PDA

View Full Version : Bengals cut Rudi Johnson

stiff
08-25-2008, 08:36 PM
I am watching MNF and at half time they just said that the Bengals are shopping Rudi Johnson to help at WR.

Since WR seems to be a position of strength for us, as long as everyone stays healthy, would you be interested in trading for Rudi Johnson to help the running game?

Would he be a good fit in our system?

El Tejano
08-25-2008, 08:40 PM
No. He really hasn't been the same since his injury and I'm just not willing to go that road again with that type of running back.

J-Russ
08-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Probably won't have to. He's going to be cut, and other teams know that, so why not wait til that happen and save you're draft picks?

KEYE SUX
08-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I believe everything will work out if we get rid of Brown and Green. Our young backs should progress through the year. Of course I would love to have an established HEALTHY back so I would be concerned that Johnson would be like our recent aquisitions. Last year he played in 11 games (started 9) and had under a 3 yd/carry average. Fluke? maybe but not something that I would be wanting to take a risk on

Hervoyel
08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Trades for running backs rarely work out well and Rudi Johnson has some miles on those wheels of his considering he only came into the league in 2001. Look at his average and it's dropping from 4.3 ypc to 3.8 in 2006 and finally 2.9 last year. Factoring in his injury I'd say any kind of trade for him would be pretty much nuts unless it was for peanuts.

TexansLucky13
08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
I swear there is already a thread about this somewhere.... or maybe that's a different Auburn back.

Ole Miss Texan
08-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't.

If they wanted a WR... they probably wouldn't trade for Jacoby or Anderson straight up. That would mean we'd have to give up Walter or Davis? Walter is a for sure no, and Davis probably not too. He's too valuable for us. Even though Slaton has looked good at KR, having Davis and Slaton back there and having AD as a WR is much more valuable.

We don't match up well for a trade without losing more than we're willing to give up. I would trade Davis for Joseph Addai or Jonathan Stewart... but that ain't happenin!

Silver Oak
08-25-2008, 09:22 PM
interesting that Johnson has said he won't be undergoing the season ending surgery he needs for his shoulder, yet Cincy's FO must think he will either go down during the season, or opt for the surgery at some point.

bah007
08-25-2008, 09:36 PM
interesting that Johnson has said he won't be undergoing the season ending surgery he needs for his shoulder, yet Cincy's FO must think he will either go down during the season, or opt for the surgery at some point.

With Johnson injured, how long can the Bengals FO really expect Chris Henry to fill his spot before he gets arrested again?

They need another WR. We would probably have to give them Walter, and Rudi Johnson isn't worth that to me.

Sal Rosenberg
08-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Jacoby for Rudi???Seems fair!

cuppacoffee
08-26-2008, 10:41 AM
With Johnson injured, how long can the Bengals FO really expect Chris Henry to fill his spot before he gets arrested again?

They need another WR. We would probably have to give them Walter, and Rudi Johnson isn't worth that to me.

Things are getting worse for the bungles:..

It appears that Chad Johnson's injury is a little more serious than the Cincinnati Bengals originally said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3553260

"the wide receiver has a partially torn labrum in his left shoulder. The team had said the injury, which occurred in a preseason game on Aug. 17, was a sprained shoulder."

NFL doctors need to go back to school?

T.J. Houshmandzadeh missed his second preseason game with a sore hamstring.

Hard to feel sorry for a team that would sign Chris Henry..:gun:

:coffee:

PapaL
08-26-2008, 10:49 AM
No

/thread

Texecutioner
08-26-2008, 10:55 AM
No way do we trade anyone for Rudi Johnson! Rudi Johnson spells Amaan Green and Chris Brown all over again. He's the same kind of banged up RB that is damaged goods just like them. Cinci needs a running game really bad right now. Reall bad! So, if they're willing to trade their franchise RB of the last 6 years or so, that tells me beyond a doubt that Rudi is DONE!

I might be willing to pick him up as a free agent for next to nothing, just to add more depth, but I wouldn't pay him more than value meal which is all he is worth at this point. If we could get him as a free agent for low money he wouldn't be that bad to add to the depth chart. You'd think between all 3 banged up backs (Brown, Green, Johnson) that each week at least one of them could give you 10 to 12 carries a game to compliment Slaton and stop some of the wear and tear on him.

