PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Ike

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

TexanSam
09-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Pretty windy now here. Some steady rain, not extremely heavy. My internet went down my neighbors wireless is still working so I'm using that for now. Man I hope our power stays on

TEXANS84
09-13-2008, 01:44 AM
Starting to get it in The Woodlands. I hate tall swaying trees.

Andrew6
09-13-2008, 01:44 AM
Thanks man, my mom and my brother were not going to leave but when my Dad passed yesterday they did not need to stay, I think God's timing had something to do with it, I just pray she doesn't lose her house on top of all the other stuff going on. We will find out, I rode out Alicia in that same house with my family when I was 9.

my brother n law had to stay during Katrina b/c his father was real sick. His father died a few days later. They lost everything; Cars, house, etc... His mother was on her way back to the hospital to see her husband in Missisisippi before he passed and was pulled over by an ass of a cop who proceeded to give her crap due to the curfew and ended up giving her a good ole fashioned beating for being out after dark. His mother actually passed not to long ago. Sooooo anyway it can get worse just hopefully a house will be the least of their worrys

ledzeppelin229
09-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Anyone watching Weather Channel? A streaker ran by the camera just a few minutes ago....roommate and I were kind of stunned.

TEXANS84
09-13-2008, 01:53 AM
Anyone watching Weather Channel? A streaker ran by the camera just a few minutes ago....roommate and I were kind of stunned.

Thats awesome! Saw a guy in a bear costume dancing on the seawall earlier on KHOU.

Shaft75
09-13-2008, 02:02 AM
Thanks man, my mom and my brother were not going to leave but when my Dad passed yesterday they did not need to stay, I think God's timing had something to do with it, I just pray she doesn't lose her house on top of all the other stuff going on. We will find out, I rode out Alicia in that same house with my family when I was 9.

Man, sorry to hear about that. Just a bad run. I hope the rest of your family is ok.

I live off of garth and I-10. I really do hope we make it out okay. Eyewall should be here by 3:30.

Man, the winds sure are picking up now. My home is 4 sides brick and pretty good construction. Hopefully it will hold strong.

TexansLucky13
09-13-2008, 02:23 AM

If it was a guy.... nasty. If it was a girl.... was she hot?

:jogger: :tease:

DiehardChris
09-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Thats awesome! Saw a guy in a bear costume dancing on the seawall earlier on KHOU.

Dude I saw that! Did you hear the reporter's comment? He saw the guy was coming towards him and he said "we've had a wild streak of weather here."

LOL

Shaft75
09-13-2008, 02:38 AM
I am on my blackberry right now.

I think my fence is gonna be miles down the road later.

This storm is starting to get brutal in Baytown.

ledzeppelin229
09-13-2008, 02:44 AM
If it was a guy.... nasty. If it was a girl.... was she hot?

:jogger: :tease:

It was a guy...he ran by in the background and we didn't really notice anything...but he circled around and went by in the opposite direction closer to the camera, and it took us a moment to realize he didn't have any clothes on.

It was very brief, fortunately.

eriadoc
09-13-2008, 02:46 AM
My power went out briefly in Katy, but came back on 20 mins later. I had already turned off the PCs, but I have the laptop downstairs with the wireless. DirecTV has been up the whole time, so I have been mainlining the weather channel. Winds are kickin', rain is coming in squalls, and my neighbor's fence took a ride down the road. I will lose power at some point, I'm sure. One thing is for sure - DirecTV rocks.

ledzeppelin229
09-13-2008, 03:00 AM
Good luck everyone....I was going to try and stay awake a little longer for distant observation, but sleep is calling. I'll check back in once I wake up.

texasguy346
09-13-2008, 03:02 AM
posting from my iPhone as we lost power. It's sounding pretty rough out there.

TEXANS84
09-13-2008, 03:08 AM
posting from my iPhone as we lost power. It's sounding pretty rough out there.

Still power in The Woodlands. Lights flickering all night though.

Its getting intense up here with the trees bending. I'm sure I'll be I-phone posting soon.

Malloy
09-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Keep it up guys, kick that cane ass!

About to lock back on the 610 radio thingie, hope they're still running :)

IlliniJen
09-13-2008, 03:27 AM
The worst of it is hitting downtown right now. I can hear it outside, but a red band is supposed to be hitting really soon. Fingers crossed.

kiwitexansfan
09-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Ike's on the front page of NZ's biggest newspaper's website.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10531993

Malloy
09-13-2008, 03:42 AM
CNN Europe just said that the worst is still to come for Houston, meaning that the strongest winds have yet to hit :I

I freaking hate this thing, wish I could be there and help out. I rode out Mitch in 1998 when I lived in Guatemala... not a pretty sight.

Silver Oak
09-13-2008, 03:48 AM
2 hour catnap and back up now.

did anyone else catch Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst put a $100 Billion dollar price tag on this storm? Holy Crap! With what I'm seeing on tv I sorta believe it, but that is a very big number.

Malloy
09-13-2008, 03:55 AM
2 hour catnap and back up now.

did anyone else catch Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst put a $100 Billion dollar price tag on this storm? Holy Crap! With what I'm seeing on tv I sorta believe it, but that is a very big number.

That sounds about right. Infrastructure, industry and housing is so expensive to fix, and theres alot of all three in this area.

FILO_girl
09-13-2008, 04:00 AM
Got me a nap, ready to take on the rest of the night.

Windy and noisy as hell, still got power...it flickers once in awhile. Still have the anemometer....W-NW@ 25mph and gusty. The eyewall has shrunk, looks like we will avoid it out here, that is good news.
Hang tight folks...it'll be daylight pretty soon. Anyone heard about any tornadoes yet?

Silver Oak
09-13-2008, 04:06 AM
they lost Brennan's Restaurant to a fire.

Malloy
09-13-2008, 04:10 AM
Anyone heard about any tornadoes yet?

According to 610, none reported so far. Lets keep it that way.

Thorn
09-13-2008, 04:20 AM
still got electricity, but the lights flicker every now and then. It's windy and howling outside.

Silver Oak
09-13-2008, 04:38 AM
3,000,000 w/o power at 3:30 AM according to KHOU and Centerpoint says it could be several weeks before all get power restored. Wow.

Thorn
09-13-2008, 04:41 AM
frankly, I'm suprised I still have power. it's really storming outside.

Malloy
09-13-2008, 05:02 AM
I know this seems a bit wierd, But I'm about to leave the house to go windsurfing...

Y'all stay safe, keep posting and good luck, only a few more hours left of the hurricane!

TEXANS84
09-13-2008, 05:09 AM
Dammit, looks like the crap is heading my way (more bad stuff). Keep hearing trees cracking, I just dont want one to fall here.

Howling like a mo-fo right now.

Old School
09-13-2008, 05:32 AM
I have been texting my wife all night. Power is still out in Kingwood and the gazebo in the backyard is toast. She says that it sounds like shingles have been ripped off the roof but so far no leaks in the house.
looking at the radar on click 2 they are on the leading side and the worst is yet to come.....

IlliniJen
09-13-2008, 05:32 AM
Holy f-ing shit. My power just went back on. How strange is that? Dunno how long it will last, however. So weird.

texanmojo
09-13-2008, 05:45 AM
Lost power south of Jersey Village just before 4AM. my front door sounds like a kazoo as the wind pounds on it. No damage that I can see as of now. Wind is really crazy...

Using wife's laptop with a verizon card for access. Watching news on laptop to see where the storm is at.

Old School
09-13-2008, 05:48 AM
Well, the sweetgum tree in the back yard just went down and took out part of the fence..
I hate sweetgum trees, as easy as they fall over, it reminds me of our defense last week against Pittsburgh..

Old School
09-13-2008, 06:38 AM
Now the Oak in the backyard is leaning against the garage. That makes tree # 3 in the back...Well, we did want to clear out some of the trees. It looks like Ike is taking care of that for us.

TEXANS84
09-13-2008, 07:35 AM
One tree into house, two on driveway.

Showtime100
09-13-2008, 07:51 AM

Man, Dante. I don't know how to react to that. Extent of the damage?? Cars? Geez, I hope for the best. I feel I'm a universe away (no rain, 10mph wind) yet I'm just 165 miles out. :( :jogger:

Old School
09-13-2008, 08:11 AM

sorry to hear it. I hope the damage is minimal.

kiwitexansfan
09-13-2008, 09:16 AM
sorry to hear about the damage. hope its nothing too serious and your looking after yourself.

austintexanite
09-13-2008, 09:37 AM
I have a cousin who stayed in Spring and haven't heard from him yet. Sorry to hear about all of the damage man, luckily my Godparents and Grandmother got out on Thursday but it doesn't sound too good for the house down in Galena Park.

Showtime100
09-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Just saw the list of folks here at the moment and I don't think any of us live in Houston. Power outage must be massive. They're even streaming the KPRC internet feed on TV here in Austin, I assume for the evacuees but don't know.

