47 games
525 attempts
2524 yards
4.8 ypc
68 long
14 TDs
7 Fumbles
5 Lost

Scouts Inc. Bell has average size but excellent athletic ability. He shows good speed and burst to and through the hole and has to ability to rip off long-gainers. He has above-average in-line run skills and is a one-cut, slashing runner. He is explosive bouncing off-tackle plays to the perimeter and can also explode through the second level. He has just average wiggle in traffic and doesn't create often when blocking breaks down. Bell is not an instinctive ball carrier and has had to learn patience. He isn't physical enough on contact to move the pile but has improved his physicality as a pass-blocker. He is a solid receiver out of the backfield and creates mismatches against most linebackers. Needs to work on his ball security as he has been known to lose concentration at times and put the ball on the ground. Bell a chance to be the featured back in a more run-oriented offense in 2008, but it remains to be seen how well he will bounce back from an injury that ended his 2007 season after just five games.

What do you guys think about giving him a shot? His most productive season was 2006 when he rushed for 1,025 but only 2 TDs. I think he would be a fit but dont know who we would release.

Hagar
09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Career
47 games
525 attempts
2524 yards
4.8 ypc
68 long
14 TDs
7 Fumbles
5 Lost

Scouts Inc.

What do you guys think about giving him a shot? His most productive season was 2006 when he rushed for 1,025 but only 2 TDs. I think he would be a fit but dont know who we would release.We'll give him a call after Green gets hurt in the first game.

Hervoyel
09-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Career
47 games
525 attempts
2524 yards
4.8 ypc
68 long
14 TDs
7 Fumbles
5 Lost

Scouts Inc.

What do you guys think about giving him a shot? His most productive season was 2006 when he rushed for 1,025 but only 2 TDs. I think he would be a fit but dont know who we would release.

I'd already have him in for a tryout to gauge what kind of shape he's in. He was in camp with Detroit and they cut him but that doesn't mean anything. When was the last time anyone really believed that the Lions had clue one about personnel?

ArlingtonTexan
09-02-2008, 10:36 PM
per profootballtalk.com

RUDI’S CRAZY DAY IN DETROIT
Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2008, 9:17 p.m. EDT
A strange thing happened to running back Rudi Johnson when he visited with the Detroit Lions on Monday.

Someone stole his stuff.

Seriously.

Specifically, and as we’re told by a reliable source (i.e., not the person who told Mort that Joey Harrington had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Monday, or the person who told John Clayton that Todd Bouman had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Tuesday), Johnson left his bags outside CEO Matt Millen’s office while he met with team officials and, ultimately, worked out a deal with the team.

So when Johnson came back to get his bags, they were nowhere to be found. Johnson and Millen were stumped.

Enter the eye in the sky.

The team checked the videotapes generated by the team’s in-house surveillance system, and they quickly identified the culprit.

So who might it have been? None other than Tatum Bell, who lost his gig with the Lions after Rudi arrived.

Per the source, Bell took the bags to the house of a female acquaintance. When confronted on the matter, Bell offered up some cockamamie story that he thought the bags belonged to someone he knew. The girl, however, said that she hadn’t seen Bell in several months and he showed up out of the blue and asked her to keep the bags for a while.

Johnson has retrieved the bags, and it’s our understanding that charges won’t be pressed.

Tatum apparently didn’t know that he was being monitored.

Fortunately, the displaced running back wasn’t Najeh Davenport.

b0ng
09-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Tatum Bell, you have stolen my heart.

Hervoyel
09-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Well I guess my previous post on this thread can be disregarded. He might have experience in this offense but he's also apparently a turd. Scratch one Tatum Bell.

Kaiser Toro
09-02-2008, 11:39 PM
I really like this Tatum fella'. He's got charm.

steelbtexan
09-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Kinda like O.J. in the old Hertz commercials

GO TATUM GO

Wolf
09-03-2008, 12:26 AM
I wished he would have stolen my recording tracks"

signed,
James allen

Specnatz
09-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Well I guess my previous post on this thread can be disregarded. He might have experience in this offense but he's also apparently a turd. Scratch one Tatum Bell.

I really like this Tatum fella'. He's got charm.

LOL what in the hell is going through the guys head. If he gets another job in the NFL I will be shocked.

GlassHalfFull
09-03-2008, 09:49 AM
LOL what in the hell is going through the guys head. If he gets another job in the NFL I will be shocked.

Seems like the Cowgirls might want to take a look at him. Or possibly the Bengals.

Ole Miss Texan
09-03-2008, 10:34 AM
So I went to check out profootballtalk.com b/c that story of Bell stealing the bags certainly couldn't be true and found this...

BELL TO VISIT THE TEXANS
Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2008, 10:21 a.m. EDT
Running back Tatum Bell, whose pilfering of Rudi Johnson’s bags ranks just beneath the Najeh Davenport hamper incident as one of the funniest NFL stories we’ve ever heard, reportedly will visit with the Houston Texans. (Taco Bill has chimed in with his interpretation of Bell’s next career.)

The fit is obvious — Bell previously played in Denver, and the Texans are emulating the Broncos’ attack, with former Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak now the head coach in Houston and former Broncos offensive line coach Alex Gibbs out of retirement to run the same system for the Texans.

The Texans currently have Ahman Green, Chris Taylor, and Steve Slaton at the top of the depth chart. If Bell were to sign, Green could be in trouble, even though he recently reduced his base salary from $3.8 million to $1.8 million.

If he’s smart, Bell won’t leave his stuff laying around where Ahman might see it.

Then again, if Bell were smart, he wouldn’t have bogarted Rudi’s bags.

I think this is a good move. Not sure who I would cut to keep him... or even if I would in the first place, but I suspect they are bringing him in to just take a look at him, his condition, see where his heads at, buy some of Rudi's belongings, and keep him in the back of our head if he's still available during the season. As mentioned, if Green gets injured we're stuck with Taylor and a slightly injured Slaton. Smart move to look.

gtexan02
09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
ugh, I would much rather keep Ahman than Tatum Bell. I would rather keep Walker than both of them

leebigeztx
09-03-2008, 10:55 AM
If that's true about bell, then that's sad to see. I actually think he's a good 225 carry back. He can break long runs, he's not the toughest runner inside, but he can go at anytime. I still think he will be brought in for a look and signed after the 1st game. Teams do that so they don't have to guarantee the contract.

beerlover
09-03-2008, 11:11 AM
what are the odds this thread gets moved back Texanstalk section? :gun:

Gibbs coached him, enough said.

Kaiser Toro
09-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Former Lions running back Tatum Bell flew to Houston to try out with the Texans. The attraction is that his former line coach with the Denver Broncos, Alex Gibbs , is now an assistant head coach in charge of offense with the Texans.

Here are Bell's final words before leaving the Lions:

"I had a good camp. I was pretty much solid and was consistent but it did not translate in the game for me. ... This is no hard feelings. I am going to go out and work."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080903/SPORTS0101/809030335/1004

ChampionTexan
09-03-2008, 11:24 AM
From a performance standpoint, I think he's probably okay, but if healthy (Yeah - I know), I still think Green's better, and if Green's not healthy, I don't think Bell warrants reducing Taylor's role. If he's just depth after Taylor, then I don't think there's anyone on the roster that I would waive to add him.

As far as the luggage stealing thing goes, it's absolutely a character concern if this guy would stoop to doing something like that, but it's even more of an intelligence concern if it even occurred to him that doing something like that would ensure his roster spot with the Lions. Sounds exactly like something George Costanza would do. "Elaine - Steinbrenner's interviewing my replacement, but if you'll stash these suitcases for me, he won't have any clothes, and he can't work if he's naked".

nero THE zero
09-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Could this mean bad things for Slaton's turf toe? Or maybe a just-in-case

texanfan2002114
09-03-2008, 11:39 AM

Insurance for A.Green. If Green goes down then that means there is no vet. presence in the backfield and I think Gibbs and Kubes like having a vet in the backfield.

Texecutioner
09-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Well all the Texans have right now is a banged up Amaan Green who might or might not be ready for the season, and will get hurt at some point even if he is. We have a young Slaton who should be pretty good, but won't be an every down back. Then we have Taylor who will also be at FB as well. Not exactly a running trio to be real excited about.

