, that cushion is 12 yards?
Every 3rd and 2, the cushion is 3 yards?

Are other teams WRs so good that they achieve separation whenever they want, or do we have some weird scheme?

It's that big "welcoming" hole our defense puts in the middle of the field.

Grid
09-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Ive wondered that myself.. seems like the only time we ever defend a pass is if its 20+ yards downfield. And it seems like we NEVER jump a route and get the interception.

Ive wondered if we have some kind of bend but dont break defense that is designed to allow teams to get 5-7 yard pickups all day long.

if so..i hate it.

RipTraxx
09-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Especially when on first and second we're in press coverage. Its almost backwards. Damn Richard Smith.

J-Russ
Ive wondered that myself.. seems like the only time we ever defend a pass is if its 20+ yards downfield. And it seems like we NEVER jump a route and get the interception.

Ive wondered if we have some kind of bend but dont break defense that is designed to allow teams to get 5-7 yard pickups all day long.

if so..i hate it.

Whoever heard of playing prevent defense right from the get go, when the score is 0-0?
Richard Smith, you ridiculous man.

Texan JBZ

if so..i hate it.

It's more like bend, bend, bend, there goes the RB breaking for a TOUCHDOWN!

Hervoyel
09-07-2008, 05:45 PM
We just don't have enough talent on defense for Dick Smith to whip out his bag of Super-Defense tricks. We've only got enough talent for him to use his "Be The Rock" therapy. Next week he's going to put a scented candle in each defenders locker only it will be crap scented to remind them of how much they stunk the week before. He'll telll them "Don't Be The Stink!" (but still be AGGRESSIVE!*)

*See how that was in red bold italics so it looked like it was going fast? That was classic Dick Smith Aggression. If you don't get it that's just because you don't have enough talent to get it.

Malloy
09-07-2008, 05:47 PM

if so..i hate it.

Much love for our bend AND break tictacs :=)

dtran04
09-07-2008, 05:48 PM
When it's even clear to me that the Texans always play zone when backed into the endzone, you have a problem. Every endzone pass play was designed to hit the weakspots of a cover 2.

DBCooper
09-07-2008, 05:52 PM
We just don't have enough talent on defense for Dick Smith to whip out his bag of Super-Defense tricks. We've only got enough talent for him to use his "Be The Rock" therapy. Next week he's going to put a scented candle in each defenders locker only it will be crap scented to remind them of how much they stunk the week before. He'll telll them "Don't Be The Stink!" (but still be AGGRESSIVE!*)

*See how that was in red bold italics so it looked like it was going fast? That was classic Dick Smith Aggression. If you don't get it that's just because you don't have enough talent to get it.

LOL

You're in my mood!

J-Russ
09-07-2008, 06:00 PM
LOL

You're in my mood!

Hey if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Those delusional fans fail to give in to the crap they see on the field, so might as well join them in their la-la land.

TexansSeminole
09-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Hey if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Those delusional fans fail to give in to the crap they see on the field, so might as well join them in their la-la land.

La-la land might be the perfect way to explain it.

I expect homerism on this board, but today it just doesn't make sense.

DBCooper
09-07-2008, 06:12 PM

You know, I know its only one game.

But I am pissed.

We looked like a weak, slow, amatuer team out there. We did nothing to kick the image of the laughable Texans football team. We reinforced it.

I want the Texans to be feared. Not laughed at.

Grid
09-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Some of you folks mistake an unwillingness to bash the team as homerism.

I have my doubts about the team as well.. i just dont think 1 game.. especially a week 1 game.. is enough for me to call the whole season a bust.

I also think that people who cant criticize their team without being rude, insulting, or sarcastic.. are childish and unintelligent.

J-Russ
09-07-2008, 06:20 PM
You know, I know its only one game.

But I am pissed.

We looked like a weak, slow, amatuer team out there. We did nothing to kick the image of the laughable Texans football team. We reinforced it.

I want the Texans to be feared. Not laughed at.

We've been talked up to be a fast and athletic team, but from what I've seen out there today, all of that was the complete opposite. Our S, LB, CB were slow like molasses. When we have already given up a good portion of size to the other team, the only thing we can ask for is a upperhand in the speed category. Not today. They were all bigger, faster, and stronger then us.

Hervoyel
09-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Some of you folks mistake an unwillingness to bash the team as homerism.

I have my doubts about the team as well.. i just dont think 1 game.. especially a week 1 game.. is enough for me to call the whole season a bust.

I also think that people who cant criticize their team without being rude, insulting, or sarcastic.. are childish and unintelligent.

