08-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Dr. Z's predicted order of finish:

AFC South

Colts 11-5
Jags 10-6
Titans 10-6
Texans 6-10

Go thread go.

It's going to be like that in almost all predictions. That's fine with me. It's going to be like that until we produce on the field. When we do, it's going to be a great feeling.

aj.
08-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Queue the 'we don't get no respect,' and 'east coast bias' comments countered by 'you have to earn respect to get respect' in 3...2...1...

YoungTexanFan
08-27-2008, 12:52 PM
I see Young having a regression and the Colts starting slowly. I think the Jags win the division this year. I think Texans miss the playoffs again but win 8-9 games. We have a tough start. The Titans just don't have the team to do it again IMO, and I don't think Vince has the ability as a QB to step up and win with such obvious flaws.

YoungTexanFan
08-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Cue the 'we don't get no respect,' and 'east coast bias' comments countered by the 'you have to earn respect' comments in 3...2...1...

I don't care about that stuff too much, but I do like to hear why each professional gives out a certain prediction.

Errant Hothy
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
And SI has a good record of prediciting these things?

gwallaia
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
I always keep my copies of the magazine predictions until after the Super Bowl. They are rarely accurate.

jaayteetx
08-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Not too impressed with Dr Z`s predictions, although he did pick the Giants to upset the Pats.

HOU-TEX
08-27-2008, 12:59 PM
I haven't read or cared for anything SI related since a particular Championship.

Eh, who gives a hoot about SI :gun:

gtexan02
08-27-2008, 01:00 PM
In all honesty, given our schedule, and the amount of injuries we usually sustain, 6-10 is within the realm of possibility for sure.

I could easily see us going 5-11 or 11-5. Thats the beauty of the NFL

Some have predicted us to go to the playoffs. Others are giving us a 6-10 mark. We get plenty of respect from some, and none from others. So is the life of an 8-8 team

aj.
08-27-2008, 01:03 PM
fwiw, they predicted the Texans to finish 6-10 last year too. They could predict 10-6 and I would care as much.

Speaking of.... I've used up my ration of care on this dead horse. Carry on.

Texecutioner
08-27-2008, 01:04 PM
I see Young having a regression and the Colts starting slowly. I think the Jags win the division this year. I think Texans miss the playoffs again but win 8-9 games. We have a tough start. The Titans just don't have the team to do it again IMO, and I don't think Vince has the ability as a QB to step up and win with such obvious flaws.

Interesting theories you have there.

The Jags could certainly drop off as well. They have no WR's at all. What if Fred Taylor's old ass finally gets hurt for a while and Jones Drew is forced to pound the ball the whole time? Things won't be as easy.

Plus, they lost that huge guy on their D line. Spears I believe, and that is a BIG loss. Then they're rookie DE Harvey just signed, so he'll have no impact at all this year. If they were to win the division, it won't be because they were a top AFC team. Plus, many people aren't aware of how tough their schedule is this year.

Now the Colts should be fine if Peydon is healthy and can do the same stuff. Even if MH is not the same, Gonzo played really well at the end of the season for them.

Then the Titans are looking great outside of their passing game. VY looks awful as a passer again this year, and they have even worse WR's than the Jags. They will have a good running game again though, and a really good defense.

Then that brings the Texans, who are the BIG Question mark. If the Texans D can over achieve, then I really like our chances. After the Dallas game though, I'm really worried about the D. And our RB's need to stay healthy which is unlikely as well. The thing that most people aren't accounting for though is that the Texans have no depth at all. If the Texans were to lose any one of out KEY players, they're done. If AJ, Demeco, or Mario Williams goes down then the Texans will have no shot at all. That is a big worry of mine, is if one of those 3 key players were to miss a lot of time. Those 3 guys are to important to this team's success this year, and they have to stay healthy to make a run at the wild card.

Now that brings the Texans who

Mailman
08-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Lombardi's team analysis focuses entirely on the addition of Rosevelt Colvin and the team's lack of a consistent pass rush.

"The Texans only chance for their first postseason birth depends on a fearsome pass rush. And for that to happen, Colvin has to bring the house."

TD
08-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Looking at the predictions for the rest of division, he must be predicting 0-6 or 1-5 in the division and about .500 outside. Says more about the division than the Texans IMO.

Ole Miss Texan
08-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Don't see anything wrong with the Texans record prediction. Agree that Jacksonville is really going to push Indy this year for the division- Peyton's injury seems to be more serious than first thought and that spells disaster. Tennessee is a scrappy team- they've got a great running game and good defense.

Texans... we're a much improved team, but we're still a .500 team +/- 2 games. No telling how it swings but I'm looking forward to the season. Few injuries and being positive in the turnover category will be huge for us.

Hardcore Texan
08-27-2008, 01:15 PM

AFC South

Colts 11-5
Jags 10-6
Titans 10-6
Texans 6-10

Go thread go.

