PDA

View Full Version : Frye Cut, Then Re-Signed to PS

ArlingtonTexan
09-02-2008, 06:13 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4587

The Texans have waived tackle Brandon Frye (6-4, 298) from their roster, the team announced today.

Frye was selected by the Texans in the fifth round (163rd overall) of the 2007 NFL draft out of Virginia Tech. He spent the first eight games of his rookie season on the team's practice squad and was promoted to the active roster for the final eight games of the season but remained inactive in each contest.

An athletic player who could play at guard or tackle, Frye was converted from the defensive end position as a freshman at Virginia Tech. He had been listed third on the Texans' depth chart at right tackle behind starter Eric Winston and backup Rashad Butler.

The Texans kept six offensive tackles through Saturday's mandatory cuts that brought the roster down to 53 players. By waiving Frye and previously releasing Cliff Washburn on Sunday, the team now has four tackles remaining: Winston, Butler and left tackles Duane Brown and Ephraim Salaam.

J-Russ
09-02-2008, 06:19 PM
So this move gives us 52 players on the active roster? Perhaps giving us room to sign another RB.

Does Frye still have PS eligibility?

drewmar74
09-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Making room for Tatum Bell?

ArlingtonTexan
09-02-2008, 06:21 PM
So this move gives us 52 players on the active roster? Perhaps giving us room to sign another RB.

Does Frye still have PS eligibility?

He should, i don't remember him being active more than a game or two.

J-Russ
09-02-2008, 06:26 PM
He should, i don't remember him being active more than a game or two.

That good then, hopefully we bring him back if he clear the wavier wire. I like what I saw from him during pre-season, and was hoping he would make the transition to guard, because honestly, I don't think much of Brisel or Studdard at the guard position.

We should let loose one of the WR or that OL from the Cowboys to make room for him.

dalemurphy
09-02-2008, 06:34 PM
That good then, hopefully we bring him back if he clear the wavier wire. I like what I saw from him during pre-season, and was hoping he would make the transition to guard, because honestly, I don't think much of Brisel or Studdard at the guard position.

We should let loose one of the WR or that OL from the Cowboys to make room for him.

I'm begin to lose a little confidence in the management of the team. I can see keeping Salaam over Frye because of the experience, but to keep Studdard over Frye defies logic. Studdard put on a pitiful display at guard all preseason and Frye played pretty darn well at RT, even though they think he's a guard. Really not happy with this one- and when you combine it with cutting Maddox and keep Zgoniga and a couple of other head-scratchers, I'm a little concerned.

Hopefully Frye will go to practice squad but man this move troubles me!

Brandon420tx
09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
NOOOOOOOOO k

I really hope this wasn't to make room for Tatum though.

DiehardChris
09-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Making room for Tatum Bell?

Please, please god NO NO NO

I'm hoping it's a CB... or some other RB.

Thorn
09-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why they kept two wide recievers on the practice squad, but yet no 3rd QB.

barrett
09-02-2008, 06:52 PM
all i can figure is that they are cooking something up. it really doesn't seem to make sense to me.

i wouldn't go so far as to say i'm loosing faith in the management, but i am very curious as to their motivation.

they really roughed me up with the cuts.

maddogmrb
09-02-2008, 07:17 PM
I agree with Dale and Barrett. Some of these cuts/transactions just don't make sense. To me, Frye has more upside than Studdard and Maddox outplayed just about everybody on our DL this preseason. Let's see, how many times has Zgonia's (sp?) name been called on defense? Yep, that would be a big fat zero that I can recall. Add 2 WR and no 3rd QB on the practice squad and I gots to scratch my head and wonder.