From many sources but this is where I got the quote: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=452254

Over the past six seasons, since the NFL adopted its current eight-division format, 68 percent of teams that won in Week 1 of the regular season (49 of 72) went on to qualify for the playoffs. So roughly, about 10 of every 16 losers of Week 1 games watch their playoff chances being reduced to bleak.

On average week 1 is more important than you are giving it credit for. True it seems like every season some team or another gets the snot pounded out of it on opeing day and then goes on to make a playoff run (The Patriots getting killed by Buffalo a few years back comes to mind) but it's more often that the teams sitting home lose on opening day than the other way around.

Texan JBZ
09-07-2008, 06:36 PM
If Bum Phillips spoke about Richard Smith: "He can take his'n and you can run and pass all over em' or he can take your'n and make em' look just as bad".

:spit:

joedinkle
09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Hate all you want, but I know who I'm voting for this football season...

http://www.geocities.com/nodnarb_sc/smith.JPG

Polo
09-07-2008, 07:05 PM
I'd be shocked if Richard Smith was doing something so obviously detrimental to the team--like instructing our corners to give too big of a cusion--and no one said anything about it...

Ray Rhodes, Jon Hoke, and Kubiak are three guys that'd I'd expect to add some input come meeting time if Richard Smith's defense was so obviously bad...

He's been making the gametime calls for a while now...

Either his defensive scheme isn't as bad as it's made to sound around here or no one else on staff is paying attention or cares...

If giving less of a cusion was something that would probably help us out defensively I'd expect that suggestion to get thrown out there...

False Start
09-07-2008, 07:09 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/smithdevil2.jpg

It just may be true.

Hervoyel
09-07-2008, 07:16 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/smithdevil2.jpg

It just may be true.

Ooooh, I like it. It's AGGRESSIVE!

Hervoyel
09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I'd be shocked if Richard Smith was doing something so obviously detrimental to the team--like instructing our corners to give too big of a cusion--and no one said anything about it...

Ray Rhodes, Jon Hoke, and Kubiak are three guys that'd I'd expect to add some input come meeting time if Richard Smith's defense was so obviously bad...

Either his defensive scheme isn't as bad as it's made to sound around here or no one else on staff is paying attention or cares...

If giving less of a cusion was something that would probably help us out defensively I'd expect that suggestion to get thrown out there...

I think you have a point (as does Marcus) and yes, you would think that someone (Rhodes for instance) might say "Hey, you know Richard. I was a defensive coordinator for a long time and that stuff you're talking about isn't going to work."

I would think that even if Kubiak had almost no understanding of defensive philosophies he'd at least be thinking along the lines of "I'm gonna get fired if this keeps up! Do something to stop them!" Now Hoke I'm not sure about either. Former college DC so you would think he would know if Smith was doing something not grounded in reality. Same with Rhodes who has pro DC experience.

I've worked in places where they didn't want you putting your nose in things that weren't your business. Maybe that's a possibility? Maybe this is a spot where people are all standing around talking about how this isn't working but nobody will step up and say anything about it "on the record"?

I don't know. I just know this isn't working and it's 6:22PM on opening day of the 2008 season and I'm already seeing "We'll be there in 2009" posts. That's hard on the heart. They've had three drafts and three years worth of free agents to look at. I take from that fact the thought that we may have adequate to good people in place but we can very much say we don't have great people building this team. We now know that we haven't brought in the next whiz kid genius coach or GM. We aren't on the fast track. Somebody capable of righting a franchise quickly and properly like Bill Parcells for instance would likely not have come here. He wouldn't want to be shackled by the "morality clause" that players have to be able to abide by to play here. He's about winning football not "winning hearts and minds in the community through sunshine and good character". Parcells would have broken everything in 2006 within about two months and run everyone not ready to start earning some respect out of camp.

We might have good coaching and maybe a good GM but something is just not right about the Texans.

FirstTexansFan
09-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Somebody capable of righting a franchise quickly and properly like Bill Parcells for instance would likely not have come here. He wouldn't want to be shackled by the "morality clause" that players have to be able to abide by to play here. He's about winning football not "winning hearts and minds in the community through sunshine and good character". Parcells would have broken everything in 2006 within about two months and run everyone not ready to start earning some respect out of camp.

If our first game of this season is the determination to whether a FO is capable, then shouldn't Miami's first game also be a determination of Parcell's ability? Last I saw, the Jet Farve kicked Bill's arse :)

False Start
09-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Ooooh, I like it. It's AGGRESSIVE!

LOL. :cool:

I just don't get it. Like you said,someone that has had success as a D coordinator,should step up and tell this guy how to do things. Anything at this point couldn't be any worse.