Hardcore's predicted order of finish:

Colts 11-5
Jags 10-6
Texans 9-7
Titans 5-11

Go Texans Go!

What? Mine means just a much as theirs, especially to me.

Ghetto D
08-27-2008, 01:57 PM
It may just be me, but I'm thrilled to see SI post a 6-10 prediction for us. They always seem to be so far off in these predictions that I feel like 10-6 is even MORE of a reality now.

Qman
08-27-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't know that this will carry over, but the Texans have not been turning the ball over in the Preseason. That is a really good habit-one that leads to overachieving.

Personally I see the Texans at 8-8 again or maybe 9-7.

swtbound07
08-27-2008, 02:23 PM
maybe he watched our preseason game against dallas and noticed our defense sucks?

Thats kinda the elephant in the room that none of us are talking about. How are we an above .500 team with this defense?

If I had to bet, i'd go 6-10 or 7-9

ChampionTexan
08-27-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't know that this will carry over, but the Texans have not been turning the ball over in the Preseason. That is a really good habit-one that leads to overachieving.

Personally I see the Texans at 8-8 again or maybe 9-7.

Thru three games last preseason, we were plus 4 on turnovers, although I don't know what the breakdown of that number was. So I completely agree that it may or may not mean anything (how's that for going out on a limb?). It is a positive that the offense hasn't turned the ball over at all to this point - just special teams. (And yes, I know there were a couple of balls that should have been intercepted, and fumbles that could have been recovered, but they weren't).

One difference between this year and last is the passing yards given up by the D. Believe it or not, we're actually giving up about 40 yards less per game than thru the third preseason game in '07. We're giving up about 20 more rushing per game. Compared to the regular season last year, we're giving up about 15 yards a game less in total. Meaningless I realize - especially when you consider that it doesn't break down our starters vs. their starters, but at least it kind of refutes the sky is falling mentality. It may not be rising a whole lot, but our level of mediocrity seems to be stable at worst.

Specnatz
08-27-2008, 02:53 PM
I haven't read or cared for anything SI related since
the last swimsuit edition.

I fixed it for you Hou-Tex

beerlover
08-27-2008, 02:58 PM

AFC South

Colts 11-5
Jags 10-6
Titans 10-6
Texans 6-10

Go thread go.

blaspheme & utter curses :foottap:

can we just start the season....NOW :play:

Thorn
08-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I predict the Texans will not be predictable.

ChampionTexan
08-27-2008, 03:17 PM
I predict the Texans will not be predictable.

So if you turn out to be right, it means you were actually wrong, and we start all over again.

hadaad
08-27-2008, 03:29 PM
My prediction:
Texans: 16-0
Indianapolis: 3-13
Jacksonville: 3-13
Tennessee: 0-16

See, 'cuz Indy and Jax split their series and are both undefeated against the Titans.

That's how much validity I give to any preseason prediction for record.

devo-x
08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
I would think either 8-8 or 9-7 (at best) sounds reasonable this year

YellerLotYeller
08-27-2008, 03:52 PM

AFC South

Colts 11-5
Jags 10-6
Titans 10-6
Texans 6-10

That looks like the laziest predictions I have ever seen.

Texan_Bill
08-27-2008, 03:55 PM
I haven't read or cared for anything SI related since a particular Championship.

Eh, who gives a hoot about SI :gun:

QFT!!!!

I buy one SI issue a year.......... any guesses?? :cowboy1:

texanhead08
08-27-2008, 03:58 PM
It looks like Indy's health is going to be a big key to their season. I would be shocked to see Manning miss any games but keeping him healthy is going to be an even bigger deal than normal for them. They need a healthy Marvin Harrison also and Gonzales to show improvement in his 2nd year.

The Titans seem to be what they always are ultra conservative on offense with a good defense. They need Young to not lose games for them and I am not sure he is able to do that at this stage of his career unless he has really started learning defenses.

The Jags will be the Jags, tough as hell on defense and smash mouth on offense. Garrard protecting the ball dictates how they roll, they need those wr's to make some plays. They could be dangerous with a potent passing game to go with their running game. Their defense is always tough lets see how much losing the dt affects them.

I think how the db's play is going to be a huge factor in our season. If we can cause some turnovers and negate giving up a few big plays we should be ok. I just want someone to step up and give Mario some help putting heat on the qb. That would go a long way in covering up our weakness at db. I think 7-9 wins is a realistic pick based on being without Dunta for who knows how long at this point, not to mention how good is he going to be coming off that injury. Please have a good year I want us to go to the playoffs so bad I can taste it.

mussop
08-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Indy is one injury from being an average team. Im talking about Manning of course. The question is can Manning stay healthy even though he is getting older? Manning cant last forever and when hes gone so is their dominance.