:fans:

nunusguy
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm begin to lose a little confidence in the management of the team. I can see keeping Salaam over Frye because of the experience, but to keep Studdard over Frye defies logic. Studdard put on a pitiful display at guard all preseason and Frye played pretty darn well at RT, even though they think he's a guard. Really not happy with this one- and when you combine it with cutting Maddox and keep Zgoniga and a couple of other head-scratchers, I'm a little concerned.
The only conclusion I can draw is that its just plain old fashioned cronyism. And in this case, Kubiak is passing out personal favors at the expense of MY FOOTBALL TEAM, and I don't like it one damn bit.
Kubiak is the one who insisted on bringing in Gibbs and his ZB system and making an organizational commitment to win with that approach. Then he proceeds to sabotage his own plan by releasing an OLineman who clearly epitimizes the athleticism needed in Gibbs system while retaining one
who just as clearly lacks those same athletic skills.

stiff
09-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I am not sold that Bell will be brought it, of course by the time I get done typing this there will probably be news that we will sign him. If we wanted a broken down back why not go after Alexander

I think more likely the Texans will bring in a DB to help with coverage or maybe the pass rush. Except for a shoulder injury Fernando Bryant may help in the secondary until D-Rob gets back. Another interesting player could be Willie Anderson, who was cut by the Bengals. With the Steelers coming up he may be an interesting option. Another option that is probably no chance is Ty Law is still a free agent...

Runner
09-02-2008, 08:10 PM

I'm not losing confidence - I've never thought the team leadership was error free in the first place. :)

This front office/coaching combination is just as capable of making bad moves as good moves. This is no different from anyone else. They've got a decent track record so far, however without a strong winning record in the next couple of years their long term strategy may be open to criticism.

Of course it will be in hindsight by then.

eriadoc
09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Add me to the list of skeptics. This move is low on the impact meter, but it's a (very small) step in the wrong direction, IMO.

Runner
09-02-2008, 08:20 PM
This move is low on the impact meter...

I agree - I forgot to mention that I wasn't worried about this specific move.

They need to start palying the games so we can see where they really are.

ObsiWan
09-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I was big a Frye fan when he got drafted last year - loved his athleticism; thought he'd take one of the guard spots - but he disappointed me. First, he got a twisted ankle in T/C (hell, it might have been during OTAs) so he fell behind in reps. Then when we were having all those injuries at the end of the year, he never stepped up like Brisiel did at guard.

soooo.... it could be as simple as Frye could never could crack the dress-out lineup and just maybe, this new guy, Stenavich, had more upside - don't know, never seen him. So it made more sense to put him (Stenavich) on the practice squad rather than let Frye sit on the P/S for yet another year when his improvement was marginal.

Also, I have a hard time seeing Smithiak fiddle with Gibbs' OL gang w/o Gibbs' blessing. That makes NO sense.

And remember, this squad isn't cast in concrete just yet.
So don't
:panic:.

Buffi2
09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I bet there is a method/reason behind their madness - and it ain't Tatum Bell.

There is something cookin' in the kitchen - we just don't know what it is yet.

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2008, 08:36 PM
While there is confusion about the motivation for these moves on my part also, I possible find a positive sign that Butler's injury is not serious. Of course, if he is, the only explanation I have for these moves is that the Texans are trying to :gun:

Insideop
09-02-2008, 08:37 PM

I too have been a little puzzled about some of their moves but am willing to give them a chance to prove themselves. As far as keeping Studdard over Frye, the only reason I can think of is that Studdard is a pure Guard and Frye is a Tackle that they were going to try at Guard. And, since they were short on Guards, due to Weary, Jackson, and Stevenson all being on IR, and they already had 4 Tackles, they went with the player who had more experience at Guard. I still think Frye will end up on the PS.

As for keeping Zgonina over Maddox, that one really had me stumped, but I think it may have had to do with Zgonina being the backup LS to Pittman. They also had Dreessen listed as the 3rd string LS, but I don't think he has much experience doing it. I think I heard he just learned to do it this year.

Also, why they didn't put Boyd or Brink on the PS has me concerned too. I guess they just felt like rolling the dice with Matt and Sage. Hope they can stay healthy. JMHO!

ObsiWan
09-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I too have been a little puzzled about some of their moves but am willing to give them a chance to prove themselves. As far as keeping Studdard over Frye, the only reason I can think of is that Studdard is a pure Guard and Frye is a Tackle that they were going to try at Guard. And, since they were short on Guards, due to Weary, Jackson, and Stevenson all being on IR, and they already had 4 Tackles, they went with the player who had more experience at Guard. I still think Frye will end up on the PS.

As for keeping Zgonina over Maddox, that one really had me stumped, but I think it may have had to do with Zgonina being the backup LS to Pittman. They also had Dreessen listed as the 3rd string LS, but I don't think he has much experience doing it. I think I heard he just learned to do it this year.

