PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Ike

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Porky
09-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Well, the NHC is now where I was 3 days ago. What took you so long!

Having said that, my sincere hope is this thing keeps trending east ala Rita and we don't take a direct hit. Unfortentely, even the best case scenerio for Houston is not that great. At best we probably have TS force winds and a couple inches of rain. That would cause a few trees to fall, short term pwr outages etc, but would be more inconvienence than anything. Lives and property should be fine in 99% of cases.

If we get close to the track they have now, it's not going to be pretty. I could see 80-100 mph sustained winds in Houston for several hours with higher gusts, roofs damaged, and some destroyed, trees and poles down everywhere, projectiles hurled thru windows, etc. No pwr for days, water and gasoline issues, damaged homes, massive cleanup. Ugh. :devilpig:

Thorn
09-11-2008, 06:44 AM
I hate hurricanes

Porky
09-11-2008, 06:49 AM
I hate hurricanes

I like watching them from afar. I don't like being in them AT ALL!

Thorn
09-11-2008, 06:55 AM
Well, six more minutes until all the new updates come in. I'm still thinking about flaming that guy who's telling everyone to grow a pair in the football forum, but I'm thinking for now I should leave it alone.

SheTexan
09-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Well, six more minutes until all the new updates come in. I'm still thinking about flaming that guy who's telling everyone to grow a pair in the football forum, but I'm thinking for now I should leave it alone.

That was my thoughts exactly Thorn. I just decided the dude's just not worth my time. I have to many other things to worry about this morning.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 07:36 AM

That was my thoughts exactly Thorn. I just decided the dude's just not worth my time. I have to many other things to worry about this morning.

Who, what, where???

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 07:39 AM
The new track that has it coming near us reminds me of Rita. So if I were a betting man, when its all said and done - it passes to the east of us. Tailgating for sunday is on like donkey kong. We'll be in there, like thong swim wear!!!:tiphat:

Showtime100
09-11-2008, 07:53 AM

I couldn't help myself. I guess I removed all doubt. One day restraint will be more of a strong point with me.

FILO_girl
09-11-2008, 07:54 AM
I like watching them from afar. I don't like being in them AT ALL!
Same here.

Eye looks to track right over my house, at this time. Mtg here at work in a couple hours regarding hurricane prep here, all co workers seem to have aged 20 years overnight. I plan on leaving at noon whether they like it or not because the mandatory evacs will be hampering my commute home, I have to get some plywood...
This is going to hurt, folks.

Thorn
09-11-2008, 08:01 AM
I couldn't help myself. I guess I removed all doubt. One day restraint will be more of a strong point with me.

I saw your post, that a**wipe deserves all the bad retorts he gets.

Oh well, my plans for work and riding out the hurricane are not finalized yet, so I guess I better start beeping and emailing my various bosses. LOL

Vinny
09-11-2008, 08:09 AM
my area has a manditory evac but I'm still thinking that this is overkill. Still deciding if I should split.

TexanSam
09-11-2008, 08:10 AM
At least the hurricane didn't strengthen overnight.

GlassHalfFull
09-11-2008, 08:11 AM
my area has a manditory evac but I'm still thinking that this is overkill. Still deciding if I should split.

Go. If you are under mandatory evac, I think you should head out. Stay safe.

So far the roads don't appear to be too bad. I think lots of people that got burned in the Rita evac have decided to stay. But leaving sooner, would be better than later.

Showtime100
09-11-2008, 08:17 AM
I saw your post, that a**wipe deserves all the bad retorts he gets.

Oh well, my plans for work and riding out the hurricane are not finalized yet, so I guess I better start beeping and emailing my various bosses. LOL

Take care of your cat!!

What part of town are you in, Vinny? I ask because I've got an uncle in Manvel and am curious as to his status .

texasguy346
09-11-2008, 08:23 AM

Aren't you over in the La Porte area Vinny? If so I think it's best that you get out of dodge. The mandatory evacuations they issued this morning for Harris County were based on those areas being effected by storm surge. That's not something you want to mess around with.

I'm in the Deer Park area, but I'm not under a mandatory evacuation. Even so some of my extended family who lives in the same area as I do got out of town yesterday. My advice to you would be to go ahead & get out of town. Stay safe.

Vinny
09-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Go. If you are under mandatory evac, I think you should head out. Stay safe.

So far the roads don't appear to be too bad. I think lots of people that got burned in the Rita evac have decided to stay. But leaving sooner, would be better than later.

Take care of your cat!!

What part of town are you in, Vinny? I ask because I've got an uncle in Manvel and am curious as to his status .I'm in La Porte off of 146 a few miles from Sylvan beach. I'm getting my Mother out of the area (she lives closer to beltway 8 but still in the maditory evac zone) but may hunker down and watch our houses with my trusty weinerdog.

Cjeremy635
09-11-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm in La Porte off of 146 a few miles from Sylvan beach. I'm getting my Mother out of the area (she lives closer to beltway 8 but still in the maditory evac zone) but may hunker down and watch our houses with my trusty weinerdog.

Good luck Vinny, take appropriate precautions. Do you have all of the supplied you need?

Vinny
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Aren't you over in the La Porte area Vinny? If so I think it's best that you get out of dodge. The mandatory evacuations they issued this morning for Harris County were based on those areas being effected by storm surge. That's not something you want to mess around with.

I'm in the Deer Park area, but I'm not under a mandatory evacuation. Even so some of my extended family who lives in the same area as I do got out of town yesterday. My advice to you would be to go ahead & get out of town. Stay safe.
I may still split.....currently washing clothes and mowing the yard. I figure that if we even have a mild wind we will lose our power. I'll be boarding my widows up before noon as well.Good luck Vinny, take appropriate precautions. Do you have all of the supplied you need? still need a few more sheets of plywood...but hopefully home depot or lowes still has some plywood or chipboard this morning.

HoustonFrog
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
I am at ConocoPhillips and they are shutting us down at noon today through the weekend. I don't think my trip to Brownwood is on anymore and even though I'm not in a flood plain I am getting sandbags just to make sure we get no seepage into the house.

hobie
09-11-2008, 08:29 AM

Leave when you think its the best time.....but sometimes its better to go and not have had to, than to not go and wish the hell ya did...Regardless, be safe my friend !

Txn_in_Oki
09-11-2008, 08:33 AM
My parents live in the North Shore area and after the great evacuation debacle they now refuse to leave ever again. I guess the good thing here is that it should weaken up before it hits.

Good luck to all of you and be safe.

ledzeppelin229
09-11-2008, 08:35 AM
I wanted to come home late tonight or tomorrow morning (to Spring) and go to the game on Sunday...but my mom is trying to persuade me to stay in San Marcos due to the driving winds. I'm definitely considering it....I really hate to miss the first game though. I haven't done that since I missed the very first one against the Cowboys and only missed about 3-4 overall.

Silver Oak
09-11-2008, 08:36 AM
insignificant for everyone but me, however, our new pool was plastered yesterday and is filling with water as I type. my concern was with all of the debris...small boards, trash, etc., that could easily be picked up and become a projectile, but my builder has already told me that clean up will be scheduled today and equipment will be started.

I had "pool popping out of the ground" concerns, so getting it filled with water is a load off my mind.

best of luck everyone in riding this storm out!

generator-check
water-check
food-check
tanks filled-check
on post storm tree removal list-check
Shiner Light-check

HoustonFrog
09-11-2008, 08:37 AM
I may still split.....currently washing clothes and mowing the yard. I figure that if we even have a mild wind we will lose our power. I'll be boarding my widows up before noon as well. still need a few more sheets of plywood...but hopefully home depot or lowes still has some plywood or chipboard this morning.

Good luck Vinny. Be careful bud!!

Showtime100
09-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Any help down memory lane??????

I once went out with this babe, I mean this girl

(Showtime.. no telling stories about the trips to Bennagins)

uuum, nothing. :tiphat:

GlassHalfFull
09-11-2008, 09:18 AM
They just announced HISD is closed tomorrow. I figured it would be, but am glad they went ahead and announced it.

swtbound07
09-11-2008, 09:25 AM
all my best vin. We're getting out of here. Stay in touch, and keep me posted.

Hervoyel
09-11-2008, 09:26 AM
It's all very stressful and nobody can deny it. Still please forgive me while I repost an old favorite (wish I could have found a bigger copy).

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/aggie_small-1.jpg

Never gets old does it?

toronto
09-11-2008, 09:38 AM
http://www.weather.com/blog/weather/8_17152.html?from=hp_news

Good in depth blog on Ike...

Señor Stan
09-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Sorry about my previous placement of Tina...
Hopes this helps steer Ike away...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/senorstan/tina-1.jpg

Hardcore Texan
09-11-2008, 09:41 AM
My mom refuses to evacuate, she wants to keep my dad comfortable and not move him, this storm is going to be too much for their house especially if it moves north a little more. They are under madatory evacuation, just a couple miles inland of trinity bay, she refuses to leave.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 09:43 AM
It's all very stressful and nobody can deny it. Still please forgive me while I repost an old favorite (wish I could have found a bigger copy).

<Hang on a moment editing in progress>

Never gets old does it?

Ummmmmm .............YES! :foottap:

Sal Rosenberg
09-11-2008, 09:45 AM
it's all very stressful and nobody can deny it. Still please forgive me while i repost an old favorite (wish i could have found a bigger copy).

never gets old does it?

awesome!

Brando
09-11-2008, 09:47 AM

Never gets old does it?

There is a store in Corpus Christi that I passed by this morning and they put the plywood on the same way!