Tennesee's defense isnt as good as people are saying. They lost their best cornerback and 2 best defensive ends. They will be tought to run on but can they stop the pass? Their offense will have to run the ball against 8 man fronts because VY is no threat passing the ball. Partly because they dont have any real #1 options at WR and partly because VY isnt very good at it. How will VY hold up if he is forced to run alot? Will the defense be able to slow down other teams passing attacts? They continue to make poor decisions in the draft and loose talent in the offseason. Sooner or later that will catch up to them.

Jacksonville's offense is similar to Tennesse's in that they are going to be one deminsional. Thing is that they dont have the threat of the QB taking off and running for a first down. Their defense is not going to be as good at stopping the run with the under acheiving Kennedy replacing an allpro. Can the running game continue to play well with no real threat at WR and half of their one two punch (Taylor) getting older? They spun their wheels this offseason bringing in Porter and Williamson.

I love it! If a few things go right we have put ourselves in position to have the best team we have ever had. I have no grand illusions of us going to the super bowl but we are steadily improving our team while the other teams in our division are leveling off or sliding because of getting older, making bad additions and/or losing key players. If things keep going the way they are its just a matter of time. Lets just all pray that Boldin doesnt end up with the Jags of Tacks.

LORK 88
08-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Is it just me or does this look more like a 2007 review (I haven't seen the other picks, just going of the AFC South)?

GuerillaBlack
08-27-2008, 10:37 PM

AFC South

Colts 11-5
Jags 10-6
Titans 10-6
Texans 6-10

Go thread go.

Heh, what else is new? We get a prediction like this every year. We deserved it other years mostly, but now? Hell no.

Vinnie
08-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Heh, what else is new? We get a prediction like this every year. We deserved it other years mostly, but now? Hell no.

I don't know, it's not a reach or a slam to say they only win six this year IMHO. Let's face it they have some very glaring weaknesses still. Granted I do think they are a much better team then the Carr/Rosenfels led team of 2006 that had the same number of wins. My heart and "diet cokes" don't agree, but it's still hard to argue against a six win season. I do think that he's reaching with the Tacks winning 10 and being a wild card team, come on! VY is a bust and he WILL prove that this season, I feel pretty confident in that statement. I didn't bother looking at what Vegas had the Titans' wins at but if they're in line with SI I'll take the under all day.

Mailman
08-28-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't know, it's not a reach or a slam to say they only win six this year IMHO. Let's face it they have some very glaring weaknesses still. Granted I do think they are a much better team then the Carr/Rosenfels led team of 2006 that had the same number of wins. My heart and "diet cokes" don't agree, but it's still hard to argue against a six win season.

I'm not gonna get too wound up over Dr. Z's latest, because he's usually wrong and rarely right, but I do think a six-win prediction is a reach. The pessimist's prediction that they'll only win six is equally funny as the optimist's prediction that they'll win twelve. This team won eight games last year playing in arguably the toughest division in football, even though it faced an epidemic of injuries that depleted both talent and depth. The Texans were 6-2 at home and 2-6 on the road. With home games against the Ravens, Lions, Bengals, Dolphins, and Bears, in addition to our divisional games, I see no reason why the Texans can't equal or better their 6-2 home record. If they can win six at Reliant and three on the road, they're a winning team for the first time in franchise history.

08-28-2008, 12:16 AM
maybe he watched our preseason game against dallas and noticed our defense sucks?

Thats kinda the elephant in the room that none of us are talking about. How are we an above .500 team with this defense?

If I had to bet, i'd go 6-10 or 7-9

the defense has looked horrible, i agree... but try and wait for the regular season to really judge what you're seeing.

WesmanTexanfan
08-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Ok Texans at 6-10, well im used to that kind of disrespect, but Im laughing out loud at the Titans going 10-6, no freaking way do they win more than 9 at the most, im expecting 7-8, IMO....

And to everyone who is freaking out about our D: ITS F'ING PRE SEASON, IF YOU THINK STARTERS ARE OUT THERE BUSTING THEIR ASS YOU ARE JOKING YOURSELF, CHILL OUT AND WAIT A WEEK!!!!!!!

infantrycak
08-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Is it just me or does this look more like a 2007 review ?

Pretty much and it's pretty silly. They predict all six of the AFC playoff teams to be the same and four of six in the NFC. Typically half of the playoff teams do not make it back the next year.

swtbound07
08-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Ok Texans at 6-10, well im used to that kind of disrespect, but Im laughing out loud at the Titans going 10-6, no freaking way do they win more than 9 at the most, im expecting 7-8, IMO....

And to everyone who is freaking out about our D: ITS F'ING PRE SEASON, IF YOU THINK STARTERS ARE OUT THERE BUSTING THEIR ASS YOU ARE JOKING YOURSELF, CHILL OUT AND WAIT A WEEK!!!!!!!

Um Wes....CC Brown isn't going to turn into a football player in a week. Neither is Reeves. Neither is Faggins. Neither is Weaver. Neither is Greenwood. Dunta Robinson aint coming thru that door. Aaron Glen aint coming thru that door. Marlon McCree aint coming thru that door.