Also, why they didn't put Boyd or Brink on the PS has me concerned too. I guess they just felt like rolling the dice with Matt and Sage. Hope they can stay healthy. JMHO!

I like your logic. I also think Frye was found lacking as a tackle and due to his injury last year, is a year behind in his conversion to guard.
Also, Boyd is out of P/S eligibility.
Brink is gutty but doesn't have big-time arm strength, IMHO.
I think a QB will show up on the P/S before too much longer. They just can't go for too long wearing out their only two QBs in practice.

AustinJB
09-02-2008, 08:56 PM
The only conclusion I can draw is that its just plain old fashioned cronyism. And in this case, Kubiak is passing out personal favors at the expense of MY FOOTBALL TEAM, and I don't like it one damn bit.
Kubiak is the one who insisted on bringing in Gibbs and his ZB system and making an organizational commitment to win with that approach. Then he proceeds to sabotage his own plan by releasing an OLineman who clearly epitimizes the athleticism needed in Gibbs system while retaining one
who just as clearly lacks those same athletic skills.

Really?! :spit: That is the only conclusion you can draw?!

Well, I for one, completely agree. I mean, it couldn't be that the people in charge of our football operations actually know a little more than us. :sarcasm:

While I'm not a huge Studdard fan, and I don't completely understand the move, I'll give it a little time before I pass judgement. I seriously doubt that Kubiak brought in Gibbs and completely ignores his opinions on the OL. :twocents:

tsip
09-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Kubiak has said it often--he likes Studdard and believes he's done well. Anywho. he doesn't play his 3rd string qbs so why bother keeping them 0n the roster? Too, we don't try to sc0re much the first part of the season with anyone, so why bother.

TEXANRED
09-02-2008, 09:31 PM
This is not surprising to me at all. The only thing that is surprising is that he was not part of the Saturday cuts. I keep hearing you guys talk about his athleticism and how he was better than Studdard. IIRC Studdard saw playing time last year while Frye couldn't beat our Jordan Black for playing time.

And I love how some are starting to hint at favoritism as to why Frye is cut and not Studdard.

The Bi-Polar disorder is starting to show as the collective personalities of our fan base come together for the season opener. First Kubes is an Aggie and hates anything orange. Now Kubiak is partial to Texas teams and loves UT.

Frye was a blip on the radar and nothing more.

Honoring Earl 34
09-02-2008, 09:36 PM
We'll see Frye's value soon enough if someone picks him up .

dalemurphy
09-02-2008, 09:49 PM
This is not surprising to me at all. The only thing that is surprising is that he was not part of the Saturday cuts. I keep hearing you guys talk about his athleticism and how he was better than Studdard. IIRC Studdard saw playing time last year while Frye couldn't beat our Jordan Black for playing time.

And I love how some are starting to hint at favoritism as to why Frye is cut and not Studdard.

The Bi-Polar disorder is starting to show as the collective personalities of our fan base come together for the season opener. First Kubes is an Aggie and hates anything orange. Now Kubiak is partial to Texas teams and loves UT.

Frye was a blip on the radar and nothing more.

I dont care about college allegiances one bit, have a reputation as an optimistic fan on these boards, and I am not hinting at favortism, though some have.

I'm just concerned. People with incredible amounts of knowledge still make poor judgements. And, one doesn't have to have as much knowledge as another in order to make a better judgement.

Did you watch Studdard this pre-season? I'm sorry but he was disgustingly awful. He basically whiffs in pass protection every 3rd drop back. And, gets thrown aside at least that much. His arms don't extend out past his belly- which speaks some to his short arms but more to his beer-bonging physique. Meanwhile, Frye played quite well at RT. Outside of Butler, Frye was the most adept lineman this pre-season at cut blocking on the backside of running plays. And, he seemed to play with a bit of a nasty streak. Not only that but it looks like he treats his body with some concern for it and not like a garbage disposal. So, this one is perplexing.

dalemurphy
09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
This cut is reminiscant of last year's trading of Jason Babin. While Babin certainly didn't live up to his draft status, He was a solid pass rusher. You could count on him to get the edge, dip under the tackle and get around the QB. If we still had him on the team, the pass rush would be less of a concern. However, it always seemed that Kubiak was postured against him- perhaps with cause though I just don't know. Similarly, Frye was drafted and came in and immediately Kubiak seemed down on the guy. Though he was an athletic and successful LT in college, they immediately talked about moving him to guard. He seemed frustrated with his injury and then Frye just dropped of his radar. This pre-season, it seemed predetermined that Frye would remain behind Studdard on the depth chart... I just don't know why.