Hervoyel
09-07-2008, 07:42 PM
If our first game of this season is the determination to whether a FO is capable, then shouldn't Miami's first game also be a determination of Parcell's ability? Last I saw, the Jet Farve kicked Bill's arse :)

Get back to me when Parcells is taking the Dolphins into their third season. He just got there.

Polo
09-07-2008, 07:43 PM
We might have good coaching and maybe a good GM but something is just not right about the Texans.

We're soft...Friendly...

We have a lot of guys that want to play good football, but I don't see many that want to crush the opposition...

I've never seen a friendlier defense...Not a lot of nastiness over there...

I know a lot of folks won't agree with me, but it's JMO....

Our O-line is pretty friendly as well...

When an agressive team like the steelers comes at you and jumps on a nice team like the Texans it normally brings the ***** out of ya'....

FirstTexansFan
09-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Well, flat out, in my top ten posters on this board, you're clearly top five. But, I question your positive assessment of Parcells. He had plenty of time in Dallas to right that ship, and the jury is still out on that. I just don't see the man in the same light as you :) As for our FO, I'm still a believer in our owner, Rick Smith, and Kubiak. I don't think having a morality clause is an issue, more especially with Goodell as the NFL commissioner. Classy players don't lose ballgames, crappy players do :)

Polo
09-07-2008, 07:50 PM
I don't think having a morality clause is an issue, more especially with Goodell as the NFL commissioner. Classy players don't lose ballgames, crappy players do :)

You don't have to be a miscreant to be an aggressive mean ball player...

CoastalTexan
09-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Wheres the Soap 2008 Style??? It worked for Casserley, perhaps it will work for Smith.

Texan JBZ
09-07-2008, 07:56 PM
But, I question your positive assessment of Parcells. He had plenty of time in Dallas to right that ship, and the jury is still out on that. I just don't see the man in the same light as you

I hate the Cowgirls, but let's see: Marion Barber, Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Demarcus Ware, Chris Canty, Terrence Newman, Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, Marcus Spears, Bradie James, and Roy Williams are all Parcells guys. Only reason he left is he got tired of Jerry Jones's meddling. Can't say I blame him. But Parcells track record is impeccable. Dolphins will be a force in about 2-3 years.

Hervoyel
09-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Well, flat out, in my top ten posters on this board, you're clearly top five. But, I question your positive assessment of Parcells. He had plenty of time in Dallas to right that ship, and the jury is still out on that. I just don't see the man in the same light as you :) As for our FO, I'm still a believer in our owner, Rick Smith, and Kubiak. I don't think having a morality clause is an issue, more especially with Goodell as the NFL commissioner. Classy players don't lose ballgames, crappy players do :)

Well, they were 5-11 before he got there for three straight years. He had his season where he went with the players he inherited for the most part and then went 10-6 with those guys. Then he decided to tear down and start over (guess he saw them as being 10-6 at best) and they fell to 6-10. Following that you got 9-7, 9-7, and 13-3 (Phillips with basically Parcells team).

I'd say he righted that ship.

FirstTexansFan
09-07-2008, 08:03 PM
That ship isn't righted until they win a Playoff game bro. And as far as that list of players given me, only TO gets the miscreant label, and he wasn't Parcells pick, that was JJ's all the way. So we're back to the point I was trying to make, you don't have to have a criminal record to be aggressive, but you do need some talent :)

J-Russ
09-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Wheres the Soap 2008 Style??? It worked for Casserley, perhaps it will work for Smith.

I forgot who made that avatar, I'm guessing maybe KT? Whomever done it I request a remake with Richard Smith name on it. I would don that avatar for as long as it takes, until Smith is fired.

Time to start the pink soap avatar request petition. Bring back the soap!

Hervoyel
09-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I forgot who made that avatar, I'm guessing maybe KT? Whomever done it I request a remake with Richard Smith name on it. I would don that avatar for as long as it takes, until Smith is fired.

Time to start the pink soap avatar request petition. Bring back the soap!

I'l never make one of those again so sorry, someone else is going to have to do that.

Hook'er
09-08-2008, 03:40 PM
We're soft...Friendly...

We have a lot of guys that want to play good football, but I don't see many that want to crush the opposition...

I've never seen a friendlier defense...Not a lot of nastiness over there...

I know a lot of folks won't agree with me, but it's JMO....

Our O-line is pretty friendly as well...

When an agressive team like the steelers comes at you and jumps on a nice team like the Texans it normally brings the ***** out of ya'....

Yep, were in troble in a couple weeks when we play in Tennessee, especially with no VY!

False Start
09-08-2008, 06:39 PM
If Richard Smith were a rapper,he would be called "Vanilla D" .

