PDA

View Full Version : Texans expected to sign Eugene Wilson

Mailman
09-03-2008, 01:06 AM
The Chronicle is reporting that Brandon Frye was cut Tuesday to make room on the roster for Smithiak to sign former Pats CB Eugene Wilson.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5980361.html

Me likey.

Update: Kuharsky (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-4-17/Wilson-helps-Texans-with-depth-in-secondary.html)reports that Wilson has signed his name on the dotted line.

ccdude730
09-03-2008, 01:17 AM
The Chronicle is reporting that Brandon Frye was cut Tuesday to make room on the roster for Smithiak to sign former Pats CB Eugene Wilson.

Me likey.

i like the move as well. im curious as to how he will fit in with our defense since he has the ability to play CB and safety.

whats the scouting report on him?

buddyboy
09-03-2008, 01:17 AM
I still think there were players that could have/should have been released before Frye.

I thought Wilson was a safety?

Mailman
09-03-2008, 01:23 AM
He can play both positions.

Jackie Chiles
09-03-2008, 01:27 AM
We are raiding the NFC South I guess. Anyway Wilson sounds good to me. Hopefully Frye clears waivers and we cut someone from the PS to make room for him.

Mailman
09-03-2008, 01:34 AM
Hopefully he performs at a much higher level than Rosevelt Colvin. From what I've read Wilson was a victim of the numbers game and got beat out by a young undrafted free agent CB from Troy, Elbert Mack, who started opposite Leodis McKelvin.

dalemurphy
09-03-2008, 01:35 AM

Me likey.

Now this is good news. We just got better. I'm feeling really good about our secondary as the season wears on.

Molden will get better, Dunta will come back and our depth will be very good. The combination of Wilson and Harrison provide us with much more flexibility in the secondary since both have corner skills but can play safety.

I'm excited about this one!

LonerATO
09-03-2008, 02:29 AM
wow I hope that is true since our secondary sucks

YellerLotYeller
09-03-2008, 02:47 AM
what the hell? We dont need Wilson....we've got Petey mf'n Faggins!

Norg
09-03-2008, 03:27 AM
Hmm we seems to raid or go after

Denver players

NFC south

and NE pats players

Hook'er
09-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Wilson, welcome to Houston!:texflag:

HJam72
09-03-2008, 07:43 AM
We needed this really bad.

rmartin65
09-03-2008, 08:08 AM
He plays FS and then Demps slides over to SS?

Errant Hothy
09-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Does he still have any game left? And if so why was he released by the Bucs?

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2008, 08:28 AM
i like the move as well. im curious as to how he will fit in with our defense since he has the ability to play CB and safety.

whats the scouting report on him?

He was used by the Pats mostly as a FS while also contributing to STs. Here's a pretty detailed summary of his play as posted on the Pats site (http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=23706). His 2006 season was spent on IR because of groin/hamstring injuries which has since not appeared to be a problem.

Brando
09-03-2008, 08:34 AM

I did a little research and looks like he did little to distinguish himself in the preseason and got caught up in the #'s game.

The first place they looked to trim was with the group of nine defensive backs, where the debate was between veteran Eugene Wilson, with the experience of two Super Bowl titles in New England, and rookie Elbert Mack, an undrafted free agent from Troy.

Goodbye Wilson. Hello Mack.

Wilson, the sixth-year pro, signed as a free agent in March. He didn't do much to distinguish himself in the preseason and got caught up in a numbers crunch at a position that featured starters Ronde Barber and Phillip Buchanon, plus rookie first-round draft pick Aqib Talib.

LINK (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bucsbeat0208sep02,0,3229593.story)

Found this at the Bengals site....

According to an NFC source, the Bengals on Tuesday worked out versatile veteran defensive back Eugene Wilson.

Wilson, second-round pick of the Patriots in 2003, moved on to Tampa Bay this offseason and was cut after playing in the final three preseason games with eight tackles and a sack.

Wilson, 28, brings a load of experience playing both safety and cornerback, something the Bengals could need at corner after the release of Deltha O'Neal left them with No. 3 and 4 corners that have a total of seven NFL games.

The 5-10, 195-pound Wilson made 55 starts with the Pats as well as starts in two Super Bowls, but he has fought injuries since tearing his groin in the third quarter of the Super Bowl win over Carolina four years ago.