Texan JBZ
09-02-2008, 10:24 PM
As for keeping Zgonina over Maddox, that one really had me stumped, but I think it may have had to do with Zgonina being the backup LS to Pittman.

Naw, I think it has more to do with the fact that Zgonina and Rick Smith played at Purdue together, AND WERE FREAKIN ROOMMATES!!! I didn't like Maddox and Frye being let go. Headscratchers?!? But hey, Petey is still a Texan:cry2:

ArlingtonTexan
09-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like until he was cut, Bradndon Frye was largely an afterthought on this board?

dalemurphy
09-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like until he was cut, Bradndon Frye was largely an afterthought on this board?

Not for me he wasn't. I was enciting heated arguments all summer suggesting that Salaam should be cut before Frye. I thought that other than Butler, Frye was our best olineman this preseason.

barrett
09-02-2008, 11:43 PM
i'll go on record saying that DullMurphy was always a big supporter of Frye. I watched Frye at the first and 3rd preseason game pretty closely and I'll agree that he looked very good. I think more so in the first than 3rd though and that suggests to me that maybe he didn't improve as expected. BUT, there is no doubt in my mind that he looked better TO ME than Kasey Duddard did throughout the entire preseason. So I have a harder time accepting that Frye was worse than Studdard especially (as mentioned) in Gibbs' system.

All I can figure is maybe he was just awful at Guard or something.

Errant Hothy
09-02-2008, 11:55 PM

It's not just you. I mean if Babin is now somehow considered a decent edge rusher anything is possible.

I love how some people think they can form better opinions of certain players from 50 some odd snaps in preseason, when the people who actually make the descision have literally seen 1,000 of snaps from practice and games plus drills. Let's just say I'm glad that Kubiak and Smith run this team.

Fyre was not making the conversion to OG, and is not as good an OT as Brown, Winston, Salaam and Butler.

Errant Hothy
09-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Naw, I think it has more to do with the fact that Zgonina and Rick Smith played at Purdue together, AND WERE FREAKIN ROOMMATES!!! I didn't like Maddox and Frye being let go. Headscratchers?!? But hey, Petey is still a Texan:cry2:

Yeah cause Rick Smith is known for making stupid desicions...right?

dalemurphy
09-03-2008, 12:04 AM
It's not just you. I mean if Babin is now somehow considered a decent edge rusher anything is possible.

I love how some people think they can form better opinions of certain players from 50 some odd snaps in preseason, when the people who actually make the descision have literally seen 1,000 of snaps from practice and games plus drills. Let's just say I'm glad that Kubiak and Smith run this team.

Fyre was not making the conversion to OG, and is not as good an OT as Brown, Winston, Salaam and Butler.

Give me a break! I don't think "i'm concerned" is quite the same thing as claiming that I'd be a better GM than Rick Smith. I love both those guys and am thrilled with them.

By the way, since Frye was never given one snap at guard in the pre-season it might be a little unfair to cut him because he wasn't able to make the conversion. If that was the case then I'm definitely questioning how they handled the situation. He should have been given some snaps at guard in a game situation.

nunusguy
09-03-2008, 06:18 AM
Really?! :spit: That is the only conclusion you can draw?!

Well, I for one, completely agree. I mean, it couldn't be that the people in charge of our football operations actually know a little more than us. :sarcasm:

While I'm not a huge Studdard fan, and I don't completely understand the move, I'll give it a little time before I pass judgement. I seriously doubt that Kubiak brought in Gibbs and completely ignores his opinions on the OL. :twocents:

Keeping Studdard as one of the OLineman on your 53-man roster when you're team employs the ZB system is about as logical as a track coach using a marathon runner as a member of his 400 Meter Sprint Relay team.

Errant Hothy
09-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Give me a break! I don't think "i'm concerned" is quite the same thing as claiming that I'd be a better GM than Rick Smith. I love both those guys and am thrilled with them.