HoustonFrog
09-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Well, it is probably too much and I usually laugh at overhyper people about this stuff but I have a feeling about this one.....just loaded up on stuff fro the gas stove....soup, etc and on bread, peanut butter, stuff for the baby, etc. The store was a madhouse

ATX
09-11-2008, 09:53 AM

Never gets old does it?

Nope :spit:

SheTexan
09-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Been thinking about you Vinny! I'm not that far from you, but, you are always welcome to ride out the storm at my house. Right now, we are planning to stay put. I live in that little triangle by 225 and the beltway, about 1 mile from the toll bridge. My biggest concern is these bigass trees I have in my yard! My neighbor has zero trees in her yard due to Alicia. She had huge trees that were uprooted and thrown around like pencils. SOOOOO, I'm praying these suckers stay put.

My prayers are with everyone out there. Be smart, don't take any chances, it's just not worth it. I'm abiding by what the authorities are saying. Hunkering down and shelter in place.

TexansLucky13
09-11-2008, 09:56 AM
There is a store in Corpus Christi that I passed by this morning and they put the plywood on the same way!

I see it all the time. It's not uncommon for people to do that.

I have to deal with that damn picture every time a little stormcloud passes through with you people.

:tease:

Brando
09-11-2008, 10:04 AM
I hate hurricanes

I've been saying that non stop for the last couple of days. I can't wait to get out of Hurricane season. :headhurts:

FILO_girl
09-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Co worker found me plywood! Need Doc to hurry his a$$ up to get here before we close to get it! Can't haul in my SUV...:scarygirl:

eriadoc
09-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Latest from my folks, time stamped 9AM CDT:

Hurricane Ike remains a strong CAT 2 storm with 100 mph winds. The storm was located about 470 mi SE of Galveston moving WNW near 8 mph. The central pressure remains a very low 946 mb and the storm continues to exhibit a dual eye wall structure which is limiting rapid intensification to what is normally seen with this sort of pressure. AF RECON is now measuring 120 mph+ winds in the outer eye wall and I think this feature will gradually take over allowing the storm to intensify to CAT 3 later today and perhaps go through a rapid deepening phase to CAT 4 just prior to landfall on the Upper TX coast just south of Freeport, TX.

Ike is a VERY large storm with tropical storm force winds extending over 300 mi from the center. The NHC has had to issue a Tropical Storm Warning for NEW ORLEANS because of wind gusts over 50 mph along the northern Gulf coast and over the energy producing region. Seas of 20-30 ft have been reported in the shelf waters off short the northern Gulf coast. Hurricane force winds extend outward over 100 mi from the center and the trajectory of Ike will result in an unusually long fetch of wind which will pile up water along it’s path and result in a very significant and widespread storm surge along and east of where the eye makes landfall. A storm surge of 15-20 ft is expected from Freeport to High Island with an 8-15 ft surge from High Island to southwest LA. This level of surge will overspill the sea wall in Galveston by 5-10 ft resulting in major flood damage in addition to severe hurricane winds sustained near or above 100 mph with gusts to over 120 mph. I expect widespread damage across all the upper coast east of Matagorda Bay and the failure by emergency management to force evacuations in many communities will likely put many individuals in an unnecessary life threatening situation.

This remains primarily a shut-in event for Production in the northern Gulf, but significant surge along the SW LA coast and upper TX coast could result in some flooding into Henry Hub and more importantly, severe coastal flooding in Galveston Bay which could significantly impact coastal refineries in Texas City and other areas.

A Hurricane Watch has been posed for all of the Upper Texas coast and landfall of the storm is expected between midnight and 6am on Saturday morning. The most significant hurricane conditions should overspread the Houston area Saturday morning, gradually improving late in the day. Extensive loss of power and cell phone towers should limit communications and other activities in the local area. It is likely that power outages will linger for over a week in many places if this makes landfall as a CAT 3…considerably longer if stronger.

FILO_girl
09-11-2008, 10:46 AM
From Wunderground....wow...
Hurricane Ike's winds remain at Category 2 strength, but Ike is a freak storm with extreme destructive storm surge potential. Ike's pressure fell rapidly last night to 944 mb, but the hurricane did not respond to the pressure change by increasing its maximum winds in the eyewall. Instead, Ike responded by increasing the velocity of its winds away from the eyewall, over a huge stretch of the Gulf of Mexico. Another very unusual feature of Ike is the fact that the surface winds are much slower than the winds being measured aloft by the Hurricane Hunters. Winds at the surface may only be at Category 1 strength, even though Ike has a central pressure characteristic of a Category 3 or 4 storm. This very unusual structure makes forecasting the future intensity of Ike nearly impossible. The possibilities range from a Category 1 storm at landfall--as predicted by the HWRF model--to a Category 4 storm at landfall, as predicted by the GFDL.

Ike is now larger than Katrina was, both in its radius of tropical storm force winds--275 miles--and in it radius of hurricane force winds--115 miles. For comparison, Katrina's tropical storm and hurricane force winds extended out 230 and 105 miles, respectively. Ike's huge wind field has put an extraordinarily large volume of ocean water in motion. When this swirling column of water hits the shallow waters of the Continental Shelf, it will be be forced up into a large storm surge which will probably rival the massive storm surge of Hurricane Carla of 1961. Carla was a Category 4 hurricane with 145 mph winds at landfall, and drove a 10 foot or higher storm surge to a 180-mile stretch of Texas coast. A maximum storm surge of 22 feet was recorded at Port Lavaca, Texas. Despite the fact that the center of Carla hit over 120 miles southwest of Houston, the hurricane drove a 15-foot storm surge into the bays along the south side of the city. I don't expect Ike will reach Category 4 strength, thus its maximum surge is not likely to reach the extreme values above 20 feet seen in Hurricane Carla. Like Carla, though, Ike will probably inundate a 180-mile stretch of Texas coast from Port O'Connor to just north of Galveston with a 10-15 foot storm surge. This will occur even if Ike is a Category 1 storm at landfall. The latest experimental storm surge forecast From NOAA's SLOSH model (Figure 1) shows a 10% chance that Ike's storm surge will exceed 15-21 feet at Galveston. The Galveston sea wall is 17 feet high, so may get overtopped.

TEXANS84
09-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Good god.

I-45 by my work is picking up, heard contra-flow at FM 1488 to start at 5pm

gwallaia
09-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Reports are coming in that 69 and 96 north are now clogging up bumper to bumper.

Cjeremy635
09-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Reports are coming in that 69 and 96 north are now clogging up bumper to bumper.

It's crazy isn't it? I remember during Rita that traffice was hellacious at the onslaught, but that it was minimual at most the day before the storm. It was the initial surge of traffice that clogged everything up. If I was leaving, I would wait until Friday morning or afternoon. But, that's just me. I have a feeling that the drive from Crosby to Huffman is going to take me forever this evening. Luckily, the commute back into work in the morning should be pretty easy.

GlassHalfFull
09-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Another good idea is to lower the temp settings on your fridge and freezer. Put food you want to use first in a cooler with ice, so you don't have to open your fridge.

MojoMan
09-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Here is a link to the Houston TranStar Real-Time Traffic Map:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

Looks like traffic is currently slowing down a bit, but is still moving pretty well overall for Houston.

Cjeremy635
09-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Well, gas is pretty much out in Crosby, has been since around 9:30 this morning. I topped off the truck and filled up a 30 gallon poly chemical drum with gas. Anyone else seeing gas shortages at this time?

ATX
09-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I just saw a cam shot of 45 N in Galveston. Wouldn't want to be in that traffic.

Cjeremy635
09-11-2008, 12:01 PM
I just saw a cam shot of 45 N in Galveston. Wouldn't want to be in that traffic.

Yeah, they need to open the contra flow lanes. If not, this is going to end up like Rita. I heard they are waiting until this evening, I say do it now.

Silver Oak
09-11-2008, 12:02 PM
My biggest concern is these bigass trees I have in my yard! My neighbor has zero trees in her yard due to Alicia. She had huge trees that were uprooted and thrown around like pencils. SOOOOO, I'm praying these suckers stay put.

one thing we have in our favor is the ground is generally hard as a rock right now and the trees will be less likely to fall over...if they're strong, healthy trees. now if the ground was moist and we get the expected wind, the tree damage would be more severe.

TexanSam
09-11-2008, 12:03 PM

Google Maps has a "traffic" button you can press that tells you how fast traffic is moving. It's pretty neat

jerek
09-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Well, gas is pretty much out in Crosby, has been since around 9:30 this morning. I topped off the truck and filled up a 30 gallon poly chemical drum with gas. Anyone else seeing gas shortages at this time?

Supposed to be outages popping up all over the city, particularly in the south evac zones.

I filled up last night at 6:30 and the lines were empty. Worked out, went to HEB two hours later and the lines were five deep.

Just hope and pray that the folks that need to leave can get out. We live in West Houston (where the eye is tracking, as of now) but I feel pretty confident in our condo brick structure. The only thing that worries me is flying glass, and I have no carpentering skills whatsoever. We may be staying with friends in Katy who plan on boarding up this evening.

Cjeremy635
09-11-2008, 12:06 PM
one thing we have in our favor is the ground is generally hard as a rock right now and the trees will be less likely to fall over...if they're strong, healthy trees. now if the ground was moist and we get the expected wind, the tree damage would be more severe.

I hope mine stay put, I've got some really old oaks that I don't want to loose. My area is expecting 75-100 mph winds for sustained periods. Who really knows how bad it's going to be at this point. Anyways, if I have damage, I'll take photos and post them on here after this thing is through. Thank God for homeowner's insurance.....hopefully they will pay if the house is damaged. I've heard some horror stories from previous storms. Anyone ever had a claim with Farmer's Insurance? How do they normally handle their clients?