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/vanillad1.gif

DerekLee1
09-08-2008, 11:24 PM

You have well-respected coaches out there in Rhodes and Hoke, though, and they're respected for a reason. They know their places, and they're not going to make waves. Just like Gibbs isn't going to step up and start telling Shanahan or Kubes how to design plays and run an offense, neither is Rhodes or Hoke. Now get Buddy Ryan here, and he might just start throwing punches - literally.

LonerATO
09-08-2008, 11:34 PM
I hate the Cowgirls, but let's see: Marion Barber, Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Demarcus Ware, Chris Canty, Terrence Newman, Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, Marcus Spears, Bradie James, and Roy Williams are all Parcells guys. Only reason he left is he got tired of Jerry Jones's meddling. Can't say I blame him. But Parcells track record is impeccable. Dolphins will be a force in about 2-3 years.

i completley agree with you on that about parcells. you look at the years jones had crappy coaches his draft picks sucked but with parcells calling gthe shots it was different.

feebleminded
09-08-2008, 11:52 PM
You have well-respected coaches out there in Rhodes and Hoke, though, and they're respected for a reason. They know their places, and they're not going to make waves. Just like Gibbs isn't going to step up and start telling Shanahan or Kubes how to design plays and run an offense, neither is Rhodes or Hoke. Now get Buddy Ryan here, and he might just start throwing punches - literally.

Say what? You do know that Gibbs is the assistant HC right? I suspect that Kubes and Shanny dont wonder what Gibbs is thinking very often.

kiwitexansfan
09-09-2008, 12:17 AM
At the heart of defense philosophy I believe is the addage not to give up the big play, hence the cushion.

I think that our coaches would prefer to die the death of a thousand cuts than be beheaded in one foul swoop.

The reason you don't see many people breaking on the ball and making picks I would suggest is a lack of talent and the aforementioned not wanting to give up the big play. The other factor is that the 2 x S rather than FS/SS approach also detracts from putting a true ball hawk back there.

I personally like bend don't break defense but we have got to stop the run and put some longer down/distance pressure on the passing game.

ObsiWan
09-09-2008, 08:17 AM
At the heart of defense philosophy I believe is the addage not to give up the big play, hence the cushion.

I think that our coaches would prefer to die the death of a thousand cuts than be beheaded in one foul swoop.

The reason you don't see many people breaking on the ball and making picks I would suggest is a lack of talent and the aforementioned not wanting to give up the big play. The other factor is that the 2 x S rather than FS/SS approach also detracts from putting a true ball hawk back there.

I personally like bend don't break defense but we have got to stop the run and put some longer down/distance pressure on the passing game.

I think that's an accurate assessment. No big plays and maybe, during the course of a long drive, the offense will screw up. Well, Pittsburgh's offense didn't.

I believe a DB has to know the other team's tendencies (that means lots of study) and have the WR route tree down cold, in order to jump routes. Our starting CBs have neither the experience, the confidence, nor the coaching philosophy to gamble (remember, no big plays & sometimes when you gamble you miss).

A "ball hawk" has the instincts to know when and how to gamble. And we all know we don't have anyone like that at safety. Not yet.

dickieb
09-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Let's bring back buddy ryan for dc - any takers?

Double Barrel
09-09-2008, 06:48 PM

Good post. I was going to mention the part in bold, as well. 35-3, which Richard Smith experienced, seems to have created coaches that gameplan around this exact mantra.

I think there is enough crap to go around for everyone on the team. Lots of manure to spread everywhere in the Texans flower bed after last Sunday.

spurstexanstros
09-09-2008, 06:56 PM
I think its called the "lee evans rule" or the "if D-rob can get burnt deep after our biggest comeback what hope do the rest of them have have?" rule

They way they played i considered a third down that did not yield a TD a sucessful third down. My prayer for the rest of the season is " for the love of all things holy, can they please make a stop on third down!! please God I dont ask for much... or do I?"

kiwitexansfan
09-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I think our cushion on pass plays will work better when our run defense makes people have 3rd and long, not 3rd and short.

Run defense is at the heart of good defense period.

DBCooper
09-09-2008, 10:27 PM
And what is up with our blitzes?

When we line up to blitz, it is so obvious.

When we don't blitz, you can tell they are not going to blitz.

Disguise something. At least make them guess.

BigBull17
09-10-2008, 12:44 PM
And what is up with our blitzes?

When we line up to blitz, it is so obvious.

When we don't blitz, you can tell they are not going to blitz.

Disguise something. At least make them guess.

Except the one time they tried to disguise a blitz, our LB's started so far away from the LOS that their unathletic asses couldnt get any where near Big Ben. When we did blitz, Mario forced a fumble. I would rather have to watch a blown coverage here and there than watch people go 80 yards in 16 plays drive after drive.