By the way, since Frye was never given one snap at guard in the pre-season it might be a little unfair to cut him because he wasn't able to make the conversion. If that was the case then I'm definitely questioning how they handled the situation. He should have been given some snaps at guard in a game situation.

If he wasn't even given a chance at OG (during a game), and was the 5th best OT on the roster why are you so concerned over him being cut?

Brown and Salaam have the LT position covered, as do Winston and from what I've seen a vastly improved Butler have the RT spot covered what purpose does keeping Frye serve?

HOU-TEX
09-03-2008, 08:50 AM

Hmm, wasn't it you that was barraging me with negative comments over my opinion of Frye's play? Yes, yes I think it was. You actually went and called me a name IIRC. Our little conversation has since been deleted, but has not been forgotten. :thinking:

Oddly enough, it seems Salaam is still here too. Surprise, surprise! :spit:

Kaiser Toro
09-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Keeping Studdard as one of the OLineman on your 53-man roster when you're team employs the ZB system is about as logical as a track coach using a marathon runner as a member of his 400 Meter Sprint Relay team.

I guess I will have to watch the tape again, but I thought Studdard does pretty well getting to the second level. I recall Slaton's first nice run against the Cowboys being sprung by a Studdard block at the second level.

He looks to be a carefree bowling ball out there. Now in the passing game, he was stuck in the gutter way to often.

Specnatz
09-03-2008, 09:38 AM
And in related News on another thread the Texans signed a CB/Safety to take the place of Frye. Holy crap that means Smithiak actually had a plan. Damn It to hell, we are not used to a GM who is two steps ahead. Now if we can just get this "Man the Life Boats" approach out of here everytime a move is made we might actually have turned the corner into positive atmosphere.

:texflag:

Runner
09-03-2008, 09:39 AM
I love how some people think they can form better opinions of certain players from 50 some odd snaps in preseason, when the people who actually make the descision have literally seen 1,000 of snaps from practice and games plus drills.

Strong statement.

Should I take this to mean that you never question a decision any coaching staff or front office makes?

I believe two things.

1) Team leadership can make bad decisions even with the best of intentions. Mistakes occur.

2) Team leadership makes decisions based on many things besides performance. A positive example of this (to me anyway) is bypassing a player for character issues. Some are made for other non-performance issues. Many of these are political in nature and can lead to making decisions that hurt the team on the field. That is the nature of business.

eriadoc
09-03-2008, 09:57 AM

I could name five or six, yeah. Every GM makes good moves and bad moves. It's just part of the game.

Mailman
09-03-2008, 09:58 AM
I guess I will have to watch the tape again, but I thought Studdard does pretty well getting to the second level. I recall Slaton's first nice run against the Cowboys being sprung by a Studdard block at the second level.

He looks to be a carefree bowling ball out there. Now in the passing game, he was stuck in the gutter way to often.

I'm with you, KT. All the pissing and moaning about Studdard following the Cowboys game made me watch the tape of Studdard's play again. While he made some obvious mistakes in pass protection, his run blocking was good. I thought the criticism here was disproportionate to his actual play in the preseason.

cuppacoffee
09-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Strong statement.

Should I take this to mean that you never question a decision any coaching staff or front office makes?

I believe two things.

1) Team leadership can make bad decisions even with the best of intentions. Mistakes occur.

2) Team leadership makes decisions based on many things besides performance. A positive example of this (to me anyway) is bypassing a player for character issues. Some are made for other non-performance issues. Many of these are political in nature and can lead to making decisions that hurt the team on the field. That is the nature of business.

Yeah .. I agree.

Why else would Earl and Walker be cut except they attended Notre Dame. :mad:

Kubiak is biased against my Irish. That explains it. As soon as :money: is not an issue he will probably cut Weaver.

When Stevenson comes off the IR he will probably be cut also.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya....

:jk:

:coffee:

Specnatz
09-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah .. I agree.

Why else would Earl and Walker be cut except they attended Notre Dame. :mad:

Kubiak is biased against my Irish. That explains it. As soon as :money: is not an issue he will probably cut Weaver.