I wouldn't mind the Texans signing Bell. He played pretty well and had his best season in a RB committee in Denver like two years ago and is obviously familiar with Gibb's system, so I think that he could help the team some.

Personally, if we had Slaton playing well and Tatum Bell playing like he did in Denver two years ago which is certainly possible, I think adding Dayne back to the bunch wouldn't be a bad idea at all because then you have two scat backs that should be able to get you some yards and Ron Dayne for short yardage situations and possibly to punish other team's defenses at the end of games when defenses get a little tired. I would feel a little bit better about our running game with Slaton, Green, and Tatum Bell back there.

Polo
09-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Ron Dayne ?

Texecutioner
09-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Ron Dayne ?

I hated Ron Dayne more than anyone, but if we were to have Slaton, Tatum Bell, and Green, then Dayne could be your 4th guy in the rotation used for short yardage situations and to be a bruiser. If you have 3 scat back types like that, it would be nice to have one pound runner to compliment them.

Polo
09-03-2008, 11:53 AM
So you're suggesting we replace Chris Taylor with Tatum Bell and then bring Ron Dayne back ?

I'll pass.

I don't see how that makes our running game better...

HOU-TEX
09-03-2008, 12:00 PM
So you're suggesting we replace Chris Taylor with Tatum Bell and then bring Ron Dayne back ?

I'll pass.

I agree. Everyone seems to think Dayne's good at short yardage. Well, he's not. Just because he's a fat ass doesn't mean he's a mauler. He couldn't be further from it.

I say we leave it like it is for now and let the cards play out. :texflag:

Texecutioner
09-03-2008, 12:00 PM

I'll pass.

What in the world has Chris Taylor ever done to give you so much confidence in him? At least Tatum Bell has had some sort of success in his career and more importantly with Gibbs as well. Tatum Bell posted over 1,000 yards in a committee system while sharing carries with another back. Yeah, he was definitely a product of Denver's system, but we have the same system and the same guy running it. Has Taylor ever even posted a 100 yard game? If he has, I know he hasn't gotten more than one, so I fail to see why he would have any more value at all over Tatum Bell right now.

Polo
09-03-2008, 12:02 PM
What in the world has Chris Taylor ever done to give you so much confidence in him? At least Tatum Bell has had some sort of success in his career and more importantly with Gibbs as well. Tatum Bell posted over 1,000 yards in a committee system while sharing carries with another back. Yeah, he was definitely a product of Denver's system, but we have the same system and the same guy running it. Has Taylor ever even posted a 100 yard game? If he has, I know he hasn't gotten more than one, so I fail to see why he would have any more value at all over Tatum Bell right now.

For one...He's our back-up full back...

Past that, your same argument can be used for any back that once had some success but has now been cut...

What's so special about Tatum that he's become this "must have" back?

Texecutioner
09-03-2008, 12:09 PM
For one...He's our back-up full back...

Well you do have a point there, and I thought about that as well. I never said that we should cut Taylor, but I guess if we brought in two more backs we'd have no choice.

As far as a runner though, I'd be more confident in Bell since I've seen him have success with Gibbs in the past. I'd feel a lot better about our running game with Green, Slaton, and Bell. Bell knows the route of the one cut and go, and he's proven that in the past. As far as RB goes, Taylor hasn't proven anything, and who really knows how good of a FB he can be any way. I think Tatum Bell is the best guy the Texans have looked at in this off season between Mike Bell, SHipp, and some of the others we had interviews with. I'd really like him as our 3rd string back for this year any way.

Polo
09-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Well you do have a point there, and I thought about that as well. I never said that we should cut Taylor, but I guess if we brought in two more backs we'd have no choice.

As far as a runner though, I'd be more confident in Bell since I've seen him have success with Gibbs in the past. I'd feel a lot better about our running game with Green, Slaton, and Bell. Bell knows the route of the one cut and go, and he's proven that in the past. As far as RB goes, Taylor hasn't proven anything, and who really knows how good of a FB he can be any way. I think Tatum Bell is the best guy the Texans have looked at in this off season between Mike Bell, SHipp, and some of the others we had interviews with. I'd really like him as our 3rd string back for this year any way.

I'm not against the team bringing in Bell...

At the same time I don't think he's a player to be coveted either...

I'd rather Slaton get more carries vs. bringing in another mouth to feed..

DiehardChris
09-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

HoustonFrog
09-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Seems like the Cowgirls might want to take a look at him. Or possibly the Bengals.

Wow, another criminal post. Looks like there has been more arrests here lately.:smiliedance:..LOL

This guy seems always banged up and now is an asshat. No way.

Texecutioner
09-03-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm not against the team bringing in Bell...

At the same time I don't think he's a player to be coveted either...

I'd rather Slaton get more carries vs. bringing in another mouth to feed..

I definitely rather Slaton get more carries as well, and he will. The thing is though, that you know Green is going to go down at some point or the other question is whether he'll even be ready for the season opener at all? I don't mind Tatum Bell being behind Slaton at all though assuming he could have similar success like he did in 2006, which I think is certainly possible. Remember, he didn't go to Detroit and get a Gazillion touches wearing his body down or anything and he is still a pretty young back, so his body should be fine.

Now if Green is out, then it's basically Taylor toting the rock with Slaton and he won't be able to play FB much either, so then we get a little bit more thin at FB as well.

Polo
09-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Sounds to me that it'd make more sense to cut Green.

Texecutioner
09-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Sounds to me that it'd make more sense to cut Green.

Ditto there partner! I totally agree, but we both know that they're not.

JWarren14
09-03-2008, 12:44 PM
The Texans have waived tackle Brandon Frye (6-4, 298) from their roster, the team announced today.

The Texans kept six offensive tackles through Saturday's mandatory cuts that brought the roster down to 53 players. By waiving Frye and previously releasing Cliff Washburn on Sunday, the team now has four tackles remaining: Winston, Butler and left tackles Duane Brown and Ephraim Salaam.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4587

Does this indicate we may sign Bell? Are we at 52 now since we waived Frye? Not sure.

HoustonFrog
09-03-2008, 12:45 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4587

Does this indicate we may sign Bell? Are we at 52 now since we waived Frye? Not sure.

I think Frye was waived to accomodate Eugene Wilson...another thread.

bah007
09-03-2008, 12:48 PM
I think Frye was waived to accomodate Eugene Wilson...another thread.

Fixed ya' Frog

Brando
09-03-2008, 12:48 PM
I think Frye was waived to accomodate Eugene Bell...another thread.

Is he a hybrid type player?

A Eugene Wilson/Tatum Bell type player who can play DB and RB? We need more guys like that!

j/k:)

euro-Texan
09-03-2008, 12:51 PM
NFL Radio on Sirius was reporting that When Rudy Johnson went in to meet with the GM for the Lions, he left his bags out side the door. When he returned they were gone. When the security tapes were reviewed they showed Bell taking Johnson's bags. They also reported that he took the bags to a female friends house to hold. Then they mentioned Bell was meeting with the Texans and a bunch of jokes about bell stealing from our locker room. Has anyone else heard this?

HoustonFrog
09-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Fixed ya' Frog

Thanks. I'm a moron today...alot of days.:)

Is he a hybrid type player?

A Eugene Wilson/Tatum Bell type player who can play DB and RB? We need more guys like that!

j/k:)

Exactly....we need a RB and a cover guy so this guy covers both with less cap space...only takes one slot. A better version of Troy Brown but a RB. :)

leebigeztx
09-03-2008, 01:21 PM
People are downplaying the turf toe by slaton, but that's a serious injury for a veteran and especially a rookie. That's ligament damage on the pushoff that every player needs for explosion. Ogden had it, eddie george had it and prime time had it to. Bringing in Bell makes sense because he knows the playbook, protection and schemes. If he signs today, he'll be ready for sunday.

ChampionTexan
09-03-2008, 01:23 PM

Bell has never played with Gibbs. Gibbs was gone by the time Denver drafted him, although Kubes was there for a couple of years, and obviously Bell is familiar with the system.

Bell was inactive for the Lions for the last 10 games of the season last year. Rudi Johnson is a washed up injury-prone RB, yet they decided he was better than Bell. Don't want him, hope they leave that luggage stealin', trade asking, Offensive Coordinator hatin' guy out on the streets.