He played in 11 games in '07 and one of his six starts came in Cincinnati with three tackles.

It's doubtful the Bengals sign any veterans before Opening Day, but Wilson could be an option if safety Chinedum Ndukwe (knee) can't go next week in the home opener against Tennessee and beyond.

Also on the road is former Bengals right tackle Willie Anderson. After visiting Baltimore Tuesday night, Anderson heads to Tampa Wednesday morning with a trip to San Diego also looming.

Word is former Bengals running back Rudi Johnson's one-year deal in Detroit is for $1.1 million.

LINK (http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7010)

J-Russ
09-03-2008, 09:14 AM
I thought this guy was a fossil.... he's only 28! Just entering his prime.

Former 2nd round pick for the Pats, had two very good season a decent third one and was injure for the most part of his fourth and last year with them. Anybody knows why he couldn't stick with the Pats or Bucs, is it an injury issue? Or is he not good enough?

Thorn
09-03-2008, 09:18 AM
if this guy is that great, he'd have been kept by someone. This doesn't mean he isn't better than our current bench warmers, but I see nothing to be overly exicited about here.

Ole Miss Texan
09-03-2008, 09:21 AM
This is great news. At the minimum, it doesn't make the team any worse. Frye was a guy destined for the PS... he needs to develop under Gibbs another year and then hopefully come in to take Salaams place as a 4th tackle + have back up Guard duty.

On to Wilson... I'm excited about this. I don't think he's going to come in and be a pro bowler but he should provide us with some quality play and quality depth. I was very suspicious of us getting rid of Fletcher and only having four CB's. This explains a lot. He can provide depth at both CB and S.

Just hope he works out better than Boulware (Wilson should be used differently anyways).

Mailman
09-03-2008, 09:21 AM
if this guy is that great, he'd have been kept by someone. This doesn't mean he isn't better than our current bench warmers, but I see nothing to be overly exicited about here.

Maybe. On the other hand, he could be our next Will Demps.

J-Russ
09-03-2008, 09:22 AM
In retrospect, I guess cutting Frye wasn't a bad move afterall, Kubiak/Smith didn't disappoint with the next guy he brought in.... glad it wasn't Tatum.

This guy could really help us, if he can still contribute that is. Depending how smart he is, he'll probably be brought up slowly like Demps was last year. But, then again Wilson isn't injured like Demps was, with his bionic arm, when we signed him. If anything, this signing will help us later in the season.... when we make that playoff push.

J-Russ
09-03-2008, 09:28 AM
He was drafted by the Patriots in the second round (36th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft. He has helped the Patriots win Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2003 and Super Bowl XXXIX in 2004. He recovered a fumble by Philadelphia Eagles tight end L.J. Smith in Super Bowl XXXIX before leaving the game after sustaining an injury on a kickoff. He also intercepted Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger twice in the Patriots 41-27 victory in the 2004 AFC Championship Game. - wiki
Not that I expect that from him this week or anything.... just like to point that out.

Kaiser Toro
09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
He is a body for a unit in need. I think our O-Line was our most improved unit last year and is better this year. When you are down to selecting the 53rd man, I would opine the acquisition is about veteran depth.

Mailman
09-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I thought this guy was a fossil.... he's only 28! Just entering his prime.

Former 2nd round pick for the Pats, had two very good season a decent third one and was injure for the most part of his fourth and last year with them. Anybody knows why he couldn't stick with the Pats or Bucs, is it an injury issue? Or is he not good enough?

He went to Tampa as a free agent and didn't excel in the Tampa 2. His contract and the depth at the position made him expendable. The cynic in me wants to agree with Thorn, because really good players don't get cut, but the homer in me doubts the team would've let Brandon Frye go if Wilson has nothing left. They've talked up Frye for quite some time. This should tell us something about what they think of Wilson.

Seņor Stan
09-03-2008, 09:42 AM
He is a body for a unit in need. I think our O-Line was our most improved unit last year and is better this year. When you are down to selecting the 53rd man, I would opine the acquisition is about veteran depth.

I personally like it when the Texans have to make tough cuts for the 53rd roster spot.

It means we finally have something we never have had before....depth.