Double Barrel
09-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Supposed to be outages popping up all over the city, particularly in the south evac zones.

I filled up last night at 6:30 and the lines were empty. Worked out, went to HEB two hours later and the lines were five deep.

Just hope and pray that the folks that need to leave can get out. We live in West Houston (where the eye is tracking, as of now) but I feel pretty confident in our condo brick structure. The only thing that worries me is flying glass, and I have no carpentering skills whatsoever. We may be staying with friends in Katy who plan on boarding up this evening.

Tape up your windows, just in case. At least they won't shatter on you if they do take a hit.

jerek
09-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Tape up your windows, just in case. At least they won't shatter on you if they do take a hit.

Does that help? I've heard otherwise--please comment. Thx man.

michaelm
09-11-2008, 12:35 PM
From Wunderground....wow...

Here's some more info that I found very interesting from further down in the same article

This "Integrated Kinetic Energy" was recently proposed (http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/Powell/BAMS_IKE_Paper_final.pdf) by Dr. Mark Powell of NOAA's Hurricane Research Division as a better measure of the destructive power of a hurricane's storm surge than the usual Category 1-5 Saffir-Simpson scale. For example, Hurricane Katrina hit Mississippi as a strong Category 3 hurricane, yet its storm surge was more characteristic of a Category 5 storm. Dr. Powell came up with a new scale to rate potential storm surge damage based on IKE (not to be confused with Hurricane Ike!) The new scale ranges from 1-6. Katrina and Wilma at their peaks both earned a 5.1 on this scale (Figure 2). At 9:30am EDT this morning, Ike earned a 5.6 on this scale (ftp://ftp.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/pub/hwind/2008/AL092008/0911/1330/AL092008_0911_1330_contour08.png), the highest kinetic energy of any Atlantic storm in the past 40 years.
http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/2008/IKE_Ike.png

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1080&tstamp=200809

HoustonFrog
09-11-2008, 12:43 PM
They sent us home at noon from Conoco Phillips. I-10 West was already backed up, along with 290. It is a zoo out there. I stopped and got a few sandbags for doors, just in case and it was a madhouse.

Luckily we had part of our dead pecan taken off last week. Nice to get lucky.

YellerLotYeller
09-11-2008, 12:59 PM
well....my windows are boarded up, gas tanks full, plenty of water/ice for me, my wife and 2 dogs, plenty of food and a ton of shells for my 12 gauge.....needless to say I'm ready. I will be riding this thing out in Alvin. If it hits 130 mph I will go to my dads house in Silverlake where the trees are tiny.

This should be fun.

nflnutswife
09-11-2008, 01:13 PM
How soon does concrete cure?

It's being poured at my house as we speak and I'm afraid Ike will wash it away!:cry2:

Cjeremy635
09-11-2008, 01:19 PM

It's being poured at my house as we speak and I'm afraid Ike will wash it away!:cry2:

24 hours on average. Actually takes a week or so to be 100%, if I'm not mistaken. You can walk all over it in 24 hours though.

ATX
09-11-2008, 01:25 PM

Yes it does help. It's the reason windshields are made the way they are.

Thorn
09-11-2008, 01:37 PM
so the pressure went UP from 944 to 956. that's a good sign, I guess, but the size of that thing is scary.

GlassHalfFull
09-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Latest computer models. Still trending east.

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809_model_zoom.gif

texasguy346
09-11-2008, 01:41 PM
My mom refuses to evacuate, she wants to keep my dad comfortable and not move him, this storm is going to be too much for their house especially if it moves north a little more. They are under madatory evacuation, just a couple miles inland of trinity bay, she refuses to leave.

I'm not sure what hospice your father is using, but Houston Hospice has an inpatient facility down by the Ronald McDonald House near the medical center. It's a great facility, and it feels nothing like a hospital. Perhaps your mother would be willing to move him there, and I'm certain it will be much safer than staying at home.

Thorn
09-11-2008, 01:44 PM

If that sucker can hit East of Houston that would be great.

Not that I wish harm on anyone else of course, I just would rather not have the dirty side of the storm blowing into my apartment.

Hardcore Texan
09-11-2008, 01:48 PM

The blue line shows the eye passing right over my parent's house. Keep moving East, big guy.

DiapHer
09-11-2008, 01:50 PM

Pam, what did you have poured.. and it also depends on a lot of factors? This is my side of the families expertise!!

Yankee_In_TX
09-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Yes, every gas station in Houston. Buffalo Speedway and 59 cars lining the streets.

I went to court in Richmond, every gas station outside Houston along 59 had gas.

IlliniJen
09-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm starting to feel pretty sick about this. This will be my first hurricane and I'm just freaking out a little. I'm in Midtown and will be hunkering down tomorrow, but I'm not liking this one bit. Please move east!

Hardcore Texan
09-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure what hospice your father is using, but Houston Hospice has an inpatient facility down by the Ronald McDonald House near the medical center. It's a great facility, and it feels nothing like a hospital. Perhaps your mother would be willing to move him there, and I'm certain it will be much safer than staying at home.

Thanks for the info, I was told........

edit - nevermind, my Dad just passed away, my phone just rang and ......i'm speechless.

jerek
I thought this map from the KHOU blog was helpful. Hopefully it's accurate: for us inland folks, it makes it seem like things won't end up so bad.

http://abcotv.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/09/11/ike_sustained_winds_09112008.jpg

Errant Hothy

edit - nevermind, my Dad just passed away, my phone just rang and ......i'm speechless.

I'm sorry for your loss.

DiapHer
09-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Oh geez.... Paul :heart: Thumper take care of everyone!!!

jerek
09-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Man I'm sorry to hear that. I will pray for you and your family. Wish I could offer more.

WWJD
09-11-2008, 02:12 PM
So sorry for your loss! God is with you and your family.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 02:12 PM

Dude...I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss. Prayers sent!!

Yankee_In_TX
09-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Sorry to hear. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. PM sent, btw.

YellerLotYeller
09-11-2008, 02:16 PM

oh my God I am so sorry.

Hardcore Texan
09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks everyone, at least he got to go at home in his sleep. So sorry to derail this thread, I got the call right in the middle of that post I was typing and just went numb......with all the worry and everything for getting them evacuated I just typed it out for some reason, maybe I shouldn't have....I don't know, it's hard to know what to do, I am just sitting in my office stunned by it all.

Cjeremy635
09-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Wow, my heart just sank when I read that. My prayers are with you and your family man. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thorn
09-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone, at least he got to go at home in his sleep. So sorry to derail this thread, I got the call right in the middle of that post I was typing and just went numb......with all the worry and everything for getting them evacuated I just typed it out for some reason, maybe I shouldn't have....I don't know.

We are here for you. Post what you like.

Double Barrel
09-11-2008, 02:21 PM

Well, it's not 100% effective, but it does offer some protection against shattering. It won't stop a 100 mph 2x4, but not much will.

Stay away from those windows that are getting hit with the wind, too.

Yes it does help. It's the reason windshields are made the way they are.

Good example. I was going to say the same thing.

I'm starting to feel pretty sick about this. This will be my first hurricane and I'm just freaking out a little. I'm in Midtown and will be hunkering down tomorrow, but I'm not liking this one bit. Please move east!

It's not fun. During Alicia, half of my mom's house was ripped apart and thrown about 70 yards across the street. It is hours and hours of hard wind slamming your dwelling, and it makes you feel pretty small and weak as a human.

I'm so sorry, HT. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :(

jaayteetx
09-11-2008, 02:22 PM
So sorry for your loss. Another reason to hate this damn hurricane, you don't need to be dealing with all this right now.

MojoMan
09-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Big gas lines over hear by the Galleria. The HEB is jam packed. The parking lot was full, and they were almost out of baskets. The shelves were bare in the bottled water section, but most everything else was pretty well stocked. A woman in front of me in line said a number of the local gas stations were out of gasoline, and she had to drive down a couple of miles to find a station that had any. The Valero by me had a line over 10 cars deep at two different entrances.

IlliniJen
09-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone, at least he got to go at home in his sleep. So sorry to derail this thread, I got the call right in the middle of that post I was typing and just went numb......with all the worry and everything for getting them evacuated I just typed it out for some reason, maybe I shouldn't have....I don't know, it's hard to know what to do, I am just sitting in my office stunned by it all.

Sorry for your loss, man. Take care of yourself and your family.

Showtime100
09-11-2008, 02:27 PM

I'm so sorry, Hardcore. I wish ........I'm just sorry, man.

IlliniJen
09-11-2008, 02:28 PM
It's not fun. During Alicia, half of my mom's house was ripped apart and thrown about 70 yards across the street. It is hours and hours of hard wind slamming your dwelling, and it makes you feel pretty small and weak as a human.

I'm hoping the wind won't be as bad near downtown. I also live in a middle unit of a row of townhomes, so i'm protected on two sides by neighbors.

So, I just went out to get gas (didn't work out...everyone's out), some more water, a flashlight (and I got home, got out of my car and sitting in front of my eyes, my "lost" heavy duty maglite, wtf!) and my stress buy: two packs of Camel Turkish Silver.

Should I open my windows a sliver tomorrow to even out the pressure? I have large windows on my second and third floors that would be pretty hard to board up without a lot of help, probably professional due to height.

****. I just need a rent-a-husband for the day to get my through this. I'm going to need some chemical help just to sleep tonight.

Carr Bombed
09-11-2008, 02:31 PM

The blue line shows the eye passing right over my parent's house. Keep moving East, big guy.

Well.........the purple, white, and red lines pretty much have the eye passing right over my house! :jogger:

Oh man I just read about your Dad......I'm so sorry..