Khari
09-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Vinny called me this morning. He's in a house of a family friend. Said he's without power and the neighbors lost their garage.

Señor Stan
09-13-2008, 10:50 AM
The bad news : I'm hearing reports electricity could be out for a couple of weeks.

The good news: A cool front is coming through Sunday night...Lows in the high 50s and highs only about 80. Let's hope that comes through.

Hardcore Texan
09-13-2008, 10:51 AM

I hope all is well with you guys and you are staying safe.

DiapHer
09-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Here are my updates SheTexan didn't lose power until around 11:00 p.m. 4:00 a.m. things were getting really bad. Spoke with her around 7:00 a.m. and her neighbors house behind her was on fire and explosions with sparks flying into her backyard with the high winds. Fire fighters made it on the scene after an hour so she is hoping they were getting it under control but she is extremely frightened and feeling helpless..she got her animals and granddaughter across the street to her other daughters house in case the fire would spread. Structurally, her house isn't having any problems at the moment.

Talked with Vinny from 5:00 a.m.-6:45 he moved in land and was having severe storms last I heard his neighbor lost his garage with a huge blast and it hammered his two cars..otherwise we were making jokes!!

Texan_Bill called at 3:50 a.m. he went to a friends house and ended up without power since 8:00 pm and he said he was sweating his ass off!!! He sounded like he was feeling no pain :thinking: lmao but doing well.

Dean isn't having any problems...tough Marine!!!

Jeff (TexanLee) was having hurricane winds in Jersey village at 6:48 a.m. but they were holding out.

Spoke with Tedc a couple times this morning around 7:00 a.m. he has some leaks in his roof and he couldn't wait to get out with his hardhat on to start cleaning up :tedc: but he and Kat and children were doing fine.

Talked with Hobie around 6:45 a.m. he went out to assess his house and the winds almost took him. His fence is damaged, he said this isn't GOOD!!

Haven't heard from Glasshalfful yet.

~~~~~~~~
I won't be able to give any more updates as I receive them until tomorrow I am headed for Lincoln, Nebraska to take my youngest son to his first Nebraska game!!!!

I will let you know what I know when I get back.

Showtime100
09-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Mayor White is making a statement right now. He's not happy with all the people on the roads and it shows.

[also] White: Use bottled water, if you don't need to bathe, don't bathe. Poor guy seems a little punch drunk.

Old School
09-13-2008, 11:05 AM
.......Talked with Hobie around 6:45 a.m. he went out to assess his house and the winds almost took him......

lol:

Just kidding...I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing well. I hope the fire department was able to contain the fire next to SheTexan's house.

My wife has been sleeping since she was up all last night, hopefully she can get out and ASSess the damage soon.

DiapHer
09-13-2008, 11:09 AM
lol:

Just kidding...I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing well. I hope the fire department was able to contain the fire next to SheTexan's house.

My wife has been sleeping since she was up all last night, hopefully she can get out and ASSess the damage soon.

Thought you might have enjoyed that :hobie:

Hardcore Texan
09-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Here are my updates SheTexan didn't lose power until around 11:00 p.m. 4:00 a.m. things were getting really bad. Spoke with her around 7:00 a.m. and her neighbors house behind her was on fire and explosions with sparks flying into her backyard with the high winds. Fire fighters made it on the scene after an hour so she is hoping they were getting it under control but she is extremely frightened and feeling helpless..she got her animals and granddaughter across the street to her other daughters house in case the fire would spread. Structurally, her house isn't having any problems at the moment.

Talked with Vinny from 5:00 a.m.-6:45 he moved in land and was having severe storms last I heard his neighbor lost his garage with a huge blast and it hammered his two cars..otherwise we were making jokes!!

Texan_Bill called at 3:50 a.m. he went to a friends house and ended up without power since 8:00 pm and he said he was sweating his ass off!!! He sounded like he was feeling no pain :thinking: lmao but doing well.

Dean isn't having any problems...tough Marine!!!

Jeff (TexanLee) was having hurricane winds in Jersey village at 6:48 a.m. but they were holding out.

Spoke with Tedc a couple times this morning around 7:00 a.m. he has some leaks in his roof and he couldn't wait to get out with his hardhat on to start cleaning up :tedc: but he and Kat and children were doing fine.

Talked with Hobie around 6:45 a.m. he went out to assess his house and the winds almost took him. His fence is damaged, he said this isn't GOOD!!

Haven't heard from Glasshalfful yet.

~~~~~~~~
I won't be able to give any more updates as I receive them until tomorrow I am headed for Lincoln, Nebraska to take my youngest son to his first Nebraska game!!!!

Great job Marcie with all the updates.

jaayteetx
09-13-2008, 11:21 AM
http://blogs.chron.com/hurricanes/2008/09/texans_game_postponed_damage_r.html
Just posted this on the other Ike thread for the game.

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Damn...

Showtime100
09-13-2008, 11:38 AM
http://blogs.chron.com/hurricanes/2008/09/texans_game_postponed_damage_r.html
Just posted this on the other Ike thread for the game.

Damn, while I'm glad the Texans game is postponed (selfish TV reasons). I fear the Astros game will be tomorrow (I have tickets but would rather stay away for a number of reasons hurricane-related). Having a game tomorrow in Houston is insane. Let Houstonians get their lives in some sort of order before Monday gets here.

ledzeppelin229
09-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Talked to my mom just a minute ago. She said the wind was pretty rough and split the wax myrtle in the backyard and blew down some of their neighbors fences, and that there is a leak in the roof dripping into the living room. Overall they are fine though.

The dogs were kind of freaking out during the storm and the cat knocked over a glass of water this morning which at first they thought was hurricane related. They're been out of power since they went to bed last night (Guessing around 11pm to midnight, I'm not sure) and their generator decided not to work, but that stuff isn't all that important.

Hervoyel
09-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Fell asleep last night (rain does that to me) and so did my wife. At around 2AM my stepson came into our bedroom to wake us up. He said it was starting to get real out there and he thought we might want to be awake for that. I was not all that pleased because I like to sleep (I'm lazy like that) and stayed up for about half an hour but then went back to bed. Power was off then and I was woken by an enormous "BANG!" that sounded like it went off by my right ear. I started to go out and see what happend but it was... intimidating out there. I decided that whatever was down was down and it would wait until tomorrow.

I went up in the attic above my bedroom but didn't see anything. The reason why was that I couldn't see around the AC unit. Not long after that water started coming through the ceiling of my bedroom. The insulation soaked through and then half the sheetrock came down. This morning I went out and took a look (I've been collecting my new "water feature" in a big trashcan all night and trying not to lose the new wood floors my wife and I put in) and saw that half a pine tree sheered off and landed right on the very end of the roof literally a foot or two from where I was sleeping. If it comes down different then I'm a stain on the mattress.

We've got trees down like crazy, no power, and everybody is ok. I'm good with that. Hope everybody else did alright too.

The GTO is fine. Covered in pine needles but not a scratch on it.

Hervoyel
09-13-2008, 11:50 AM
got to go as I'm using up my wife's laptop battery and don't know when we'll be able to recharge it. I'll get back on later today. Be safe guys.

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Fell asleep last night (rain does that to me) and so did my wife. At around 2AM my stepson came into our bedroom to wake us up. He said it was starting to get real out there and he thought we might want to be awake for that. I was not all that pleased because I like to sleep (I'm lazy like that) and stayed up for about half an hour but then went back to bed. Power was off then and I was woken by an enormous "BANG!" that sounded like it went off by my right ear. I started to go out and see what happend but it was... intimidating out there. I decided that whatever was down was down and it would wait until tomorrow.

I went up in the attic above my bedroom but didn't see anything. The reason why was that I couldn't see around the AC unit. Not long after that water started coming through the ceiling of my bedroom. The insulation soaked through and then half the sheetrock came down. This morning I went out and took a look (I've been collecting my new "water feature" in a big trashcan all night and trying not to lose the new wood floors my wife and I put in) and saw that half a pine tree sheered off and landed right on the very end of the roof literally a foot or two from where I was sleeping. If it comes down different then I'm a stain on the mattress.

We've got trees down like crazy, no power, and everybody is ok. I'm good with that. Hope everybody else did alright too.

That's scary. :(

Glad you're alright!!

Txn_in_Oki
09-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I hope that everyone is doing alright. I talked to my dad and he said trees were down everywhere and that he lost a few shingles off the roof. He sure doesn't sound like it's only a few shingles though. I need to call my mom later when he's not around so I can find out what is really going on. For all I know the freaking roof could have blown off.

I just want to know so I can head down there if I need too. Would be nice if he was being honest. Damn stubborn old people.

Nawzer
09-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Hope all of you guys out there are safe and sound.

Hardcore Texan
09-13-2008, 12:11 PM

Wow, glad you guys are okay.