J-Russ
09-03-2008, 09:43 AM
They have a thread over at the bucs forum, talking about Wilson...

http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=163263

I found this part interesting.
It might be that Wilson just could'nt pick up our system.

Regardless, Mack outplayed everyone else and earned the job.

and wilson played mostly CB right? hes a safety....

He was a Corner in college and wanted to play CB somewhere when he left new england.

Hope he gives up that experiment and be a FS for us.... cause God know we desperately need one.

Kaiser Toro
09-03-2008, 09:46 AM
They have a thread over at the bucs forum, talking about Wilson...

http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=163263

I found this part interesting.

Hope he gives up that experiment and be a FS for us.... cause God know we desperately need one.

Good catch and take. The only thing is that Smith's system suppossedly does not look at FS or SS, just S. However, I would welcome a FS in the event we have a Smith departure in the future, as the next DC may want a true FS in the fold.

J-Russ
09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
He went to Tampa as a free agent and didn't excel in the Tampa 2. His contract and the depth at the position made him expendable. The cynic in me wants to agree with Thorn, because really good players don't get cut, but the homer in me doubts the team would've let Brandon Frye go if Wilson has nothing left. They've talked up Frye for quite some time. This should tell us something about what they think of Wilson.

Agreed. But how can he not excel in Tampa 2, when that was the same system that turn P-Buc into a decent starter? Makes me wonder..

From what I hear over at the Bucs forum, he was missing alot of tackles in the pre-season. He actually played in the last pre-season game against us, so Kubiak and Smith should have a recent scouting report on him.

Seņor Stan
09-03-2008, 09:49 AM

If really good players don't get cut, then why is anyone bellyaching about Frye, Maddox, etc.

Different teams are deeper at different positions, so there is always a chance to upgrade at an area of weakness at the expense of an area of strength.

eriadoc
09-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Agreed. But how can he not excel in Tampa 2, when that was the same system that turn P-Buc into a decent starter? Makes me wonder...

Some guys are more suited for Cover D and some are better suited for Man D. I don't know anything about Wilson, but that addresses your question.

My question - How is Eugene Wilson better or worse than Deltha O'Neal?

nero THE zero
09-03-2008, 10:03 AM
My question - How is Eugene Wilson better or worse than Deltha O'Neal?

I don't know the answer to that, but O'Neal is a few years older and was, coincidentally, signed by NE yesterday.

leebigeztx
09-03-2008, 10:22 AM
This is a move I talked about in Coveted Castoffs thread. Wilson is a package player. In todays nfl, there are numerous Y- flex tight ends. The Y-flex te is the guy that can be flexed away from the formation to create mismatches. That guy is a vertical threat. The problem is with this guy is he's to strong for a corner and to fast for a lb. Top that off, if you go nickel, the team wil power run on you. This is why big nickelis so important or 3 safety package. Looking at clark,crumpler,k2, heap, olson all on the schedule, the wilson is a need type of guy. When they're in base personel, Wilson is strong and fast enough to matchup with these hybrid players. He'll replace the slb and allow the texans to stay base so that a team like the browns don't start running the ball down you're throat because u brought in a cb. Good move if its true.

Dancerdog
09-03-2008, 10:31 AM
I am really pleased with the (anticipated) signing of Eugene Wilson. I hope we're looking at him as a safety rather than CB. When we picked up Will Demps last year, he became a very pleasant surprise. I've got a good feeling about this move. He certainly has the credentials after starting for the Patriots in the Super Bowl, and the stats I have seen. Good move, Rick Smith!

Mailman
09-03-2008, 10:32 AM
This is a move I talked about in Coveted Castoffs thread. Wilson is a package player. In todays nfl, there are numerous Y- flex tight ends. The Y-flex te is the guy that can be flexed away from the formation to create mismatches. That guy is a vertical threat. The problem is with this guy is he's to strong for a corner and to fast for a lb. Top that off, if you go nickel, the team wil power run on you. This is why big nickelis so important or 3 safety package. Looking at clark,crumpler,k2, heap, olson all on the schedule, the wilson is a need type of guy. When they're in base personel, Wilson is strong and fast enough to matchup with these hybrid players. He'll replace the slb and allow the texans to stay base so that a team like the browns don't start running the ball down you're throat because u brought in a cb. Good move if its true.

