PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Texans possible landing spot for Rudi Johnson

Texans34Life
08-31-2008, 03:49 PM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Texans | Rudi a possibility?
Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:49:37 -0700

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Houston Texans could be a possible landing spot for free-agent RB Rudi Johnson (Bengals).

KEYE SUX
08-31-2008, 03:51 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

We have had our share of aged, broken down running backs

GuerillaBlack
08-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Amen.

I love Ron Dayne (yes, I do), but I'd rather have Rudi Johnson in here. We'll see.

HJam72
08-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Any chance we could trade Reeves for LT?

I'm not sayin'.

I'm just wishin'. :mshadows:

Thorn
08-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Face it folks, picking through other teams left overs is all that's left for this year.

J-Russ
08-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Doesn't say that we're interested, just speculation.

I'm really pulling for Marcus Mason to come here though, I hope Kubiak/Smith look at how he produces this pre-season and gives him a shot.

GuerillaBlack
08-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Face it folks, picking through other teams left overs is all that's left for this year.

Other teams are doing the same though. Texans aren't alone.

Sideline
08-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Doesn't say that we're interested, just speculation.

I'm really pulling for Marcus Mason to come here though, I hope Kubiak/Smith look at how he produces this pre-season and gives him a shot.

Got to agree with you on Mason, the guy looked good for the 'Skins this summer.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2008, 04:18 PM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Texans | Rudi a possibility?
Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:49:37 -0700

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Houston Texans could be a possible landing spot for free-agent RB Rudi Johnson (Bengals).

Clayton's a friggin' genius............with Brown out for the season and with 3 total roster RBs (all either coming off of major surgery or with the nickname of "glass" or, the most promising, suffering from a severe and potentially flaring "stubbed toe.") Well, then, we may be willing to tryout anyone capable of walking on 2 feet without any assistance..........."the Texans a possible landing spot".................yea, a friggin genius.:gun:

steelbtexan
08-31-2008, 04:25 PM
I would rather pick up Keith or Mason over R. Johnson.

Kubes must be putting picking up the blitz as his top priorty when looking to pick up a FA RB.

Not a bad idea with Pit. Balt. Jac. Indy & Tacks coming up.

steelbtexan
08-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Clayton's a friggin' genius............with Brown out for the season and with 3 total roster RBs (all either coming off of major surgery or with the nickname of "glass" or, the most promising, suffering from a severe and potentially flaring "stubbed toe.") Well, then, we may be willing to tryout anyone capable of walking on 2 feet without any assistance..........."the Texans a possible landing spot".................yea, a friggin genius.:gun:

FUNNY

Isn't it great that we are surrounded by the genius that is BSPN.

KEYE SUX
08-31-2008, 04:44 PM
FUNNY

Isn't it great that we are surrounded by the genius that is BSPN.

Right under the blip about the Texans Clayton says the same for the Broncos. Not news just random speculation from a man that knows not what he talks about

Thorn
08-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Steeler Nation has a thread called "Bungholes cut Rudi Johnson". LOL

Corrosion
08-31-2008, 04:50 PM
I just dont think he fits this offense .... He's not a one cut and go kinda back . Then again we could use a short yardage , pound it type of guy who can get ya 2-3 yards when ya need it . I still dont see it happening ....

Nawzer
08-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Someone please inform me why the Bengals cut him? I haven't been following all the cuts around the league that closely. He definitely is not the same back he used to be but I read that he was in excellent shape in training camp. I'm guessing Chris Perry will be the starting back and is Perry really better than Johnson? If the Texans do sign him I think he's going to be a short yardage guy exclusively.

Thorn
08-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Considering what we have at running back, he'd be an improvement. Unless Slaton recovers from his turf toe, we got nothing at running back.

ChampionTexan
08-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Someone please inform me why the Bengals cut him? I haven't been following all the cuts around the league that closely. He definitely is not the same back he used to be but I read that he was in excellent shape in training camp. I'm guessing Chris Perry will be the starting back and is Perry really better than Johnson? If the Texans do sign him I think he's going to be a short yardage guy exclusively.