Hooston Texan
08-26-2008, 12:06 PM
I would not even trade them Harry Williams for Rudi. And I say that with all respect to Harry.

shawn76ers
08-26-2008, 10:15 PM
i heard a rumor about Cincinnati wanting to trade Rudi johnson RB for andre davis...how any one else heard about this?

scourge
08-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Where did you hear said rumor?

And there is a thread about this in the NFL section

Hardcore Texan
08-26-2008, 10:19 PM
i heard a rumor about Cincinnati wanting to trade Rudi johnson RB for andre davis...how any one else heard about this?

I have only heard that Cincy is shopping Rudi for a quality WR. Which loosely translated means they are probably going to cut Rudi anyway at some point, when he can be had for free, IMO.

But fortunately for the Texans organization we have met our quota for injury prone, re-tread RB's and should steer clear of the bear trap.

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Outside a multiude of message board chatter there does not appear to be anything being reported on a Davis/Johnson trade.

shawn76ers
08-27-2008, 01:29 AM
The trade idea is just a rumor..but its all over the Bengals message boards.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t415503.html

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-27-2008, 02:46 AM
We just signed Andre Davis to a 4 yr/16 mil contract extension with 8 mil guaranteed.

shawn76ers
08-27-2008, 03:15 AM
We just signed Andre Davis to a 4 yr/16 mil contract extension with 8 mil guaranteed.

Isn't kevin walters from cincinatti ?

another link where rudi is mentioned in a trade:

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-27-2008, 03:23 AM
Isn't kevin walters from cincinatti ?

another link where rudi is mentioned in a trade:

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169

Someone posts a random trade idea on a message board and you act as if it has some credibility.

shawn76ers
08-27-2008, 03:27 AM
No i said it was prolly a rumor....but it was a rumor that was started on a message board about the Texans bringing in Mike bell...& guess what happened !!!

Brandon420tx
08-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Mike Bell was scheduled to work out with the Texans, and our top 2 RBs were injured at the time. Didn't we cut Bell like immeadiatly too??

Lucky
08-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Rudi was just cut (http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6997) by the Bengals.

Even though he returned to practice last week, the Bengals apparently decided they hadn't seen enough of the new and improved Rudi Johnson this summer and cut the man once projected to be their bell-cow running back.

Peter Schaffer, his agent, said Saturday from Denver, "That's what we've been told."

The Bengals are expected to annouce their cuts at head coach Marvin Lewis' 3 p.m. Saturday news conference.

"We want to keep this positive," said Schaffer, who negotiated a five-year deal for Johnson that had two years left. "Obviously we got wind they were moving in a different direction when (ESPN) reported they were trying to trade him. We think Rudi's got plenty of football left and we're going to look for the best situation for him."

GuerillaBlack
08-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Hmm, Texans need to just try him. He was injured last season, and only played in 11 games (started 9), so there is a small risk.

Stats: http://www.nfl.com/players/rudijohnson/profile?id=JOH653266

Lucky
08-30-2008, 01:42 PM
The '06 version of Rudi would be a good complement to Slaton. But, this is 2008. Just don't know how much Rudi has left.

Hardcore Texan
08-30-2008, 01:47 PM
6 of one (Rudi Johnson), or a half dozen of the other (Chris Brown)

GuerillaBlack
08-30-2008, 01:51 PM
I say we try. If healthy, I see the pre-2007 Rudi Johnson.

08-30-2008, 02:09 PM
i would love to bring him in and cut the hell outta chris brown/taylor.

Lucky
08-30-2008, 02:17 PM
I say we try. If healthy, I see the pre-2007 Rudi Johnson.
The problem with trying Rudi out now, is that if he's on the opening day roster his contract is guaranteed for the season. Bring in Johnson after the 1st game, he's on a game-to-game contract.

Silver Oak
08-30-2008, 02:49 PM
I had that sorry sack last year on my FF team. Far as I'm concerned, he's BLACKBALLED from the Texans.