Strong post.

nero THE zero
09-03-2008, 10:38 AM

Very informative analysis. I'm not seeing your conclusion though.

Are you saying that he will play S and move to SLB in nickel packages; are you saying he'll play SLB for us (that can't be a possibility); or are you saying he'll play nickel CB for us?

eriadoc
09-03-2008, 10:46 AM

Are you saying that he will play S and move to SLB in nickel packages; are you saying he'll play SLB for us (that can't be a possibility); or are you saying he'll play nickel CB for us?

In a standard nickel, Wilson can replace the SLB as a nickel back, depending on matchups. In a dime look, he can provide a bit of a safety valve against the run, while still being able to match up with a 4th receiver, especially if that receiver is a guy like Dallas Clark.

At least, that's how I interpret it.

Ole Miss Texan
09-03-2008, 10:59 AM
An extra CB or S would replace a LB in a passing situation. Not replace in a sense of a S is now a LB but that there would be 3 true S's and only 2 LB's (as in he wouldn't be playing out of position but would be an extra body to help with coverage).

Ryan
09-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I like this move. We need all the help we can get in the secondary right about now.

False Start
09-03-2008, 11:41 AM
I personally like it when the Texans have to make tough cuts for the 53rd roster spot.

It means we finally have something we never have had before....depth.

Thats what I was going to say. If the guy works out, then hell yeah! With what the Texans have now, it cant hurt.

feebleminded
09-03-2008, 11:46 AM

Excellent post, and I think you are right on. I also think the coaching staff has to be concerned about being spread out in nickel situations and then run on. This was a real problem for us in our run d this preseason. I guess you should expect Wilson to be a little more physical than a Fletcher.

Should be interesting to see if Wilson is any good blitzing out of the slot. (assuming he signs of course). None of our corners (outside of Dunta) have shown a knack for that.

nero THE zero
09-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Should be interesting to see if Wilson is any good blitzing out of the slot. (assuming he signs of course). None of our corners (outside of Dunta) have shown a knack for that.

He does have pretty good sack numbers historically.

Second Honeymoon
09-03-2008, 12:32 PM

because they have competent coaching and a well designed scheme.
they can develop their own talent and can be productive....

...while we have Richard Smith and his abortion of a defense

Silver Oak
09-03-2008, 12:35 PM
because they have competent coaching and a well designed scheme.
they can develop their own talent and can be productive....

...while we have Richard Smith and his abortion of a defense

I believe that makes the 500th post where you directly reference Richard Smith and his great suck.

Well done sir!

Goldensilence
09-03-2008, 12:44 PM
If this signing does happen what will the we have no talent on the defense or we haven't put as much effort into fixing the defense as offense.

Not saying eugene if he's signed will suddenly turn the tide on defense especially our secondary. But you can no longer say Rick Smith isn't putting guys in front of Richard Smith that don't have ability or talent.

I'm starting to think we have to sign players with enough talent to overcome Richard Smith's deficiencies as a coach and coordinator.

leebigeztx
09-03-2008, 12:51 PM

Follow me on this one. The in the box, steve atwater type guy is dead. In the nfl, the safeties needs to be interchangeable.If they're not, teams iso the in the box guy and abuse him. That's what happens to texans when they have brown and earl in the game. Let me paint the scenerio for you. Its 2nd and 8 and cleveland goes base which is 2 backs, 2 receivers and a te. In this down and distance, they normally flex K2 out like a slot guy. in this down and distance and formation th team decided to bring in a cb. Now they have great optionss because u just removed the slb and brought in a smaller cb to play K2, but now Jamal can run against a nickel defense. What Wilson allows you to do is have a bigger stronger guy on K2, but he's also a guy that can peel off and make as stop in the run game.

If you haven't noticed and really I has been going on, teams are drafting matchup safeties early. Teams are drafting safeties with corner skills to matchup with Gates,K2,Shockey,Clark, Crupler,, Witten, and even our own Daniels. That's why you see Landry,Reed, Hough,Whitner, Allen, Merriweather, Troy P and guys like that drafted high and getting paid at a premium rate. The Y-flex Tightend is a problem for teams trying to matchup with them. Some cal it Big Nickel or 3 safety package. That's also why John Lynch and Roy Williams types are obselete now. They can't cover these type of players and really put your defense in a bind.

nero THE zero
09-03-2008, 01:06 PM
I see what you're saying Lee.