1. He couldn't average 4 yards a carry in '06, or 3 yards a carry in '07
2. He missed 7 games last season due to a hamstring Edit: He missed 7 starts last year due to the hamstring, but only 5 games.
3. He missed most of training camp this year due to the same hamstring
4. He was scheduled to make $3.2 Million this year
5. The Bengals apparently think Chris Perry and Kenny Watson made him expendable.

Sideline
08-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Clayton's a friggin' genius.

Fantastic post, made me laugh :D

Thorn
08-31-2008, 05:08 PM
2. He missed 7 games last season due to a hamstring
5. The Bengals apparently think Chris Perry and Kenny Watson made him expendable.

Excellent. Another expensive ageing injury prone RB. We should sign him immediatly. LOL

ChampionTexan
08-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Excellent. Another expensive ageing injury prone RB. We should sign him immediatly. LOL

Third time's the charm?

:sarcasm:

GuerillaBlack
08-31-2008, 05:13 PM

Interesting....

Give me Ron Dayne!

Corrosion
08-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Third time's the charm?

:sarcasm:

Fool me once shame on you

Fool me twice shame on me

Fool me a third time .... <insert "dumbass" joke here>

ObsiWan
08-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Interesting....

Give me Ron Dayne!

can you imagine how big Ron Dayne is without having gone to OTAs or training camp??

he'd have to wear Okam's uni

PapaL
08-31-2008, 05:26 PM
In other news, Houston still does not have a running game.

GuerillaBlack
08-31-2008, 05:27 PM
In other news, Houston still does not have a running game.

Us Texans fans everywhere am cry.

alphajoker
08-31-2008, 05:37 PM
I just dont think he fits this offense .... He's not a one cut and go kinda back . Then again we could use a short yardage , pound it type of guy who can get ya 2-3 yards when ya need it . I still dont see it happening ....

If that's the case, then just bring back the Dayne train. :hides:

PapaL
08-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Folks - I hate to break it to you but there is a reason Ron "Flab Cab" Dayne was not re-signed and has not been brought in.

What does it tell you when "those in the know" would rather have Brown, Green and Taylor at RB?

alphajoker
08-31-2008, 05:47 PM
I agree...I don't think there is any chance Dayne ever becomes a Texan again unless something bad really happens.

Thorn
08-31-2008, 06:04 PM
I agree...I don't think there is any chance Dayne ever becomes a Texan again unless something bad really happens.

It already has. But I don't expect to see Dayne back even though he makes for good posting. LOL

TEXANRED
08-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Interesting....

Give me Ron Dayne!

You didn't hear about Dayne?

He's still recovering from the 5 cent coney dogs they had down town a few months ago.

Some say he may never be the same again.

PapaL
08-31-2008, 07:40 PM
It already has. But I don't expect to see Dayne back even though he makes for good posting. LOL

Chris Brown going on IR/Injury settlement is hardly "really bad".
It falls into the category of inevitable.

imatexan
08-31-2008, 07:43 PM

Huh?

Nawzer
08-31-2008, 08:38 PM
2. He missed 7 games last season due to a hamstring Edit: He missed 7 starts last year due to the hamstring, but only 5 games.

Thanks. I guess next year around draft time we'll be looking elsewhere to fill our runningback needs again. I understand the success the Broncos have had with no name backs but I don't think the same pattern applies to Houston automatically. I think it's time to seriously consider drafting a back with our no.1 pick next year. Ofcourse that will depend on if there is a bigger need and if the talent is there. Maybe drafting a back with our no.1 pick next year won't be such a horrible thing.

ObsiWan
08-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks. I guess next year around draft time once again we'll be looking elsewhere to fill our runningback needs. I understand the success the Broncos have had with no name backs but I don't think the same pattern applies to Houston automatically. I think it's time to seriously consider drafting a back with our no.1 pick next year. Ofcourse that will depend on if there is a bigger need if the talent is there. Maybe drafting a back with our no.1 pick next year won't be such a horrible thing.

hopefully we're drafting at #20 or lower because we made the playoffs and other teams will have to pay for all the over-hyped RBs. I'd rather have a top-flight FS or sideline-to-sideline, maniac LB to replace Greenwood. We can use our second pick for a RB.

but that's just me.