Second Honeymoon
09-03-2008, 01:30 PM
If the Texans know about the whole 'stolen bags' thing and are still talking with them, I have lost a lot of faith in our team's leadership and vision.

I don't mind a few guys with a little 'thug' in them or maybe with some mistakes in their past, bad family background, etc.....but this whole stealing thing just rubs me the wrong way.

who does Tatum think he is? why the hell is a guy who has made good money in the league resort to stealing other people's belongings, much less a fellow running back and NFL alum. Just embarassing for this guy and his family.

It's obvious this guy is dumb as a stump and its quite obvious that we don't need guys like this on our team. I would rather have just about anyone other than this guy....

Just an embarassing human being....we may need him but we don't need him that bad.

Sal Rosenberg
09-03-2008, 01:31 PM
If the Texans know about the whole 'stolen bags' thing and are still talking with them, I have lost a lot of faith in our team's leadership and vision.

I don't mind a few guys with a little 'thug' in them or maybe with some mistakes in their past, bad family background, etc.....but this whole stealing thing just rubs me the wrong way.

who does Tatum think he is? why the hell is a guy who has made good money in the league resort to stealing other people's belongings, much less a fellow running back and NFL alum. Just embarassing for this guy and his family.

It's obvious this guy is dumb as a stump and its quite obvious that we don't need guys like this on our team. I would rather have just about anyone other than this guy....

Just an embarassing human being....we may need him but we don't need him that bad.

Sad but True

aj.
09-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Fans wondering what the next roster move might be should continue to expect the signing of a running back/fullback - where the Texans currently have only 4 bodies on the 53 and one of them couldn't make it through his first carry of preseason - and the release of a defensive lineman where the Texans have 11 players on the 53. If there are any areas on the team seeking equilibrium, it's those two.

I'm not a fan of Bell, especially if this knucklehead move he made on Rudi is true.

Texans Pride
09-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Bring him in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he can help the team, great, keep him.

If he can't, cut him!!!

I don't care if he stole a bag and ran to his girlfriends house, maybe he can steal the rock and carry it to the endzone.

LET'S DEVELOP A RUNNING GAME!

When this team has so many players that can carry a full game, then we can start being picky....until then, beggers can't be choosers (and yes, we are beggers).

aj.
09-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Dear Santa, I want a RB to pair with Slaton - no later than Round 2 next year.

Texans Pride
09-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Dear Santa, I want a RB to pair with Slaton - no later than Round 2 next year.

AJ,

You know you have to sit on Santa's lap in order for your wish list to be filled, right?

Second Honeymoon
09-03-2008, 01:45 PM
AJ,

You know you have to sit on Santa's lap in order for your wish list to be filled, right?

didn't you get the memo. you don't need to spend early picks on Running Backs to find productive guys in their vaunted 'system'.....oh and I am still waiting for any semblance of a running game to appear. maybe the 'system' is broke.

i always heard you didn't need OL to be drafted early to succeed in our 'system' but then we go out and draft an LT in the 1st Round and passing on a guy who has what it takes to be a good RB in this league (Mendenhall)

dont get me wrong. Brown looks pretty good in his limited time with the Texans but this seeming reluctance to draft RBs is kinda confounding and it isn't working to this point. I sure hope it works because if it doesnt, Kubiak, Gibbs, Smith, and maybe even Rick Smith need to find a new job.

here is to hoping that all of that becomes water under the bridge and we finally show the capability to run the ball in 2008. GO TEXANS!

aj.
09-03-2008, 01:46 PM
AJ,

Um... no....unless she looks like this (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Pfh1XJO1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg):

I usually just give him beer. That seems to work quite well.

Ole Miss Texan
09-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Kind of ironic he gave back the luggage but still has the "baggage"....:)

Ole Miss Texan
09-03-2008, 01:51 PM
AJ,
Um... no....unless she looks like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Pfh1XJO1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

She'll sit in aj's lap and they'll talk about the first thing that pops up...

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2008, 01:53 PM
If this all happened and was confirmed (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/09/the_great_bag_caper_turns_out.html)last night, you wonder if the Texans are not deterred by this occurence. Maybe we'll find out that the Texans were really behind this because Johnson dissed them , and that Bell has agreed to act as the "fall guy."::secret:

A source close to the situation confirmed that it did happen. Whether it was a prank or misunderstanding or something else, that has yet to be determined, but Johnson was "pretty miffed'' according to the source.

Lions president Matt Millen and Johnson, who had been meeting in Millen's office, searched all over the building for the bag. When they couldn't find it, Millen offered Johnson several hundred dollars to tide him over until they could figure out what happened to the bag. As the PFT story indicates, they finally found out what happened and recovered the bag.

An interesting twist is that, earlier on Monday, Bell and Johnson had a good conversation about the city of Detroit, the team, practice schedules, etc. According to the source, though, that was before Bell "put two and two together'' about Johnson's presence in Detroit.

Specnatz
09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
didn't you get the memo. you don't need to spend early picks on Running Backs to find productive guys in their vaunted 'system'.....oh and I am still waiting for any semblance of a running game to appear. maybe the 'system' is broke.

i always heard you didn't need OL to be drafted early to succeed in our 'system' but then we go out and draft an LT in the 1st Round and passing on a guy who has what it takes to be a good RB in this league (Mendenhall)

dont get me wrong. Brown looks pretty good in his limited time with the Texans but this seeming reluctance to draft RBs is kinda confounding and it isn't working to this point. I sure hope it works because if it doesnt, Kubiak, Gibbs, Smith, and maybe even Rick Smith need to find a new job.

here is to hoping that all of that becomes water under the bridge and we finally show the capability to run the ball in 2008. GO TEXANS!

As far as drafting or not drafting a RB early on was more of you do not need to take one in the top 10 of the draft like where we were drafting. Mendenhall would be ridding the pine right now for Kubiak with all the fumbles. As far as reluctance to draft a runningback is an obserd point of view. The team had no passh rush had one decent corner and a bunch of sucky ones who (IMO) are not really even nickel CB, they are maybe worth keeping for dime packages but that is pushing it. At the time Kubiak got here we had no LB worth a darn and the safetys were a huge question mark. Oline was not that good. The team had no depth what so ever and we had one WR. Green was signed as a stop gap, which unfortunately has not really panned out, so that they team could try and focus on improving the team for the trenches out. Smith and Kubiak know full well that the offense is predicated on having a running game, but it is also predicated on having a line that will not get the QB killed and able to open holes for the runningback and that is why Brown was drafted.

You like flashy, I get that and if it is not a player that you wanted you have a hard time grasping that said player is and was a better option than the player you wanted. You hardly ever have anything positive to say about any of the coaches or the players unless it is the guy you wanted. Look at the roster and see who is still here since Smithiak took over the C&C crappy drafting factory.

ChampionTexan
09-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Fans wondering what the next roster move might be should continue to expect the signing of a running back/fullback - where the Texans currently have only 4 bodies on the 53 and one of them couldn't make it through his first carry of preseason - and the release of a defensive lineman where the Texans have 11 players on the 53. If there are any areas on the team seeking equilibrium, it's those two.

I'm not a fan of Bell, especially if this knucklehead move he made on Rudi is true.

I don't know why everybody is assuming it's a given they're going to add another RB. Sure, if they find someone they think makes them better, they'll add him, but if you look at last year's stats, there were only two games where more than 2 RB's got carries, and that was Adimchinobi Echemandu getting all of 2 carries each time it happened (for this purpose, RB excludes the Fullbacks). There was more than one game where only one RB had any carries. This included 6 games where Green was active - 4 of which he started and couldn't finish. What this means is even with Green, Taylor, and Slaton, one of them can expect to see essentially no action as it is, and all that a fourth would do is take up one of the non-active spots every week. So the idea that Kubes and Co. is sitting in their offices worrying about not having enough RB's is absurd. They may be thinking they can improve the group, but considering they've got Walker on the PS, and they can always add a second RB to go with him, the idea that they're desperate to add another RB just to increase depth doesn't strike me as valid. If there's currently injuries (ie: Slaton being hurt worse than they've indicated), that changes, but for now my guess is that if they add an RB, they'll also waive an RB.