I wonder if that's what the Texans were/are trying to get out of Brandon Harrison.

feebleminded
09-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I see what you're saying Lee.

I wonder if that's what the Texans were/are trying to get out of Brandon Harrison.

I think that is what they were trying to get out of Boulware at the beginning of last season.

GlassHalfFull
09-03-2008, 01:44 PM
PFT has it as a done deal.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/03/wilson-joins-the-texans/

On a day that a running back who swipes luggage reportedly is visiting the Houston Texans, the Texans reportedly have signed a guy whom they hope will snag a different kind of leather.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, the Texans have signed veteran defensive back Eugene Wilson.

Wilson began his career with the Patriots, spending five seasons in New England and winning two Super Bowls. He started 15 regular-season games as a rookie in 2003, 14 in 2004, and 16 in 2005.

He signed with the Buccaneers as a free agent, but Tampa recently cut him.

In Houston, Wilson has agreed to a one-year deal, possibly for the veteran minimum.

beerlover
09-03-2008, 01:54 PM
brings experience, depth & versatility. see him nickle packages, special teams & FS rotation :cool:

Hookem Horns
09-03-2008, 01:58 PM
My only concern is this guy couldn't beat out Phillip (oops just let me get out of your way) Buchanon.

Has P Buc really turned the corner to where he can start opposite of Rhonde Barber in a deep secondary?

Errant Hothy
09-03-2008, 01:59 PM
PFT has it as a done deal.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/03/wilson-joins-the-texans/

Schefter is usually pretty reliable.

I'd be ecstatic if the contract was for the vet minimum.

TexanSam
09-03-2008, 02:01 PM
My only concern is this guy couldn't beat out Phillip (oops just let me get out of your way) Buchanon.

Has P Buc really turned the corner to where he can start opposite of Rhonde Barber in a deep secondary?

Apparently he has. I remember reading some articles last year on the improvement he made after going to Tampa. It even mentioned that he was not afraid to tackle...

Mr teX
09-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Excellent post, and I think you are right on. I also think the coaching staff has to be concerned about being spread out in nickel situations and then run on. This was a real problem for us in our run d this preseason. I guess you should expect Wilson to be a little more physical than a Fletcher.

none of our corners except Dunta have the speed for that......Anyway i'm not concerned with his blitz stats, we need this guy to be able to cover .....& for god's sake hope he can react & play the ball in the air better than Reeves.

HOU-TEX
09-03-2008, 02:09 PM

It might have more to do with the type of defensive scheme than actual talent. IMO, it takes a CB with more talent and speed to play man than a zone coverage.

Didn't the Pats use more man coverage than zone?

The other example that comes to mind (other than Pburnt) is Jason David. He played very well with the Colts (who use primarily zone), but flopped with the Saints (who run more man).

My .02 FWIW :cool:

PHAROAH
09-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I think that bringing wilson is a very good move this guy has plenty of starting experience at the safety position and we need better talent in the secondary than what we have now.

ObsiWan
09-03-2008, 02:55 PM

If he didn't tackle under Gruden, he's be gone by now. "Chuckie" don't tolerate wusses.
The thing about the Tampa 2 is that CBs don't have play M2M quite as often (as we have our guys doing) and you usually have help from your safeties.

[wait for iiiiit....]
hmmm, could this be another indication where our D.C. couldn't get production from a guy and yet some other coaching staff could...?
okay, okay, no more snipes @ Richard Smith

....for now

Ole Miss Texan
09-03-2008, 03:00 PM

There's been a few posts already on why Buchanon has done well in Tampa and not in Houston. The same goes for players that excel on certain teams and then flop on others. Many times you can't just plug players in here and there, you have to draft/sign those players that fit what your doing. It's the same concept with Corners as it is with Offensive Linemen. You might have an ALL-Pro probowl Left Tackle in his prime on a team that uses, say a power blocking type of style but he would completely flop here in Houston with a cutblocking ZBS.

gary
09-03-2008, 03:35 PM
When Donta comes back where do you all think they'll play Wilson?

Specnatz
09-03-2008, 03:42 PM
When Donta comes back where do you all think they'll play Wilson?

It could mean he will playing in the street.