GuerillaBlack
08-31-2008, 09:16 PM

He's still recovering from the 5 cent coney dogs they had down town a few months ago.

clogged arteries for the win.

Wolf
08-31-2008, 09:22 PM
I never thought I'd see the day when I wanted Dayne on the Texans

sadly he seems like the only one that has stayed healthy

*edit*

scratch that.. I think if the Texans were smart, they'd place a restraining order on him to stay at least 500 feet, 6 corn dogs and a case of Beer away from Duane Brown

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Rudi Johnson is swiveling his hips for the the Lions as we speak.

ObsiWan
08-31-2008, 09:37 PM

just as well, it would take him until the bye week to complete that Jenny Craig program the trainers would have to put him on.

And I agree with Wolf, Dayne cost us the last stud LT we thought we had. Leave him whereever he is.

GuerillaBlack
08-31-2008, 09:49 PM
We'd probably have like Rashard Mendenhall is Dayne had never hurt Spencer.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Folks - I hate to break it to you but there is a reason Ron "Flab Cab" Dayne was not re-signed and has not been brought in.

What does it tell you when "those in the know" would rather have Brown, Green and Taylor at RB?

For those of you that might not know, Dayne was brought in to workout for the Tacks near the end of May when they were looking for insurance on Lendale White. After his physical and workout, he never heard from the Tacks again........probably because Nashville's buffets couldn't handle both of them in the same city.

MEGA SWATT
09-01-2008, 12:08 AM
this is depressing.....Dominick Williams curse.

ObsiWan
09-01-2008, 01:52 AM
For those of you that might not know, Dayne was brought in to workout for the Tacks near the end of May when they were looking for insurance on Lendale White. After his physical and workout, he never heard from the Tacks again........probably because Nashville's buffets couldn't handle both of them in the same city.

I dunno how they could keep 'em both fed... I mean, you can only raise so many chickens in a given amount of time....

michaelm
09-01-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm surprised that there hasn't been at least one call for Venand Morency now that the Pack has released him...

In case anyone is wondering, this post isn't that call... I just figured someone else would have said it by now...

buddyboy
09-01-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm surprised that there hasn't been at least one call for Venand Morency now that the Pack has released him...

In case anyone is wondering, this post isn't that call... I just figured someone else would have said it by now...

Let's go get Vernand Morency!

Malloy
09-01-2008, 03:45 AM

Personally I'm just looking forward to the regular season :)

Malloy
09-01-2008, 03:52 AM
Morency could be a good fit for the cut n' go actually.

If not... two words: Choo Choo :)

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Morency could be a good fit for the cut n' go actually.

If not... two words: Choo Choo :)

In 2006, Morency upset Kubiak because he was dancing so much at the line. in the 2007 preseason, he seemed to be more in tune to following the ZBS, then seemed to become inconsistent, returning to the dance too often.

J-Russ
09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
(UPDATE: Saturday, August 30) - According to the Texans, the team will start the opener against the Steelers with Chris Taylor and Steve Slaton at runningback. The team says RB Ahman Green is in shape, but may not be ready to start the opener on Sunday.

(UPDATE: Sunday, August 31) - According to the Texans, the team does not expect to take a look at free agent RB Rudi Johnson.

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/08/its_time_for_the_butcher_to_tr_1.html

From a fanblogger, Thomas Hilton. This guy has been notoriously wrong, over and over again so take it FWIW.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2008, 10:55 AM
(UPDATE: Saturday, August 30) - According to the Texans, the team will start the opener against the Steelers with Chris Taylor and Steve Slaton at runningback. The team says RB Ahman Green is in shape, but may not be ready to start the opener on Sunday.

(UPDATE: Sunday, August 31) - According to the Texans, the team does not expect to take a look at free agent RB Rudi Johnson.

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/08/its_time_for_the_butcher_to_tr_1.html

From a fanblogger, Thomas Hilton. This guy has been notoriously wrong, over and over again so take it FWIW.

Then he's wrong again. This information is contrary to everything that McClain on radio 610 affirmed this morning.