GlassHalfFull
09-03-2008, 02:53 PM
PFT has this take on the situation.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/03/bell-to-visit-the-texans/

Running back Tatum Bell, whose pilfering of Rudi Johnson’s bags ranks just beneath the Najeh Davenport hamper incident as one of the funniest NFL stories we’ve ever heard, reportedly will visit with the Houston Texans. (Taco Bill has chimed in with his interpretation of Bell’s next career.)

The fit is obvious — Bell previously played in Denver, and the Texans are emulating the Broncos’ attack, with former Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak now the head coach in Houston and former Broncos offensive line coach Alex Gibbs out of retirement to run the same system for the Texans.

The Texans currently have Ahman Green, Chris Taylor, and Steve Slaton at the top of the depth chart. If Bell were to sign, Green could be in trouble, even though he recently reduced his base salary from $3.8 million to $1.8 million.

If he’s smart, Bell won’t leave his stuff laying around where Ahman might see it.

Kaiser Toro
09-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Tatum Bell - the Carryburglar

http://www.dnxmarketing.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/hamburglar.gif

beerlover
09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
the Texans have probably just found out about the alleged incident, I'm sure they where thinking more along the lines of this http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/dr_z/10/17/running.backs/p1_bell_mike.jpg

anyways if anyone is to blame its probably me I just added Chris Taylor to my bench thinking he was going to see more action now looks like back to reserve role IF they can address his (Tatum) personel issues & still live with themselves, Bell is a more proven commodity :pirate:

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Might as well change the Title of this thread...............610 radio reports that the Texans ARE NOT WORKING OUT BELL..............reason?...............your guess is as good as mine.

Xetuoh1836
09-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Could be the news reports coming out and Rudi Johnsons reaction to the events:

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/sports-30/1220467154295090.xml&storylist=newsmichigan

I don't think any team will touch a cancer in their locker room like this guy! You don't steal from your mates (or anyone else for that matter!).

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2008, 03:35 PM
An interesting piece from Detroit 3 hours ago (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008809030335):

Bell tries Texans

Former Lions running back Tatum Bell flew to Houston to try out with the Texans. The attraction is that his former line coach with the Denver Broncos, Alex Gibbs , is now an assistant head coach in charge of offense with the Texans.

Here are Bell's final words before leaving the Lions:

"I had a good camp. I was pretty much solid and was consistent but it did not translate in the game for me. ... This is no hard feelings. I am going to go out and work."

Mr teX
09-03-2008, 03:36 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what is with them trying to bring in these injury prone, washed up & never was's? I love what Smithiak have done in turning our team around, but this is 1 experiment that isn't working. This isn't denver. Dayne, Gado, Green, Brown, Shipp... I mean, they need to just let these young guys dive in there & get there feet wet.

PHAROAH
09-03-2008, 03:40 PM
I think that bringing in Bell is a serious sign that Ahman Green isn't fully where he needs to be and the team has no confidence that he will last the entire season. Bring in T. Bell in to backup Steve Slaton because he is clearly the most talented running back on this team and he is a rookie.

chicagotexan2
09-03-2008, 03:41 PM
It looks like Tatum is out of the NFL, but at least he know has the experience to become a baggage handler.

Specnatz
09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Might as well change the Title of this thread...............610 radio reports that the Texans ARE NOT WORKING OUT BELL..............reason?...............your guess is as good as mine.

And we now return you to another rant about the Texans signing a RB to be named later and the overreaction of said reports only to find out they were false. :piano:

texanfan2002114
09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
"(UPDATE: Wednesday, September 3) - Despite all of the denials by Chronicle columnists (ones that will remain nameless) that the Texans would never be interested in RB Tatum Bell, I said yesterday the Texans had already been in contact with Bell's agent. As of this afternoon, Tatum Bell was on a plane and on his way to Houston to try out for Kubiak and the Texans, but hey, what do I know?"

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/08/texans_final_cuts_plus_complet.html

HOU-TEX
09-03-2008, 04:11 PM
"(UPDATE: Wednesday, September 3) - Despite all of the denials by Chronicle columnists (ones that will remain nameless) that the Texans would never be interested in RB Tatum Bell, I said yesterday the Texans had already been in contact with Bell's agent. As of this afternoon, Tatum Bell was on a plane and on his way to Houston to try out for Kubiak and the Texans, but hey, what do I know?"

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/08/texans_final_cuts_plus_complet.html

No offense to you, but this cat is probably the last one I'd believe. He's been full of crap many, many times. IMO, his little blog is a joke.

That said, Bell might be coming in for a looksee, but I'll be damned if I'm taking this guy's word for it.

Vinny
09-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Bell is a more proven commodity :pirate:
yeah, he has proven he is mediocre...at best. At very best. I don't think much of his rb instincts or his running style. I can now officially say I don't think much of his character either.

ArlingtonTexan
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Updates we may be able to a fork in this one...profootballtalk.com

TEXANS AREN’T AND WEREN’T INTERESTED IN BELL
Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2008, 4:44 p.m.
We’re told that the Houston Texans aren’t interested in adding free-agent running back Tatum Bell, contrary to a report from earlier today in the Detroit News.

And while it’s tempting to conclude that the Texans decided not to bring Bell to town based on the allegations that he stole running back Rudi Johnson’s bags on Monday, the truth is that the Texans were never interested.

The thinking is that Bell or his agent concocted the Texans story in order to generate positive buzz — possibly because they knew that plenty of negative buzz was coming.

and Tatum's side of the stolen bags

BELL SAYS “I AIN’T NO THIEF”
Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2008, 3:53 p.m.
Former Lions running back Tatum Bell denies that he stole anything from new Lions running back Rudi Johnson.

“I ain’t no thief,” Bell told the Detroit Free Press in a phone interview regarding Johnson’s contention that Bell stole two bags while Johnson visited the team facility on Monday. “I ain’t never been one, and I ain’t never going to be one.” (Doesn’t that technically mean he is a thief, he has been one, and he will be one again?)

Bell claims that he thought Johnson’s two Gucci bags belonged to former teammate Victor DeGrate, whom the Lions had released on Saturday. Bell says DeGrate had asked Bell to retrieve his backpack.

“I didn’t have a clue,” Bell said. “I wasn’t thinking or nothing at the time. I just grabbed the backpack and grabbed the other bag. It wasn’t in nobody’s locker or nothing like that. It was just sitting right there by the computers. . . . So I grabbed them and put them in the car.”

Bell claims he took the bags to a friend of DeGrate’s. He later was contacted by the team, and learned there was video of him taking Rudi’s bags.

“I said, ‘If you look on film, I wasn’t in no hurry or nothing. I was just going about my day,’ ” Bell said. “I tried to talk to Rudi yesterday, but he was pretty upset, so I let it go. So now it’s that I’m being a thief. I come to found out that the bags weren’t whose I thought they was. It was just an honest mistake, man.”

So how did the bags come back without the stuff in them?

“I didn’t go in the bags,” Bell said. “I didn’t open up no bags. I don’t have his stuff.”

Johnson maintains otherwise, and he claims that he doesn’t accept Bell’s explanation. “If anybody’s got some Perry Ellis boxers for sale,” Johnson said on Wednesday, “you know where they came from.”

So, apparently, they’ve agreed to disagree.

“I asked [Johnson]. I said, ‘What do I need to do to clear my name?’” Bell said. “I asked the organization, ‘What do I need to do to clear my name? What do I need to do to reimburse Rudi? What can I do to help?’

“But ain’t nobody saying nothing to me. They’re just stuck on the fact that I’m a thief. I’m like, ‘You all know me better than that.’ I ain’t never been in no trouble. You know what I’m saying? I ain’t never, ever, ever been in no situation like this. I’m just trying to clear my name.”

Tatum, the chances of you clearing your name are about the same as you getting another job in the NFL.

Thorn
09-03-2008, 06:07 PM
We should bring him on the team so he can go into the other team's locker romm before halftime and steal their Gatoraide.

leebigeztx
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
His story sounds legit, but who knows

aj.
09-03-2008, 07:08 PM
So the idea that Kubes and Co. is sitting in their offices worrying about not having enough RB's is absurd. .

It's not any more absurd than the idea that Ahman Green can stay healthy. I'd be very surprised if another RB isn't signed by Week 2.

ChampionTexan
09-03-2008, 07:13 PM
It's not any more absurd than the idea that Ahman Green can stay healthy. I'd be very surprised if another RB isn't signed by Week 2.