El Tejano
09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Let us not also forget that this guy comes from a team/secondary that did pretty well against Peyton Manning in the past.

gary
09-03-2008, 03:59 PM
It could mean he will playing in the street.Doubt it.

infantrycak
09-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I think that bringing wilson is a very good move this guy has plenty of starting experience at the safety position and we need better talent in the secondary than what we have now.

Yeah--not sure why folks are talking so much about the CB position. The great majority of Wilson's starting experience is at free safety. He pretty much only played CB in NE because of injuries there which as some will remember were so bad they had WR Brown playing CB as well.

HOU-TEX
09-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Yeah--not sure why folks are talking so much about the CB position. The great majority of Wilson's starting experience is at free safety. He pretty much only played CB in NE because of injuries there which as some will remember were so bad they had WR Brown playing CB as well.

Not that this means one way or the other, but:

Wilson will be a corner for the Texans. Currently they have Jacques Reeves and Fred Bennett as their starters with DeMarcus Faggins as the nickel and rookie Antwaun Molden available to chip in. Faggins had a good camp after a miserable 2007 season.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-4-17/Wilson-helps-Texans-with-depth-in-secondary.html

leebigeztx
09-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Just because a guy couldn't beat out another guy doesn't mean he can't play. In NE, they play a lot of 4 deep or quarters. In philly, samuel will play 3 deep behind the fire zzone. Oak and Balt play man to man, bump and run with a single high safety. Jason David has taught teams that u can't take a cover 2 corner and expectt him to play bump and run. Just like Kerse was used to gettng up the field and appliying pressure, but he goess to philly and have to drop into zones. Wilson is a dallas clark- alge crumpler matchup safety. Anyone that has the texans know that the the Y- flex tight has given them problems.

Polo
09-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Not that this means one way or the other, but:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-4-17/Wilson-helps-Texans-with-depth-in-secondary.html

I see Wilson as a corner for us too....

I think that makes the secondary stronger as a whole..

alphajoker
09-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Just saw on NFLN that he just signed for 1yr...anyone else see this?

ObsiWan
09-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Eugene Wilson = Von Hutchins 2.0

mexican_texan
09-03-2008, 07:35 PM

He actually has. It goes to show you how good a coach Monte Kiffin is. He's not the same player we had here, though he still shows some Jason David-type weaknesses at times.

mexican_texan
09-03-2008, 07:36 PM
I think he'll be a smarter, less-athletic version.

ArlingtonTexan
09-03-2008, 07:36 PM

and actually more accomplished...in his post practice quotes Kubiak used the word nickle back and that's probably accurate more than either CB or FS talk

TexansLucky13
09-03-2008, 07:44 PM

I liked Von Hutchins.

Rex King
09-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I liked Von Hutchins.

Me too. I thought they should have re-signed him instead of going after Reeves, mostly for his versatility. I hope Jaques proves me wrong.

kiwitexansfan
09-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Like the success or failure of a majority of NFL players it all comes down to the matchup between talent, skillset, opportunity and scheme.

Only time will tell whether he will be a good fit in our system.

I think that the two recent moves for Wilson and McClover shows that the FO sees the teams weakness the same place that most of us do (secondary and pass rush). I like the proactive approach to getting things done.

If this was 2006 I'd be giddy about getting Wilson.

kiwitexansfan
09-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Just saw on NFLN that he just signed for 1yr...anyone else see this?

Official site (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4594)confirming a one year deal to be the Nickel.

steelbtexan
09-03-2008, 10:14 PM
I like db's that have had success against the Mannings & Roethlisbergers of the world in the playoffs. How many of our current db's can say that?

Great pick up Smithiak

I wanted to pick him up in FA.

I cant believe we got him for the vet. min.

False Start
09-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Its good to hear he chose us over the Titans. :cool:

Kaiser Toro
09-03-2008, 10:32 PM
He actually has. It goes to show you how good a coach Monte Kiffin is.

or how bad Hoke is.

rollinstone18
09-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Sunday can't get here any sooner.

:texflag:

steelbtexan
09-03-2008, 11:39 PM
or how bad Hoke is.

Agreed

I don't see why Hoke gets all of the love on this board.

The secondary has been one of the worst in the league since the teams inception.