ChampionTexan
09-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Then he's wrong again. This information is contrary to everything that McClain on radio 610 affirmed this morning.

I didn't listen to McClain this morning. What specifically did he contradict?

Specnatz
09-01-2008, 11:21 AM

Both of these guys and no real info they are both specualting just as we all have done in this thread. Whom have either of them talked to with-in the organization? Absolutely no one.

Malloy
09-01-2008, 11:53 AM
In 2006, Morency upset Kubiak because he was dancing so much at the line. in the 2007 preseason, he seemed to be more in tune to following the ZBS, then seemed to become inconsistent, returning to the dance too often.

I always attributed the dancing with an eagerness to make things happen. Would be interesting to see what Morency could have produced with Gibbs at the wheel. IMO.

4Texans
09-01-2008, 12:16 PM
I didn't listen to McClain this morning. What specifically did he contradict?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know......:specnatz:

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Both of these guys and no real info they are both specualting just as we all have done in this thread. Whom have either of them talked to with-in the organization? Absolutely no one.

I can't really argue with your point. However, McClain said that Kubiak "told" him that Green will start and rotate as needed with Taylor and Slaton. This is exactly what Kubiak was quoted as saying in the Crummicle and in a pressor. And there is no indication that this has changed.

J-Russ
09-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Yea, I doubt that guy was right.

one: because Green been rested for 4 weeks now, and have already started doing full practices again. It's already been said in the chronicle that he was going to start against PIT.

two: Chris Taylor is horrid at blocking and his running abilities isn't even decent. Ahman might not light it up on the field, but atleast he is a willing blocker.

three: Slaton is nursing a turf toe, so I don't think he will start in this game like some of us wanted him to. We don't know how serious his injury is, so he might not even play in this game.

All this equals Ahman Green starting by default.

TexansSeminole
09-01-2008, 12:34 PM
I've also heard Kubiak say that naturally Ahman won't get 20 carries in this game because he hasn't played much if really at all except one small play. So Taylor and Slaton will get alot of playing time in this game. We will see how Slaton holds up against these blitzing Pitt linebackers. That goes for Taylor as well.

ChampionTexan
09-01-2008, 12:34 PM
I can't really argue with your point. However, McClain said that Kubiak "told" him that Green will start and rotate as needed with Taylor and Slaton. This is exactly what Kubiak was quoted as saying in the Crummicle and in a pressor. And there is no indication that this has changed.

According to HT.com, Green practiced with "no limitations" yesterday, so him playing on Sunday would seem to be the official company line, not exactly confidential information.

As I was thinking about this, I seemed to remember Hilton being challenged about a comment that he made when Colvin was signed saying that the reason he signed with the Texans instead of Indy was because he was told he'd be a starter. I went back and found this comment posted on his blog questioning that remark, along with his response:

just wondering where you heard or saw that colvin was goining to be a starter everything ive been seeing is saying 3rd down pass rusher

Beau,

That was part of the negotiation deal. Even if they don't start him, that was one of the reasons why he came here. I went to college (undergrad and grad) school with some people that work for the Texans front office. Again, I would not publish anything that I wasn't sure about. It may not turn out the way I report it, but I can wholeheartedly promise you it's facts if I publish it. I agree with you. I thought he was only going to be a 3rd down rusher and in pre-vent defense scoring situations. I guess the Texans staff are always free and open to change their minds. -TH

Link (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/06/texans_sign_veteran_lb_rosevel_1.html)

Apparently, starting was guaranteed, but I guess the minor detail of actually making the team was never addressed. Everything about this guy is questionable at best. If he truly does have sources within the Texans FO, he should start wondering if they are trying to sabotage him.

Specnatz
09-01-2008, 02:37 PM
According to HT.com, Green practiced with "no limitations" yesterday, so him playing on Sunday would seem to be the official company line, not exactly confidential information.

As I was thinking about this, I seemed to remember Hilton being challenged about a comment that he made when Colvin was signed saying that the reason he signed with the Texans instead of Indy was because he was told he'd be a starter. I went back and found this comment posted on his blog questioning that remark, along with his response:

Link (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/06/texans_sign_veteran_lb_rosevel_1.html)

Apparently, starting was guaranteed, but I guess the minor detail of actually making the team was never addressed. Everything about this guy is questionable at best. If he truly does have sources within the Texans FO, he should start wondering if they are trying to sabotage him.