:jk:

I was following you right up until you mentioned Weaver. :thinking:

Texan JBZ
09-03-2008, 10:45 AM

Look, I like Rick Smith, but he's made some mistakes. Chris Brown and Rosevelt Colvin are the two most recent. He'll probably make a few more before he is done, but that doesn't mean I don't think he's not going a good job b/c he is. But letting go of younger, quicker, more attacking DL for an old one who exhibits none of these traits is a mistake. I just think that Zgonina has very little left in his tank. Frye and Studdard are a push, but since Frye may be versatile enough to play both guard and tackle, why not keep him instead?

cuppacoffee
09-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Yeah .. I agree.

Why else would Earl and Walker be cut except they attended Notre Dame.

Kubiak is biased against my Irish. That explains it. As soon as money is not an issue he will probably cut Weaver.

I was following you right up until you mentioned Weaver. :thinking:

Weaver, Anthony DE 6-3 280 Notre Dame

Soon to be ex-player as soon as it's (supposedly) contract friendly to cut him.

Then....no more Irish players on team.

Maybe the four Irish fans on this mb should consider a boycott.:D

BigBull17
09-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Look, I like Rick Smith, but he's made some mistakes. Chris Brown and Rosevelt Colvin are the two most recent. He'll probably make a few more before he is done, but that doesn't mean I don't think he's not going a good job b/c he is. But letting go of younger, quicker, more attacking DL for an old one who exhibits none of these traits is a mistake. I just think that Zgonina has very little left in his tank. Frye and Studdard are a push, but since Frye may be versatile enough to play both guard and tackle, why not keep him instead?

They really arent bad decisions because they werent really tied down to them. Both cost very little to try out and were cuttable. Unlike Weaver, Greenwood, Wade, Walker, Wong, DDW, Payne, ect... Green would be Smiths real boner, but you understand what he was trying to do with him. Just didnt work.

eriadoc
09-03-2008, 11:53 AM
They really arent bad decisions because they werent really tied down to them. Both cost very little to try out and were cuttable. Unlike Weaver, Greenwood, Wade, Walker, Wong, DDW, Payne, ect... Green would be Smiths real boner, but you understand what he was trying to do with him. Just didnt work.

We paid a million dollars to Colvin to come in here and do nothing. That's pretty "tied down", if you ask me. IMO, Colvin's bonus should have at least been tied to making the team. I don't even see how Colvin wouldn't have agreed to that, looking at our roster, if he had any self respect.

Specnatz
09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Weaver, Anthony DE 6-3 280 Notre Dame

Soon to be ex-player as soon as it's (supposedly) contract friendly to cut him.

Then....no more Irish players on team.

Maybe the four Irish fans on this mb should consider a boycott.:D

I was meaning more that Weaver (sucks) is not a dominant player.

ChampionTexan
09-03-2008, 12:31 PM
We paid a million dollars to Colvin to come in here and do nothing. That's pretty "tied down", if you ask me. IMO, Colvin's bonus should have at least been tied to making the team. I don't even see how Colvin wouldn't have agreed to that, looking at our roster, if he had any self respect.

Then it wouldn't be a bonus, it would just be salary. As a vested veteran, his entire annual salary becomes guaranteed if he's on the opening day 53 man roster.

My definition of "Tied down" would be continuing to pay for it next year, and/or being restricted this year because of salary cap concerns. Colvin's bonus doesn't create either of those situations. When you've got a compelling need for additional pressure on the QB, $1 Million doesn't seem like an unreasonable risk to take for the possibility of a solution.

AustinJB
09-03-2008, 03:22 PM

....said the ZB System OL guru. :gun:

Look, I'm not necessarily trying to single you out, but I just find your way of speaking in absolutes a little humorous. Studdard may not turn out to be a Pro-Bowl lineman or anything, but obviously the people in charge (including one of the best OL coaches in the history of the game who perfected the ZB System) seems to think he has more potential than Frye. FWIW, I doubt Frye signs w/ another team and becomes a Pro-Bowl lineman either. Very small potatoes in the grand scheme of things if you ask me.

Okay...carry on with your sky-is-falling, conspiracy theories. :tinfoil:

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Don't look for Charles Spencer to be resigned by the Texans...........3 hours ago, he was signed for 1 year contract on the ACTIVE roster (http://car.scout.com/a.z?s=123&p=9&c=2&cid=786476&nid=3661751&fhn=1), not PS, of the Jags. This should be interesting. I doubt that he could be ready for effective service this soon............for us or any one else. The Jags must be desparate.

cuppacoffee
09-03-2008, 10:00 PM
I was meaning more that Weaver (sucks) is not a dominant player.