People that stayed in Anahuac are trying to get down and look at my Mom's house (15 miles south of there towards Smith Point) but they can not get within 5 miles of it, water all over the road. Just saw a report on TWC that 102 MPH winds reported in Anahuac. I got a sinking feeling there may be nothing left. My Mom lives in a mobile home that has been added on/modified and secured but I don't know if it can hold up, on top of that she doesn't have insurance, they could never afford out there on the coast for that type of structure.

TxDavid
09-13-2008, 12:58 PM
No power here, it's been out for about 11 hours. I ran an extension cord off a power inverter plugged into my truck. Working from a laptop and plugged the DSL modem into the power inverter.

Minimal damage here on my end. The back fence is down, as well as the mailbox. Several of my tress parted with their limbs. One limb was so long, it fell parallel to the fence and takes up nearly the entire length of the neighbors yard. No damage to the house or vehicles thank goodness....

OzzO
09-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Looks like the hurricane is falling apart just south of Corsicana. One of the first bands is coming across the DFW metroplex and starting to get some of the gusts and sprinkling of rain in NE Dallas.

I see quite a few are checking in and accounted for - glad to see you're pulling through with minimal issues. God bless.

toronto
09-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Best all of you and hope there is a roll call of sorts....

hope everyone is safe and the damage not too severe...

the pics on CNN suggest it was pretty bad...

:(

J-Russ
09-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Hope everyone is ok and safe.

gtexan02
09-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Checked in wit hmy parents. They've got a wet interior wall... not a good sign. A sizeable limb smahsed the front of their minivan. 2 Neighbors have pine trees laying on their houses. Other than that, everyone's ok.

IlliniJen
09-13-2008, 01:48 PM
I have no house damage, thankfully. I do have power but no cable. I'm truly thankful that I faired so well through this thing. I'm mostly just sleep deprived right now, as I couldn't sleep at all.

I hope everyone else and their loved ones are doing well.

kiwitexansfan
09-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Glad to see people checking in too. Watching coverage on early am tv. It's now declared a federal disaster area. Hope they do a better job helping you out than there previous efforts and also there is plenty of funds available to get things sorted.

Hervoyel
09-13-2008, 04:00 PM
We lost power last night at around 2:30AM I think (After we woke up but before I went back to bed) and we lost water at that time too. We get our water from some MUD up here in Spring and about the same time that our power went out their apparently did too. Water pressure dropped to nothing. We just checked and that's back up. I can work with hot water. I can live without AC and lights (in September, not June or July) but I have to be able to take a shower.

brakos82
09-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Still no power just north of the 290/610 interchange. Just some minor damage and street flooding to the house we're staying in, but I haven't heard anything from Pasadena yet. If anybody hears from SheTex or anybody else from that area, let me know how things look.

I'll only be on for a couple hours when my battery ends up putzing-out on me. I think we'll try to head out towards San Antonio sometime tomorrow if the roads are clear.

Thorn
09-13-2008, 05:44 PM
well, I made it out alive. I still don't have electricty or water, but I'm at work now. So, for the time being, I have connectivity.

Señor Stan
09-13-2008, 06:14 PM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2008/09/12/13006210/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Yikes.

ledzeppelin229
09-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Wow...thats pretty brutal looking.

brakos82
09-13-2008, 06:16 PM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2008/09/12/13006210/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Yikes.
Damn.

Malloy
09-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Just came back home. This has been without a doubt the worst day of my life. I've been away from home for 12 hours in good company, but been unable to enjoy it because of y'all. I hope you're all ok and safe. Please get on top, get in charge and be safe!.

Love y'all!
F.

texasguy346
09-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Minor damage to my fence here in Deer Park. One of our baby oak trees was uprooted & laying on it's side.

Wolf
09-13-2008, 07:20 PM
well more problems.. it is going to be hard pressed for anyone to get generators.. (I work at home depot).. all san antonio stores were out, kerrville,boerne,san angelo,brownwood, marblefalls, del rio stores out of generators ...... only thing I knew was online to get a generator.. kerrville by itself probably could have sold 100-200 generators easily if we had them in stock