Hilton is just another gum flapping windbag. I would like to know exactly what his friends from college do for the Texans front office. I am sure if it is as a girlfriday, then they would not know what is or ever has been negociated between Rick Smith, Gary Kubiack, and the guy incharge of contracts and the salary cap (forgot his name) and Colvin and his and Agent. He has used the line about his buddies working inside the Texans Front office before and it turned out he was wrong. It seems he uses it as a defense for what he writes when questioned about the validity of a claim. Which if he was right more times than he is wrong would be great but he is not.

Working for the Chron right now I trust Roberson and Manful because they are not one to

A) write totaly inept pieces criticizing the team the way certain people RJ does.
B)Come up with wild speculation that is wrong 90% of the time.

Manful is usally more of a fact giver than a reporter which is fine, you need that kind of writting as well. Yes I have criticized her in the past and probably will do so in the future but hey it is the comical after all.

I am not a fan of Hiltons at all, not just because he is a cowgirl fan.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2008, 03:27 PM

A COWGIRL FAN!!!!!!!!!!!:woot2

brakos82
09-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Rudi got signed by the Lions for a one-year deal (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/09/rudi_johnson_signs_with_lions.html).

Mailman
09-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Whew!

The Dude Abides
09-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Tatum Bell has been released as the Lions had to make room for Johnson. I can just see this signing coming

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

leebigeztx
09-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Now that Rudi is in and Tatum is out, maybe Kubiak brings him in. He had his best season under kubes in denver.

J-Russ
09-01-2008, 06:28 PM
LIONS BOUNCE BELL
Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2008, 6:51 p.m.

A league source tells us that the Detroit Lions cut veteran running back Tatum Bell in order to make room for veteran running back Rudi Johnson.

It’s possible that the Texans will sniff around Bell. As we hear it, the Texans were very interested in Johnson, who inked with the Lions before getting a chance to check out Houston.

Bell was traded to the Lions in 2007 as part of the deal that sent cornerback Dre’ Bly to Denver.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Thomas Hilton should have his blogging privileges taken away.

Lucky
09-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Thomas Hilton should have his blogging privileges taken away.
To be fair, Hilton is no worse than the rest of The Chronic's staff.

b0ng
09-01-2008, 06:50 PM

To be extra fair, isn't his position unpaid as well?

eriadoc
09-01-2008, 09:31 PM

Look! I can limbo under the St. Louis Arch!

threetoedpete
09-01-2008, 11:18 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

We have had our share of aged, broken down running backs

He's guessing. and I'm guessing he put one and one together and is coming up with rose fertilizer. There is no " unnamed source" here. Just a bored guru with nothing better to do this week than to stir the pot.
If I was going to go with a power RB....that'd be the young drunkard Cedric. Hire the guy a driver and hook him up to the wagon.

Señor Stan
09-02-2008, 01:20 AM
Hilton is just another gum flapping windbag. I would like to know exactly what his friends from college do for the Texans front office. I am sure if it is as a girlfriday, then they would not know what is or ever has been negociated between Rick Smith, Gary Kubiack, and the guy incharge of contracts and the salary cap (forgot his name) and Colvin and his and Agent. He has used the line about his buddies working inside the Texans Front office before and it turned out he was wrong. It seems he uses it as a defense for what he writes when questioned about the validity of a claim. Which if he was right more times than he is wrong would be great but he is not.

Working for the Chron right now I trust Roberson and Manful because they are not one to

A) write totaly inept pieces criticizing the team the way certain people RJ does.
B)Come up with wild speculation that is wrong 90% of the time.

Manful is usally more of a fact giver than a reporter which is fine, you need that kind of writting as well. Yes I have criticized her in the past and probably will do so in the future but hey it is the comical after all.

Quoting "inside sources" as fact in a public forum is ALWAYS a good idea...

Sincerely,

the "Everyone is wrong about EVERYTHING" thread.