Apparently Smithiak agrees with me because they brought in R. Rhodes to try to help the secondary improve.

kiwitexansfan
09-04-2008, 04:00 AM
Agreed

I don't see why Hoke gets all of the love on this board.

The secondary has been one of the worst in the league since the teams inception.

Apparently Smithiak agrees with me because they brought in R. Rhodes to try to help the secondary improve.

Even Hoke can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

People complain about lack of investment on the OL, same could be said of the secondary. Apart from Dunta have we spent a first day pick back there?

I always believe you got to invest in real TALENT back there because they are out on an island and if they mess up its 7 points.

beerlover
09-04-2008, 04:11 AM
Even Hoke can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

People complain about lack of investment on the OL, same could be said of the secondary. Apart from Dunta have we spent a first day pick back there?

I always believe you got to invest in real TALENT back there because they are out on an island and if they mess up its 7 points.

listen Rick Smith targeted two very good young cb's each of his first two years as GM I don't care what rd. they were taken, it really doesn't matter its how they adapt, grow & develop @ the next level. too much is made about the expenditure of high picks in the secondary, with one exception......Safety. here I'm going to view that position the same as they view RB......by committee & if a gem falls into our laps then jump on it. the first 5 years is what killed the Texans with only Dunta grading out to the next level.

threetoedpete
09-04-2008, 05:16 AM

reaching a bit here...so taking it further, what does that say about their faith in Revees ? Willson's another guy who is "interchangeable" . I was clinging to the hope that Revees had someone's seal of approval on him and not just a twenty Million dollar hail Mary. That there was in fact some hint of a prospect in someones opinion that there was a small margin for improvement playing CB. My knee Jerk : with Wilson's signing, if he was signed as CB insurance, that they, as a group , are now of the opinion there is not. Looks like we got two nickel backs. One of whom is manning a corner for us. All of this is not good for Molden. They're going to want to rush the lad out there. And the young man needs time.

bigbrewster2000
09-04-2008, 10:57 AM
reaching a bit here...so taking it further, what does that say about their faith in Revees ? Willson's another guy who is "interchangeable" . was clinging to the hope that Revees had someone's seal of approval on him and not just a twenty Million dollar hail Mary. That there was in fact some hint of a prospect in someones opinion that there was a small margin for improvement playing CB. My knee Jerk : with Wilson's signing, if he was signed as CB insurance, that they, as a group , are now of the opinion there is not. Looks like we got two nickel backs. One of whom is manning a corner for us. All of this is not good for Molden. They're going to want to rush the lad out there. And the young man needs time.

he's only 4 mil gauranteed so if he sux its not a big hit on the cap:twocents:

Mr teX
09-04-2008, 11:16 AM
reaching a bit here...so taking it further, what does that say about their faith in Revees ? Willson's another guy who is "interchangeable" . I was clinging to the hope that Revees had someone's seal of approval on him and not just a twenty Million dollar hail Mary. That there was in fact some hint of a prospect in someones opinion that there was a small margin for improvement playing CB. My knee Jerk : with Wilson's signing, if he was signed as CB insurance, that they, as a group , are now of the opinion there is not. Looks like we got two nickel backs. One of whom is manning a corner for us. All of this is not good for Molden. They're going to want to rush the lad out there. And the young man needs time.

I told u about that bum reeves.... I just didn't think it was a good idea to bring the kid in if his best quality was his make up speed. It either means a: you're getting beat enough times for teams to pick up on that or b. you can catch someone if they break a long one. neither of which is something you want to see your starting cb doing regularly.

badboy
09-04-2008, 12:59 PM
If WIlson can equal our free safety nomination to pro bowl alternate, I will be ecstatic. Not sure about moving Demps to SS though.

09-04-2008, 01:02 PM
If WIlson can equal our free safety nomination to pro bowl alternate, I will be ecstatic. Not sure about moving Demps to SS though.

wilson is playing cb for us.

powerfuldragon
09-04-2008, 01:51 PM
eugene is not a name that strikes fear into opponents' souls.

J-Russ
09-04-2008, 05:28 PM
eugene is not a name that strikes fear into opponents' souls.

I don't know about that, but Wilson seems like a pretty fierce name.

http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/film_images/cast_away_movie_Wilson_football.jpg

ooooh, creepy.

btw, Eugene nickname when he was with the Patriots was Geno.