PDA

View Full Version : Refs in training??

SheTexan
08-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Can anyone tell me about the ref with the maroon shirt? Also, why did the refs throw their caps so much? No one around me knew what that was all about, and my only guess was they had refs in training and he was the instructor, so to speak. Don't know, just guessing. I saw several of the black and whites pull little notepads out of their pockets from time to time, so thought they might be trainees.

Sideline
08-31-2008, 03:33 PM
I may be completely wrong, but when an official throws his cap i believe it is because a player has gone out of bounds by his own accord, therefore he may not be the next person to touch the ball if he is it will be flagged, this is different when a player is forced out of bounds.

SheTexan
08-31-2008, 04:08 PM
It didn't seem like that though Andy. They were throwing hats when they weren't close to the sideline. I've had some people ask me, and I just didn't know what the ref in the maroon shirt was suppose to be doing. We were all just setting around guessing. Didn't have much else to do with such a boring game!:)

Sideline
08-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Interesting, I will do some more digging I have a friend who is an amateur official he may be able to help us out on this one.

WWJD
08-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Maybe he was modeling a new color the NFL wants to try out....just joking girl!

I always thought they used the refs trained in camp games....you know like when the Saints/Texans scrimmaged.

I bet a quick email to the NFL office would answer your question.