Double Barrel
09-11-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm hoping the wind won't be as bad near downtown. I also live in a middle unit of a row of townhomes, so i'm protected on two sides by neighbors.

So, I just went out to get gas (didn't work out...everyone's out), some more water, a flashlight (and I got home, got out of my car and sitting in front of my eyes, my "lost" heavy duty maglite, wtf!) and my stress buy: two packs of Camel Turkish Silver.

Should I open my windows a sliver tomorrow to even out the pressure? I have large windows on my second and third floors that would be pretty hard to board up without a lot of help, probably professional due to height.

****. I just need a rent-a-husband for the day to get my through this. I'm going to need some chemical help just to sleep tonight.

Sounds like you got a good plan of action (except for the husband part...good luck with all that).

I bought some extra batteries for my Game Boy Advances, as well, because I have little doubt that we'll lose electricity pretty quickly with this thing. And I get bored easily sitting in the dark.

I've heard different angles on the idea of leaving your window open. To be honest, I have no firm info regarding the effectiveness of that strategy. Hopefully someone here can shed some knowledge on it.

Errant Hothy

Open the winds if you want, but it will not help equalize the pressure in your house. Might generate a nice breeze to replace your AC flow if you lose power.

Honoring Earl 34
Here ya go Jen .

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/09/live_chat_on_ik_3.html

IlliniJen
09-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Here ya go Jen .

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/09/live_chat_on_ik_3.html

I love the Sci Guy. He's my freakin' weather hero.

Honoring Earl 34
09-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I love the Sci Guy. He's my freakin' weather hero.

Maybe he can answer your questions .

Maybe he rents out .

TEXANS84
09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
http://www.khou.com/images/slideshow/countiesmapsike/images/0301.jpg

Thorn
09-11-2008, 03:06 PM
I hope my apartment building is stong, otherwise I might be out on the street after this weekend.

HOU-TEX
09-11-2008, 03:32 PM

Damn, bro. I'm not sure what to say here, man. Our prayers are with and your family. It's nice he got to go peaceful. Keep your head up my man, you know he's want you to.

Double Barrel
09-11-2008, 03:38 PM

More info: http://www.snopes.com/science/hurricane.asp

ATX
09-11-2008, 03:41 PM
I have a bad feeling about this storm. It's looking more and more like it's going to hit the Freeport/Brazoria County area then come up straight through Houston. Y'all take care in Houston and the surrounding areas, it's going to be a rough ride.

michaelm
09-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Recent movement may indicate a landfall east of Galveston.

From Impact Weather (a weather service that my company uses for offshore operations):

Recent satellite data indicates that Ike has been moving to the northwest at a slightly faster forward speed over the past few hours. The threat of landfall occurring farther north along the Texas coast from Galveston Bay to Sabine Pass is increasing. We expect to adjust our forecast track to reflect this change on our new advisory, which will be issued by 4:30PM CDT. Our new forecast track will project a landfall over the eastern portion of Galveston Bay very early Saturday morning after midnight

Errant Hothy
09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
New forcast from the NHC:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0908W5+gif/201346W_sm.gif

Pressures dropped again.

Errant Hothy
09-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Ike's size is becoming really scary.
http://maps.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809_sat.jpg

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 04:08 PM
New forcast from the NHC:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0908W5+gif/201346W_sm.gif

Rita:

Errant Hothy
09-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Rita:

http://patrick.wagstrom.net/resources/images/blog/hurricaneRita.jpg

I don't think Houston is going to get that lucky.

AnthonyE
09-11-2008, 04:13 PM

Oh my God. I'm so sorry. My prayers go out to you and your family. I'm very sorry to hear this.

AnthonyE
09-11-2008, 04:14 PM
lol, nice tags guys.

JDizzle
09-11-2008, 04:27 PM
moar east plz.

GuerillaBlack
09-11-2008, 04:29 PM
My family in Lake Charles are under a mandatory evacuation.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't think Houston is going to get that lucky.

Power of positive thinking my man...

(ps. my bad on posting the image of Rita - was merely trying to make a comparison - jackass bandwidth guy)

ledzeppelin229
09-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Well I talked to my mom this morning and its looking like a pretty good idea to remain in San Marcos even if it means missing the game on Sunday. Sounds like the tailgating might be sparse and trying to drive tomorrow or even Saturday is probably a little absurd.

Parents are all the way up in Spring and have a generator so I don't think they'll have any problems.

TexanSam
09-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Parents are all the way up in Spring and have a generator so I don't think they'll have any problems.

Gah! Your parents are lucky. We aren't so fortunate :(

texasguy346
09-11-2008, 05:13 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this Hardcore Texan. I lost my mother to cancer a little over two years ago. It's a very tough thing to go through. Just lean on your loved ones & take care of one another. May God bless & keep you and your family.

HoustonFrog
09-11-2008, 08:06 PM

Sorry to hear this Hardcore. My prayers are with you and your family at this time. This really puts alot in perspective. Remember if you ever need to talk to people are PM or whatever, alot of us are here.

Hardcore Texan
09-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Let's get this thread back on track shall we, looks like Ike is going to be quite a *****.....LOL

Honoring Earl 34
09-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Let's get this thread back on track shall we, looks like Ike is going to be quite a *****.....LOL

Yep ... Frank Billingsley on channel 2 said it's almost in the exact spot as Rita was . I think Rita was 26.0 and 89.9 and Ike is 26.2 and 89.9 .

Thorn
09-11-2008, 08:57 PM
There is no doubt this one has me scared. Because I'm in an apartment, my windows aren't boarded up. Not good. I probably would have been safer riding it out at work, but that was changed at the last moment.

HoustonFrog
09-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Yep ... Frank Billingsley on channel 2 said it's almost in the exact spot as Rita was . I think Rita was 26.0 and 89.9 and Ike is 26.2 and 89.9 .

Yes and I hope it keep moving East. Rigth now we are still at home an dhave food and sand bags for some flooding....if it happens off of the 610 and Ella area. We will either wait it out or head to Austin dead early.

FILO_girl
09-11-2008, 09:19 PM

I am so sorry to hear this!

TexanSam
09-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Some good news

8 p.m. UPDATE: This evening's computer models continue to support a landfall near Galveston Island. On the positive side, nearly all of the intensity model guidance now calls for less than a major hurricane at landfall.

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/09/ike_now_targeti.html

FILO_girl
09-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm hoping the wind won't be as bad near downtown. I also live in a middle unit of a row of townhomes, so i'm protected on two sides by neighbors. Me too.

So, I just went out to get gas (didn't work out...everyone's out), some more water, a flashlight (and I got home, got out of my car and sitting in front of my eyes, my "lost" heavy duty maglite, wtf!) and my stress buy: two packs of Camel Turkish Silver. Was my choice when I smoked.

Should I open my windows a sliver tomorrow to even out the pressure? I have large windows on my second and third floors that would be pretty hard to board up without a lot of help, probably professional due to height. Don't open the windows!

Dunno about the husband thing...LOL!! The sleep thing I do...I was so keyed up last night I didn't sleep at all and went onto work on pure adrenaline...when I got home this afternoon and the line went east of us...I got really tired and took a 3 hr nap. I will sleep better tonight. :cool:

Thorn
09-11-2008, 09:25 PM
That is indeed good news. I hope it pans out. (responding to Texas Sam)

TexanSam
09-11-2008, 09:25 PM

No. This does not work! It would be even more dangerous!

Thorn
09-11-2008, 09:28 PM
No. This does not work! It would be even more dangerous!

Exactly, don't open your windows, and it does no good to put tape on them. About the only thing you can do good is board up, and if you cann't do that, just keep 'em shut. and keeps stuff away from your windows you want to have after the storm, just in case.

MojoMan
09-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I just need a rent-a-husband for the day to get my through this. I'm going to need some chemical help just to sleep tonight.

If a man needs a rent-a-wife for an evening, there is a very specific term that is used to characterize the service she provides.

Just kidding.

:)

eriadoc
09-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Exactly, don't open your windows, and it does no good to put tape on them. About the only thing you can do good is board up, and if you cann't do that, just keep 'em shut. and keeps stuff away from your windows you want to have after the storm, just in case.

There is one benefit to taping the windows, and that is prevention of flying glass. Use duct tape, though, not masking or whatever. The windows will still break if they're going to, but the debris will be easier to contend with.

The1ApplePie
09-11-2008, 11:48 PM
With the size of the damn thing I don't think it really matter where you are except as far as wind goes. A little west or a little east might not make that much of a difference.

Most models still show the Houston area either getting the dirty side or the center itself.

I think Frank said it was like 70% chance of Houston getting the dirty side or center.

Not good odds

IlliniJen
09-11-2008, 11:55 PM
With the size of the damn thing I don't think it really matter where you are except as far as wind goes. A little west or a little east might not make that much of a difference.

Most models still show the Houston area either getting the dirty side or the center itself.

I think Frank said it was like 70% chance of Houston getting the dirty side or center.

Not good odds

What's worse, the dirty side or the center? The models are still tracking a little to the east, so we could be on the east side or in the center if trends continue. Ike isn't getting stronger, though, and could come ashore as a Cat 2.

Hervoyel
09-12-2008, 12:00 AM
I think it's all going to turn out generally fine as far as Ike goes. It's sliding up the coast slowly and by tomorrow evening we'll be in a fairly good spot to (unfortunately for them) watch it bash the crap out of everything east of here to the border. We'll get rain and wind and some trees go down and some windows get broken but overall this is not going to be anywhere near as bad as it could have been (much like Rita).