Please re-read the post and point out the part where it predicts Green stays healthy.

aj.
09-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I read your post.

So you think the Texans are going to go with Taylor, Slaton, Walker and Leach the rest of the year if/when AG goes down?

I feel pretty confident that they are scanning the wires for RB/FB talent. Having 4 RB/FB bodies on your 53 (with one who couldn't run 4 yards without falling down in his only preseason action) ain't normal. The Broncos used to carry 3 FBs on their roster, to help with special teams plus because of the way the Kubiak offense uses the FB. Believe what you want but they are understaffed at RB/FB at the moment.

beerlover
09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
yeah, he has proven he is mediocre...at best. At very best. I don't think much of his rb instincts or his running style. I can now officially say I don't think much of his character either.

true that. only illustrates how desperate they are for a RB (I was refering to was the fact he rushed for over 1,000 yds. in 06) looks like he is ready to carry just about anything & take it to the house :backsout:

gary
09-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Ditto there partner! I totally agree, but we both know that they're not. Instead of him being on the IR cut CB.

GP
09-03-2008, 07:43 PM

What does it matter?

So Kubiak signs another turd RB. Wow!

Here's all we need to know: Our running back situation will continue to SUCK. And I don't even have faith that Kubiak will address this in Round 1 of the next draft. Hell, I thought I read it wrong when I saw we picked Steve Slaton in the 3rd.

I just don't get it. I know we all sit around and play GM...trying to theorize what players would be best and "Here's what I would do"...but there just is not much common sense going on with Kubiak and the running back position. Not a SHRED of sanity.

I don't want to go over the list again. We all know it's littered with no-names and has-beens. We sign a guy, we dump a guy. Repeat step 1. Over and over and over.

I could freaking care less if we sign Tatum Bell. Seriously. Whoever we sign is going to suck because Kubiak's track record with free agent RBs sucks. Not exactly rocket science here.

Oh, and GO TEXANS! :kingkong:

ChampionTexan
09-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I read your post.

So you think the Texans are going to go with Taylor, Slaton, Walker and Leach the rest of the year if/when AG goes down?

I feel pretty confident that they are scanning the wires for RB/FB talent. Having 4 RB/FB bodies on your 53 (with one who couldn't run 4 yards without falling down in his only preseason action) ain't normal. The Broncos used to carry 3 FBs on their roster, to help with special teams plus because of the way the Kubiak offense uses the FB. Believe what you want but they are understaffed at RB/FB at the moment.

As far as going with Taylor, Slaton, Walker and Leach the rest of the year if/when AG goes down, again - I'll refer you back to my post. The final sentence was "If there's currently injuries (ie: Slaton being hurt worse than they've indicated), that changes, but for now my guess is that if they add an RB, they'll also waive an RB". I didn't say they'd keep the same four all year, I just said there wouldn't be a net add. I also didn't say that no set of circumstances could cause them to add one, I just said they aren't worried about it given the current set of circumstances. The one circumstance that would clearly make me change my position is if Taylor got hurt and they lost a RB and a backup FB.

If I'm wrong, I'll be back on this thread to point that out. Hopefully, I can expect the same from you.

Joe Texan
09-03-2008, 07:57 PM
If he could get 15 td's I would let him in a bank vault

leebigeztx
09-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I know people think the rb suck, but over the last 2 yrs, dayne has shown that it can work. To me its about the running game more than the names. The colts avg about 110 ypg, that's a good number to shoot for. It doesn't matter if u need 2 guys to get 60 yds each, as long as they get the job done. One yr in denver, anderson had 1200 yds on 300 carries and bell had 950 on 200 carries. Maybe they don't have a 300 carry guy, but what if 3 guys combined for the same yards? If slaton gets 200 and they sign bell and he gets the same carries and taylor gets 125-150, and they all avg 4 ypc, then we're looking at 2100 yds rushing ttotal. What's wrong with that?

ObsiWan
09-03-2008, 08:22 PM
What does it matter?

Here's all we need to know: Our running back situation will continue to SUCK. And I don't even have faith that Kubiak will address this in Round 1 of the next draft. Hell, I thought I read it wrong when I saw we picked Steve Slaton in the 3rd.

I just don't get it. I know we all sit around and play GM...trying to theorize what players would be best and "Here's what I would do"...but there just is not much common sense going on with Kubiak and the running back position. Not a SHRED of sanity.

I don't want to go over the list again. We all know it's littered with no-names and has-beens. We sign a guy, we dump a guy. Repeat step 1. Over and over and over.

I could freaking care less if we sign Tatum Bell. Seriously. Whoever we sign is going to suck because Kubiak's track record with free agent RBs sucks. Not exactly rocket science here.

we all have our pet peeves.
:foottap:

Yours is that we didn't draft Mendenhall when he fell into our lap

Mine is Richard Smith.

Go Texans

aj.
09-03-2008, 08:50 PM
If I'm wrong, I'll be back on this thread to point that out. Hopefully, I can expect the same from you.

I'm not into the 'I told you so' stuff.

I believe the Texans are understaffed at RB/FB. You called that idea absurd. I think you're wrong. That about sums this up.

Specnatz
09-03-2008, 10:07 PM
What does it matter?

Actually the plan was to have stop gap runningbacks (I.E. Ahman Green/Chris Brown) while the team fixes all the other crap that C&C the crappy drafting factory gave us. Look at the roster and all the turnover. I admit at the time I liked the Green signing because I understood that it was going to be only for 2 years because then the hit would be favorable in releasing without much penalty. The team has been upgtraded in the last three years on DL, LB, CB, and OL through the draft.

It is amazing that we have come so far in a short time after C&C. I would love to upgrade RB but I also look at what they have upgraded and just realize that they will get to the RB next year. If by some reason something is not done next year then I might get highly upset. For now I just pray Green stays healthy.

TEXANRED
09-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Actually the plan was to have stop gap runningbacks (I.E. Ahman Green/Chris Brown) while the team fixes all the other crap that C&C the crappy drafting factory gave us. Look at the roster and all the turnover. I admit at the time I liked the Green signing because I understood that it was going to be only for 2 years because then the hit would be favorable in releasing without much penalty. The team has been upgtraded in the last three years on DL, LB, CB, and OL through the draft.

It is amazing that we have come so far in a short time after C&C. I would love to upgrade RB but I also look at what they have upgraded and just realize that they will get to the RB next year. If by some reason something is not done next year then I might get highly upset. For now I just pray Green stays healthy.

I completely agree with this.

When Kubiak took over we needed a QB, WR, LT, RT, RG, C, RB, both DE's, both DT's, both OLB's, MLB, TE, a CB, and both Safeties.

Now with three drafts in the books we are down to RB, OLB, DE, DT, and S.

So at the start of year 3 we went from needing 18 positional upgrades to just 5. Plus we have depth at some positions.

There are only 7 rounds in the draft.

The rest of the puzzle should be completed in this next draft. A RB or possible DE as our first pick. (unless Peppers doesn't get franchised.)

GP
09-03-2008, 11:21 PM

True. Too much damage to be undone (from the Capers era) for Kubiak to solve all problems in such short time.

However...I am definitely 100% unimpressed with Kubiak's taste in running backs. Steve Slaton is probably the best one he's brought in, and he hasn't even seen a down of real football yet.

As much turnover as we've had at the RB spot, it shows (to me) that somebody somewhere needs to lay off the cognac when identifying our future running backs.

Let's take a look at this year's studs at RB:

1. We have two busted down, injured running backs...one of which is now I.R.d and the other is continuously touted as being "ready to go." How in the world anybody fooled themselves into thinking that these two signings were going to actually pan out is beyond me. But we drink the "Well, they don't break the bank" Kool Aid. Riiiiiigggght.

2. We have Chris Taylor, who showed mediocre promise in the preseason...but he's coming off a pretty major injury and there's some concern about him all the way around.

3. Steve Slaton is a rookie, undersized, BUT...I will say that he was a bargain in the 3rd round. Probably the best option we have, at the moment.

4. That's it. Oh, except there's Darius Walker who got the boot last year, was called back because Kubiak was desperate, then he was PSd, then he was brought up, and now he's back down to the PS again. I understand that Walker might have needed an attitude adjustment the first time he was cut...but the guy has been nails for a guy (Kubiak) who can't seem to decide if Darius is good enough for the active roster or not.