For those looking good luck

Wolf
09-13-2008, 07:22 PM
~~~~~~~~

not sure where you live but like my previous post, if you are foing to nebraska and if you are looking for a generator .. up there might be your best bet if you have room in your vehicle for the way back

Wolf
09-13-2008, 07:27 PM
from my understanding home depot store number 6988 (SE military) in san antonio was being used as a hub for the generators .. not sure how many they were getting but imagine they will go fast.. from my knowledge it is first come first serve kinda deal. They are not letting people buy before hand and put on will call

I will repost this on a new thread so people that are actually looking for one to take back to houston , can hopefully find one

1 - SE Military #6988 3111 SE Military
San Antonio, TX 78223
(210)359-7000

eriadoc
09-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Power came back about 30 minutes ago. I lost a section of fence and a couple shrubs. No significant damage to my property, but the folks behind me took some.

Thorn
09-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Power came back about 30 minutes ago. I lost a section of fence and a couple shrubs. No significant damage to my property, but the folks behind me took some.

Where do you live? I'm having to pull a 24 hour work shift, and I'm hoping I have electricity when I get home tomorrow.

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2008, 10:18 PM
well more problems.. it is going to be hard pressed for anyone to get generators.. (I work at home depot).. all san antonio stores were out, kerrville,boerne,san angelo,brownwood, marblefalls, del rio stores out of generators ...... only thing I knew was online to get a generator.. kerrville by itself probably could have sold 100-200 generators easily if we had them in stock

For those looking good luck

Maybe they were sending them to Houston. Like a store to store transfer.

Brando
09-13-2008, 10:28 PM
I haven't heard from my brother since this morning. I know they don't have electricity and no way of charging the cell phone but it still worries me.

Wolf
09-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Maybe they were sending them to Houston. Like a store to store transfer.

yes, kerrville was to get generators last thursday and that shipment go re-routed to Houston area

powerfuldragon
09-13-2008, 10:39 PM
OOooooh...let me know how that works out. I want to know what you had to give up for some cigs.
my innocence.

IlliniJen
09-13-2008, 11:52 PM
my innocence.

Well, it was worth it then.

texasguy346
09-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Power is back on here at my house. I'm finally getting a chance to see some of the aftermath on television. Hopefully more people will get power back as the night goes on.

jaayteetx
09-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Hey, anybody know how Jasper faired? I talked to my mother before the storm hit and she said she was going to hole up at the Ramada inn there but I haven't heard from her since. She doesn't have a cell and I can't reach her on her home phone.

eriadoc
09-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Where do you live? I'm having to pull a 24 hour work shift, and I'm hoping I have electricity when I get home tomorrow.

Katy - basically I-10 @ Fry Rd. The Walmart there was looted and burned this evening, so I spent all night sitting around with my guns, enjoying the A/C.

Señor Stan
09-14-2008, 06:39 AM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2008/09/13/13013043/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Señor Stan
09-14-2008, 07:01 AM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2008/09/13/13009243/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Hardcore Texan
09-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Any word on how hard it is to get gas? My mom and brother want to head back tomorrow. I have hooked them up with a generator and they are bringing extra with them but it won't last past a day or two.

Old School
09-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Our house is still without power in the front part of Kingwood. I think I finally was able to convince my wife today that we should install a standby generator next spring.
When I told her that we can get one tied into the house gas line she was all for it. She didn't like the idea of constantly filling a tank up.

Ryan
09-14-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm afraid i'll be out of power here in Beaumont here for a while because i think they will get Houston first.

Thorn
09-14-2008, 10:40 AM
When I left to come to work at the hosptial yesterday, I didn't have any electricity. Hope I have some when I get home later today.

texasguy346
09-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Our house is still without power in the front part of Kingwood. I think I finally was able to convince my wife today that we should install a standby generator next spring.
When I told her that we can get one tied into the house gas line she was all for it. She didn't like the idea of constantly filling a tank up.

I'm wanting to put one in as well. I think I'll be able to convince my wife the expense is worth it.

axman40
09-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Houston officials have issued a weeklong curfew for the city devastated by Hurricane Ike.Officials announced that a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew would begin Sunday night and last until Saturday. Most of the city has lost electricity, streets are littered with debris, and police are worried about the safety of residents.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5itQvWHYR6G47lBt3K3SSusaWFoSwD936HBU80

Ckw
09-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Sadly my aunt's house (my mom's sister) is totally destroyed. Supposedly it is no longer standing. She lives in Bacliff right on the water.

Thankfully, she and her husband were smart and came to stay at my parent's place.

ledzeppelin229
09-14-2008, 03:59 PM
So far it seems like bad news for Bolivar Peninsula. Read at least one accout of a house on Crystal Beach collapsing and the couple that decided to stay survived by floating away on the staircase. Parents just bought a house in Crystal Beach about a month ago...wondering if its still there.

The really scary thing are the houses that collapsed with people in them and didn't make it out...So many people stayed that it seems pretty much inevitable.

brakos82
09-14-2008, 04:20 PM
I haven't heard from my brother since this morning. I know they don't have electricity and no way of charging the cell phone but it still worries me.

I lost cell service this morning... not sure if it's because the towers' generators are out of fuel or what-not.

Hardcore Texan
09-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Well, I just got some accurate info from my cousin who got down to my mom's house. On top of loosing my dad on thursday, her house is gone. There's a tree through the front door a foot and half in diameter and there was 2-3 ft. of water in the house. My cousin had to scare away a 5 ft. alligator that was hanging around the front door so he could go in a take a look. This whole week has been horrible. If that wasn't enough I don't know how we are going to have a funeral for pop.....this whole thing sucks bigtime. Both vehicles got flooded too, did I mention she couldn't afford home insurance either.....back to being speechless.

Don't know if anyone here knows anyone from Oak Island (also south of Anahuac) but it is gone. Out of a few hundred houses only a few remain, it is total devistation there.

Hardcore Texan
09-14-2008, 05:40 PM
So far it seems like bad news for Bolivar Peninsula. Read at least one accout of a house on Crystal Beach collapsing and the couple that decided to stay survived by floating away on the staircase. Parents just bought a house in Crystal Beach about a month ago...wondering if its still there.

The really scary thing are the houses that collapsed with people in them and didn't make it out...So many people stayed that it seems pretty much inevitable.

Boliar penninsula is devistated, the whole thing, barely anything left from what I have seen on the news and I have heard.

CLTEXAN_FAN
09-14-2008, 05:47 PM

Crystal Beach is gone, My dad has/had a house there. Total devistation, he called the Galveston Chamber of Commerece because he couldnt get the Bolivar CC and was told that there was pretty much nothing left.

Look at the pictures on Yahoo.

I have a house in Crosby and three brothers and parents with houses in Clear Lake that all made it alright with little damage. I will be coming home fron Mississippi this week to chop trees in my yard....good times.

2BCF
09-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Just checking in here. Large oak in backyard is down, but the house is not damaged. Feel fortunate.

We got the power back on a few hours ago(West Houston)...only to lose it once again for awhile. Talk about a downer.
Going through batteries like kleenexes.

Hope to see more of you all back online soon.

Texan_Bill
09-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Still no power or water at 9:00 Monday morning... No sleep. 2 half gallons 1 case of beer gone.. No showers and I smell like ass!! So I came to work - we have power and water here.. Just no showers.

Who wants some company?... :pirate:

Glad to hear so many are doing well, and prayers to those still suffering.

Texan_Bill
09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Some local pics I was able to get with my camers:

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k325/Texan_Bill/Hurrican_Ike/536c6c4be973.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k325/Texan_Bill/Hurrican_Ike/00a2eb96e4b2.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k325/Texan_Bill/Hurrican_Ike/2762f4a7bd2f.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k325/Texan_Bill/Hurrican_Ike/77a25120992a.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k325/Texan_Bill/Hurrican_Ike/0d42885c342b.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k325/Texan_Bill/Hurrican_Ike/2e6891ed5976.jpg

Texan_Bill
09-15-2008, 10:20 AM
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k325/Texan_Bill/Hurrican_Ike/e7f8fe0a408a.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k325/Texan_Bill/Hurrican_Ike/73553a55a2dd.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k325/Texan_Bill/Hurrican_Ike/5c78b0eb3650.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k325/Texan_Bill/Hurrican_Ike/b4e7bd80c194.jpg

drewmar74
09-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Still no power or water at 9:00 Monday morning... No sleep. 2 half gallons 1 case of beer gone.. No showers and I smell like ass!! So I came to work - we have power and water here.. Just no showers.

Who wants some company?... :pirate:

Glad to hear so many are doing well, and prayers to those still suffering.

If you're willing to drive a few hours, we'll spray you down with the garden hose.

Hardcore Texan
09-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Crystal Beach is gone, My dad has/had a house there. Total devistation, he called the Galveston Chamber of Commerece because he couldnt get the Bolivar CC and was told that there was pretty much nothing left.

Look at the pictures on Yahoo.

I have a house in Crosby and three brothers and parents with houses in Clear Lake that all made it alright with little damage. I will be coming home fron Mississippi this week to chop trees in my yard....good times.