The1ApplePie
09-12-2008, 12:14 AM
I think it's all going to turn out generally fine as far as Ike goes. It's sliding up the coast slowly and by tomorrow evening we'll be in a fairly good spot to (unfortunately for them) watch it bash the crap out of everything east of here to the border. We'll get rain and wind and some trees go down and some windows get broken but overall this is not going to be anywhere near as bad as it could have been (much like Rita).

Sadly right now its more probability than science

Right now its only a 25% chance of doing this scenario

2BCF
09-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Have to laugh at some of the sensational weather reporting on Ike.
Bill White said expect to see a "20 foot wall of water" for those who choose to stay in coastal areas.

Just having all those politicians hogging camera time and patting eachother on the back already. Spare me.
I think this is the true dirty side of the hurricane.

Ch 11's new guy: In response to a Houston viewer's question about wind..."expect 80 to 100 mph winds for 5 straight hours". I think Dr Neil chuckled a little as he said it.

toronto
09-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Bill White said expect to see a "20 foot wall of water" for those who choose to stay in coastal areas.

Just having all those politicians hogging camera time and patting eachother on the back already. Spare me.

Ch 11's new guy: In response to a Houston viewer's question about wind..."expect 80 to 100 mph winds for 5 straight hours". I think Dr Neil chuckled a little as he said it.

LOL at Anderson Cooper begging the CNN weather guy to email them so they know when to broadcast outside tomorrow. Ok Anderson, I get it. You're a dangerous guy.

Thorn
09-12-2008, 05:19 AM
looks like it's going to be a cat 3 before landfall. This is not good.

Silver Oak
09-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Ch. 2 just had Rick Smith on as they were taking down the practice bubble. I had forgotten about that facility as it is way too fragile for 70+ mph winds.

GuerillaBlack
09-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Ike surge in Pensacola yesterday: http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-83102?ref=feeds%2Fnewsiest

Yankee_In_TX
09-12-2008, 06:34 AM

Channel 11 had "Hurricane Tips" on KHOU.com

One was fill your bath tub

Another was stay away from windows, if you can't then get in a bath tub and put a mattress over your head.

Someone left a comment asking if that was such a good idea since it was full of water :)

GlassHalfFull
09-12-2008, 06:35 AM
Ch. 2 just had Rick Smith on as they were taking down the practice bubble. I had forgotten about that facility as it is way too fragile for 70+ mph winds.

I saw that too. They are planning on putting water on top to hold it down.

Yankee_In_TX
09-12-2008, 06:35 AM
looks like it's going to be a cat 3 before landfall. This is not good.

Grumble.

We're a "game time" decision on whether we're going to friends' house in Humble or not...

Thorn
09-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Grumble.

We're a "game time" decision on whether we're going to friends' house in Humble or not...

unless the storm makes an unusual shift to the north, Houston will have sustained hurricane force winds all over the city from about 10 to 11PM tonight to sometime Saturday morning. It ain't gonna be nice in Houston as far as we know now.

Yankee_In_TX
09-12-2008, 06:48 AM
This may be a dumb question - but winds see to be projected from N/NNE/NE. If our only windows face E and W, and are protected by a deck (meaning set back about 5 feet with floor, walls, and roof), are they decently safe?

Thorn
09-12-2008, 06:54 AM
This may be a dumb question - but winds see to be projected from N/NNE/NE. If our only windows face E and W, and are protected by a deck (meaning set back about 5 feet with floor, walls, and roof), are they decently safe?

actually, no windows are safe unless they are boarded up. that's my main concern about my apartment.

Old School
09-12-2008, 06:57 AM
I would think the west windows are fairly safe but the East windows can possibly catch things flying from that direction. The only thing that the NNE direction does is change the angle at which the wind hits the window.

YellerLotYeller
09-12-2008, 07:37 AM
My nervous level is through the roof.....I usually sleep til 10 on the average Fri. Alvin looks like a ghost town, and I heard a couple of my neighbors leave in the middle of the night last night.

The waves are crashing over the seawall already.

Thorn
09-12-2008, 07:45 AM
I was almost on the verge of quitting smoking, now this. I swear I've gone from about four cigs a day to almost two packs in a matter of a few days. When this $^*^#@@!! hurricane is over, I'm gonna have to cut down and quit all over again.

I'm so nervious I just can hardly sleep or think. I keep checking my hurricane list over and over to make sure I've done everything. I practically live for the next hurricane updates to the sites.

gtexan02
09-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Whoever suggested putting duct tape on windows, I would high suggest against it---unless you want to spend the next week trying to get it off

gtexan02
09-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Anyone going the generator route? Im nervous about my relatives, who all live in Clear Lake and are sitting out the storm with a generator.

The Sci Guy on his blog said that a direct hit from a cat 3 will result in around 2 weeks of no power for Houston. Not good at all

Old School
09-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Whoever suggested putting duct tape on windows, I would high suggest against it---unless you want to spend the next week trying to get it off
It takes no time to remove the glue with a little alcohol or thinner. It takes a long time to remove the shards from your furniture and hair....I'll go with the thinner! :twocents:

Texan Asylum
09-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Folks, I and my family will keep you guys in our prayers throughout the day and night.

God's blessings and protection for you all.

Showtime100
09-12-2008, 08:04 AM
I was almost on the verge of quitting smoking, now this. I swear I've gone from about four cigs a day to almost two packs in a matter of a few days. When this $^*^#@@!! hurricane is over, I'm gonna have to cut down and quit all over again.

I'm so nervious I just can hardly sleep or think. I keep checking my hurricane list over and over to make sure I've done everything. I practically live for the next hurricane updates to the sites.

Does seem like it's sitting out there teasing but once it get's in gear they believe it will blow right through (easy for me to say). Tonight late should be the story. Hope you got your Spec's. Good luck on the smoking thing, but your timing sucks..lol. I've got to kick the habit myself.

Just looked at The Spot in Gaveston. That water spilling in the road is new.

http://www.thespotgalveston.com/webcam.html#webcam

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Miscellaneous/thespotmpCAL55UG7.jpg

Showtime100
09-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Folks, I and my family will keep you guys in our prayers throughout the day and night.

God's blessings and protection for you all.

What Bob said from me as well.

The1ApplePie
09-12-2008, 08:29 AM
The storm surge is already huge and the thing is still far off and not at full strength.

I guess the thing being the size of Australia lets it move more water than its category indicates.

TexanSam
09-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Only about 3 people in our neighborhood boarded up their windows so I feel a little better about not having our house boarded up.

Of those 3 people, 2 of them boarded it up from the inside lol.

I hope we don't go a long time without power...

gtexan02
09-12-2008, 08:31 AM
National Weather Service just said if you live on the coast, and attempt to "ride this out" you will be facing "Certain Death"

Please everyone, be safe

As Hurricane Ike makes its way to the Texas Gulf Coast, the National Weather Service issued a blunt warning to residents of Galveston. "Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single-family, one- or two-story homes, will face certain death."

gtexan02
09-12-2008, 08:34 AM
With all the talk of hurricanes, wind, rain, and quitting smoking, I thought this joke was funny. Hope it helps relax some of you guys:

Two old ladies were waiting for a bus and one of them was smoking a cigarette. It started to rain, so the old lady reached into her purse, took out a condom, cut off the tip and slipped it over her cigarette and continued to smoke.

Her friend saw this and said, "Hey that's a good idea! But, what is that thing you put over your cigarette?"

The other old lady said, "It's a condom."

"A condom? Where do you get those?"

The lady with the cigarette told her friend that you could purchase condoms at the pharmacy. When the two old ladies arrived downtown, the old lady with all the questions went into the pharmacy and asked the pharmacist if he sold condoms. The pharmacist said yes, but looked a little surprised that this old woman was interested in condoms, so he asked her, "What size do you want?"

The old lady thought for a minute and said, "One that will fit a Camel."

Yankee_In_TX
09-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Models don't look good - we might spend the night at Adam and Stef's...

SheTexan
09-12-2008, 08:46 AM
That brought a good chuckle this morning gt. I think we all needed that too.

My concern right now is that they got all the mandatory zip codes correct, and didn't leave some out that might need to be there. My family decided to "hunker down" because we are not in the mandatory areas, but, I have to admit I'm a little nervous living so close to the ship channel.

Showtime100
09-12-2008, 08:48 AM
With all the talk of hurricanes, wind, rain, and quitting smoking, I thought this joke was funny. Hope it helps relax some of you guys:

Two old ladies were waiting for a bus and one of them was smoking a cigarette. It started to rain, so the old lady reached into her purse, took out a condom, cut off the tip and slipped it over her cigarette and continued to smoke.

Her friend saw this and said, "Hey that's a good idea! But, what is that thing you put over your cigarette?"

The other old lady said, "It's a condom."

"A condom? Where do you get those?"

The lady with the cigarette told her friend that you could purchase condoms at the pharmacy. When the two old ladies arrived downtown, the old lady with all the questions went into the pharmacy and asked the pharmacist if he sold condoms. The pharmacist said yes, but looked a little surprised that this old woman was interested in condoms, so he asked her, "What size do you want?"

The old lady thought for a minute and said, "One that will fit a Camel."

lol:

eriadoc
09-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Regarding the tape on the windows, it's a good idea just to keep the glass from shattering. As for removing the tape afterward, any petroleum product will cut the adhesive quite easily. They sell adhesive removers, but to be honest, WD40 does about as good a job as anything.

If it sticks, and it's not supposed to, use WD40. If it doesn't stick, and it's supposed to, use duct tape - all you ever need to know about home repair :D

Thorn
09-12-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm wondering then, and this is an honest question here, why does taping your windows show up as a no-no in my list of hurricane preperations?

gtexan02
09-12-2008, 09:00 AM
There is an urban legend that putting a big X on your window with tape will prevent it from breaking.