And now, instead of bringing Darius up from the PS to the active roster...to replace Chris Brown...we are reportedly auditioning Tatum Bell who stole a guy's bags.

I guess this is where I get the "Yeah, well...don't you think 'they' know something you don't, and that's why they have Darius on the PS on not on the active roster?" Maybe. But maybe it's just that Kubiak tends to inflate some players' egos and stand by them no matter what and then he tends to keep others pinned down at any cost. For what? I don't know. But the treatment Darius is getting is curious.

And you know when some people are actually BEGGING for Dayne to come back, well...that says it all. Ron Dayne is a guy who can't stick anywhere but Houston, and even when he's here he's hot one play and cold for the next three or twelve. That he (Dayne) is actually the most productive RB we'd had over the past few years (since DD) is sadly hilarious.

Our RB situation has been a wet fart for a loooong time. I can wait one more year, I guess. Not like there's any choice.

GP
09-03-2008, 11:28 PM
I completely agree with this.

When Kubiak took over we needed a QB, WR, LT, RT, RG, C, RB, both DE's, both DT's, both OLB's, MLB, TE, a CB, and both Safeties.

Now with three drafts in the books we are down to RB, OLB, DE, DT, and S.

So at the start of year 3 we went from needing 18 positional upgrades to just 5. Plus we have depth at some positions.

There are only 7 rounds in the draft.

The rest of the puzzle should be completed in this next draft. A RB or possible DE as our first pick. (unless Peppers doesn't get franchised.)

Should be.

Will be interesting to see what we get in the off-season and in the draft.

Kubiak/Shanahan typically do not like to take high-profile, top round running backs. That sort of track record doesn't bode well, does it?

I hope Steve Slaton can shoulder the load.

steelbtexan
09-04-2008, 12:33 AM
If he could get 15 td's I would let him in a bank vault

Agreed

If we signed Bell for the 1st time in Texan history we would have a back capable of taking it to the house & not getting run down from behind.

With Slaton & Bell we now 2 backs that are capable of long TD runs.

With this said I would rather see Smithiak sign Kenton Keith.

Specnatz
09-04-2008, 12:50 AM
True. Too much damage to be undone (from the Capers era) for Kubiak to solve all problems in such short time.

However...I am definitely 100% unimpressed with Kubiak's taste in running backs. Steve Slaton is probably the best one he's brought in, and he hasn't even seen a down of real football yet.

As much turnover as we've had at the RB spot, it shows (to me) that somebody somewhere needs to lay off the cognac when identifying our future running backs.

At least they are not staying idle they are trying to find something that works.

And now, instead of bringing Darius up from the PS to the active roster...to replace Chris Brown...we are reportedly auditioning Tatum Bell who stole a guy's bags.

I doubt the Texans are bringing in Bell after the bag episode. Not there style what so ever.

And you know when some people are actually BEGGING for Dayne to come back, well...that says it all. Ron Dayne is a guy who can't stick anywhere but Houston, and even when he's here he's hot one play and cold for the next three or twelve. That he (Dayne) is actually the most productive RB we'd had over the past few years (since DD) is sadly hilarious.

Our RB situation has been a wet fart for a loooong time. I can wait one more year, I guess. Not like there's any choice.

I get what you are saying but what other options did and do the Texans have. When Kubiak took over no FA was even going to look in our direction unlees it was after a bottle of MadDog 20/20 and a 12 pack of Schaffer. This past year there was one good RB available in FA and he got a semitruck load of cash to sign in Atlanta after that is was a bunch of also rans who got more money than they deserved.

I am not saying your complaints are without merrit but instead of just pissing and moaning offer up another solution another. Tell us what you would have done in hindsight. what runningback did you want them to sign during FA or after the draft. Green was to be that stop gap guy until they could get a younger guy. He was often injured so they signed Brown on the cheap (Bad Move, period) hoping he could play the games Green did not. The Brown one is the only one that made me scratch my head on.

Oh and as far as folks wanting Dayne back I am not sure you should have that as a reflection of Kubiak and Smith but the people who want to see him fail at 1 yard goal-line runs.

LonerATO
09-04-2008, 01:20 AM
I thought we where supposed to be a high character kind of team so we should have no business even entertaining a thief. Oh and can we just drop the color scheme and use our Cerberus of Slaton/Walker/Taylor.

threetoedpete
09-04-2008, 05:51 AM
I thought we where supposed to be a high character kind of team so we should have no business even entertaining a thief. Oh and can we just drop the color scheme and use our Cerberus of Slaton/Walker/Taylor.

Well whether ship is maned by buggering Pirates or Baptist....if the ship is sinking...the ship is sinking. Someone better start bailing and stop strutting around giddy about how squeaky clean we are. I'm with GP on this one, unless they are tapped out of cap Dollars...the only thing Bell can do for this franchise, IMHO, is be a door jam for Mr. McNair's office or sell beers before the games. There are guys out there. No one said you had to let them date your daughters or ride in the car with them.

Second Honeymoon
09-04-2008, 08:59 AM
everyone talks so bad about the Capers era. our GM sucked big time but who can blame Capers for not winning with a loser like Carr at QB? We at least had a decent defense back then without having spent so many draft picks on it like we have in the past few years. Casserley is and always be a failure and a bum but Capers was a better coach than people give him credit for. He was forced to go to war with Carr as his QB and got very little new talent in the draft because Casserley sucked so bad. Our defensive scheme was so much more effective and if we could have our 2002 defense with this year's offense, we could really be something special.

too bad What Ifs? are make believe.

the current regime better turn things around this season, because their moves lately have left something to be desired.

Mr teX
09-04-2008, 10:00 AM
everyone talks so bad about the Capers era. our GM sucked big time but who can blame Capers for not winning with a loser like Carr at QB? We at least had a decent defense back then without having spent so many draft picks on it like we have in the past few years. Casserley is and always be a failure and a bum but Capers was a better coach than people give him credit for. He was forced to go to war with Carr as his QB and got very little new talent in the draft because Casserley sucked so bad. Our defensive scheme was so much more effective and if we could have our 2002 defense with this year's offense, we could really be something special.

the current regime better turn things around this season, because their

moves lately have left something to be desired.

scheme is only as good as the talent within it & that year we had more proven NFL talent on the roster than we've ever had since then. Glenn, Sharper, Walker, Payne & Coleman all were legit starters & had proven that they belonged in the NFL at least 1 year prior to being made available to us in the expansion draft. As the years have gone on, we've wound up with less of these caliber of players due to injuries or -asserly & co. shipping them off & Dom Capers' defensive scheme looked like garbage. It wound up looking the same when he went to miami & started to deal with some of the same things.

As it stands now, we're not that far from where the 2002 defense finished that year. IMO, were 1 more playmaker away & If Dunta comes back strong & someone emerges even a little on the other side of mario, through FA or the draft we'll likely wind up much better than we were in 2002.... & that success will be long lasting b/c of all the young talent we'd have.

bigbrewster2000
09-04-2008, 11:47 AM
It cracks me up that there was this huge uproar about This supposed signing and the first thing I hear this morning on 1560 is that they asked Kubiak about potentially bringing in Bell and his response was "we are talking with Bell? Thats news to me." They arent bringing the gouy in here. Im happy that we can all stop talking about it now.

See GP the RB sky has not fallen a little bit farther. Its still 15 ft off the ground:cool:

Specnatz
09-04-2008, 12:31 PM

the current regime better turn things around this season, because their moves lately have left something to be desired.

Before Mario was drafted we ranked dead freakin last. What is your definition of decent?

HoustonFrog
09-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Rome was just joking that the Texans were bringing him in and that Texan players were going to come down with new injuries because they were going to have their wallets in their uniform pants and the linemaen will have fanny packs..lol

OzzO
09-04-2008, 12:58 PM
...his response was "we are talking with Bell? Thats news to me." ...

The thread's dead baby, thread's dead.

New rumor.... turn the page.
:deadhorse

:locked:

El Tejano
09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
The thread's dead baby, thread's dead.