Part of Crystal beach is on my mom's property over 20 miles away, the debris field blocks the long drive way and you have to walk up. It was this debris that slammed into my mom's house and busted it open and the surge took over from there. The house is a total loss, my brother's house is a total loss, my mom's truck and brother's car are a total loss.

Texan_Bill
09-15-2008, 10:54 AM
If you're willing to drive a few hours, we'll spray you down with the garden hose.

I appreciate the offer - very much. Unfortunately my parents still have no power and they are officially out of ice. So, I may have to drive around town looking for some... My sister is without power also.

DiapHer
09-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the pictures Bill...you could try a spit bath in the sink!!!

Hardcore how the hell are you holding up..good lord!!!!

Cl good luck with your drive back and clean up good hearing from you.

Texan_Bill
09-15-2008, 11:04 AM

I would need some cold water before I could spit... The word of the day is cotton mouth....

drewmar74
09-15-2008, 11:10 AM

I thought I had dreamed that. Glad to get some affirmation that it did in fact happen.

Hardcore Texan
09-15-2008, 11:19 AM

Hardcore how the hell are you holding up..good lord!!!!

Cl good luck with your drive back and clean up good hearing from you.

Not worth a damn really, a pretty helpless feeling.

Crystal Beach in the video below is about 12-14 miles away or so as the crow flies south from my Mom's house. It is the debris from these house that is scattered all over the propterty. A tree from this area came through her front door where she would have been taking care of my Dad, that's where his hospital was set up at, all compliments of the storm surge.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/weather/2008/09/14/lavandera.ike.crystal.beach.cnn

DiapHer
09-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Paul, where is your mother and brother now?

ATX
09-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Still a mess out there. Not much gas around town from what I hear and the lines to get gas are really long. Lot of people without power still. FEMA screwed this one up too, especially in Galveston and the coastal areas.

Hardcore Texan
09-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Paul, where is your mother and brother now?

Either in Anahuac with relatives or at my mom's house (15 miles south of Anahuac) salvaging all they can from her belongings. I can't get through to them, I have to wait for their phone call if and when they are able to call.

gtexan02
09-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Would your mother have been in that house if your father had not passed?

gtexan02
09-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Here is a slideshow of some of the destruction caused by Ike. There are tons of people who really need help after this. The storm was pretty brutal

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/storm/content/storm/slideshows/2008_storms/ike/

Hardcore Texan
09-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Would your mother have been in that house if your father had not passed?

Yes, in fact where my dad's hospital bed was set up is where the tree came through the front door into the house. My brother and mom would have not left had my dad not passed Thursday morning.

gtexan02
09-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes, in fact where my dad's hospital bed was set up is where the tree came through the front door into the house. My brother and mom would have not left had my dad not passed Thursday morning.

You really have had to endure an absolutely horrible past week. I'm really sorry for your loss. Thats a pretty incredible situation.

2BCF
09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Quote:Originally Posted by ledzeppelin229

I thought I had dreamed that. Glad to get some affirmation that it did in fact happen.

That was TB looking for a shower. :D

For those without any water pressure, your hot water heater should have 40+ gallons of water in it.
At the bottom of the hot water heater is a valve that will drain it. Instructions are usually posted on tank.
I'd still boil it though if you need it for drinking.
Or you could use it to help flush toilets. Just a thought.

ledzeppelin229
09-15-2008, 01:19 PM

It was very real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPCetg-uNHk&feature=related

drewmar74
09-15-2008, 01:46 PM
It was very real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPCetg-uNHk&feature=related

wow

Me, I'd be afraid to endanger my junk like that.

FWIW, I did notice the flashlight pre-streak. I just figured someone was messing with the TWC crew. I had no idea that they were giving the go ahead to the nudie ranger.

We have all utilities, etc. here at the house in Lake Charles. With that said, if we can be of assistance to any one, shoot me a PM.

YellerLotYeller
09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Hi guys....first time i've seen a computer screen in 3 days, but I am at my office in Pearland where there is power. I hope everyone stayed safe. We weathered the storm at our house in Alvin. Rough night to say the least. Tree fell on my fence, lost a chunk of roof(no leaks thank God). We had the storm surge rush in from Chocolate Bayou and flooded us in for the first 24 hrs after the storm hit. Our town of Alvin is in shambles and it feels like there is no help for the people that didnt prepare. I will try to upload some of the pics I took.

Brando
09-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Glad to see everyone's coming back and are okay! I got in touch with my brother and he's doing fine. My moms house almost flooded but it didn't and the big oak tree in the backyard fell away from her house. Please no more hurricanes!

DiapHer
09-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Still a mess out there. Not much gas around town from what I hear and the lines to get gas are really long. Lot of people without power still. FEMA screwed this one up too, especially in Galveston and the coastal areas.

ATX I have a message from SheTexan for you: For one you should have stayed in Austin instead of coming to Houston to gawk at the storm then there would be more gas for the people in need!!!

Second in her opinion living in Pasenda off the ship channel she feels that FEMA has been doing an EXCELLENT job with the current situation they are getting "pods" filled with supplies ect she has nothing but good things to say with how they are handling things...if you are complaining about not having ice then you need greater things to worry about

Texan_Bill
09-15-2008, 02:32 PM
ATX I have a message from SheTexan for you: For one you should have stayed in Austin instead of coming to Houston to gawk at the storm then there would be more gas for the people in need!!!

Second in her opinion living in Pasenda off the ship channel she feels that FEMA has been doing an EXCELLENT job with the current situation they are getting "pods" filled with supplies ect she has nothing but good things to say with how they are handling things...if you are complaining about not having ice then you need greater things to worry about

I need ice. I still have a ton of vodka to drink. J/K

The media frenzy came about by a miscommunication between agencies (The City of Houston and FEMA). They corrected the problem so I am glad folks near the Ship Channel and other areas are getting or starting to get the supplies and help needed...

In the meantime, the media will do what it does - which sucks!!!

DiapHer
09-15-2008, 02:44 PM
I need ice. I still have a ton of vodka to drink. J/K

You better learn how to drink your vodka "neat" or "straight up" :blowakiss:

YellerLotYeller
09-15-2008, 02:46 PM
A few pics I took Saturday.....

http://a817.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/101/l_f07e7980653816322b60d265d846c588.jpg

My Street
http://a906.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/22/l_50b66e3ee8aaf1708779d888452c00f1.jpg

My Backyard(yes that's my neighbor's trampoline)
http://a350.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/34/l_2c98c2aab766d093c6bb71a1454756c5.jpg

http://a860.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/104/l_4cf2db9fa55e29199ba64af6b153086b.jpg

http://a842.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_d8f8efdf4ed3dcd41dfd862e979e21c1.jpg

http://a608.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/l_f4952c73d2d2f1aff3381d0a8160bb3f.jpg

YellerLotYeller
09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
A couple of more....

http://a212.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/71/l_f0674959113c199f8beafb3739c9e0bb.jpg

http://a522.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/58/l_4611c938c44831f5aea83267ed62ac99.jpg

http://a288.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/85/l_074b2b92ce01159401ef22485b14e737.jpg

gtexan02
09-15-2008, 03:04 PM
It sounds like FEMA has been sort of hit or miss. They were slow getting supplies in, but it seems like they've been dispering them well once they got here.

DiapHer
09-15-2008, 03:08 PM
WOW YellowLot devestating pictures...thank you for sharing!!!

Texan_Bill
09-15-2008, 03:09 PM
What part of town are you YellerLotYeller???

Hardcore Texan
09-15-2008, 03:29 PM
What part of town are you YellerLotYeller???

He lives in Alvin

FILO_girl
09-15-2008, 03:47 PM
A few pics I took Saturday.....

http://a817.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/101/l_f07e7980653816322b60d265d846c588.jpg

My Street
http://a906.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/22/l_50b66e3ee8aaf1708779d888452c00f1.jpg

My Backyard(yes that's my neighbor's trampoline)
http://a350.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/34/l_2c98c2aab766d093c6bb71a1454756c5.jpg

http://a860.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/104/l_4cf2db9fa55e29199ba64af6b153086b.jpg

http://a842.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_d8f8efdf4ed3dcd41dfd862e979e21c1.jpg

http://a608.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/l_f4952c73d2d2f1aff3381d0a8160bb3f.jpg

I only see little red x's...

Y'all had a tornado go through too, didn't ya? Doc has been trying since Sunday to contact his friend in Alvin...I have several down there too that I am worried about.

*glad to hear you are OK!*

GuerillaBlack
09-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I have a bunch of pictures (40), but don't feel like posting them because of the posting pictures limit. Too many double posts, and stuff.

Hardcore Texan
09-15-2008, 06:17 PM
I have a bunch of pictures (40), but don't feel like posting them because of the posting pictures limit. Too many double posts, and stuff.

I know this pretty cool poster on the board who is sometimes too lazy to go through the effort of posting pictures and then makes a post to remind us of of the pics we will never see, I would call him out on it and tell y'all his name but I don't really feel like it.

:jk:

GuerillaBlack
09-15-2008, 06:30 PM
;)

I don't know, I'll see. I'll post a few of them:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/2853937976_49c78cdd8e_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3185/2853102721_9f0cb728a5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/2853102603_9e41243d4a_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3082/2853937510_f6bd76c96f_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/2853102215_767e69c766_o.jpg

GuerillaBlack
09-15-2008, 06:31 PM