Thats just incorrect.

HOWEVER, taping your windows up WILL prevent the glass from shattering if it gets hit. The glass will still break, but you won't have shards all over your home. It will break "safely" like a windshield

Yankee_In_TX
09-12-2008, 09:02 AM
As for windows - here's what we do (works if you only have 2 or 3 windows). We put folded up boxes against out windows, pull the blinds down, and nail the bottom into the window sill.

I figure anything hitting the window hard enough will still come through, but it should puncture the cardboard and blinds leaving most of the glass outside.

Completely untested on a broken window.

toronto
09-12-2008, 09:21 AM
man watching CNN....

this storm looks just brutal.

the shots of the storm surge are already unreal, and this is just the beginning. I remember Alicia as a kid, and remember being without power for 10 days or so....

Figures, I was happy, no school.

Speedy
09-12-2008, 09:41 AM
What's worse, the dirty side or the center? The models are still tracking a little to the east, so we could be on the east side or in the center if trends continue. Ike isn't getting stronger, though, and could come ashore as a Cat 2.

The closer to the eye you are, the worse it is no matter which side of it you are on.

The "dirty" side just means that the winds are typically a little stronger than the opposite side because the forward motion of the storm adds 8-12 mph (however fast the storm is moving) to that side of the storm, where it would be the opposite on the other side.

The "dirty" side is also the side that has the most activity further away from the center. But as I said, the closer to the eye you are, the less any of that matters.

The Sci Guy on his blog said that a direct hit from a cat 3 will result in around 2 weeks of no power for Houston. Not good at all

We were without power for 2 weeks with Alicia.

Vinny
09-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I just finished boarding up as I'm only a few miles from a beach and the Houston Yacht club....so Mayor Bill White tells me I'm facing certain death...so it's just about time to stop screwing in masonry screws and hit the road. Good luck to everyone and thanks to all who wished me good luck in PMs and whatnot. Thanks for the offers to help me relocate/shelter also....you guys are great. Many of us won't have power for a week or so, so make sure to get a few good books and catch up on your reading.

Thorn
09-12-2008, 09:51 AM
khou news is sometimes showing zip codes with predicted max sustained winds. the next time they do, I'll try and write some of them down and post.

Vinny
09-12-2008, 09:52 AM
khou news is sometimes showing zip codes with predicted max sustained winds. the next time they do, I'll try and write some of them down and post.

http://www.houstonhidefromthewind.org/

eriadoc
09-12-2008, 09:53 AM
At this point, everyone is getting the same info. Nonetheless, here's the latest from my folks, 8:45AM CDT:

Latest satellite now shows that after may attempts an eye is forming and Ike continues to strengthen. This is already a dangerous situation and going to get worse. Max winds are reported near 105 mph but an instrumented platform over 50 mi from the center found max winds of 125 mph at 400 ft elevation. The development of an eye suggests that further strengthening is likely and our forecast still calls for a moderate CAT 3 with 120 mph and higher gusts with landfall on Jamaica Beach late tonight. Tidal flooding is already overspreading roads in Galveston and waves are crashing over the sea wall depositing debris all the way on the other side. There remains many people on the island and their opportunity to leave is almost over, even though strong winds/rains are just approaching the coast.

Tropical storm force winds should reach the coast by noon and in the Houston area after 3pm. Rain bands will start moving inland later this morning.

Coast guard reporting a Cypriot freighter loaded with industrial coke is wallowing helplessly in growing seas after losing power about 90 mi SE of Galveston.

This storm is starting to grow massive in size, more than the “max winds” suggest. The impacts will feel like almost 1 full category more than the max winds suggest. In many ways, it’s starting to look like a large west Pacific large typhoon. Storms like this can do erratic things near landfall. While I expect strengthening to 120 mph CAT 3, I maintain a 10% CAT 4 possibility given evolution of the storm and improving satellite presentation this morning.

One final note…in addition to widespread loss of power, you can expect loss of cell coverage and cable services as the storm comes inland. A radio powered radio or conventional radio powered TV will become the only way to maintain information flow once the storm makes landfall.

Catastrophic damage is possible in Galveston.

YellerLotYeller
09-12-2008, 09:54 AM

77511(Alvin) is not listed, but I'm guessing about 90-95 mph.

Thorn
09-12-2008, 09:55 AM

Vinny, you rock! thanks!

jerek
09-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Of those 3 people, 2 of them boarded it up from the inside lol.

The idea of boarding it up from the inside is that while your glass may break, it (and anything else) probably won't enter into your house.

My understanding is you have to be careful hanging plywood outside--winds can come up under any cracks you leave and rip it off, especially if it is hung outside the flush inset of your window.

I'm still going back and forth on the taping thing. We're in West Houston (BW 8 and Westheimer) and I guess my only concern is flying objects, which tape won't stop, but I'm curious about whether or not it really does help contain flying glass (my big concern.)

I should've spent a weekend building plywood shutters back in Februrary but it's too late for that now. Nothing to do but cross my fingers and pray for the best.

texasguy346
09-12-2008, 09:57 AM
My concern right now is that they got all the mandatory zip codes correct, and didn't leave some out that might need to be there. My family decided to "hunker down" because we are not in the mandatory areas, but, I have to admit I'm a little nervous living so close to the ship channel.

That's my concern as well. I'm over in Deer Park, and we're outside the mandatory evacuation zones. However, we're not that far from those mandatory evacuation zones. I'm fully anticipating that we'll see quite a bit of damage from this storm, but hopefully the storm surge doesn't make it's way into our area.

Errant Hothy
09-12-2008, 09:58 AM
National Weather Service just said if you live on the coast, and attempt to "ride this out" you will be facing "Certain Death"

Please everyone, be safe

My wife had class last night at UNT, she is studying this kind of stuff (disaster planning, and such) and both of her professors (who work with FEMA on a regular basis here in North Texas) took time out of the classes to talk about the language in the warnings.

Texan_Bill
09-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Rita!! Rita!! Rita!! Rita!! Rita!!

Ike - Rita is calling. She wants you to follow her.

Errant Hothy
09-12-2008, 10:04 AM
After checking the satellite images, the clounds that are currently over DFW are part of Ike. The size of this storm is bordering on epic.

eriadoc
09-12-2008, 10:05 AM
The idea of boarding it up from the inside is that while your glass may break, it (and anything else) probably won't enter into your house.

My understanding is you have to be careful hanging plywood outside--winds can come up under any cracks you leave and rip it off, especially if it is hung outside the flush inset of your window.

I'm still going back and forth on the taping thing. We're in West Houston (BW 8 and Westheimer) and I guess my only concern is flying objects, which tape won't stop, but I'm curious about whether or not it really does help contain flying glass (my big concern.)

I should've spent a weekend building plywood shutters back in Februrary but it's too late for that now. Nothing to do but cross my fingers and pray for the best.

It absolutely helps. I speak from experience. As you said, it won't stop the panes from breaking, either from debris or from pressure, but it will ameliorate the effects of flying glass.

Señor Stan
09-12-2008, 10:06 AM

I've got a sliding glass door by the hot tub that I need to tape...

Sincerely,

Hunter Pence

jerek
09-12-2008, 10:22 AM
It absolutely helps. I speak from experience. As you said, it won't stop the panes from breaking, either from debris or from pressure, but it will ameliorate the effects of flying glass.

Fair enough, you've convinced me. I'll tape up later in the day depending on how this forecast shakes out. I'm still hoping for (no offense, my east side brothers and sisters) an easterly turn.

If you speak from experience, are Cat 1/low Cat 2 winds likely to shatter glass? We have a fairly sturdy picket fence directly in front of our downstairs that I am concerned about, as well as a community pool in which they (our ***** condo association, which I am already considering planning litigation against--they failed to drain our pool after promising they would) battoned down the pool chairs with a measly roof-rack cable.

Texan Asylum
09-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Just seen a report that power in New Orleans has been knocked out.

Hang tight folks.

Also, a ocean tanker with 20 some people aboard is broke down and stranded 90 miles south of Galveston. It's going to be a long afternoon and night.

jerek
09-12-2008, 10:26 AM
LOL and simultaneously sad for the morons on the Galveston beach and people who refuse to leave the mandatory evac zones. I consider myself pretty adventurous but no thanks to *******ing with Mother Nature.

CTWade
Doesn't like there is too much doubt with the path anymore.... All the major models are in tight agreement. It's coming to Houston via Galveston weather we like it or not.

Don't give too much credence to the wind speed. This is probably one of the most powerful storms the Gulf has ever seen, and it's surge will be shocking. Already Galveston is getting the crap beat out of it even though the storm is hours away.

Pic from downtown Galveston, an hour ago:

http://i.flhurricane.com/images/2008/GalvestonStrand.jpg

Give some stream-age from all the news stations plus radar and satellite coverage.

http://flhurricane.com/ikecoverage.html

jerek
They've got an interview on channel 11 where a lady is saying she is staying behind because she has faith "God will protect her."

Not one to judge, but maybe God is telling you to leave?

ATX
09-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Doesn't like there is too much doubt with the path anymore.... All the major models are in tight agreement. It's coming to Houston via Galveston weather we like it or not.

Don't give too much credence to the wind speed. This is probably one of the most powerful storms the Gulf has ever seen, and it's surge will be shocking. Already Galveston is getting the crap beat out of it even though the storm is hours away.

Give some stream-age from all the news stations plus radar and satellite coverage.

That's a higher part of the island too. Water is already crashing over the seawall in Galveston, that whole island is going under water.