New rumor.... turn the page.
:deadhorse

:locked:

Okay, we will just start on TJ Duckett...oh wait!

badboy
09-04-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm starting a rumor that Taylor Dayne is reporting to camp. No wait that is the other Dayne that is reporting.

leebigeztx
09-04-2008, 02:03 PM
When Bell was speculated to come to the texans, I viewed it as adding talent. I view the rb position just I view the rockets power forward spot. If you don't have Duncan,amare, Garnett, then just get 2 or 3 guys that an get what they get. Scola avg 12 ppg and 8 rebs, Landry gets 8ppg and 5 rebs and Hayes gets 4 ppg and 4 rebs which equals 24 ppg and 17 rebs basically cancelling out the pf spot. Had Bell been brought in,, I envisioned 3 guys getting 175 carries, 700 yds and 5 tds which would cancel out LT, Johnson, Peterson or whatever other back the play against. this still might be the plan where Slaton gets 12 carries and 50 yds, Green gets 12 carries and 50 yds, and Taylor is the 4th qt hammer getting 10 carries and 40 yds. That's kinda the new nfl. The rb is going more by committee now because as soon as u give up a lot of money for a back in his mid 20's, he gets hurt and is done. The avg life is 5 good yrs. Now there are exceptions to the rule, but u can lok no further than last yr when Jackson,Johnson, LT, Parker, and most of the top backs were injuredd. Meanwhile,NY used Jacobs,Bradshaw, and another back to lead the 4th rated attack and win the sb.

Mr teX
09-04-2008, 02:22 PM
When Bell was speculated to come to the texans, I viewed it as adding talent. I view the rb position just I view the rockets power forward spot. If you don't have Duncan,amare, Garnett, then just get 2 or 3 guys that an get what they get. Scola avg 12 ppg and 8 rebs, Landry gets 8ppg and 5 rebs and Hayes gets 4 ppg and 4 rebs which equals 24 ppg and 17 rebs basically cancelling out the pf spot. Had Bell been brought in,, I envisioned 3 guys getting 175 carries, 700 yds and 5 tds which would cancel out LT, Johnson, Peterson or whatever other back the play against. this still might be the plan where Slaton gets 12 carries and 50 yds, Green gets 12 carries and 50 yds, and Taylor is the 4th qt hammer getting 10 carries and 40 yds. That's kinda the new nfl. The rb is going more by committee now because as soon as u give up a lot of money for a back in his mid 20's, he gets hurt and is done. The avg life is 5 good yrs. Now there are exceptions to the rule, but u can lok no further than last yr when Jackson,Johnson, LT, Parker, and most of the top backs were injuredd. Meanwhile,NY used Jacobs,Bradshaw, and another back to lead the 4th rated attack and win the sb.

that's a little different though. with the rockets all those guys bring something different.
Green - experience, fairly good hands, solid run skills (if healthy), & the thing that's keeping him as the starter, scheme knowledge.
Taylor - power running & youth
Slaton - elusiveness, speed & youth.
& if we need a "lunch pail" type, we've got Walker on the PS.

I'd say we have our bases covered with those 4. bell wouldn't have brought anything that we don't already have.

leebigeztx
09-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Bell would have taken Green spot and he's very explosive. If Bell gets 175 carries, he's going to get 4+ ypc,, plus he's 5 yrs yonger han green and allows u to cut green and brown. Now u have 27 yrs old, 21 yrs old and a 24 yr old threesome of cheap backs. Although green isn't expensive, he's kinda unreliable from a health stand point. At least Bell can stay on th field.

LonerATO
09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Well whether ship is maned by buggering Pirates or Baptist....if the ship is sinking...the ship is sinking. Someone better start bailing and stop strutting around giddy about how squeaky clean we are. I'm with GP on this one, unless they are tapped out of cap Dollars...the only thing Bell can do for this franchise, IMHO, is be a door jam for Mr. McNair's office or sell beers before the games. There are guys out there. No one said you had to let them date your daughters or ride in the car with them.

I honestly dont care about some of the these guys characters I just want guys who can play and win

cuppacoffee
09-04-2008, 07:49 PM

Turf toe? Wouldn't suprise me if he had a broken leg that our crack team doctors :joker:.haven't been able to diagnose yet..:rolleyes:

:coffee:

dtran04
09-04-2008, 08:03 PM
I'd rather not have a guy that everyone is afraid will steal their stuff. LOL. Can't be too good for locker room chemistry.

BigTimeTexanFan
09-04-2008, 08:07 PM

Since the new regime has been here they have been trying to correct our salary cap issue. You forget that their strategy was to "buy" a defense (i.e. expensive free agents) and draft an offense. The thinking was the defense would keep us in close games while our offense grew. It didn't work because they didn't draft talented offensive players. Our entire team has been worked over and we are just now back to where we have a managable cap. You only have so much wiggle room when you're up against the wall.

steelbtexan
09-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Turf toe? Wouldn't suprise me if he had a broken leg that our crack team doctors :joker:.haven't been able to diagnose yet..:rolleyes:

:coffee:

Sad but true

ObsiWan
09-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Since the new regime has been here they have been trying to correct our salary cap issue. You forget that their strategy was to "buy" a defense (i.e. expensive free agents) and draft an offense. The thinking was the defense would keep us in close games while our offense grew. It didn't work because they didn't draft talented offensive players. Our entire team has been worked over and we are just now back to where we have a managable cap. You only have so much wiggle room when you're up against the wall.

Which was really dumb because they had the core of a decent defense from the expansion draft.
Hell, we haven't had a decent set of CBs since they broke up Marcus Coleman and Aaron Glenn. DeMeco's the first good LB we've had since Sharper left... ...say what you want about Gary Walker or Seth Payne, but have any of our other DT played better than they have?
ooooh... ...don't get me started

Second Honeymoon
09-04-2008, 11:40 PM

salary cap issues can be overcome with franchise tags and transition tags. when was the last time a team lost a really good player due to being over the salary cap? Faneca going to the Jets wasn't a salary cap issue (look at what they paid Big Ben) it was a purely financial issue. Faneca wanted Pro Bowl LT money and the Steelers didn't think he was worth it as an OG. The Jets did. If the Steelers wanted to keep him they could have but it would have cost them financially. Losing players to the cap? it just doesnt happen nowadays.

When the cap first was instituted in the 90s the 49ers and Cowboys lost a lot of talent but those teams were the reason the salary cap was put into place anyway. I am not slamming our Front Office or anything, its a two way street. The owner has to be on board and McNair has made a lot of bad moves tying his wagon to some real freaking losers. All I am saying is that with renegotiations and bonus dollars a competent front office/ownership group can retain and attract quality players. Lets hope Smith does some good work and that McNair has learned from past failures.

anyway, back on topic. I am glad that Bell isn't coming to Houston. I can understand picking up the occassional Broncos castaway all things considered, but a Detroit Lion? and a scumbag to boot? no thanks, i'll pass. NEXT!!

El Tejano
09-05-2008, 03:42 PM
And the horse has officially been.....uh oh.....wait....the horse appears to be getting up. He's now mocking his opponents by pointing towards his chin and dancing.

NBT
09-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Does any else around here besides me think we'er just a tad bit snakebit this year in the RB department?

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Does any else around here besides me think we'er just a tad bit snakebit this year in the RB department?

What do you mean "this year"?

:texflag:

cuppacoffee
09-05-2008, 06:03 PM

The prevailing opinion around here seems to be that the FO keeps putting their hand in the snakes den by signing not too good or oft injured running backs.

If or when Ahman Green and or Chris Taylor go down to injury again I feel this board will erupt.

Slaton is gimpy and our only healthy running back is on the practice squad.

Go figure.

TexansSeminole
09-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Slaton is gimpy and our only healthy running back is on the practice squad.

Go figure.

Why do we have 5 safeties on the roster and only 3 running backs? I understand it is hard to choose between Ferguson, Harrison, and Barber on who to cut but IMO it needs to be done.

Only 3 running backs? Is there any other team in the league with only 3 RBs on the roster? Not to mention the injuries we have sustained ALREADY with those guys.

I just don't get it. It seems like it is inevitable that we will put another RB on the active roster sometime this year, so why not put him there now? Going into Pittsburg with 3 RBs and two of them injured seems stupid IMO.

If you really have to keep all those safeties, then pick a D-lineman, maybe Zgonina.

Activate Darius Walker please.