And some more:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/2853937052_46d1994471_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/2853101439_6f24c61b35_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/2853936392_ca411d6463_o.jpg

Funny on the Chron:

http://contribute.chron.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/13/13/5d22bc15-d04b-4ee7-bdb6-6ef8c1ff7cfd.Large.jpg

GuerillaBlack
09-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Gilchrist, Texas (this could have been Galveston if the storm hadn't jogged to the north):

http://forums.accuweather.com/uploads/post-1296-1221515241.jpg

DiapHer
09-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Gilchrist, Texas (this could have been Galveston if the storm hadn't jogged to the north):

OH MY GOSH, I feel sick after looking at this....

Andrew6
09-15-2008, 08:01 PM
yayyyyyy we have power here in Houston now. We faired ok. only lost power for a couple days, My mother lives in Old Seabrook and her house had some major flooding and a tree on her roof. My brother lives in New Seabrook and only had a hole in the roof. THANK GOD everyone is OK:splits:

TEXANS84
09-15-2008, 08:24 PM
FYI, we made it. Drove to a bar in spring to get out. No power and trees down bad in the woodlands.

Brando
09-15-2008, 08:31 PM

wow. I can just imagine what a storm like that would have done to Corpus Christi, scary stuff.

drewmar74
09-15-2008, 08:35 PM

This looks eerily like like Holly Beach after Rita. What's the difference? There is actually a building left standing.

Texan_Bill
09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Anyway, at some friends house... The ice is cold, the adult beverages are nice and the brisket is smoked to perfection. Not only that, I was able to get a shave and a hot shower, so I no longer smell like ass......

We have some friends over at the Bucaneers message boards wishing all the best. The Titans board was more or less "meh" as was the Colts board.

Love my friends at TT and we'll all be meeting up this weekend to whoop the ever livin' snot out of the Tinnbreads... or so I hope!!!

PS... TO is an asshat!!

The Dude Abides
09-16-2008, 12:45 AM
came to a friends for power/water. i can go down my street 5 houses from my complex and there's power, and go for 5 more houses and there isn't. In both directions. So no power/water and no visible damage besides some small limbs down and yet nothing doing in midtown. blah

Texan_Bill
09-16-2008, 10:01 AM

Holy CRAP!!! That picture will put a lot of things in perspective!!!

gtexan02
09-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Not to make light of anything, but whoever built the lone remaining house did an amazing job. Total destruction, but that lone house remains almost pristine

Mr teX
09-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Good to see all made it through ok...... I came through great all things considering. No damage at all to my house, still had running water & gas the day after, just no electricity. I stemmed that problem a little with my generator.

My main issues have been with resources as gas & food has been hard to come by these past couple of days (as im sure they all over houston & surrounding areas). My neighbor & i have been working together to keep my generator running; he's been going out hustling for gas & in return i'm letting him keep his fridge & a couple of other things plugged up to it.....shout out to Mr. & Mrs. Carillo in Humble TX....truly great neighbors.

On a side rant, Channels 2,11,13 & 26 made me so mad this weekend b/c they blocked out all the football to devote coverage to hurricane Ike. i understand that this was a large catastrophic ideal here & you have to cover it like it's the last story you'll ever do, but for those of us who have their alternate channels on satellite, they could've at least ran the regularly scheduled progamming over there. By Sunday, i was so tired of hearing & living through Ike's mess, i just wanted to get away from it for a moment & do what i normally do on sunday, but no...........

Texan Asylum
09-16-2008, 02:17 PM

Unbelievable!

Brando
09-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Before and After Ike....

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/Texans%20Signatures%20and%20pics/080916-before-after-ike-1233pstanda.jpg

:headhurts:

2BCF
09-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Before and After Ike....

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/Texans%20Signatures%20and%20pics/080916-before-after-ike-1233pstanda.jpg

:headhurts:

Wow, look at the erosion.
What was the first row of beach homes is now the beach area.

YellerLotYeller
09-17-2008, 11:18 AM
My Mom and Step-Dad got power in Dickinson yesterday so today I am on a generator. Those pictures of the storm surge are heartbreaking.

YellerLotYeller
09-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I only see little red x's...

Y'all had a tornado go through too, didn't ya? Doc has been trying since Sunday to contact his friend in Alvin...I have several down there too that I am worried about.

*glad to hear you are OK!*

From what I have heard it was quite a few tornadoes that came through Alvin

Wolf
09-17-2008, 11:40 AM
http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/ike/IKE0000.HTM

aerial surveys of the area

I tried to find reliant but after a few minutes, I got lost

this one had rice stadium
http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/ike/geo-C25956945.jpg

HOU-TEX
09-17-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm back! Our power was restored late last night.

We bounced around quite a bit the past 3-4 days. We stayed in Richmond for the storm then drove to Palacios for a couple nights of sleep and to get cleaned up at bit.

We were fortunate compared to the Galveston area, but my house to a little bit of a hit. Roof(shingles) damage screwed the interior of our Dining room. We had a window blow in in the same room (which was good, I guess), entire back fence is gone, siding on one side of the house is pulled away and a few other minor situations.

Like I said, we're fortunate comparatively speaking. The Lord only knows the amount of human loss in the Galveston area. I just pray it's not as bad as I think/heard it is.

Oh yeah, one more thing.................Ike is a dick!

Wolf
09-17-2008, 11:45 AM
http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/ike/geo-C25955575.jpg

blind hog does find an acorn once in a while

Reliant aerial view

HoustonFrog
09-17-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure if this has been in here..guys riding Ike out on a boat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0csM7lC0mc

As far as us..still no power since we got back Monday afternoon. Went to sister in laws that has power last night. Neighborhood still looks like a war zone with trees all over the place in yards. I've never seen anything like it.

Wolf
09-17-2008, 12:48 PM
downtown (was trying to find minute maid)( I assume )

got some damage showing on here

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/ike/IMAGES/ike_c25959254.htm

(red square is what i am on on city map for those trying to figure whiich box I clicked)

HoustonFrog
09-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Pic too big

Wolf
09-17-2008, 01:41 PM

here is the index so you can pick a section out

Hardcore Texan
09-17-2008, 02:03 PM

here is the index so you can pick a section out

I am trying to find pictures of my Mom's property, this picture is of Oak Island about 3.5 - 4 miles NW of my Mom's house. You can see the devastation even from a great distance.

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/ike/IMAGES/ike_c26085890.htm

TEXANS84
09-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Greatest Hurricane moment, ever......

http://houstonist.com/2008/09/12/hurricane_ike_bear.php

I saw that live and laughed my ass off. Kinda funny given the situation.

Koolaid Time
09-17-2008, 07:30 PM

There was a streaker too behind a reporter doing a standup...

Hardcore Texan
09-17-2008, 07:31 PM

I am heading down to my Mom's property tomorrow to help with the salvage operation, there is finally a place for me to stay, I will take some pics and post when I return.

Thorn
09-17-2008, 09:18 PM
CenterPoint releases power restoration timeline by zip code

06:10 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 17, 2008

KHOU.com staff report

HOUSTON – Hurricane Ike left nearly 2 million homes in the dark. Since Saturday, CenterPoint Energy has been working non-stop to return power to their customers. As of Wednesday, they had been able get power back to 750,000 customers, which is 38% of there customers.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. On Wednesday, CenterPoint finished assessing the power damage obtained from Hurricane Ike and put together the following projected timeline by zip code.

The following zip codes are estimated to have substantial power restoration by the end of day on Friday, September 19:

77065, 77094, 77095, 77354, 77355, 77356, 77362, 77375, 77377, 77382, 77384, 77418, 77420, 77423, 77429, 77430, 77433, 77434, 77435, 77441, 77444, 77445, 77449, 77450, 77461, 77468, 77469, 77471, 77474, 77479, 77482, 77484, 77486, 77488, 77493, 77494

The following zip codes are estimated to have substantial power restoration by the end of day on Monday, September 22:

77024, 77031, 77032, 77039, 77040, 77041, 77042, 77050, 77055, 77072, 77077, 77079, 77080, 77082, 77083, 77084, 77092, 77099, 77336, 77338, 77339, 77346, 77357, 77365, 77373, 77386, 77396, 77459, 77477, 77478, 77479, 77511, 77515, 77534, 77577, 77583

The following zip codes have sustained extensive damage, and will therefore have a restoration timeline that extends beyond Monday, September 22:

77002, 77003, 77004, 77005, 77006, 77007, 77008, 77009, 77010, 77011, 77012, 77013, 77014, 77015, 77016, 77017, 77018, 77019, 77020, 77021, 77022, 77023, 77025, 77026, 77027, 77028, 77029, 77030, 77033, 77034, 77035, 77036, 77037, 77038, 77040, 77044, 77045, 77046, 77047, 77048, 77051, 77053, 77054, 77056, 77057, 77058, 77059, 77060, 77061, 77062, 77063, 77064, 77066, 77067, 77068, 77069, 77070, 77071, 77073, 77074, 77075, 77076, 77078, 77081, 77085, 77086, 77087, 77088, 77089, 77090, 77091, 77093, 77096, 77098, 77379, 77380, 77386, 77388, 77389, 77401, 77422, 77459, 77489, 77502, 77503, 77504, 77505, 77506, 77507, 77510, 77515, 77517, 77518, 77520, 77521, 77530, 77531, 77532, 77534, 77535, 77536, 77539, 77541, 77545, 77546, 77547, 77550, 77551, 77554, 77563, 77565, 77566, 77568, 77571, 77573, 77578, 77581, 77583, 77584, 77586, 77587, 77590, 77591, 77598

CenterPoint said that once the above is completed, 80 percent of the power will be restored to the region.

Honoring Earl 34
09-17-2008, 09:47 PM
I am heading down to my Mom's property tomorrow to help with the salvage operation, there is finally a place for me to stay, I will take some pics and post when I return.

Good luck and stay strong .

Hardcore Texan
09-17-2008, 09:55 PM
CenterPoint releases power restoration timeline by zip code

06:10 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 17, 2008

KHOU.com staff report

HOUSTON – Hurricane Ike left nearly 2 million homes in the dark. Since Saturday, CenterPoint Energy has been working non-stop to return power to their customers. As of Wednesday, they had been able get power back to 750,000 customers, which is 38% of there customers.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. On Wednesday, CenterPoint finished assessing the power damage obtained from Hurricane Ike and put together the following projected timeline by zip code.