You mean he is not wanting to release him just because he is Irish?..:sarcasm:

Ohh...:embarrass

Still.. :jk:

To the topic though..I was kind of suprised at the Frye release. For some reason I thought Kubiak was high on him. Can't keep them all I guess.

ccdude730
09-05-2008, 01:49 AM
The Texans re-signed tackle Brandon Frye to their practice squad Thursday and released defensive tackle Gabe Long from the eight-man group. Frye had remained on the active roster until the team recently added cornerback Eugene Wilson.Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5984507.html)

beerlover
09-05-2008, 02:01 AM
smart move. I thought another team who had tackle issues might have added him to their roster.

ObsiWan
09-05-2008, 05:44 AM
hmmm.... maybe they were "holding a spot" for Spencer. Once he signed on with the Jags, Frye became of interest to us again.

who knows....

...and I'm still thinking this roster isn't quite cast in concrete yet.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2008, 06:59 AM
hmmm.... maybe they were "holding a spot" for Spencer. Once he signed on with the Jags, Frye became of interest to us again.

who knows....

...and I'm still thinking this roster isn't quite cast in concrete yet.

The roster will probably continue to be fluid well into the season. The fact that we have 2 capable active roster QBs and no 3rd active QB or PS QB is a little puzzling to me with all the hooplah that Kubiak made over the importance of that 3rd QB. At least for the moment, it seems that they feel comfortable with the QB status quo more than that of other positions and probably feel that what's out there would be too "raw" to be of any use as an effective PS plugin or backup should there be injury to Schaub and Rosenfels, They may also feel that their PS composition would be better served with other positions that have a better chance for said plugin in case of injuries. It's almost like they are thinking a little more towards a serious run for the playoffs this year and figure that if they loose both primary QBs, they'll need to find an available vet anyway to go anywhere. Makes you wonder what they're thinking, knowing Kubiak's philosophy of bringing up and grooming QBs through the system.

BTW, mods, you may consider changing the name of this thread.

maddogmrb
09-05-2008, 07:47 AM

At this point, unfortunately, I think you can add Bentley and Thompson to that list. Ben Moffitt totally outplayed Bentley this preseason but, we get to keep Bentley...?

dalemurphy
09-05-2008, 08:01 AM
At this point, unfortunately, I think you can add Bentley and Thompson to that list. Ben Moffitt totally outplayed Bentley this preseason but, we get to keep Bentley...?

Can Moffit rush the passer like Thompson? Can Moffit make all the defensive calls like Bentley can and play all 3 LB positions?

You wouldn't end up with a very good team if you simply decided a roster on the pre-season on field performance of each individual. By the way, Coley played better than Demeco Ryans. Would you like Coley on the team instead of Demeco?

Honoring Earl 34
09-05-2008, 09:32 AM

For the record Bentley had more tackles than Moffitt . He also played against 1st and 2nd teamers and he's a proven special teams guy .

Thompson showed flashes of a 250 lb 4.5 forty LB ... when he played . Thompson was brought in here to take Peek's place and he's doing a fine job .

BigBull17
09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Then it wouldn't be a bonus, it would just be salary. As a vested veteran, his entire annual salary becomes guaranteed if he's on the opening day 53 man roster.

My definition of "Tied down" would be continuing to pay for it next year, and/or being restricted this year because of salary cap concerns. Colvin's bonus doesn't create either of those situations. When you've got a compelling need for additional pressure on the QB, $1 Million doesn't seem like an unreasonable risk to take for the possibility of a solution.

Agreed. Unlike alot of our previous boners that are just now coming off of our books. Colvin made very little from us. Brown is still on our cap, so thats a little disappointing, but these things happen. God, arent we still paying for Gary Walker and David Carr? Other teams with proven A+ front offices, the Pats, Colts, Eagles, ect... do what we did with Covin all the time. You try a guy out in camp and cut him when he cant contribute like he should.

kiwitexansfan
09-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Glad to hear that Frye made it onto the PS. I still have hopes that he will be a quality contributor for us in the near future.