GP
09-05-2008, 06:30 PM
$10 says Tatum Bell is in a Texans jersey within 2 weeks.

Or, that Darius Walker is brought up from the PS.

Why is there such a stumbling, bumbling, nonsensical approach to our running back situation? It's borderline insanity.

If it's that bad, as head coach I would have an "open house" one weekend and audition any running back who wants a shot to play for the Texans: It'd be Texans Running Back Idol, and I'd sign and release players every 30-minutes until I found a guy who can shoulder the load.

We had Chris Brown for how long before he finally cratered completely a few days ago? Too long. Ahman Green is in the same boat, IMO. Two guys that Kubiak felt would be a key ingredient, and look at 'em...they're exactly what experts said they were: Broken down. This is easily a situation of putting lipstick on a pig, and being told to say it's a beautiful woman whom we should go and kiss.

Shaun Alexander should sue the Texans for lack of consideration.

beerlover
09-05-2008, 06:36 PM

Why is there such a stumbling, bumbling, nonsensical approach to our running back situation? It's borderline insanity.

If it's that bad, as head coach I would have an "open house" one weekend and audition any running back who wants a shot to play for the Texans: It'd be Texans Running Back Idol, and I'd sign and release players every 30-minutes until I found a guy who can shoulder the load.

We had Chris Brown for how long before he finally cratered completely a few days ago? Too long. Ahman Green is in the same boat, IMO. Two guys that Kubiak felt would be a key ingredient, and look at 'em...they're exactly what experts said they were: Broken down. This is easily a situation of putting lipstick on a pig, and being told to say it's a beautiful woman whom we should go and kiss.

I hear ya but lets see what develops. for instance if Chris Taylor goes off for two or three TD's & close to 20 carries for a Franklin my fantasy team would be forever grateful :toast2:

pappy
09-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Well for what it counts for if the Texans sign anyone else it will be after game one when they are not going to be stuck with a guaranteed contract .

Specnatz
09-05-2008, 09:14 PM

I explained it to you, if you care not to read that is your choice.

ChampionTexan
09-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Why do we have 5 safeties on the roster and only 3 running backs? I understand it is hard to choose between Ferguson, Harrison, and Barber on who to cut but IMO it needs to be done.

Only 3 running backs? Is there any other team in the league with only 3 RBs on the roster? Not to mention the injuries we have sustained ALREADY with those guys.

I just don't get it. It seems like it is inevitable that we will put another RB on the active roster sometime this year, so why not put him there now? Going into Pittsburg with 3 RBs and two of them injured seems stupid IMO.

If you really have to keep all those safeties, then pick a D-lineman, maybe Zgonina.

Activate Darius Walker please.

Actually, it's not uncommon at all to only have 3 RB's. As of the latest rosters, Minnesota, San Diego, Dallas, and Cleveland are only carrying 3 (and that's just checking 8 or 10 rosters). I can't give you a source or a link to substantiate this, but I would guess that most of the time when a team is carrying 4 RB's, it's either a special teams reason, or injury reason. For example, right now Denver is carrying 4 backs, but one of them is Ryan Torrain who's out for quite awhile with an injury (I've heard it may be as late as December when he's back).

Last year, we had only 3 RB's on the roster for 14 of the 16 games. We added Walker from the practice squad in late November bringing us to 4 RB's for the first time in '07. Two games later, we put Ahman on the IR, and played out the season with Dayne, Echemandu, and Walker. The difference is that last year we had two FB's, while this year, with Taylor as the backup to Leach, we're down one body for the RB/FB position combined. So if you want to make the argument we're going light on backs, we may be, but it's more likely FB, not RB.

Also, If you go back and check, you'll see that in 14 of the games we played last year, no more than two RB's carried the ball. In at least three games, there was only one RB who had any carries. So the argument could be made that the third back is only insurance anyway, and a 4th would be a waste of a roster spot (unless he's a really good ST player).

With rosters so tight, and with Leach pretty durable to this point, I would think Kubiak loves the luxury of having Taylor as the swing man and not using a roster spot on someone who's exclusively a backup FB. Certainly, I don't see him adding someone (like Walker for instance) just to have another body available.

Obviously, if someone they think can improve this team (from either a RB or a Special Teams standpoint) becomes available, or if injury requires them to, they'll add a back. But I said in another thread, I just don't believe that they'll do it just to add a body/increase depth.

leebigeztx
09-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I still think after the guarantee contract day after game 1, we will see guys come back. i think colvin might come back as well as bell might get signed.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2008, 10:54 PM
According to Bell in an interview with Dan Patrick this morning (transcript just released) (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080905/SPORTS01/80905110/1049):

DP: No truth to the rumor that the Texans have talked to you or you’ve contacted them?

TB: They’ve contacted my agent but after all this has went down the Texans backed out. As of right now there’s no teams interested in Tatum Bell.

Honoring Earl 34
09-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Maybe the Astros will sign him to steal bases .

ObsiWan
09-05-2008, 11:41 PM
According to Bell in an interview with Dan Patrick this morning (transcript just released) (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080905/SPORTS01/80905110/1049):
Quote:
DP: No truth to the rumor that the Texans have talked to you or you’ve contacted them?

TB: They’ve contacted my agent but after all this has went down the Texans backed out. As of right now there’s no teams interested in Tatum Bell.

There, from Bell's own mouth....
hopefully, this rumor is dead and buried

steelbtexan
09-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Bell either majored in criminal justice or english @ Boone Pickens State.

You know with the way things has went down.

LOL

Giant Tiger
09-06-2008, 01:28 AM

Funny, stupid mistakes can cause a team to lose a game. I wonder if this stupid act may cost him his career :crazy:

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
FYI

Victor DeGrate's mother spoke to the Detroit News on Monday and said her son had no involvement in Tatum Bell's taking of Rudi Johnson's bags. Today, Victor DeGrate himself spoke on the matter and reiterated that he had nothing to do with the situation and indirectly said that Bell is basically full of it.

“I just know I had nothing to do with it,” DeGrate said today in a phone interview.

“What he did is his business. Why he said what he said, I don’t know. I can’t do nothing for you or for him as far as that goes.”

“The way I just figure, he got caught up in a jam and that was the best thing going at the time, was to say what he said,” DeGrate said.

“When I left there, I left,” DeGrate said. “I had nothing to do with none of it.”
DeGrate did not leave a backpack behind?

“I had nothing to do with none of it,” DeGrate said.

DeGrate went on to say that he doesn't know who the woman that ended up with the bags is despite Bell saying she is a friend of DeGrate's. Also, DeGrate said he "ain't holding no grudges" against Bell despite being brought into a situation that he allegedly had nothing to do with.

I imagine DeGrate realized that it's time to deny Bell's claims as he has a reputation to protect as well. Bell is already screwed and likely will have a tough time finding a job in the NFL again, but DeGrate did the smart thing of clearing his own name as there's no doubt NFL teams would take note of him being mentioned in this situation.

LINK (http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2008/9/9/610857/victor-degrate-denies-tatu)

b0ng
09-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah, this clown really doesn't want to be on an NFL team right now.

TEXANRED
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Lets put into perspective exactly what happened.

He took the bags of the guy that was there to replace him. OK. And?

Its not like he is Randy McMichael who threw his pregnant girlfriend out of his moving SUV.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if my boss paraded around my replacement at the office before I got canned, if the only thing I do is steal his belongings then we all got out OK.

It could have turned out like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0KIF7i5yIM

ObsiWan
09-09-2008, 10:43 PM
test...

Wolf
09-09-2008, 10:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn-7Ozvnfdc

get this guy to monitor the halls and replace the cake stealer with luggage stealer

ObsiWan
09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn-7Ozvnfdc

get this guy to monitor the halls and replace the cake stealer with luggage stealer

damn some cake.
get him to teach our D some attitude
:)

drewmar74
09-09-2008, 10:50 PM
You know, if our RB's are going to suck, then why not go ahead and make a reality show out of it.

Release everyone but Slaton, then sign Ced Benson, Dookie Davenport, and the luggage thief. They may not run worth a Najeh, but it'll be a lot more entertaining to watch.

Benson passed out in his hotel room with Najeh making a "deposit" in his luggage which Tatum promptly steals. Slaton can only shake his head in disapproval....