The following zip codes are estimated to have substantial power restoration by the end of day on Friday, September 19:

77065, 77094, 77095, 77354, 77355, 77356, 77362, 77375, 77377, 77382, 77384, 77418, 77420, 77423, 77429, 77430, 77433, 77434, 77435, 77441, 77444, 77445, 77449, 77450, 77461, 77468, 77469, 77471, 77474, 77479, 77482, 77484, 77486, 77488, 77493, 77494

The following zip codes are estimated to have substantial power restoration by the end of day on Monday, September 22:

77024, 77031, 77032, 77039, 77040, 77041, 77042, 77050, 77055, 77072, 77077, 77079, 77080, 77082, 77083, 77084, 77092, 77099, 77336, 77338, 77339, 77346, 77357, 77365, 77373, 77386, 77396, 77459, 77477, 77478, 77479, 77511, 77515, 77534, 77577, 77583

The following zip codes have sustained extensive damage, and will therefore have a restoration timeline that extends beyond Monday, September 22:

77002, 77003, 77004, 77005, 77006, 77007, 77008, 77009, 77010, 77011, 77012, 77013, 77014, 77015, 77016, 77017, 77018, 77019, 77020, 77021, 77022, 77023, 77025, 77026, 77027, 77028, 77029, 77030, 77033, 77034, 77035, 77036, 77037, 77038, 77040, 77044, 77045, 77046, 77047, 77048, 77051, 77053, 77054, 77056, 77057, 77058, 77059, 77060, 77061, 77062, 77063, 77064, 77066, 77067, 77068, 77069, 77070, 77071, 77073, 77074, 77075, 77076, 77078, 77081, 77085, 77086, 77087, 77088, 77089, 77090, 77091, 77093, 77096, 77098, 77379, 77380, 77386, 77388, 77389, 77401, 77422, 77459, 77489, 77502, 77503, 77504, 77505, 77506, 77507, 77510, 77515, 77517, 77518, 77520, 77521, 77530, 77531, 77532, 77534, 77535, 77536, 77539, 77541, 77545, 77546, 77547, 77550, 77551, 77554, 77563, 77565, 77566, 77568, 77571, 77573, 77578, 77581, 77583, 77584, 77586, 77587, 77590, 77591, 77598

CenterPoint said that once the above is completed, 80 percent of the power will be restored to the region.

I don't see 77514 in there which is Anahuac.

Good luck and stay strong .

Thanks man.

MightyTExan
09-18-2008, 07:45 AM
So how is Lakewood church's relief efforts going? They're giving out food and ice right? :cowboy1:

HoustonFrog
09-18-2008, 07:56 AM

I have to disagree. Geraldo meet surf gets my nod. What an asshat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dAUqW5dHrU

HOU-TEX
09-18-2008, 10:58 AM

LMAO! That's awesome! Geraldo's an asshat with or without getting hit by a wave is an asshat.

Double Barrel
09-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Not sure if this has been posted:

The short - but eventful - life of Ike (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/09/the_short_but_eventful_life_of.html)

Texan_Bill
09-18-2008, 11:21 AM
not sure if this has been posted:

the short - but eventful - life of ike (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/09/the_short_but_eventful_life_of.html)

wow!!!!!

YellerLotYeller
09-18-2008, 12:25 PM

"This water is filthy too!"

Texan_Bill
09-18-2008, 02:14 PM
If there is anyone on this board that doesn't need their generator, I know someone in Pasadena who is a loved member of this board that certainly could use a break that a generator could provide.... PM me if you can help....

brakos82
09-18-2008, 06:45 PM
If there is anyone on this board that doesn't need their generator, I know someone in Pasadena who is a loved member of this board that certainly could use a break that a generator could provide.... PM me if you can help....
Hint: It's not me. :shades:

brakos82
09-18-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't see 77514 in there which is Anahuac.
That's just a CNP service timeline.

ESAD2-14
09-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Has anyone seen or been able to track down a map or something that showed wind speed data for specific locations within the Houston/Galveston area?

Geraldo was funny.

The Bear was WTF.

TEXANS84
09-18-2008, 10:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ4V7iCBjSk&feature=related

Check out that clip, was taken in Columbus, Ohio. It's like the thing never died.

GuerillaBlack
09-18-2008, 10:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ4V7iCBjSk&feature=related

Check out that clip, was taken in Columbus, Ohio. It's like the thing never died.

it didn't. part of Montreal's transit system had to be shut down because of Ike.

Showtime100
09-19-2008, 07:04 AM
At wunderground they have a webcam section which is not news to you guys I'm sure. It seems when a camera goes down for whatever reason it simply doesn't appear on the list of cams. It's good to see Houston has 4 back up and running. :splits: Still nothing from Galveston though as one would imagine.

2BCF
09-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Ate at Ninfa's on Memorial yesterday , nice to have a sense of normalcy even if it was just for a brief moment.
Or it could have been the margaritas. :D

Double Barrel
09-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Living like a caveman has taught us something. Most of life's 'luxuries' and diversions are purely optional.

TEXANS84
09-19-2008, 05:10 PM
http://english.wunderground.com/blog/LakeWorthFinn/comment.html?entrynum=51&tstamp=200809

The radar adventure of Ike. The thing still rotates all the way up to Indiana.

MightyTExan
09-20-2008, 08:29 PM
No disrespect intended, but I'm convinced the mayor of Galveston is a vulcan.

Old School
09-21-2008, 06:31 AM
My wife sent me a message last night to tell me that we have power back in our house as of 7:30 last night, 2 days ahead of projections. now maybe some of the meat in our freezer can be salvaged.
A much deserved :tiphat:to the boys (and girls) at Centerpoint and all those who came in from all parts of the country. I know we grumble a lot but we do appreciate the hard work y'all are putting in.

Good luck to the rest of you guys without power. I hope y'all get switched on soon.

TEXANS84
09-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Curious to how strong the sustained winds were in your area?

Here's the answer:

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/IKEWINDcroppedAL092008_mph.jpg

GlassHalfFull
09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Curious to how strong the sustained winds were in your area?

Here's the answer:

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/IKEWINDcroppedAL092008_mph.jpg

I saw that on the chronicle and am feeling pretty stupid. I can't figure out any landmarks on that to see where things are. Can you help me out?

Texan_Bill
09-22-2008, 06:06 PM
I saw that on the chronicle and am feeling pretty stupid. I can't figure out any landmarks on that to see where things are. Can you help me out?

The path of the eye crosses Galveston and then is hugging the western side of Galveston Bay, meaning that it moves slightly east of downtown Houston...

GlassHalfFull
09-22-2008, 06:09 PM
The path of the eye crosses Galveston and then is hugging the western side of Galveston Bay, meaning that it moves slightly east of downtown Houston...

How far north does the green blob extend? Another reference would be how far north is the isolated orange blob? I can see the coast, I just am not good at seeing where the inland stuff falls.

Thanks for your help.

Texan_Bill
09-22-2008, 06:18 PM
How far north does the green blob extend? Another reference would be how far north is the isolated orange blob? I can see the coast, I just am not good at seeing where the inland stuff falls.

Thanks for your help.

If I were to take a guesstimate, the picture cuts off around Bryan College Station / Huntsville / Livingston????

Base your guesstimations using Galveston Bay to the furthest northwest (notice a little cut), which would be around the San Jacinto Monument leading into the Houston Ship Channel.

Speedy
09-22-2008, 06:44 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/IKEWINDcroppedAL092008_mph.jpgI saw that on the chronicle and am feeling pretty stupid. I can't figure out any landmarks on that to see where things are. Can you help me out?

The orange blob by itself to the west of the black line is the Jersey Village area. At least that's what the SciGuy said.

Considering I was in the eye, in the western part of it according to the radar on my little 2 1/2 inch handheld TV, it looks to me like that blob would be a lot closer to the IAH than Jersey Village.

TEXANS84
09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Green blob extends up to Rusk/Lufkin area.

I wish there was a national chart on Ike's progress. Kentucky had sustained hurricane force winds at 84 MPH recorded in Louisville. Columbus, Ohio had gusts in the high 70's.

Texan_Bill
09-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Green blob extends up to Rusk/Lufkin area.

Is that a technical meteorological term??

TEXANS84
09-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Is that a technical meteorological term??

Texans talk terminology my friend.

Texan_Bill
09-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Texans talk terminology my friend.

We need to sticky a TexansTalk glossary for those of us novice users. :)

brakos82
09-22-2008, 07:04 PM
We need to sticky a TexansTalk glossary for those of us novice users. :)
Papkos has approved this post.

HoustonFrog
09-23-2008, 10:57 AM
I'd like my electricity back. :(

Porky
09-23-2008, 11:02 AM
I'd like my electricity back. :(

Ditto.

I spoke with a Magnolia Sherriff on Sunday and he said they clocked gusts to 100mph in Magnolia, and that the front of his car was actually being lifted off the ground during the height of the storm. Sustained winds averaged 60-80 in Magnolia per him. He booked it back to HQ, and made a beeline for the protection of the office. He had some interesting stories. :cowboy1:

Thorn
09-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Does anybody know when they are going to start charging tolls again? The Westpark tollway is jammed up because everyone and their brother is using it since it's free right now.

Not that I blame them, driving the streets around Houston right now is horrible with the stop lights being out and all.

Texan_Bill
09-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Does anybody know when they are going to start charging tolls again? The Westpark tollway is jammed up because everyone and their brother is using it since it's free right now.

Not that I blame them, driving the streets around Houston right now is horrible with the stop lights being out and all.

I still haven't heard anything, but I know its been a bear with all the extra 'free' traffic... I don't blame them either. Some folks don't get the whole idea that if a traffic light is down, treat it as a 4 way stop. :aggressive:

powerfuldragon
09-23-2008, 04:52 PM
storm surge

brakos82
09-23-2008, 06:01 PM
storm surge
How's your purple camera girl doing?

YellerLotYeller
09-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Debris cleanup in my neighborhood today....those guys are good.

SheTexan
09-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Debris cleanup in my neighborhood today....those guys are good.

Same here. Nice surprise since I'd been told it would be up to six weeks before they got to it. Life is slowly returning to normal!:doot:

YellerLotYeller
09-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Okay I take back the compliment....they busted the curb on my driveway, and left a huge rut in my front yard. I already called the Public Works Director and I'm sure he's not busy or anything.

Vinny
09-25-2008, 08:32 AM
OK, someone in Nassau Bay is going to hell. They hired a bunch of illegals to help clean up the city after the storm...knowingly. After the hard work was done they called immigration on them so they wouldn't have to pay them.