Texan Asylum
09-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Don't give too much credence to the wind speed. This is probably one of the most powerful storms the Gulf has ever seen, and it's surge will be shocking.

The ominous tone of the voices from the Weather Channel folks is a pretty good indicator of that.

Storm surges are being felt as far away as Florida! The photos are amazing, and it's hundreds of miles away!

eriadoc
09-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Fair enough, you've convinced me. I'll tape up later in the day depending on how this forecast shakes out. I'm still hoping for (no offense, my east side brothers and sisters) an easterly turn.

If you speak from experience, are Cat 1/low Cat 2 winds likely to shatter glass? We have a fairly sturdy picket fence directly in front of our downstairs that I am concerned about, as well as a community pool in which they (our ***** condo association, which I am already considering planning litigation against--they failed to drain our pool after promising they would) battoned down the pool chairs with a measly roof-rack cable.

950mb is low enough pressure to break windows, technically, but that's not what I'd be worried about. If a tornado forms, that will pressure pop windows, among other things, but really flying debris crashing into windows is the top threat this far away from the coast. I'm in the same boat as you, BTW. As long as I can dodge trees, I feel OK about my chances. That's a big if, of course.

jerek
09-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Exact projections seem to widely vary (which is understandable.) A lot of them have the eye passing over downtown or just east of it, others have it significantly further west. Any ideas?

Double Barrel
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Prepare a place in your house NOW that you and your loved ones can go to in case you hear the dreaded 'freight train' sound from a tornado. If you have stairs, the stairwell beneath is the safest spot. Otherwise, a windowless room or bathroom are good spots. I remember my dad would even have the mattress nearby to cover us for protection in a worst case scenario.

And don't forget to put shoes for each of you in this place, because if something does happen, you don't want to have bare feet to get out of the scene when it calms downs. Lots of glass and other dangerous objects.

jerek
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Sad to see that Galveston is going to get donkey punched. My wife and I shot our engagement photos there last spring and we've had several memorable trips there. Hoping and praying for the best for all.

Errant Hothy
09-12-2008, 10:46 AM

Well The Strand survived the 1900 'cane, so here's to hoping it makes it through Ike.

jerek
Prepare a place in your house NOW that you and your loved ones can go to in case you hear the dreaded 'freight train' sound from a tornado. If you have stairs, the stairwell beneath is the safest spot. Otherwise, a windowless room or bathroom are good spots. I remember my dad would even have the mattress nearby to cover us for protection in a worst case scenario.

And don't forget to put shoes for each of you in this place, because if something does happen, you don't want to have bare feet to get out of the scene when it calms downs. Lots of glass and other dangerous objects.

Already thought about the shoes ... plan on wearing mine until tomorrow!

We have an interior bathroom on the first floor ... just hope my wife and I don't have to spend 12 hours in there (it's about 5x6 feet, including sink and toilet!)

Double Barrel
Well The Strand survived the 1900 'cane, so here's to hoping it makes it through Ike.

And Carla in the early '60's. That one was far bigger than Ike.

2BCF
950mb is low enough pressure to break windows, technically, but that's not what I'd be worried about. If a tornado forms, that will pressure pop windows, among other things, but really flying debris crashing into windows is the top threat this far away from the coast. I'm in the same boat as you, BTW. As long as I can dodge trees, I feel OK about my chances. That's a big if, of course.

Same here. Surrounded by huge oak trees & some very tall palms.
Not looking forward to any long power outages either. Sorta kicking myself for not getting a small generator and cheap a/c window unit just in case.

Texan_Bill
09-12-2008, 10:53 AM

Unfortunately that was about the only thing that survived the storm of 1900...

IlliniJen
09-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Already thought about the shoes ... plan on wearing mine until tomorrow!

We have an interior bathroom on the first floor ... just hope my wife and I don't have to spend 12 hours in there (it's about 5x6 feet, including sink and toilet!)

I'm doing the same thing, though with two cats, which will be the most challenging thing. I gotta catch both at the same time and crate them up, otherwise it'll be tough.

I'm going to put my couch cushions in my bathtub. My foot supply will consist of bread and peanut butter, with tuna and Chef Boyardee if necessary. I'm trying to treat this like a little camp out, but this storm is not doing any of the things I thought it might do to mitigate some of the risk.

I woke up this morning at 9am and there was a dead quiet outside. No trash trucks, no traffic...reminds me of what it was like during Rita when everything was a ghost town.

jerek
09-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Out of our entire condo complex, only maybe 2-3 are actually boarding their windows. A lot of these folks have lived here for decades. I'm hoping they--and I--are right.

TexanSam
09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
LOL and simultaneously sad for the morons on the Galveston beach and people who refuse to leave the mandatory evac zones. I consider myself pretty adventurous but no thanks to *******ing with Mother Nature.

Yeah they were interviewing on by phone on Channel 11. Poor woman. She said she's not scared because of her faith, which I guess is good. If I saw a huge hurricane out my window and I lived in Galveston, I would be scared regardless. Hope those that decided to remain are okay though.

devo-x
09-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Is this site still online?

Warning: mssql_connect() [function.mssql-connect]: Unable to connect to server: 204.235.237.202 in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\oemwind\db_connect.php on line 8
Could not connect

I hope everyone stays safe from the hurricane -

Texan_Bill
09-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm heading to Spec's Liquor and then I will be ready.

TexanSam
09-12-2008, 11:07 AM
I wonder what the biggest hurricane on record is? Ike is gigantic.

ATX
09-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Working for me

Mr PC
09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Its coming right for Houston, but the city is far enough inland that hopefully everyone will be ok. Hope it passes over quickly and that everyone and their property remains safe. Good luck everybody.

Old School
09-12-2008, 11:10 AM

I got that message too the first time...Keep trying!!

Any of the Woodlands/Spring people know what 45 looks like? My wife and kids myght try and leave tonight

Mr PC
09-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Its a big one. We are getting strong winds here in New Orleans, and the storm is over 200 miles away.

CTWade
09-12-2008, 11:14 AM
More images from Galveston I chopped from the screens.

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/9885/ikestreampic1hl9.jpg

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/7325/ikestreampic2td4.jpg

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/4702/ikestreampic3rj0.jpg

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7431/ikestreampic4jy3.jpg

Señor Stan
09-12-2008, 11:15 AM

Any of the Woodlands/Spring people know what 45 looks like? My wife and kids myght try and leave tonight

http://image0.weatherbonk.com/servlet/CamImage?id=_wc_1142897958973

ATX
09-12-2008, 11:15 AM

I wouldn't wait until tonight.

TexanSam
09-12-2008, 11:18 AM

I would leave as soon as possible.

Are you leaving to head to the Spring or Woodlands area or do you live in one of those areas and heading even farther north?

Old School
09-12-2008, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't wait until tonight.
Thanks for the pic Stan...

ATX: I don't want her to stick around either but Im down here in Brasil and don't have much say in the matter...

WWJD
09-12-2008, 11:20 AM
My great grandfather clung to a pole and survived in 1900. He lost his wife and children though. He never was able to find what happened to their bodies. Scary.

Old School
09-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I would leave as soon as possible.

Are you leaving to head to the Spring or Woodlands area or do you live in one of those areas and heading even farther north?

She will be heading to just outside of Dallas. She has an old friend there.

2BCF
09-12-2008, 11:22 AM

Yeah, I don't know about those projections. The program's guestimates seem pretty high to me. Those are sustained winds projections. Once Ike hits land he'll lose alot of his punch. Right now the buoy markers in the gulf within Ike are showing about the same wind speeds projected for west Houston after landfall.
conversion fyi: 5Knots=5.8 MPH

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/radial_search.php?storm=at4

jaayteetx
09-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Saw on the weather channel an estimated 30,000 on Galveston island are going to try and ride the storm out. Unbelievable!

Texan Asylum
09-12-2008, 11:36 AM
My great grandfather clung to a pole and survived in 1900. He lost his wife and children though. He never was able to find what happened to their bodies. Scary.

I grew up in Houston and Pasadena hearing horror stories of that storm told by my GrandPa.

I still have family (brother, cousins, aunts and uncles) down there.

I actually was talking with LYB last week about the prospect of me coming down there later this week or weekend. Seeking the answer in prayer, the answer I got in return was a definate "No"!

IlliniJen
09-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Out of our entire condo complex, only maybe 2-3 are actually boarding their windows. A lot of these folks have lived here for decades. I'm hoping they--and I--are right.

I live in Midtown and I don't see anyone boarding up their windows and I know a lot of my immediate neighbors in the same townhouse association are staying.

Texan_Bill
09-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm off to run some errands and get home... To all my Texan family and friends, please be safe. Everyone will be in my thoughts and prayers and I will see all y'all Monday for some "Good Friends, Good Food and some Good Football!!"

Hardcore Texan
09-12-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm off to run some errands and get home... To all my Texan family and friends, please be safe. Everyone will be in my thoughts and prayers and I will see all y'all Monday for some "Good Friends, Good Food and some Good Football!!"

Be safe Bill, hope to see you at the game, don't know what we are doing yet, but if I am in town and can't get rid of the tickets I am going to escape for a bit and enjoy some football!

Brando
09-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I will gone for the rest of the day...For those that decided to hunker down and stay in Houston, stay safe and good luck! Y'all will be in my thoughts and prayers as well.

SheTexan
09-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I drove around Pasadena a little while ago and saw very few windows boarded up, or taped. Looks like most people are staying put also. Krogers was packed, and closed about ten minutes after I got there. I had to make a last minute PANIC run, just to relieve some stress. Really didn't need anything, just stressing out.

FILO_girl
09-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Its about 50/50 out here. We are working together with our next door neighbors (we are the interior units in our townhome block) got get all our french doors and windows boarded up. End units are both ignoring all of this...I ain't going to help those who won't help themselves. We exchanged cell #s with our helping neighbors and said to knock on the door hard if they get in peril...they just moved here from Georgia to open a meat market in Sealy and only one speaks limited English...and she is about to freak...poor girl!

Fry Rd was eery at 8am this morning. Only businesses open were HEB (my stop) and Home Depot...and Linens N Things. My daughter has to work until 1pm AT LnT, that is when HEB is closing also.
Got all my meds that were low, more food and flavorings for the bottled water...and more stuff for the First Aid kit. Should have got some anti-diarrheal because I am sure we will all want to fill our shorts during the night.

Hey y'all who are going to endure this...don't forget the MOSQUITO REPELLENT!!

Errant Hothy
09-12-2008, 11:57 AM
In other weather news, Lubbock has gotten a bunch of rain since yesterday:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/2851360092_75a2dd2902.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2851365354_de9b739c5d.jpg

jaayteetx
09-12-2008, 11:59 AM
You know, on the home page, theres a video with the title "Aftermath of Sundays disaster". In light of what is about to hit the gulf coast, maybe that should be revisted and the title changed.

Texan Asylum
09-12-2008, 11:59 AM

WOW!!!

Rep Hoth!

Khari
09-12-2008, 12:00 PM

it's a swimming pool....neato.... :doot:

CTWade
09-12-2008, 12:01 PM

I read a book about the storm... called A Weekend In September. Such accounts were common place. It was an... enlightening read about the worst natural disaster in American history. The residents in Galveston went through nothing short of a horror movie.

I saw the 1900 momentum on the seawall on TV not too long ago. It was getting splashed by the waves. Kinda ominous.

Errant Hothy
09-12-2008, 12:05 PM
WOW!!!

Rep Hoth!

Thanks,

The photos are not mine, btw.

2BCF
09-12-2008, 12:14 PM

Red Raider engineering. :D

Thorn
09-12-2008, 12:15 PM
So far at least the predicted max sustained winds where I am at is 81, so my apartment complex should hold up. What I am worried about is debries coming through the windows. Unless we get a tornado, the roof will stay, and my car is in the garage.

I've only got one or two more to-do's on my check list, but I'm not moving my computer yet. My TV is a HD-CRT and it's to way heavy to move, so if it gets damaged, it just does. Got my radio and battries. Got lots of water bottles in the freeze hard as a rock now, and two cases of extra water in the fridge. Most of what is in my fridge now is water and cokes. I'll be living out of cans if necessary, or thawed wings if the freezer dies. LOL

For insurance purposes, I photoed all my stuff and uploaded the images to VillagePhotos.

CTWade
09-12-2008, 12:26 PM
http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/7718/ikestreampic5bd5.jpg

I45 bridge, I think? Looks like Galveston will be truly cutoff soon.

Also seeing shrimpers heading out on TV... I wonder what they are doing?

WWJD
09-12-2008, 12:31 PM
I read a book about the storm... called A Weekend In September. Such accounts were common place. It was an... enlightening read about the worst natural disaster in American history. The residents in Galveston went through nothing short of a horror movie.

I saw the 1900 momentum on the seawall on TV not too long ago. It was getting splashed by the waves. Kinda ominous.

He died before I was born but I always heard the story passed down...the water came right on them and they were done!

I'll check out that book. He's sort of considered the family "hero" for want of a better word.

Thanks so much for the book information.

WWJD
09-12-2008, 12:33 PM

If you're thinking of the Causeway it doesn't look like that..but I don't know where this is. I do see the Moody Pyramid in the background so it's somewhere close anyway...

jaayteetx
09-12-2008, 12:34 PM

Is that better than Aggie engineering?

Errant Hothy
09-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Is that better than Aggie engineering?

Of course it is. :shades:

Texan Asylum
09-12-2008, 12:41 PM

Where's the flush lever at? :mcnugget:

Old School
09-12-2008, 12:41 PM
.........For insurance purposes, I photoed all my stuff and uploaded the images to VillagePhotos.
Good idea. My wife just went around the house earlier and did the same thing. She put them on her pen drive though.

GlassHalfFull
09-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Nearly all homes were boarded up and residents evacuated, but two people declined a direct appeal from the police chief, who rode in the truck and then waded through water to reach them.

"We asked them to write their Social Security numbers on their arms for us," Police Chief Randy Smith said solemnly. :eek:

link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5997512.html)

Ya know, may that should be a clue you should get the HELL out!!!!

Texan Asylum
09-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Nearly all homes were boarded up and residents evacuated, but two people declined a direct appeal from the police chief, who rode in the truck and then waded through water to reach them.

"We asked them to write their Social Security numbers on their arms for us," Police Chief Randy Smith said solemnly.

:eek:

Oh my!

ATX
09-12-2008, 12:45 PM

That's down in Freeport/Surfside area.

Thorn
09-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Good idea. My wife just went around the house earlier and did the same thing. She put them on her pen drive though.

I wonder how much a cat with laser eyes is worth. LOL

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/739321/14.jpg

Errant Hothy
09-12-2008, 12:46 PM
So far at least the predicted max sustained winds where I am at is 81, so my apartment complex should hold up. What I am worried about is debries coming through the windows. Unless we get a tornado, the roof will stay, and my car is in the garage.

I've only got one or two more to-do's on my check list, but I'm not moving my computer yet. My TV is a HD-CRT and it's to way heavy to move, so if it gets damaged, it just does. Got my radio and battries. Got lots of water bottles in the freeze hard as a rock now, and two cases of extra water in the fridge. Most of what is in my fridge now is water and cokes. I'll be living out of cans if necessary, or thawed wings if the freezer dies. LOL

For insurance purposes, I photoed all my stuff and uploaded the images to VillagePhotos.

Great idea!

I just relaid it my parents. Thanks.

Showtime100
09-12-2008, 12:47 PM
He died before I was born but I always heard the story passed down...the water came right on them and they were done!

I'll check out that book. He's sort of considered the family "hero" for want of a better word.

Also read Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson. I just finished it again for the fifth or sixth time and am writing a fictional story based on the book (a hobby I'm not very good at currently).

Awesome read.

Errant Hothy
:eek:

I don't understand the attachment to a place or stuff that causes these people to stay.

CTWade

It has been pretty much considered the definitive source on the 1900 storm for a while now. It was published in 1957, back when there still were many survivors alive, so it's almost entirely a retelling of first hand accounts. A newer book, Isaac's Storm, was published more recently. It takes more of a look at the scientific side of things and doesn't have as many first hand accounts, but I hear it's still a good book. I haven't read it yet, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Weekend-September-John-Edward-Weems/dp/0890963908

http://www.amazon.com/Isaacs-Storm-Deadliest-Hurricane-History/dp/0375708278/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221241624&sr=1-1

Also, an updated Galveston bridge pic.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/706/ikestreampic7no7.jpg

2BCF
09-12-2008, 12:55 PM

Which lane is Phelps in?

SheTexan
09-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I guess I have a black heart. I have NO sympathy for those people who are now screaming for help! They put the lives of our rescue people in jeopardy just because they wanted to be stupid and stay on the Island!! Just ignorance IMHO!! It really angers me! If I lived in a zip code that was mandatory evac, I would be gone!!!!

Just heard a guy on KHOU say that they were putting these people in jail!!! GOOD for them!!

IlliniJen
09-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I guess I have a black heart. I have NO sympathy for those people who are now screaming for help! They put the lives of our rescue people in jeopardy just because they wanted to be stupid and stay on the Island!! Just ignorance IMHO!! It really angers me! If I lived in a zip code that was mandatory evac, I would be gone!!!!

Just heard a guy on KHOU say that they were putting these people in jail!!! GOOD for them!!

I think the folks that are staying behind are being warned, but the emergency personnel are being realistic and at this point thinking about their own safety, and letting the people who think they can "ride it out" look after themselves at this point. They can't force people to leave.

It's amazing...I'm watching coverage on TV and they're in Kemah and there's folks walking around in the background taking pictures, even as the areas around them are flooding. I'm just amazed that some people think this is a touristy event rather than a very dangerous situation. Don't go out taking pictures! Stay safe and keep emergency services from having to save your stupid ass instead of people who really need help.

Texan Asylum
09-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Word from the news is that the eye wall is going straight up the Houston ship channel. There is major concern regarding the level of storm surge being forced into that narrow and shallow an area. Not that the channel is either of those two in description, but compared to the open Gulf!

It's epic in proportion.

IlliniJen
09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Okay, watching the news. They're in Galveston. They're showing the beach, and some dude in a big bear suit walks into the shot. WTF?!

Errant Hothy
09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
As of the 1pm update, the pressure has risen again. 957mb/28.25 inches currently.

IlliniJen
09-12-2008, 01:35 PM
As of the 1pm update, the pressure has risen again. 957mb/28.25 inches currently.

Rising is good, right?

Errant Hothy
09-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Rising is good, right?

Yes, rising is good.

Lowering pressure is a possible indicator of a storm getting stronger, whereas a storm with rising central pressure is less likely to strengthen.

Thorn
09-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Okay, watching the news. They're in Galveston. They're showing the beach, and some dude in a big bear suit walks into the shot. WTF?!

I saw that. That guy has to be on something.

The1ApplePie
09-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes, rising is good.

Lowering pressure is a possible indicator of a storm getting stronger, whereas a storm with rising central pressure is less likely to strengthen.

Nothing about this storm makes sense. The pressure seems to have a mind of its own and the storm surge is bigger than the storm should make.

I think Ike is ***** slapping the laws of physics right now