Showtime100
09-25-2008, 08:45 AM
OK, someone in Nassau Bay is going to hell. They hired a bunch of illegals to help clean up the city after the storm...knowingly. After the hard work was done they called immigration on them so they wouldn't have to pay them.

Just curious Vinny, I'm not going anywhere with this, but by "knowingly" do you mean they asked for a SS number and they had none as well as no green card, or did they fit the M.O. of an illegal? Link?

HoustonFrog
09-25-2008, 09:00 AM

Hey Thorn, I heard midnight Saturday is the ending time for free tolls.

Even though our house is in the Sunday zone I did see trucks in the neighborhood yesterday when I went by so maybe there is hope for the original date..today.

Vinny
09-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Just curious Vinny, I'm not going anywhere with this, but by "knowingly" do you mean they asked for a SS number and they had none as well as no green card, or did they fit the M.O. of an illegal? Link?
There is no link because this isn't a media story. I know people who work for the City...lets just say I found it shameful and so do some good folks that work for the City.

Showtime100
09-25-2008, 09:20 AM
There is no link because this isn't a media story. I know people who work for the City...lets just say I found it shameful and so do some good folks that work for the City.

I'm totally with you Vinny. One day those employers will be judged.

Porky
09-25-2008, 10:37 AM

I would call or email the Chronicle. That is a huge story.

Silver Oak
09-27-2008, 01:33 PM
I got the Royal Comcast Screwing after Ike and have been without my internet since early Saturday morning. Even though I had power, they could not see fit to send a tech until today to restore our service. The outage has spurred me on to signing up with AT&T for their fiber optic uverse service beginning Friday.

So much to do when you don't have the internet! Yard work, debris clean up, pool fun...all took place w/o being connected, so it wasn't a total wash.

disaacks3
09-27-2008, 01:40 PM
OK, someone in Nassau Bay is going to hell. They hired a bunch of illegals to help clean up the city after the storm...knowingly. After the hard work was done they called immigration on them so they wouldn't have to pay them. As much as I don't like that "little problem" our fine Metro area has w/ the Illegal aliens...I'd love to give that gentleman's address to about two busloads worth of 'em and pay their fares.

Vinny
09-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Captain's log Stardate September 28

Day 16 without power. Riggo was on patrol and sent the signal down to Charley company that Centerpoint was in the area. Hopped on the Harley and intercepted two crew members in our theatre of operation. After a brisk interrogation we surmised that power would not be restored to our vessel today. There was no 'maybe', no hemming, no hawing, just a "no". The blank stares were deafening.

TexansLucky13
09-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Captain's log Stardate September 28

Day 16 without power. Riggo was on patrol and sent the signal down to Charley company that Centerpoint was in the area. Hopped on the Harley and intercepted two crew members in our theatre of operation. After a brisk interrogation we surmised that power would not be restored to our vessel today. There was no 'maybe', no hemming, no hawing, just a "no". The blank stares were deafening.

You should've launched your photon torpedoes and then warp 9'ed it the heck outta there.

P.S. - Hope you get power soon.

sakebomb
09-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm also still waiting for the power to be restored.

This dance helps me not to go crazy. :splits:

I had to shave my "hurricane beard" the other day. I was trying to hold out until our power was restored but I just couldn't do it.

Vinny
09-30-2008, 12:18 PM
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!

bwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHa ! POWER!!! I can power up the secret lair now! Perhaps I'll dismantle our Neighborhood truth squads first.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2008, 12:19 PM
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!

bwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHa ! POWER!!! I can power up the secret lair now!

Congrats Vinny! I know you were starting to go a little stir crazy.....

Hardcore Texan
09-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Rick Perry visited Anahuac two weekends ago.

http://www.theanahuacprogress.com/

Vinny
09-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Congrats Vinny! I know you were starting to go a little stir crazy.....
rumor had it that infantrycak was commissioned by specnatz to kayak up the creek behind the house and butcher me with an Ox blade wearing only a couple of banana leaves.

2BCF
09-30-2008, 03:46 PM
rumor had it that infantrycak was commissioned by specnatz to kayak up the creek behind the house and butcher me with an Ox blade wearing only a couple of banana leaves.

LOL

Have you been sleeping outside at night under the Dibrom crop dusters?

Congrats on the power.

Hookem Horns
09-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Here are some pretty amazing (not in a good way) pictures of the aftermath. http://www.tpicks.com/pictures%20people%20have%20sent%20me.html

Isn't this worse than Katrina? What I don't get is how this thing is getting hardly any press outside of Houston (I am assuming it is getting press in Houston). Even in Austin they aren't talking much about it. Also there are close to 400 people unaccounted for and everyone I mentioned that to wasn't aware of that. I guess the presidential race and the crashing economy is more important than this in the media's eyes and that is a real shame.

BTW, my aunt completely lost her home in San Leon. If she hadn't have left she wouldn't have survived that.

Texan_Bill
10-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Here are some pretty amazing (not in a good way) pictures of the aftermath. http://www.tpicks.com/pictures%20people%20have%20sent%20me.html

Isn't this worse than Katrina? What I don't get is how this thing is getting hardly any press outside of Houston (I am assuming it is getting press in Houston). Even in Austin they aren't talking much about it. Also there are close to 400 people unaccounted for and everyone I mentioned that to wasn't aware of that. I guess the presidential race and the crashing economy is more important than this in the media's eyes and that is a real shame.

BTW, my aunt completely lost her home in San Leon. If she hadn't have left she wouldn't have survived that.

I don't think Ike was any better than Katrina.

Sorry about your Aunt's house in San Leon. Thank goodness she heeded the warnings and left....... I heard from a member of the boards that San Leon was in bad shape.... Good luck to her.

Hardcore Texan
10-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Body found just a few miles from where my Mom's house is, she washed up from Gilchrist, and later identified in the bottom link. How sad, I think they will be finding a lot more.

http://www.theanahuacprogress.com/articles/2008/10/01/news/news2.txt

http://www.theanahuacprogress.com/articles/2008/10/01/news/news6.txt

Hardcore Texan
10-02-2008, 11:29 AM
There are still around 300 people missing since Ike....very sad.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/02/ike.missing/index.html

It's going to be a long time before things can be cleaned up, let alone resemble being back to normal.

Texan_Bill
10-02-2008, 11:52 AM
There are still around 300 people missing since Ike....very sad.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/02/ike.missing/index.html

It's going to be a long time before things can be cleaned up, let alone resemble being back to normal.

Very sad, indeed.... Thoughts and prayers continue to go out to those that need it, or rather to everyone that has been affected by Ike..

YellerLotYeller
10-02-2008, 03:20 PM
http://www.lrcf.net/Ike/display.names.cgi

List of the missing....prayers go out to all for a safe return.

3rd and Inches
10-13-2008, 06:03 PM
A few weeks back I went to Brazoria to check on our lake house. We have extensive damage. It flooded about 2 feet up downstairs so the floors need to be completely redone. I'm also worried about structural damage done to the mainframe of the house from the flood waters as it took me awhile to be able to get down there to see the devastation.

I do hope that everyone on these boards that was effected by Ike is safe and sound. If there's anything that Bruja and I can do for y'alll, please feel free to ask either one of us. Houstonians always help Houstonians, even if I am displaced lol.

GlassHalfFull
11-14-2008, 05:40 AM
I just remembered this question I had from the night of the hurricane. I wasn't online for a while afterwards due to loss of power, and forgot about it until now.

I was very surprised throughout the night, how well lit the sky was. I would have thought that between the power being out and the clouds/rain, that it would have been pitch black outside. There was almost a glow, it was so bright. Is this a common hurricane phenomenon, or was it unique to Ike?

Old School
11-14-2008, 07:23 PM
I got my first installment from my insurance company today!!!! First thing is a new roof. It's hard to believe that the same roof I got quotes on back in February for $6500 to $7000 is now going to cost $10,000+. Un-freakin-believable. After that I have to replace a section of fence and repair where the brick is actually separating from my house. Anyone know someone that does good masonry work?? :thinking:

TexanSam
11-14-2008, 08:15 PM
I just remembered this question I had from the night of the hurricane. I wasn't online for a while afterwards due to loss of power, and forgot about it until now.

I was very surprised throughout the night, how well lit the sky was. I would have thought that between the power being out and the clouds/rain, that it would have been pitch black outside. There was almost a glow, it was so bright. Is this a common hurricane phenomenon, or was it unique to Ike?

I remember it being very orange before the hurricane which was cool

Hardcore Texan
12-27-2008, 01:44 PM
My wife, kids and I are staying with my Mom this weekend in her FEMA trailer. She just got moved in a week ago. It took over 3 months but at least she has some housing for the next year and a half. But driving through Anahuac and down the country road to my Mom's place it dawned on me how this hurricane has changed everything and that it will be MANY years, if ever, that things get back to normal around here. There is no barbed wire fence along the road, it's all gone, there is no cattle. All the ranchers had to sell of their heards right after the storm. There is so much debris everywhere out in the county you can see it for miles scattered across the pasteur, the town is still tore up pretty bad, no telling how many left and aren't coming back. Groups of people were living in tents in Ft. Anahuac Park for months. And I haven't heard much about what is going to happen with Oak Island but it was pretty much wiped off the map. It's all very sad to see, I guess my 3 months back in RR since the events I kind of stop thinking about it. My wife said she felt like crying just from driving through town. This is going to be one of those defining moments in my life. There will be everything before Ike and then everything after.